Deep Purple

PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stula1031
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah I love this band they fucking rock

I love the riffs the solos... So talk about them hear....

Blackmore - Suprer underated

misfits385
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Agreed Blackmore is quite underrated.

Fantastic band also.

Wannabehippie
12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
They're awesome.

People who haven't heard anything other than Smoke on the Water or Black Night, really should listen to more. Lazy is awesome song.

rayIII
12-13-2005, 01:55 PM
I've heard the entire machine head album, but i've never heard black night..... ???

Uncle Salty
12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Own a greatest hits and it kicks ass

Andrewbiles
12-13-2005, 03:04 PM
My parents went to Ian Gillan's house for his birthday party once (some relation was dating him) and my dad ended up playing darts with him. That's their only celebrity story that I know of, but I think it's a good one.
They were a great band, very enjoyable albums.

Calum_Barrow
12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah Blackmoore is underrated. I like Rainbow too. You like them?

JackWhite1988
12-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Deep Purple is the best classic rock band next to the Stones.

Ritchie Blackmore in my honest opinion is the best classic rock guitarist.

I own all their albums. Not only do I love Deep Purple, I love the other bands connected to them such as Whitesnake, Rainbow, Sabbath and Ozzy

Wannabehippie
12-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I've heard the entire machine head album, but i've never heard black night..... ???

It might be a different title i'm not sure. I'm paranoid about song titles, i always think its called something else. But here it is, look on the CD listing below.

Here (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1119229/a/Very+Best+Of+Deep+Purple.htm)

Master Shake
12-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah Blackmoore is underrated. I like Rainbow too. You like them?

Rainbow is excellent and so underated :(

coldethyl
12-14-2005, 05:58 AM
Great, raw Rock N Roll band!

First album I ever heard was Machine Head and first album I owned of theirs was Made In Europe.

Blackmore is a clever guitarist!

dionysus85
12-14-2005, 06:47 AM

black knight aint on machine head

i have shades of deep purple and machine head
both really really good
especially machine head
if you don't have it ... GET IT

hippiemusic101
12-14-2005, 08:17 AM
My parents went to Ian Gillan's house for his birthday party once (some relation was dating him) and my dad ended up playing darts with him. That's their only celebrity story that I know of, but I think it's a good one.
They were a great band, very enjoyable albums.
i met michael jackson's sister!!!(i was like 3 n she loved my hair(curley))

deep purple is awsum

Still Life
12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah I love Deep Purple, went to see them last summer with April Wine. They put on a decent show, considering they had Steve Morse instead of Blackmore. Blackmore is quite the guitarist, very underrated. Love Rainbow too, maybe even more than Deep Purple (early Rainbow, with Dio).

Has anyone ever heard Blackmore's Night that he's doing now with his wife? It's weird stuff, I think he should go back to Deep Purple and do a more-or-less reunion tour (as close to a "reunion" as an unstable band such as Deep Purple can get).

ThePurpleRabbit
12-14-2005, 10:56 AM
You're probably DUMB if you don't like this band.!

They're Farkin' ACE!

weeman jnr
12-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Cheers guys i've been waiting for a deep purple thread.

Anyone recommend a good album to start with.....they seem to have a confusing discography.
I've only heard Burn and smoke on the water, and i want to hear more. :D

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Rainbow is crazy. What a damn good band. Blackmore/Dio combination is killer. As for Deep Purple, I have 5 albums, not nearly enough. Soon enough I'm gonna get at least 1 or 2 of the last 4 they've done with Steve Morse. I've heard some songs from this era and love them. Steve Morse is incredibly talented and fits in perfect to DP's sound.

JkHalen
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Amazing band, love their sound and Blackmore is extremely talented

JackWhite1988
12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Rainbow is crazy. What a damn good band. Blackmore/Dio combination is killer. As for Deep Purple, I have 5 albums, not nearly enough. Soon enough I'm gonna get at least 1 or 2 of the last 4 they've done with Steve Morse. I've heard some songs from this era and love them. Steve Morse is incredibly talented and fits in perfect to DP's sound.

Morse is a great guitarist...just after hearing Blackmore DP, its hard to take Morse DP seriously. His style compliments the band as it stands. I'm not into his style as much as I am with Ritchie b/c he's more of a fluent, clean/pure classicaly influenced guitarist.

The man lays the law down on guitar...hands down.

al_
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
CHild in Time is such an amazing song. Althoug lots would call it raw rovk n roll, Its pretty damn sophisticated if you ask me.

rx_eb
12-15-2005, 04:20 AM
who do you prefer

coverdale or gillan?

dragon_rider
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
deep purple rocks! yea i think blackmore is way too underrated

BonJoviROX!
12-15-2005, 05:30 PM
cool band tho could hav been better if ozzy didnt leave first.

Hanzi_G
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM

im pretty sure Black Night was just released as a single, and wasn't included on any album

anyways, yeah Deep Purple= :heart:...enough said

al_
12-15-2005, 06:09 PM

wtf?

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-15-2005, 06:09 PM
who do you prefer

coverdale or gillan?

Ian Gillan is one of my favourite vocalists ever. Enough said.

Burpin'Worm
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Has anyone ever heard Blackmore's Night that he's doing now with his wife? It's weird stuff, I think he should go back to Deep Purple and do a more-or-less reunion tour (as close to a "reunion" as an unstable band such as Deep Purple can get).
I like the stuff he's doing as Blackmore's Night. It sounds like Russian folk music a lot of the time but there's still some great guitar work. Check out Wish You Were Here from Shadow of the Moon, I love that song (not a Pink Floyd cover btw). My friend went to one of their gigs and half the audience went in robes, except the guy he ended up next to who just had an old sack on, cheap bastard lol.

Wannabehippie
12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
im pretty sure Black Night was just released as a single, and wasn't included on any album

anyways, yeah Deep Purple= :heart:...enough said

Isn't it on the Very Best of album? I don't know if you can really call that a proper album since its just a collection of songs off their other albums.

Check out Wish You Were Here from Shadow of the Moon, I love that song (not a Pink Floyd cover btw)

Sounds very close though....I'll check them out at Christmas, when i finally get some money. :liplick:

Stula1031
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM

D
U
M
B

A
S
S

Anyways I heard Blackmore was one of the first to use sweep picking is this true?

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-16-2005, 09:10 PM
^Not really sure. Blackmore is definately amazing though.

Anyone heard Rapture of the Deep and want to compare it to the 3 others with Morse so I know which one to get first?

sam i am
12-17-2005, 06:14 AM
the dp albums i have are -
Burn
Made in Japan
30th anniversary best of
i know that i should own In Rock and Machine Head but i already have half the songs from those albums from my compilations so is it worth it? or should i buy the rapture of the deep its meant be pretty good.

TwistedLogic
12-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Deep Purple rock!! I was inspired to pick the guitar because of Blackmore after hearing Highway Star for the first time. But ya, other stuff is awesome, like speed king, burn and lazy. I like Rainbow alot too and have all the Dio years material, awesome stuff. Blackmore plays with such an aggressive / mean, yet clear sound. He is definately a guitar god.

Scourge
12-17-2005, 09:33 AM
They're awesome.

People who haven't heard anything other than Smoke on the Water or Black Night, really should listen to more. Lazy is awesome song.:cheers:
damned straight. Lazy is friggen awesome.

i also love Maybe Im a Leo.
ive got Machine Head and Who do we Think we Are, and they are both awesome :D i should listen to them again, its been a few months now...

the main thing i love about Deep Purple is how they use organs... while most bands this style used massive guitar solos, they substituted with organ solos... and they are mind-blowing!!

Scourge
12-17-2005, 09:34 AM
cool band tho could hav been better if ozzy didnt leave first.:wtf:

:haha :haha

MORON!!!!

EDIT: wait, just a bit of a question i want clearing up, i dont know too much Black Sabbath after Ozzy (though i own Dehumaniser and will get Heaven and Hell at christmas), but was one of the singers for Black Sabbath from Deep Purple?

i heard this at some point but i dont know... (i also dont really know the names of the people in Deep Purple... hell, i love the music, but dont know anything about them :o)

Stula1031
12-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Dio sang for Sabbath after Ozzy and Rainbow. Rainbow is a band that Rotchie Blackmore(Deep Purple Guitarist) formed after leaving the band.

mmonster
12-17-2005, 02:59 PM
although machine head is more well known,Deep Purple In Rock is my favorite.Made In Japan is a pretty decent live album and contains a great mix of their earlier stuff up to macine head

Still Life
12-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I like the stuff he's doing as Blackmore's Night. It sounds like Russian folk music a lot of the time but there's still some great guitar work. Check out Wish You Were Here from Shadow of the Moon, I love that song (not a Pink Floyd cover btw). My friend went to one of their gigs and half the audience went in robes, except the guy he ended up next to who just had an old sack on, cheap bastard lol.

