Deep Purple

PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple

Pages : 1 [2] 3

get-born
03-31-2007, 01:52 PM
I'd have to say my favorite Purple jam is Lazy, but not the shortened radio version, the long, 10+ jam with Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice just dueling. God, that is a great song! Classic Purple right there.

CanCan
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
I'd have to say my favorite Purple jam is Lazy, but not the shortened radio version, the long, 10+ jam with Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice just dueling. God, that is a great song! Classic Purple right there.
I just close my eyes when listening to that. It's just class.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
^ Nice.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 02:19 PM
I just close my eyes when listening to that. It's just class.

It's amazing - I love the version from Made in Japan.

Even though that particular version of the song is eleven minutes long, it goes by so fast. :(

kshelt76
03-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I honestly hate Greatest Hits... I highly recommended buying (or downloading, if you're short on money) albums such as Machine Head or Deep Purple In Rock for studio albums (to start with at least), and Made in Japan as a good live album to start with.

I was going to recommend Machine and Made in as well, two amazing albums by DP. Heartbreaker, what is it that you have against Greatest albums? I mean, I can understand that too often, people judge a band by one or two hits(I hate this idea as well), but I also believe that sometimes, Greatest Hits albums are a great way to get someone interested in a band, and then they can go and listen to the deeper cuts if they have enough interest. I think it depends on the band whether Greatest Hits are really worth it. Bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and perhaps even Deep Purple have great Greatest Hits albums because their songs are easily able to stand alone. However, I also realize that bands like Pink Floyd make for horrible Greatest albums because a lot of their music is based on the album being a sum of its parts, and although the songs can stand alone, they're much better when packaged with the deep cuts that flesh them out more.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I think that my grudge came from people who only owned Greatest Hits, called themselves fans, and then were unable to hold conversations about a band.

I myself am also a completionist, so I attempt to own every album I can by a band and get to know all of their music.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
I think that my grudge came from people who only owned Greatest Hits, called themselves fans, and then were unable to hold conversations about a band.

I myself am also a completionist, so I attempt to own every album I can by a band and get to know all of their music.

My god I HATE when people say they're a fan and can't carry on a conversation. Just the other day I was riding the bus with my Grateful Dead t-shirt on. This 20-something starts talking to me about them and whatnot. I then reply back asking about an album and he just shrivels up and dies, methphorically speaking of course.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 03:45 PM

My god I HATE when people say they're a fan and can't carry on a conversation. Just the other day I was riding the bus with my Grateful Dead t-shirt on. This 20-something starts talking to me about them and whatnot. I then reply back asking about an album and he just shrivels up and dies, methaphorically speaking of course.

Master Shake
03-31-2007, 08:48 PM
^ My mums friend is worse than that. Seriously like everytime Whitesnake is mentioned she goes off 'I love Whitesnake' repetedly. Kinda strange for someone who I have found out
1. Doesnt own A CD weather it was a greatest hits or not
2. Couldnt even name one song.
I guess what she really means is that she loves David Coverdale for his looks no doubt.
But then I showed her California Jam and she thought otherwise hehe :p: (she thought he looked awful)

But me I only go by individual songs, im lucky to only like 3-maybe 4 songs on a CD (sometimes less) so I have no deal with 'Best ofs' however I usually find that they arent the most accurate of what I would say the best tracks are off a band meaning I certainly buy the CD. And while I can suggest download the track to see if you like it buy the CD if you do, MP3's suck. You can get In Rock for $10 here; not exactly gonna break the budget is it? Others are similar prices if you dont get the remastered versions.

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
^ Haha too many people are just like your mom's friend.

TheHeartbreaker
04-01-2007, 09:22 AM
But me I only go by individual songs, im lucky to only like 3-maybe 4 songs on a CD (sometimes less) so I have no deal with 'Best ofs' however I usually find that they arent the most accurate of what I would say the best tracks are off a band meaning I certainly buy the CD. And while I can suggest download the track to see if you like it buy the CD if you do, MP3's suck. You can get In Rock for $10 here; not exactly gonna break the budget is it? Others are similar prices if you dont get the remastered versions.

I'm basically the exact opposite of you: I must own an entire album. For some reason, I feel incomplete if I only own a few songs rather than all of them.

I've also stopped trading online (well, recieving - I'll be happy to send to people) unless what I recieve in return is a bootleg that would otherwise be unavailable on CD. Basically, I must have a hard copy of the music (and in 99% of the cases, I will not take a burned CD).

Thankfully, though, my father is a huge music fanatic, so I already have a large access to many albums.

Danne55
04-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I believe a Deep Purple Greatest Hits could give a good picture of how they sound. They've done lots of great songs but if you want to get into Deep Purple a Greatest Hits could be nice.

Sloopy
04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm basically the exact opposite of you: I must own an entire album. For some reason, I feel incomplete if I only own a few songs rather than all of them.

I've also stopped trading online (well, recieving - I'll be happy to send to people) unless what I recieve in return is a bootleg that would otherwise be unavailable on CD. Basically, I must have a hard copy of the music (and in 99% of the cases, I will not take a burned CD).

Thankfully, though, my father is a huge music fanatic, so I already have a large access to many albums.

Glad to see people like you are fueling the music industry. Please don't let CD's crash and burn like LP's did 15 years ago.

-=Led_Hed=-
04-01-2007, 08:18 PM
anybody have the live album Smoke on the Water??! listen to that one song where they sing Everyday (Buddy Holly cover) maaaan he drops the ball on that one, forgetting the lyrics n shiet, i love that song but the Purp let me down on that one :(

TheHeartbreaker
04-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Glad to see people like you are fueling the music industry. Please don't let CD's crash and burn like LP's did 15 years ago.

I actually like LPs better than CDs because they have more "realistic" sound as a result of the quality not being quite as good.

Master Shake
04-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I am a lover of the LP too although rarely listen to them. Its not so much that the quality isnt as good they are still good quality however they scratch easily and collect dust which will make it sound that way which I also happen to love. I also like the natural properties in them that make them sound more 'real' like tone, clarity, richness, fullness, phase, body, timbre dynamic range and all over they just have a warmer sound imo. Many audiophiles still swear by them so there not dead yet!

I get to record with tape next month, now that will be very cool :cool:

jac_murphy
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
There was a girl in my English course who did a really good presentation on how LPs are much better for sound than CDs or any other electronic form of music. I think I was one of the only ones in the class who empathized with her. :p:

-Jacques

sam i am
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I hace 24 carot gold! or something by DP. It's somekind of compilation of some studio tracks and some form made in japan.

I thought I'd mention it beacause....

A long time ago, when i was a fledgling guitarist, I learnt the legendary riff that every guitarist must learn. Incensed, I went immediatly to the nearest charity shop where to my delight I was greeted by a golden covered DP LP, and also a rainbow one I didn't buy. It was the beginning of a wonderful friendship....

TheHeartbreaker
04-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I get to record with tape next month, now that will be very cool :cool:

That's the only way I can ever record: my bassist owns an old tape player/record, and we have used that a few times.

The quality is actually somewhat decent, too.

devilscruffs14
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I am quite amazed that out of all the discussions of Steve Morse, no one has mentioned TED THE MECHANIC!!!! that is a real kickass song, the guitar work is amazing.

but out of the Blackmore era, my favorite songs are:

BURN

STORMBRINGER

SMOKE ON THE WATER

CHILD IN TIME

Danne55
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I hace 24 carot gold! or something by DP. It's somekind of compilation of some studio tracks and some form made in japan.
You probably mean "24 Carate Purple" with a cover of gold. I've got that too. It's nice but there are too few songs to get a real picture of Deep Purple.

sam i am
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah that's the one. It's a good CD, and it got me into them.

