Playing bass with a pick

PDA

View Full Version : Playing bass with a pick

davebass86
12-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Just looking for a genral answer really as i tend to get alot of bass player snobbery when it comes to pick playing. Its all i use i can play just fine with my fingers but rarely do as i feel i lose alot of my tone but am forever being told am not a real bassist! i have been playing nearly four years and i keep gettin guys who have been playin for a month or summat tellin me am a fake!!

all views welcome!

Profound
12-10-2005, 03:48 PM
However you feel comfortable is how you should play bass....and if you feel like the song needs it just do it who cares....tell those newbies to piss off.

ToolBass_dude
12-10-2005, 03:49 PM
However you feel comfortable is how you should play bass....and if you feel like the song needs it just do it who cares....tell those newbies to piss off.
:cheers:

davebass86
12-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanx alot man nice ta see some open minded bassists you would be surprised at some of the guys in my college lol

ToolBass_dude
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanx alot man nice ta see some open minded bassists you would be surprised at some of the guys in my college lol

oh it's the same on many websites, and around where i live as well. don't worry :)

Profound
12-10-2005, 03:51 PM
:wavey:

davebass86
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
HELL YEAH we all know how much John Entwistle could rock!!

Molsons Golden
12-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Chris Squier (From Yes) always plays w/ a pick as far as I know.

@zzasin
12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Use whatever you feel like, man! It's a free world!!

davebass86
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
my bass teacher was a jazz player who was totally finger style so he tended to discourage me but the guys i love as bass players all loved the pick lol Rick Savage,Mark Hoppus,Nick Seymour,Paul Mc Cartney John Mc vie(he used his fingers but rocked with a pick get onto the go your own way bass line fookin great!)

Angelus Mortem
12-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I use both, fingers AND pick, it really depends on the song.. in hard rock/heavy metal, sometime you really want the attack that using a pick gives you, for other songs you want the flexibilty of using your fingers. There is no right or wrong here.

The music dictates what is best.

davebass86
12-10-2005, 04:07 PM
suppose so man but even in softer tunes i love the pick tone

Stealthbass
12-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Well if they have only played for months, then you should tell them that you are not a newbie like them, or just ignore them, you should play the way you want, it gives a different sound, and if you like it, then keep going

davebass86
12-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Rock On Stealth bass

Jerome Howard
12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
I play bass with my neighbor quite often, and he's really not that much of a prick.

davebass86
12-10-2005, 04:14 PM
??????? am not really getting that

@zzasin
12-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I play bass with my neighbor quite often, and he's really not that much of a prick.
Your worthy of the ROFL COPTER!!!

davebass86
12-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Yet again am lost

ToolBass_dude
12-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Fredrick - Soon to start playing the bass

:eek: you converting, or just taking it up as well as guitar? :)

Jerome Howard
12-10-2005, 05:15 PM
OH.......you said P-I-C-K.......!

uglybassplayer1
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
OH.......you said P-I-C-K.......!

WAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK HE MEANT??

"yeah, i play my bass with a prick..."

back on topic

don't take shi? from guys that say picks are for n00bs

i play with a pick,

ppl don't get the concept that there aren't RULES for playing bass.

how'd slap get invented,

certainly not from RULES

John Swift
12-11-2005, 08:27 AM
my bass teacher was a jazz player who was totally finger style so he tended to discourage me but the guys i love as bass players all loved the pick lol Rick Savage,Mark Hoppus,Nick Seymour,Paul Mc Cartney John Mc vie(he used his fingers but rocked with a pick get onto the go your own way bass line fookin great!)Saw Bill Wyman playing with his thumb the other night when performing with the Rhythm Kings, so really anything that suits will do.
Just thought I'd mention that in the 70s 'Rick Savage', 'Joe Elliott', & 'Pete Willis'(original guitarist) turned up at my house one rainy Sunday afternoon to ask me to build them some PA cabs. They have probably foregotten by now, I gave them a lift back into Sheffield as they had travelled out by bus, Rick Allen the drummer who was to join the band a short while later comes from Dronfield where I live.

davebass86
12-11-2005, 08:43 AM
thats soooo cool i love Def Leppard man. OMG that rocks lol

Jerome Howard
12-11-2005, 10:50 AM
iglybassplayer1,

That's Ok....it is a pretty hard one to "get".

bassmaniac101
12-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Anyone who calls you a fake doesnt know what there talking about. you dont have to play with your fingers to be a real bassist. if anyone ever says that then just say this, "if im not a real bass player because im usein a pick thn almost every guitaist is a fake too". stumps em every time.

davebass86
12-11-2005, 11:11 AM
ill keep that little quote handy man lol

Profound
12-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah! what about fingerpicking guitarists?

83lespaulstudio
12-11-2005, 06:27 PM
i use both :cool:

yEsTeRdAy`
12-11-2005, 08:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with using a pick. It doesn't mean you suck. Sometimes you need the extra speed you can get from a pick.

Anyone who says picks are for dumbasses, is a dumbass. :)

Profound
12-11-2005, 08:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with using a pick. It doesn't mean you suck. Sometimes you need the extra speed you can get from a pick.

Anyone who says picks are for dumbasses, is a dumbass. :)
what if you learn to use all your fingers isn't that like speed to the max lol....but since I'm still a noob i use a pick sometimes for when i have to go from one string to another really fast.

yEsTeRdAy`
12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
what if you learn to use all your fingers isn't that like speed to the max lol....but since I'm still a noob i use a pick sometimes for when i have to go from one string to another really fast.

Well yea, you're right. That's what some guys do. They use all 4 fingers on their right hand. Those guys can get some speed lol :p:

But for those of us who are to lazy to learn how to play with 4 fingers, picks are great! :peace:

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-11-2005, 08:40 PM
I play with a pick when I feel I need "that sound". Tell them that one day they will realize. Play with your pick, ask them to match that tone without one.

