Setlists and Order Of Performance

PDA

View Full Version : Setlists and Order Of Performance

Zamboni
12-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm sure this is an issue on many bandleader's minds, and I intend to answer it with this thread.

If you're wondering what order you should play your certain styles of songs in, be it fast-paced ones, ballads, or other such genres, continue reading:

The First Song

You should always try to start your set with a relatively up-beat song. This serves two purposes: It allows you to release some of your pent-up, pre-show energy, as well as getting the crowd into it right from the get-go.

The Middle of Your Set

Here you have a bit of leeway. You can choose to continue with the up-beat songs, or vary it and throw in a slower-paced song or even a ballad here and there. A good rule of thumb to follow is to end the middle of your set with a relatively slower song. This calms your crowd down a bit and lets them settle into a groove where they're not constantly rocking out, but also just chilling.

The End of Your Set

OK, now we're wrapping up your set. You always want to end off on a high note, and this is done by following the pattern of your first songs and playing something fun, fast, and preferably memorable. Covers work well in these situations. You can lead up to your last song with a slower one, but definitely leave the crowd on a high by playing something up-beat.

Your Encore

Assuming the crowd enjoyed your set, you may be asked for an encore. In contrast to your first and last songs, an encore generally demands a ballad or slower-type song. This is especially effective if you are the last band to play. This, once again, calms the crowd down and seems to complete the concert for them.

edit: Alternatively, kick their ass and rock out even harder to play yourselves out. ;)

Take from these guidlines what you will, and hopefully your next show will be a great one.

-Mike

FenderStrat1337
12-07-2005, 04:45 PM
sticky?

Great advice btw

SomeEvilDude
12-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Good ideas laid out there. Good job on that.

One thing I would change though, is I like to end the set on a memorable song; it doesn't have to be fast or up-beat or anything. Something memorable in the performance of it, or just the song itself - be it a cover or an original - as long as it's memorable, that's what counts.

Other than that though, I agree with everything you said, good job.

Zamboni
12-07-2005, 04:51 PM
^Good idea, *edited*

raph8r
12-07-2005, 09:54 PM
great idea, i would also add that your last song or your encore whichever one should be some sort of jam song where it goes on for awhile and each group member can kind of improvise (assuming they can) some sort of solo or something...i dunno just my 2 cents

socialtool
12-08-2005, 12:04 PM
great idea, i would also add that your last song or your encore whichever one should be some sort of jam song where it goes on for awhile and each group member can kind of improvise (assuming they can) some sort of solo or something...i dunno just my 2 cents

I don't completely agree, for some bands a song can go on for far too long, so if you are talented enought o jam, then you can try it, but I really think it's bettter if you stick with some a bit rehearsd because you have less of a chance of screwing up and you don't want that to be thing everyone remembers.

I agree that generally it needs to be a song that is hard hitting. It needs to have a sense of closure, you want the crowd to have an emotional orgasm wth you. It's just like sex. (Now I know many of you don't have much experience in this but after a good set, you can get some more lol)

Only end with a cover if you do a good- make that great- job. I mean I saw a band that was a good band, and then they ended with an attrocity of Bohemian Rhapsody and for the first few weeks every time someone asked me about them, I was like they suck! Even though most of the set was good, that last song stuck out in my mind.

Zamboni
12-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Joshy, a sticky would be nice. ;)

KENZI
12-12-2005, 12:10 AM

a jam would be good in a set if the band can jam and improvise well, but i think the jam section would be better placed in the middle of the show and then brought back to something familiar that people know and recognise. Like some of Led Zeppelin's live music.

SilentDeftone
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey Joshy, a sticky would be nice. ;)
A little expanding would be nice too :) Maybe cover more than just this one subject? I don't know that much about gigs etc. so I wouldn't be a great choice for writing a FAQ.

-SD :dance:

SomeEvilDude
12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
General Gigging Tips

1) Stage Prescence: Until you make it big and famous - and even then - this is one of the most important things whilst gigging. Move around the stage when you can, make sure you can feel the music and groove to it and, most importantly, enjoy yourself. Performing is a two-way system; the audience feeds off of the bands' energy and the band in return gets a confidence boost from the audience who are feeling the music and grooving to it. If a band is not - or at least does not seem to be - enjoying themselves on stage, then the audience, generally speaking, will feel the tension and won't get into the music as much as you'd like them to.
It is also important, because, as much as music is an audio experience, it is also a visual experience. An audience - as much as the musicians may like them to - will not just listen to the music, but watch the music. This can be traced back to the pyschadelic-era in particular, when light shows were a prominent feature during bands' performance. However, seeing as this isn't the late 60s/early 70s anymore, and not many people (if any) use light shows and - albeit to a lesser extent - smoke machines and shadows and whatnot, the band become the visual experience of the music. However great the music may be, if the band just stand around like a bunch of lemons, it will end up being quite an unenjoyable experience. Whereas, to see a band headbanging, or if the music doesn't suit, just grooving about or moving around the stage and interacting with other band members and using elevated areas and whatnot, then the band becomes a more enjoyable visual experience.

2) Crowd Interaction: If you're playing a set with three or more songs, crowd interaction becomes quite important. Introducing the group, the individual members of the band and the names of the songs before/after you play them are the basics. This at least lets the crowd have some connection to the band. To indulge further, a singer could do a crowd dive (incredibly egotistical and not always well-recieved, but fun if it works), the guitarist (leads permitting) could wander out into the crowd whilst playing a solo or even just rhythm parts etc. Slightly less on the extreme side, perhaps a story behind a song, or a bit of banter with the crowd - usually jokes or telling them how great the venue/town is are good - or letting the crowd sings parts of a well-known song, or possibly a call and response type thing with the crowd.

3) Keep ego's in check: One of the single most important things to remember whilst playing a gig. Unless your guitarist can run around stage, and backflip, and play with his teeth or behind his neck or something that's very interesting to watch, don't let him or her solo for hours - people will get bored of it. This mainly applies to the lead guitarist, but lead vocalists can get can pretty full of themselves too. Try and make sure that everyone is included as equally as possible, and while in some instances it's a good thing to show off a particular talent within the group, be sure not to let that one thing overshadow the rest of the band.

4) Keep the set interesting: Again, important. Make sure to try and play a diversity of songs, but try and keep it within a set range. It would be very weird if you opened with a death metal song, and then went straight into a powerful blues piece. But, if you were to start with a relatively slow-paced rock song, and then play a blues song, it wouldn't be too much of a shock to the system. Make sure to splice your set up with originals and covers - but, importantly, make sure the covers are relatively well known and whatever happens, play them as perfectly as you possibly can! One of worst things you can do is to mess up a cover song.
Along with diversity with songs, crowd interaction comes into keeping a set interesting. See above for some breif advice on this.

5) Set-up: Make sure everybody knows what they need and what they're doing beforehand. Then make sure all cables, batteries, amps, strings, guitars etc. are in tune and working properly, or at least working the way you want/need them to. I suppose this is a good place to include this: rehearse as much as physically possible. You can never over-learn material, so practice as much as you can before you go to play the gig; it can only be beneficial.

6) Roboticism: Comes into the whole stage prescence thing, but anywho. Don't be a bunch of robots. Don't just play through the stuff robotically; enjoy it, and - not too much, but enough to keep it different and interesting - try to improvise when and where it's possible. If you can improvise well, this will be almost second nature anyway, and to those who can't improvise really well, then even some basic improvising will make your part - and the set as a whole - seem so much more interesting.

Choosing which songs to perform:

The First Song

You should always try to start your set with a relatively up-beat song. This serves two purposes: It allows you to release some of your pent-up, pre-show energy, as well as getting the crowd into it right from the get-go.

The Middle of Your Set

Here you have a bit of leeway. You can choose to continue with the up-beat songs, or vary it and throw in a slower-paced song or even a ballad here and there. A good rule of thumb to follow is to end the middle of your set with a relatively slower song. This calms your crowd down a bit and lets them settle into a groove where they're not constantly rocking out, but also just chilling.

The End of Your Set

OK, now we're wrapping up your set. You always want to end off on a high note, and this is done by following the pattern of your first songs and playing something fun, fast, and preferably memorable. Covers work well in these situations. You can lead up to your last song with a slower one, but definitely leave the crowd on a high by playing something up-beat.

Your Encore

Assuming the crowd enjoyed your set, you may be asked for an encore. In contrast to your first and last songs, an encore generally demands a ballad or slower-type song. This is especially effective if you are the last band to play. This, once again, calms the crowd down and seems to complete the concert for them.

Take from these guidlines what you will, and hopefully your next show will be a great one.

-Mike

Happy gigging folks.

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 11:04 AM
the only thing i could possibly add: practice

before your gig be sure and run your set for time- make sure you're within the set time you've been given. further, the pre-gig rehearsal is a good time to make sure all the sticky bits and tricky parts are coming off smoothly.

more than anything make sure you're prepared. your band's act isn't going to matter much if your songs aren't polished and ready to be played for people- no amount of stage presence is going to make up for a ****ty set. better to play a short, tight set than a long, sloppy, ill-prepared one.

KENZI
01-09-2006, 01:51 PM
no amount of stage presence is going to make up for a ****ty set. better to play a short, tight set than a long, sloppy, ill-prepared one.

no way!

its al about balencing between technique and tightness and stage presence. you need both for an excellent gig. if either one fails then its not going to go as well as it could, of course maxing out both is the ideal solution but neither should be lacking.

rathmusbass
01-10-2006, 07:50 AM
from playing a few shows i learned something. a good idea is to always play to a crowd that likes your genre. it sucks playing nu-metal in front of old grannies or playing death metal to a bunch of teens that have hardcore boners for amy lee

also some more tips for your set list....

dont play songs back-to-back that are in the same key or have very similar rhythms.

Usually if you start out with an easy song it makes the entire set flow better, because by the end of that you will have a feel of the show already.

if your entire band does not have everything down for every song then do not play the songs that you all can not play well, or dont play a gig until then.

=-p =-)

mangablade
01-11-2006, 10:48 AM
no amount of stage presence is going to make up for a ****ty set. better to play a short, tight set than a long, sloppy, ill-prepared one.

i never thought id do this but...

what about greenday? ****ty band imo, but you have to admit, wether or not the music is good, at concerts they can get the crowd goin (i watched 10 mins of a live show) and they interact with the audience and everything. Do i think they're smart/good musicians? no. (exception of maybe dirnt) Do i think theyre a smart/good band? yes i do. they know that their stage presence will get them pretty dam far to make up for their otherwise crappy music.

MY 2 cents. pssh :peace: :D

socialtool
01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
i never thought id do this but...

what about greenday? ****ty band imo, but you have to admit, wether or not the music is good, at concerts they can get the crowd goin (i watched 10 mins of a live show) and they interact with the audience and everything. Do i think they're smart/good musicians? no. (exception of maybe dirnt) Do i think theyre a smart/good band? yes i do. they know that their stage presence will get them pretty dam far to make up for their otherwise crappy music.

MY 2 cents. pssh :peace: :D
I'm sorry but I have to say, yes they have awesome stage precence but also the sold out concerts are full of people who enjoy their music, myself included,. Would I call them great musicians, no. But I would call good musicians, they have the ability to right catchy fun music, that they enjoy and obviously lots of other people

A lot of people here confuse good music artfully, and good music for enertainment, most people don't wnat to listen to a 10 minute guitar solo regardless of how good you are,most people enjoy the parts of the music they can sing along with, they like music they can bob their head too.

I could care less about stage precence if I didn't like the bands music to be honest.

thecameronator
01-23-2006, 06:42 AM
the only bit of advice i could give is...wen ur making songs dont play what othere people want play what u want, what u think sounds good...otherwise u'll lose your intrest in music

SomeEvilDude
01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
the only bit of advice i could give is...wen ur making songs dont play what othere people want play what u want, what u think sounds good...otherwise u'll lose your intrest in music

But on the other hand you'll lose the interest of the audience and possibly even get some complaints if you just play what you want to play, instead of what the audience want to hear.

For example, an emo band would not over well at a black-metal gig, a punk band at a prog. rock gig.

While it's good not to lose your sense of direction and musical interest, it's sometimes a good idea to play what other people want to hear as well, instead of just your own style. Hell, incorporate your style into other songs and genres. It's all good.

Zeus2716
02-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Some of my own thoughts:

I hear people here talking all the time about drinking or smoking or doing other crazy **** before a show to get pumped. I disagree with that, im not sure anyone else does though. I find that when i get onstage, and i walk out of the wings into the spotlight with the crowd roaring, that gets me so pumped i dont need anything else. I think more people should try this, just going out and let the music guide them. its true, stage presence is important, but dont plan out your act. when you get up there and start grooving, everything will come to you, and it will be much more natural, and a better show. and always enjoy yourself.
just some thoughts...

pentagram_man63
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Well, this is a good thread! Thanks to all who contributed, this is really useful.

TimiHendrix33
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
I personally thinhk you should do encores with up-beat songs,definelty not ballads.

Gabuydachk
03-19-2006, 10:36 AM
learn famous songs in your genre and take requests
it's a good way to get the audience involved

Yahz0r
03-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Whatever you do, shut up between the songs. and go ahead to the next one. We dont want breaks.

SomeEvilDude
03-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Whatever you do, shut up between the songs. and go ahead to the next one. We dont want breaks.

Although sometimes it's a good idea to introduce your band members, give the name of the band and the next song at various points in the show, either between songs or in a break-down. Both good.

darmaid_h
03-25-2006, 03:10 PM
i'm the leader of an irish band called entropy. we're starting work on origional stuff soon but for the last few months we've been doing covers. we're an ok band but we're getting great response where ever we go. there are two main reasons for this that i think would help other bands.

1: do all in your power to build a fan base. many of our friends follow us around to gigs,they help to set up sometimes and check the levels but the best thing they do is get people up. they start moshing and soon other people start too. by the time the night is over everyone has had a great time and goes away thinking ye're brilliant.

2: have a good time. i know that this has probably been posted amillion times but it works. don't worry if you hit a bum note or forget some words. the reason people go to see bands is to haer music and have a good time. if you have a good time then they will too.

Rodders
04-06-2006, 12:57 PM

But if you talk to the crowd, then it builds a bond between the band and the audience. It creates a connection between the two. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stage banter, introducing a song, or even telling a short story.....interaction is good. Bands that just shut up and play are generally boring.

acidity
04-11-2006, 05:33 AM
i would personally play your most well know, upbeat song at the end of the encore. all the bands ive seen have :S

SomeEvilDude
04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
i would personally play your most well know, upbeat song at the end of the encore. all the bands ive seen have :S

Depends on whether or not you get an encore. From my view, the best thing is to start with your strongest song, which generally reels the audience in, and finish with your best song that the audience leave with a good impression fresh in their minds.
Then if you get an encore, it's up to you really, but something that's one of your reasonably stronger songs is good, but it's often good if that song is also a slow-ish one, so it calms people down before they leave.
It's all preference though; no set guidlines will work for every band in every situation. Unfortunately.

rockminister
04-23-2006, 12:09 AM
wow

taxman27
04-30-2006, 01:42 AM
But if you talk to the crowd, then it builds a bond between the band and the audience. It creates a connection between the two. There's nothing wrong with a bit of stage banter, introducing a song, or even telling a short story.....interaction is good. Bands that just shut up and play are generally boring.