Master Shake
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
That's the only way I can ever record: my bassist owns an old tape player/record, and we have used that a few times.

The quality is actually somewhat decent, too.

I mean in a proper studio, its a beast!
Analog is so much better than digital :cool:
Im actually looking at getting an old tape deck myself to use as a guitar effect just like Ritchie (without the modded delay) But a new amp comes first..... :rolleyes:

TheHeartbreaker
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I need a new amp as well. :(

TheHeartbreaker
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
*BUMP*

Get this back to the first page. ;)

I just found my father's vinyl of Perfect Strangers. Oh sweet music...

Hidde
04-07-2007, 05:17 PM
It was Machinehead that got me into them. Great album. I love the organ solo on Highway Star. In fact I love Jon Lord in general.

TheHeartbreaker
04-07-2007, 05:21 PM
As much as I love the Highway Star solo, it's probably the perfectly written guitar solo that does it for me.

However, Jon's solo on Pictures of Home is awesome.

belavista man
04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I hate it when people put down Smoke On The Water, on the grounds that alot of beginners tend to learn it. Its a great song, well written and anyone who wants to learn it should respect that.

TheHeartbreaker
04-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree.

It's not my favorite song by Deep Purple, but I'll listen to it basically whenever I hear it. It is indeed well written, and the simplicity of the main riff is what makes is what it is.

belavista man
04-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Exactly

Thetabifier
04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Deep Purple is the best classic rock band next to the Stones.

Ritchie Blackmore in my honest opinion is the best classic rock guitarist.

I own all their albums. Not only do I love Deep Purple, I love the other bands connected to them such as Whitesnake, Rainbow, Sabbath and Ozzy

WHAT! what about angus/malcomn young? and acdc? also the beatles.

sam i am
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM

Calm down, it's only his opinion. But yeah Blackmore ftw.

TheHeartbreaker
04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Angus Young is overrated, and him and Malcolm are both good, but Blackmore ****ing owns them.

ECistheBest
04-08-2007, 05:17 PM

lol obviously he never heard ritchie blackmore play live.

Master Shake
04-08-2007, 07:23 PM

lol Obviously.....
Just goes to show that he would have to be one of the most underrated guitarists for his talent (outside this topic and the Rainbow one)

ECistheBest
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
lol Obviously.....
Just goes to show that he would have to be one of the most underrated guitarists for his talent (outside this topic and the Rainbow one)

haha yea seriously. i want to give more credit for blackmore.
hes probably better than many of those ppl on the rolling stones Greatest guitarists ranked higher than him. i.e. kurt cobain, angus young, BB king and yea list goes on...

TheHeartbreaker
04-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't know about B.B. King... in some areas, yes, but in others, no.

Then again, they're hard to compare.

sam i am
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Yeah, his improv is way better then any other CR guitarist except maybe hendrix. Made in japan (child in time and strange kind of woman to naem a couple) are mindblowing.

Master Shake
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
hes probably better than many of those ppl on the rolling stones Greatest guitarists ranked higher than him. i.e. kurt cobain, angus young, BB king and yea list goes on...

Well if I remember lists like those correctly its really is only a popularity contest. They show people what 'they' want to see from a marketing perspective. I mean from memory Kurt Cobain was 13? and Blackmore was something like 35. I mean people dont really need to necisarily like or know what he does that much but he is so evidently, obviously better then Cobain. 'Best of's' have always been about personal opinion, and I dont care for the RS's so I dont even bother reading lists like that anymore.

As for Blackmore, hes never got the credit he deserved. Maybe people will recognise him after he's dead like an artist, I dont know? :p:

Dæmönika
04-19-2007, 08:35 PM
I listened to April yesterday for the first time on YouTube, and I could only utter a weak "fuck me". Their greatest composition and an epic.

therussian
08-31-2007, 05:41 PM
I listened to April yesterday for the first time on YouTube, and I could only utter a weak "fuck me". Their greatest composition and an epic.
I agree.

Buuuuuuut, that was not the reason I resurrected this thread. The real reason, was to see if anyone knew where I could find a torrent of a sheet music book of Deep Purple? In particular, Child in Time.

Thanks

TheHeartbreaker
09-01-2007, 09:27 PM

April is a great piece; definitely something that would be assosciated, at least in my mind, with Ritchie Blackmore and Blackmore's Night rather than Deep Purple.

The song serves almost as a "foreshadowing" of what was to become of Ritchie.

2112Overture
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I went to their concert in Houston 2 weeks ago, it was unbelievably awesome, rockin out loud in a theater, it was just pure awesomeness....

sam i am
09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
April is a great piece; definitely something that would be assosciated, at least in my mind, with Ritchie Blackmore and Blackmore's Night rather than Deep Purple.

The song serves almost as a "foreshadowing" of what was to become of Ritchie.

I find blackmore's night laughable! Im know nothing about renaisance music or whatever it is, but it seems awfully cheesey to me.

Danne55
09-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I find blackmore's night laughable! Im know nothing about renaisance music or whatever it is, but it seems awfully cheesey to me.

I think you're quite wrong there. Blackmore's Night has some great tunes and compositions.

I also think it is great that a musician is able to play and compose other genres and styles and not being stuck in a single one, as most musicians are.

And if you "know nothing about renaisance music or whatever it is", maybe you shouldn't say anything? I can't see the point in saying things like "I know nothing about that but I have an opinion about it"

sam i am
09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, I'm only going on songs I could download from the blackmore's night website, but whether or not I know alot about the type of music it is I am still entitled to say whether it pleases my ears.

And some of the guitar playing/omposition is nice, but it's the singing that does it for me. Yeah she has a good voice but I find the lyrics cheesy and the melodies would fit in a girlband song too.

TheHeartbreaker
09-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I haven't actually listened to Blackmore's Night to extensively, but the majority of what I've heard doesn't compare to Ritchie's work with Deep Purple and Rainbow.

Of course, when you compare the styles of Deep Purple and Rainbow to Blackmore's Night it's comparing apples and oranges.

What my intent with the first paragraph I wrote was to say that I don't find it as enjoyable to listen to.

Danne55
09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
You have the right to say anything you ever like to say. End of discussion. Peace.

Comparing DP and Rainbow to BN is like comparing apples to oranges? Yes, at first you are absolutely right there. However, if you look deeper, Blackmore had plenty of renaisance music involved in his work with DP and Rainbow. Many things are built around such tunes, just that some distortion is added.

Thank you. Have a nice evening. I'll be back :p:

sam i am
09-07-2007, 02:07 PM
^ I like his classical influence in songs. I he was yngwie's main inspiration (I don't like him though). Jon Lord was also into classical stuff, for example of this, listen to Burn. Probably my favourite DP songs even though I can never make up my mind.

Apparently before they became a big heavy rock band (before "in rock") they were a kind of prog band doing work with orchestras.... I'd like to get my hands on some of that stuff.

deepestpurple
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah they did do some work with orchestras but blackmore and gillian were not happy being labelled a band that plays with orchestras.

Master Shake
09-08-2007, 12:32 AM
You have the right to say anything you ever like to say. End of discussion. Peace.

Comparing DP and Rainbow to BN is like comparing apples to oranges? Yes, at first you are absolutely right there. However, if you look deeper, Blackmore had plenty of renaisance music involved in his work with DP and Rainbow. Many things are built around such tunes, just that some distortion is added.

Thank you. Have a nice evening. I'll be back :p:

Good on ya Danne :p:
Blackmore has liked Rennasance style music since the mid 1970's and combined medieval themes with rock, particulary in Dio era Rainbow and even SOTW. After that it was more classically influenced then went back to Ren with his partner. Some of the lyrics are cheesy and Candice can sound pretty dire a lot of the time but this doenst make Blackmore any less of a musician. A lot of pieces are pretty complex and he is doing what 'he wants' so good on him!