Well to be honest all I have heard from Blackmore's Night is that double live cd. The name of it has escaped me currently. They did a a cover of Soldier of Fortune and I think Sixteenth Century Greensleeves if I am not mistaken. I don't know, I gave it a few listens, found it a little hard to get into. If you heard the live stuff, is it much different from the studio recordings, maybe I will give them another listen, because Blackmore is quite a genius.

deadhead313313
12-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Damn good band indeed. Definately a favourite of mine. Saw them this summer, their new guitarist is ****in' awesome

Peaceful Rocker
12-17-2005, 06:05 PM
ummmmmmm...... what a ****ing idiot

rx_eb
12-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Ian Gillan is one of my favourite vocalists ever. Enough said.

yeah

but what coverdale did in burn is great

and i personally love soldier of fortune and the album stormbringer itself

Burpin'Worm
12-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Well to be honest all I have heard from Blackmore's Night is that double live cd. The name of it has escaped me currently. They did a a cover of Soldier of Fortune and I think Sixteenth Century Greensleeves if I am not mistaken. I don't know, I gave it a few listens, found it a little hard to get into. If you heard the live stuff, is it much different from the studio recordings, maybe I will give them another listen, because Blackmore is quite a genius.
I haven't heard them live unfortunatly, Past Times With Good Company I think that album's called. Some of their music is very different from Deep Purple and just because you're a fan of those records doesn't mean you'll like Blackmore's Night. The best way I can describe a lot of it is being like Russian folk music, with Blackmore's guitar coming into the mix at times. I like it, but I would expect a lot of people not to - one of my friends who loves Deep Purple has tried listening to Blackmore's Night and he hates it, but I prefer it. If you don't like them live a doubt they're much different from the studio records.

revilo
12-18-2005, 04:49 PM
^yeah 10 min of purely amazing talent.
machine head is probly one of the greatest albums in the world.
and Blackmore rules!!!!!!!

Stula1031
12-18-2005, 06:14 PM
So who knows a lot about Blackmore as a guitarist? Im curiouse to know what techniques he used.

peko
12-19-2005, 01:49 AM
I only he is one of riff masters(he and Toni Iommi best for riffs-my opinion). Just listen "Smoke On the Water","Black Night","Speed King" and my favorites "Perfect Strangers" and "Burn".On "Burn" live version there is so fine combination of Ritchie's guitar and Jon Lord's Hammonds.How are they connected that's pure magic. Unfortunately, neither Lord neither Blackmore are not with Purple today on their tours.I've heard their concert from "Montreux Jazz Festival" and there was Lord but Morse on guitar.Morse is good too, he gave them some new taste.

sam i am
12-20-2005, 08:48 AM
i dont think black night is actually his its off "summertime" by ricky nelson otr sumthing ive never herd the song i just read it some where but yeah i love his riffs.
My favourite songs are Lazy, Child in Time and Mistreated.

Dookie_1988
12-21-2005, 07:20 AM
So what do you guys think of Steve Morse's influences on the later albums..? (1994 - ... )

I love Blackmore, he is an amazing guitarist IMO, but i also love Morse, i love how he's influenced the 'new direction' as it were of Deep Purple... The Irish influences constanly coming through...

Fav Morse Purple songs:

- Haunted

- Contact Lost

- Walk On

- Picture of Innocence

- The Aviator

- Soon Forgotten

- Silver Tongue

I am loving these tracks in particular... Anyone else with views on the Morse stuff...?

:cheers:

Danne55
12-21-2005, 07:53 AM
EDIT: wait, just a bit of a question i want clearing up, i dont know too much Black Sabbath after Ozzy (though i own Dehumaniser and will get Heaven and Hell at christmas), but was one of the singers for Black Sabbath from Deep Purple?

Dio sang in Sabbath after he had sung in Rainbow
Ian Gillan (from Deep Purple) took over as singer in Black Sabbath when Dio left.
However they only recorded one album, Born Again, 1983. Pretty good imo

I've been waiting for a DP thread, nice!! :D

mojojojo_jimmy
12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Deep purple has probably the most talented singer( listen to child in time) but white snake sucked.

Danne55
12-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Nobody has posted but I'll try to see if we can keep the thread going :p:

Which is the best lineup in your opinion?
I'd list them:

Mk II
Mk III
Mk I
Mk VII
Mk IV
Mk VIII
Mk V
Mk VI (ok didn't do any recordnings, put them last since they didn't exist long enough)

Dean_ Thomson
12-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Mk2 is by far the best apart from the fact they where most succesful and there songs rocked they where great musicians
ian gillan is a great singer even nowadays hes still got it.
ian paice is an amazin drummer
john lord is astounding on keys
roger glover is one of the best bassist in rock
n Ritchie Blackmore is in my opinion the greatest british guitarist up in front of page,young n clapton he is my favourite guitarist

Still Life
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
So what do you guys think of Steve Morse's influences on the later albums..? (1994 - ... )

I love Blackmore, he is an amazing guitarist IMO, but i also love Morse, i love how he's influenced the 'new direction' as it were of Deep Purple... The Irish influences constanly coming through...

Fav Morse Purple songs:

- Haunted

- Contact Lost

- Walk On

- Picture of Innocence

- The Aviator

- Soon Forgotten

- Silver Tongue

I am loving these tracks in particular... Anyone else with views on the Morse stuff...?

I haven't heard a great deal of it, but Contact Lost and especially Walk On are rather amazing songs. He may not be Blackmore, but he adds his own thing that is just as good I think.

Danne55
12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
^
For me Blackmore is the best guitarist, altough Morse is not too bad acctually...
Even if DP was best with Blackmore,I enjoythe Morse stuff i've heard (not too much tough :p: )

jusp75
12-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Rising is a good album

deeppurple1066
12-28-2005, 10:44 PM
^
For me Blackmore is the best guitarist, altough Morse is not too bad acctually...
Even if DP was best with Blackmore,I enjoythe Morse stuff i've heard

kanamvar32
12-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Deep Purple is my favorite band! Clapton is my favorite artist but I don't think of band and artist as the same thing.
Favorite Deep Purple Songs:
Smoke on the Water: awesome riff
Child In Time: omg listen to the solo
When A Blind Man Cries: Vocals are amazing on this one
Burn: Fast-paced and Coverdale's and Hughes' vocals complement one another
I have 4.5 gigs of DP on my hard drive but its mostly earlier stuff. I really need to get more Steve Morse stuff. I do have Rapture of the Deep and I think it has some great songs. I like Wrong Man and Rapture of the Deep. If anyone has AOL AIM and can send me the Steve Morse cds, Deep Purple or Dixie Dregs, please IM me at KANAMVAR32.

Deep Purple has a very confusing history. I actually have a list of all the DP lineups and cds they made. I also have a decent memory of Black Sabbath history as well as Rainbow. But it's far too much to share here. But for that guy who mentioned Ozzy. He was never part of DP. Ronnie James Dio, Glenn Hughes, and Ian Gillian were all members of DP and went to Black Sabbath for a short time. Ritchie Blackmore formed the band Rainbow and had Dio and Joe Lynn Turner (later in DP) as lead singers. Former DP singer David Coverdale formed Whitesnake. Glenn Hughes and Tony Iommi also did work together apart from Black Sabbath (Dep Sessions and Fused).

Steve Morse and Ritchie Blackmore are both amazing guitarists who I believe are underappreciated.

Danne55
12-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Rising is a good album

Yeah! Rainbow are great!! and Rising is definately their best album. Maybe we should start a Rainbow thread :p:

Child In Time: omg listen to the solo
When A Blind Man Cries: Vocals are amazing on this one

Ronnie James Dio, Glenn Hughes, and Ian Gillian were all members of DP and went to Black Sabbath for a short time. Ritchie Blackmore formed the band Rainbow and had Dio and Joe Lynn Turner (later in DP) as lead singers.

when a blind man cries: thought I was the only one who had heard it here on UG :p: Great song!!

Dio was never a member in Deep Purple altough he sang in both Rainbow and Sabbath and eventually formed his own band 'Dio' :)

Danne55
12-29-2005, 07:18 AM

Still Life
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah! Rainbow are great!! and Rising is definately their best album. Maybe we should start a Rainbow thread :p:

when a blind man cries: thought I was the only one who had heard it here on UG :p: Great song!!

Dio was never a member in Deep Purple altough he sang in both Rainbow and Sabbath and eventually formed his own band 'Dio' :)

or maybe we should take over the Deep Purple thread and turn it into a Rainbow thread, hehe

as for When a Blind Man Cries, it really does have some amazing vocals. That and Soldier of Fortune.

Danne55
12-30-2005, 08:03 AM
^I had not heard Soldier of Fortune until now. Really nice song :)
However I think I prefer Gillan's vocals ;)
Child in Time is another good song for this

btw I might start a Rainbow thread if I have enoug backup :p:

The UG Squirrel
12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Pretty good Band...Ritchies solo in Child In Time from Made In Japan sucks though. I think Jon Lord is better than him. Ritchie wrote some great songs and all, but my God he's an arrogant tool.

And for someone above... I bought a reissue of In Rock with Black Night and a few extra songs on it.

angusfenderbend
12-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Space trucking is pretty awesome.

LPN
12-31-2005, 04:29 AM
I've followed Deep Purple from the early days shortly after there break into the North American market with Hush. I have every studio album ever released and many others too. Picture discs, colored vinyl, interview albums, bootlegs, one sided LP's, promos, radio station, Japanese and European pressings etc.
I saw them in concert in 1973, 1984 and twice in 2004. Don't miss this show!!!
The new material done in the last 10 years is great. Steve Morse has taken the band where Blackmore couldn't. Blackmore eventually took DP to the edge of disaster. He's much better off on his own.
The most resent peice is "Rapture of the Deep" (2005) and before that was "Bananas" (2003). Check 'em out when you get the chance.

Cheers, LPN.

Danne55
12-31-2005, 10:08 AM
I believe that Deep Purple where on their hight with Blackmore on the guitar... :p:

As somebody mentioned I can agree that Lord is very skilled, probably the most skilled of the DP members
The playing between Blackmore and Lord is great

Still Life
12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey, did anyone see them on tour within the last couple of years? I'm not sure who played keyboard for them when I saw them (last summer)
I remember he was doing his little solo, and he went into the Star Wars theme or something, it was a little strange

Danne55
01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
It was either Jon Lord or Don Airley you saw..
Airley replaced Lord a couple of years ago I dont know exactly when..

