Here's our problem...

PDA

View Full Version : Here's our problem...

apc--ibanez
12-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Everywhere we jam/practice the neighbors complain about noise and everything. We haven't found a place where we can jam with the noise as loud as we want and with people not being able to hear.
Any suggestions...or just say where you usually practice?

resi|ience
12-11-2005, 07:33 AM
you could always put carpet/old matresses on the walls, it will sound-proof it slightly, and make the bitching neighbours shut up :D

Master Shake
12-11-2005, 07:52 AM
I can't think of anything else other than dodgy soundproofing. I don't have a problem because im on 5 acres and don't have any neighbours but that doesn't really help you? Maybe just keep looking for places untill no one complains?

resi|ience
12-11-2005, 07:56 AM
ooooooo lucky you! we're not all that lucky unfortunately lol
yeh what Master Shake said, listen to him, he's an awesome superhero, he knows whats going down :D

Gr1m R34p3r
12-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Well, depending on how much money you guys have, you could rent a practice space. There's a place called House of Hits that my band practices at. It costs money, but we share the room with another band and split the cost. You can play as loud as you want and have 24 hour access 7 days a week. Well worth it.

ToolBass_dude
12-11-2005, 08:01 AM
when we wanted to jam (this is with old band) we had an agreement with the neighbours that we would stop at about 5:30-6ish. this way, everyone was out at work while we played, then when they came home, we'd stop and go over things like setlists, song ideas etc with less noise.

Or you could go find out if there are any studios near you with practice rooms. I've got a music place near me that has 13 rooms (i think) of varying sizes, with varying equipment/pa's. it'll cost you, but if you split it it shouldn't be too much.

Either that, or soundproof. save up or whatever, and get it done properly. if you are serious with the music thing then it will be worth the cash.

Freunleven
12-11-2005, 08:20 AM
We've got three practice locations: my garage, the bassist's garage, and the other guitarist's garage. I'm the only one with any neighbors within hearing distance (their garage is five feet from mine), but I'm also the only one who lives in town and is closest to fast food and pizza.

When we practice at my place, we do like others have already mentioned: wrap it up before my neighbor gets home. Now, this is a little different, since he works second shift, and is thus gone from 2pm till midnight. Even so, we wrap it up by 6:30pm, just in case anyone a few houses down decides to complain.

The other two guys live basically in the middle of nowhere. Good locations.

:satan:

deusexbass2150
12-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Well, depending on how much money you guys have, you could rent a practice space. There's a place called House of Hits that my band practices at. It costs money, but we share the room with another band and split the cost. You can play as loud as you want and have 24 hour access 7 days a week. Well worth it.

yeah rent a space, if you look around you'll soon find one wherever you live and i wouldnt spend too much money on soundproofing unless your realy serious with the band

jof1029
12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
i usually end up practicing in basements. since garages are open and more outside im willing to bet that the neighbors can hear you better there. so try indoors in a basement room that has no doors leading outside. if it is underground on all 4 sides (not a walk out basement) you can just put pillows or blankets over those little half window things by the ceiling. then practice more towards the middle of the day like people have said, finish by 6 or so when people are getting home.

the other option is to research your local noise laws. find out how late you are legally allowed to have your noise level high. then when your neighbors tell you to be quiet, you can just tell them you are legally entitled to play loud until X time and will then stop. then just ignore them.

Hardin
12-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Being in a basement works fine for my band, the concrete helps drown out the sound. But honestly, just get sound proofing! Once you install it, it'll be there for the rest of your life and you can play loud music down there and stuff. Do that.

SpIkE27Z
12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
we were playing in my friends garage till like 1 am and nobody cared lol

cactus
12-16-2005, 04:57 AM
The cheapest way to sound proof; empty egg cartons, trust me they work, stick them on the wall and its almost like cork. This is the tecnique used by this really cheap but good studio I used to practice in, just make sure it aint the plastic ones, it should be cartons

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Get an inexpensive electronic kit, and practice at volume levels where you can hold a conversation.

Practice without a drummer, and add him later.

What we are doing: Keep in mind we're all pretty experienced guys (20-35 years or so and lots of bands behind us), but do sets of standards and practice at a club who will let you do it, call it an open mic and post ads for other musicians to sit in. Not without it's obvious problems but it works.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:25 AM
***Closed due to 2005 bump***