Eric Johnson

PDA

View Full Version : Eric Johnson

animalfarm
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Thought he's deserve an own thread. Though not sure if he can be called a shredder, he's definately a great guitarist, especially his tone. I checked out the G3 dvd, tokio I think, with eric johnson and it took some time to get used to his play next to vai and satriani who were as usual great players and also great show-offs (no negative thing there, just a fact, they're good showmasters :) ). Johnson was a lot more introverted, a bit shy even.

my guitar wants to kill your mama and especially the blues jam, red house, at the end of the dvd finally got me over to really like him. His soloing is really very sophisticated, quite different to vai and satch, and to me he used the best phrasing of the three of them...

Well, any further thought on eric johnson?

lemenz70
12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey i watched that G3 video an hour ago. Johnson has it own style and this is why he is so good. Unfortunately he isn't well know because he is a shy guy... Anyway he can play and if he went to the G3, it's because he is one of the greatest guitarists.

shadowofbodom
12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah i agree his playing dynamics and phrasing are very unique. yep, thats all i got.

rollcifer
12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
well besides him acheiving best guitarist in the world 7 yrs in a row at one point in time. i dont think anything else need be said.

SickMetal
12-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Amazing guitarist. I saw him live once, actually, if you ever get the chance, see him.

Great tone, tasteful playing, and some killer technique. The chords he uses in some songs are pretty monstrous, even when it sounds like a laid-back simple tune. Great, great stuff.

JkHalen
12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
yeah i have that dvd, not in tokyo, tokyo is with John Petrucci. Anyways, Eric Johnson is very good guitarist. His style is pretty unique and impressive:)

Prophet of Page
12-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Eric is without doubt my favourite guitarist, his tone and phrasing are just beautiful, and his playing is sooo clean.

And sure he may not be quite as fast as some other guys, but show me another guitarist that does two note a string pentatonics that fast.

wil
12-14-2005, 07:45 AM
^ Zakk Wylde perhaps? Although its nowhere near as clean, i much prefer Johnson.

joshsirjoshules
12-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Man I just got his "Austin City Limits" DVD and there is a version of Jimi Hendrix's "Love Or Confusion" on there that totally kicks Jimi's ass! Anyway, he's a Texas boy, so we're all proud of him down here.

wil
12-14-2005, 08:51 AM
I doubt Johnson would agree that he kicks Jimi's ass, however good it is...The very fact that you talk about guitar in terms of kicking ass somehow makes me value your opinion less.

Erich yeung
12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
^ haha, these are the comments everyone always finds amusing. Anyways eric johnson is a big meh for me. SRV and manhattan are my favs by him, and i really only listen to him for "easy listenin"

Scorzerci
12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I love eric johnson! in fact i am currently listening to "battle we have won"! I really love hit tone and phrasing and some of his songs are really catchy. In fact when i was listening to Zap yesterday I felt a sudden urge to dance and i really don't like dancing. I ended up compromising by repeatedly bobbing my foot up and down. He has a really great voice and is also great on guitar AND piano! He is currently my favourite guitarist together with steve vai. If he ever comes anywhere in switzerland i'm going to go see him.

misfits385
12-14-2005, 06:05 PM
He's a fantastic guitar player.

Righteous
12-14-2005, 08:08 PM
*Look at my sig*

He is definatly one hell of a guitar player, and is not only a fast and incredibly clean, but he has diversity in hi music that keeps it exciting.

Archaon
12-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Oh man, Eric Johnson is freakin' amazing. He's the kind of guy you just wanna watch play on a starry night (I know that's a song by Satch :P ). Simply beautiful work, love his style.

bangoodcharlote
12-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Cliffs of Dover!!!!!

PooKoo
12-14-2005, 09:18 PM
:haha

I knew that was coming.

Manhattan/trademark > Cliffs of dover

Above all his acoustic work was the best.

animalfarm
12-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Seems to have excessive use of hybrid picking in his E guitar songs... Can anyone recommend me some other goodm songs? Acoustic or electric dont matter what...