Exactly, although there are times when you should talk and times you shut up. Like, for example, you shouldn't tell a big story about a song wrote if it's a 2 minute fast punk song. On the other hand though, stories can help, especially for slower songs, because with slower songs, you're trying to get an intimacy between you and the audience, and telling a story can really help that. Some other good tips, always introduce the band at the beginning, so your audience knows who you are before you start playing. Second, if you have a myspace or website, DO NOT forget to tell people about it. It helps make sure that the fans you get at the gig can keep track of your progress and attend future gigs and all that good stuff.

Yahz0r
05-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Then if you get an encore, it's up to you really, but something that's one of your reasonably stronger songs is good, but it's often good if that song is also a slow-ish one, so it calms people down before they leave.
I really disagree. Well, what if there are other bands playing after you? I could think it would be great to play a fast and hard song as your last so that the next band looks boring and get them thinking that you were even better than you thought. Maybe :P

SomeEvilDude
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I really disagree. Well, what if there are other bands playing after you? I could think it would be great to play a fast and hard song as your last so that the next band looks boring and get them thinking that you were even better than you thought. Maybe :P

See this is the problem, in that there's no set formula for a gig, and what works best where varies. So there's no set in stone rules.

What you're saying does make a lot of sense, and it's not a half-bad idea to be honest. But if you're the last band on that night, or it's just your gig, then a slow-ish song that you can play really well is probably a good idea.
That said, something catchy may be an idea too, so people leave still singing your songs.

Yahz0r
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, ofcourse it depends on the situation. How many bands playing etc. You're right.

rocker138
05-04-2006, 08:46 PM
wow this is a great thread!!!

SomeEvilDude
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
ye're based in galway, right? never heard you play, but i want to. whens your next gig?

anyway, im just curious what ye all think of this. im in a band with probably a really class drummer, a good enough bassist, me (im an pretty good mostly rhythm guitarist) and one alrightish lead guitarist (buzz). we recently got a really great lead guitarist (mike) though, who really broadens the scope of music that we can play, and are thinking of kicking buzz out because, well, hes a twat.

anywho, originally the plan was to play easy covers at first, like for whom the bell tolls and raining blood, but now with mike, i think we could pull off the call of ktulu and angel of death (you might guess were a metal band), but im just wondering should we? like, as our first songs, i think were setting ourselves up for a huge fall. its not like the songs are impossible, though, because the mike can play the ktulu solo and i can play all the rhythm, and he can improv solo well enough to pass them off as slayer solos, and, well, angel of deaths rhythm guitar is easy.

im just wondering, do you think we should take the easy way out, or actually go for originality and quality in covers?

If this second guy is better and you get along fine, then play with him. And it's always better to go for originality and quality with your covers then just taking the easy way out.
Besides, when you write your own stuff, a more competent musician will ultimately make it better and help the song to flow more nicely.

ParadoxVocal
06-12-2006, 06:18 AM
A few of the things I've found good in any style...

Start with a good moshing song... or a crowd interaction song... one that they can sing along to if your playing covers or are well known.... or just something they can mosh to.

You don't have to play and Encore I prefer not to play an Encore unless they're tearing up the stage in anger... i prefer to leave them wanting more. So they come back next time...

Leave them hanging Play shorter sets rather then longer... also between songs... Always have some sort of noise... or complete silence and no movement... so have the beginning of a song over and over again while you talk or just while the singer get's a drink.

Overdo every show - Make your audience feel like it's a professional Arena show as much as possible even if not.

Once again... these are all up to you

downcast_lg
06-13-2006, 02:43 PM
A few tips in addition to the ones above (possibly repeating some, sorry i tried to read em all)

1. Opening with a cover works well, regardless of genre. Especially if your band is not that well known, playing 'Unholy Confessions' or a blink-182 song (If that's what your into :)) gets the crowd's attention and makes them watch what you're playing.

2. Get some energy built up toward the middle of the set. As has been said before, it's like sex. Or if you don't understand that analogy :) it's like a story. There's the attention grabber, rising action, the climax, and the falloff. Get that climax to last for a bit :):):). I'm in a heavy band so I'll use the example - start playing something catchy, and build into a wild pit for about 3-4 songs and then let it falloff and hopefully get an encore. Don't let them get tired of you, make 'em crazy and let them down.

3. Interact. Jump into the pit during the breakdown if you're the singer, that always get's them going. Stand on the edge of the stage and rock out. Make them part of the show. They want to rock out too, that's why they're there. If they won't get into it tell them to get the **** up!

4. Be relaxed, be natural. This means you have to be comfortable playing your songs and comfortable playing in front of people. You can't be tense and rock out and have people enjoy your show. Have a couple shots before the show to loosen you up if you need to, but don't play trashed. Be on top of your music and your show and people WILL notice.

Hope that helps someone, justsome tips from my limited experience.

ace man
07-16-2006, 04:30 AM
This is a really awesome, useful thread and a must read for anyone playing in a rock roll band. Personally, my band (the meteors, of which i play rhythm guitar or drums if the drummer doesn't turn up) kicks off with the stones 'rip this joint' and goes through a selection of stones, KISS, AC/DC, aerosmith and cold chisel songs, before wrapping up with 'let me go rock n' roll' (alive version). if we're asked for an encore we usualyl throw walk this way in or high voltage. We usually try to blitzkrieg the audience with sound - open with a lightning fast bombardment + airstrikes, then bring the heavy armour through and follow up with the infantry, and rolling on to victory in a halcion of rock n' roll

MisinformingYou
07-20-2006, 12:30 PM
This is a ridiculously useful thread.....

Y.D.P.B.C
07-21-2006, 06:14 AM

I don't think there is a particular formula with regards to this. Muse are one of the best live bands on the face of the earth, and Matt Bellamy never says more than a few words all night.

But sometimes, if the band are playing a long set, and break off with a wee chat in the middle, it can be brilliant. Dave Grohl did it when i saw the Foos at the SECC, and even with 9,999 other people in the room at the time, it really feels quite intimate and all the more special because of it.

If you've got buckets of charisma, it would be a waste not to blether between songs. But, if you're a bit awkward, then yeah, as the great Frank Zappa once said:

"Shut up, and play yer guitar"

TheUnholy
07-23-2006, 08:44 AM
ye're based in galway, right? never heard you play, but i want to. whens your next gig?

anywho, originally the plan was to play easy covers at first, like for whom the bell tolls and raining blood, but now with mike, i think we could pull off the call of ktulu and angel of death

Being the musician's musician is always good, but you have to remember how many more people will want you to play FWTBT than Ktulu, unless you're playing to a crowd entirely composed of thrashers.

Skuzzmo
08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Evening all.......

Well, me and my fellow band dudes formed a cover band to do songs that we enjoyed playing and so we've got songs like dead skin mask (slayer) and MAdhouse (Anthrax) in our set and to be honest we thought we were going to go down like a lead balloon when we played them live.....but exactly the opposite. When we played them we had our own little pit on front of the stage....Whoot! We were so happy. Anyway after the gig people were coming up to us saying that thay had never heard a local band play stuff like that and it was really good to hear.

We did some research into the pub bands that were playing the area ( research? Get pissed I mean) and it's true they all play roughly the same type of song ie Layla, Whole lot of love, whole lot of rosie, whiskey in the jar etc, etc. Cracking songs but everybbody seems to have heard them a thousand times already.....

What I'm trying to say, as a piece of advice, is try something different and don't play what everyone else is playing...it seems to get a big response....

JUst you watch we'll get bottled off stage at the next gig...lololololollolololol

Slash3068
08-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Okay, well I've read alot in this board, and alot of people are saying what genre to play and what order, but can any one recommend songs for that genre in the order you say for a new band. We just got together as a band and every one has been playing for about 2 years except for our one of our guitarests, he's only been playing for about 1 year, but everyone is pretty advanced for their ammount of time playing their instruments, any songs you can recommend?

socialtool
08-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Okay, well I've read alot in this board, and alot of people are saying what genre to play and what order, but can any one recommend songs for that genre in the order you say for a new band. We just got together as a band and every one has been playing for about 2 years except for our one of our guitarests, he's only been playing for about 1 year, but everyone is pretty advanced for their ammount of time playing their instruments, any songs you can recommend?

I suggest you take that to another thread, that's not for this thread, this thread is specifically for the order! :peace:

Captain Planet
09-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Our band generally play at weddings and private gigs, and here is the order of performance we think works best:

1st song: we do usually one or two slow ones (usually noone is in the mood for fast dancing to begin with) like Wonderful Tonight and some Paul Weller.

We then take things up a bit with some Beatles and Kinks and others.
Then we do a bit of modern rocky stuff like Kaiser Chiefs and Darkness, then end the first set on something that everyone knows, last time we did All These Things I've Done by The Killers, everyone sings along to the "I've Got Soul but I'm not a soldier" bit.

Then we start the second set fairly quickly, although we'll usually do a slower one to start because everyone is full from the buffet and not wanting to dance straight away!! Sometimes we'll do something like Yellow by Coldplay. We then do pretty much all dancey well known stuff for the rest, and do really well known stuff for an encore, like Amarillo and Walking on Sunshine. People are so boozed up by the end of the night, they just want something they can dance and chant along to.

People at gigs they haven't paid to get into (or are not expecting to see a band at) prefer familiarity, so we tend to go for well known songs. It's a little annoying that we don't get to play our own material as much as we'd like, but when we do the odd public gig, we get to do more experimental stuff or things people may not have heard.

TheSeventhOne
09-24-2006, 03:22 PM
The advice given in this thread is brilliant. Everyone should follow these rules. Although I don't think an encore necessarily needs to be a ballad. Look at Run To The Hills!

KileManA7X
12-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I'd change that. NEVER play a slow song at the end of the show. You want people to run out screaming, not all soft and slow. I've learned that over the years.

greendayguitar
01-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Well, the whole encore depends on your set, your mood, and the mood of the atmosphere and the crowd around you. Also, if you get an encore, why can't you just start it with a slow song, and just merge it into a fast paced one? Therefore, it goes both ways/

By the way, this thread is amazing.

siddyjain
01-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Is it a good idea to start with an instrumental original?
It's a really catchy one and not too slow either...

METSOAD
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
yeah why not

Is it advisable to start a set with a not so common song but has impact or a well known instrumental?

SomeEvilDude
01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
You kind of just answered your own question there.

But yes, it should be fine.

Mark Condeza
01-19-2007, 10:26 AM
for the first set, it would also be nice if you would make your audiences experience culture shock when they'll hear your first song...

METSOAD
01-22-2007, 06:06 AM
yeah

LoungeAct
01-25-2007, 03:27 PM
wow some evil dudes lesson completely destoryed the thread starters lesson

Helloween_rox
01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Even though I haven't played any gigs yet, I'd start on a slow song, go more upbeat within the next 2 or 3, slow it down for another song or 2, and then end on the last 2 with a high energy, heavy, heart-pounding song and the finale/encore do a slowed down song again, such as "Patience" by GNR, or "Good Riddance" by Greenday.

darthbuttchin
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I personally think that facial expressions are rather important when playing. coz if you look bored, people are gonna think ur an arrogant person

kevinw
02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
to be honest, no one plays encores anymore, and from my experience and watching lots of bands, dont play an encore, you'll end up turning off the crowd

Americanhoser
03-04-2007, 10:45 AM
to be honest, no one plays encores anymore, and from my experience and watching lots of bands, dont play an encore, you'll end up turning off the crowd

What are you talking about? Encores have become standard... If the headlining band doesn't play you an encore...It's assumed you were a shitty crowd.

gopherthegreat
03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
encores shouldnt be ballads in my opinion

TMAW
03-19-2007, 03:39 AM
if you are a metal band you should start with a song with a clean intro, something like Sandman would be good to start with, but i agree it has to be short and after the clean intro it has to go mad

krymson
03-21-2007, 07:37 PM
What do you do if you get an encore but have no more original songs to play? Like nothing, including covers.

Americanhoser
03-25-2007, 09:13 AM
You should have at least twice as many songs down than ones your planning on playing that night..... Besides if your going to play another gig soon possibly at a different nearby venue, no one wants to hear the exact same set of songs again...

palefire
03-30-2007, 08:58 PM
On the subject of talking with the crowd...

There are certain things that you need to get across to the audience. The point of you playing a gig is to build a fan base. This is difficult if they don't know who you are. You *NEED* to get people to know your name, your website, if you have anything for sale, and you need to say it as a human; don't read it out like the script from a salesman. You want people to come to your next gig, and to do that they need to be able to find out about it.

BUT! Remember that you're there to play music. Not to have a conversation. Not to be a stand-up comic. All the time you're not playing on stage is a rest, is inactive. Too much of this becomes boring and irritating for the crowd.

So time any points that you're going to speak. If the band frontman only sings (as opposed to playing guitar as well) the best time for this would be while the band retunes or checks tunings for songs. Set out the gig so that there's as little pauses as possible between songs. A short introduction of "this song is called..." doesn't count, but any more time you take is pushing it. I'd suggest playing about two songs, taking a break to tell the crowd who you are and where they can find out about you, playing the rest of the set with minimal conversation between, and then making a reminder of your name and thanking them etc. before the last song. You might take longer pauses if you get longer gigs or more faithful crowds, but when starting out i'd call this a good guideline.

P.S. it changes slightly in the case of anything going wrong. If (and at some point, there will) there is any problem on stage - guitar string breaks, microphone decides to stop working, drummer bursts into flames etc. DON'T just ignore the crowd and let them watch you all stumble around stage in a panic. While watching a band struggle to keep a gig alive can be entertaining, its not in a flattering way. Someone should talk to crowd a little while the others deal with the problem, just to keep the show going, and at the very least to keep them informed as to what's going on, before they get bored and wander off to the bar...

SomeEvilDude
03-31-2007, 04:47 AM
On the subject of talking with the crowd...

There are certain things that you need to get across to the audience. The point of you playing a gig is to build a fan base. This is difficult if they don't know who you are. You *NEED* to get people to know your name, your website, if you have anything for sale, and you need to say it as a human; don't read it out like the script from a salesman. You want people to come to your next gig, and to do that they need to be able to find out about it.

BUT! Remember that you're there to play music. Not to have a conversation. Not to be a stand-up comic. All the time you're not playing on stage is a rest, is inactive. Too much of this becomes boring and irritating for the crowd.