MetalUpTheAss
12-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Speaking of picks, what do you guys like the best?
My fav is the Dunlop Jazz III, #1 being the purple ones #2 being the black ones. My #3 pick is the Fender Extra Heavies. Those rule as well.

Youse guys?

uglybassplayer1
12-11-2005, 10:21 PM
1 mm fenders

Scourge441
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Lemmy Kilmister and Justin Chancellor both use picks. Neither are sucky bassists.

Don't let people tell you how to play your instrument. There is nothing wrong with picking your bass.

Incubus_SCIENCE
12-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Dunlop Tortex or those cool rubberish ones... I prefer 1 mm.

UtBDan
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I play with a pick when I feel I need "that sound". Tell them that one day they will realize. Play with your pick, ask them to match that tone without one.

it's not hard to do the micking motion with your fingertips. Still the basic picking skill, but if I had no pick and I wanted to go for the pick sound... I could do it is the point. It's not really hard. lol

newmodelno.15
12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
dunlop tortex (purple). i love those. but i use them for my guitar, i slap my bass lol

rustyburrito55
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I use the yellow or green Dunlop Tortex ones. I really only use my fingers for jazz.

SulphurousBill
12-13-2005, 02:26 PM
little stubby

SulphurousBill
12-13-2005, 02:28 PM
IMO every bassist should be able to use al techniques, picking, slaping, fingering and tapping with the purpose of versatility
fav pick for bass: little stubby

LedZeppelin4LiF
12-18-2005, 01:30 AM
ive always used a pick man, its just wut feels and sounds right to me, of course others wills play how they like, if u can jam out n e way u want no one should say ****, f them for saying n e thing at all

JoseftheBassman
12-18-2005, 07:35 AM
I think a pick should be a last resort for a bassist. If he/she has to play some insane Hemidemisemiquavers (64th notes for u americans) then its understandable but i just hate the things, fingers look a lot cooler!

John Swift
12-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I think a pick should be a last resort for a bassist. If he/she has to play some insane Hemidemisemiquavers (64th notes for u americans) then its understandable but i just hate the things, fingers look a lot cooler!
Musicians don't play to look cool, they play for the benefit of the music!
If a pick is suitable for a particular piece then use a pick, being blinkered will only delay your developement as a Bassist.

radio_schizo
12-18-2005, 10:37 AM
^ I agree:cheers:

I use a pick most of the time. I just like the attack you get from it and I just find it easier (probably as I'm a guitarist aswell)
But I use fingers alot for more funky/mellow stuff. So yeah both have their own advantages, so saying a pick should be a last resort for a bassist makes no sense at all :confused:

Monkey_Bassist
12-19-2005, 08:22 AM
I think I know what you mean JoseftheBassman, considering the electric bass and the electric guitar are actually DIFFERENT instruments means there is a degree of difference in the way they are played.

But that said you can play it how ever you want but in a classical manner finger-style and bass go more hand-in-hand as slapping/popping require the use of fingers and the bass is a rthym instrument and is suppose to contribute to the low-end and rthym section thus generally it shouldn't sound as if it is competing with the guitar (cough* Punk bands cough*), even though there are expections to this if it is used as a lead instrument (sorry to sound all formal). So in the end it is up to you but take into account what I have said as this is what people mean by "You're not a real bassist if you use a pick" etc

note: It is actually more logical that multiple finger picking is faster than picking in multi-string riffs (not shredding root notes or what ever). Just look at Steve Harris with his
galloping bass lines and adding riffs in-between them (you know what I mean :) ).

Crovox
12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
While we're on the subject...those of you who do use picks what kind do you use? Heavy, Medium, Light? I have medium picks and I just can't seem to play with them. As for the topic I play with both, but mostly fingers.

ToolBass_dude
12-19-2005, 05:13 PM
While we're on the subject...those of you who do use picks what kind do you use? Heavy, Medium, Light? I have medium picks and I just can't seem to play with them. As for the topic I play with both, but mostly fingers.

i use medium guitar picks. I guess they're something around 0.8-1.2, but can't be sure.

mountaindew88
12-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Yeah, I'm doing a lot of picking nowadays too. I've got the right alternating pattern and I think I'm getting it down pretty well. I use either the big, purple Dunlop Tortex triangle-picks or these really tiny, hard, green jazz picks from our local music store. They don't have a brand name on them.

I'm kind of the odd one when it comes to the bassists in my town. Most of them (if not all) hang the instrument at their knees and flail it with downstrokes from a pick. I hold mine at near-chest height (basically where it's at when I'm sitting) and pick it like a guitar (with proper alternating, etc.) or use my fingers when I need the tone. When it comes to speed, it doesn't really matter. With a pick, I can probably go faster on the same string.

slash6464
12-20-2005, 08:00 AM
dude, i have been playing for like 6 months, and my music teacher recons i've made good progress, like u i use my fingers lots, im a slingshot bass according to him.
but i also use picks, i belive that they giveme a better sort fo sound and i play faster with them aswell. so personally i play with picks more often than without 1.

so what ever way ur comfortable playing, just do it, roger waters used a pick always and he's a legend. although for sum techniques u migh tneed fingers, like slapping and such.

as for those 2 month old bass guiatrists, tell them to ^@#% off, seriously what idiots

Killibinizik
12-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Most of them (if not all) hang the instrument at their knees and flail it with downstrokes from a pick.

:haha :haha :haha :haha, really I need to see who these people are. Thank god the bass guitarists in my music community know how to play it like an instrument .

Well if I were just an average joe and saw bass guitarists play like this, I wouldn't really consider them "true" bass players either. I mean really from the sound of it these guys probably don't know **** about... well anything music related. Honestly I cry on the inside when I hear that some bass guitarists play like this. I appreciate "pick" bassits who actually put effort into their playing (beyond their downstrokes :rolleyes: ) as well as all bass playing types in general, but when I see these people who sling it ridicoulously low and do nothing but thrash on it to look "cool..." i mean there is a fine line between playing for show and actually playing.