RokyRacoon68
01-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Love Deep Purple, excpecially Child In Time, great song. They're new album:Rapture of the Deep totally sucks though, its the worst release ive heard this year.

Still Life
01-03-2006, 06:25 PM
It was either Jon Lord or Don Airley you saw..
Airley replaced Lord a couple of years ago I dont know exactly when..
it was likely Airley then, it was only a year ago I saw them, not even.

Johnsonville
01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/w/Deep-Purple---Highway-Star?v=JWLNzia90u8&search=Deep%20Purple

RokyRacoon68
01-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Gillian forget the lyrics in that video or what? I heard a mickey mouse mentioned lol? Cool video, heres another classic, one of the greatest songs of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/w/Deep-Purple-child-in-time?v=EiZuclAy3pw&search=Deep%20Purple

Danne55
01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Nice videos :)

I think Gillan is just making up lyrics in the first (Highway star). I can also hear him mention Mickey mouse and a few other things

JimmyStradlin33
01-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Does anyone else think that Bloodsuckers an awesome song?

Johnsonville
01-04-2006, 02:01 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/RBBlues/bg.jpg
Blacmore's Witchy Solo-Highway Star

Johnsonville
01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Blackmore

Still Life
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Does anyone else think that Bloodsuckers an awesome song?
The intro is one of the first things my teacher taught me when I was beginning to learn guitar. Great song indeed

Danne55
01-07-2006, 10:33 AM
^^ The first song I learnt was Smoke on the Water :p:

haha just kidding, I just hate people saying "I can play smoke on the water" and then they cannot...! :p:

sam i am
01-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Love Deep Purple, excpecially Child In Time, great song. They're new album:Rapture of the Deep totally sucks though, its the worst release ive heard this year.

hmmm, i got this for chrismas, its not that bad but they've done many a better album.

Steve Morse is talented but hes not Ritchie Blackmore. His solos seem kinda empty and expressionless.

Jon Lords replacement, Don Airey (still favouring the hammond) is again an excellent musician but again hes not Jon.

Glad to see that thy're branching out from classic rock though. Ian even wrote a song about it, "MTV". Unfortunately its the worst track on the album.

How does this compare to the rest of the Morse stuff? Also, is the MkII re-union album any good? (perfect strangers i think, at least it has that track on it.)

Still Life
01-07-2006, 09:54 PM
^^ The first song I learnt was Smoke on the Water :p:

haha just kidding, I just hate people saying "I can play smoke on the water" and then they cannot...! :p:
surprisingly, I learned Bloodsucker before :confused:
but Smoke on the Water came shortly after, of course. And it is the song I teach anyone who can't play guitar and wants me to teach them something, they learn it right almost every time.

JackWhite1988
01-08-2006, 12:29 PM
DP baby...DP

Best Classic Rock guitarist award goes to Ritchie Blackmore
Best Classic Rock keyboardist goest to Jon Lord
Best Elton John look-alike award goest to Ian Paice (j/k)

They were badass, once the loudest band in the world too according to Guiness Book of World Records.

Am I the only one that likes the quirky "Anyone's Daughter" from Fireball?

Little tid bit factoid:
Fireballs "Strange Kind of Woman" is related to the 1984 Perfect Strangers "Knocking at your Back door". They both talk about one woman by the name of "Nancy".

And did you guys like the song "Knocking at your back door" less or more after you found out what is was about? (Anal sex) Due to my personal experiences since I first heard the song, I like it more now. (thanks babe ;-)

Still Life
01-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Little tid bit factoid:
Fireballs "Strange Kind of Woman" is related to the 1984 Perfect Strangers "Knocking at your Back door". They both talk about one woman by the name of "Nancy".

And did you guys like the song "Knocking at your back door" less or more after you found out what is was about? (Anal sex) Due to my personal experiences since I first heard the song, I like it more now. (thanks babe ;-)
And would you happen to know who this "Nancy" might be? Just someone they made up for the sake of the songs? Or is it based on someone

As for Knocking at your Back Door, I always thought it was about anal sex since I first heard it, but I thought that was just me...and now it has been confirmed, so...I still like it the same, I guess. It is a most excellent song

rhcp_fan2210
01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
u fool thats sabbeth

deep purple are one of the best bands i love the machine head album and cool thing is its my dads C.D

Danne55
01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
^^pretty childish post... :p:

anyway

And would you happen to know who this "Nancy" might be? Just someone they made up for the sake of the songs? Or is it based on someone

I've heard Gillan saying "Strange Kind of Woman" is a true stroy... for the other song I dont know but if it's about the same person then...

Also, is the MkII re-union album any good? (perfect strangers i think, at least it has that track on it.)

It's called Perfect Strangers ;)
It's quiet good I think although Mk II's (and Mk III's) album in the 70s was better, imo

metal_head_#1
01-20-2006, 10:56 PM
dp is one of the greatest cr bands of al time, they fused what would later become metal with classic rock n roll, hippie era rock, and a little funk kind of sound with the keyboard

beau05
01-23-2006, 04:08 AM
deep purple=music to listen to while trippin' on acid

some of there sh*t is so f*ckin experi-mental, nothing's the same, they've probly had more musical changes than David Bowie

Stula1031
01-23-2006, 07:05 PM
What do you mean? I never thought of them as a trippy band at all....

TheUltimateSin
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
deep purple=music to listen to while trippin' on acid

some of there sh*t is so f*ckin experi-mental, nothing's the same, they've probly had more musical changes than David Bowie

:confused:

Wtf are you talking about? You just go ahead and try to listen to songs "Burn" or "Highway Star" while "tripping on acid". Or any of their songs for that matter.

Bands that require you to be tripping on acid to listen to are bands like Iron Butterfly and whatnot. Then maybe you can understand the words at least :p:

By the way, does anyone else like "Burn"? I don't see it mentioned too often and I think it is a really good song that deserves more attention than songs like "Smoke on the Water". Fast-paced rock at it's best, that's "Burn". The damn song is more than 6 minutes long too. I love it :headbang:

Dancing Fool
07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
^ I agree. Burn> Smoke On The Water

TheUltimateSin
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
In my opinion, Smoke on the Water gets way too much hype. It's a good song and all and I like it, but Ritchie displays his talent a lot more in Burn. High-speed electric magic to my ears

deadhead313313
07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
In my opinion, Smoke on the Water gets way too much hype. It's a good song and all and I like it, but Ritchie displays his talent a lot more in Burn.
But, when you think about it, throughout history, popular music hasn't always been the music that best portrayed the artists ability. If its got a good riff, it can be as simple you want, its still going to be popular.

To musicians like ourselves, we (sometimes) tend to go towards the more technically difficult music by a particular artist, but, the vast majority of music-listeners aren't actually musicians.

TheUltimateSin
07-17-2006, 09:57 PM
^Oh I know that, don't get me wrong. Everything I said was from a musician's point of view, being a guitarist like I am. I always look for the more technical and complex pieces by guitarists :p:

I know that it is obvious that non-musicans are pretty much just looking for a catchy beat. Most catchy beats are simple, thats what makes them so catchy(did I abuse this word yet? :p: ). They're not looking for a complex lick or chop nor are they really interested in one.

rayIII
07-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Deep Purple are amazing and so is (what I've heard of) Rainbow

someone check my recordnerd and send me a rainbow album or 2

blues_rocker
07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
But Burn is catchy too, and it's got a wicked riff. And an amazing solo.

TheUltimateSin
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
But Burn is catchy too, and it's got a wicked riff. And an amazing solo.

Exactly! I agreed with everything you just said. :cool:

That solo is teh focking rockzorz. That's why I love Ritchie Blackmore.

rockerman
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
deep purple rocks, i havent heard alot of them though.

TheHeartbreaker
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I've heard Gillan saying "Strange Kind of Woman" is a true stroy... for the other song I dont know but if it's about the same person then...

It is based on a true story, but whether or not the prostitute's name is Nancy, I'm not entirely sure.

Hairy Henry
07-22-2006, 07:25 PM
They're awesome.

People who haven't heard anything other than Smoke on the Water or Black Night, really should listen to more. Lazy is awesome song.
Lazy has everything (Expect it lacks "Witty, Intersesting" lyrics but they still sound cool to me) Perfect rock and roll band really!
Best Keyboard player EVER in the history of the world, Jon Lord inspired me to take up the keyboard But he also made me give up when i realised that he is a million times better than I ever wil be! Ian Gillan has the most superhuman voice ever! Perfect Pitch even when screaming at an amizing high pitch with really cool vibratos.
Blackmore has one of the best tones ever, some of the greatest riffs and solos ever. He is very inventive and original, particulary in his solos. Roger Glover has cool bass lines and lyrical contributions. And as for ian paice SPACE TRUCKIN'! nuff said about that

Danne55
07-29-2006, 05:32 AM
^ I agree. Burn> Smoke On The Water
Burn is one of the best Deep Purple songs. Mk III has some really good songs apart from Burn songs like Stormbringer and Mistreated.

It is based on a true story, but whether or not the prostitute's name is Nancy, I'm not entirely sure.
Gillan tells it during a filmed concert from 1972. The concert is from the time just before recording Machine Head because they play songs from Machine Head and sys it is "the up-coming album".

Dæmönika
07-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Does anyone else like, and I mean really like, Slaves & Masters? I think it was Jon Lord that said it was the "greatest Rainbow album Deep Purple ever released" :haha

Wicked Ways is my favourite off the album, but some of the other songs (The Cut Runs Deep, Fire in the Basement, Breakfast in Bed) are great as well.