Scorzerci
12-15-2005, 01:19 PM
manhattan and zap- great chordwork (if thats a real word)
Desert Rose and Battle we have won - ****ing amazing vocals!
i can't really recommend any of his songs with really great shred soloing because i have only heard a few of his songs which i have downloaded.

Guitarplaya27
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
great guitarist, love his violin sound he gets,
genius

love this guy

NevermorePsalm
07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
good guitarist...horrible live though.... He screwed up so bad...

waylay00
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
And sure he may not be quite as fast as some other guys, but show me another guitarist that does two note a string pentatonics that fast.

Shawn Lane does two note per string pentatonic runs that fast all the time. EJ was one of his main influences.

Oh wait, it's Prophet of Page. *expects some anti-Shawn Lane comment* :(

sock_demon
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I watched that video during my music lessons, I though he performed very well, i especially like the fact he used a bottleneck

MetalToTheEnd
07-02-2006, 09:32 PM
EJ is the shit. I was going through all my G3's a few days ago and I came across that one you talked about.

He's pretty boring live but his music is awesome.

SnowballofDoom
07-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Not a fan, to be honest.

I just can't seem to get into his playing..

pavan
07-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I love Eric Johnson.

Guitarplaya27
07-02-2006, 10:15 PM
i like Desert Rose

splice
07-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Not a fan, to be honest.

same here

Erc
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I have the inability to dig him.

Not my cup of tea. Good enough player though. Not much of a fan of his tone.

Prophet of Page
07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Shawn Lane does two note per string pentatonic runs that fast all the time. EJ was one of his main influences.

Oh wait, it's Prophet of Page. *expects some anti-Shawn Lane comment* :(

I never dissed Shawn, I just said he wasn't my cup of tea, and explained it thoroughly (maybe a little too thoroughly). And call me Tom dammit.

waylay00
07-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that it was protocol to adress someone on an internet forum by his or her real name...

Sorry, Tom

Resiliance
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Look at his sig.

:p:

waylay00
07-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Still though, it says "Feel free...". I don't take that as a command, but rather a choice.

Prophet of Page
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Still though, it says "Feel free...". I don't take that as a command, but rather a choice.

Yeah but if its somebody I'm going to have multiple discussions with, then I'd prefer you use my actual name.

waylay00
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
All right, I will from now on.

Freepower
07-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Shaw...

Nevermind.

I'll show you. Have you seen Total Electric Guitar? I have it on VHS.

Personally, i love the guys chords and approach to the subtleties of geetar.

waylay00
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Shaw...

Nevermind.

Ha Free, that's exactly what I was thinking when I was posting.

apocalypse13
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Not a fan, to be honest.

+1

I don't know why, he's just not appealed to me.

justlikealex
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Eric Johnson has obsessive compulsive hearing... or at least that's what it sounds like by his incredible tone.

TylerRRR
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
yeah all the rumors with him and his duracell batterys sounding better.. I personally think hes a great guitarist and musician.. although I dislike his voice quite a bit.

Scorzerci
07-06-2006, 05:10 AM
I love his voice:).

splice
07-06-2006, 05:12 AM
I love his voice:).

his voice is sexay :)

TylerRRR
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
haha, maybe it's because I mostly listen to blues with the growling howlin wolf type stuff but I saw him live at a blues festival in atlanta and his voice is just....to wimpy? idk.. for blues, but he is certainly one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

100Roy001
08-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Just got Bloom and his voice and tone are one of his best on that album! Ah Via Musicon is great too.

Wasp
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Awesome guitarist in my opinion. Great technique and phrasing, when I first heard him I thought about Gilmour but faster. Anyway, love his subtle playing.

xxdarrenxx
08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
i have a song up of him on my profile u might like. I really like the ambience of it and he has some cool key changes.

Faded Grey
08-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Eric Johnson is great, he has great technique, amazing tone, and is really unique sounding.

