Bass Settings

PDA

View Full Version : Bass Settings

BEAST89
12-06-2005, 07:43 PM
I know the guitar forum's got like 80 pages of this stuff for guitar so I was thinking about one for bass. For those of you who haven't seen the guitar one, this could be the place to put your favorite settings, settings to get a certain sound, settings to sound like someone, or anything I forgot. Unfortunatly, I don't have any to start it off but I'll pass that torch on to you... :D

MetalUpTheAss
12-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Settings to sound like me:

bass: 10
mid: 7
treb: 5 or 6

The mids and trebs is changable (But I <3 a good middy sound, treb is fairly important for tehtaps, but distortion helps for that)

/can'twaituntilhegetsanampwithmoresettingsformoretonalvariation

Greenday389
12-06-2005, 08:01 PM
To get my settings(I think it's Mike Dirnt's settings but I can't remember):

Bass:Max.
Mid:Min.
Treb:Max.

PianoBlackSP
12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I use
Bass - 5
Mids - 5
Treble - 7
Someimtes roll back the tone, sometimes have it on max. I kinda like it, reminds me of Offspring bass tones in a way. Also like the slap tone from it.

grimreaper65
12-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Can someone give me a good fingerstyle metal tone that will cut through?

MetalUpTheAss
12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Can someone give me a good fingerstyle metal tone that will cut through?

"Metal" tone = high bass & treb, killed mids, BUT cutting thru (i.e. w/ a band playing) will require some mids too.

So like, bass 10 mid 4-6, treb 8.

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-06-2005, 08:32 PM
My tone...

I have an active bass with two bart pups.

Fingerstyle
Bass : 75% of the way up
Mids : 55% of the way up
Treble: 53% (well just a tad lower than my treble)
Pick-Up Balance : I balance about 75% to the neck pickup, 25% to the back pickup.

With this, my amp settings are : (I'm just going to cut this down into bass/mid/treb)

Bass: 75% up
Low Mids: 75% up
High Mids:25% down
Treble: 75% up

I find the way I manage my midrange really nice. I prefer a beefier slap to a brittle trebely slap. The pickup balance allows me to switch between fingerstyle and picking very quickly. All I really need to do is set my pup balance back when I'm playing with a pick. This gives me a very deep, tight sound with dropped mids when picking. When slapping, I tend to turn my pickup balance more towards the neck pickup for a deeper sound.

FleaBuc
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
I like it likes this-
For normal rock-
Bass- 10
Treble- 8
Mids- 4

For heavy, more downtuned rock I have to really turn up my mids to about 7 or 8 to cut through.

Caustic
12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
I usually play with bass and mids about equal, and treble cut a little (one or two marks down) for fingerstyle and pick. When slapping, I swap mids and treble. Depending on the music, I might boost one setting or the other to suit. I like my largely balanced tone, sits real nice in the mix. I've never seen a need to put one setting or the other through the roof, I adjust just enough to suit the music and no more.

83lespaulstudio
12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Settings to sound like me:

bass: 10
mid: 7
treb: 5 or6

you sound, just like me! lol

:cheers:

Bassman86
12-07-2005, 01:34 PM
On my amp:

Bass: 10
Mid: 10
Treble: 2

MXR M-80

Bass: 9
Mid: 10
Treble: 6

On my bass it is totally bassed up. I do add some treble occasionally if I want a bit more punch to my tone.

deusexbass2150
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM

yep thats what i do :cheers:

telemaster1952
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM

how do you get any tone from that?

tubadude
12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
on my bass, i have my highs, p'up selector(its a pot), and bass, set in the middle. (theres a knotch in the pot to tell me where middle is.

and my amp is all flat, with the mids a little lower (13 channel EQ) but i can make all my changes on my bass. i raise the bass a bit to get a havier sound. i turn the bridge p'up all the way if i want a jazz bass sound. and all the way to the neck and bass up if i want a nice, ballad sound. and with tweaking with those, i can get almost anything with it. i need a new battery though. . .

Greenday389
12-07-2005, 05:25 PM
how do you get any tone from that?

It sounds good to me.

I have the tone on max when I want a more Trebly sound, or I have the tone all the way down to get a more bassy sound.

TheDistrict
12-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Can anybody tell me how to get a mark hoppus-ish tone?
Yeah, yeah "HE SUCKS AT BASS"
but im in a ska/pop-punk band now and I like his sound

Citiz3n 3ras3d
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
For regular bass playing,I like to use:
Bass:0
Mids:10
Treb:0

And on my guitar,I let my neck pickup go to max,with my bridge pickup all the way down and my Tone knob down all the way to bass.When I want to cut through,I'll raise the tone on my bass a bit.

For the slapping/funk type stuff,I use:
Bass:Max
Mids:None
Treb:Max

And both my pickups are on max and my tone on full treble

Generic,I know,but it works for me:D

2113C&C
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
mids up nice and high, and a fair bit of treble and a touch of bass when i have the distortion on. i dont have an amp really now, but i had it on ****e0 settings :sad:

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Drop your mids, boost your bass, boost your treble. Lean more towards the back pickup, and play with a pick for that nice bright sound.

