lazy band

PDA

View Full Version : lazy band

tongue untied
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
well, ive got a problem.

my band mates are really lazy

like, its bad. i cant even explain. what s some good ways to motivate them?

also- i play clasic rock/ 80's rock, but they want to play more new stuff? whats the best way to incorperate these 2 completly different styles??

thanks - kiegon

first thread baby, ya

GuitarN00b
12-06-2005, 09:12 PM
i bet if you played more new stuff, they'd be more inclined to play

but i'm not a bandleader
just a thought

TheLastLegacy
12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
some times you just gotta play what everyone else wants and let them know you believe in them when they try also maybe stop being a racist ha

cokeisbetter
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Racists=bad. Unfortunately, so are lazy bandmates.

SilentDeftone
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
He's not being racist :wtf:

Perhaps try playing some new songs. If they aren't enjoying what they're playing, they won't want to play it!

-SD :dance:

JimmieRayVai
12-06-2005, 09:27 PM
hmm, get a few brass players. that helps everything. a good brass section brings all styles together, in my opinion.

Eladamri
12-07-2005, 08:34 AM
hmm, get a few brass players. that helps everything. a good brass section brings all styles together, in my opinion.

Sometimes people just don't make sense.

Metal with brass? Apart from Ephal Duath any time it has been tried it has just been godawful.

And the last time you heard Indy rock sort of thing with a brass section?

He says he plays "Classic rock/80's Rock". There is plenty of space for brass in that I'll grant you, but it's still not a prominent thing in either style.

Bulletbass man
12-07-2005, 10:57 AM
id suggest starting a new band how new are you talking 90s not too much differences in a lot of bands but if now maybe vr or shinedowns pretty good

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I'm having the exact same problem, all of my bandmates except the drummer like frikkin EMO. It pisses me off so bad. Personally, I would like to play classic rock style, but then also a little bit of punk. I cant find a way to compromise with them.

tard on tour
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
i converted my bass player from pop punk to cr
im good :cool:

tongue untied
12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
well- they liek hardcore stuff, with drop tunins and ****. so i guess ive jsut got to conform, and maybe have a gentle influence towards some softer songs every once in a while?

buckethead101
12-08-2005, 10:21 AM
me I'm a metalhead while most of them want some alternative music.

That pisses me off.

thejoner
12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Convert the two and make something original

geenday409
12-09-2005, 11:30 PM
just let em play some of their music. i like pop punk and punk, but im forced to play a few metal songs because im in a band with 2 metal kids. how bout you each pick a song or something. unless your writing your own songs, in which case you shouldnt have to compromise.

That_Pink_Queen
12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Make up your own sound. Make a fusion. Personally I make very poppy songs with classic rock arrangement and chord structure. Fusion.

goathair_3
12-10-2005, 02:37 PM
"And the last time you heard Indy rock sort of thing with a brass section?"

-Arcade Fire
-Architecture in Helsinki
-Broken Social Scene

So, a lot of times.

semus
12-10-2005, 03:35 PM
well, first of all u cant let anything stop u,
if anything blocks you from goin onwards then
get rid of it.
i'de try to find more motivated players, of course
they're lookin for different outcomes of their music,
as ur in 80's rock and they want newer stuff..

what my band did was jsut jam together alot to in order
to find kinds of music we all like and agree about, and thats
how we got to get everyone motivated

Some White Guy
12-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Just leave the band.

bobjewell87
12-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Just leave the band.

yeah doesnt sound like its going to work.

SLASHfan01
12-20-2005, 12:19 AM
we have the same problem, except one person causes it. I'm pretty open minded and so is everyone except for our other guitarist. He usually plays lead. If he doesn't like it he won't learn it to the best of his ability. He can play lead on "Fade to Black" but can't play "What it is to Burn" or "Machine Head" because he doesn't want to take time to learn it.

Dave2464
09-27-2007, 01:57 PM
It is always a good idea to not be a dictator in your band. Unless your pulling a NIN or a solo band where you hire musicians to play your music, view it as a democracy!!! Band members will be more inclined to play with you if they know their input matters and they feel like their doing something thats worth their time and talent.

Also, if you bring an idea for a new original song, you play what you think it should be and let them come up with their own parts to play. The song may end up being totally different from what you wanted it to, but everyones individual style of playing has made the song unique and they enjoy playing it because it is their own and nobody else's. We have done this many times in my band and it seems to work for us.

Keep on rockin!

-Dave

www.myspace.com/blatantavenue (new tracks soon!)

Pabli7o
09-27-2007, 02:40 PM
me I'm a metalhead while most of them want some alternative music.

That pisses me off.

Same here. They wanna play any two random things that sound good. Put them together with a rest or just a "build up" of 8th notes chord ( E E E E | E E E E | A-chorus starts).
Nothing is connected. All songs sound black white red blue, no shades in between that kinds relates. Might as well change the name of the band for each different song. Im quiting soon.

Are they being lazy? or just musically challenged?

TS, i think we are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I've been doing this a long time, so I would say, one of the biggest problems with start ups is someone not taking a leadership role. Results in an aimless band, who sort of know 500 songs but can't play 20 without f***ing them up, guys singing who shouldn't, Iron Maiden covers that sound more like Garth Brooks (or vice versa). Point is someone needs to take initiaitive in your band's direction. Running into the same issue, (and this from a guy playing like 35 years in a band full of pros) but staying consistent with my vision that the band is going to covers 50s - current music.
Then if it is consistent with the agreed upon band vision, let the guys pick the songs. We have a rule that the singer has veto power, since he knows his vocal range. But if you are in a band where noone wants to make hard decisions either assume that role yourself or run as fast as you can in the other direction.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I agree with other posts, it is a democracy but someone needs to have the guts to make a final say when the band is stuck.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I agree with other posts, it is a democracy but someone needs to have the guts to make a final say when the band is stuck. I personally don't mind playing for a dictator though who is clear what he wants and knows what he is doing.

AlanHB
08-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Good stuff guys. Hopefully the problem was fixed 6 years ago when it occured.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Again if you are planning to gig, run the band like a business. If I don't show for work consistently, I expect to eventually get fired. Create an expectation that this is what we are going to practice next week and have the guys stick to it. Again to an extent it has to be a democracy. If the band vote is to have this song be ready by next practice then that is the expectation. Doing stuff that you're not always crazy about doing is part of the professionalism you develop over the years. If you are picking songs noone else wants to do, suck it up and move on. Create a clear direction and invite other guys song ideas that fall within that vision. If one guy is consistently not doing his homework read him the riot act. Cultivate an air of professionalism in yourself and set that example for the rest of the band.

AlanHB
08-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Chuck, look at the date the question was written. It was written 6 years ago.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:17 AM
**Closed due to 2005 bump**