So time any points that you're going to speak. If the band frontman only sings (as opposed to playing guitar as well) the best time for this would be while the band retunes or checks tunings for songs. Set out the gig so that there's as little pauses as possible between songs. A short introduction of "this song is called..." doesn't count, but any more time you take is pushing it. I'd suggest playing about two songs, taking a break to tell the crowd who you are and where they can find out about you, playing the rest of the set with minimal conversation between, and then making a reminder of your name and thanking them etc. before the last song. You might take longer pauses if you get longer gigs or more faithful crowds, but when starting out i'd call this a good guideline.

P.S. it changes slightly in the case of anything going wrong. If (and at some point, there will) there is any problem on stage - guitar string breaks, microphone decides to stop working, drummer bursts into flames etc. DON'T just ignore the crowd and let them watch you all stumble around stage in a panic. While watching a band struggle to keep a gig alive can be entertaining, its not in a flattering way. Someone should talk to crowd a little while the others deal with the problem, just to keep the show going, and at the very least to keep them informed as to what's going on, before they get bored and wander off to the bar...

That's all good, and I'd certainly like to elaborate on that last point slightly. This is where your band needs to be tight and together. If your band cannot improvise a jam, or have something pre-written to transition into and play around on while the problem is being sorted, things will get very hairy.
A band crashing around, regardless of problems, makes them looks like amatuers. A band who, when a problem occurs, are able to pull an impromptu jam together while someone gets the problem sorted out will gain you plenty of crowd support and give the impression that you're all very talented players.

gopherthegreat
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
this is useful. thats why blondies shows suck. no stage prescence (at least the shows ive seen). im not a blondie fan though.......

TasianSensation
04-12-2007, 03:03 AM
i've got a question on the order that these songs should be played in:

when i come around by green day
the judge's daughter by green day
she by green day
longview by green day
dammit by blink 182
feeling this by blink 182
a little less 16 candles, a little more touch me by fall out boy

please don't criticise on the song choice, as it's the music we decided on. also, the show is only about a 15 minute thing (battle of the bands at a school)

SomeEvilDude
04-12-2007, 07:37 AM
i've got a question on the order that these songs should be played in:

when i come around by green day
the judge's daughter by green day
she by green day
longview by green day
dammit by blink 182
feeling this by blink 182
a little less 16 candles, a little more touch me by fall out boy

please don't criticise on the song choice, as it's the music we decided on. also, the show is only about a 15 minute thing (battle of the bands at a school)

I'd open with 'Feeling This' because it's a fast energetic song to get people into it in the first place, and then close with 'When I Come Around', because let's face it, everybody knows that and it's easy to sing along to.
As for the rest the set, it doesn't really matter which order, but try not to play two songs by the same band in a row.

Stumpo
05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
How bout the song order of:
Top Of the World - All American Rejects
I Dont Love You - MCR
Dance Inside - All American Rejects
River - Good Charlotte

This is the one i've been considering and have not discussed with my band members.
Any feed back?
I mean besides the song choice and with the order =X

SomeEvilDude
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I Dont Love You - MCR
River - Good Charlotte

This is the one i've been considering and have not discussed with my band members.
Any feed back?

Alas, I cannot say I've heard any of the songs and thus cannot really help you on which order to play them in. But, if you listen to general mood and pace of the song, and then apply it to the original post, then it should help you along a fair bit.
That said though, it'd probably be best to talk it over with your bandmates and make the final decision as a group.

METSOAD
05-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I Dont Love You - MCR
River - Good Charlotte

Any feed back?

The order you have wirtten it in is a good order to play, except maybe swapping the AAR songs

Stumpo
05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Ok. thanks.
I think they're quite agreeable to it.
Bout the Swapping.
I'll think bout it.
Thanks anyways. =D

properBo
06-11-2007, 02:35 PM
I have something to add that helped us at our first (and only) gig. If you're playing at a show with lots of bands and you're pretty unknown, try and play just before a band you know are awful... It makes your band look a lot better.

Freunleven
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
The band I manage (in my sig) played at their high school last week. Their set list was as follows:

1. You Really Got Me (Van Halen)
2. Land of Confusion (Disturbed)
3. Paralyzer (Finger Eleven)
4. Lonely Train (Black Stone Cherry)
5. Summer of '69 (Brian Adams)

Compared to the two bands who went before them, one of which was definately emo and the other was some sort of nu-metal, they rocked the house. And given that "Summer of '69" was the senior class song, much insanity ensued.

Gawdz, it was fun. :satan:

METSOAD
06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
we have a gig coming up, we have a set list of songs which you beautiful people are going to order or us

Possiblilites- On our myspace, fast paced, short snappy
the last time- on our myspace, no words in recording, mid paced, starts off clean and quiet, builds up to 'stadium ending'
Forsaken- Slow burner, heavy, almost Sabbath-esque
Back at the start- Mid paced, melodic, progressive, longest song in set
Dream on- fast-ish, Saxon-esque, shorter solo section than others
blues jam, just a bit of fun in A

warlockking
07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah, i guess you could do a ballad for an encore, but i've always thought more of a fast paced rock "anthem" style would be better. i guess it just depends on what you want to do with it.

Zen5887
07-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Punk Rock 101 - Bowling for soup
Zombie - The Cranberries
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
Whats up - Four not blondes
Back in black - AC/DC

This is our set for our first real gig (we've done little two song ones and some comps..again..only 2 songs)

Also..What do you think of having a little improv thing (a la the chilli peppers) before our first song sorta just to warm up.

I think if somthing goes wrong (string breaks or lead shorts out) you should keep playing. I saw a band a bit ago who were playing and the guitarest broke a couple of strings so he ran off to borrow another guys guitar. The rest of the band kepted playing so it was only drums bass and vocals. They al lhad a laugh at the end of the song

It really showed that they knew what they were doing..no one freaked out like "Holycrapwegotnoguitar!"

eckmann88
07-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Can anybody give me some tips for somebody with the whole singer/songwriter vibe?

axe_2_grind
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
2: have a good time. i know that this has probably been posted amillion times but it works. don't worry if you hit a bum note or forget some words. the reason people go to see bands is to haer music and have a good time. if you have a good time then they will too.

Agreed.

I tend to hit a lot of wrong notes at certain gigs. It depends on how nervous or confident I am that day. Some shows go better than others. Some are rife with PA or equipment issues. But, so long as you can recover from your mistakes and have a good time with it, then it will keep the crowd going as well. Besides which, only the musicians in the audience (and perhaps your band members as well) will be able to pick out your screw ups. Most non-musical people will not notice, or even remember your mistakes. So don't be afraid of screwing up. It happens, you're human after all.

Just practice as much as possible, and try to adapt as best you can come gig time. Stuff always happens. I have yet to play a "Perfect" show. But some are definitely better than others.

zeroprezens
07-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Some of my own thoughts:

I hear people here talking all the time about drinking or smoking or doing other crazy **** before a show to get pumped. I disagree with that, im not sure anyone else does though. I find that when i get onstage, and i walk out of the wings into the spotlight with the crowd roaring, that gets me so pumped i dont need anything else. I think more people should try this, just going out and let the music guide them. its true, stage presence is important, but dont plan out your act. when you get up there and start grooving, everything will come to you, and it will be much more natural, and a better show. and always enjoy yourself.
just some thoughts...
i HIGLY agree with you, on my first gig my drummer smoked a joint (it was at freakn school too for a telent show battle of teh bands -__-) and he was TERRIBLE but everyone else was great

frustrat62
07-15-2007, 12:05 AM
I think for encores that you should if you do a ballad still end on an up-beat song. Every big band I can think of does.

Dozza
07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I thought covers worked in encores aswell... or one of your most well known song, I guess you can mix and match since encores are usually 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) songs.

wshnationals
08-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Even though I haven't played any gigs yet, I'd start on a slow song, go more upbeat within the next 2 or 3, slow it down for another song or 2, and then end on the last 2 with a high energy, heavy, heart-pounding song and the finale/encore do a slowed down song again, such as "Patience" by GNR, or "Good Riddance" by Greenday.

NOT GOOD RIDDANCE. just dont do it.

Leper Affinity
08-14-2007, 08:34 AM
My band's set list usually goes like this

Prelude - Fast, a bit heavy, kind of catchy
Pure Soul - Heavy, Fast
kill Texas - Heavy, Fast, fan-favorite
Life - Sometimes played, light, slow, heavy in bits
Rain - Mid-Tempo, Heavy
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica Cover, heavy but mid-tempo
Fall Down - Heavy, mid/fast Tempo
Serenity and Destruction - Heavy, Fast, Frantic
Seek and Destroy - Metallica Cover, mid-tempo, heavy

and we are going to be adding in a Dethklok cover " Mermaid-er ", Metallica's " Fade to Black ", Iron Maiden's " Run to the Hills ", and two new, fast and frantic originals.

I find going from heavy and fast to mid-tempo back to heavy, then ending on a familiar tune really works well with the crowd

SomeEvilDude
08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
then ending on a familiar tune really works well with the crowd

Definately; I always - or usually in any case - end with 'Rocking In The Free World' and it's always a treat.
Same goes for opening as well; I'll usually throw in a cover or two in the middle of the set for a bit of padding, but opening and closing with a cover is a personal favourite of mine.

trueguitarhero
08-17-2007, 08:22 PM
my band is opening with Strength of the World by A7X. good idea or not? and ive found that Sweet Child of Mine is the universal encore song. it just works.

RentACar
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
My band starts of with a punk song, then goes into heavier songs, end of th emiddle is our Dead kennedys-type fast song, and out last song is Die Die my darling my the Misfits. Usually, me and the singer jump into the crowd, and that gets a pit going and we pretty much throw are guitars and mosh with the people. I find this good for punk/ alt bands, becasue you'l leave a lasting impression. As for Encore, a cover would be a good idea, because the audience can relate, and see a different take on the song.

Feel bad inc.
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I personaly think ending the set should be the ballad or slow song and the encore has to be the upbeat song....

Broken-pick
11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm playing Pantera's Cowboys From Hell.Should I headbang with my short hair?It does look kinda dumb because of its length.I don't know what else to do besides headbanging.I don't wanna stand still and just look down because it feel dumb.

Imafrog
11-22-2007, 02:45 AM
I disagree with the set list thing at the beginning.... you CAN end on a slow one for your encore, but I like to really rock out finish on a huge chord and yel goodnight, or something simillarily cheesy into the mic and end the show with the crowd applausing, and have someone ready to open the doors just as your song ends, getting the crowd leaving and talking about the show, not waiting around, letting the wow stagnate, and having you packing up on stage awkwardly while someone goes over AFTER it has finished to get the crowd out. Also, if there is a backstage area, walk of straightaway and enjoy the slightly muted applause of the crowd in the next room, grab a drink (which you'll need if you picked a good finisher!) and come out to pack up after they have left.

SlackerBabbath
01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I disagree with the set list thing at the beginning.... you CAN end on a slow one for your encore, but I like to really rock out finish on a huge chord and yel goodnight, or something simillarily cheesy into the mic and end the show with the crowd applausing, and have someone ready to open the doors just as your song ends, getting the crowd leaving and talking about the show, not waiting around, letting the wow stagnate, and having you packing up on stage awkwardly while someone goes over AFTER it has finished to get the crowd out. Also, if there is a backstage area, walk of straightaway and enjoy the slightly muted applause of the crowd in the next room, grab a drink (which you'll need if you picked a good finisher!) and come out to pack up after they have left.
That's the spirit, leave 'em all exited up and wanting more.
Although personaly, I'd go back on after grabbing the beer backstage and give 'em one more song that totaly rips all over the previous set ender, then leave. Just to crank up their exitement as much as possible before the end. ;)

CAPTAINAMAZING
01-01-2008, 05:57 PM
How does this set list look?
We're playing 3 sets, and I usually don't put the set list together alone (the band usually does)

1) Journey Into the Gate - Intro original
2) Crimson Gates - Thrash metal original
3) Hearts on Fire - Hammerfall
4) When the Eagle Cries - Iced Earth
5) Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
6) Paranoid - Black Sabbath
7) La Grange - ZZ Top
8) Blitzkrieg Bop - Ramones
9) Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
10) Wild Thing - The Troggs
11) Mother - Danzig
12) Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden
13) Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

1) 1776 - Iced Earth
2) Birth of Hate - Original (Thrash metal)
3) Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down (I think?)
4) Where do we go from Here Now? - Firewind
5) For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
6) Melancholy (Holy Martyr) - Iced Earth
7) Fire and the Fury - Firewind
8) Instrumental - Original (Power Metal)
9) Sweet home Alabama - Lynyrd Synyrd
10) Sweating Bullets - Megadeth
11) A Tout le Monde - Megadeth
12) Enter Sandman - Metallica

1) We Will Rock You - Queen
2) Randomosity - Original (Power metal)
3) Iron Man - Black Sabbath
4) Watching Over Me - Iced Earth
5) Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
6) House of the Rising Sun - The Animals (I think?)
7) Burnt Offerings - Iced Earth
8) Sweet Dreams - Marylin Manson
9) Come as You Are - Nirvana
10) Highway to Hell - AC/DC
11) Knocking on Heavens Door - Guns and Roses version
12) Fade to Black - Metallica
13) Crazy Train - Ozzy

End

How does it look? Any suggestions about the order?

druz15_UG
02-25-2008, 05:26 AM
GET YOUR LEVELS SET TO PERFECTION BEFORE YOU PLAY!!! I cannot stress this enough i have played several gigs where the sound technician was basically the barman standing 10 meters away going 'that sounds fine'.
First of all get the whole band minus the singer to play a chord progression over and over again, and get the singer to stand right in front, and then move further away, calling out what needs to be louder as he moves back.
Then when everything can be heard, get them to come up to the front again and double check to make sure everything sounds fine there. Then get somebody experienced to do what the singer did, with the singer singing to get the vocal levels right.
Without good p.a's and mic'd amps etc its hard to get a perfect sound but its better than nothing

littledude65
02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
In my opinion, I don't think that the encore has to be fast or slow, soft or upbeat. I just has to be EPIC. It has to be one of those songs where you just wish that a movie camera weas there, just because that moment is so amazing. Somethng that will leave the crowd awestruck and nearly speachless. Just my opinion.

June Moris
04-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Good advice.
Our setlist is set up to let the easier songs vocal wise come first.The first half of the set serves as a vocal warm up so I can belt out the hard ones.

AlmostLikeLife
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey, my band is getting together a setlist for our gig next month. How does this look:

1. Heavy original
2. Slower, but still heavy original
3. I Hate Everything About You (Three Days Grace cover)
[break]
4. Slower original
5. Even slower original
6. Paralyzer (Finger 11 cover)
7. Funky, upbeat original
[break]
8. A thrash improv session/solos
9. Send the Pain Below (Chevelle cover)
10. Original ballad
11. Leader of Men (Nickelback cover)

There are a few styles represented here, as you can see. The thrash improv session is something we decided to throw in just so we can have a little fun up there. Any comments/suggestions?