Anyways, yeah I love rocking out on the pick (especially when my band does covers from Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix Exp., the Who, GN'R, Motely Crue, and a whole bunch of others that show you don't need bannana fingers to "truly" play bass guitar... sheesh. However I still prefer fingerstlye along with occasionally slapping/popping.

Bu||eT
12-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I play fingers cuz im quicker with em. But play what you like. Although it looks much cooler for a bassist to not play with a pick.

Kheldar57
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Using a pick on a bass is o. k. for some songs and certain kinds of riffs, but I started playing with my fingers before I ever tried using a pick and I find that fingers work better for me cause I can move them faster over the strings than I can with a pick

Kobrakai
01-03-2006, 06:27 AM
I use a pick. I much prefer it to using my fingers.

Applehead
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I thinkbass players should learn to use both, just like guitar players do. You simply cant rely on just one or you limit yourself. All the great bass players probably use picks if they need to, it doesnt make you a crap bassist.. even playing demisemiquavers can tire your hands unless they're in great shape, and if you are playing a gig, why put yourself through it when you can use a plectrum? of course, if tone requires you to play with fingers then you must... but dont let "looking cool" or your mates dictate.. let the music dictate.

try playing paralell universe by rhcp finger style, then try playing with a plectrum. now you see? :)

peace

kromatik
01-03-2006, 08:53 AM
??????? am not really getting that

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you? :p:

Anyway, I use whatever I feel the song needs

LedZepDudette
01-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I always preferred using my fingers when I played bass. I just didn't like feeling the pick 'click' against the strings. Meh that's just my opinion.

Final
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM

I'm from the USA and I know what hemidemisemiquavers are. We should bomb your ass for that remark. And only your ass. By the way, you spelled 'you' wrong.

I don't know if I've posted in this thread or not since I didn't look, but yeah, if you play with a pick.. good for you. It doesn't matter how you play. Learn to play as many different ways as you can, it can only help you.

Applehead
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm from the USA and I know what hemidemisemiquavers are. We should bomb your ass for that remark. And only your ass.

Dude, chill out. "64th note" is the American term for what the British call the "hemidemisemiquaver". Same thing, different side of the Atlantic.

It's comments like "We should bomb you...." that gives the US a bad name. Keep them to yourself and try replying with a little articulation.

SocKo?
01-04-2006, 03:40 AM
i actually started out with a pick cause my guitarist (wasnt my guitarist at the time) gave me a load of crap on how retarded i would look if i used my fingers.

im practically using my fingers to spite him now.

but nonetheless, i prefer fingers cause i can jump back and forth between strings better and the fingerpicking tone fits perfectly well in my style of music. also i like to slap alot so it just simplifies the situation.

having said that, i still use a pick a lot, probably 1/3 of the time. when im doing some higher tempo picking and it generall stays between 2 strings at most and i need the attack, i'll use a pick, and when im playing songs where the bassist of the band im covering uses a pick ill use a pick too to get the same sound.

Final
01-04-2006, 04:06 AM
It's comments like "We should bomb you...." that gives the US a bad name. Keep them to yourself and try replying with a little articulation.

It's replies like this that give everyone else bad names. Seriously kids, learn how to read into sarcasm over the internet. It really isn't that hard. I'm disappointed with you Sir.

Also, I wasn't aware that the British didn't say '64th notes'. And now I've learned something today.

SocKo?
01-04-2006, 04:30 AM
It's replies like this that give everyone else bad names. Seriously kids, learn how to read into sarcasm over the internet. It really isn't that hard. I'm disappointed with you Sir.

Also, I wasn't aware that the British didn't say '64th notes'. And now I've learned something today.
and for that reason why alot of ppl outside of the US dislike teh US, especially canadians for that reason.
and to explain myself, in general (not just you), many americans are undeducated in teh cultures of other nations, such as britain and canada, they take little interest in it and even ridicule it.

but let that be the end of this discussion. this thread is about using picks with basses, not international conflicts.

ok this actually has to do with the topic, and only 1 person here touched on it.
Flea uses both, he doesnt use just 1 eclusively, whatever the song requires he will use it (although mentioned in scar tissue, flea prefers fingers for the funkiness of it all).

Applehead
01-04-2006, 05:01 AM
i think a lot of people are put off using plectrums because they take a lot of practice to get good at using them quickly and effectively. there are different techniques (alternate and sweep) remember. If you ever see a proper guitarist play bass, they play wtih plectrums well, but i finds they play the bass like a melody instrument and not ryhthm.

I think ultimately, as stated, USE BOTH. Do not limit yourself in your development. Trust me, there will be a time when you will need or want to use a plectrum, - why wait until then to learn?

I found Muse's "A Thought for a Dying Atheist" a good tune to practice plectrum work on for bass. i'm sure Dan and those guys can suggest some more to get you going.. it's definitely worth it though mate!!!

John Swift
01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Please don't let this become personal, there is no right or wrong way to play regarding pick, fingers or thumb, Watch guitarist Lyndsey Buckinghan of Fleetwood Mac his technique defies logic and yet his result is awsome.
At the end of the day it is down to personal preference and not childish bigotry.

geeks_kick
01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Dicks!

Bass is all about different techniques to spice the sound up and different ways of playing.

They probably can't play with a pick because they lack coordination.

Will_Minus
01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I honestly don't have a preference. Like if I were playing with a pick, and I were to drop it, I could most likely still play the same thing with my fingers.

Out of curiousity, for those finger-pickers, how many fingers do you use (thumbs count, I guess)? I use my thumb, index and middle.

Final
01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
and for that reason why alot of ppl outside of the US dislike teh US, especially canadians for that reason.
and to explain myself, in general (not just you), many americans are undeducated in teh cultures of other nations, such as britain and canada, they take little interest in it and even ridicule it.

but let that be the end of this discussion. this thread is about using picks with basses, not international conflicts.

ok this actually has to do with the topic, and only 1 person here touched on it.
Flea uses both, he doesnt use just 1 eclusively, whatever the song requires he will use it (although mentioned in scar tissue, flea prefers fingers for the funkiness of it all).