With all this in mind I feel as if he did sell out last year.
10 years is long enough, something different please!

sam i am
09-08-2007, 07:16 AM
^^^ well said

JimmyStradlin33
09-09-2007, 06:12 AM
I know this is slightly random, and off topic but what would you say is Blackmore's best solo? At the moment cliche as it is, i absolutely love smoke on the water, this bit where he goes up the strings as theres a drum roll and finishes on a bend of the high e string is just pure brilliance.

sam i am
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Smoke on The Water is great solo. It sounds so cool.... I wouldn't say it's much of cliche, as people usually remeber it for the riff rather then the solo.

Gotta love the child in time jam though.

therussian
09-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Indeed. Especially that one part towards the end when Lord and Blackmore harmonise together. So awesome.

JimmyStradlin33
09-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Smoke on The Water is great solo. It sounds so cool.... I wouldn't say it's much of cliche, as people usually remeber it for the riff rather then the solo.

Gotta love the child in time jam though.
Yeh i know it's not really a cliche i didn't really mean that i just didn't want to sound like some guy who'd only heard smoke on the water and wanted to go on about it basically.

Master Shake
09-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I think Gates of Babylon is pretty epic. Or Catch the Rainbow live had some real nice solos like Live in Munich 77 or On Stage

Danne55
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
What about the solo in When a Blind Man Cries. Soo smooth and soft and sensitive. I like that! And not excessively long either.

sam i am
09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
^^^ i totally agree. one is slightly spoilt for choice when choosing blackmore solos!

TheHeartbreaker
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
I know this is slightly random, and off topic but what would you say is Blackmore's best solo? At the moment cliche as it is, i absolutely love smoke on the water, this bit where he goes up the strings as theres a drum roll and finishes on a bend of the high e string is just pure brilliance.

It might be cliche, but the Highway Star solo has always stood out for me. There's not really any room to complain about it, though, because it is one of the most well-phrased solos I have ever heard.

ECistheBest
09-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Child in Time from Made in Japan for me. all the other songs he was just messing around in that album. but that album has to be their best. i love it.

highway star is okay too.

Sun-burst
09-12-2007, 05:15 AM
deep purple is awesome. i love highway star..such a good song :D
i really started getting into them not long ago when my teacher really started pushing this ritchie blackmore style of playing into my learning (he loves him)

TSRTS
09-12-2007, 09:23 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/keyun/BlackmoreExplotion.jpg

my favorite pic! ritchie blackmore guitar surfing w/ an exploding amp behind him! :eek:

Master Shake
09-12-2007, 09:29 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/keyun/BlackmoreExplotion.jpg

my favorite pic! ritchie blackmore guitar surfing w/ an exploding amp behind him! :eek:

The ultimate exit from a musical war :D

Danne55
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
The picture is from California Jam in 1974, right? Just want to double-check so that amps aren't always exploding when Blackmore's playing. Or maybe they are...!

TheHeartbreaker
09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
I wish I had the money for my amps to explode. :sad:

Master Shake
09-15-2007, 01:22 AM
The picture is from California Jam in 1974, right? Just want to double-check so that amps aren't always exploding when Blackmore's playing. Or maybe they are...!

Its from Cali Jam ;)
And the Majors did blow a lot however not really bursting in to a small explosion. I think they ocasionally did catch fire though.

Sun-burst
09-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Deep Purple fans join my group Deep Purple (link in sig)

ECistheBest
09-19-2007, 04:43 AM
^or if ur a fan of ritchie or just strats itself, join the stratocaster lovers group too. :D

sam i am
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Has anyone got a link to the songs with orchestras? I am intugued.

Danne55
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0MPshQSfe8

Just search at YouTube for "Deep Purple orchestra"

sam i am
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Awesome thanks

Sun-burst
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
^^ wow that was simply amazing

Danne55
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
If you want the album it's called "Concerto for Group and Orchestra"

Dan Weiler
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
They have some great music.

Sun-burst
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
anyone know exactly what gear ritchie blackmore used in the deep purple era??

Twist of fate
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
They have some great music.
...I have to agree

sheumack111
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
anyone know exactly what gear ritchie blackmore used in the deep purple era??

Fender Strats w scalloped necks, special custom built marshall stacks made for blackmore by Jim Marshall personally that were 200 watt, a tape echo, which was also used as a pre-amp.... Wah pedal at times and sometimes slides and phasers...

sheumack111
09-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Amen... Blackmore is my biggest influece, no-one can touch him in my opinion.... I rank him as high as Hendrix for improv.

Sun-burst
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Fender Strats w scalloped necks, special custom built marshall stacks made for blackmore by Jim Marshall personally that were 200 watt, a tape echo, which was also used as a pre-amp.... Wah pedal at times and sometimes slides and phasers...

sorry i should of clarified myself. i was asking for specific details on gear. so far i know:
Fender Strats, Marshall Majors, Treble Booster (of some sort?), Wah (vox or crybaby?), tape echo possibly a phaser. Need more details.. :confused:

Master Shake
09-27-2007, 06:23 PM
sorry i should of clarified myself. i was asking for specific details on gear. so far i know:
Fender Strats, Marshall Majors, Treble Booster (of some sort?), Wah (vox or crybaby?), tape echo possibly a phaser. Need more details.. :confused:
In Purple he basically used stock strats (well before the reunion) he also used a Gibson prior to that (up to and incuding some of Machine Head) He used Hornby Skewes treble boosters, BSM make good repicas (at a price) these are the HS or HS-C models (he also has other models)
An Aiwa tape deck (modded for delay) wasnt used all the time but he still uses it to this day (well you can see its off in some live shows). This also causes compression as tape does. He possibly was running a small combo amp prior to the Marshalls as he does these days. Majors were very clean power amps. (these days he uses a 50W ENGL Soverign Combo, in Rainbow 95+ the Savage was most probably the power amp)
Piccato RB 77 strings
After he left Purple it gets a little more complicated than that (eg. different pups, MTC and a lot of stuff no one will probably ever know) but I think right up to (even including early BN) he was impoving his sound.

Sun-burst
09-29-2007, 06:39 AM
^ thanks very detailed indeed :)

Master Shake
09-30-2007, 05:37 AM
^ NP :)

Also some pics from todays gear

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/MasterShake75/wiring1.jpg
His guitar guts (middle pup is a dummy)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/MasterShake75/rbengl2.jpg
The soverign settings

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/MasterShake75/amp_400.jpg

ECistheBest
09-30-2007, 05:39 AM
^what's the black box? some kind of active preamp?

Sun-burst
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
A thread on Blackmore's gear has been started in the Deep Purple Group. Join if you havent yet :cheers:

Master Shake
10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
^what's the black box? some kind of active preamp?

Its called a Master Tone Circuit (MTC) and has two parts to the circuit.
1. basically gives a 'smooth metal in your face sound ' really great at loud volumes and
2. boosts the signal when you roll the volume off, eg if you ever watch Live in Munich 77 or anywhere after you can see when Blackmore rolls the volume off and you get a really nice crystal clear tone.

However I did try my guitar (also fitted with an MTC) on a Fender Deluxe amp and sounded great full up but when I rolled it back on that partucular amp it sound rather harsh but other than that its a great little circuit.

negativecreep92
10-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Saw Deep Purple's Montreux anniversary gig on TV today - bloody amazing. It's definitely inspired me to get into more of their stuff.

femme fatale
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
do you guys have any recommendations for a new deep purple listener?
i never really tried listening to their stuff (besides their hits) before and then i got hooked after i heard Soldier of Fortune.
so what should i get?

therussian
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Deep Purple in Rock.

GET IT

anniewoonie
10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
black night, child in time, fireball, highway star and when a blind man cries are their greatest songs...