Symmetry4321
05-26-2008, 07:53 AM
End on the ballad, they make awesome gig enders

godisasniper
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I start with a huge-sounding slow origonal that has a breakdown that can basically be endless, so I can talk over it, introduce us, etc, then I build up, playing faster and faster, more and more energetic songs until the last song, which is usually by MCR or Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, since those kill my voice and they're a bit longer and more energetic.

thedefrockednun
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
heres a few tips on difrent kinda bands:

bands who only play covers:
-start with a song that EVERYBODY knows preferably with a known intro (e.g. Enter Sandman)
-finish with a song that has nice outro (e.g. )

bands who play Originals AND Covers:
-Start with a very known cover (same as before) that most pple love and you'll get the crowds attention for your originals.

-always try and inject 1 or 2 covers to give the audiance something they know

-end with an original, preferably your best original so that you leave a great personal last touch and then pple who saw you and enjoyed the gig will remember most of all your original, you could also end with a great cover (e.g. VR-Slither) and have an original for the encore.

-hope i helped you out, i basically mixed up some personal experience with some wise UG thoughts ive read on the threads/!

Xzcutioner21
08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
the only thing i could possibly add: practice

before your gig be sure and run your set for time- make sure you're within the set time you've been given. further, the pre-gig rehearsal is a good time to make sure all the sticky bits and tricky parts are coming off smoothly.

more than anything make sure you're prepared. your band's act isn't going to matter much if your songs aren't polished and ready to be played for people- no amount of stage presence is going to make up for a ****ty set. better to play a short, tight set than a long, sloppy, ill-prepared one.

But if your performance on stage is gonna suck, at least suck with style :p:

Symmetry4321
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
But if your performance on stage is gonna suck, at least suck with style :p:

I've tried that, it never actually works

People would then always comment on how you look on stage rarther the music, which sucks

Xzcutioner21
08-11-2008, 07:40 AM
I've tried that, it never actually works

People would then always comment on how you look on stage rarther the music, which sucks

You have a point. Lol. But the guy who told me that plays keyboards like the guy in Dream Theater. haha. so I listened.

Will D
08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
How about these songs gents:

Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
Dakota - Stereophonics
Original song, loud rocking chorus, with quiet melodic verses.
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Alright Now - Free

Any suggestions on order? Thanks in advance.

luke2609
08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
good advice there mate, that's given me some food for thought. One thing I would say, and I think others may have said too, is that I would personally use a fairly up-beat song in the encore, perhaps not your best song - that should be used at the end of the main set - but one of your best, so you can just ease off a little from the climax but keep your audience interested and end your gig on a high. Good thread though

bartdevil_metal
08-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey guys,

How many songs do you reckon we cahn play for an hour set? My singer says we should learn 15, but I think he's got hishead up is ass as that is 54 minutes of music. How long between each song do you think?

Will D
08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey guys,

How many songs do you reckon we cahn play for an hour set? My singer says we should learn 15, but I think he's got hishead up is ass as that is 54 minutes of music. How long between each song do you think?

I'd say start off with 3 songs on the fly, that's about 15 mins. Then have a 5 minute break and chat to the crowd also, use this time to change guitars/tunings and stick any songs that need alternate guitars/tunings after the break, then do another 3 songs so now you're at approx 35 mins. Hopefully the crowd should be more pumped by now, so maybe take a longer break, with a bit of band to crowd banter/joking around etc so that's approx 45 mins, then play one more song, then another short break, followed by your best song to finish the set up.

:peace:

edit: so thats 8 songs, although you should probably learn 9 then run through lengths etc. in practice.

Symmetry4321
08-26-2008, 07:32 PM
My band can manage 7, 8 if we are unfriendly in half an hour, so 12 or 13 would be ideal (that's if you don't need to spend anytime changing the tuning of guitars)

Symmetry4321
09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
On another subject a friend of mine i thinking of starting an acoustic side project and he got 10 songs which he is considering startinbg off with: any suggestion on an order to play them at a gig?

Gone Away (Offspring)
Falls Apart (Hurt)
Mama Said (Metallica)
Floods (Fightstar)
The Nobodies (Maralyn Manson)
Machines (Biffy Clyro)
*****house Blues (Motorhead)
Map of the Problematique (Muse)
Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
Hollow Years (Dream Theater)

lesdan
11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
okay, setlist for my schools "rockdown" its a benifit for kids with cancer event with a bunch of bands and games alll nite so my band got a spot to play.

for whom the bell tolls

whole lotta love

over the mountain

living after midnight

cowboys from hell

t.n.t.

hot for teacher

and we arent all in agreement with the rest of the songs yet but what do you think so for?

Symmetry4321
11-11-2008, 11:17 AM
^

Start with Pantera
Then play Metallica
Anything is fine to go in whatever order at this point but...
End on Led Zepplin

Amarant
12-28-2008, 07:50 AM
How do you tell a young band that they shouldn't start with a ballad and should finish with their best song, instead of putting it in the middle of the set?

Silent_Jester13
12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
How do you tell a young band that they shouldn't start with a ballad and should finish with their best song, instead of putting it in the middle of the set?

Either tell them or make them learn on their own. They seem really stupid.

Symmetry4321
12-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm curious to know what songs they are on about, unless it's originals because then i need to hear them

11thHour
12-30-2008, 09:19 AM
^

Start with Pantera
Then play Metallica
Anything is fine to go in whatever order at this point but...
End on Led Zepplin

No man they should end with Pantera!
Something really lively and well known is perfect for the closing song

timeizprecious
01-03-2009, 03:01 PM
How about these songs gents:

Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
Dakota - Stereophonics
Original song, loud rocking chorus, with quiet melodic verses.
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Alright Now - Free

Any suggestions on order? Thanks in advance.

This is what I think it should be

Times Like These
Accidentally in love
Original song
Dakota
Nothing else matters
Alright now (make sure you have an amazing solo and then a crash up at the end, while the lead singer shouts stuff like you were the best f***ing crowd ever and then end)

Hope this helps

Symmetry4321
01-06-2009, 11:03 AM
No man they should end with Pantera!
Something really lively and well known is perfect for the closing song

Pantera would be good if Stairway to heaven weren't one of the best known songs ever, not as good as the Panters track but one of the most well known ever

andychalmers102
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok so the acoustic folk/indie pop duo that i'm in has this setlist so far for a 45 minute set... any suggestions are appreciated:

Jack Johnson – Taylor
Tegan and Sara – Living Room
TALK
Red Brick Wall (original)
Kimya Dawson – Tire Swing
Ben Lee – We’re All In this Together
Pearl And The Puppets – Because I Do
TALK
The Kooks – She Moves In Her Own Way
Dash & Will – Fighting Over Nothing

Encore:
Drowning In Dust (original)
John Butler Trio – Better Than

cazador
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
What you wrote was the kinda thing I'd always go by in my head when I'm choosing it,good advise.You should do something on playing in front of different crowds and venues.

Lydian_Mode
01-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned it (or maybe my reading skills are just really bad), but connecting songs together is one of my favorite things to do and see live. A band that does this very well is Dream Theater (see how they do Beyond This Life --> Hollow Years --> War Inside My Head --> The Test That Stumped Them All on "Live at Budokan")

To me it really helps keep the set flowing. For example, my band played Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and the Pokemon Theme Song at one of our shows. Since we ended Livin' on a fermat-ed G, and Pokemon starts out with one, we let the G ring out, the piano started doing the Pokemon vamp, then our drummer gave 3 hi-hat hits and we began, "I wanna be/the very best........"

Does anyone else do this too?

WhereArtEsteban
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned it (or maybe my reading skills are just really bad), but connecting songs together is one of my favorite things to do and see live. A band that does this very well is Dream Theater (see how they do Beyond This Life --> Hollow Years --> War Inside My Head --> The Test That Stumped Them All on "Live at Budokan")

To me it really helps keep the set flowing. For example, my band played Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer and the Pokemon Theme Song at one of our shows. Since we ended Livin' on a fermat-ed G, and Pokemon starts out with one, we let the G ring out, the piano started doing the Pokemon vamp, then our drummer gave 3 hi-hat hits and we began, "I wanna be/the very best........"

Does anyone else do this too?
Agreeeee. This is hellz fun. We did it with two of our originals for a couple of shows, but we don't really play those anymore.

nrt4
02-22-2009, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=SomeEvilDude]

2) Crowd Interaction: If you're playing a set with three or more songs, crowd interaction becomes quite important. Introducing the group, the individual members of the band and the names of the songs before/after you play them are the basics. This at least lets the crowd have some connection to the band. To indulge further, a singer could do a crowd dive (incredibly egotistical and not always well-recieved, but fun if it works), the guitarist (leads permitting) could wander out into the crowd whilst playing a solo or even just rhythm parts etc. Slightly less on the extreme side, perhaps a story behind a song, or a bit of banter with the crowd - usually jokes or telling them how great the venue/town is are good - or letting the crowd sings parts of a well-known song, or possibly a call and response type thing with the crowd.

QUOTE] Reminds me of The Simpsons

Mick Jagger: No matter where or size of the crowd say its the wildest town in the whole damn world
Cheif Wiggum: So you didn't mean it last year in Springfeild
Mick: Ummm Yes we meant it only because Springfreild is the wildest town in the whole damn world

bluesrocker101
03-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Quick question:

Would it be a good idea to start with a quick up beat song (obviously) but it goes into this break down, sort of funky bluesy jam, that has the possibility of making the song quite long compared to the original song. The song would transform from 3:30 to about 6ish minutes. Or would that be saved for the middle of the set?

Symmetry4321
03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Quick question:

Would it be a good idea to start with a quick up beat song (obviously) but it goes into this break down, sort of funky bluesy jam, that has the possibility of making the song quite long compared to the original song. The song would transform from 3:30 to about 6ish minutes. Or would that be saved for the middle of the set?

Middle of set unless youur audience is acoustomed to long then it would be alright

gabcd86
03-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Alright, I'm playing at an open-mic night, alone. Songs will be

An up-beat, bright sounding original
Patience by GnR
Used to Love her by GnR

All of them with the solos removed :(

Physcosick
03-09-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a thing against playing 2 songs by the same artist in the same gig, no matter how long it is (if at all possible)... let alone a 3 song set. If you walk in and the entire audience is wearing GnR shirts, then by all means. But I think it's better to diversify your set to attract a range of listeners.

gabcd86
03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Makes sense. Even if one is an unknown song?

SeeEmilyPlay
03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice work here. Thanks.

Physcosick
03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I once was watching a band at a bar in town and they played a Green day song, which I hated. They played another song afterward. Then they followed up that 2nd song with another Green Day. I left and spent the rest of the night making fun of the band. Now this is a little extreme and I doubt you'll run into someone as ruthless as I am but my point remains. I think it's infinitely better to play as much of a mix as you can, while still having as much fun as you possibly can, in order to bring more people. This includes lesser known songs. Now there will be a lot of guys that can come in here and post something along the lines of "don't listen to him, play whatever you want and have fun, it's all that matters" and if that's how you feel, then by all means rock on. However, I'm just saying it's better to diversify to attract a wider range of the audience to your music.
It's really up to your answer to this question... what's better?
You play three of your favorite GnR songs and one person comes up after and props you on your performance.
or...
You play three songs from three different bands and three different people come up to you to give you props.

Now this is assuming anyone will talk to you in the first place and it's kind of a bad example but it gets the point across, i think. The fact that your going to be alone also may interfere in your final decision because you don't want to go out of your comfort zone... but do what you think is best.

gabcd86
03-10-2009, 02:40 AM
Okay, help me re-order.

Up-beat original
Patience GnR
Little Wing Hendrix
Starlight Muse

I was thinking that order, because the ending of Starlight is quite cool. Then again, Patience is hard for my voice, so putting it last might be a safe bet, and it's got a cool ending that I'm gonna involve the audience in :D

3BlindMyceZeke
03-13-2009, 06:12 PM
I think encores are like one of the best times to play a cover or one of your more popular/better songs that you haven't played all night. You can also start out with a ballad, AFI did that once; Prelude 12/21 then got into the groove a little. But still-great advice, man...

3BlindMyceZeke
03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Although...actually, hate for double post but it's a completely different subject and kind of a bump-up:

I'm a member of a punk band needing a set list to practise. We don't have scheduled a gig yet, because we don't have enough complete material to play live. How's this setlist?:

Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
Crossed Over (original material, rap-rock and alternative metal think Linkin Park)
Million Suns (Also original, alternative ballad think Snow Patrol)
What the Hell's He Saying A Smart Person Can Tell (PUNK. Like, Green Day and the Clash mixed together)
Forever Scarred (Also original hard rock think Powderfinger with, like, 3 Days Grace emo-ness)
Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day
Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's
IF encore:
The Joker - Steve Miller Band

Ddaydevice13
03-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I think the best way to end a gig is with a really EPIC song as someone previously stated, but, its great if it has a huge crazy solo in the end to just wow people, like, free bird (if you want to end on a ballad) or maybe Mr. Crowley (its a good rock song with a great ending solo)

dethboy122
03-26-2009, 08:09 PM
So gig coming up, only have time for a few song, Limit 30- 45 minutes all depending on what time we get started.

Raining Blood- Slayer (always open with this)
Master of Puppets- Metallica
Mechanix- Megadeth
Cemetary Gates- Pantera
Original Compostition (about 8 minutes long)
Anarchy in the UK- Sex Pistols
Hammer Smashed Face- Cannibal Corpse

Symmetry4321
03-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Put Master of Puppets to 2nd to last i reckon but otherwise thats a really good set

SAVE_US.DWD
04-02-2009, 06:24 PM
ok my bands got a small gig in a few months(our first one)

and these are the songs that we're more than likly going to play but i dont know what order to put them in

Shock Me-KISS
Talk Dirty To Me-Poison
Pour Some Sugar On Me-Def Leppard
Your Gunna Go Far Kid-The Offspring
Into The Void-KISS

thanks in advance

Baba O'Riley
04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
^^^ What songs do you think you guys play best?

You want to leave at least two songs between the KISS songs because that's a lot of KISS for a small set. I'd probably close with Pour Some Sugar On Me because I think that's probably the biggest song out of that list.

SAVE_US.DWD
04-11-2009, 03:38 AM
umm our best is probably talk dirty to me

also we might throw we will rock u in there

its_alive
04-16-2009, 10:13 PM
sir, you just saved my setlist.

thank you. :)

Ktool The Girth
04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
My band is getting ready to start doing shows and we've been discussing set orders. The 2 guitarists want to start off with playing an ambient intro track through the pa then having that flow into a rather dull instrumental. (3 riffs, no solos). Ive been trying to convince them that this is a bad way to start a show. Can anyone tell me if Im write here? Ive told them that we should start with a upbeat faster song, but they say no, this is good enough.