Bass: 85% up
Mids: 20% up
Treble: 70% up

I'm not a really big fan of his tone, but that's pretty much what he's got going.

Riryoku
12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I jack the bass and treble all the way, and drop the mids down pretty much all the way.

MetalUpTheAss
12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
you sound, just like me! lol

:headbang:

I must say, I love the way we sound. ;)

UtBDan
12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
I love my amp at:
Highs: 9
High Mids: 6
Low Mids: 2
Lows: 7

my bass changes depending on what I'm trying to do. However I really wish I had a J-bass or a Bongo (mmmhm.... 2 pups... delicious)

Metal/harder:
Highs: 6
Lows: 9

Funk:
Lows: 5

friggen 2 band EQ.. lol

Now I've borrowed a friends Geddy before, and I must say, I use that bridge puppy more than that neck. lol.

Wishlist: MusicMan Bongo, Geddy Lee Jazz, Tokai P Bass

when I get those 3 basses...

....I'll really wish I had a better amp. lol

Bassman86
12-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Dan, what bass(es) do you have? I forgot and want to know because of what you just said^.

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I love my amp at:
High Mids: 6
Low Mids: 2
Lows: 7

my bass changes depending on what I'm trying to do. However I really wish I had a J-bass or a Bongo (mmmhm.... 2 pups... delicious)

Metal/harder:

Funk:
Lows: 5

friggen 2 band EQ.. lol

Now I've borrowed a friends Geddy before, and I must say, I use that bridge puppy more than that neck. lol.

Wishlist: MusicMan Bongo, Geddy Lee Jazz, Tokai P Bass

when I get those 3 basses...

....I'll really wish I had a better amp. lol

Dan's got GAS!!!

For those of you who don't know, GAS is G(ear)A(cquisition)S(yndrome)

OddHeadedPunk89
12-09-2005, 12:52 PM
my tone is
bass: 3 oclock
Mids: 1 oclock
treble: 5 oclock

UtBDan
12-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Dan, what bass(es) do you have? I forgot and want to know because of what you just said^.

Tacoma Thunderchief, MusicMan SUB X02, Ibanez GSR200 that I haven't played in a long time that I need to get the string height adjusted (I don't have an f'n 1.5mm allen wrench to the turning I need, I only have a 2mm one. I'm half a mm short. Do you know what it was like when I found that out. I cried. I CRIED INSIDE. Why can't I play my first bass, because your screwdrivers are half a milimeter too small. HALF A MILIMETER.)

someday when I get that 1.5 mm allen wrench I'll adjust the strings and defret it.

until hten it's just the SUB and Chief till I get a Bongo. Which won't be soon most likely. But it could happen. lol

daddylonghair
12-11-2005, 01:11 AM
For Slapping... my style ofcourse...

Bass 8.5
Mid 8.5
Treble 6

ahaha

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Tacoma Thunderchief, MusicMan SUB X02, Ibanez GSR200 that I haven't played in a long time that I need to get the string height adjusted (I don't have an f'n 1.5mm allen wrench to the turning I need, I only have a 2mm one. I'm half a mm short. Do you know what it was like when I found that out. I cried. I CRIED INSIDE. Why can't I play my first bass, because your screwdrivers are half a milimeter too small. HALF A MILIMETER.)

someday when I get that 1.5 mm allen wrench I'll adjust the strings and defret it.

until hten it's just the SUB and Chief till I get a Bongo. Which won't be soon most likely. But it could happen. lol

GAS I SAY!!! First the phycodelic sexfunk cowbass or whatever. Then he wants the upright. Then the Thundercheif. Now a Bongo?!?!?! AND A NEW ALLEN WRENCH!!!

Carl_D
12-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Can somone recommend a really punchy setting? Something like you hear in Unstable by Adema.

UtBDan
12-11-2005, 10:55 PM
GAS I SAY!!! First the phycodelic sexfunk cowbass or whatever. Then he wants the upright. Then the Thundercheif. Now a Bongo?!?!?! AND A NEW ALLEN WRENCH!!!

yeah I dunno, I'll still want the sexfunk when I'm f'n rich.

I still want an upright, just can't afford it.

I got the Thunderchief.

The Bongo is just the only electric bass that would make me 100% happy that wasn't custom built, I think.

elemenohpee
12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
It's about time I got around to this...

Normal settings (On a 15")
Mids: 7

I just love the rumble it puts out. And the muted highs remind me of a stand up.

Secondary Settings (15")

Highs: 8
Mids:7
Lows: between 3 and 5.

It's great for bringing out the high ends in chords.

Normal Settings (8(or 4)x10" and SWR 550X)
Highs (Volume): 7
Highs (Tone): 6
Mids (Volume): 7
Mids (Tone): 6
Mids (Frequency): 6
Lows (Volume): 8
Lows (Tone): 8

I haven't yet found a really good secondary setting on my stack, but It would probably be close to my 15" settings.

