Drop D for that heavy, anti-yippy-dog sound

PDA

View Full Version : Drop D for that heavy, anti-yippy-dog sound

Silent Steel
12-06-2005, 08:23 PM
If you've ever tried to play heavier rock songs, you may have run into the problem that your songs just sounded too... well... happy. You hear on the CD that the guitar sounds low and throaty, but yours sounds like a yippy little dog. You're sure you're playing the chords right, you've got your chord chart right here... What's wrong? Most likely, it's your tuning. In standard (EADGBe) tuning, most power chords and 5th chords (the basis of just about all hard rock songs) are played high on the neck on the 5th, 4th, and 3rd strings; with the 2nd and 1st (light)strings played open or muted. Because of the use of these high strings and the lack of a 6th (bass) string, standard powerchords often sound high and whinny, even with heavy distortion.

The solution? Retune your guitar to Drop D tuning (DADGBe). In Drop D, you bar the top three (bass) strings to form the power chords. The top three played open (DAD) is a D power chord (or D 5th, with the distortion, it's hard to tell), so to change chords, just move up the neck the number of frets equal to the number of half steps you want to go from your base D chord. Be careful to always mute your high strings (GBE) as they will be out of tune with most of your chords.

Not into heavy rock? Drop D is still a great choice. You can turn off the distortion, play a barred chord, and hammer on the 4th string with your pinkey to get an awesome transition when fingerpicking or strumming. There are several examples of riffs with and without distortion on this site.

TJ
Any questions? Email me at big_red_strat@hotmail.com. Enjoy!!

Kornfist
12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
...This is standard guitarist knowledge.

Partyboy2k05
12-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Umm...most people these days skip regular tuning all together and go to drop d (not full, just the 6th string). I met a guy that didn't even really know power chords in standard tuning, all he could play was drop d. Kinda sad.

Kornfist
12-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Umm...most people these days skip regular tuning all together and go to drop d (not full, just the 6th string). I met a guy that didn't even really know power chords in standard tuning, all he could play was drop d. Kinda sad.

Agreed, I only play in Drop D when I want to play SOAD or Deftones or Rage. Other than that, I'm always in standard.

SilentDeftone
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
D5 is a D power chord.

I fail to see the point you're making, other than 'tune to drop D now!'

-SD :dance:

That_Pink_Queen
12-07-2005, 01:27 AM
^agreed

Silent Steel
12-07-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I use standard tuning all the time. I just thought it would be helpful for noobs who are looking through the tab archives and happen upon a tab in Drop D. Your call though.

TJ

Burpin'Worm
12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
All your atricle is really doing is saying that there's a tuning called drop D. You didn't even properly instuct people how to tune to a drop d (not that it's difficult to find out). There's quite a few lessons on tuning already written that are more informative too.

mark trimonti
12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
to tune to drop d all you have to do is tune in the 7th fret on the Freakin low E string.

NotAJock2Day
12-30-2006, 10:31 PM
to tune to drop d all you have to do is tune in the 7th fret on the Freakin low E string.

:mad: YEAH n00bs! HGIHgjhgsehgeh

But seriously, even though this is directed at new players it's better that they learn how to play decently in standard first. All they learn is how to play sloppy one fingered power chords by switching to Drop D.

garden of grey
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Lol, there are "heavier" tunings if you are basing off pitch. How about B standard? Also, your wound strings are not called bass strings usually.

AthenasGhost
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Drop D's for lazy people.

garden of grey
01-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Like its hard to play power chords in the first place?

NovemberRain273
01-07-2007, 04:49 PM

Not really. I use Drop D in my songs sometimes just so I get that extra note. And my songs are usually filled with stuff over that which most people dont think are "lazy" :)

That said, I dont really see the point of this. Who said you have to play power chords starting on the A string? Most classic pioneers of metal use standard and are pretty heavy, i.e Metallica (pre black album), Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Black Sabbath.....etc. If you think about it Drop D only gives you two more notes lower. It is useful true, but you can't bash standard tuning when there's such a small difference between them.

That's just my two cents :)

*chief*
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
there are so many different ways to tune your guitar that there is no point in suggesting just drop d. if your gonna write about different tunings why not mentiond other types anfd what sounds and styles they are suited for. put some thought into it.
personally im not going to retune my guitar unless the extra notes are specific to the song, so if you aint gonna use em dont waste your time retuning, your guitar is tuned the way it is for a reason and it took a long time for it to develop, so if it aint broke dont fix it

fragydig529
01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I only play in Standard... I hate drop tunings, so lazy

Metalsmack355
01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
very true my good sir. But i prefer, Drop C, or Drop Bb, usully those r my heavy tunings

fragydig529
01-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Drop C is a nice tuning, but Drop D is just kinda stupid. I used to use Drop C, but I just like Standard now

Jonjy2
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Yea i like standard tunig...it just has this sounds that i really like..
I kinda feel cheap playing clean in Dropped D
I like Dropped C

and B standard BEADF#B (or something like that) is used by Evanescence alot, and i like to play their stuff...

so yea i ahve two guitars...and i used to tune one down to B and the other one i used for standard, dropped D and C...

so yea all tuning r used for different kinds of music and songs imo

staticoverdub
01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Drop C is where it's at.

Donkey Fly
01-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Drop D is a really great type of tuning...very versatile and you can hear a difference in the bottom end of your sound but just remember to tune it back up before you go on stage to play standard tuning song.....:)

Gakusey
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Drop D is a really great type of tuning...very versatile and you can hear a difference in the bottom end of your sound but just remember to tune it back up before you go on stage to play standard tuning song.....:)

I once forgot to and started to play on stage and was like: "****, this doesn't sound right... Sorry folks, gotta retune :P"

.N30C0N.
01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I rarely play a drop anything.. Unless I have a song that has to have a really beafy bass part into it then I slap a drop something.... Usually Drop C or Drop Bb. And then I just pluck that string when I have some palm mutes and shit...

The problem with ppl is that they think drop tunings are for ppl who can't play guitar... You still have to play the Fu-cking thing!