Baba O'Riley
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
umm our best is probably talk dirty to me

also we might throw we will rock u in there

Then I would close with Talk Dirty To Me. Your strongest song should be played last because the last song leaves the last impression on the audience.
My band is getting ready to start doing shows and we've been discussing set orders. The 2 guitarists want to start off with playing an ambient intro track through the pa then having that flow into a rather dull instrumental. (3 riffs, no solos). Ive been trying to convince them that this is a bad way to start a show. Can anyone tell me if Im write here? Ive told them that we should start with a upbeat faster song, but they say no, this is good enough.

Tell them that the first song is your chance to grab the audience and get them pumped up. If you don't play a fast tempo song you won't get them excited.

Ktool The Girth
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Then I would close with Talk Dirty To Me. Your strongest song should be played last because the last song leaves the last impression on the audience.

Tell them that the first song is your chance to grab the audience and get them pumped up. If you don't play a fast tempo song you won't get them excited.
Its not that its a slow song, its just a boring one. If Im bored playing it, I can only imagine how bored the audience would be.

Baba O'Riley
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
^^^ What exactly makes it boring?

Ktool The Girth
04-21-2009, 10:31 PM
^^^ What exactly makes it boring?
Its just 3 boring riffs over and over. Heres a link to it, he calls it angel of 100 fates.

http://www.myspace.com/requiemsoul

Its just boring, doesnt go anywhere, the bass is only like 3 notes (probably why I dont like it since Im the bassist). I just think itd be a bad opener. The singer doesnt care either way.

Baba O'Riley
04-22-2009, 12:04 AM
I listened to the song. I think the best solution is a compromise. I suggest playing about the first minute and a half of the song so you segue from the third riff into the second song in your set.

Ktool The Girth
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I listened to the song. I think the best solution is a compromise. I suggest playing about the first minute and a half of the song so you segue from the third riff into the second song in your set.
This actually sounds not bad. Thanks for the help.

Baba O'Riley
04-23-2009, 11:57 PM
^^^ No problem. :cheers:

06-22-2009, 05:20 AM
1 tip on song selection
Under no circumstances take an audience member's request for Freebird seriously.

hitl
08-06-2009, 08:16 AM
what do you think about this set list

cochise - audioslave
bulls on parade - ratm (short version without vocals)
set me free - velvet revolver
crazy bitch - buckcherry
i am mine - pearl jam
plush - stone temple pilots
one and the same - audioslave

i am the highway - audioslave
illegal i song - velvet revolver
slither - velvet revolver
killing in the name - ratm

paradise city - gnr

Baba O'Riley
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
^^^ I think that has too many covers by Velvet Revolver, RATM and Audioslave in the same set.

guitarvinnie
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
ok so we are a trio (sometimes a four piece with about 30 covers) here are the songs we play as a trio at bars and stuff.

THERE ARE ONLY 3 OF US!!

Whats it feel like to be a ghost- TBS
Heart shaped box- nirvana
Welcome to paradise-greenday
basket case-greenday
dirty deeds- acdc
inside out- eve 6
Rockn in the free world-neil young
Jenny jenny (8675309)- tommy 2tone
born too late- the clarks
Dammit- blink 182
all the small things-blink182

so thats pretty much our style

MORE SUGGESTIONS (popular songs) WE CAN PLAY??

Whats another good nirvana song (besides teenspirit) we can cover??

Please help!!

Phillip McGraaw
08-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I have started to listen to American music. I love your music choice, my friend, but I would also suggest playing "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin, and I would also suggest playing the "Be as it may" be replaced by Sister Disco.

Thank you,

My massage,

Phillip McGraaw

MyS3lF
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Play any Muse song.

guitarvinnie
08-22-2009, 02:23 PM
yea okay

ILuvPillows?
08-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Play any Muse song.

He said it's a trio, not a trio with more effects than a magic show.

guitarvinnie
08-22-2009, 02:25 PM
thank you kind sir

Take This Life
08-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Whats another good nirvana song (besides teenspirit) we can cover??

Please help!!

You could do Polly the way they played it on From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah.
ex : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZaATS-kkI

EDIT: Breed is good too.

BlitzkriegAir
08-22-2009, 02:28 PM
play Breed by Nirvana

tubatom868686
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Red hot chili peppers stuff is easy to pull off as a trio, as long as 2 of you can sing

Firebirdz
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
You could do Polly the way they played it on From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah.
ex : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZaATS-kkI

My favorite Polly version.
Other awesome nirvana stuff you can do are In Bloom,Aneurysm(for some weird reason lots of people i know dont know this great song) or Breed.

EDIT:beaten to Breed.Twice. :peace:

KingJak236
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Maybe do a Foo Fighters song like "Breakout" or something, they're always fun.

You could try "Come As You Are" by Nirvana?

"Fat Lip" by Sum 41? Just a few off the top of my head.

sivad21089
08-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Red hot chili peppers stuff is easy to pull off as a trio, as long as 2 of you can sing

Californication ftw
or In Bloom by Nirvana

Up_The_irons666
08-22-2009, 02:39 PM
yeah you need singer for rhcp stuff but you just cant do rhcp without a bass player.

guitarvinnie
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
yeah you need singer for rhcp stuff but you just cant do rhcp without a bass player.

our bass player has trouble playing the bass to basket case, theres no way he can get the fills that flea does

Up_The_irons666
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
our bass player has trouble playing the bass to basket case, theres no way he can get the fills that flea does
oooohhh darn it! rhcp without the bass is not that catchy.
dramamine by modest mouse? its pretty easy for bass

guitarvinnie
08-22-2009, 02:58 PM
oooohhh darn it! rhcp without the bass is not that catchy.
dramamine by modest mouse? its pretty easy for bass

its gotta be a good bar song or just a popular song...

JacobTheMe
08-22-2009, 03:09 PM
"Drain You" Nirvana
"Ballroom Blitz" Sweet
"Just What I Needed" The Cars

jking948
08-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Everlong - Foo Fighters????, that is usually a great song to get people pumped, and I have pulled it off as a 3 piece before.
Also, I c you are doing Rockin' In The Free World, this song, if you can close it with an extended jam version, gets people so pumped up, for an example Pearl Jam has a version. But once, my band played it normally as are closer, and people liked but weren't as energized, then when we threw in a 3 minute jam, they loved it. Now you can just do a one minute jam, maybe you take a long solo, just throw some stuff in, and that works out AMAZING!

Jonny Ryan Mac
08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Where would you put "Turn the Page" in a cover set, middle, end, early?

We play a rendition that closly mimics the metallica version, but it has our own flare and drama. Were a power trio, and we keep it raw and simple. It has the high energy that you'd expect, and I have always been fond of it as a closer, but my bandmates disagree and it usually ends up about 4 or 5 on the list.

Is it just me? Where would you put it?

chrisatgrace
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Where would you put "Turn the Page" in a cover set, middle, end, early?

We play a rendition that closly mimics the metallica version, but it has our own flare and drama. Were a power trio, and we keep it raw and simple. It has the high energy that you'd expect, and I have always been fond of it as a closer, but my bandmates disagree and it usually ends up about 4 or 5 on the list.

Is it just me? Where would you put it?

well how fast do you guys play it? because if you do a slower version, it might be a good song right before the end. Play that, and then some really energetic closer.

Jonny Ryan Mac
08-25-2009, 12:45 AM
It starts slow buit builds up to a big finish. I'll sudgest again that we move it to the end.

Thanks.

ehlert99
09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
My secret to great crowd output----

This is my little secret to help some of you who want to do covers or get the crowd going.

I do this set 2nd which is around 10:15pm-11:10pm *times WILL vary with each playing*

Hit me with your best shot
I love rock n roll
Hurt so good
Takin care of business
Brown Eyed Girl
Walking on Sunshine
Blister in the sun
Mony mony
Jenny (8675309)
Authority song
I want you to want me
Kissed a Girl
Crazy Train (sometimes switched with johnny b.)

its not perfect but I haven't gotten complaints yet with it :)

jibran
09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
So i'm playing a gig in a new town. I understood the dynamics of my old town. But this one is more urban, with more nu-metalcore and deathcore fans than actual death metal fans.

I play progressive death metal. We're a new band as I'm newish and we're quite well rehearsed. To be honest though we have only songs we are truly confident with as some of the originals I write take up to two weeks competently, our rhythm guitarist and bass player are talented but haven't been in a band before. So they are still getting to grips with being in a prog/tech death band.
Our songs are:

1. Tracks in the snow (a fast paced melodic death metal song with guitar solos)
2. Lack of comprehension (by death, relatively fast paced song)
3. Descent(our most technical song and the fastest, lots of blastbeats throughout)
4. untitled (our heavy ambient song)

I don't know what order I should have our songs in :confused:
Any other tips/advice will be much appreciated :D

Razgriz_101
09-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Well from this im gonna order my songs like this

Electric Crown-Testament
Seek and Destroy-Metallica
Kill the king-Megadeth

we only have a 3 song set :'( if we do get called for an Encore were gonna play Rock and Roll ain noise polution for an absolute laugh cause we could get a crowd going with it.Even better a crowd which actively participates in signin :P

ehlert99
09-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Well just remember, if your playing at bar/club venues most of the time youre paid to play what the crowd wants so make sure you keep your songs in relation to the area...

Example I am not going to play at a small town bar in wisconsin and have my sets be composed of Slayer/Opeth/Celtic Frost stuff..

Aidy Damage
09-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Here's my band's last setlist- nicked and uploaded by a fan!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs210.snc1/7717_123645508038_547968038_2150734_1288828_n.jpg

Of course, they're all original... full names:

[Requiem For A Dream Intro]
Fiends
Silences Are Deadly
Dreams Are Dangerous
Thunderfly
They're Using Mind Control Tactics
Hold On For Your Life

Here's the lowdown and how we put the set together:

We had the Requiem For A Dream theme over the PA to create a sense of buildup- there's nothing worse than shuffling onstage and muttering a shy 'ummm... hi... we're a band', then stumbling into your opener.

Our opener, Fiends is a new song. This may only have worked because we have an established following, but if you've built up a fanbae who now know your material, starting with a newie can give your audience the signal to expect the unexpected. The song itself is fast-paced with a half-time chorus- these sort of songs tend to go down well first.

Silences Are Deadly is started by our drummer right after Fiends. This gave me a chance to get the audience clapping along while I introduced the band. This gives you a chance to let everyone know who you are and maintain momentum- do it. The song itself keeps up the pace, and is a well-known song of ours. Throwing out a well-known song really early can be exciting for an audience because it shows confidence in your new material.

Dreams Are Dangerous was a fan request that we we'ren't going to play, but we were bugged to before we wrote the set! We're glad we did, though- the reception was great. Throwing in a fan-favourite that isn't played often can really add a mid-set boost- Metallica are good at doing this.

Thunderfly is another newie. If you're going to be playing some new material to a familiar audience, make sure you spread it out- otherwise you could be in danger of making your fans feel a little alienated when they want to really get into it.

They're Using Mind Control Tactics is an instrumental that builds up and builds up- our Mogwai moment. The last chord is the first chord of...

...Hold On For Your Life- our most well-known song. Your most well-known song is probably well-known for a reason- people like it. It starts with just me playing guitar, so I was able to say a little end-of-gig speech before I started singing. Again, it's about MOMENTUM- we try to keep breaks to a minimum or off the menu completely. Completely irrelevant to the craft of the setlist, but it was awesome to be able to stop singing in the chorus and let the audience take over- nothing will ever top that for me.

Hope this helps y'all!

due 07
09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
The band I am in is going to be doing a short gig for Ladies Tea, it's like a thing at the school for kids to bring their Mom's. Anyways, I am generally in charge of thngs like putting together a setlist. Here goes:

1. Tomorrow Never Stays (original, upbeat song. Compaers to 2000 light years away by Green Day)
2. Lost At Sea (A folky poppy song, with a slightly darker sound. Harmonica solo that is a real crowd-pleasr.)
3. Mad World (Our darkest song, but it's our only cover. It's a version that is like if Oasis played this song)
4. In A Hole (a sad-ish song, but shorter. Another original)
5. Wings (A VERY Beatlesy original, the most happy and upbeat song)

If we play a sixth, we will probably to Tomorrow Never Stays again. Does anyone know of any covers that would go over really well to that crowd? Our singer has a voice kind of like Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. Similair range, anyways.

gabcd86
10-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Any advice on this setlist for a solo bar gig?

Love me Two Times - The Doors
Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Something - The Beatles
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters (bit concerned about this one - it's what I'm going to call myself, but I'm not sure if I've got the gravitas to pull it off, if you see what I mean?)
Bad Penny - Rory Gallagher
As Tears Go By - The Stones
Pride and Joy - SRV
Upbeat poppy original
Paradise City - GNR (reworked, de-solo'd)
Little T&A - The Stones
Creep - Radiohead
Wonderful Tonight - E. Clapton
Singleton Blues - original, blues, riff-based, fast
Garota de Ipanema - Tom Jobim
Layla (acoustic) - E. Clapton
Sweet Home Chicago - R. Johnson
Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Muse
Angel's Smile - original, fast-ish
Patience - GN'R

Cheers

axemanchris
10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Green Day fans....

(in other words, anyone who's just going to jump on and bash the project because 'pop punk pozers suck @ss' or whatever should really just move on and save your typing efforts....)

I'm putting together a Green Day tribute band. We're going to be doing what most people would consider "the usual suspects", and we're looking for some 'fan favourites' that Green Day fans would want to hear that might not have held much, if any, chart presence.

Here is our setlist so far (not in order yet):
Basketcase
Longview
When September Ends
Warning
Know Your Enemy
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Geek Stink Breath
When I Come Around

We're looking at adding:
Minority
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Welcome to Paradise
Brain Stew
Jaded
Walking Contradiction
Hitchin' A Ride
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Redundant
21 Guns

.... maybe Waiting?? Macy's Day Parade??

What other songs would YOU want to see added if YOU were to go see a Green Day tribute?

I know 20 songs looks like a lot, but when a lot of them are barely three minutes, and the expectation is to play for 90 minutes, we need at least a couple more songs. (the 19 songs I listed, according to my iTunes, comes in at 1.1 hrs, so 66 minutes. )

Thanks!

CT

axemanchris
10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
My secret to great crowd output----

This is my little secret to help some of you who want to do covers or get the crowd going.