Of course, this is all for my Rockbass Streamer 5. I had different settings for my Kramer Aluminium neck, but I had to sell it. (Car got in a hit and run overnight, I had to sell it to get enough money to pay for repairs. Car was totaled)

GreenDayChris
12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
hey
can anyone good me some good rage against the machine settings, particularly for any songs on their first album.
I have Low, low mid, high mid, high and a distortion channel on my amp.

Cheers in advance.

My settings now
Low - 7
Low Mid - 6
High Mid -8-9
High - 10

trunkshope6
02-08-2006, 12:51 AM
How do get a Matt Freeman tone with a jazz bass ,playing fingerstyle.

And can you tell me the settings in 8 way equalizer.

ToolBass_dude
02-11-2006, 04:12 PM
ok, i have two questions regarding settings, and one technical.

Settings:

Matt Wong (Reel Big Fish)- i know its that musicman growl, so i use my musicman pickup, but i still can't quite get the sound right.

Olli (Rammstein)'s tone on "Engel". It sounds really growly, almost overdriven, but i can't figure it out. The video shows an acoustic, but i don't think he used one on the recording.

OK, the technical question: can someone please give me a good explanation of the functions of a Parametric (low para-mid, high para-mid) eq, and how to harness it's potential? until now, i've left it flat, and used the EQ on my bass, but id like to see what i can do with the amp if i really tried (and as i plan to use my other bass a bit more- its a passive).

Any help appreciated:cheers:

Alex

VandySe7en22
06-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey i listen to metalcore like killswitch engage and the likes...what kind of settings do i need?

right now im at:

low-10
mid-4
high-8

and what does the gain need to be at?

TestForEcho
06-16-2006, 11:22 PM
If you want to sound like TestForEcho, you use a lot of mids. There's not a really bassy sound to my playing at all, it cuts through really well. Much more melodic than rhythmic.

gonzosrevenge55
06-16-2006, 11:48 PM
right now, i'm still searching for my perfect tone. the hartke ha4000 is really touchy. and i'm starting to discover the shape and intensity knobs, which make a bigger difference than i thought.
anyway, right now: lows:7.5-9 (the 215 bottom cab means i don't really have to crank the lows) lowmids: 4-7 highmids: 3-5, highs: 6-7. thinking of upping the mids and cutting the highs, but like i said, it only takes the slightest tap to radically change the tone.
bass is a passive musicman sub. second knob broke off a day after i got it (slammed the brakes, and only had a gig bag). i just got it fixed and don't know what it does. usual config is knobs 1+2=max. knob 3=50%.

like dan, i'm hoping for a bongo (two humbuckers, of course), since it made my sub sound like a toy. speaking of which, how's the thunderchief? i've never heard of it, but dan sounds like he's a man of good taste.

mangablade
06-17-2006, 12:56 AM
bass 7
mid 3-6 (depends on if im playing by self or in band, low if solo, high if band)
treble - 5-7 (same deal, but other way round)

usually on bridge pup unless i want a nice bassy/woofy sound, then i go to neck.

amp is
bass 9
mids 7
treble 9

(i just like the amp settings high so i can control most of my tone on the bass, i leave the mids lower than the rest because the mids are the most likely to be scooped.)

Iluvpowerchords
06-18-2006, 12:44 AM

Huzzah!

That's exactly what I do. ;)

Niff
06-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Anybody know what settings Justin Chancellor from Tool uses?

Applehead
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Alex,

Your EQ is your main weapon in tone acquisition. I leave my bass flat mainly and use the EQ on my GK, it's much better quality.

Obviously an EQ basically boosts or cuts certain frequencies in your sound. Your bass sound is made of up of more than one frequency and when these are boosted or attenuated it gives your abss a completely different tone. just as your eq does on your bass. I cant tell you what to set it to, as it depends on the sound you want your bass to make. I havent posted in this thread really because i change my bass settings so much, the list would be endless and i am always fiddling. i can make myself believe a 5mm turn makes a difference. i think it does, as you have to be easy with the EQ, as you can balls up your sound. of course, it's no trouble to put it back so it's good to experiment. i learnt about EQ in my sound engineering course and it's a vast subject, but i learnt more by listening to records and trying to replicate the tone i hear by messing around.

just play and see what you find. Play an open E, and then turn the treble all the way up and down while it rings out, then think about how it is affecting our sound.

And a question to UTBDan...

Why the Geddy Jazz over the Marcus Miller? I've been eyeing up the MM Jazz bass, it appeals to me greatly...

p.s i've jus got back from the studio, we've just recorded our EP and it sounds great. i wish you could hear it and let me know what you think. had to tell you as i am so excited ;)

UtBDan
06-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Geddy Lee over MM because it costs less. lol.
Noticed I chose a Tokai P-bass. Sure I'd love a Steve Harris (so impossible to find now) or a Mike Dirnt, but... Tokai's are $200 and my dreams aren't that expensive; they're quality for the price of admission.

indestructible8
06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
does anyone know how to get duff mckagans sound with a jazz bass?

