Grand Funk Railroad

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Funk Railroad

TheHeartbreaker
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, I searched and didn't find any threads particularly about this band, so I figured, "Why not make a thread about 'em?".

So, tell me what you guys think. I feel like they're an under appreciated band. Critics never thought of them as being that great, yet they were a very successful hard rock band of the 70s. Usually none of their members are mentioned on any "greatest" lists, which I guess I can agree with, yet they're never mentioned in any band threads.

I got a live album of them at a few concerts (mainly in Chicago), along with another album or two. They're definetly a rowdy (sp?) band who can get you pumped. While "We're An American Band" is a great song, I think a lot of their other stuff is awesome too.

I'm not very good at starting threads, so I guess I can just respond to you guys's posts. What do you guys think of Grand Funk?

SomeEvilDude
12-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Not a huge fan to be honest. I have their 'Classic Masters' CD, which is a greatest hits compilation. A few songs that were pretty good, but nothing that absolutely grabbed me.

That being said though, 'Time Machine' is a damn good song. I suggest you all go listen to it.

TheHeartbreaker
12-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, Time Machine is great. It's one of my favorites by them.

hippiemusic101
12-11-2005, 05:13 PM
eh...

JimiSlashPage
12-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not really a huge fan of them.

Izz
12-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Well I'll check em out:D they're one of gn'rs influences.

misfits385
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
I've never heard of them.

Infinite-Reason
12-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Im starting to get into them. My favs right now are Got This Thing on the Move, People Let's Stop the War, and Footstompin Music

MetallichaoS
05-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Grand Funk Railroad is killer.

Fav. songs would be Mean Mistreater, I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home, Some Kind of Wonderful, Bad Time... Ahh just so many damn good songs they made.

TheHeartbreaker
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM
^^Yeah, I couldn't agree more. In that live album I have they're called up to do an encore, but it takes them like 10 minutes to find the person who took their wah pedal, lol.

ZoSoII_13
05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I love Grand Funk... Homer Simpson's favorite. Favorite songs for me are Im Your Captain and the cover of Feelin Alright.

TheHeartbreaker
05-17-2006, 08:21 PM
^^How many people have done that song?

Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
Traffic

I'm sure there's more. (Not as many covers of it as Yesterday, though. ;) )

kep189
05-17-2006, 10:35 PM
They are great, I really like Walk Like A Man, I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home, and who doesn't enjoy American Band.

jp141
05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Aren't they Homer Simpson's favourite band? :confused:

Just because of that I've always been meaning to look them up but never got round to it

thecool
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah! GFR is my second favourite band (next to zeppelin). Theyre just amazing, i love all their stuff , some top notch musicians making top notch music!

Hanzi_G
05-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah, they rule. I have their Greatest Hits CD, and it's pretty awesome.

I don't think they were underrated though. They're just a simple 70's pop rock group. To me they're a 70's version of the Arctic Monkeys (which isn't a bad thing). They just had a knack for making simple, effective music.

Myrdinn
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
They weren't great musicians or band but they were fun at the time. I still remember Mark Farner claiming to anyone that would interview them that he was going to be the best guitarist in the world. (It seems he was off the Mark on that one). A band that was better musically/technique wise that toured with them a lot, and managed by terry knight like GFR, was Bloodrock though they never had the success of GFR.