I do this set 2nd which is around 10:15pm-11:10pm *times WILL vary with each playing*

Hit me with your best shot
I love rock n roll
Hurt so good
Takin care of business
Brown Eyed Girl
Walking on Sunshine
Blister in the sun
Mony mony
Jenny (8675309)
Authority song
I want you to want me
Kissed a Girl
Crazy Train (sometimes switched with johnny b.)

its not perfect but I haven't gotten complaints yet with it :)

That looks great for a 30-something crowd or even older. I'm curious as to how many younger people would dig this. There's almost nothing that is less than 20 years old. I would recommend keeping a lot of that, and not replacing but adding some newer stuff that is as popular as the songs that are already on your list.

Though it's true that there are bars that tend to draw that demographic, it is also true that there are more people in their 20's going to bars than there are people in their 30's or 40's. Significantly more. I would expect they would want to hear stuff from the last ten years or so.

CT

drewfromutah
10-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Green Day fans....

(in other words, anyone who's just going to jump on and bash the project because 'pop punk pozers suck @ss' or whatever should really just move on and save your typing efforts....)

I'm putting together a Green Day tribute band. We're going to be doing what most people would consider "the usual suspects", and we're looking for some 'fan favourites' that Green Day fans would want to hear that might not have held much, if any, chart presence.

Here is our setlist so far (not in order yet):
Basketcase
Longview
When September Ends
Warning
Know Your Enemy
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Geek Stink Breath
When I Come Around

We're looking at adding:
Minority
American Idiot
Jesus of Suburbia
Welcome to Paradise
Brain Stew
Jaded
Walking Contradiction
Hitchin' A Ride
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Redundant
21 Guns

.... maybe Waiting?? Macy's Day Parade??

What other songs would YOU want to see added if YOU were to go see a Green Day tribute?

I know 20 songs looks like a lot, but when a lot of them are barely three minutes, and the expectation is to play for 90 minutes, we need at least a couple more songs. (the 19 songs I listed, according to my iTunes, comes in at 1.1 hrs, so 66 minutes. )

Thanks!

CT

Dude, I think Armatage Shanks has to be in there somewhere. It's one of their most rocking songs.

manipulator70
10-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Green Day are awesome. I wish you the best of luck with your project. When September Ends is my favourite.

axemanchris
10-09-2009, 01:04 AM
@manipulator - thanks for your support. FTW ;) :D :cheers:

@drew - thanks for the suggestion. I'll look that one up. Any others?

CT

Plexi81
10-11-2009, 01:36 AM
This honestly depends a lot on what you're playing, if you play classical, then your last song should be more epic or heroic then upbeat and poppy, at the same time, if you play, say, funk, then it's your middle section that should have the most action and the beginning that should just be mellow.

It really just depends on who your playing for, and boils down to common sense.

due 07
10-11-2009, 08:22 PM
@manipulator - thanks for your support. FTW ;) :D :cheers:

@drew - thanks for the suggestion. I'll look that one up. Any others?

CT

My favroite Green Day song right now is Peacemaker. It's off their new album. Also Murder City and Last of the American Girls. If you want, ry something from their first album like At the Library of I was There.

PJ=Metal
10-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey im going to do an acoustic gig for my high schools Theater opening night thing and i was wondering if this set list will be fine or should i add more (if yes what?) but heres The set list as of now by the way its a fifteen min set one before the show and intermission

Before show set list:
Yellow By Coldplay
Little motel by Modest mouse
Use somebody by Kings of leon
Float on by modest mouse
Sex on fire By Kings of leon
Just Breath By Pearl Jam
Dust In the Wind By Kansas

Intermission Set List:
Absolution By Megadeth
Black hole sun By soundgarden
Black By Pearl jam
Dosent remind Me By Audio Slave
Stellar By Incubus
Drive By Incubus
EverLong By Foo Fighters

What Do You Guys Think?

axemanchris
10-15-2009, 09:49 PM
My favroite Green Day song right now is Peacemaker. It's off their new album. Also Murder City and Last of the American Girls. If you want, ry something from their first album like At the Library of I was There.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. This is the second response in a row from places that I have asked that has suggested Peacemaker. Interesting. I wonder if it will be the next single. I'll also check out the other suggestions too. Thanks again!

CT

ATXTheKiller
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Alright, gig at a birthday party on the first, gonna be outdoors, me on rhythm and vocals, friends on drums, bass, and lead guitar. Setlist is such (not in order, want to know what a good sequence would be):

A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed and Cambria
Delirium Trigger - Coheed and Cambria
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Turnover - Fugazi
Under The Milky Way (acoustic) - The Church

stunt_metal
10-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Alright, gig at a birthday party on the first, gonna be outdoors, me on rhythm and vocals, friends on drums, bass, and lead guitar. Setlist is such (not in order, want to know what a good sequence would be):

A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed and Cambria
Delirium Trigger - Coheed and Cambria
Waiting Room - Fugazi
Turnover - Fugazi
Under The Milky Way (acoustic) - The Church

I don't know all of these songs well enough to suggest an overall order, but my old band opened up with Favor House a few times and it always went over well.

stangconv
10-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey I am getting a couple guys together to play at my Mothers 50th Birthday party.

Here is our rough set of songs we want to play

Bad Girlfriend-Theory of a Deadman
Deny- Default
Keep Away -Godsmack
Machinehead-Bush
Remedy-Seether
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Gasoline-Seether
Bad moon Rising - CCR
Man in the Box- Alice in Chains
Old time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger
Resurrection - Moist
Keep on rocking in the free world -Neil Young
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
Shook me all Night long -AC/DC

What what be a good order? This will be later in the night, with a couple others playing before us.

Clabbe
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Good tips 'n pointers. Thnx a lot !

stangconv
11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey I am getting a couple guys together to play at my Mothers 50th Birthday party.

Here is our rough set of songs we want to play

Bad Girlfriend-Theory of a Deadman
Deny- Default
Keep Away -Godsmack
Machinehead-Bush
Remedy-Seether
White Wedding - Billy Idol
Gasoline-Seether
Bad moon Rising - CCR
Man in the Box- Alice in Chains
Old time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger
Resurrection - Moist
Keep on rocking in the free world -Neil Young
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar
Shook me all Night long -AC/DC

What what be a good order? This will be later in the night, with a couple others playing before us.

Anyone?

metalband84
11-22-2009, 10:34 PM
My bands last song has been one of our songs that starts off slow and chill, but progresses to be really upbeat and heavy at the end, going with a big bang.

metalband84
11-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Well just remember, if your playing at bar/club venues most of the time youre paid to play what the crowd wants so make sure you keep your songs in relation to the area...

Example I am not going to play at a small town bar in wisconsin and have my sets be composed of Slayer/Opeth/Celtic Frost stuff..

I dont really agree...If you play a certain style of music, you can't change it to fit a certain show. I see it as if your music isn't right for the show/audience, then its not the right show for you to be playing in.

Freunleven
12-04-2009, 07:28 AM
It helps (a lot) to have a setlist organized before the gig, but if the crowd isn't feeling it - try to change things up a bit. You're there for their entertainment, after all.

I actually saw a band once who had no organization. The guitar players only had one guitar with each of them, and every time they had to change tunings, there was a two-minute break in the entertainment. On top of that, they had no pre-arranged understanding of what they were going to play at all. After each song, they had to decide what to play next, and then change tunings, and . . . . gah!

I went home. :facepalm:

Powerslave1724
01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
My old coverband used to end the night with "Killin in the name of" and it always went over huge. By the time we played it almost everyone was wasted and everyone was yelling along with the song. The energy was great.

Highwaytohell
02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
What do you think of this setlist for a power trio?

1. Seek & Destroy - Metallica
2. Peace Sells - Megadeth
3. Ace of Spades - Motφrhead
4. Revolution - Judas Priest
5. Dead Skin Mask - Slayer
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

Fake Ending

7. Enter Sandman - Metallica*
8. Highway to Hell - AC/DC
9. Own Song

*Lights are off in the beginning and as soon as the bass kicks in lights begin to blink rapidly, to give the audience the actual Sandman music video feeling. Note: This only goes on for about 40 seconds. (check the song, from 0:16 to 0:56 more or less)

So, any suggestions? Is it ok?

This is for a cover band right? If you plan on being a cover band take out revolution and dead skin mask and implant more popular songs by those groups (Screaming for Vengeance and Angel of Death perhaps)

If you plan on being a more original band down the line, than screw it. write about 3 more originals so that you have 4 originals and 4 covers. 8 songs usually gives you at least a 30-35 minute set, which is as much as you'll get at most early venues. I would personally never play Sandman live. Ever. but hey it would get peoples attention...

FatStrat890
02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok for my bands first gig would it be better to crank out a few originals, a few covers or some of each?

Highwaytohell
02-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Ok for my bands first gig would it be better to crank out a few originals, a few covers or some of each?

50/50 is a good ratio for your first gig. Expose people to your possible sounds, and show them were you come from in that aspect.

Life Is Brutal
02-17-2010, 12:38 AM
For my schools talent show this year, Me (I would be Lead and Vocals) a Friend (Guitarist) and a Drummer (Aquaintance :haha) would be doing a set. Now, possible Orders I see would be this.

Opener would be Stabwound by Necrophagist, with or without vocals. Preferable to have Vocals, but the School may not let us, as the rest of the school is fearful of things they don't understand. :haha:

Next would probably be a Necrophagist solo, Advanced Corpse Tumor most likely, but If I can get any others up to Live Playability, they could go here.

A song by Death, We have a few that we could do, Symbolic, Crystal Mountain, Bite the Pain, Moment of Clarity (All with Vocals) or Voice of the Soul with a 3rd Guitarist on Acoustic, which is most likely.

And I would like to end on either Voice of the Soul or The Stillborn one Solo, as both would be pretty epic to end on.

It would be a set of 10 minutes minimum from what the song length says, give or take.

Good set?

tarekhaytham
02-17-2010, 05:47 AM
i have a gig in a couple of months in the university of medicine and so i want some suggestions....we're gonna play in front of some old people :S one of them is the minister of education and about 150-200 graduated doctors!(it's a reunion and they a band to play some music) so considering most of them are not heavily into music i am not gonna play any metal or heavy songs... we have 1 guitarist, a keyboardist, bassist, drummer and vocalist... son a couple of songs i thought about were shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd (without the sax solo) and here comes the sun by The Beatles.... any suggestions??? thanx

Highwaytohell
02-17-2010, 01:44 PM
For my schools talent show this year, Me (I would be Lead and Vocals) a Friend (Guitarist) and a Drummer (Aquaintance :haha) would be doing a set. Now, possible Orders I see would be this.

Opener would be Stabwound by Necrophagist, with or without vocals. Preferable to have Vocals, but the School may not let us, as the rest of the school is fearful of things they don't understand. :haha:

Next would probably be a Necrophagist solo, Advanced Corpse Tumor most likely, but If I can get any others up to Live Playability, they could go here.

A song by Death, We have a few that we could do, Symbolic, Crystal Mountain, Bite the Pain, Moment of Clarity (All with Vocals) or Voice of the Soul with a 3rd Guitarist on Acoustic, which is most likely.

And I would like to end on either Voice of the Soul or The Stillborn one Solo, as both would be pretty epic to end on.

It would be a set of 10 minutes minimum from what the song length says, give or take.

Good set?

I think this is hilarious- Necrophagist at a talent show lmao, unless alot of kids like technical death metal at school nobody will get it, still ****ing hilarious. I'm just worried at how tight you guys can get and the proficiency of the other musicians- those are some tough songs, so make sure you can play all of them :D

Highwaytohell
02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
i have a gig in a couple of months in the university of medicine and so i want some suggestions....we're gonna play in front of some old people :S one of them is the minister of education and about 150-200 graduated doctors!(it's a reunion and they a band to play some music) so considering most of them are not heavily into music i am not gonna play any metal or heavy songs... we have 1 guitarist, a keyboardist, bassist, drummer and vocalist... son a couple of songs i thought about were shine on you crazy diamond by Pink Floyd (without the sax solo) and here comes the sun by The Beatles.... any suggestions??? thanx

Pink floyd and The beatles would be great choices. Bob Dylan, Hendrix, anything oldschool sounds cool, maybe cheap trick (old people like cheap trick) or good 70s rock like Yes or Led Zeppelin.

Life Is Brutal
02-20-2010, 02:49 AM
I think this is hilarious- Necrophagist at a talent show lmao, unless alot of kids like technical death metal at school nobody will get it, still ****ing hilarious. I'm just worried at how tight you guys can get and the proficiency of the other musicians- those are some tough songs, so make sure you can play all of them

I was playing acoustic guitar in like all my classes today, and some chick asked me "Don't you play anything other than Classical stuff?" :haha:

Im really the only person whos first genre choice is Tech Death. The other guitarist is pretty indifferent to it, he's into metal in general. And then theres like one more of my friends who like Death Metal. So 3/150... But the rest should like it a bit if theres not vocals.

I can do an essentially perfect stabwound with vocals (Id give me a 8.5 to 10/10 for it) but I haven't been able to play it with the Other guitarist yet (He's been learning the Rythm). If the Drummer I have right now Can't do the drumming, Ill get our band teacher to do it, hes pretty damn professional.

Karel Juwet
03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey, I have a gig in about a month, and we've made up our setlist; would someone be so kind to comment on the order of songs?

1. Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
2. Medley with Bonkers - Dizzee Rascal; I've Gotta Feeling- Black Eyed Peas; Rock'n Roll train- AC/DC; Summer of 69 - Brian Adams
3. Wheels - Foo Fighters
4. Lady Lucy - own song
5. Vertigo - U2
6. Highway to Hell
(7. Butterfly - own song, sounds a bit smashing Pumpkins-ish)--> optional, or as an encore if everything goes well :-)

Karel

getmad24_7
03-09-2010, 10:59 PM
How many songs do you think I should have per artist in my setlist? Last time we played a show, someone mentioned we did to much of just one band and should diversify...what do you think a good number of songs per band would be? We do about 25-30 songs in a setlist, and we are mostly a cover band (right now we're just doing 3 originals)

scguitarking927
03-10-2010, 04:19 AM
How many songs do you think I should have per artist in my setlist? Last time we played a show, someone mentioned we did to much of just one band and should diversify...what do you think a good number of songs per band would be? We do about 25-30 songs in a setlist, and we are mostly a cover band (right now we're just doing 3 originals)

2 maybe 3 tops. Then you have the option to play them right after each other or spread them out across the set.

peace :peace:

Alex Vik
03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Do you guys think starting out with a song partly played by a backing track would work out? On my profile, there's a song called Eposet that's an instrumental, and if I rework it a bit, I was thinking it could work as an opener with the live instruments being drums, bass, and guitar.

Tokki Wartooth
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Hey how does this set-list look?