BassSurfer
06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
does anyone know how to get duff mckagans sound with a jazz bass?

funny, i was going to ask same question lol....

kaptink
07-11-2006, 03:41 PM
The Settings for the Bassist from spinal tap (and both Guitarists oddly enough)

Bas=+11
Mid=+11
Tre=+11

mangablade
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Your bass sound is made of up of more than one frequency and when these are boosted or attenuated it gives your abss a completely different tone.

if i wanted to tone my abs, id do some cardio and sit ups ;) :p:

XeNoCiDe730
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
my tone

Amp (SWR Workingmans 12 Combo):
Bass + 65%
Mids + 30%
Highs + 40%
These settings work great with my combo...Some people say 12" speakers cant handle the bass but I wouldnt really know since I dont turn my bass up to 11...I have pushed the combo to full power quite a few times though, Gain and Volume up to 100% and it worked well...

Bass (Ibanez SR506):
Bass +20%
Mids +20%
Treble +20%
The settings on the bass vary with whatever I'm playing at the moment...I usually boost the EQ on the bass just a tad to try and get the natural tone of my bass...

BroDD
07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I want heavy metal sound kinda, how should I have the settings on my amp?
I don't understand this with bass, mids and stuff.. on my amp I have:

PREAMP: Gain, Volume
How much gain should I have together with volume? (If I have lets say.. 10% volume, how much gain should I have?)

NOTCH: Frequency
What should I have here?

Equalizer:
63, 150, 350, 800, 2K, 5K

How should I have the settings for a good heavy metal sound?
NOTE: I can't put the stuff on 0-10, theres no numbers.. just.. nothing and max and anywhere in between that...

mhylands
07-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Normal Playing
Bass: 10
Mids: 8
Treb: 5

Slap Bass
Bass: 8
Mids: 2
Treb: 9

Split-Coil Pickup
Volume: 10
Treble: 3

Single Coil Pickup
Volume: 5
Trebel: 10

RIC4003
07-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I play alot of Rush and have been searching for the perfect setting but cant quite find it btw i am looking for Rush's earlier sounds... any suggestions :cheers:

TagRingo
07-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Bass at like 40%
Low Mid 100%
High Mid 100%
High - 0%

At the high high risk of sounding stupid, does anyone know what 'Level' does? (yes, i realize i should look in the manuel or the website or whatever). It seems to just be like..volume..only theres already a volume knob.

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
^That would depend on the amp you are using. What brand/model of amp do you have?

IndieMetalhead
07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Bass EQ:

Treble cut slighty, both pickups, active mode + bass left neutral

Amp EQ: (goes from -5 to +5 except gain)

general:
Gain: 3
Low: 4ish
840ish Hz on mid knob
mids: 3ish
Treble: 4ish

slap: turn mid frequency knob down a bit more, and then completely scoop the mids

jseadale81
07-27-2006, 07:13 PM
does anyone know how i would get the sound of eric wilson from sublime?

Incubus_SCIENCE
07-27-2006, 07:24 PM
does anyone know how i would get the sound of eric wilson from sublime?
This is what I set my amp at when I'm playing ska or reggae.

Countour all the way up, presence at 11 o'clock.
Treble: 9 o'clock
Hi-mid: 11 o'clock
Low mid: 11 o'clock
Bass: 3 o'clock

I use only the neck pickup on my bass, and play with fingerstyle. I rest my thumb on the neck and play between the neck and the neck pickup.

Scard
07-27-2006, 09:45 PM
for me (fingerstyle)

bass - 4
mid - 4
treble - 1

i have a bass and treble knob on my bass that are bother at half way...adn they supply the bass and treble..

elemenohpee
07-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Right now it depends on what bass I'm running.

The gibson g-3
Bass - 7
Mids - 8
Highs - 6

The bass has alot of natural midrange without sounding like a tin can.

Warwick Fortress One fretless
Bass - 9
Mids- 7
Highs - 6-8 (somewhere between, depending on my mood.)

Tallman
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Amp - Stagg (?) :( Piece of Crap.

But I get to use a Trace Elliot, so ill tell you my settings on that.

High - 7
Mid - 7
Low - 9

Bass Spector Q4 Pro - Passive, unfortunately.

Bridge - Volume Full, Tone Full

Neck - Volume Half, Tone Full

hatebreed219
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Amp

Input (gain I guess)- like 5 and half I guess, it's past half way but lower then my Bass and low mid knobs.
Bass- 6
220 Hz (Low mids)- 6
Middle- Just over 2
1.6 kHz (High Mids)- 8 or 9
Treble- Around 7

Bass

Master Volume- Full duh
Pickup Blender/Selector- P pickup only ( I have the P/J Deluxe-whatever-add-some-more-names-in-there-Fender-Bass)
Bass- Full
Treble- Full
Mid Boost/Cut- Full, as in mid are fully there, not fully cut :P

Nice thick, punchy tone, just need a 1x15 or 2x12 for some more lows now. :)

EDIT: ah yes, I almost forget about my sweet sweet Ashdowns other features, my bright, deep, and in/out EQ switches are all on. Sub-harmonics off.

This works great with pick and fingerstyle. Plus my pedals give me a low end boost and a deeper thicker sound. Even natural my amp sounds great though.