ECistheBest
07-29-2006, 04:34 PM
ritchie blackmore is a really underrated guitarist... i personally think he can own david gilmour... gilmour is the opposite of blackmore... really overrated -.-

TheUltimateSin
07-29-2006, 06:07 PM
^Dude.......no. Just no. We had a fairly good flow of intelligent conversation going, and you ruined it with that ignorant gibberish. This isn't about "who is better". This is about Deep Purple.

blues_rocker
08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
^Dude.......no. Just no. We had a fairly good flow of intelligent conversation going, and you ruined it with that ignorant gibberish. This isn't about "who is better". This is about Deep Purple.

Exactly. And They're so different they're impossible to compare.

Back on topic: Who thinks that morse and Lord should exchane licks on guitar/keyboard more often. I just got a Deep Purple DVD with the montreux sets from 1996 and 2000, and my favourite part from the whole thing is when Morse plays something, then Lord plays it back and they get really into it and have tons of fun. It sounds really cool to me, and it made me want to get a keyboard player to jam with.

TheHeartbreaker
08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
ritchie blackmore is a really underrated guitarist... i personally think he can own david gilmour... gilmour is the opposite of blackmore... really overrated -.-

:haha

First of all, they're completely uncomparable guitarists, with two very distinct different styles, that, from time to time, do sound similar, but as a whole are not related.

Also, Gilmour is probably as underrated (or overrated) as Ritchie Blackmore is, depending on your light of whether they are underrated or overrated.

HAVOC 51
08-02-2006, 04:06 AM
Pretty difficult for Morse/Lord to trade as Don Airey took over just after the bananas tour.

Check out rapture of the deep. The best album I've heard in years. The title track is one of rocks finest, nevermind one of purples best.

TheHeartbreaker
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Are Deep Purple touring now?

I'd love to see them live, and I hear Morse is a really great guitarist, but it'd be really awesome if Ritchie got back with them for a while, you know?

TheUltimateSin
08-02-2006, 12:13 PM
^I would very much like to see Ritchie back with them.

TheHeartbreaker
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Have you seen them with Morse?

TheUltimateSin
08-02-2006, 12:39 PM
To be honest, no.

TheHeartbreaker
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Oh, okay.

Neither have I.

TheUltimateSin
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I mean, I've heard some of his stuff and I think he is quite talented. But when it gets down to it, I just prefer good ol' Ritchie when it comes to the band.

TheHeartbreaker
08-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Same.

Tenacious Me
08-03-2006, 06:04 PM
You guys should go check in site feedback. There is a smoke on the water contest. Winner gets to play on stage during the north american tour.

EDIT: sorry I just realized its in every forum.

AdayTripper
08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Awesome band.
I own many many Deep Purple CD's.
Hush though...that got me into music as a whole. I love that song. Blackmore is one of the guitar greats, extremely talented, but he is very underrated. I could never understand why. :confused:
I would say Child in Time is my favorite DP song. Everything about it is excellent.
Strange Kind Of Woman is about one of Ian Gillan's friends, who went after an average looking girl who didn't like him. He was able to woo her and they got married, but 3 days later she died.

TheHeartbreaker
08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
You guys should go check in site feedback. There is a smoke on the water contest. Winner gets to play on stage during the north american tour.

EDIT: sorry I just realized its in every forum.

:eek:

That's awesome.

themadstratter
08-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Morse is a great guitarist...just after hearing Blackmore DP, its hard to take Morse DP seriously. His style compliments the band as it stands. I'm not into his style as much as I am with Ritchie b/c he's more of a fluent, clean/pure classicaly influenced guitarist.

The man lays the law down on guitar...hands down.

i strongly disagree. i've got purpendicular and i hate it. hsi style is too metal for deep purple imo. plus the singer in it doesn't work. i think it's the guy from saxon.

that being said, old school deep purple (blackmore era) is just about the best music made. chil din time. mmm

Dæmönika
08-06-2006, 05:40 AM
plus the singer in it doesn't work. i think it's the guy from saxon.

1) Purpendicular is a good album

2) The singer is Ian Gillan :no:

TheUltimateSin
08-06-2006, 09:04 AM
1) Purpendicular is a good album

2) The singer is Ian Gillan :no:

3) It's his opinion to think the album wasn't good :no:

HAVOC 51
08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Blackmore / Morse are 2 very different styles of player from different generations. Ritchies best for me was the blues based stuff (black night / machine head / etc) before he went on the phase of trying to add classical influences into the songs.

I love the mark 2 line up but I'd still say that Morse's playing on the song "Casscades" (check out live at Olympia CD) is the finest purple solo to date.

clapton-floyd
08-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Was it Blackmore who went on to make Rainbow?

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah.

Here's some more information on Rainbow, if you're curious about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_(band)

clapton-floyd
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Ritchie Hugh Blackmore. My first names is his middle name!

alex_haeni
08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Quick question, i'm going album-shopping today, and i'm getting a deep purple album, i heard highway star is the best one.
True?

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Is Highway Star even an album?

I've never heard of it...

The song Highway Star is from Machine Head, which is often acclaimed as being their best albums.

Go with either Machine Head or Made in Japan to get started.

Dæmönika
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Quick question, i'm going album-shopping today, and i'm getting a deep purple album, i heard highway star is the best one.
True?

Apart from what TheHeartbreaker said, try Fireball as well sometime.

TheHeartbreaker
08-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I was going to recommend Fireball, too, but to start things off I definetly feel like he should go with Machine Head.

HAVOC 51
08-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Get "Live at Olympia". It's brilliant & has a whole host of classic purple tracks that you don't normally get live (Woman from Tokyo/Fireball/deamons eye/pictures of home etc) as well as all the classics you;d expect plus some newer stuff.

From the recorded albums - machine head

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 09:15 AM
What year is Live at Olympia from?

TheUltimateSin
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
For a starter, i would definetly say Machine Head as your first album, maybe with Fireball as a follow-up if you like Machine Head.

Once you get into them more advanced-like, I would say sample Purpendicular, self-titled album(Deep Purple), Burn, and Stormbringer and see how you like those.

TheHeartbreaker
08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
From what I understand, Deep Purple's earlier stuff was quite different from their later stuff.

I've heard that they were more based around Jon Lord and his work on the keys, but Ritchie started to "take over" after poor record sales.

HAVOC 51
08-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Not sure but live from Olympia featured tracks from purpendicular so I'm guessing 12-18 months after that came out.

TheHeartbreaker
08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Okay.

Shreddin 4 Life
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Once you get into them more advanced-like, I would say sample Purpendicular, self-titled album(Deep Purple), Burn, and Stormbringer and see how you like those.

Yeah, Burn is sick album, Stormbringer's pretty good too

But of course, Machine Head is well, the greatest!
:peace:

blues_rocker
08-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Pretty difficult for Morse/Lord to trade as Don Airey took over just after the bananas tour.

Check out rapture of the deep. The best album I've heard in years. The title track is one of rocks finest, nevermind one of purples best.

Yeah, I mean if Morse and Airey traded, but on the DVD I have it was still Morse/Lord.

Heres a question for everyone. If The classic line up was back (MK II; Gillan, Paice, Glover and Blackmore) but you had to get rid of either Gillan or Blackmore, who would you choose and why? And who would you choose as the replacement?

TheUltimateSin
08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, Burn is sick album, Stormbringer's pretty good too

But of course, Machine Head is well, the greatest!
:peace:

I don't know....I tend to have a hard time choosing Machine Head over Burn sometimes. They're both excellent albums IMO and I love them both.

TheHeartbreaker
08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I need to pick up some more Deep Purple albums...

I have heard a lot of them, but the only album of theirs I actually own is Made in Japan.

Well... I have a Greatest Hits, but I don't like listening to Greatest Hits CDs.

928GTS
08-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Ok I just listened to something off of Machine Head and now I remember why I despise that album so much. Its so much less diverse than In Rock and it sounds so thin and missing so many elements compared to the thick as a brick the wide way In Rock. The guitar seems less fat and all tinny and such. Maybe I'm being weird but I'll stick with "Bloodsucker" =/

By the way I in no way dislike Deep Purple. I absolutely adore them its just that Machine Head rubs me the wrong way.

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, you are weird. :p:

I don't know, it's been a while since I've heard the whole album (since I don't actually own it), but I remember most of the songs from it pretty well, and I remember enjoying them.

It's all based on personal taste, though.

RIFF SMASHER
08-13-2006, 09:36 AM
gotta tell ya, the coverdale/hughes years were my faves. even come taste the band i loved, which many a critic did not. Still loved the gillan days, and still do, a little better than Whitesnake, so im not a coverdale fanatic.

Mudmen190
08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I like their bass riffs.

TheHeartbreaker
08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Speaking of bass, their bassist, Roger Glover, shares my birthday! :D

Danne55
08-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Ritchies best for me was the blues based stuff (black night / machine head / etc) before he went on the phase of trying to add classical influences into the songs.

If you mean th classical influences in Mk III albums and the first 3 Rainbow albums, I must say they are the BEST of Blackmore ...

But I do like the Machine Head, In Rock etc time a lot too ... much better than the reunion stuff especially The House of Blue Light, which must be the worst DP album ever ...

Gorey_Sabbath
08-15-2006, 06:34 AM

Hell yea blackmore is underated

one of the greatest guitarist of all time

deep purple great band

child in time and burn best songs

Mudmen190
08-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Ian Gillian has an incredible voice, very under-rated as a singer.
His vocals in Anya and Child in Time blow me away, completely.

TheHeartbreaker
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Definetly.

Gillian's voice is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) he was the member of the band who was in Jesus Christ Superstar.

Correct me if I'm mistaken. :p:

Dæmönika
08-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Definetly.

Gillian's voice is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) he was the member of the band who was in Jesus Christ Superstar.

