Band trouble...

PDA

View Full Version : Band trouble...

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I got a band together, but I can never get all of us to get together and practice. I think our rythym guitarist doesnt even want to do it, which is really starting to piss me off, and our drummer has a job. It's pretty just me and the bassist writing all the songs. We also dont have a singer, which sucks. The bassist wants to sing, but he isnt good, he has too much of a high pitched voice. I think i might try to sing, but i dont know if i'm even that good. Any advice??

IzzySnakes
12-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Don't waste your musical genious on those stupid posers that are oblivious to your incredible greatness. No tell them to "Put up or shut up" and find someone that can sing your style of music

KManLink
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
if they arent commited, kick them out

Iluvpowerchords
Be more Flexible and open minded?

This isn't entirely about YOU, it is a group of people after all.

kbass9267
Hmmmmmmmm lets see,

A) Quit the band
B) Quit the band
C) find a new band

case closed.

Dreadnought
Moved to Bandleading

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:14 PM
No one else is commited. I dont want to quit because were all really good friends. Also, if i quit there would be no chance of me getting into another band because there is no one else around here. What should i do?

peteyjones
12-07-2005, 05:17 PM
why did u start a new thread?

just talk 2 ur friends about it dude, and if they dont wana listen 2 u then get a new band

thequickments
12-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Just give up and stick an icepick through your jugular

BreakingBnj
12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Lol, don't worry. There will be someone else. Just give it time, and go out and look for them, don't just let them come to you! :)

Talk to your other members first, tell them to shape up or slip out.

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:25 PM
ok thanks guys. I made another forum because they closed the other one for no reason.

tard on tour
12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
im having the same problem we have officially assembled the band (after months of trying to find a drummer) and i dont have contact with him but my bass player does and we need to work out a good day to practice. everytime i see bass player i say have you spoken to drummer and he says i saw him the other day but i forgot to ask :( so annoying

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
yeah, we've been trying to find a drummer and we finally found one. We were so happy and now no one is comitted and serious about it.

tard on tour
12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
shame we live on different sides of the atlantic

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
yeah i know.. lol

Dutch_Apples
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
You don't have a band, you have a few serious people and some hobbyist. Leave with the bass player and form another band with a quality singer. Be flat out honest with everyone about the situation.

Fender_Strat_50
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
ok thanks dude.

raph8r
12-07-2005, 09:56 PM
i wouldnt quit your band...stay in it till u find a new one, or just be in both, if they arent committed they shouldn't care that your in another band, if they do start to care then it motivates them and you got what you wanted...either way its a win/win...unless they kill you because you tried to leave them

ThrashDemon
12-07-2005, 11:17 PM
pretend to join a band and start talking about it while with your band and that might make it even worse or help you out

FFFDFEFRFKFFF
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
My band has the same exact problem. Our drummer and I are always trying to get a pratice together but it doesn't work out. I talked with him and we both said that we want to play so we agreed on a day. I'm off of work today so we were supposed to practice, but it sleeted so our other guitar player couldn't come and we had the best practice we've ever had. So don't get discouraged, just talk to them and tell them that you want to be more commited.

kwax
12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi, i was gonna make a thread about this myself but was abit fond about the idea.

Anyway, im facing a similar problem like you. . We are all good mates and when i bring up about how much they should pratice and how much time they should put into doing this band thing. They act as if im abit to serious about the whole thing(they rekon the band thing is suppose to be fun not something "hard"). I feel asif im the only one passionate about doing it. And the others are just init cause its a Cool factor .
"yeah im in a band" (stupid if you are in a band and you cant even play songs properly)

I pratice my parts on the guitar and when i show upto pratice. The drummer cant even do his part and the bass player cant do his part and i have other memebers whinging and whining and wasting their time on trying to figure out a name for the band when really they should put their effort into trying to learn songs etc.