Blackmore, Coverdale, Hughes, Lord, Paice!!

Danne55
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
do you guys have any recommendations for a new deep purple listener?
i never really tried listening to their stuff (besides their hits) before and then i got hooked after i heard Soldier of Fortune.
so what should i get?

Machine Head
In Rock
Made in Japan
Burn

for a start

bodyheatseeker
10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Machine Head
In Rock
Made in Japan
Burn

for a start

Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.

Danne55
10-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.

Indeed he does ;)

(You know you'll be so quoted now :p: )

bodyheatseeker
10-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Indeed he does ;)

(You know you'll be so quoted now :p: )

February 05'ers represent!

TheHeartbreaker
11-15-2007, 09:05 PM
*BUMP*

As of late I have been listening to much more Rainbow than Deep Purple, but of course Deep Purple is still one of my most-listened to bands.

Despite this, I still have not bought a new album, but rather have listened to Machine Head, Made in Japan, and Perfect Strangers continuously.

I asked my father if, like Perfect Strangers (and Machine Head), if he owns any other Deep Purple vinyls. According to him he still owns The Book of Taliesyn, but I have not yet been able to find it (our vinyls are kept in a clutter closet, which is quite inconveinient).

therussian
11-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Deep Purple: great hard rock band, or the greatest?

Mellow Gold
11-16-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't care what any one else says, Come Taste The Band is an amazing album.

buffbiff21
11-16-2007, 05:32 AM
I don't care what any one else says, Come Taste The Band is an amazing album.
Nah, Tommy Bolin lacked fire. I found that album the least inspiring, even moreso than the pre Gillan albums. They were ****ed when Ritchie left.. thankfully they released the gem Perfect Strangers upon reuniting. My fav DP album! In Rock has Child in Time though...

Mellow Gold
11-16-2007, 06:20 AM
It's really unfair to compare Bolin to Blackmore. As for Deep Purple I do think they would have called it quits whether or not Bolin had O.D, that just quicken things along. I also happen to be a big funk fan and if you don't care for funk chances are you're not going to like Come Taste The Band.

On a some what related note when Blackmore joined Elf and changed the name to Rainbow he ****ed up a really good band. If you give the Elf albums a listen you'd hear that the only thing that they were missing was a solid guitar player. When that did happen that guitar player just happed to be Ritchie Blackmore who's always been more concerned about his work then the contributions of others.

Master Shake
11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
^What!.... Rainbow is awesome.
As for Elf... . they werent that great which is why Ritchie got rid of them after the first album and one of them quit. Most of them were pretty average. Ronnie made the band and sang one good song, Shes not the Same with a few 'alright' tracks IMO. After Ronnie left he had every oportunity to go back from 1979 to today and still talks about a reunion.
Rainbow was a Blackmore project, funded and everything and used to feed off the musicians input for songs a lot! Hence why he fired a lot that werent working. This is also why Bonnet was fired... he could sing, yes but had to be told what to sing note for note and brought nothing to the band. So while it was Blackmore's band its not really true to say he was only concerned about his work. He always gave the other members plenty of solo time to show of their skills but still would have enjoyed being in charge.

fenderPbass17
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
The one thing that deep purple has that can literally KICK ASS is their Hammond B3 organ with leslie amps. ESPECIALLY if the beginning of the live version of Space Truckin. I'd kill to be able to have that setup in my basement along with my bass

Mellow Gold
11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
^What!.... Rainbow is awesome.
As for Elf... . they werent that great which is why Ritchie got rid of them after the first album and one of them quit. Most of them were pretty average. Ronnie made the band and sang one good song, Shes not the Same with a few 'alright' tracks IMO. After Ronnie left he had every oportunity to go back from 1979 to today and still talks about a reunion.
Rainbow was a Blackmore project, funded and everything and used to feed off the musicians input for songs a lot! Hence why he fired a lot that werent working. This is also why Bonnet was fired... he could sing, yes but had to be told what to sing note for note and brought nothing to the band. So while it was Blackmore's band its not really true to say he was only concerned about his work. He always gave the other members plenty of solo time to show of their skills but still would have enjoyed being in charge.

I never said that Rainbow wasn't awesome. I'm just saying Blackmore shouldn't have hijacked another band to get his own band going.

Master Shake
11-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I never said that Rainbow wasn't awesome. I'm just saying Blackmore shouldn't have hijacked another band to get his own band going.

ermmmm they had a choice.....

Danne55
11-23-2007, 10:51 AM

I think the only reason Blackmore "hijacked" Elf wass to get Dio as the singer. Since the other members were fired immidiately after the first replaced by better musicians.

(Nice beeing back in this thread :p: Well, I don't listen to so much English music atm so we'll se when I'm back again)

therussian
12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I've gotta say, every time I hear Blackmore's tone after the bridge in Child in Time (right when he comes in), I think my life is complete.

slashnzakkrule
12-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Ritchie Blackmore is amazing!!!

TheHeartbreaker
12-31-2007, 12:08 AM
I think the only reason Blackmore "hijacked" Elf wass to get Dio as the singer. Since the other members were fired immidiately after the first replaced by better musicians.

That's what I've heard as well. An ass move, eh? Well, no matter-the Elf members are no doubt receiving some royalties for performing on the album, and one of the all-time great rock and roll bands, Rainbow, was formed.

Master Shake
01-01-2008, 06:28 AM

(Nice beeing back in this thread :p: Well, I don't listen to so much English music atm so we'll se when I'm back again)

well they werent fired immediately, they still recorded an album together but if you look at the live band Rainbow turned into you can see some skill issues appearing. Also I think it might have been Craig (going off the top of my head) who quit.
I cant see how anyone can take this personally, Rainbow had well over 20 members and were never that a bigger band. No same line up recorded more than one album together (excluding live).
Blackmore did what he needed to do for 'his' project and well firing people a lot was the way to go about it for him which makes sense. (You get new people its always fresh and new ideas going around :cool: ) /you may also notice how none of his fired Rainbow members speak badly about him (well maybe a little bit from Carey :D :D )
Plus it opened up a lot of windows for a lot of unknown very talented players.

For the record what happened to Elf after Rainbow:

Ronnie James Dio: Black Sabbath (Heaven & Hell), Dio and also recorded two songs with Malmsteen

Craig Grubber: Black Sabbath, Bible Black and Gary More before quiting

Gary Driscol: Dakota, Starcastle, Jack Starr, Bible Black (not very big names I know be he was caught up in some shady drug bussiness and was murdered in 87 (quite messy I beleive...))

Mickey Lee Soule: Roger Glover, Ian Gillan B, and hes currently DP's keyboard technician.

Later members were a bit more successful but being able to put Rainbow on your resume would certainly earn you some credit!

You also cant blame Blackmore for the complete break up of Elf. Dio has had every oportunity to go back and reform it and talks about it quite oftenly but I really doubt we will see a reunion. With H&H he's pretty much shown us he is really only interested in the money which im not saying is a bad thing or anything, just makes it sound more unlikely to reunite with Elf.
And if he had it his way im sure he would love to reunite with Blacker's, he makes it no secret he's his hero :p:

R.I.P Ad

anniewoonie
01-01-2008, 02:55 PM
this should be a good place to reclaim for the Deep Purple cover contest I've started here on the forum... Please join the contest everybody that has an opportunity for it....

it's plenty of good DP songs, so the conditions for a good contest are present..

sam i am
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
this should be a good place to reclaim for the Deep Purple cover contest I've started here on the forum... Please join the contest everybody that has an opportunity for it....

it's plenty of good DP songs, so the conditions for a good contest are present..

reclaim.... do you mean recruit? lol

And I'll maybe enter. I'll go check it out now.

