how do ya make a fast neck?

PDA

View Full Version : how do ya make a fast neck?

the snow queen
12-07-2005, 06:22 AM
everyone talks about there guitar having a fast neck, what sort of atributes does a fast neck have? and can I make my neck fast? what sort of effect would this have on playing and tone?

crazee201
12-07-2005, 06:23 AM
its smooth, slick, thin?...i dunno

but, i hear rubbing lemon oil on it works well..

broken circle
12-07-2005, 07:02 AM
'Fast Fret' is good, and keeps your strings in good condition too, so you don't lose too much tone over a period of time.

jj1565
12-07-2005, 07:16 AM
lower ur action.

Dlawso
12-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Yeah, lower your action and use lemon oil, too.
Its the "whole" neck that makes a "fast neck". Not just some diffrent adjustments, adjust ALL to your own style.

Weybl Himself
12-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Lower action, thinner neck, narrower nut, slicker neck finish, all of those things make a neck fast, but if you can't be bothered will any of that, you can buy string/neck lubricant whcih makes moving up and down the neck a breeze.

Nirtallica
12-07-2005, 07:24 AM
thin neck, low action, smooth finish. something you can find in most rg's

TheIinLive
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
sounds like my girl friend

Nirtallica
12-07-2005, 07:39 AM
low action?^^lol

SuperAngus
12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Thats a negative side, LOL.

Yngwie says"scalloped necks actually make it harder to play faster, but you just get more control."

Well then... I guess.

Prophet of Page
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I can't believe I'm the only one who has said this but the thing that makes a neck "fast" is a flatter radius. You may play fast on a thick neck, a wide or thin neck, or a glossed neck, but you won't be playing fast on a very round neck, like vintage strats have.

edg
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Basically, I think there's only ONE thing that makes a neck fast: YOU!

It's not a property of the neck. A neck is thin, flat, thick, round,....

Personally I find a fatter neck faster to play on. For me.

jj1565
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
^haha i would have gone into it but i guessed he already had a neck and couldnt flatten it now.

edit: opps for tom, edg jumped in too.

edg
12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
^ Doh! Sorries. :)

Still, I don't agree. My Parker has a very thin and flat neck. It just doesn't suit
me for speed as some of my others...

adamstartin
12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Its gotta be an unfinished neck too, laquered ones arent too great aparrently.

mr_hankey
12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one who has said this but the thing that makes a neck "fast" is a flatter radius. You may play fast on a thick neck, a wide or thin neck, or a glossed neck, but you won't be playing fast on a very round neck, like vintage strats have.

I didn't know that, I always thought it was just to make big bends not 'fret out', as it would on a rounder fretboard.

Erock503
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
IMO, it's all personal preference. My hands start to sweat, so they stick to the glossed necks, which I "feel" slows me down. I like the satin or non-finished necks, they just feel easier for me to slide on. Someone who doesn't sweat as much might feel the gloss is easier to slide on. Some people think the maple fretboards feel faster. It's a harder wood, so it might feel faster to some people when they fret notes. Personally, I prefer rosewood, it's easier for me to tell where I am on the board for some reason, so I "feel" like I'm faster. I have a large palm with short sausage fingers, so a strat neck "feels" fast to me because my fingers are positioned comfortably with the the larger radius. The Ibanez necks feel fast to me because my fat fingers have an easier time with the string spacing. It's all preference and the shape of your hand/fingers IMO.