DaFjory
08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Best tone in the history of guitar. And one of the most soothing voices, too if I ever wanted a lullaby sung to me, I'd choose him to do it. :D

wil
08-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I find his tone a bit...bloated, too saturated if that makes sense. Give me Yngwie's Rising Force tone any day of the week. I also find his voice sursprisingly irritating.
I know how good he is and I love some of his chord voicings, but my overall impression after listening to his songs is, Whats the point??

nightraven
08-15-2008, 06:28 AM
one of my all-time favourites.

for those that haven't seen this, it's a step closer to replicating his tone.

http://guitargeek.com/rigs/img/e/ericjohnson_2001.gif

myearshurt
08-17-2008, 09:47 AM
does anyone know what he's playing at the start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miex7SQLHUk

Axegrinder#9
08-17-2008, 01:04 PM
haha, maybe it's because I mostly listen to blues with the growling howlin wolf type stuff but I saw him live at a blues festival in atlanta and his voice is just....to wimpy? idk.. for blues, but he is certainly one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

yep, his voice definitely lacks the raw intensity of old school blues musicians, but at the same time I think he's without a doubt one of the most tasteful and versatile musicians I've ever come across. I would rank him on the same level as Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, Carlos Santana, in terms of having a monster instantly recognizable guitar sound. And regardless of what your personal opinion about his tone maybe, just realize, making an essentially routine vintage strat sound like a 400lb violin is a non-trivial issue.

His phrasing, vibe and entire approach from his chordal ideas, to the embellishments that he colors his playing with, is just peerless. As a matter of fact, I find that his live playing outshines his studio stuff by miles, which is an observation I've made with most amazing musicians and musical acts. And true, he doesn't execute karate kicks while playing live, but at the same time, his reserved stage persona is quite different from say Petrucci's robot/machine closed stage persona. The phrase "understated elegance" comes to mind when I think of Eric Johnson's live stage act.

As a matter of fact, I found his debut album "Ah via Musicom" to be extremely boring and bland, with the exception of "Cliffs of Dover". A lot of people say that "Venus Isle" and "Bloom" are more commercial records, and EJ doesn't really flex his chops as much on them, but I personally think they're just charting a musician who is constantly evolving in terms of his musical ideas and sound.

ZylitoL
08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I also find Ah Via Musicom (not his debut though! =p His debut is called Tones) pretty bland aside from Cliffs of Dover, which is essentially what the album (and the hype) is riding on for the most part.

Venus Isle destroys, and I have Bloom but haven't listened to it yet.

Axegrinder#9
08-18-2008, 05:00 AM
I also find Ah Via Musicom (not his debut though! =p His debut is called Tones) pretty bland

my bad! thanks for the correction!

DaFjory
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Double-correction his debut is Seven Worlds, even though it was released sometime later. ;)

Axegrinder#9
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
well well, if we want to split hairs, his debut should be the first album with his jazz/rock group, the Electromagnets ;)

SeeEmilyPlay
08-18-2008, 11:36 AM
kewl.

DaFjory
08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Not really splitting hairs there as 'Eric Johnson', his debut was Seven Worlds. Whatever came before that doesn't fall under his solo stuff.

Now, Souvenir and Bloom are bland to the max. Why all the shameful ragging on Ah Via Musicom... :(

-ashleey.
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
hes amazingg

Zaphod_Beeblebr
08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I find his tone a bit...bloated, too saturated if that makes sense. Give me Yngwie's Rising Force tone any day of the week. I also find his voice sursprisingly irritating.
I know how good he is and I love some of his chord voicings, but my overall impression after listening to his songs is, Whats the point??

I know exactly what you mean; I'm not generally a fan of tone that's had effects thrown all over it but out of all the heavily effected tones I've heard his is definitely the one that annoys me least apart from Gilmour, who is obviously the God of Tone.

I also know what you mean about his songs; they do seem to go nowhere some of the time but he's definitely one of the best solo shred artists out there, his phrasing and chord use just blow me away every time.

ZylitoL
08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Double-correction his debut is Seven Worlds, even though it was released sometime later. ;)
Curses! I've been foiled.