Forcemaster
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I have somewhat on odd EQ, my ashdown has a "deep" and "bright" buttons which increase bass and treble respectively, but increase the bass and treble of every EQ range... if that even makes sense.

Anyway, I also have a 5 band EQ and I go for this.

Bass: 4
Low Mids: 6
Mids: 1/2
High Mids: 8
Treble: 6

With both the "deep" and "bright" buttons pressed.

sometimes I use the "sub harmonic" feature which produces a note an octave lower than the one i'm playing and blends it in.

Ashdown amps are fun.

TagRingo
07-28-2006, 03:01 PM
^That would depend on the amp you are using. What brand/model of amp do you have?

Sorry about that...if you're still around its a Crate BT50

Phil1988
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Anyone got any Slipknot settings? And maybe Stone Sour too?

indie-bassist
06-20-2007, 09:15 AM
This thread is 2 years old...

:wtf:

Phil1988
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
So it's back up there now...

indie-bassist
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Well done for searching anyway :peace:. Umm, there is a metal tone on the last page, will that not work?

DesolationRow0
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
i have only a fender rumble 100 (yeah, i know it SUCKS) combo and the only setting i find usable in it for my style is like.......

Bass: -11/-12
Hi Mids: +11
Low Mid: +12
(i ALWAYS keep the mids balanced)
Treble: +13

I dont have the amp here right now, so those settings are ABOUT what i use...

but you should fiddle around with the controls to learn what they do and get to your own sound...

DesolationRow0
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
someone asked for a finger style metal settings that cut through, well, thats what i use mine for, but they might not work out for you...

Sheer<3Attack
07-02-2007, 01:35 AM
How bout a Paul McCartney (Beatles era), Krist Noveselic (Nevermind era), and 70's John Entwistle setting?

Charlatan_001
07-02-2007, 04:19 AM
My settings are:

Bass: 2.5 O'Clock

Mid Freq: 9 O'Clock

Mid Level: 3 O'Clock

Treble: 3 O'Clock

And on my 3-way selector switch thing, I usually lean towards the single-coil mode and the series mode (i think).

If I'm playing fingerstyle, tone is rolled all the way up; with a pick, it's taken down a few notches

akaDan
08-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Sorry to be a bother but could anyone help me out? I'm looking to get the tone heard in "The Guns of Brixton" by The Clash. Example here if anyone can help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiQoq-wqZxg&mode=related&search=
Ta.

sammcl-15
08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
On my mxr m-80 I have:

Mids' 11/12
Treble: 2

On my amp I have:

Mids: 12
Treble: 4 o'clock

Joe-Fish
08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Someone help with a good Matt Freeman tone with an 8 band equalizer?

Narcotics
08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Slap
bass=+10
mid=0
treb +8 - 9

fingerstyle
bass +7-+10 varies
mid +7
treb +1

Copius
09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
I use an Ibanez SW100 w/ a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive pedal.

For songs that make use of heavy distortion, I usually put the Bass at +15, the Mid at -7, and the Treble at +7. When I'm using light distortion or playing the whole song clean, I keep the bass all the way up, the mid at +7, and the treb at -7 for that sort of earth-shaking, god of thunder kind of tone. It all really depends on how much overdrive I use though; the "scooped" mid gives an awesome tone that cuts through like a buzzsaw, but sometimes my "God of Thunder" tone works well distorted too. Basically I mess around with my settings a lot.

Froggy McHop
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
We really should have a proper bass settings thread, instead of countless posts saying 'I have my setting like this...'

Copius
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
We really should have a proper bass settings thread, instead of countless posts saying 'I have my setting like this...'

That's actually a really good idea. I just felt like posting my settings...

Drmckool
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
mine are for everything

Bass- 6.5
low mid - 4.5
high mid - 5
treble - 7

with my warwick's pre-amp flat and my stingray set for slap

i think that every facet of the sound is important so i keep them fairly even

swope387
11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone know how to get a Victor Wooten and Flea tone?

Incubus_SCIENCE
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/DigeratiPrime/holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

swope387
11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
btw im using cort art 4 and laney rbw300

Felkara
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Actually, speaking of thread resurrection - anyone know Mic Todd's bass tone? (from Coheed and Cambria)

Volta_91
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
^+1

slash1890
12-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I love how probably a dozen people have asked for a certain bassist's tone and received no answers. Here's something I found while perusing the internets one day, I decided to save myself a copy. Hope this helps.

"BEATLE BASS - Boost 100Hz by 2 or 3dB, (if you don't use a pick then boost
3kHz by 3 to 6dB.)

SILLY LOVE TONE (McCartney) - (Similar to Beatle Bass with more warmth.)

Boost 100Hz by a few dB then boost 500Hz by 6dB or so. Cut 300Hz by about
3dB and cut 12kHz by 6dB. [Good for ballads, rockin' blues or shuffle.]

BASS IN YOUR FACE (Aggressive John Entwistle sound.) - Boost 1 to 2 kHz by 6

to 9dB. Cut 200Hz by 6dB. For more "brittle" sound cut 100Hz by 2 or 3dB.
This will help a busy bass line to slice through the mix.