Correct me if I'm mistaken. :p:

He was. Gethsemane is the only song I've listened to though.

TheHeartbreaker
08-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Man, that's so awesome.

Bloody Headache
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Gillan was awesome but Coverdale really inspires me, I love his vocals on Burn and Mistreated. Admittedly Gillan was probably more consistant but Coverdale proved himself a brilliant vocalist.

AdayTripper
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Ian Gillian has an incredible voice, very under-rated as a singer.
His vocals in Anya and Child in Time blow me away, completely.
Really? Many consider him one of the rock vocal greats.

TheHeartbreaker
08-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Gillan was awesome but Coverdale really inspires me, I love his vocals on Burn and Mistreated. Admittedly Gillan was probably more consistant but Coverdale proved himself a brilliant vocalist.

Yeah, Coverdale was pretty great, but I'm honestly more of a Gillian guy.

Punk Rocker
08-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Kick ass band, I have Child in Time playing while im typing this.

Encore_God
08-17-2006, 02:55 PM
This band formed in my town. True story.

JeffWiredBeck24
08-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Deep Purple wrote more that just Smoke On The Water, I'm talking to you VH1, ****ing ignorant channel.

Anyway, Purp kick ass, although I'm not a huge fan of Mark III, especially Stormbringer. Amazing bassist, guitarist, organist, drummer, singer, they got it all. My Woman From Tokyo has to be my favorite, or Highway Star.

"People who listen to Deep Purple get laid, guys who listen to King Crimson have no chance."

Dæmönika
08-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Deep Purple wrote more that just Smoke On The Water, I'm talking to you VH1, ****ing ignorant channel.

Anyway, Purp kick ass, although I'm not a huge fan of Mark III, especially Stormbringer. Amazing bassist, guitarist, organist, drummer, singer, they got it all. My Woman From Tokyo has to be my favorite, or Highway Star.

"People who listen to Deep Purple get laid, guys who listen to King Crimson have no chance."

1) It's not really just VH1. Listen to their song MTV.

2) It's called Woman From Tokyo, no My. Mk.III wasn't bad, I'll concede not on level with Mk.II but they did release a couple of good albums, Burn and Stormbringer.

3) I like King Crimson as well :sad:

Danne55
08-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Anyway, Purp kick ass, although I'm not a huge fan of Mark III, especially Stormbringer

imo Mk III is the 2nd best DP line-up :p:
They've done some really classic DP songs like Burn, Strombringer, Mistreaded, Might just take your life etc

Fuze
08-19-2006, 11:29 PM
Highway Star, Lazy, Space Truckin', Woman From Tokyo, Hush, Smoke on the Water are all sweet. Machine Head is the best album ever!
and ritchie blackmore is way too underrated.
They are the best band ever!(next to zeppelin).

flyingVai
12-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Kick ass band.

So I'm a huge Morse fan, but haven't heard any of his stuff with DP. What's his best album with them?

Supreme WarHawk
12-15-2006, 01:20 AM
wtf. King Crimson Rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

but Deep Purple do too. Yeah, vocals in Child in Time just blow me away. Great, under appreciated band.

TheHeartbreaker
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM

Man, King Crimson owns!

sam i am
12-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Kick ass band.

So I'm a huge Morse fan, but haven't heard any of his stuff with DP. What's his best album with them?

i have the latest, rapture of the deep. It stands up pretty well to the old stuff actually, although its not the same of course.

Steve Morse is cool, his playing is a lot more techincal than Blackmore's but he has a really distinctive style, for which I admire him.

Master Shake
12-17-2006, 07:26 AM
i have the latest, rapture of the deep. It stands up pretty well to the old stuff actually, although its not the same of course.

Steve Morse is cool, his playing is a lot more techincal than Blackmore's but he has a really distinctive style, for which I admire him.

Please explain how Morse is more technical than Blacker's :haha

get-born
12-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Please explain how Morse is more technical than Blacker's :haha

Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Steve Morse is more technical than Vai! Steve Morse is the greatest living guitarist right now! He can play literally any style of music under the sun like a virtuoso. He has mastered every technique out there, and then some. And on top of that he is a theory god!

That was in the booklet for "Deepest Purple"

TheHeartbreaker
12-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Rapture of the Deep has The Battle Rages On on it, right?

If so, that song is amazing, but is the only song I've heard from that album (or so I believe).

Master Shake
12-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Steve Morse is more technical than Vai! Steve Morse is the greatest living guitarist right now! He can play literally any style of music under the sun like a virtuoso. He has mastered every technique out there, and then some. And on top of that he is a theory god!

That was in the booklet for "Deepest Purple"

How does that explain how he is better than Blackmore?? Plus saying he is the greatest living guitarist right now just sounds arrogant, there is no way you can prove that; have you seen every guitarist? I know he has technical abiltiy there is no doubting that and i dont hate Mr Smiley either but there are plenty of guitarists on you tube that can do the same thing. Plus all he did when i saw him was play the top 4 high strings in roughly the same position where look at Blackmore who is all over the neck doing 6 string sweeps. Also listen to tracks like Possum goes to Prague for something different.
Not that this really matters to me, I would rather listen to feeling which is why I like Blackmore, he has a great combination of both not the best at either maybe but my favourite.

Danne55
12-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Rapture of the Deep has The Battle Rages On on it, right?

If so, that song is amazing, but is the only song I've heard from that album (or so I believe).

The song "The Battle Rages on..." is on the album "The Battle Rages on..." released in 1993 with Mk II's second reunion (the first being Perfect Strangers and THoBL)
I like that song too!

On Blackmore vs Morse (btw vs threads are not allowed :p: ) :

I think Blackmore is way better than Morse. Ok Morse has the technical ability I can agree with that. However there are more things that makes a guitar player great than just playing fast (this has been said before like Page vs Vai and Hendrix vs Buckethead, you get the point).

Honour to Morse for bringing back Purple to some ok songs after some really crappy MkII reunions (and an underrated JLT-lineup in between). However I believe that Blackmore has done PLENTY more things to Deep Purple than Morse ever will.

DieN
12-19-2006, 01:28 PM
There are only two DP-songs I know. Smoke on the Water (don't like!) and Child in Time which I LOVE! Which album should I get?

Danne55
12-19-2006, 04:57 PM
^^ You should absolutely get "Machine Head" and "In Rock". Also check out live album "Made in Japan".

Another good thing you could do is to get a best-of album to hear their most famous songs.

DieN
12-19-2006, 05:38 PM
That's good. I think I'll get In Rock and Made in Japan as those where the two albums I wanted to buy anyway.^^

rastaman_Marley
12-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Deep Purple...as many people have so rightly said one of the best classic rock bands ever, i love how they mix in old blues style riffs here and there and how alot of it is based on the blues

TheHeartbreaker
12-20-2006, 07:09 PM
The song "The Battle Rages on..." is on the album "The Battle Rages on..." released in 1993 with Mk II's second reunion (the first being Perfect Strangers and THoBL)
I like that song too!

Okay, thanks. That's really the only song I've heard of later Deep Purple.

It's awesome, though.

Guitarking1987
12-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Blackmore is the ****ing bomb and his Riffs rock.

sam i am
12-21-2006, 03:08 PM
On Blackmore vs Morse (btw vs threads are not allowed :p: ) :

I think Blackmore is way better than Morse. Ok Morse has the technical ability I can agree with that. However there are more things that makes a guitar player great than just playing fast (this has been said before like Page vs Vai and Hendrix vs Buckethead, you get the point).

Yes, and ironically his neo-classical playing was the largest influence on Yngwie Malmsteens playing, whom I happen to hate, as opposed to Blackmores playing which I love.

get-born
12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
How does that explain how he is better than Blackmore?? Plus saying he is the greatest living guitarist right now just sounds arrogant, there is no way you can prove that; have you seen every guitarist? I know he has technical abiltiy there is no doubting that and i dont hate Mr Smiley either but there are plenty of guitarists on you tube that can do the same thing. Plus all he did when i saw him was play the top 4 high strings in roughly the same position where look at Blackmore who is all over the neck doing 6 string sweeps. Also listen to tracks like Possum goes to Prague for something different.
Not that this really matters to me, I would rather listen to feeling which is why I like Blackmore, he has a great combination of both not the best at either maybe but my favourite.

I was saying Morse was more technically proficent. And I stand by that. In my opinon, he is the greatest living guitarist. I have not seen every guitarist, but if they were better than Morse they woulkd have record deals like Steve has, and I would have heard them. Have you ever watched any Morse videos? He does a lot more than stay in one position. He can play everything, and plays everything tremendously. He goes from country and jazz/fusion with The Dregs, to Rock with Purple to Classical and shred for his solo stuff. Blackmore plays neo-classical rock. I love early Deep Purple, they are one of my favorite bands, and I love Blackmore too, but Morse is a better guitarist.

Master Shake
12-22-2006, 05:36 AM
I was saying Morse was more technically proficent. And I stand by that. In my opinon, he is the greatest living guitarist. I have not seen every guitarist, but if they were better than Morse they woulkd have record deals like Steve has, and I would have heard them. Have you ever watched any Morse videos? He does a lot more than stay in one position. He can play everything, and plays everything tremendously. He goes from country and jazz/fusion with The Dregs, to Rock with Purple to Classical and shred for his solo stuff. Blackmore plays neo-classical rock. I love early Deep Purple, they are one of my favorite bands, and I love Blackmore too, but Morse is a better guitarist.