I just don't like Musicom that much aside from Cliffs which is obviously amazing. He's just that much better on Venus Isle, I find. Super kick ass album, that one.

DaFjory
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm probably one of the only people who still like an effects-washed, delay-ridden and reverb-laden tone (though not digital mush like all the nu metal bands with solid states, i.e. Tremonti or Heafy).

Whenever I hear a dry, 'natural' tone like Gilbert's or practically anyone else's these days, I just cringe because of how dull it sounds. Put some bloody reverb and delay on that thing to drench it out!

EJ had it right with that violin tone (best of all on Austin City Limits). He should really go back to it. I wonder if there's a miracle pedal or amp that would give me his tone, without buying expensive Chandlers and vintage Marshalls...

ZylitoL
08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
EJ had it right with that violin tone (best of all on Austin City Limits). He should really go back to it. I wonder if there's a miracle pedal or amp that would give me his tone, without buying expensive Chandlers and vintage Marshalls...
One can always dream... =/

Bamlaflamme
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I really like him. He's got a great style and he's really into the music.

100Roy001
10-23-2008, 05:46 PM
He is amazing in doing covers. Check out this B.B. King tune, Rock me Baby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEcgQQxc_g

nightraven
10-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I wonder if there's a miracle pedal or amp that would give me his tone, without buying expensive Chandlers and vintage Marshalls...
you mean something like... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k6tF0s0lNs ?

DaFjory
10-25-2008, 07:38 PM
^ Perhaps, but it would've helped to have heard it with a shedload of delay and reverb like EJ has. Without those 2, there's simply no EJ tone.

Orbit91
10-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I guess I'm probably one of the only people who still like an effects-washed, delay-ridden and reverb-laden tone (though not digital mush like all the nu metal bands with solid states, i.e. Tremonti or Heafy).

Whenever I hear a dry, 'natural' tone like Gilbert's or practically anyone else's these days, I just cringe because of how dull it sounds. Put some bloody reverb and delay on that thing to drench it out!

The violin tone was probably due to his mastery of volume swells.
Another thing about getting the EJ tone, is the sheer esoteric value of some of us techniques.

Ugh, I'm starting to sound like a pretentious twat, maybe I should start going to the MT section.

nightraven
10-25-2008, 07:50 PM
eric johnson doesn't use volume swells as much as you'd think, his tone is just stacked with delay.

http://www.lovepedal.com/tchula.htm
proper sound clips with delay.

i'm doing a cover of 'east wes' for my music performance in about 10 days :)

DaFjory
11-14-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh1P0earDU

From 1:01 onwards, I could seriously listen to that tone forever. It's 'cloudy' - as if you're flying in the sky or something. If I had gear like that, I'd never change my tone or get bored of it - I love it that much. *sigh*

Zaphod_Beeblebr
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh1P0earDU

From 1:01 onwards, I could seriously listen to that tone forever. It's 'cloudy' - as if you're flying in the sky or something. If I had gear like that, I'd never change my tone or get bored of it - I love it that much. *sigh*

So damn true, just the right balance of everything...complete eargasm and possibly my favourite delay-soaked tone ever.

ZylitoL
12-25-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.ericjohnson.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2

A few American shows announced. If you live in California especially...look out.

Stearner
05-24-2009, 05:59 PM
yeah all the rumors with him and his duracell batterys sounding better.. I personally think hes a great guitarist and musician.. although I dislike his voice quite a bit.

I agree, I hate it when he sings. Although he is probably my fave guitar player of all time :)

nightraven
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
bump

the specific batteries and having them slightly drained does impact tone on his old flimsy fuzz faces. it loosens up the fuzz and allows the fuzz to 'bloom' with the sag.
and the tube-driver-on-the-plywood thing is totally real. i've tried with my own TD and for some reason having it off the ground does eliminate a considerable amount of noise ;)
but the rumour about him dropping his frets on the floor to find the right ones i will never understand...

but anyway - anyone know when the new album will be out?

xxdarrenxx
09-03-2009, 06:18 PM

That concert is amazing.