That part in bold was also sarcasm.:p: I'm educated in other cultures actually. I'm really not like the typical ignorant american, just a sarcastic jester. I'll stop joking around now though, I don't want to really piss anyone off. But yeah, as I may or may not have said before, it's best to play both ways. I mostly use my fingers but sometimes I hurt one of them or cut a nail too short or whatev so I switch to pick for a bit. That's about the only time I use picks though.

^Oh, Will, I mainly use my thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers when playing. Sometimes I'll get my pinky in there but I still have a really tough time playing with it.

SocKo?
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
i use my mainly my index and middle. i'll use my thumb when im playing some stu hamm or alot of broken chord stuff, ill use my 3rd finger when im using a pick and wanna play an... over melody? ill use my pinky when i do some crazy stu hamm tapping stuff that i cant really do well at this point.

Dyne
01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
There is nothing wrong with picking your bass. Yes there is. No bassest should play with a pick outside of the studio. Unless they are not able enough to play with their fingers.

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Yes there is. No bassest should play with a pick outside of the studio. Unless they are not able enough to play with their fingers.

Yay I'm pissed off.

What is wrong with you?? Have you ever played with a pick before? Have you been able to replicate a pick sound with your fingers? I didn't think so. Playing with a pick gives the sound such great brightness. This bright sound can not be acheived by playing with your fingers. So, why do all bassists have to use their fingers?

I'm probably going to give up on you. You obviously just started playing, and one day you will realize the number of doors pickstyle playing opens up. I play both pick and fingers. I play with my fingers more, because thats just what I'm into. But when I need a really bright sound, I take up a pick. So I'm not biased.

BassSurfer
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
what about hoppus and dirnt hoppus sucks but dirnt uses a pick and hes great. a pick isent bad my God some people are like omg you use a pick?!?! omg.............. WHO GIVES A ****!!!!!!!!! let people use what the hell they wanna use and stop saying no bassist should ever use a pick or that ****.... let people make their own desicions. my God...

Double Basser
01-04-2006, 06:58 PM
I randomly change between them all when i feel like it, man i even do 4 finger running bass on my double bass and sometimes play it with a pick

*****bass
01-04-2006, 07:15 PM
hey man you play how you play and i think when you play with a pick it gives a diffrent sound that i prefer more...which actually im trien get use to how you play with a pick so i can get the sound i want.

John Swift
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Yes there is. No bassest should play with a pick outside of the studio. Unless they are not able enough to play with their fingers.I think that for the time being you should take up guitar, Bass is for the sensible people in bands.
In a few years come back to Bass and realise what a plonker you were at fifteen

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-04-2006, 07:33 PM
^Very well put. Dyne please leave.

BassSurfer
01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
yeah john i liked how you pharsed that.. nice

mountaindew88
01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Variety is the spice of bass. I play with a pick, one, two or three fingers, my thumb, slap, tons of different ways to get the appropriate sound. Who ****ing cares? It's my ****ing song!!!

uglybassplayer1
01-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes there is. No bassest should play with a pick outside of the studio. Unless they are not able enough to play with their fingers.

and why the ?ucking hell not??

you retarded loser, you cant even back up your statement with an explaination.

and why the hell only in the studio?!?! huh??!?!?!

yeah, so need that tone in the studio, but you dont need it anywhere else, well that just about sums it up, ive seen my share of stupids for today, im going to sleep. :o

Zaigonen
01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Ive been playing bass for 2 years now, so you might think of me as a bit of a noob, but i play mainly with my fingers as i preffer the deep tone and doing improvised filles, but playing with a pick doesnt make you any less of a bassist, or any worse, there are a million differant types of music, and there for a million differant ways to play a bass so in the end its whatever feels most comfortable for you.

Forcemaster
01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I play with a pick predominately I just feel it gives a sharper tone, which fits with the stuff I play. but for ballad/soft songs I use fingers because it gives a tone more appropiate. My 2 cents.

mong12345
01-05-2006, 01:05 PM
i used 2 play with walking fingers style then a pick now back to my fingers in about a year and a half u can play faster with fingers (if using 3 fingers or more) and can play as fast as a pick with 2 fingers with a bit of practise. if u use a pick u may find it hard to get used to using fingers but unless your playing fast stuff it really doesn't matter the "pick tone" sounds just the same as finger style playing really unless you have a very light tone anyways up 2 u...

oh yeah and i got loads of **** from bass players for using a pick aswell

FearRetribution
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm always being told it looks more professional to play with fingers, but I'd rather just play with a pick for certain songs. Other songs, for instance Pantera - Cemetary Gates, I prefer using my fingers, not sure why.

I use whatever's comfortbale for me.

TheDistrict
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm always being told it looks more professional to play with fingers, but I'd rather just play with a pick for certain songs. Other songs, for instance Pantera - Cemetary Gates, I prefer using my fingers, not sure why.

I use whatever's comfortbale for me.

Okay, we have already gone over this in the thread.

Play whatever is good for you. Dont listen to people who say otherwise.

FearRetribution
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Okay, we have already gone over this in the thread.

Play whatever is good for you. Dont listen to people who say otherwise.

As I said in my post, tis exactly what I do. And apologies, I only skimmed through the thread, didn't really read it, thought I'd just give my opinion on it.

Dyne
01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Yay I'm pissed off.

What is wrong with you?? Have you ever played with a pick before? Have you been able to replicate a pick sound with your fingers? I didn't think so. Playing with a pick gives the sound such great brightness. This bright sound can not be acheived by playing with your fingers. So, why do all bassists have to use their fingers?