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Creeping Death
Powerslave
Four Horsemen
Beyond Evil (our one and only original song :haha: )
When the night falls
She Wolf
Path I Choose
Symphony Of Destruction
(if there's some time left)Battery OR Be Quick or Be Dead

Life Is Brutal
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
That seems like an alright Thrash setlist.

metalfest
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey guys,
im going to do a local show, i play guitar in a thrash metal band and im looking to complete my setlist.
we're thinking of playing like 5 songs in a total of 20/25 minutes.
we already have a original song that is a bit similar to fade to black and we're going to do a cover of enter sandman!
leave sugestion thanks!
cheers

jrock05
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
wats a good 10 song setlist for a one man acoustic band....in the genre of classic rock country southern rock????

JacobTheMe
03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
wats a good 10 song setlist for a one man acoustic band....in the genre of classic rock country southern rock????

No originals?

1. "Last Train To Clarksville" The Monkees
2. "Cocaine" JJ Cale
3. "Killing The Blues" Robert Plant + Allison Krauss
4. "On The Road Again" Willie Nelson
5. "Man Of The World" Peter Green
6. "Gimme Three Steps" Lynard Skynard
7. "Ramblin Man" Allman Brothers
8. "Listen To The Music" The Doobie Brothers
9. "Behind Blue Eyes" The Who
10. "Like A Rolling Stone" Bob Dylan

A lot of cliches, but it should be fine.

jrock05
03-30-2010, 12:23 AM
thanks man any more song suggestions i know about 40 or so just need a few more to play the full gig

metalfest
03-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,
im going to do a local show, i play guitar in a thrash metal band and im looking to complete my setlist.
we're thinking of playing like 5 songs in a total of 20/25 minutes.
we already have a original song that is a bit similar to fade to black and we're going to do a cover of enter sandman!
leave sugestion thanks!
cheers

JayPresto
05-01-2010, 06:18 AM
yeah pretty common sense really

DasiusPsycho
05-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey, my band has a show coming up this Saturday. So far we have got
Motorbreath-Metallica
Die Die My Darling-Metallica
Dead Skin Mask-Slayer
American High-Machine Head
Kill the Pain-ours
Inside of Me-ours
Schizophrenic-ours

We were thinking about adding another song in but can't really decide. Do you all think this is a good looking set? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Dukey
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
My band (Social Necrosis) & I have our first gig at 12/7, we play thrash metal...

Our Setlist (we have 30 minutes):
Holy Wars - Megadeth
Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Seek and Destroy or For Whom the Bell Tolls (we need to pick one of them...) - Metallica
Holy Diver - Dio

Issues:
1) I don't know how to arrange the order of the setlist, any ideas?
2) Seek or Bell Tolls? (I need a tip from Metallifans...)
3) Should we try to perform with an original song?

Dukey
06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey how does this set-list look?

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Creeping Death
Powerslave
Four Horsemen
Beyond Evil (our one and only original song :haha: )
When the night falls
She Wolf
Path I Choose
Symphony Of Destruction
(if there's some time left)Battery OR Be Quick or Be Dead

Battery is a great starter and Hallowed be Thy Name is a great end for a gig! SWITCH THEM! Symphony of Destruction can mix greatly with Hallowed Be Thy Name...
I like the fusion of Creeping Death with Powerslave...

chriscobonham
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm working on starting a band, but in said band I'm just the rhythm guitarist so I wouldn't be deciding this kind of thing :P I'm also working on having my own acoustic solo thing. I've only got one original song, and a decent repertoire of acoustic covers. (I just started getting serious, so the songs are all basic, but Green Day made a career out of basic songs so it should be okay) Can you suggest an order for the following songs?

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Dylan
Wonderful Tonight - Clapton
Creep - Radiohead
The One - Original (it's main inspiration is "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure)
First Impressions - Julia Nunes (look her up)
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground (I have a YouTube account and this cover is my most popular video)
Working Class Hero - John Lennon
Sink Florida Sink/Baby, I'm an Anarchist - Against Me! (I have a medley type thing planned)
Please help me out, I really want to start performing, and I don't know how to arrange a setlist of acoustic songs

hardrockerdave9
08-18-2010, 09:32 PM
What do you guys think of this set. We have our first headliner (and first gig at all) booked, so we can fit about 12 songs in. The reason we don't have names for the originals is cos we don't have fully written lyrics yet, but the gig is like a month away so they will be writte by then, the instruments for the originals are fully rehearsed though. Some slots have got 2 songs in, this is cos we've learned them both andwill decide on the night which to play.
1. Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
2. Original No 1
3. Chuck Berry Johnny B Goode
4. Original No 2
5. Guns N Roses Welcome to the jungle/ Nightrain
6. Original No 3
7. AC/DC Hells Bells
8. Black Stone Cherry Blind Man
9. Original No 4
10. Aerosmith Mama Kin
11. Original No5
12. AC/DC Let There Be Rock (nice powerfull one to finish on)
Encore (fingers crossed we get one) Either Another original if the srowd seemed to like the others or The Kinks All Day and all of the night
I know you don't know what the originals sound like, but our main influences are AC/DC, Joe Bonamassa, Aerosmith, BSC, Led Zep, so it's styles round that kind of stuff.
So what do you think?

C_Miller
09-22-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm working on starting a band, but in said band I'm just the rhythm guitarist so I wouldn't be deciding this kind of thing :P I'm also working on having my own acoustic solo thing. I've only got one original song, and a decent repertoire of acoustic covers. (I just started getting serious, so the songs are all basic, but Green Day made a career out of basic songs so it should be okay) Can you suggest an order for the following songs?

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Dylan
Wonderful Tonight - Clapton
Creep - Radiohead
The One - Original (it's main inspiration is "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure)
First Impressions - Julia Nunes (look her up)
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground (I have a YouTube account and this cover is my most popular video)
Working Class Hero - John Lennon
Sink Florida Sink/Baby, I'm an Anarchist - Against Me! (I have a medley type thing planned)
Please help me out, I really want to start performing, and I don't know how to arrange a setlist of acoustic songs

Julia Nunes is amazing! She's from my hometown (Rochester). If you have a recording of the cover, I'd love to hear it.

CrashLove
10-04-2010, 04:01 AM
My new band and I have our 1st gig at a Halloween party, so we picked songs that kinda fit the theme. I think I did pretty good arranging the set.

Astro Zombies - Misfits
Dead! - MCR
Days of the Phoenix - AFI
Vampires Will Never Hurt You - MCR
The Boy Who Destroyed the World - AFI
Night of the Living Dead - Misfits
Totalimmortal - AFI
Mama - MCR
A Single Second - AFI
Our Lady of Sorrows - MCR
Horror Business - Misfits
Halloween - AFI/Misfits
I Never Told You What I Do for a Living - MCR

And no, I didn't intend to alternate or cause a pattern.

Natrone
10-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I would really get more variety in the bands you cover. There's no reason to only cover 3 bands in a 13 song set. What you should really do is take some old classic Halloween-ish songs (i.e. 1 Eyed 1 Horned Flying Purple People Eater) and put your own twist on it.

JDizzle787
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
If I'm in an all original-song band, should I be concerned about trying to get my band gigs at bars? Is it just a recommendation to have a well known cover?

The place in my sig is closing and leaving us with one fewer options of venues to feel comfortable strutting our stuff without a cover, and while I'm not necessarily afraid to play an all original set to an older crowd, I'm just posing the question to get an idea.

Natrone
11-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Right now my band is looking at about a 13 song set for our first show. Included in those 13 is a 3 or 4 song Christmas set. I'm trying to decide where we should put the Christmas songs though. My thought right now is that the best thing would be to do the set and then play our last song. Does this sound like a good idea?

Silveroon009
12-24-2010, 01:23 AM
1. Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand
2. Fluorescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys
3. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
4. Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses
5. Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots
6. Plush (Unplugged) - Stone Temple Pilots
7. Black - Pearl Jam
8. Someday - The Strokes
9. D'yer Mak'er - Led Zeppelin
10. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
11. Enter Sandman - Metallica
12. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) - Megadeth
13. When You're Gone - The Cranberries
-Intermission-
14. When The Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys
15. Supermassive Black Hole - Muse
16. Zombie - Cranberries

Female singer FYI. And Zombie's ALWAYS our closing song. What do you think of the order of performance here?

ironmanben
01-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Well, the whole encore depends on your set, your mood, and the mood of the atmosphere and the crowd around you. Also, if you get an encore, why can't you just start it with a slow song, and just merge it into a fast paced one? Therefore, it goes both ways/

By the way, this thread is amazing.

I'm assuming this means Free Bird?

Anyway, I'd always end with a slow song. I've seen Motley Crue and I've seen Alice Cooper, and the Crue goes with Home Sweet Home as an encore and Cooper goes with School's Out. To me, it felt like Home Sweet Home (the slow one) eases you out of the concert more. With fast stuff at the end, there's just a drop in energy when the band goes offstage, and everyone's like, huh?

voodoo.chile_89
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
need help with a setlist(about 5 songs) for battle of the bands

I've got a battle of the bands coming up in college and I thought I'd participate seeing as I haven't exactly taken part in any of the college events in my first 2 years..
I've managed to get together a five piece band.. your standard drummer, lead & rhythm guitars, bass and vocals group! the guy playing bass happens to be wicked at the keys so if i can find someone for bass i could shuffle up a bit! anyways the battle of the bands gig is about a month away.. and i desperately need to finalize a setlist..

awhile ago i had come up with a few cover songs that i will list so you get an idea what kind of stuff we play..

Blur - Song 2
Creed - Higher
Weezer - Beverly Hills, Say It Ain't So
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

this was what i had shortlisted a few weeks ago.. but now i'm not so sure if i should follow through with these.. we've got a 15 min set so i want to have atleast 5 songs perfected..

I jammed with our singer a few days ago.. but he didn't prepare the stuff i had given him which didn't come as much of a surprise coz from the very beginning i got the impression that he wasn't as dedicated as I was.. the only reason i'm keeping him on is because he has done his share of singing in front of audiences and so has the experience.. we ended up jamming to wherever you will go by the calling, unwell by matchbox 20 and few other acoustic tunes that we both knew! I've got about a week off from college as our semester has just ended so gives us sometime to jam..

I would really appreciate if you guys would help me out with my setlist.. :)

I wouldn't mind playing something heavier but our vocalist seems have a problem covering anything that isn't clean vocally! so i'm in a bit of quandry :confused:

I think we should open with Wipe Out by The Surfaris/Ventures.. seeing as the judges are our college faculty only, it would be nice to start off with something that is recognizable to people of all age groups and it's definitely the right kind of upbeat song you'd want to start your set with.. :D

I was also hoping I'd manage to make a medley out of two songs to save a little on time and also show some creativity.. :P

I need some tips/songs that aren't much of a strain on the vocals and are also botb worthy! there are a few good bands competing and personally i think we can be categorized in the same, I just need to find out the best way for each of us individually to click and find our sound..

I'm sorry if I typed too much.. I just had a lot on my mind that I needed to get out.. :p:

krypticguitar87
01-23-2011, 02:14 AM
need help with a setlist(about 5 songs) for battle of the bands.....

etc. etc.

fifteen minutes isn't alot of time, so you should probably know that five songs would be a bad idea, every competition I've ever played at was pretty strict about time constraints, and would deduct points for running over the time limit.... I would say three songs, that gives you a chance to engage the audience a little.... wipe out is also amazing, it really gets to showcase the drums... then I would play the two songs the singer knows, and practice which ever song he is more likely going to want to sing from that list, my guess would be higher.... anyway practice it because then you can ask the crowd "you wanna hear another one?!?" then play the track. it's a little trick that makes people think you are absolutely amazing. :D

I guess all that advice is also assuming that you are being judged by performance... but also shave it down to three tracks because that extra six minutes could come in very helpful, you may have to do the sound check as part of those fifteen minutes and you may also play just a little too slow (trust me it happens, at one gig I had the drummer was a little too slow on one of our tracks it took four minutes and the song was only supposed to be three, now just imagine one song being that much longer, that could be alot of points, or worse if they have to turn off your power to get you to sto :( p) it basically gives you a cusion to engage the audience and also to make sure you stay with in the alotted time. if you were playing at a show and went over your time limit, the owner of the venue may not let you play again, and the other bands are not going to want to share a ticket with you, pretty much you get black listed for it. :cry:

voodoo.chile_89
01-23-2011, 04:10 PM
fifteen minutes isn't alot of time, so you should probably know that five songs would be a bad idea, every competition I've ever played at was pretty strict about time constraints......

thanks for the feedback :)
I was planning on doing just snippet of wipeout.. maybe about a minute and then try to blend in with another tune.. so hopefully after that i would have time for 2 more provided their not over 3 minutes each! but yeah i will consider what you said about the time thingy!

I've made a separate thread for this.. you can check it out if you like.. got quite a few interesting suggestions!

WyvernOmega
02-03-2011, 12:50 AM
First full legit gig setlist, anyone?

Supermassive black hole - Muse (Wembley intro ;) )
Song 2 - Blur (second song)
Island in the sun -Weezer (get chill after the solo)
Annie - James Blunt (calming, nice)
Feel good inc - The Gorillaz(get gradually more intense and cool)
Level - The Raconteurs(starts synthy again but it picks up with dat solo)
15 step - Radiohead (KICK ASS)
The Great Collapse - The Zolas(Picks up well after 15 step's cool ending)
Death by Diamonds and Pearls - Band of Skulls (After TGC's solo this'll be sick)
Run - Vampire Weekend (very sexy vocals)
Cant Stop - Red Hot Chili Peppers(Starts calm, ends spoken)
Misery - Maroon 5 (Starts spoken, well known, FUNKY AS HELL)
On melancholy hill - The Gorillaz (Calms them down a bit)
A Certain Romance - Arctic Monkeys (TAKES THEM ON A JOURNEY AND ROCKS THEIR FACES OFF AT THE END with that IV, iv, I)

Salefajter
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Hello,

setlist for a biker camp meeting:

Metallica - seek and destroy
Metallica - die die my darling
Metallica - fuel
Megadeth - symphony of destruction
Motorhead - ace of spades
Audioslave - original fire
Audioslave - your time has come
Rage against the machine - killing in the name
Iron maiden - be quick or be dead
Godsmack - cryin like a bitch
Pearl jam - go
Pearl jam - alive
Pearl jam - the fixer
Three days grace - animal I have become
Red hot chilli peppers - suck my kiss
Whitesnake - still of the night
Papa roach - between angles and insects

some other suggestions?

We need at least 5 other songs.

Thanks guys

itsnotGreenDay
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
My band has been offered a 90 minute set at a sporting event, and we need more songs to play (our longest set before now was 45 minutes). Here's a list of everything we can play just to give you an idea of our style:

I Got Mine-The Black Keys
10 AM Automatic-The Black Keys
I'm Losing You-The Temptations
Spanish Castle Magic-Jimi Hendrix
Bold As Love-Jimi Hendrix
You Enjoy Myself-Phish
China Cat Sunflower-Grateful Dead
Sunshine of Your Love-Cream
Tales of Brave Ulysses-Cream
What I Got-Sublime
Layla-Derek and the Dominoes
Helter Skelter-The Beatles
Come Together/Back In the USSR/Get Back-The Beatles
Run-original
I Saw Her Standing There-The Beatles
Shout-The Isley Brothers

Thanks again for all the help.