I watched it so many times, and trail of tears really stands out.

Telewanger
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Here is a video of my sound!

I am playing at low volume, not to be beaten to death with a frying pan. I think when I turn up the amps and get the tubes cooking it may sound pretty decent. I can back off the distortion pedals a little and let the amps overdrive some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw9D10RHbrY

Axegrinder#9
11-04-2009, 06:33 AM
the specific batteries and having them slightly drained does impact tone on his old flimsy fuzz faces. it loosens up the fuzz and allows the fuzz to 'bloom' with the sag.
and the tube-driver-on-the-plywood thing is totally real. i've tried with my own TD and for some reason having it off the ground does eliminate a considerable amount of noise ;)

this gentleman knows :cool:

but really, so much of tone is STILL in one's fingers y'know?

DaFjory
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
but really, so much of tone is STILL in one's fingers y'know?

Bullshit. Style is in the fingers, tone is in the gear.

FallsDownStairs
12-27-2009, 12:12 AM
well well, if we want to split hairs, his debut should be the first album with his jazz/rock group, the Electromagnets ;)

Correction, his debut album would be the very rare CD of the band Mariani that he was in when he was about 15-16. They actually became quite popular in Texas and then they split, he formed with the Electromagnets, they became bigger, etc etc.

What to say about Eric Johnson? Amazing guitarist with huge huge tone. I think he sets the standard for guitarist. I know everyone looks toward Steve Vai and all of those as being 'the go to' guitarist for everything. With Vai, I've never really dug him. Just his whole stage persona, and his music/tone. Never suited me. Satch I dig, but his stuff gets repetitive and I've found some of his solos just don't fit with the songs.

I actually dig his voice and stage presence. It's not all over the place and everything, mainly due to his perfectionistic nature. His '88 performance at ACL just blows my mind. His Hendrix covers are some of the best I've ever heard, especially 'Are You Experienced?'. Of course, his Cliffs of Dover intro stands out along with the solo (and he actually changed a lot of parts that beats the studio version).

Excited to see him on the Experience Hendrix tour with Satriani in March :).

DaFjory
12-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Any news of a solo album? His last 2 haven't been amazing. I'd love a straight-up return to the Ah Via Musicom/Venus Isle days.

FallsDownStairs
01-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Any news of a solo album? His last 2 haven't been amazing. I'd love a straight-up return to the Ah Via Musicom/Venus Isle days.

He's finishing up with the mixing. He said he'll hope to release it early 2010.

DaFjory
02-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Many years ago I once heard something disgraceful being said about EJ's playing on some forum I forget, and it's still stuck with me to this day - the guy said EJ "has no balls". :o

I'd love to find that post and see what he meant by that. It bugs me.

He's finishing up with the mixing. He said he'll hope to release it early 2010.

Awesome to hear. I hope it'll have oodles of delay and that 'violin tone' we all love. :D

Freepower
02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I think perhaps that person was blind to the balls it takes to not have to show everyone your balls every goddamn minute.

I'm lookng at you, Zakk Wylde. :no:

Alter-Bridge
02-04-2010, 02:04 AM
I think perhaps that person was blind to the balls it takes to not have to show everyone your balls every goddamn minute.

I'm lookng at you, Zakk Wylde. :no:
:haha:

If you've got it, flaunt it.

myearshurt
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
She's been delayed at the Gulf of Mexico :p:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/eric-johnson-talks-about-his-upcoming-album-233143

nightraven
04-12-2010, 08:40 AM
bump

http://a788.v269477.c26947.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/788/26947/v0001/cchannel.download.akamai.com/26947/ejohnson228.wma

great EJ clip

DaFjory
07-26-2010, 08:10 PM
God dammit, where's that damn new album?! :mad: I've got my cash all ready to spend on this baby.