I'm probably going to give up on you. You obviously just started playing, and one day you will realize the number of doors pickstyle playing opens up. I play both pick and fingers. I play with my fingers more, because thats just what I'm into. But when I need a really bright sound, I take up a pick. So I'm not biased. Hahaha, I'm sorry. I don't even play bass. I play guitar (an amazing player too I must add). I don't know how much my expalination will because I'm sure some will think I am just covering up but in anycase. That post wasn't really my own opinion. It was my friend who asked if I minded if he posted something under my username . I told him I didn't care, I figured he would just post soemthign stupid like "I'm gay" or something. He is a very biast person who hates all pick bassests, he doesn't even play anythign himself. Personalley I haven't really heard too much pick bass. My bassest uses mainly his fingers. He says he prefers the sound over a pick. He likes the earthier smoother sound he can get with his fingers plus he plays a lot pf slap. I only have really heard pick bass listening to GN'R and one of the HIM albums that they used mainly a pick.

Vesiot
01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
^ its bassIst

And I play with both my fingers and pick,whatever the song calls for.

matty666
01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
my bass teacher was a jazz player who was totally finger style so he tended to discourage me but the guys i love as bass players all loved the pick lol Rick Savage,Mark Hoppus,Nick Seymour,Paul Mc Cartney John Mc vie(he used his fingers but rocked with a pick get onto the go your own way bass line fookin great!)

mark hoppus?! the bloke from blink 182?! good god, hes an awful bassist!!

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
^But he gets the job done.

When will you people realize this???

BassSurfer
01-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Lmfao agreed 1000%! His best son gwas like carsouel heh.. which was like one of the first things iv'e learned and i learned the damn thing in like 5 seconds.

geeks_kick
01-05-2006, 05:22 PM
You're all ****es

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Just leave if you think that. Please, go back to your friends at MXtabs. PLEASE!!! Leave the bass forums alone.

EDIT:
Just to make sure none of you get mad at me, I was flaming the guy who was posting links to MXTabs and calling us gay. So, I got mad at him. Not any of you guys. This post and the one above me have nothing to do with this thread. SD, SpacedOut, feel free to delete either this post or any posts by geeks_kick

matthew man
01-05-2006, 05:33 PM
personaly i play with my fingers. I think it gives better tone.
Its not that i think playing with a pick makes u a bad bassist its just i really feel it gives better sound when usin fingers. Plus it looks cool when u can move ur fingers fast

BassSurfer
01-05-2006, 05:58 PM
This thread should be closed so much flaming etc. This is miserable and getting annoying. Whoever started this can you delete it?

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
^I was flaming the guy who was posting links to MXtabs earlier... not any of you... it's a heated debate :D

seekdestroy83
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
two words: REX BROWN

TheDistrict
01-05-2006, 10:14 PM

Ugh, these noobs are starting to get very annoying. Why do you judge bassists that you know nothing about? He's probably a thousand times better than you.

LLO>ZZLLZERSZSKATEZ iLL MNAKE SFUN UF MARK HOPPUZ BECAUZ TGHATS COOLZORZ LOLZ!

uglybassplayer1
01-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Hahaha, I'm sorry. I don't even play bass. I play guitar (an amazing player too I must add). I don't know how much my expalination will because I'm sure some will think I am just covering up but in anycase. That post wasn't really my own opinion. It was my friend who asked if I minded if he posted something under my username . I told him I didn't care, I figured he would just post soemthign stupid like "I'm gay" or something. He is a very biast person who hates all pick bassests, he doesn't even play anythign himself. Personalley I haven't really heard too much pick bass. My bassest uses mainly his fingers. He says he prefers the sound over a pick. He likes the earthier smoother sound he can get with his fingers plus he plays a lot pf slap. I only have really heard pick bass listening to GN'R and one of the HIM albums that they used mainly a pick.

you bull$hitter,

go away from the bass threads, you dont belong here.

wat was that crap about in the studio?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

now im really freakin pissed off.

83lespaulstudio
01-06-2006, 03:20 AM
two words: REX BROWN

great bass player. followed the wrong path...i.e. phillip anselmo= loser, junkie, worst mistake ever, ego driven, poser. imo. :cool:

edit: don't bash me, i live here.

analretentive
01-06-2006, 04:55 AM
everytime a bass is played with a pick, god slaughters a kitten

Double Basser
01-06-2006, 05:33 AM
^
Tip #273 For Newbs:

Don't disagree on your first day, it could be hazardousto your health.

Tip #274 For Newbs:

If you disagree on your first day, take it back.

Tip #275 For Newbs:

If your username sucks, Don't Log in.

Hope this has been helpful

analretentive
01-06-2006, 06:43 AM
^
Tip #273 For Newbs:

Tip #274 For Newbs:

Tip #275 For Newbs:

tip number one for senior members: Its a forum, relax

tip number two: don't give tips

BassSurfer
01-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Ugh, these noobs are starting to get very annoying. Why do you judge bassists that you know nothing about? He's probably a thousand times better than you.

LLO>ZZLLZERSZSKATEZ iLL MNAKE SFUN UF MARK HOPPUZ BECAUZ TGHATS COOLZORZ LOLZ!'

DISTRICT YOUR A NOOB WDF YOU TALKIN ABOUT???!?!?!?

UtBDan
01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Bass Surfer, you're more of a noob than the District is. Thus, shut up. I honestly expect you to move on from this forum, because from the way you have a habit of spelling WTF OMG and several other 3 letter anagrams wrong and getting angered extremely easily, you are a type of person that I know that goes from forum to forum bitching out little noobs, being made fun of, and enjoying pissing people of for no reason. And if you're not that kind of guy, stop acting like it.

it's almost like you don't realize people hate him for reasons other than fitting in with the hating him crowd.

the atmosphere of this forum is pathetic. Everyone needs to grow up and learn how to talk about something with friggen respect.
And people need to stop thinking that post count means anything.

matthew man
01-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Lets go crazy broadway style

TheDistrict
01-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Bass Surfer, you're more of a noob than the District is. Thus, shut up. I honestly expect you to move on from this forum, because from the way you have a habit of spelling WTF OMG and several other 3 letter anagrams wrong and getting angered extremely easily, you are a type of person that I know that goes from forum to forum bitching out little noobs, being made fun of, and enjoying pissing people of for no reason. And if you're not that kind of guy, stop acting like it.

it's almost like you don't realize people hate him for reasons other than fitting in with the hating him crowd.

the atmosphere of this forum is pathetic. Everyone needs to grow up and learn how to talk about something with friggen respect.
And people need to stop thinking that post count means anything.