I have seen Morse videos and live and if you think that its just super he can play every genre good for you, oh wait Balckmore cant do that, he can only play neo-classically!!!! I mean you seriously sound like you dont know your stuff.... I'm gonna take that your a guitarist right so i wont say your a noob who doesnt know what their talking about rather just say i dont think you have heard enough of Blackmore to fully justify your comments.
I also know Morse plays in more than one position, maybe that night he just didnt feel like moving all that much, and played a really boring solo.
And just because someone doesnt have a record deal doesnt make them any less of a guitarist, thats like saying Jessica Simpson got a record deal because she really can sing. I think we both know record deals mean nothing when it comes to true talent these days so that is a pretty lame defence.
I know Morse is technical and good at guitar you dont need to justify that.

Danne55
12-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Well Blackmore certainly plays more than neo-classical rock. Right now he plays acoustic Medieval music. Writning this on top of my head so I couldnt come up with more but you must agree that many songs by both Deep Purple and Rainbow (with Blackmore on guitar) are not neo-cassical rock.

Master Shake
01-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Well he went from blues (being a Hendrix fan) then introduced oriental scales, played neoclassically, pop/rock (he is a huge ABBA fan beleive it or not) then medieval/renaissance/folk even Christmas Carols now ect. I'm not trying to say he promotes more genres than Morse here but hes not single minded and cuts himself off to one genre either. Listen to the live 76-77 era of Rainbow (bootlegs as well) and also like I said before 'Possum goes to Prague' (yes finger picked) until Morse can come up with something like that hes just an average shredder to me. You can think what you want...

TheHeartbreaker
01-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Ritchie Blackmore is a huge ABBA fan?

I can't really imagine that, but oh well!

Danne55
01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
^^ Everybody loves ABBA ( from Sweden ;) )

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, since everyone else is coming clean... I listen to ABBA too, sometimes. :sad:

Guitar0player
01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Well, since everyone else is coming clean... I listen to ABBA too, sometimes. :sad:

ABBA,is sweet.

Bt if I knew what the name ment...

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
It's simply an acronym for the first letters of the band members' names.

Danne55
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
^^ Exactly: Angeta, Björn, Benny and Annefrid --> A B B A

ECistheBest
01-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Deep Purple's the shit

Guitar0player
01-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Deep Purple's the shit

In the good or bad way?

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Good.

get-born
01-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I have seen Morse videos and live and if you think that its just super he can play every genre good for you, oh wait Balckmore cant do that, he can only play neo-classically!!!! I mean you seriously sound like you dont know your stuff.... I'm gonna take that your a guitarist right so i wont say your a noob who doesnt know what their talking about rather just say i dont think you have heard enough of Blackmore to fully justify your comments.
I also know Morse plays in more than one position, maybe that night he just didnt feel like moving all that much, and played a really boring solo.
And just because someone doesnt have a record deal doesnt make them any less of a guitarist, thats like saying Jessica Simpson got a record deal because she really can sing. I think we both know record deals mean nothing when it comes to true talent these days so that is a pretty lame defence.
I know Morse is technical and good at guitar you dont need to justify that.

What genres does Blackmore cover??? Honestly??? Rock, Neo-Classical, Medievel accoustic stuff, and that is really it. I mean he is great, but lets see him play some country licks, or shred his ass of like Morse. How do I not know my stuff if I think Morse is better than Blackmore? And do you know how many indepent, "Guitar" record labels there are??? More than you can phathum. You make this sound like there are only the major record labels that have bands like Mc Chemical Romance or Blink 182, there is so much, its crazy. How do you think Zappa got any Post-MGM, pre-Zappa Records before he had his own studio? Indie labels. If a guitarist is THAT good, then most likely, if he was accually playing gigs, he would be a label.

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Blackmore plays some awesome Blues songs, too.

In fact, Jimi Hendrix was a strong influence on Ritchie's playing.

Dæmönika
01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I shall step into this argument as I have little else to do with my free time.

What genres does Blackmore cover??? Honestly??? Rock, Neo-Classical, Medievel accoustic stuff, and that is really it.

Blackmore - rock, metal.

Morse - rock, metal.

At least as far as "genres" are concerned.

I mean he is great, but lets see him play some country licks, or shred his ass of like Morse.

I've seen Blackmore shred. He isn't perfection, but he's good nonetheless. Morse is (roughly) half Blackmore's age and grew up in completely different musical stages. They are bound to be different.

How do I not know my stuff if I think Morse is better than Blackmore? And do you know how many indepent, "Guitar" record labels there are??? More than you can phathum. You make this sound like there are only the major record labels that have bands like Mc Chemical Romance or Blink 182, there is so much, its crazy. How do you think Zappa got any Post-MGM, pre-Zappa Records before he had his own studio? Indie labels.

Morse has a record deal because he also plays solo. Blackmore never has. I am shit with labels, so if someone can find out anything about Steamhammer, then that's what Blackmore's on with Blackmore's Night.

If a guitarist is THAT good, then most likely, if he was accually playing gigs, he would be a label.

He's playing gigs, but not as a solo artist, therefore he doesn't appear as one name on a record label, he is as his band is named. I don't believe he has his own record label, because quite frankly I don't think he's the sort of person who would look after other projects.

Master Shake
01-05-2007, 06:01 AM
^ hmmm good idea. Plus your sig gave me an idea :p:

What genres does Blackmore cover??? Honestly??? Rock, Neo-Classical, Medievel accoustic stuff, and that is really it. I mean he is great, but lets see him play some country licks, or shred his ass of like Morse

Blackmore was a creator of shed so I’m quite certain he is able to ‘shred his ass off like Morse’ he might not play as fast but he is also very concerned on how it will sound and would rather not let his fingers run away and play like sh!t. But more importantly speed doesn’t matter unless you’re a 13 year old shredder, most people aren’t so naive. Also if you take note that in terms of shredding Blackmore is more technical in this area. Blackmore doesn’t like country so he doesn’t play it, nor do I think it would prove his ability anymore if he did. These are also two very different guitarists; don’t try to compare apples with oranges (genres)

How do I not know my stuff if I think Morse is better than Blackmore?

Thats not what I acctually meant but as I said before, listen to more of Blackmore. Did you listen to what I suggested? You said Blackmore only played Neo-Classically which he obviously doesn’t. Have you even heard anything outside Deep Purple? No discredit to him or the band but that’s no where near his best work, some great songs and improvising, yes, but he was capable of more and showed that in Rainbow.

And do you know how many indepent, "Guitar" record labels there are??? More than you can phathum. You make this sound like there are only the major record labels that have bands like Mc Chemical Romance or Blink 182, there is so much, its crazy. How do you think Zappa got any Post-MGM, pre-Zappa Records before he had his own studio? Indie labels. If a guitarist is THAT good, then most likely, if he was accually playing gigs, he would be a label.

Yes I do know there are many independent labels out there; there is no need to take me as a fool just because I have quite obviously pissed you off. Plus I really don’t see how you could come up with that assumption from my previous post. Also taking that into consideration are you now saying that you have heard every single label out there? Well I know I havent.
I also know many guitarists who are way above what %90 of those with record labels produce. You haven’t heard them, no, but that doesn’t mean they are any less of a guitarist. The truth is, guitarists are a dime a dozen and its no doubt that it’s the band that will get the deal before the solo artist. It is the majority of them that get known with a band and are then able to produce a healthy solo career also generally feeding off that image (not so much in this case). Then there are also many who don’t have a giant ego and play in the shadows and are quite happy playing for the sake of just playing with out the need to try and be a millionaire and be famous. Don’t let your own intentions cloud your judgement of others.

oh and learn to spell mate ;)
Phathum :confused:

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:19 PM

"Phathum"? :haha

ECistheBest
01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
In the good or bad way?

no duh its the good shit
even my dad loved them in the 70s
hes japanese man

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Man, the Japs loved Deep Purple.

ECistheBest
01-05-2007, 06:32 PM
cuz they're GOOD
just like they love the Beatles, Clapton
its just that all people love "Good Music"
i don't think anybody would like "shit music"
xcept those emo kids that don't know what they're doing

Master Shake
01-05-2007, 07:24 PM
cuz they're GOOD

lol

Japanese also get a lot of rare collectable releases because of this. To bad I dont know Japanese :sad:

The recent Rainbow dvd also came with the Blackmore style plectrum but it was also $120 to import so I waited 6 months and paid $10 :p: I didnt get the piece of plastic though :(

TheHeartbreaker
01-06-2007, 01:49 AM
cuz they're GOOD
just like they love the Beatles, Clapton
its just that all people love "Good Music"

I mean, I really enjoy Deep Purple, but the Japanese love them.

I also understand that country has an extremely big underground Metal scene.

sam i am
01-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Blackmore plays some awesome Blues songs, too.

In fact, Jimi Hendrix was a strong influence on Ritchie's playing.

indeed, I read somewhere in their first album that Blackmore just played hendrix licks in a different rhythm to create his own.

and also, Lazy FTW (i dont even know what ftw means but i know its good)

EDIT: I just realised i was the person that started that huge Blackmore/Morse argument. Cool.

Danne55
01-07-2007, 12:00 PM
^^ No not very cool actually :p:

What genres does Blackmore cover??? Honestly??? Rock, Neo-Classical, Medievel accoustic stuff, and that is really it. I mean he is great, but lets see him play some country licks, or shred his ass of like Morse. How do I not know my stuff if I think Morse is better than Blackmore? And do you know how many indepent, "Guitar" record labels there are??? More than you can phathum. You make this sound like there are only the major record labels that have bands like Mc Chemical Romance or Blink 182, there is so much, its crazy. How do you think Zappa got any Post-MGM, pre-Zappa Records before he had his own studio? Indie labels. If a guitarist is THAT good, then most likely, if he was accually playing gigs, he would be a label.

Well he covers a lot in Rainbow if you would have minded listen to them. Progressive metal, metal, pop-rock (is that an English genre?) and ballads for example.

