Keeping your strings in good shape

PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your strings in good shape

flesh fries
12-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Intro:
A lot of people, like myself, wonder why their guitar strings get dirtier quicker than other people. They wonder why their strings break faster, and they wonder where the blackening comes from. Well I did some experimenting and I believe I have found a way to help those of which these problems apply.

The problems:
First off, your fingers? You may wash your hands as much as possible and still see your strings get dirtier. This is just microscopic skin cells that eventually build up and become noticeable, also making your strings weak [do to a form of acid that your skin cells create]. This cannot be avoided, but there are methods of getting by this.

Another thing, believe it or not, is mildew. I took one of my guitars and left it in my room with the window open for a couple of nights, and another guitar in my closet with the door shut. In about 3-4 days, I noticed blackening of the G, B, and E strings on the guitar that had been out of my closet? but the guitar in the closet remained spotless of any type of blackening. This led me to believe that mildew is a definite cause of dirty strings.

The third and final problem I am going to discuss is carelessness. A lot of people don?t realize how important it is to clean their strings. If you want them to last longer?then cleaning must be done.

The solutions:
The first thing you should try doing is keeping your guitar in a mildew-free environment, preferably a room with windows that are always closed, or even in a closet, or guitar case. This will keep your strings fresh and ready to go.

The next thing you should try doing is a technique I?ve used for quite some time, and have gotten excellent results from doing so. Every so often, get some lemon oil and a rag, and using the rag, swipe some lemon oil over the top of all the strings. Do this once from the bridge do the nut and back again. Then, take the rag [with lemon oil on it] and go under each individual string back and forth from the bridge to the nut. This seems like a timely process, but takes no more than 5 minutes.

In conclusion:
Guitar strings are a major part of the guitar itself, they are necessary for your playing and you want them to sound as good as possible. Changing and breaking in strings is a pain, so this is probably a better alternative for keeping your strings on longer than you think. Clean strings are the best strings.

justinhawkins
12-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Changing and breaking in strings is a pain, so this is probably a better alternative for keeping your strings on longer than you think. Clean strings are the best strings.

domo oregato, mr. roboto

thats a really lame, stiff closing sentence. Consider reworking?

do to a form of acid that your skin cells create

DUE!!!

dimebag7
12-11-2005, 06:12 PM
uhh its okay

812many
12-11-2005, 06:18 PM
or you could just shell out 6 bucks and buy some new strings. stfu

peterella
12-11-2005, 06:46 PM
its really not that great

needs more info and needs to be explained better. how do you tell if there is mildew in your room?...

sillybuuger12
12-12-2005, 11:08 AM
nice idea about the mildew but it might not be very good for some of the less replacable parts of the guitar

Derigiberble
12-12-2005, 11:27 AM
this whole article could be replaced with this

http://www.rockhouse.co.kr/shopimages/090700001_c.jpg

klein82887
12-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Wow, flaming is gay, this article helps some people.

timi_hendrix
12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
or you could just shell out 6 bucks and buy some new strings. stfu

>.>

<.<

http://www.glweb.org/galleria/albums/userpics/normal_stfu.jpg

It's an okay article, needs more detail to really be of use, but beginners would probably find it quite helpful.

Guitarded8988
01-11-2006, 05:15 AM
my suggestion: buy ghs fast fret. This replaces lemon oil/rag technique with a stick you rub over the strings, then you just wipe away the dirt/blood/tears. And to whoever said "shell out another 6 bucks" I would have to replace strings once a week and some people more often with as much as they play. Dead strings sound awful and this fast fret stuff costs about the price of a new set of strings and triples the life of your strings. I still haven't replaced my stick after a year and I could probably buy some pedals with that money. Anyway quit being a prick and this was a nice article that was simple and direct.

Manzo
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Another thing, believe it or not, is mildew. I took one of my guitars and left it in my room with the window open for a couple of nights, and another guitar in my closet with the door shut. In about 3-4 days, I noticed blackening of the G, B, and E strings on the guitar that had been out of my closet… but the guitar in the closet remained spotless of any type of blackening. This led me to believe that mildew is a definite cause of dirty strings.

There's mould in my music room :(

mangablade
01-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Can you use lemon JUICE instead of lemon oil? (like not lemonade, but just lemon juice)

:)

callumirvine
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
i wouldnt if i were u, unless u want ur fretboard lookin like a dead waxed up donkey halfway through august..