It ****s me to death cause i feel that we are just wasting time and when i bring up these issues. I feel everyone is against me cause they think that because I have absolutely nothing to do(Which is true I dont have a gf,job and i dont study), that its easy for me to say what i say because I dont have other commitments. But im sitting here thinking, If they wanna do the band thing which they each individually wanted to do. Then they should do things properly.

Thats the end of my rant.

ps. So basically (sorry about the long post), I think that the problem we share is,
Not knowing how to say it to our mates without causeing some sort of weird vibe between each other and talking behind each others backs.

Remebol
12-08-2005, 12:57 AM
lol bull **** , i have a gf, and i hang out with my friends a lot, and i still find time in the day to practice. dont let them tell you juss cuase u have nothing to do means thats why ur motivated , becuase honstly a band is the entire group commitment. i mean if the ppl in ur band dont know there parts, and u litteraly have to show them evertyhing, then just find another band.

pentagram_man63
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Have a sit down with them, tell them seriously that if they want this to work they have to be commited.

geenday409
12-09-2005, 11:25 PM
ya, you dont really realize how easy it is to go guns n' roses on their asses and think you own the band till youve been in one. im a similar position tho. me and the other guitarist write the songs (mostly me) we have no singer, but thats ok, cus our drummer and bassist dont even play the songs right. either way, dont take it too seriously, and dont waste your really good songs on that band. if you think you have a really good song, save it for a later more serious band. if you have NO other offers or chances to get in a band, might as well stay in, itll at least be a good learning experience. just remember not to take it too seriously, then it gets stressful and not fun.

geenday409
12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
give em a big old lecture. i kinda did that a couple weeks ago. just make sure you dont blow up and yell at em, i was dangerously close to doing that. but its frusterating to be listening to these bands on cds and great local bands, knowing YOU could be there, but you just dont have the right people to work with. i feel your pain man. no point in quitting tho, itll be a more experience.

bassmaniac101
12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
heres a bit of advice, dont be in bands with your good friends. its makes everything harder when you are(kicking people out, quiting).

KENZI
12-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I think that the problem we share is,
Not knowing how to say it to our mates without causeing some sort of weird vibe between each other and talking behind each others backs.

just say it all out in the open one evening over drinks and snacks. don't start taking digs at each other just keep it clean and accept your faults so they accept theirs. talk it through and ask them where they want to be with the band and how they plan on getting there. Just make sure its all honest and fair like a business deal and don't try to screw each other over and they'll be no weirdness in the end.

cactus
12-16-2005, 04:49 AM
Dude I went throught some serious band **** last year, we had a great deal of problems, but in the end we disbanded (but I'm still in a band with my original drummer) but up to now we're still bestfriends, if no one is doing they're job well or if they are not committed enough tell them straight in their to shape up, if nothing happens, end it and form a new band with more competent people.

cactus
12-16-2005, 04:51 AM
Dude I went throught some serious band **** last year, we had a great deal of problems, but in the end we disbanded and formed our own bands (but I'm still in a band with my original drummer) but up to now we're still bestfriends, if no one is doing they're job well or if they are not committed enough tell them straight in their to shape up, if nothing happens, end it and form a new band with more competent people.

cactus
12-16-2005, 04:51 AM
**** sorry for the triple post (inculding this one).

apc--ibanez
12-16-2005, 06:25 AM
ive been having band trouble but have now found a new band. i play guitar but for this band they needed a bassist so they got me...we werent playing anything with a good bass line (just metallica mostly) and we only had learnt 1 song in about 3 months. now ive been invited to play guitar in another band and i know these guys are dedicated.

smitherson
12-18-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm trying to start a band. I play guitar, my friend up the street plays bass and all we need is a drummer(although we don't have a singer we don't really worry about it, although I can't really sing, nor do they want me to lol). We have a friend who's getting drums but we think he's gonna suck and won't be commited enough to get good. Besides me and the bass player would be practicing so much and we'd hardly be with him cause hes not in our neighborhood. Although a friend a year older than us may get drums and he lives literally up the street from me.