TWANG THANG (C&W"ish") - To accentuate "twang" : Cut 200 to 250Hz by 6dB or

so. (Good for reducing "mud".) Boost equivalent amount of 1kHz for "twang".
Boost 100Hz by 1 or 2dB.

MO-BETTER MOTOWN (OR REGGAE) - (Smooth muted tone.) Cut 1kHz by 5 or 6dB.
Boost 200Hz by 3dB. Boost 100Hz slightly. Cut high end ("hi eq") by 6dB or

so. For "reggae" sound - boost a few more "dB's" of "low end".

MOTOWN (More punchy and aggressive.) - As above but instead of cutting 1kHz,
cut 5kHz by 6dB or more. (Both the "mo-better motown" & "motown" sounds work

nicely in a mix cluttered with mid-range elements such as guitar, piano &
horns.)

JACO JAZZ (Jazz sound) (also good for fretless bass) - Boost 1kHz by 6dB or
so. Cut 200Hz by as much as 9dB or more. Boost 100Hz by 1 or 2dB. Cut 12kHz

("hi eq") by 1 or 2dB. For "Marcus Miller" sound - cut at 800Hz rather than
200Hz."

I generally use:

Bass: 11 o'clock
Lo Mid: 1 o'clock
Hi Mid: 2 o'clock
Treble: 1-2 o'clock

I have a preamp on my bass too, generally I leave that flat but I roll it around for certain songs.

Your41Plague12
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I get a great Rex Brown-ish tone through my SVT stack and Spector. The settings are as follows:

ON BASS:
Neck Pickup Volume: about 75%
Bridge Pickup Volume: 100%
Treble: Cranked
Bass: about 75%

ON SVT CLASSIC:
Gain: (as needed, usually about 4 or 5)
Bass: 5
Midrange: 6-7
Frequency: Position 3 (800 Hz)
Treble: 7-8
Master Volume: (as needed, sounds better turned up, of course ;) )

Hope this helped someone! Merry Christmas

SoftParade1967
12-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually, speaking of thread resurrection - anyone know Mic Todd's bass tone? (from Coheed and Cambria)

+1 on that

Gofretless
12-25-2008, 07:07 PM
My Settings

Bass:
Neck and Bridge Pickup: Full
Tone :Full

MXR Bass D.I.

Colour switch on (Boosts bass and Treble a bit)
Bass : 9 O'clock
Mid: 1 O'clock
Treble: 3-4 O'clock

Amp Settings
Flat.

Haanz
12-25-2008, 08:52 PM
On my amp: treble/mids left alone, 7 band mids curve is flat at the low end, curves up a little until the middle, at 400Hz gets a little cut, then curves up from flat at the next band.

On my bass' active preamp: flat, sometimes a little treble boost. Pickups at 60% bridge, 40% neck.

On my SansAmp (fingerpicking): blend at max, treble at 2-3 O'Clock, bass at 2 O'Clock, drive at 8-9 O'Clock and presence at max.

When I use a pick (usually just for overdriven stuff), I'll usually stick the gain up to 10-11 O'Clock and drop the treble just a touch.

The fingerpicked stuff sounds like a cheapo version of early-RATM TimmyC's tone with a blunter attack but a bit more treble and the picked sounds similar, but with a bit more dirt and throat.

lordofthefood1
12-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Hm, whatev.

'Neck' pickup with tone almost all the way down

Frequency notch almost completely "+" value

63Hz -5%
150Hz +25%
350Hz +30%
800Hz +25%
2kHz flat
5kHz flat

I'm not sure what I'm accomplishing
if I need to play harmonic parts, I completely boost my on pickup tone

If I feel like getting gritty, I crank my Neck tone
I add my Bridge pickup with full tone
(it has an uhm bad hum? And I roll the notch the opposite way)
But this is almost never

Lol, silly edit. My notation for that is so horrible. It is basically saying that "0" is -100%, "5" is 0%/Flat, and that "10" is +100%. +25% would be at like a "6" or "7" or something.

Now I have notched to the opposite part as before (so like between 10 and 11 o'clock or something). I think I flattened my mids just slightly from before and I know I raised my highs.

I find it TONNES easier to EQ while using fuzz/distortion (though that affects how I sound cleanly, obviously). Perhaps I just need an EQ pedal now?

Schme
12-26-2008, 08:05 AM
On my amp
Bass - 10
Mids - 8
Treble - 9

On my bass
Gain - 3
Bass - 9
Treble - 7
Volume - MAX!!

Volta_91
01-11-2009, 10:58 AM
On bass-

Volume- 10
Tone- 7

On amp-

Bass- 4
Mids- 7
Treble- 6

Casketcreep
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Have you seen his set-up on guitargeek?
He literally just has an amp and a bass.

I don't think he cares much what he sounds like to be honest.

thefitz
01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Mark Hoppus has a frowny face EQ. Cut the bass and treble. Crank the mids.