And maybe you should stop thinking your a God in here?
It's Honestly getting annoying, you are no better then us (well...a select few)
Take a break man, go for a walk or something, you always seemed pissed off at something or another before the fact

UtBDan
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
And maybe you should stop thinking your a God in here?
It's Honestly getting annoying, you are no better then us (well...a select few)
Take a break man, go for a walk or something, you always seemed pissed off at something or another before the fact

I have not once said I was better than anyone in this forum, ever. Not once.

So fuck you for putting words in my mouth and blaming me for addressing a problem I didn't create and want to solve.

Not once have I ever said I was better than anyone on this forum. Ever.

John Swift
01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
everytime a bass is played with a pick, god slaughters a kittenDo I take it that you won't be on this forum for long then, goodbye!

BassSurfer
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
yeah district shut the **** up dan will ****ing eat you in bass you ****ing noob bass player.

TheDistrict
01-06-2006, 05:10 PM
I have not once said I was better than anyone in this forum, ever. Not once.

So fuck you for putting words in my mouth and blaming me for addressing a problem I didn't create and want to solve.

Not once have I ever said I was better than anyone on this forum. Ever.

Dude, chillax. It's an online bass forum :rolleyes:
I didn't say you said that, It's just the way you talk to people sometimes. It's like your lecturing them or something.

Just lighten up.

TheDistrict
01-06-2006, 05:13 PM
yeah district shut the **** up dan will ****ing eat you in bass you ****ing noob bass player.

That was a chuckle and a half :rolleyes:

Please, go back on your msn or whatever you do.
Your quite pethetic. How old are you? I'd say around 13 by the way you talk. And why are YOU calling ME a noob? It just doesn't make sence :confused:

I hope you know everybody hates you in this forum.

And again...please stop sucking up to Dan.

Sorry to double post but that comment really got on my nerves

UtBDan
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
You didn't say I said it, but you did say I thought it. It's all the same to me.

I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm answering questions and when someone is wrong, I point it out and if someone is jumpy, I tell them to calm down. This seems hypocritical a lot because I get very jumpy, particularly when someone says "stop thinking you're a god, you're not"; when I don't think that in the slightest. Particularly when someone thinks I believe what I believe "just to fit in" and "be cool", and then get mocked for "ripping one" after being told I was doing it to be cool and to fit in.

Please don't say something that's based on what you feel is how I talk. It's rather rude to assume something like that, let alone something so bodaciously out of place after I told someone who is unaware of how forums are run how they are run and "stood up" for you.

Light enough for you?

And you don't look down on people? And you don't get rude?

Don't be a hypocrit. We understand you like the band. 99% of the world thinks they suck. There's no reason to get your ninnies perked up because 99% of the world disagrees.

At all.

And again...please stop sucking up to Dan.

that, however, I agree with. I don't understand how people can go from so "I ****ING HATE YOU" to "I must agree with him on every single solitary post without a thought of my own" so fast.

But that's not my place to say.

TheDistrict
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
You didn't say I said it, but you did say I thought it. It's all the same to me.

I'm not lecturing anyone. I'm answering questions and when someone is wrong, I point it out and if someone is jumpy, I tell them to calm down. This seems hypocritical a lot because I get very jumpy, particularly when someone says "stop thinking you're a god, you're not"; when I don't think that in the slightest. Particularly when someone thinks I believe what I believe "just to fit in" and "be cool", and then get mocked for "ripping one" after being told I was doing it to be cool and to fit in.

Please don't say something that's based on what you feel is how I talk. It's rather rude to assume something like that, let alone something so bodaciously out of place after I told someone who is unaware of how forums are run how they are run and "stood up" for you.

Light enough for you?

And you don't look down on people? And you don't get rude?

Don't be a hypocrit. We understand you like the band. 99% of the world thinks they suck. There's no reason to get your ninnies perked up because 99% of the world disagrees.

At all.

Come on, you didn't have to put that part in, I could take posts of yours and call you a hypocrit as well.

And wasn't that intended to put me down?
Sounded like it

that, however, I agree with. I don't understand how people can go from so "I ****ING HATE YOU" to "I must agree with him on every single solitary post without a thought of my own" so fast.

But that's not my place to say.

Can we just have peace now or something?

Edit: Not to look like a loser, I put a comment in your quoute

BassSurfer
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
District Nvm about all this and Utb srry once again i wont act like a complete prick anymore district agreed? and district dans good at bass but not a " god " lmao anyways have a nice day guys

analretentive
01-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Do I take it that you won't be on this forum for long then, goodbye!
uhhhh, i missed osmething here? should i be watching for flames licking at my heels?

John Swift
01-07-2006, 06:00 AM
uhhhh, i missed osmething here? should i be watching for flames licking at my heels?Heel being the operative word, in the meantime do brush up on your keyboard skills!
:peace: :no: :peace: :no:

crazypeanutman
01-07-2006, 12:29 PM
pick users are fine, and it is a method of getting a punchier, more aggressive tone, but i feel every bassist should be just as familiar or better at fingerpicking than playing with a pick, because what happens when you have no pick? and for all the shred bassists who want to play really fast, develope a talent with the ring finger, you'll run circles around the competition.

p.s. how many times has here been a thread on this?

uglybassplayer1
01-07-2006, 06:36 PM

did someone leave a vacumn cleaner on, or did i just hear a loud SUCKING sound.

but still.

i have the utmost respect for Dan.

he is one of the few whose post are extremely helpful to this site.

analretentive
01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Heel being the operative word, in the meantime do brush up on your keyboard skills!
:peace: :no: :peace: :no:
What the phallus?