Im not really sure what label means I have to look that up but I think that a label is not the big judgement whether you are a good or bad guitarist...

lead_zeppelin
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
We should open a poll in this thread wich Deep Purple guitarist was the best...
...But everyone will probably vote for Joe Satriani so we should leave him out (he was just a substitute)

blues_rocker
01-07-2007, 04:59 PM
...But everyone will probably vote for Joe Satriani so we should leave him out (he was just a substitute)

Pfft, Morse > Satch too :p: .

TheHeartbreaker
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
indeed, I read somewhere in their first album that Blackmore just played hendrix licks in a different rhythm to create his own.

and also, Lazy FTW (i dont even know what ftw means but i know its good)

Lazy is an awesome song. One of my favorite Blackmore riffs.

get-born
01-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Pfft, Morse > Satch too :p: .

Thank you. :cool:

blues_rocker
01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Thank you. :cool:

Welcome.

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only Morse appreciator. Even in the shred forum he doesn't get much love exept for Tumeni Notes as an alt picking excersize.

sam i am
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM

Yeah i dont think he made a record a record with them, just toured for a while. Wow, just to imagine what it would have been like if he'd stayed on....

If anyones knows weather they released a live album of the performance with Joe I'd be very interested to hear it....

And what of the other dp guitarist, Tommy Bolin? I have only heard one song by his-era deep purple, (You keep On Moving from the greatest hits) and it isnt exactly dominated by guitar so I dont really know what hes like....

Danne55
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Joe Satriani never recorded any albums. He came in and played for a few live shows when Blackmore jumped off during the middle of a tour. After that Morse became the permanent guitarist.

sam i am
01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
pity, I would have loved to here what that sounded like. And just to think what the result might have been if he'd stayed on...

JeffWiredBeck24
03-12-2007, 01:37 AM
pity, I would have loved to here what that sounded like. And just to think what the result might have been if he'd stayed on...

I love Satch, but I don't really think he'd really be the best choice to record a Deep Purple album with. It would just be a barrage of legato and divebombs.

TheHeartbreaker
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a quick question...

What exactly does Deep Purple mean? A friend of mine asked me that today, and I had no idae.

Dæmönika
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a quick question...

What exactly does Deep Purple mean? A friend of mine asked me that today, and I had no idae.

They named themselves after Ritchie Blackmore's grandmother's favourite song, Deep Purple by Peter De Rose.

TheHeartbreaker
03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks. Hey, new avatar! :p:

Smitty370
03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Who here thinks that Rapture of the Deep album is Second maybe even first best album deep purple has brought out? And someone please tab Money Talks, that song f****in' kicks ass! Ever since Steve Morse joined, the band has been ever so good these days. I will probably get criticized for this big time but, Morse is the best guitarist deep purple has ever had.

JeffWiredBeck24
03-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Who here thinks that Rapture of the Deep album is Second maybe even first best album deep purple has brought out? And someone please tab Money Talks, that song f****in' kicks ass! Ever since Steve Morse joined, the band has been ever so good these days. I will probably get criticized for this big time but, Morse is the best guitarist deep purple has ever had.

Yes, you will get criticized because no one can top Ritchie Blackmore. Sure, Morse may be a good technical player, but there's no way he can ever write anything as good as "Highway Star" or "Woman From Tokyo".

get-born
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Morse is a lot more technically profiecent, but DP is Ritchie's band *cough*eventhoughheconsistantlyleavesitallthetime*cough* and Deep Purple isn't really that band we all know and love with Morse, he should stay with the Dregs, where he's better anyways.

daytripper75
03-13-2007, 02:00 AM
i never got into Deep Purple too much, but i like them well enough.

Master Shake
03-13-2007, 08:44 AM

And damn right you will
But then I must also say that this CD you bought and the band that loves to tour raping MKII songs is not Deep Purple at all. Try names such as 'The Ian Gillan band' or 'DP Parody'. Feel free to come up with your own name but they are anything but Deep Purple.

I have no intention to listen to Gillan 'rapping'. The songs are poor, the mixing is shocking and its just all round bad. There is no way a band under any other name ecept that of Deep Purple would get a record deal with that kind of sh!t coated in sugar.

A singer that cant sing and hasnt been able to since the 70's, an old drummer who shows his age, Roger who I beleive has never been anything special, a guitarist that plays with all the warmth of a 'fridge in the arctic' and well Airey.... hes cool. Not the grounds for a really good band imo.

Morse is a good guitarist, technical; yes, but you must also remember that technique isnt every thing. Morse is doing himself no favours other than getting a lot of money kissing gillans ass. He should stick with DD. If you like him fair enough I have no deal with that and he might be your favourite guitarist in this so called 'DP' but saying he is better than Blackmore is asking for 'crit'. DP is Ritchie Blackmore, he was the creative force. A master of riffs a great arranger and left Gillan and Rog to come up with lyrics like 'Big fat tyres and everything' or to see how many words they could think of that rhyme with 'Night'.

I have nothing against DP but they should retire, all it is, is a joke........ not a very funny one I might add.

get-born
03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
^I personally would see them out of respect, even though I do agree with you that Gillian's voice is shot. Morse is good technically, but like you said Blackmore was the driving force.

Danne55
03-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Deep Purple today is (as Master Shake said) a joke. Making albums which best songs never ever would have been included on any DP album in the 70's (and probably the 60's as well, when half of their songs were covers).
On top of that playing bad versions of essential rock songs like Highway Star etc. Three of the "real" (MkII) members are still in, but when the two most important persons (Blackmore, Lord) are out there is nothing to get.

Just want to say that there is plenty of these "joke-bands" out there. On top of my head I can mention Thin Lizzy who is touring while Phil Lynott has been dead for 25 years.

Seeing this is like going to a concert of Dio (the band) without Dio (the singer) singing or seeing Eric Clapton but with someone else playing guitar.

TheHeartbreaker
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, you will get criticized because no one can top Ritchie Blackmore. Sure, Morse may be a good technical player, but there's no way he can ever write anything as good as "Highway Star" or "Woman From Tokyo".

I remember watching a video of Steve Morse play various riffs, and it being highly dissapointing.

I honestly don't enjoy Steve that much.

Smitty370
03-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Morse can top Blackmore now theses days. Blackmore hasn't been doing anything. And Morse couldn't have writen "Highway Star" or "Woman From Tokyo", etc. because Blackmore had already created the guitar part for those songs when Morse was just starting his music career. Blackmore couldn't ever writen "Rapture of the Deep" or "Money Talks". Anyhow this is my oppinion and I prefere the Mark VII group because of Gillan's (the best singer) voice and a new sound to the guitar area by Morse with more distortion.

Master Shake
03-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Morse can top Blackmore now theses days. Blackmore hasn't been doing anything. And Morse couldn't have writen "Highway Star" or "Woman From Tokyo", etc. because Blackmore had already created the guitar part for those songs when Morse was just starting his music career. Blackmore couldn't ever writen "Rapture of the Deep" or "Money Talks". Anyhow this is my oppinion and I prefere the Mark VII group because of Gillan's (the best singer) voice and a new sound to the guitar area by Morse with more distortion.

That is border line not even worthy of a response.....

Im not sure what is worse, the fact that was all completely pointless or that just proves that you dont know your stuff. Please research before posting in here!!

Off course Morse couldnt write Woman from Tokyo just as Blackmore didnt write Money Talks. Thanks Mr. Obvious!!! My life is now complete with that sort of wisdom!

Im just saying this parody brings out a new CD right, they play a few, say 5 of their own songs for a month before reverting back to MKII with only one or two current songs. And they destroy them I might add. They also seem to think they are brilliant. Whats more is Gillan's attitude towards Blackmore is that of a 10 year old, you cant even say he respects him as a guitarist either.

Blackmore has also been touring in his Band 'Blackmore's Night' for the past 10 years...... if you doubt he is technical try pieces like 'Possum Goes to Prague' 'Mond Tanz' (Mr Smiley couldnt write them either!!) Im not trying to say he is better than Morse, I'll leave that to personal opinion but have a listen anyway. Blackmore's best stuff is outside of Deep Purple, try Rainbow too. Its a much better showcase of what TMiB has to offer.

If you truly do like it thats fine as I said before, just dont start to bring up topics you dont know anything about unless you do want to get criticized.

R_H_C_P
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I love Deep Purple, can't believe I haven't posted in here yet.

I bought Live in Japan a few months back, I'm absolutely loving it, especially Highway Star on it, so much energy, and his solo tone is immense! Just his neck pickup and a cranked Marshall?

Sloopy
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
^ I assume you've heard the original version on Machine Head as well? That whole album has amazing guitar tone.

Smitty370
03-15-2007, 02:08 AM
That is border line not even worthy of a response.....

Im not sure what is worse, the fact that was all completely pointless or that just proves that you dont know your stuff. Please research before posting in here!!

Off course Morse couldnt write Woman from Tokyo just as Blackmore didnt write Money Talks. Thanks Mr. Obvious!!! My life is now complete with that sort of wisdom!

Im just saying this parody brings out a new CD right, they play a few, say 5 of their own songs for a month before reverting back to MKII with only one or two current songs. And they destroy them I might add. They also seem to think they are brilliant. Whats more is Gillan's attitude towards Blackmore is that of a 10 year old, you cant even say he respects him as a guitarist either.

Blackmore has also been touring in his Band 'Blackmore's Night' for the past 10 years...... if you doubt he is technical try pieces like 'Possum Goes to Prague' 'Mond Tanz' (Mr Smiley couldnt write them either!!) Im not trying to say he is better than Morse, I'll leave that to personal opinion but have a listen anyway. Blackmore's best stuff is outside of Deep Purple, try Rainbow too. Its a much better showcase of what TMiB has to offer.