Mainer
08-14-2011, 09:56 PM
I use Alter Bridge's Live From Amsterdam dvd as kinda a template.

Start out with a moderately fast song
(Come To Life) but speed it up a bit.

Encore would be like a one of your biggest hits, a cover, then another big hit...thats if you play more than one song for an encore.
(Broken Wings, Traveling Riverside Blues, Rise Today)

In the middle almost go back and forth between fast heavy songs and slower songs.
(Open Your Eyes, Metalingus, Watch Over You, Ties That Bind)

And almost in the very middle of the set, thats when you play that 8 minute long epic.
(Blackbird)

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Stick songs you know well early in the first set. I believe in a hour set, one - two slow songs is appropriate. Likely fifteen songs in an hour set is appropriate. I Like to have eighteen so you can have some flexibility to take a pass for various reasons (song doesn't sound that good, Boot Scootin Boogie doesn't seem right played next to Iron Maiden). No more then 1 to a max of 2 for an hour set, 2 fast for every mid tempo or slow one you do. Strong well known openers, 2-3 of your showstoppers to finish each set.

In response to another thread about guys not showing for practice consistently, let the person know you will be seeking alternate bassist/drummer whatever to fill in when he can't be there. Gives them the message they're replaceable. Then place an ad on craigslist or wherever. Good response the last time I did that. If your town is so small that there are no other musicians and you don't want to travel either A.) Ask yourself why you're putting together a band in the first place, since there is likely very limited or no places to gigs, or B.) do like classic comedian Sam Kinison suggested to starving Ethiopians: move where the food is. Other alternative: Learn to play guitar and or keys, find 50-60 songs you can sing, and do a solo. Better money and no band headaches. Downside: not as much fun as a band, but still fun regardless. Still another: get a multitrack or computer and stick to recording.

Hope this helps.

TurboStang
09-19-2011, 09:40 AM
How do you guys like to lay out your set list?

We normally do three sets, and for the most part, have started each set with something upbeat, taper it down some in the middle, then put the foot back on the gas to finish the set. I'm thinking about maybe mixing it up where each set builds in momentum from start to finish. We've pulled most of the "couple's skate" songs off for this next show (unless we get a request for them).

The first group is tentatively the 40 songs (in no particular order), that we've chosen for our next gig. The "others" are songs we could pull from if it compliments a set.

How would you order the following songs in a three set format?

Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
I Alone - Live
Mother - Danzig
Far Behind – Candlebox
Hey Joe – Jimi Hendrix
Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
About A Girl – Nirvana
Black – Pearl Jam
Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young
Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam
Nutshell - Alice in Chains
Hurt So Good – John Mellencamp
Summer of 69 – Bryan Adams
Folsom Prison Blues – Johnny Cash
Can't You See - Marshall Tucker Band
Knocking on Heaven’s Door – Bob Dylan
Last Dance With Mary Jane – Tom Petty
Simple Man – Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cumbersome - Seven Mary Three
Young Lust - Pink Floyd
All Summer Long – Kid Rock
Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival
Jenny / 867-5309 – Tommy Tutone
The Joker – Steve Miller Band
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Feel Like Makin' Love – Bad Company
Fast As You - Dwight Yoakam
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
Shine - Collective Soul
Midnight Rider – Allman Brothers
Gin & Juice - Snoop / Gourds
(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles - The Proclaimers
Turn The Page – Metallica
Times Like These – Foo Fighters
Blue on Black - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
Long Haired Country Boy - Charlie Daniels Band

Other's (Songs we've done before, worked on, etc.)

Detroit Rock City - Kiss
Every Rose Has Its Thorn – Poison
People Are Strange - The Doors
My Best Friends Girl – The Cars
Last Kiss – Pearl Jam
Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
Wagon Wheel – Old Crow Medicine Show
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald – Gordon Lightfoot
Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffett
Word Up - Cameo
Higher - Creed
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Fight For You Right - Beastie Boys

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kidcasino
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Here's my 80s metal cover band setlist for a gig on New Years Eve. Any suggestions for re-ordering? Don't really care for Bark At The Moon for an opener but can't think of anything on the set that would be better. Ideally would have had Tesla's "Cumin 'atcha Live" but that's not ready yet and finding it impossible to organise practice over the festives. Ps I do realise that not all songs were made in the 80s!!

Ozzy - Bark At The Moon
Ratt - Round and Round
Motorhead - Killed By Death
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Danzig - Mother
Skid Row - 18 and Life
Van Halen - Panama
Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
Metallica - Seek and Destroy

---break

Accept - Balls to the Wall
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Poison - Talk Dirty to Me
Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Saxon - Wheels of Steel

--- Encore 1

AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie

--- Encore 2

Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It

Ultraussie
03-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Hello,

setlist for a biker camp meeting:

Metallica - seek and destroy
Metallica - die die my darling
Metallica - fuel
Megadeth - symphony of destruction
Motorhead - ace of spades
Audioslave - original fire
Audioslave - your time has come
Rage against the machine - killing in the name
Iron maiden - be quick or be dead
Godsmack - cryin like a bitch
Pearl jam - go
Pearl jam - alive
Pearl jam - the fixer
Three days grace - animal I have become
Red hot chilli peppers - suck my kiss
Whitesnake - still of the night
Papa roach - between angles and insects

some other suggestions?

We need at least 5 other songs.

Thanks guys

Your playing mostly kinda of your not so "heavy" metal and rock songs, so yeah, here are my suggestions, they're pretty easy simple songs in standard/ drop D tuning or whatever but you can muck around with em probally

Walk - Pantera (RE!! SPECT!!! WALK!!! ARE YOU TALKING TO ME!!!)
Either Jesus Saves or Criminally Insane or Raining Blood by Slayer
Metallica - Sad But True, Wherever I may Roam, Enter Sandman, Blackened etc..

If your preared to go lower tunings I'd recommend you some Slipknot or Five Finger Death Punch but yeah I doubt all the bikers are into that kind of music

tjpokomo
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
thats a lot of songs to play at one sitting. like 4 hrs worth

JimmyCraig
12-08-2012, 04:36 PM
*gets ready for the flames*
Seriously, I think set-lists are bad! They make you predictable, and they detract from the show. You should decide the song the moment the last song ends, get someone to lead you in. Feel the crowd...are they excited? Are they crazy? Are they kind of mellow or soft? choose a song accordingly or, if you want to mix it up, choose the direct opposite song, get the crowd to go crazy. They are an equal part of the gigs as you are, incorporate their moods. Crowds can smell when you play the same thing and the same set, say the same line between songs that you told the other night. Always keep it fresh.

RadioMuse
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Seriously, I think set-lists are bad! They make you predictable, and they detract from the show. You should decide the song the moment the last song ends, get someone to lead you in. Feel the crowd...are they excited? Are they crazy? Are they kind of mellow or soft? choose a song accordingly or, if you want to mix it up, choose the direct opposite song, get the crowd to go crazy. They are an equal part of the gigs as you are, incorporate their moods. Crowds can smell when you play the same thing and the same set, say the same line between songs that you told the other night. Always keep it fresh.

I'm opposed to rigid setlists and using the same list at many shows, but I'm still in favor of having a list hashed out so you know what songs you have to "choose from" tonight without much discussion or thought.

If you're trying to cater to a certain crowd and/or certain musicians limitations it's good to think about those before you take the stage. Consider how your vocalist is doing today. If they're feeling a bit sick or tore up your should probably avoid your most difficult songs and/or go for longer instrumental sections. If your drummer is running a fever (and it's not for more cowbell) then you might want to avoid blasting out a bunch of high-tempo numbers. If you're breaking in a new musician don't throw in things they're not comfortable with (in theory, based on practice).

Now if someone is really feeling a particular song and bursts right into it then by all means follow them. Possibly the #1 rule of the stage: just keep playing!

StageMasters
01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Very often bands create a set list which will be either too long, too short but mostly not well-balanced.
It is important to try different sets to see which one will work best and also to avoid boredom.
Of course, it all depends on the type of show you perform.
If your concert is in the same range as Madonna's, with dancers, choreographies etc…you will have a perfectly synchronized set which you will stick to.

If not, What you intend to do, is to be able to keep the interest and attention of your audience all the way throughout the concert!
The key is in the ingredients you will use in order to do so. You will need dynamics and climaxes, participation of the audience, surprises, humor, unforgettable moments and last but not least, a lot of emotional drive.
You are the cook here, and the more ingredients you'll put into your show, the more complex it will be; but the more sophisticated and high quality it will become as well!!

I always treat a set as a storyboard. It has to follow the same logic and use the same subtleties.
To achieve this, you will need all the ingredients, I mentioned above. Feel free to add some more, of course.
A great set has to be exciting and has to follow a certain rhythm.
If you structure your set following the needs of the audience, you will score each time. There is logic behind all of this of course.

When you are yourself in the audience, to discover an artist you do not know, what are your expectations?
First, you check how the band looks, if the singer has an interesting voice, if the musicians are good or not, etc.
Then you pay attention to their stage presence and how much energy they give out. You may not do all that consciously, but you do it nonetheless. After a check of all these things, you may direct your attention to the lyrics of the songs (if you can understand them) and only finally, you may really start enjoying the general picture. Of course, if the band gives it all within the first three songs and has no surprises left, you may quickly get bored to death!!

Plan your set imagining what will be the state of mind of your audience. Remember that they don't know you. Therefore, you need to convince them that you are awesome, in order to turn them into faithful fans.
Spread your surprises, your special features and your interactions with the audience in a way that will ensure no possibility for boredom.
Another important point to consider is that some guitar players need to swap guitars between songs.
Always think about that while building the sets, so they have the appropriate time to do it.

(Source: Stage Masters Live Volume 1)

StageMasters

CelestialGuitar
01-23-2013, 06:19 PM

I think that your setlists should become flexible when you get a bit bigger, and until then it should be a tight and rehearsed set. I once saw Blind Guardian change their set because it felt more right to play Mirror Mirror than Punishment Divine, and that was brilliant, and it'd be great to see your favourite band pull out a lesser known song on the spot, and they would probably make the decision process interesting to watch, whereas when your local unsigned band turns to each other, and says 'Which one shall we do', that's when people start leaving. Talking to the crowd should definitely change, I've seen a band say 'You've been amazing tonight!' in an open air concert at 10am when the sun was clearly out, however, you need to go in with an idea. In the end, people are paying money to see a production, and while you may not want to keep to a rigid set, there should at least be a skeleton that gives you an idea on how you'll structure it all. In a live concert, you should be controlling the audiences emotions and be taking them on a journey, not vice versa.

chronowarp
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Ya I sure love going to shows where the band has a pow wow between every song so they can pick which one they want to play, then they start yelling over each other since its so ****ing loud they cant hear each on stage.

I really hate smooth, meaningful transitions and sets that are built to rise or fall or evoke a certain response.

mrkinney
01-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi, I am in a cover band called Counterfeit 5 and we are playing our first full, paying gig in a month. We are a modern rock cover band with some 70s and 80s tunes mixed in. Here is the set list. What do you think?

First Set

Vertigo - U2
Lump - Presidents of USA
Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
Smokin in the Boys Room - Motley Crue
Rise Above This - Seether
Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
Good - Better Than Ezra
Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
I Wanna be Sedated - Ramones
Beverly Hills - Weezer
All the Small Things - Blink 182
Creep - Radiohead

Second Set

Joker and Thief - Wolfmother
Sugar We're Going Down - Fall Out Boy
Inside Out - Eve 6
American Idiot - Greenday
Boys of Summer - Ataris
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
Lit Up - Buckcherry
Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
Song 2 - Blur
Gotta Be Somebody - Nickleback
Tonight - Seether
1985 - Bowling for Soup
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Scars - Papa Roach
Whole Lotta Love/RnR - Led Zeppelin
Use Somebody - KOL
Hash Pipe - Weezer
My Sacrifice - Creed
Cryin Like a Bitch - Godsmack
Walk - Foo Fighters

and our rock and roll fun time set of the songs we have left

Third Set

Livin After Midnight - Judas Priest
Sex Type Thing - STP
Free Fallin - Tom Petty
Fight for Your Right - Beastie Boys
Runnin With the Devil
TNT - AC/CD
Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter
Closing Time - Semisonic

Punkbri1
03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Our setlist for Good Friday.
Set#1
Tick Tick Boom-The Hives
Hard To Handle-Black Crowes
All Summer Long-Kid Rock
Save A Horse-Big And Rich
Girlfriend-Matthew Sweet
Sex On Fire-Kings Of Leon
Hate To Say I Told You So-The Hives
Song#2-Blur
Are You Gonna Be My Girl-Jet
I Want You To Want Me-Cheap Trick
Are You Gonna Go My Way-Lenny Kravitz
Back Against The Wall-Cage The Elephant
What I Like About You-The Romantics
Fly-Sugar Ray
What I Got-Sublime
Animal-Neon Trees
Couldn't Stand The Weather-SRV
Alive-Pearl Jam

Set#2
Always On The Run-Lenny Kravitz
Miss You-Rolling Stones
Gold On The Ceiling-Black Keys
Groove Is In The Heart-DeeLight
Dance Dance-Fall Out Boy
The Middle-Jimmy Eat World
Mr.Brightside-Killers
Talk Dirty To Me-Poison
No Sleep Till Brooklyn-Beastie Boys
Hey Ya-Outkast
Bust A Move-Young MC
Humpty Dance-Digital Underground
Insane In The Membrane-Cypress Hill
Gin & Juice-Gourds
Brickhouse-Commodores

Set#3
Somebody Told Me-Killers
Melt With You-Modern English
Whiskey In The Jar-Thin Lizzy
Remedy-Black Crowes
Born In Chicago-Paul Butterfield
Ballad On John And Yoko-Beatles
Santeria-Sublime
Say It Ain't So-Weezer
Just What I Needed-Cars
Steppin Stone-Monkees
Don't You Forget About Me-Simple Minds
Uprising-Muse
American Idiot-Green Day
Astro Zombies-Misfits
This Could Be Love-Alkaline Trio
So Hott-Kid Rock
Bad Motorscooter-Montrose

Gman can
07-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Would you use the same song order on a mix-tape (I know they don't exist anymore) for your girlfriend/potential girlfriend? If so, it'll probably work. ;)

FrankDeets
11-14-2014, 05:27 PM
crowd interaction has a big part in the set list because you can prepare the mood of the next set of songs, introduce the players of the band, and tell a short story or refer to the album. So when your are equating the set list also have the crowd interaction set list.