John Swift
01-08-2006, 05:10 AM
What the phallus?

[Quote]Originally Posted by Double Basser
^
Tip #275 For Newbs:

Hope this has been helpful[Quote]

As your username sugests you'r full of it!

streetbass7
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
i used to play with a pick but i recently threw the picks out because i realized in my case, i was losing tone with a pick and it seems like i can play better minus the pick

jesusgonewrong
01-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Don't comapre yourself. There are loads of Bassists that can own me at bass especially considering as I didnt have lessons. But I can play *not slap bass though* alot of stuff and tend to jsut go with the rhythem. So Ignore others judgements, and be happy with your ability but always seek to improve.

BassSurfer
01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Don't comapre yourself. There are loads of Bassists that can own me at bass especially considering as I didnt have lessons. But I can play *not slap bass though* alot of stuff and tend to jsut go with the rhythem. So Ignore others judgements, and be happy with your ability but always seek to improve.

i agree so much... its not even funny. that was an excellent statement.

streetbass7
01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
i just said i got better sound and like how i play minus a pick....

seekdestroy83
01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
try to imagine music, had there never been bassists who played w/ picks...

there would be a LOT less punk out there (not to say that I particularly enjoy punk, but it's a decent genre, where almost every bassist uses a pick)

egan3426
01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
try to imagine music, had there never been bassists who played w/ picks...

there would be a LOT less punk out there (not to say that I particularly enjoy punk, but it's a decent genre, where almost every bassist uses a pick)

that's true, and i'm not trying to burn anyone, but most punk bassists only play bass because either they weren't very good at guitar(Mike Dirnt) or just wanted to be in the band and just did whatever. I think Jerry Only(Misfits) had only owned a bass for two or three months before doing hi first recording. most punk music does just kinda use the bass as a stage prop/ reason for a friend to be in the band.
and don't flame me! it's true, i'm not trying to be a prick. i dont really care if you fingers or a pick. i think it does take a little more to play fingerstyle because you need to coordinate more but hey, even flea uses a pick sometimes.

83lespaulstudio
01-10-2006, 12:14 AM
as a musician, you should be good, at both. :cool:

Double Basser
01-10-2006, 05:05 AM
^definetly

The craziest Double Bassist i've ever seen (Shannon Birchall) uses a pick to get great sounds on bass guitar, and it's not like you can use a pick on double bass

rockindork6
01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I use a pick when I play with my band and fingers when I play jazz or an't find my picks (which happens a lot) it's all in the mood and comfort

BassSurfer
01-11-2006, 12:20 PM
wow, never new this thread would last omg.

uglybassplayer1
01-12-2006, 01:43 AM
tip number one for senior members: Its a forum, relax

tip number two: don't give tips

wow, that was a gay comeback. :o

2113C&C
01-12-2006, 04:47 AM
as a musician, you should be good, at both. :cool:

very true. you could be a devote fingerstyle player who can slap, pop, tap and do four finger plucking, but what about that day where you need alot of attack? what would you do? dig into the strings so hard it hurt. nah, you'd use a plectrum. and if you hadnt learnt to play with one, you'd be fooked.

me personally, i use both pick and fingers.

BassSurfer
01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
^
Tip #273 For Newbs:

Tip #274 For Newbs:

Tip #275 For Newbs:

No offense but that wast he most retarded thing iv'e ever seen. You were probably trying to be funny but it really wasen't.

Applehead
01-12-2006, 08:01 AM
This thread sucks - someone should delete it now. Was there any need for the above comment?

There is an old saying, if you dont have anything good to say, shut the fu*k up. This should be applied rigorously on this forum.

Nikki Sixx
01-12-2006, 09:45 AM
My friends always telling me stuff cuz I use a pick.They don't even play any instruments so i just ignore em'. I use my fingers mostly though

John Swift
01-12-2006, 11:44 AM
No offense but that wast he most retarded thing iv'e ever seen. You were probably trying to be funny but it really wasen't.I thought it very apt, I suspect analretentive is one of those dicks who just goes around on various forums annoying people.

BassSurfer
01-12-2006, 02:12 PM
This thread sucks - someone should delete it now. Was there any need for the above comment?

There is an old saying, if you dont have anything good to say, shut the fu*k up. This should be applied rigorously on this forum.

thread does suck but who gives a **** if there was any need for the comment? so ****ing annoying

sternobum
01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Pick style playing was a popular technique in the early days of bass guitar(50's and 60's). Many "first generation" players switched from guitar to bass and brought the pick with them. Joe Osborn and Carol Kaye, two studio musicians, are examples of former guitar players who continued to use a pick on the bass. The sharp attack of the pick brought new levels of clarity and definition to the notes they played. In the process, it also shattered the belief of producers and engineers, who were used to the upright bass, that the bass should be felt and not heard. This helped the bass guitar gain worldwide acceptance. Joe Osborn played on many of the Fifth Dimension's hits(i.e. "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In"). Carol Kaye played on a lot of the Beach Boys' tunes("Good Vibrations"). Search the net and you'll see that these two bassists played some great bass lines on a lot of famous tunes. A "great bass line" is a bass part that propels and builds the tune, has a unique quality that defines the tune ("Come Together" by The Beatles), and doesn't get in the way of the melody and vocals. One of the most famous "pick players" is Paul McCartney. He brought the bass to the foreground in popular music, and invented some of the most memorable bass lines along the way. Check out "Penny Lane", or "Day Tripper", or(especially) "Something" and then try to say that a bass player that uses a pick is a fake.