I don't know why I know that...

aztech00
04-11-2009, 06:43 AM
How do i get a steve harris tone?
Or maybe something similar.

moody git
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
How do i get a steve harris tone?
Or maybe something similar.
im pretty sure there have been laods of threads about this.
his sig flatwounds have something to do with it

tristanw4
12-26-2009, 02:18 AM
i'm looking for a cliff burton tone, i play alot of early metallica songs.. if someones already asked and been answer direct me to were the answers is

BassMasta121
12-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Bass: 7
Low Mid: 10
High Mid: 9
Treble: 5
Contour: 5

kinda Progressive sound :D
Now All I need is a Bongo 6 HH...but thats in $3500 time :(

gilly_90
12-29-2009, 08:58 AM
i'm looking for a cliff burton tone, i play alot of early metallica songs.. if someones already asked and been answer direct me to were the answers is

Humbuckers, big muff distortion with a decent amount of mids.
At least that's what I've found comes close

JRubenM
06-15-2010, 01:26 AM
im looking for a jason newsted's chime bell-ish tone that he has on the Black Album. Any good settings? I have gallien-krueger goldline bass amp with gain, contour, treble, low mid, high mid, and bass knobs.

Lhosha
07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I usually use:
Lows - 9
Lo Mids - 3
Hi Mids - 5
High - 5

(Jazz bass) Both pickups at max and tone at max - usually change p.u. volume and tone for different songs/styles

thin air
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Bass: 4
Mid: 7
High:9.5

ChemicalFire
07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
My tone is something like;

Bass : 12 Oclock:
Low Mids: 4 Oclock
High Mids: 6 Oclock
Treble: 12 Oclock

Humbucker bridge pick up. Brings the growl through on my musicman.

blablala
12-23-2010, 06:11 PM
hey...
can someone tell me something about Rage Against The Machine??
it's wired cos it's funk-metal....
please!!

GharmanNL
08-01-2011, 08:19 AM
For the love of god guys..

Ever heard of Gain structure? Let me explain;

Every electrical component in your amp adds up to a certain fixed noise threshold.

Disconnect your jack plug at the amp side and turn up the volume to max to hear what i mean.

If you dont use enough gain the natural noise of the preamp will be larger in proportion to your instruments signal, This is because the noise level is fixed. For (a non realistic) example; if your noise threshold is 10 dB, and your gain is 20 dB there is gonna be more noticable noise (50%) than if you were to use 30 dB's of gain(33%). On the other hand too much gain will eventually result in clipping and compression.

Now lets say youve gained in properly but you've got your bass knob at +10, This will also amplify the noise generated by the preamp. On the otherhand if you cut all the rest by -10 and leaving for instance the bass at 0 you will lower your signal to towards the noise threshhold. When your sound hits the final stage of your amplifier you will eventually lose a clear balanced tone and your dynamics.

So if you do like to make some drastic changes to your sound.. keep this in mind.

If you want to leave everything flat but the bass boosted to the max, boost your bass to 5 and cut the rest to -5 instead.

As for my desired settings:

Gain: just below 0 dB
Bass, Mid, Treble: +3 dB, 0 dB, +2 dB
Semi parametric: 500 Hz @ -3 dB

Spaz91
08-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Did you deliberately search for a thread to rant it?

Also yes, I have heard of gain structure. :p:

So old thefitz is there. :haha: Nostalgia.

ETHANEVIL
08-01-2011, 11:55 AM
i have a vox amp. very trebly with even all the settings at 0. i usually have the tone all the way down, with the bass at about 5, or 6, and the treble at about 7 or 8. i dont have a mid knob on my amp, so thats about as good as i can get it for metal. for punk, pop, and other things like that i have the bass at 7-10 (depends on what exact band im playing to), the treble at about 3-5, and occasionally the bright switch on. i dont partucularly like the bright switch without a lot of bass because it makes my strings sound like cardboard :haha:

13Kelly13
08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I just set up an EQ that sounds pretty nice,

Bass: 25%
Low Mid: 40%
High Mid: 45%
High: 70%

That's with the EQ on my bass being flat, I often only change the settings on my bass to get an EQ more precise to what sound I'm looking for.

Now I'm not sure about gain structure that Gharman was talking about (my amp doesn't have a gain setting). Regardless, it sounds good and punchy, and produces a very nice tone for my rig.

srx365
08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Because my amp is really warm sounding, I set it to:
Bass: 0
Mids: Full
Treble: Full

It would sound horrible in a Hartke, but sounds great in my amp. If I want to fatten the tone, I crank my SRX's Bass Knob (Active Eq) and set the Treble Knob to various areas depending on what tone I am going after.

thunderbritches
08-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Necropost on a necropost on a necropost on anecropost on a necropost on a necropost on a necropost on a necropost

I actually remember when this thread came out the first time, and it's funny to see how it has survived over time. I miss seeing some of these guys around here, it's sad that they've gone. But as Spaz said, it is indeed a bad case of nostalgia lol.

Anyway it is a very useful thread and a good resource. Potential Bass Archive material?