R'n'R rebel
01-23-2008, 01:16 AM
deep purple does ****IN ROCK!!!!!!!
blackmore is the best guitarist that ever lived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master Shake
01-23-2008, 08:09 AM
blackmore is the best guitarist that ever lived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure is!!!!!!!! :D :D

Danne55
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Without a doubt! ;)

sam i am
01-23-2008, 03:39 PM
No way you guys! It's steve morse!

:p: joke. Let's not start that again....

BOC15
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
They were in California like 4 months ago or something with Blue oyster cult and edgar winter... i wanted to go there that month but i never did.. ive been wanting to see them for awhile but i heard they kick ass live.. but you already know the BOC blew them away that night... ha just kidding.. but seriously they did..

anyway has anyone seen them live?? are they good.. i heard they were??

Master Shake
01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
They were in California like 4 months ago or something with Blue oyster cult and edgar winter... i wanted to go there that month but i never did.. ive been wanting to see them for awhile but i heard they kick ass live.. but you already know the BOC blew them away that night... ha just kidding.. but seriously they did..

They were good in 69 :p: (from bootlegs). But in all honesty i dont think they are good any more and ive said why many times :D
DP died long ago and its actually just an Ian Gillan tribute band hehe
Some people still like it but Paice and Gillan just need to retire imo. Ive heard better tribute bands than DP anyway. Paice even plays in Demons Eye now and then, Markus is a very skilled guitarist too :cool:.

Danne55
01-24-2008, 04:14 PM
No way you guys! It's steve morse!

Oh my god, how dare you !!!! :grrr:

But you're right let's not start again :p:

scizor4
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
blackmore is a genius flawless technique with insurmountable exuberance child in time is the grewates fukn metal song

sam i am
01-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh my god, how dare you !!!! :grrr:

But you're right let's not start again :p:

i was joking, i personally prefer blackmore too.

Danne55
01-26-2008, 06:14 AM
I know sam i am, don't worry.

Supernaut2k
01-26-2008, 09:59 AM
i dont trust people who dont like deep purple.

BabeWithGuitar
01-27-2008, 07:20 AM

well yes- you heard it right- THEY KICK ASS LIVE!!!
I saw them a year ago- (my first great rock concert :devil: ) and they were unbelivavle- band did a good job but what i liked the most was Ian Gillan- oh my god!- that guy sang it even better than on their albums... pretty good show :)

Ignite_24
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow I swear when I first joined the forum I searched Deep Purple and didn't see this but awesome anyways! It's gonna take me a while to read the whole thing lol.

It's probably been discussed but how many people actually like any other lineup better than MK II? Blackmore = God.

TheHeartbreaker
05-03-2008, 11:34 PM
In all honesty, Mark II is Deep Purple.

Mark I was a great beginning for a great band, but Mark II was where the magic happened.

There is no doubt that post-Mark II Deep Purple released some great material, but nothing can compare to the Blackmore, Gillian, Glover, Lord, and Paice.

Danne55
05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Mk II is of course the very classical line-up. The list could be long with all their classic songs. I must say, though that Mk III is really, really close in the work they did. They produced lots of classics like Burn, Stormbringer, Mistreated etc. I really can't see what they didn't have that Mk II had.

(Ignite_24: if you like Blackmore you should definitely try out (Rithchie Blackmore's) Rainbow. There is a thread somewhere where there are tips of songs, enjoy.)

ConorE93
05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey guys

Im 13
I hate rap
Love deep purple

Am i Too old for my age

cya conor

Danne55
05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes you definitely are ;)

What songs have you heard so far?

I must ask what other people's opinion on MK IIc (ie the album The Battle Rages On) is? I've been listening to some of it recently and must say that it has some highlights which are also similar to the last Rainbow, Stranger in us All.

sam i am
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey guys

Im 13
I hate rap
Love deep purple

Am i Too old for my age

cya conor

Definately. All the kids love rap.

TheHeartbreaker
05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I must ask what other people's opinion on MK IIc (ie the album The Battle Rages On) is? I've been listening to some of it recently and must say that it has some highlights which are also similar to the last Rainbow, Stranger in us All.

I've listened to several songs from the album The Battle Rages On, and I enjoyed each of them. There's no denying that it's a heavier album than a lot of their previous ones, either. While I can't judge the entire album, based upon the several songs I have listened to, I still prefer the album Perfect Strangers from the first Mark II reunion to this one.

Tevis Maloney
05-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Wow I swear when I first joined the forum I searched Deep Purple and didn't see this but awesome anyways! It's gonna take me a while to read the whole thing lol.

It's probably been discussed but how many people actually like any other lineup better than MK II? Blackmore = God.

MKII is my favorite line up, but the ones after are good in their own way. I liked Coverdale/Hughes on Burn. Stormbringer is a weak effort IMHO. Tommy Bolin was a good player,but I thought I was listening to a completly different band when I first heard Come Taste the Band.

The "new" lineup is cool. Steve Morse is no slouch, but it's not the same. I just wish Blackmore would time travel to the present and play some rock and roll.

guitarchik92
05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
My school orchestra atempted to play Smoke on the Water for the spring concert. Note: I say attempted. It was really, really bad. Maybe with a better orchestra it would've worked, but not here. It wasn't even recognizable as Smoke on the Water.

BOC15
05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Dude, that song is ****ing easy, maybe i am just saying that because i do more of a brass band, rather than an 'orchestra' lol.

Anyway... Deep Purple Rules! lol

Ignite_24
05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Ya really how can you mess that riff up lol. But anyways, again this is probably a question that's been asked earlier in this thread but...What are your top 3 Deep Purple albums?
Mine are:1. In Rock
2. Machine Head
3. Perfect Strangers

Nashag
05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Ya really how can you mess that riff up lol. But anyways, again this is probably a question that's been asked earlier in this thread but...What are your top 3 Deep Purple albums?
Mine are:1. In Rock
2. Machine Head
3. Perfect Strangers

Does live albums count? In that case:
1. Made In Japan
2. Machine Head
3. In Rock
Otherwise:
1. Machine Head
2. In Rock
3. Who do We Think We Are

TheHeartbreaker
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
But anyways, again this is probably a question that's been asked earlier in this thread but...What are your top 3 Deep Purple albums?

My favorite Deep Purple albums (specifically, studio albums) are: Machine Head, Perfect Strangers, and Deep Purple In Rock.

Danne55
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
How about Burn? Maybe not on top 3 but definetely top 5 I must say.

Ignite_24
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I know, a lot of people like Burn but I am strictly a MK II guy at this point. Thinking about getting into the Morse era stuff soon.....maybe.

Danne55
05-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Acctually Stormbringer is decent too, altought I haven't heard it that much to really have an opinoin. (Could be that I'm judging on Soldier of Fortune :p: )

TheHeartbreaker
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
I know, a lot of people like Burn but I am strictly a MK II guy at this point. Thinking about getting into the Morse era stuff soon.....maybe.

I wouldn't call myself strictly Mk. II, but I have found the material from that era of the band the strongest.

I need to listen to Morse-era Deep Purple more. I've seen a lot of videos with him, but I'm still not too convinced if I like it.

xSepulturax
06-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Hasn't anyone listened to Fireball? its incredible. My favorite dp album by far

Ignite_24
06-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Ya I do really like Fireball too but not as much as In Rock and Machine Head, though I could be influenced because of Ritchie saying that In Rock, Machine Head, and Perfect Strangers were were good albums in his eyes because the whole band worked together on them. Where he said albums like Fireball and who do we think we are were worked on seprately, everyone did their own thing and then came together. Still a great album though, I like Fools, No one came, and Mule. I think it's definitely one of their "hardest" albums aside from Anyone's daughter lol.

Master Shake
06-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Blackmore himself claims he doesnt own a copy of fireball :D

TheHeartbreaker
06-02-2008, 01:20 PM

:haha

I think it's a decent album.