KiaranSeanJay
07-27-2010, 01:09 PM
SRV is one of my favourites of his, especially his Live G3 in 1996 one, the solos are mainly improvised and he does some awesome right hand harmonics, check it out :)

DaFjory
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
FINALLY! The new album will be released in November/December. http://i53.tinypic.com/sgitjt.gif

Slicer666
10-22-2010, 04:33 PM
whoopididoo, did the elevators finally demand a new soundtrack? :p:

DaFjory
10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
^ Aww you just are horrible, man. :( ....... :D

Regardless, he still makes some of the best elevator 'muzak' ever. ;)

baf250
10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Just listened to the new album, it's great! I really liked Steve Miller's and Johnny Lang's voices, in it, especially "Texas". I think it's far superior to Bloom, but I really wish Eric sang more than the others, I really love his voice.

But it's a definite buy for any fans, support Eric! His releases are too few!

DaFjory
10-23-2010, 09:23 PM
^ You already heard it? :eek: Don't hoard! I don't want to wait until December!!!

Warrior47
10-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I never really liked his song writing, but I think he is one of the best combinations of technique, soloing ability, and tone that there is. He's one of the only people that I can see playing along with both shredders and blues or rock players.

myearshurt
10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Damn it, he said October!

Slicer666
10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
^ Aww you just are horrible, man. :( ....... :D

Regardless, he still makes some of the best elevator 'muzak' ever. ;)

Iknorite :p:

And to be fair, some of my favourite tunes are EJ songs :p:

EDIT: Look at his wikipedia picture :haha it's like, 'problem, officer?'

myearshurt
10-25-2010, 03:07 AM
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3576/469pxericjohnsoncropped.png

Oh and NGD

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8307/2410101458.jpg

baf250
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
^ You already heard it? :eek: Don't hoard! I don't want to wait until December!!!
I'm sorry but I can't, it's a press kit! If I give it out, I can kiss my relations with EMI goodbye :(

Trust me, it'll be worth the wait. Steve Miller, Johnny Lang, Jimmie Vaughan.. and it's got the perfect balance of instrumental/vocal tracks.

Has anyone seen him on tour? How is he?

myearshurt
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
To the top please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fdVwxOGAt0

Punk_Ninja
12-05-2010, 08:03 AM
This is the closest thing I can find to an EJ thread (I expected it to be much larger...).

But I'm planning on getting a haircut in a couple of days (sounds relevant... :p: ) anyway, the length of Eric Johnson's hair here:

http://www.iwelk.com/publicity/EricJohnson/Photos/Eric_Johnson_3.jpg

(it's a massive picture be warned).

Is the kinda length I'm after, does anyone have a decent picture of him with this sort of hair style, sort of front on/angled a bit?

Cos I've google image searched and there's no decent pictures of him with that length hair. :(

I know this is only semi relevant so I apologise :p:

I will however say that I've been listening to Merry Axesmas and Eric Johnson's "The First Nowell" has shown itself as the best track on there. I never took notice of it much the past two christmasses.

DaFjory
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
^ He's got a new album out next week, but all you're interested in is his hair. :p: :haha:

Slicer666
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I guess he'll just wait till the next time he rides an elevator... :p:

Punk_Ninja
12-05-2010, 05:22 PM
^ He's got a new album out next week, but all you're interested in is his hair. :p: :haha:

Well his hair will affect me much sooner than his new album. :p:

Once I find a decent picture of his hair (well I've found one that may work...) I'll start getting pumped for the new album. :p:

Punk_Ninja
12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Muchos apologies for the double post, but it seems Up Close was released on Spotify today, so I'm giving it a listen, really near to the end of it, and I have to say, I'm a bit dissapointed.

I was like "I'll listen to it then get someone to get it me as a christmas gift" or something, but I really don't think I'll be giving it that many listens. =/

There's just something about it which doesn't have the charm of Ah Via Musicom or Venus Isle. There are no songs which really capture me as Eric Johnson tracks.
Any time EJ sings on the album too the melodies and lyrics are predicatble and bland.