DFX11
08-02-2011, 01:37 PM
How do you get Mike Levine's tone from Triumph?

romkaman
03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
guys what amp settings for cliff burton kinda tone in for whom the bell tolls and anesthesia. Thx :D

MaggaraMarine
03-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Lol what a necrobump...

@ romkaman: You need distortion and wah pedals for that kind of tones.

But yeah... I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob. I hate the boomy muddy cranked bass sound. I cut my bass frequencies a bit on the TNT130 amp because it sounds pretty boomy and muddy without doing that. Also many people seem to have very extreme settings (knobs at max and min). I think it sounds much better if you start with everything at 12 o'clock. And if that doesn't sound good, boost or cut some frequencies. I don't like to go lower than ten o'clock or higher than two o'clock.

I don't understand settings like bass and treble: max, mids:0 or bass and treble: 0, mids: max. That just sounds too extreme.

Zaqq
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob
What's wrong with me? I always cut it a bit, adding treble and high mids.

moody git
03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
the mo' bass, the mo' better :p:

Sliide90027
03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Hm...Bass Pre>Boss OD20>Digitech BP-8 Pre>Digitech 4band Parametric>Genz Benz FET & Tube Pres>Genz Benz Shaping Circuit.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Really the Ibanez Vari-Mid III that many throw away is everything, AFTER the Elixer Strings of course.

Vol. 100% (Of Course)
Bal. 3min to the Bridge
Bass: + 7.5 db
Treb: -7.5 db (attenuate up towards 0db as the strings age)
Mid: + 3db
Mid Sweep: Right below the Mid Boost Dot (my guess is somewhere between 1K-500Hz, but it might be 200.

MaggaraMarine
03-24-2013, 05:14 PM
What's wrong with me? I always cut it a bit, adding treble and high mids.
Nothing wrong with you. I said that I can't stand the tone of a cranked bass knob. I also cut it a bit to get rid of the muddyness. I want my sound to have clarity. Many times when I see professional gigs, they always have too much bass and the sound is really muddy and unclear. I don't really like it.

cha33 armstrong
03-25-2013, 06:55 AM
chris from MUSE before truck load of effects, bass middle treble presence anyone?????

moody git
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
which album/s? pretty much his whole rig changes each album. i'd imagine before worrying about EQ you'll need to worry about all of his effects etc. each one will add its own little colour to the sound which will be hard to replicate.
(that also means i can't find anything regarding EQ settings but pages and pages and pages upon pages of gear info :p: )

cha33 armstrong
03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
which album/s? pretty much his whole rig changes each album. i'd imagine before worrying about EQ you'll need to worry about all of his effects etc. each one will add its own little colour to the sound which will be hard to replicate.
(that also means i can't find anything regarding EQ settings but pages and pages and pages upon pages of gear info :p: )
I was thinking BH&R more SMBH, starlight and KoC

Ziphoblat
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
But yeah... I'm pretty terrified about the fact that everybody seems to crank their bass knob. I hate the boomy muddy cranked bass sound.

So much this. It's as if the thought that goes through many amateur bassists minds when take a look at the controls on their amps is along the lines of "well, I play bass, not middle or treble" as they continue to dial in the most awful indistinct mess they possibly can.

pinheadslts75
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Hartke Graphic EQ:
32- 8 db
64- 6 db
120- 3 db
250- 2 db
500 - flat
1000- -3db
2000- -6db
3000- -3 db
5000- flat
8000- 3db

The idea is this:
1.) I use a Fulltone OCD as an almost always on grit sorta thing, and it's pretty high-mids happy.
2.) Balancing the mix. I usually cut 250-500 on guitar the same way I cut 1khz-3khz on bass.

moody git
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I was thinking BH&R more SMBH, starlight and KoC
as i said before, you're not going to get near the tone on EQ alone. at the very least you'll want a fuzz - chris uses a russian muff and i think an animato? through seperate amps etcetcetc (http://www.musewiki.org/Bass) Live at least KoC tends to be played on a rickenbacker 4003 (im talking pre sig status bass) with SMBH and starlight on american deluxe jazz basses. not exactly sure what he used in the studios though i imagine it was those two again.

to my ears, keep the bass pretty flat and slightly boost the mids with a very small cut to treble with not too much presence.

cha33 armstrong
03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
as i said before, you're not going to get near the tone on EQ alone. at the very least you'll want a fuzz - chris uses a russian muff and i think an animato? through seperate amps etcetcetc (http://www.musewiki.org/Bass) Live at least KoC tends to be played on a rickenbacker 4003 (im talking pre sig status bass) with SMBH and starlight on american deluxe jazz basses. not exactly sure what he used in the studios though i imagine it was those two again.

to my ears, keep the bass pretty flat and slightly boost the mids with a very small cut to treble with not too much presence.
Yeah im saving for a big muff I got the synth down already

romkaman
06-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Guys could anyone help me out on this one? Cliff Burtons tone in For whom the bell tolls( the riffs, not the intro) and actually all of the ride the lightning album and orion( the first riff and the one after the bass fill), he has some distorted tone, which i cant crack down using nor the amp settings, nor the bass big muff. Thanks in advance :)