Also, I've noticed that someone has written "Deep Purple Rules" in various places of my school. I first noticed it two years ago on one of my desks, and I'll occasionally see it on a wall somewhere.

Danne55
06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
:D

If I remember right various members claims that Fireball wasn't as good as Machine Head because Fireball wasn't as spontaneous. When recording Fireball they were sitting in an isolated house writing songs and then recording, while Machine Head was more spontaneus and the songs were written during a longer period, with the famous recording of the album topping it off.

TheHeartbreaker
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Sounds similar to Metallica's St. Anger...

druz15_UG
07-15-2008, 07:57 AM
What kinda rig did Ritchie use I can't find it on guitargeek or anything? Im asing coz I have to play 'You Fool No One' for a Uni Performance assessment and I need to try emulate his tone

kriferosk
07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I only want so say is: when I was 3 years, my father begin to show me my actually favourite band: "DEEP PURPLE". Now I´m 18 years old and I love classic rock and I love guitar

lordoflossarnac
07-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I think Blackmore mentioned sometime that he didn't like fireball much because it wasn't a real rock album.
anyway, my fav (studio) albums:
1) in Rock
2)Machinehead
3) the Battle rages on (very underrated IMO)

oh, and im going to their gig in London on the 30th, got VIP tickets so I get to meet them :D:D

metallicaPOOS
07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds similar to Metallica's St. Anger...

Hahahaha

beadhangingOne
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
made in japan is flippin amazing. who else owns it?

MRavioli
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
My school orchestra atempted to play Smoke on the Water for the spring concert. Note: I say attempted. It was really, really bad. Maybe with a better orchestra it would've worked, but not here. It wasn't even recognizable as Smoke on the Water.

video?

R_H_C_P
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I listened to Made in Japan today on the train, does Richie do anythin special to get that tone (especially the neck pickup tone) or is it just Strat thru a cranked Marshall?

beadhangingOne
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I listened to Made in Japan today on the train, does Richie do anythin special to get that tone (especially the neck pickup tone) or is it just Strat thru a cranked Marshall?

Basically.

TheHeartbreaker
07-17-2008, 04:25 PM
made in japan is flippin amazing. who else owns it?

Me. That was the first Deep Purple album I owned on CD, actually.

lordoflossarnac
07-17-2008, 04:43 PM

well, I think he plays through an Engl head with Marshall speakers, I'm pretty sure i saw an Engl Ritchie Blackmore sig head in my local musicstore a while ago.
(could be that he played it in his later days though) :)

Chetro
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
IN ROCK! The best. I like it better than Machine Head despite Lazy being so crazy wicked.

lordoflossarnac
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
agreed :P

TheHeartbreaker
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I personally prefer Machine Head, but In Rock is also a great album. Upon mentioning Lazy, I really do wish the song was longer. Even though it's one of the longer tracks on Machine Head and is a decent length from Made in Japan, it seems to go by too fast.

Master Shake
07-18-2008, 11:16 AM
well, I think he plays through an Engl head with Marshall speakers, I'm pretty sure i saw an Engl Ritchie Blackmore sig head in my local musicstore a while ago.
(could be that he played it in his later days though) :)

very much his later years and current :)
cant be %100 but most probably an AC30 put in a marshall head
I have the ENGL RB sig model, its actually a very nice amp (and i dont mean that in a biased way!)

EDIT: the engl he actually uses is the Soverign (used the savage a bit in Rainbow/white era), he doesnt use his sig

TheHeartbreaker
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I have the ENGL RB sig model, its actually a very nice amp (and i dont mean that in a biased way!)

ENGL produces very nice amps.

And they're quite expensive too, aren't they?

Master Shake
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
ENGL produces very nice amps.

And they're quite expensive too, aren't they?

ENGL do make very nice amps and the Blackmore one is actually more on the cheaper side. i paid $2300 AU just for the head and the vintage quad is about the same price (even more i think from memory) it has celestion greenbacks. But they are very good quality
Wouldnt mind trying out the SE one though, now that ones expensive!
I also think there is an engl quad that weighs more than me :p:
we were joking if i bought a full stack of that it would probably fall through the stage of our most regular venue :D

CandyMann
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Cool band!

I like all the CD's, except "Made in Japan". In that concert they did it very badly and it shoots your ears.

I like it when he vibrates a note on his guitar. You could play a note and vibrate your picking finger.

R_H_C_P
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
^What?!? Made in Japan is epic, ok, in a few songs they sound a bit unorganised (The Mule and Speed King) but the rest is pure epicness.

xFinnellx
11-28-2008, 04:21 AM
which song of theirs has the harmonic minor scale in it? (or just sounds really mid easternish)

it starts out with the keyboard solo and then it just is awesomeness later on

lordoflossarnac
11-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Do you really mean a full out solo? because they have a lot of songs starting with a keyboard intro.
Th only song starting with a keys solo I can think of at the moment is lazy, but it doesn't really sound Middle-Eastern to me.

therussian
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Lord's solo on Highway Star is very Mid-eastern

lordoflossarnac
11-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah, it is. But Highway star doesn't start with a keyboard solo...

therussian
11-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh haha, I didn't catch that part. Oops

Yeah, but the only ones I can think of are Lazy and Child in Time

blackmore5
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I realy like this band, and it's f***ing awsome......

train wreck
11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
ritchie blackmore never gets old. i love him.

chopps00
12-01-2008, 02:23 AM
I have the best of Deep Purple...whats your favorite album by them?

therussian
12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
In Rock, then Machine Head, followed by either Deep Purple, or Shades of Deep Purple (probably the former, for "April" alone)

LiquidCheese
12-01-2008, 07:13 PM
yea, machine head or In Rock would probably be my favorites also...i'd get machine head first though. it's just so classic.

R_H_C_P
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I'd say Machine Head is best, followed by Made in Japan.

How the HELL does Richie get such a damn thick tone with a strat on that album? It's unnatural!

sgtpeppers445
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Mine is prob perfect strangers Knocking on your back door is such a good song

TheHeartbreaker
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
My favorite studio album by Deep Purple is either Machine Head or Perfect Strangers.

Master Shake
12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd say Machine Head is best, followed by Made in Japan.

How the HELL does Richie get such a damn thick tone with a strat on that album? It's unnatural!

you mean machine head? The Gibson was still used on a couple of songs, Lazy for sure.

R_H_C_P
12-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Nah I meant Made in Japan.

For Machine Head, I reckon Richie used his strat with both bridge and neck pups on at the same time for most songs.

Midget Hamster
12-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I like Deep Purple. I've been at one concert with them. Steve Morse is one of my favorite guitarists. Their songs are amazing, creative and alike nothing else.

Danne55
12-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, time for me to get back..!

And since I couldn't find a Whitesnake thread and didn't bother to make one I post it here instead :p:

I watched Whitesnake's show the other day and got reminded that it's a good band (sad though that there is nothing left of Coverdale's voice) and has some really classic songs. Their new album is also decent.

They also palyed a couple of Deep Purple songs (Burn, Solider of Fourune (!) and one verse of Stormbringer) so I guess it could go into this thread.

MRavioli
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Do the drums in Speed King use double bass, or is it just a different drum?

classicguy
02-23-2009, 07:23 PM
hey people, im new to deep purple. i got respect for them and their influance on rock.

but im not into them like i should be.

can you tell me like 10-20 songs i should listen to. besides smoke on the water.

therussian
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Do the drums in Speed King use double bass, or is it just a different drum?
No, I don't think Paicey uses double bass too often. Or ever at all.