UtBDan
01-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Didn't Carole Kaye actually use her thumb as a plectrum but not actually use a pick?

sternobum
01-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Possibly. I always read that she used a pick. I just went by what I read, I've never seen her and any pictures I've ever seen, I can't really tell if she's holding a pick or using her thumb like a pick.

UtBDan
01-12-2006, 11:33 PM
I've only seen this documentary on the Beach Boys where they ask Carol to play now and then and she uses a thumb or has a pick attached to her thumb (what do they call those... thumb picks... lol).
Meh.

Monkey_Bassist
01-13-2006, 10:25 AM
"very true. you could be a devote fingerstyle player who can slap, pop, tap and do four finger plucking, but what about that day where you need alot of attack? what would you do? dig into the strings so hard it hurt. nah, you'd use a plectrum. and if you hadnt learnt to play with one, you'd be fooked."

Thats not true thats being lazy, just turn turn up your bass or change your EQ, god you sound like my friend, doing something lazy/un-bassist to avoid a challenge or even ...... dare I say.. improve.

sternobum, its a fairly big claim saying that former guitarist-bassists using picks brought bass into the spotlight, because if you go to wikipedia and look up bass guitar (I hate that term but hey) and read about how it was people like Jaco Pastorius who brought the bass out from behind the rest of the band.

"try to imagine music, had there never been bassists who played w/ picks...

there would be a LOT less punk out there (not to say that I particularly enjoy punk, but it's a decent genre, where almost every bassist uses a pick)" Whould that be such a bad thing???

Applehead
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Thats not true thats being lazy, just turn turn up your bass or change your EQ, god you sound like my friend, doing something lazy/un-bassist to avoid a challenge or even ...... dare I say.. improve.

Anyone who knows anything about the science of sound and in particular the ADSR envelope will know that this statement is simply not true. It's IMPOSSIBLE to replicate the sound of a plectrum with your fingers (unless you use your nails of course). You cannot change the attack of a sound with EQ. :no: EQ only serves to boost/attenuate frequencies in a given sound. It cannot change the attack. It can make it sound brighter perhaps, but thats about it.

2113C&C
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM
"very true. you could be a devote fingerstyle player who can slap, pop, tap and do four finger plucking, but what about that day where you need alot of attack? what would you do? dig into the strings so hard it hurt. nah, you'd use a plectrum. and if you hadnt learnt to play with one, you'd be fooked."

didnt i say that? well i'll say it again just in case

the plectrum sound CANNOT be emulated with EQ twiddling. you can make it very very trebly, but never will you get a plectrum sound. ever.

John Swift
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
"sternobum, its a fairly big claim saying that former guitarist-bassists using picks brought bass into the spotlight, because if you go to wikipedia and look up bass guitar (I hate that term but hey) and read about how it was people like Jaco Pastorius who brought the bass out from behind the rest of the band.
"try to imagine music, had there never been bassists who played w/ picks...
The first generation of Bass guitarists were for the most part ex stand up Bassists, (Carol Kaye really belongs to the second generation of Bassists).
the most common technique at that time being both finger and thumb, the latter explains why many early Bass guitars had a finger rest below the strings.
The major problem for Bassists in the 50s and early 60s wasn't the instruments or technique it was the amplification, or more to the point the speakers that were available, 15 watt 10s & 12s, and remember most of the venues were the same as todays bands play. Jim Marshall didn't make 2 x 4x12" stacks for the fun of it (25 watt speakers was the reason).
One way to create a bit more sound was to use a plectrum.
The Who's and Cream's bassists John Entwhistle and Jack Bruce were the two people who first brought Bass to the forefront in its own right, this was long before Jaco Pastorius, also worth a mention are Noel Redding (Hendrix) and Andy Fraser (Free).

Monkey_Bassist
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Ok sorry I caused a fuss there, but I read what you said as if you wanted to make more attack, as though you just needed to play harder or louder in which case you could just improve/change your attack or increase mids/treb to compansate.

John Swift, I guess that is another way of looking at it even though it was a different view to what I have seen.

sternobum
01-14-2006, 12:02 AM
John Swift, I guess that is another way of looking at it even though it was a different view to what I have seen.

What exactly is it that you have "seen" in your 18 long years? Jaco was dead before you were born. I'd listen to John Swift's opinions and"views" on things if I were you, you might get lucky and actually learn something. He has probably forgotten more on rock-n-roll and bass guitar than you'll ever know.

Monkey_Bassist
01-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah true, I was referring to what people have told me and what I have read not personal experience (der I wasn't around when the first electric basses where made and played, and neither were you), so I wasn't trying to be smart.

sternobum
01-14-2006, 10:20 PM
What were you trying to be then?? Just a space taker, talking about something you know little about?

BassSurfer
01-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Someone Please Destroy This Thread!!!

iya415.2365
01-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Wow I can't belive a there are so many replies for this. I'm a determined fingerstylist but
I use a pick when I use distortion cos' it sounds crap without it. I think all bassists sould be able to do both really.

John Swift
01-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Someone Please Destroy This Thread!!!Agreed, I think that this thread has run it's course.

iya415.2365
01-15-2006, 09:12 AM
I know who gives a **** as to whether someone uses a little bit of wedge shaped plastic or not? Why not just use whichever one when appropriate?

Monkey_Bassist
01-16-2006, 06:48 AM
sternobum, I was gonna let it be but your a stuck-up smart arse and should stop thinking your soo good. especially since I actually put my opinion/knowledge into the thread while you just abused me.

And yes I think the thread is about done now.

BassSurfer
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks for agreeing with me and i pmed the dude who started his thread, asking him to delete it.

Incubus_SCIENCE
01-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I have said it 1000000 times.

Do what ever the f.uck fits you best, and don't abuse someone because they "do it their own way" I play both ways, because I think they are both equally fun, and do completely opposite things.

Now, let the thread die. Asomodai, SpacedOut, you are wanted.

John Swift
01-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Let's close the thread and remember in future that the Bass forum is traditionaly a place of tolerance and respect for each others views.