:(

Made my day pretty bad cos I've been on an Eric Johnson binge as of late.
I'll give it another listen to make sure I'm not just being stubborn, but first opinion isn't that great.

EDIT: Also I now realise my previous statement of "his hair will affect me sooner than his new album" is wrong now that I've heard it. :p:

DaFjory
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah... It's rather ho-hum. Bloom part 2, at best. I'll buy it when I have the cash.

Slicer666
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
so it doesn't live up to Venus?

DaFjory
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM
It doesn't even get Up Close to Venus. :p: ... :(

Even the Tones album is better (I've always loved it, just after Musicom and Venus).

Slicer666
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
*Buggers back off to Tri-Tone Fascination*

Punk_Ninja
12-09-2010, 02:21 AM
After a few more listens I can say it's pretty low on my purchase list, (well I still haven't bough Joe Satriani's album from a couple of months ago...I need some more cash), but it's definitely better than I thought first.

But still, nothin' on Ah Via Musicom or Venus Isle.

DaFjory
12-09-2010, 02:30 AM
After a few more listens I can say it's pretty low on my purchase list, (well I still haven't bough Joe Satriani's album from a couple of months ago...I need some more cash)

That's still the highest one on my purchase list, but these days I can't even spare six quid. :(

Punk_Ninja
12-09-2010, 07:35 AM
I know the feeling, it's been on the top of my list for a while too in terms of CDs.

I'm determind to get a job in the new year, but with being in Sixth Form still I doubt anyone'll be willing to hire someone who can do like...12 hours a week =/

Damn musician's needs. :(

myearshurt
12-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Eric Johnson Up Close - part 1 - Saucer Studios (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20rc6B11aC4)
Eric Johnson Up Close - part 2 - Songs From Up Close (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agNM6OuuBVw)
Eric Johnson Up Close - part 3 - Guitars, Amps and Effects (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDexrX04fA)

Batteries from Jamaica yall

Slicer666
12-10-2010, 08:23 PM
:haha

That's such a bad joke it made my eyes water :haha

ivo10
12-15-2010, 02:25 PM
The musiciansfriend video are awesome, cool to finally get a glimpse of his studio that he's mentioned so many times over the years.

I just stumbled on this interview earlier today - pretty cool, some good questions and Eric seems to really open up:

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/interviews/eric-johnson-interview-2/

DaFjory
12-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Soooooo... that cute li'l repeating melody in the All About You chorus (I think they're triplets, but my hearing might be so shot that it can't hear 16ths in there). Are they swept, or what?

myearshurt
12-25-2010, 12:56 AM
^ I think it's probably alternate picked and triplets

The intro in Gem is heavenly but I'm not sure the thick violin tone suits the song

DaFjory
12-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I think it's probably alternate picked and triplets

Sounds too smooth to be alt picked. The only way I can get close is by using pure legato (Satriani style, with the right hand muting the strings at the nut).

myearshurt
12-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah you're probably right, I didn't really think about the notes before. But then again, EJ's tone and the way he picks (the 'bounce' technique) makes everything sound smooth :p:

Prophet of Page
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
It doesn't even get Up Close to Venus. :p: ... :(

Even the Tones album is better (I've always loved it, just after Musicom and Venus).

I haven't heard Up Close yet, but I have ordered a copy. If I'm honest, I'm expecting to be underwhelmed.

Tones and Venus Isle are probably my joint favourite EJ albums, with Ah Via Musicom coming after that. It's probably just because I've heard AVM so much more than any other album.

Also, I don't doubt how smooth Eric can make a passage sound while picking every note. I'd say those passages in All About You are alternate picked.

100Roy001
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm currently trying to get that smooth Eric Johnson tone... here is a video of me playing 'Manhattan': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAT9NMZ99AQ What do you guys think of the tone?

Punk_Ninja
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
The tone's okay man, but there's something a little too 'dry' about it to nail Johnson perfectly.

I've been on a binge of Eric Johnson recently, only properly listened to Tones for the first time today, any other time I've listened it's been passively. I'm now in love with Trail of Tears.