As for the songs, here's a list off of the top of my head

For the more proggy and poppy stuff, check out:
April (fantastic song)
Hush
And the Address
Lalena

For the harder rocking ones:
Child in Time (a must)
Speed King
Highway Star
The Mule
Strange Kind of Woman
Maybe I'm a Leo
Lazy
Space Truckin'

There are a lot more though. These are just the most famous ones, I guess you could say.

In all honesty though, just get "Deep Purple In Rock" and "Machine Head"

A Rolling Stone
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Just found a live bootleg on vinyl for a few bucks at a shop...After buying it I discovered that it as two absolutely amazing beatles covers! (We Can Work it Out and Help) Boy was I surprised....The live version of Highway star rocked too.

therussian
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, they did a do a few Beatles covers on their first few albums (Mk I)

Anyway, I was in church earlier today and I was just messing around on the organ: started playing the intro to Child in Time, and my priest came up to me and said that he loved Deep Purple.

Awesome!

A Rolling Stone
03-08-2009, 02:29 AM
^ :eek: Lucky! But then again my preacher gave me a Joni Mitchell album once....:D

classicguy
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
you all have probally seen this already.
i just found out about it, and im completly shocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7izXdJKrc

watch that

tonepro
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
hey people, im new to deep purple. i got respect for them and their influance on rock.

but im not into them like i should be.

can you tell me like 10-20 songs i should listen to. besides smoke on the water.
Just get Machine Head, In Rock, and Fireball to start you out. IMO, those records w/ Gillan sum up everything that is good about Deep Purple.

Nilpferdkoenig
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
You guys make me sad for fighting over if Steve Morse or Ritchie Blackmore is the better guitarist for Deep Purple.

I saw Deep Purple last November without even knowing any of their songs so of course I was introduced to Steve Morse before Blackmore.
My favourite Deep Purple album is Rapture of the Deep, the newest one. I'm a huge fan of fast, choppy alternate picking and harmonics so Morse is just more interesting for me, whereas Blackmores solos contain too many "noise" elements such as whammy bar abuse for me.

I'll give Ritchie credit for being the cleanest "shredder" back then, his fast playing is way smoother than Tony Iommis, Jimmy Pages and Hendrix' playing and he had a cool tone, plus he uses a Strat.

You definatly notice that Steve Morse is the technically more efficient guitarist of the two but their riffs are just as good.

It's a tie.

ingames
03-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey my mom has brought home a Deep Purple CD, Come Taste The Band, and it came from a magazine or newspaper or something. And they really kick ass! Never heard rocking out like these guys before....
L0l guess death and thrash metal really took a toll on me :P

Nilpferdkoenig
04-04-2009, 03:31 PM
If you want to listen to more just get the album Perfect Strangers, every song is a jem.

Count-Gackula
04-04-2009, 05:58 PM
i think people should listen more to the "burn" album, there´s just no better combination voice-wise than coverdale and hughes!!!

stef123
04-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Anyways I heard Blackmore was one of the first to use sweep picking is this true?

*Doesn't read any replies from the previous 20 pages :haha *

Anyway, check out this vid. Ritchie does a bit of sweeping(It's in 1969, but he probably did it in '68 seeing as Wring that Neck is a MK I song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7izXdJKrc

ub3r_bassist666
04-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Why hello there Deep Purple thread.

Picked thisup not too long ago :p:

stef123
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
In Rock is my favourite album by Deep Purple. Hard Lovin' Man has two of the best solos I've ever heard. Ritchie sure knew how to play that Gibson ES-335!

ub3r_bassist666
04-28-2009, 05:56 AM
In Rock is my favourite album by Deep Purple. Hard Lovin' Man has two of the best solos I've ever heard. Ritchie sure knew how to play that Gibson ES-335!

Mmmmhmm, Side 1 is Speed king, Bloodsucker, & Child in Time. So its rather good.

FIREBIRDMAN99
04-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Wish he'd give up that Blackmores Night rubbish and get back to playing decent rock again...

By the way there's a great site that helps you get a great deal on UK house conveyancing (http://www.agentquote.co.uk/conveyancing.aspx) ...

stef123
05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Spam? lol

flamingsnow9999
05-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Rainbow is my favorite band of all time. They are sooooo awesome. Street of dreams....Yeah..... But their best is Since You've Been Gone. It can be in your head for weeks straight. And you still love it!

stef123
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh no no no, I love Rainbow, but SYBG is their worst song ever! It's like smoke on the water for Deep Purple!

therussian
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
What are you talking about? Despite the overrated riff (which is still quite good), it is such a sick song. Listen to Ian Paice on the drums, and Blackmore's solo.

stef123
05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
The riff is the best part of the song, that's what made it so famous. The solo from Blackmore is no way near his best, not even the best on Machine Head!

Master Shake
05-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Rainbow is my favorite band of all time. They are sooooo awesome. Street of dreams....Yeah..... But their best is Since You've Been Gone. It can be in your head for weeks straight. And you still love it!

oh man STARGAZER is where its at :p:

stef123
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I love stargazer, and rainbow

Tengatu Man
05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Hello Deep Purple rocks and I apologize for this but I'm bored and I feel like this is going to become a habit...
I'm a "Lazy" "Highway Star", or "Maybe I'm A Leo"?, and I have "Never Before" seen "Pictures of Home" as I've been "Space Truckin" through the "Smoke On The Water".
Anyways some of my favorite Deep Perple songs are "Lazy", "Highway Star", and "Pictures of Home"
And thanks to Yngwie Malmsteen I was able to listen to "Gates of Babylon" by Rainbow and it's awesome

stef123
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Another MAchine Head Fan :D

anyways, this is one hell of a solo. You may not like it if you are not into mk I stuff, although this is mk II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBMhlTi-bS0&feature=channel_page

aig91
06-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Machine Head was the first Deep Purple album I ever listened to. Loved them ever since.

^ Cool link btw.

strawforest007
06-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Deep Purple! I'm a fan of Mk I and Mk II. Machine Head and the Live in Japan albums were the first I listened to. Wring that Neck, Emmeretta and It's All Over are sublime tracks on the Book of Taliesyn CD. The 'Gemini Suite' and the 'Concerto for Group and Orchestra' are well worth a listen (the band are on fire, heavily extending the songs through improvisation).

Anyone else hear about the saga with Rod Evans (singer from Mk I) in the late 70's, touring as Deep Purple during the split? He was doing (reportedly really bad) covers of the Mk II era, and as the gigs were advertised as Deep Purple huge crowds turned out and riots broke out. Evans got sued and the tour and his career ended there. For the record, the tour was in North America (Canada I think).

^^another Rory Gallagher fan! Great stuff! I'm really glad he never joined the Stones or the Purple. Good on him.

stef123
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Maybe I'm a Leo is a great track.

and I never knew Rod Evans toured with DP in late 70's!

vtpcnk
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
which do you think is blackmore's best solo?

pictures of home - i think.

best dp song - maybe i am a leo (more for gillian than blackmore though on this track).

vtpcnk
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
lot of people seem to know machine head - but 'in rock'? that is a much more ferocious album. but as good as machine head and more importantly DP themselves think 'in rock' was their best effort.

stef123
09-12-2009, 07:58 AM
which do you think is blackmore's best solo?

pictures of home - i think.

best dp song - maybe i am a leo (more for gillian than blackmore though on this track).

Hard Lovin Man is good.

estranged_g_n_r
09-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Really like Richie Blackmore and 'Highway Star,' I want to get into Deep Purple more, can you please recommend me a good album of theirs?

vtpcnk
09-15-2009, 04:14 AM
i actually like that running bass line and gillians screams in 'living wreck' in 'in rock'.

therussian
09-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Estranged, get "In Rock", and then "Machine Head".