If you truly do like it thats fine as I said before, just dont start to bring up topics you dont know anything about unless you do want to get criticized.

What the **** are you talking about. I wouldn't have said anything about this if i didn't know about the topic. You think Blackmore is better and I think Morse is better. Just leave it at that and shut the **** up.

Master Shake
03-15-2007, 06:28 AM
^Real mature comment, but then I shouldnt expect anything different now. And I really feel the need to to shut the **** up now too! Such a poor defence, laughable really....

If you seriuosly know what you are talking about, please explain this comment:

Morse can top Blackmore now theses days. Blackmore hasn't been doing anything.

Yes I think Blackmore is better than Morse but if you actually bothered to read my post you would also find that I dont give a shiny s*** on what the subject is on personal opinion. We could argue who is better Steve or Ritchie but that is just a boring argument that will come to no conclusion. Its really up to you if you want to leave it at that......

As for his tone its a Marshall Major and he probably had a treble booster too ;) BSM make a HS (hornby skewes) style replica that is very good.

R_H_C_P
03-15-2007, 03:04 PM
^ I assume you've heard the original version on Machine Head as well? That whole album has amazing guitar tone.

Yea I have. I think that on the live in Japan album, his tone's much better than in the studio on Machine Head.

Danne55
03-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Blackmore hasn't been doing anything. Have you heard "Blackmore's Night" which he has done for 10 years and most of that work absolutely top the work of Deep Purple Mk VII and Mk VIII

Morse couldn't have written "Highway Star" and Blackmore couldn't have written "Rapture of the Deep" because the other wrote it. Oh my god you must be kidding! Is that really true?

I prefer the Mk II because of Gillan (their best singer) and mainly thanks to Blackmore's and Lord's music.

Master Shake
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Morse couldn't have written "Highway Star" and Blackmore couldn't have written "Rapture of the Deep" because the other wrote it. Oh my god you must be kidding! Is that really true?

Thats exactly what I though too Danne, but I looked it up on the highwaystar and yep, it really is true. I couldnt beleive it myself! In fact I still cant..... :confused:

I also think Blackmore has amazing tone, but I also beleive it kept on getting better through time. Now days its as superb as ever. The man has always had a good ear, even from the old gibson days he was starting to change pickups, rumor is, that he nailed them on :p:

But surprisingly the tone from MiJ was pretty much stock, hardly the case now. He had a few little inbetweens between the guitar and amp but the real stuff started to happen when Dawk got involved. He is also quite high up on the mix too btw ;)

Danne55
03-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Thats exactly what I though too Danne, but I looked it up on the highwaystar and yep, it really is true. I couldnt beleive it myself! In fact I still cant..... :confused:

It's truly unbelievable. We need to get some investigators to solve this problem imitiately! In fact I'm gonna do some research on it now. Wish me luck, I might never come back! :p:

Master Shake
03-18-2007, 01:50 AM
It's truly unbelievable. We need to get some investigators to solve this problem imitiately! In fact I'm gonna do some research on it now. Wish me luck, I might never come back! :p:

That truly is an honourable and heroic gesture. I hope you can find an end to the mystery once and for all. If you dont make it back I will be sure to have a staute built in your honour and also make a special DP day where Morse and Blackmore fans will unite and pay their respects and also ponder how Morse didnt write Woman From Tokyo. Good luck brave Sir Danne, your hard work will be appriciated by many!! :D :D

TheHeartbreaker
03-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Yea I have. I think that on the live in Japan album, his tone's much better than in the studio on Machine Head.

At parts. Some songs I prefer from Made in Japan while others I prefer from Machine Head.

I love the solo from Machine Head for Highway Star, and would take it any day over the live version.

R_H_C_P
03-18-2007, 05:06 PM
^But the tone from Japan is better I think for the Highway Star solo, I can't describe the sound, it's just neck-pickup-tastic. There we go.

TheHeartbreaker
03-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, it simply sounds more "real". The studio tone appears much more processed.

R_H_C_P
03-19-2007, 05:44 AM
^I think you've nailed it.

TheHeartbreaker
03-19-2007, 02:38 PM
:)

Sloopy
03-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Anybody here just love Jon Lord's organ bits? I can't get enough lately.

Master Shake
03-27-2007, 02:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLgF7BDch4M

Nice interview with Blacker's even admitting what songs he borowed/stole riffs/liks from in early DP :p:
didnt mention CiT but anyway.
and also a rather strange Mozart joke...... :haha (im not entirely sure why im laughing :( :p: )

Cheers

Danne55
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Anybody here just love Jon Lord's organ bits? I can't get enough lately.

Heäs probably the best organ player in Rock history.

I really like his and Blackmore's guitar vs organ duels. Can only think of Speed King for the moment but I think you get the point.

Sloopy
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
^ Yeah that's cool.

He's just really innovative and he makes organ/keys not seem to nerdy.

So if I've offended anyone.

Dæmönika
03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Heäs probably the best organ player in Rock history.

I really like his and Blackmore's guitar vs organ duels. Can only think of Speed King for the moment but I think you get the point.

Child in Time and Highway Star had the two best duels.

Sloopy
03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Child in Time and Highway Star had the two best duels.

+1

Carbonated
03-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Questioooon!

I'm sure as all of you know, the third album that was released by Deep Purple (mk1) back in 1969 used a painting by Bosch entitled The Garden of Earthly Delights as the album cover, and the part of the painting that was used on the cover is called "The Hell". I was wondering if anyone knew why they chose this particular painting and especially why "The Hell" section on their cover? Is there a reason for this? I'm pretty sure they were not trying to represent or give out an unwanted image for the band at that point... right? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

("The Hell" part of the painting is represented on the third frame)

Link to painting in question : http://www.artofeurope.com/bosch/bos1.jpg
High-res of painting in question : http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/~litlgirlblue/SoundClass/Bosch.gif
Album cover in question : http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1969/cover_4441111192005.jpg

srowland
03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
my favorite song is space truckin

dont listen much to them though

Dæmönika
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Questioooon! (and so on and so forth...)

I can only assume that Richie liked the triptych, and that part especially.

future rock god
03-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Anybody else going to seem them in April?

Funky M0nk
03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Anybody got any suggestions to what I should download?

I might just go with greatest hits. My friend had a Deep Purple song on his iPod and I played it in his car, he didn't even know what it was. It was like 10 minutes long I think it was called Child in Me....something like that, the solo was insane.

Cptbeefheart
03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Child in Time is the name of that track. I would suggest going with Machine Head first, then working your way back from there.

Master Shake
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Questioooon!

I'm sure as all of you know, the third album that was released by Deep Purple (mk1) back in 1969 used a painting by Bosch entitled The Garden of Earthly Delights as the album cover, and the part of the painting that was used on the cover is called "The Hell". I was wondering if anyone knew why they chose this particular painting and especially why "The Hell" section on their cover? Is there a reason for this? I'm pretty sure they were not trying to represent or give out an unwanted image for the band at that point... right? Any help at all will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Why does anyone chose anything?

its either 1. Ritchie/someone in the band liked/wanted it (even Jon maybe)
or 2. the record company wanted it (maybe they thought it suited it or just plain wanted to use it because they can like DTC)

Im not sure how it would matter either way???

Why do you ask?

Agent_00Funk
03-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Deep Purple are amazing. Too bad theyre only really known for Smoke on the Water. My person fave songs are probably Burn, Highway Star, and Child in Time.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Anybody got any suggestions to what I should download?

I might just go with greatest hits. My friend had a Deep Purple song on his iPod and I played it in his car, he didn't even know what it was. It was like 10 minutes long I think it was called Child in Me....something like that, the solo was insane.

I honestly hate Greatest Hits... I highly recommended buying (or downloading, if you're short on money) albums such as Machine Head or Deep Purple In Rock for studio albums (to start with at least), and Made in Japan as a good live album to start with.

Carbonated
03-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Why does anyone chose anything?

its either 1. Ritchie/someone in the band liked/wanted it (even Jon maybe)
or 2. the record company wanted it (maybe they thought it suited it or just plain wanted to use it because they can like DTC)

Im not sure how it would matter either way???

Why do you ask?

Research purposes. I'm trying to find out if there is any reason behind the painting and why they chose it as their album cover. Other examples would be... Black Sabbath's "The Last Supper", In Flames' "Clayman" album (with the Vitruvian Man on the album cover), Spinal Tap's "Intravenus de Milo" (with Venus de Milo on the cover).

Danne55
03-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I honestly hate Greatest Hits... I highly recommended buying (or downloading, if you're short on money) albums such as Machine Head or Deep Purple In Rock for studio albums (to start with at least), and Made in Japan as a good live album to start with.

I wouldn't say a greatest hits wold be that bad if you want to get into a band. You get to hear their most famous songs.

Though I agree on Machine Head, In Rock and Made in Japan

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't say a greatest hits wold be that bad if you want to get into a band. You get to hear their most famous songs.

Yes, but with many bands, their most famous songs aren't always representative of how they sound overall.

Besides, who hasn't heard most of Deep Purple's famous songs? :p:

Sloopy
03-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, but with many bands, their most famous songs aren't always representative of how they sound overall.

Besides, who hasn't heard most of Deep Purple's famous songs? :p:

Dun Duh Da
Dun Duh Da Nah
Dun Duh Da
Da Duh

SMOOKE ONN THEE WAAATERR!!

Pictures of Home though is my favourite Purple "Gem"

Fireball as well.

TheHeartbreaker
03-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Pictures of Home is my favorite as well. :D

The main riff is so ****ing good!