If you want to check out a completely different side to Deep Purple, check out their first 3 albums.

jecox13
09-18-2009, 01:35 PM
omg i luv deep purple. got all there albums nd i think ritchies tone is amazing. also his mix of classical nd rock is awsum.

shame he had to go weird nd liv in Switzerland with sum smelly folkeys

Anyways FAV albums of theres:
mine is defo in rock or machine

stef123
03-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey Deep Purple fans! Here's a cracking vid of Ritchie in his early Deep Purple days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq63RYtS6Nw

Dill69
04-12-2010, 10:28 PM
OK, so hey guys, anyway, a couple of months ago I purchased In Rock, and thought it was one of the best rock albums I'd ever heard in my life, songs like "Black Night," "Flight of the Rat," "Into the Fire," and "Living Wreck" made me want to take guitar more seriously. Then "Child in Time" just completely blew me away. Then I purchased Machine Head and it was just as great, "Lazy," "Space Truckin," "Highway Star," "Living Wreck" and "Smoke" were all great. So then I bought Perfect Strangers, definitely nowhere near as good.

So yesterday, I got Made in Japan, it's spectactular. But my question is, are there any other albums worth getting?

wilstrong
04-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Black Night's my favourite purple song. And then it's Child in Time, followed by Smoke and Strombringer. Immense stuff, really.

wilstrong
04-17-2010, 06:55 AM
We know. ;)

monwobobbo
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
OK, so hey guys, anyway, a couple of months ago I purchased In Rock, and thought it was one of the best rock albums I'd ever heard in my life, songs like "Black Night," "Flight of the Rat," "Into the Fire," and "Living Wreck" made me want to take guitar more seriously. Then "Child in Time" just completely blew me away. Then I purchased Machine Head and it was just as great, "Lazy," "Space Truckin," "Highway Star," "Living Wreck" and "Smoke" were all great. So then I bought Perfect Strangers, definitely nowhere near as good.

So yesterday, I got Made in Japan, it's spectactular. But my question is, are there any other albums worth getting?

any of the MKII line up (ian gillian) albums are well worth getting. BURN with david coverdale/glen hughes is an awesome album. COME TASTE THE BAND with tommy bolin on guitar is also an excellent album but may not be to alls taste.

ipad.phone111
05-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Deep Purple survived a seemingly endless series of lineup changes and a dramatic mid-career shift from grandiose progressive rock to ear-shattering heavy metal to emerge as a true institution of the British hard rock community; on... More »

David Sertl
05-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dill69

Another great live album is imho Live in Stuttgart 1993. IT was their last Tour with Ritchie, and although I don't really like the Material from the Battle Rages On, the older stuff on this one BURNS!

stef123
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Check out the MK I stuff on YouTube, and see what you think. The album 'Deep Purple' is great. Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-EJ9dQ5BmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6uRfGiGs_0

If you like these, get the album. Some great music. :D Enjoy!

crazydiamond5
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
i always think of shrooms when i hear deep purple lol

stef123
09-18-2010, 10:06 AM
i always think of shrooms when i hear deep purple lol
Can I ask why?

gerardk
09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Into the Fire is a great song. Grooves like a mother***er!

ron666
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I love their early stuff, like Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin. Whatever happened to them?? Have not heard anything about them for quite a while?? Are they still together??

ron666

stef123
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
I love their early stuff, like Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin. Whatever happened to them?? Have not heard anything about them for quite a while?? Are they still together??

ron666

Well, they are still touring, but not with Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord. They have Steve Morse as their guitarist. They have a few albums, but I don't really like it. For me, Ritchie Blackmore is Deep Purple.

And yes - Into the fire is a great tune! Such a cool riff! :)

Jyrgen
10-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Saw DP last year. Brilliant gig. Haters gonna hate :p

Shadow Fang
10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I love Deep Purple my favorite song wld have to be Child In Time because of Blackmore's awesome playing and Gillian's insanely high vocals.

We Can Work It Out from the Book of Taliesyn and Help! from Shades of Deep Purple are also amazing they made both those songs their own.

stef123
10-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah the MK1 covers are really good.

ron666
10-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Deep Purple rocks. I luv Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin.

ron666

Crazed Shredder
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Bump

I have been listening to Machine Head a lot today. Such a great album from such a great band.
Deep Purple rocks. I luv Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin.

ron666
Smoke on the Water is sssssoooooooooo overrated

Coincidentally I'm listening to Space Truckin' right now.

MarkWilliam
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Deep Purple are the reason I play the guitar. the Mk 2 line up was as close to a complete band of equals as you could imagine. But each lineup has produced unique quality rock. their latest offering Rapture of the Deep was an awesome album, and if you haven't heard Sometimes I feel Like Screaming off the Purpendicular album - go and find it now.
Best songs? Child In Time, Highway Star, Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming, Speed King, Burn, Demons Eye, Fireball too many to mention....
The tragedy about Deep Purple was that they were never managed the way Zeppelin was and they never reached their full potential in my view. Blackmore, IMHO was the best player of his day and was perhaps the most influential of his time Jon Lord on keyboards was a genius and Ian Paice was/is a phenomenal drummer. And if you think Robert Plant was the best classical rock vocalist take 8 minutes and listen to Gillans insane vocals on Child In Time.
The most endearing thing about them was that they never played the celebrity game - the music was their statement nothing else.

deeppurple97
02-18-2011, 11:31 AM
I also really love Deep Purple, i have seen them with Status Quo last year, and they really rock!!! I think child in time is their best song, but i also like "Pictures of Home",
"Black Night" "Stormbringer" and many more! Basically all their songs are great!!
Richie Blackmore is very underrated, i agree...

darkstar2466
02-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Stormbringer, anyone?

deeppurple97
02-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Did you mean "who likes stormbringer"?? Sorry for the dumb question but my english is not so good..... If you asked "who likes stormbringer", then: HERE!!! ME!!! :D

JonChorba
02-19-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll tell you what album I love..."Abandoned"

It's more modern, sure, but the riffs on "Any Fule Know That" and the vocals on "Bludsucker" are awesome! An old teacher of mine worked on that record too, so thats what got me to get it in the first place.

deeppurple97
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
It´s more modern, sure

Listen to some of their older stuff if you haven´t already, I´m sure you´ll like it. ;)

JonChorba
02-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Listen to some of their older stuff if you haven´t already, I´m sure you´ll like it. ;)

Oh, I have. I was just giving it some love! :)

deeppurple97
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
This thread needs this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLhmhfkphd0

Ritchie Blackmore is INSANE, as he proves in this video ;)

Bojana Cibej
04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Child in time is the best!

JammerZice
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
So i'm guessing everyone here know how to play "Smoke on the water"?

wulaishiwo
04-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Could you give more details about the band? It is far away from now

JammerZice
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
No...

ron666
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Bump

I have been listening to Machine Head a lot today. Such a great album from such a great band.

Smoke on the Water is sssssoooooooooo overrated

Coincidentally I'm listening to Space Truckin' right now.

Why do you think that Smoke on the Water i over-rated???

Space Truckin kicks ass, by the way.

ron666

JammerZice
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Could you give more details about the band? It is far away from now

What do you mean "It is far away from now"?

beer bear
04-13-2011, 10:38 AM
any of you listened to the DP album Slaves & masters?
Cause i read rave-reviews of it and finally got around to buying it... And IMHO it's one of DP's weakest efforts ever. I've even listened to the album a few times to make sure, and the only memorable track for me is 'the cut runs deep'.

So guys, opinions?

monwobobbo
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
any of you listened to the DP album Slaves & masters?
Cause i read rave-reviews of it and finally got around to buying it... And IMHO it's one of DP's weakest efforts ever. I've even listened to the album a few times to make sure, and the only memorable track for me is 'the cut runs deep'.

So guys, opinions?

it's not bad but comes off more like a Rainbow album since the songs are kinda commercial and joe lynn turner is singing.