being in a band really stressful for you?

PDA

View Full Version : being in a band really stressful for you?

geenday409
12-16-2005, 02:54 AM
ive only been in my first band for about a few months, and the really bad idea we had was make a myspace page with really ****ty recordings before we were any good. and all the sudden everyone is criticizing us, one person never wants to practice, and everyone is just making such a big ****ing deal about it. i cant go a day at school without someone making some comment about me being in a band. i know i shouldn't care what they think, and i shouldnt take it seriously, but i do take it seriously. any tips on just forgetting about the stress?

olp07
12-16-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, I would probably not post anything on the Internet unless you want other people criticizing it. Just save the recordings on your computer, that way you can control who listens to it. Don't make such a big deal out of being in a band unless you guys know what you are doing. :no:

geenday409
12-16-2005, 03:09 AM
^^well, we do know what were doing....well...one of us doesnt. i wont point the finger tho.

ark
12-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Youre going to have to keep focused on your band's music and keep improving. The critisism sucks, but you gotta take some of it seriously and strive to do better. Getting a good band together is hard, everyone in the band has got to be 100% for making things work, that means they have to be willing to practice! make a schedule and talk it through with your guys! make a game plan so you guys can start getting better!

and ya, dont stress too much about the crappy recording mixes...it kinda sucks to start off like that, but whatever, start getting better material and better recording then show those off, there will be people who wont give you a second chance...but for those who do, they'll appreciate how much you guys advanced (thats if you advance...)......but ya, first impression is always best....so maybe lay low, practice your assssses off, then showcase yourself when youre ready.

Its a lot of stress band leading, its like an extra job! and if you want your band to be taken seriously, you gotta take the whole band leading job seriously, that means, less fun, more work...but you can make them work tgoether and have fun while you work, it just takes a while to get there....just keep at it, once you start playing/writing/recording music you love, then its worth every bit of the stressssssss

best of luck, peeace

cactus
12-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Dude I made that same mistake last year, but now I learned, just work hard and take critisism well, and if one guy is messing things up, sorry you have to kick him out if he doesnt wanna change. Being in a band means a lot of compromise and a lot of dedication, I used to travel really far just to practice with my band, well anyway good luck with the band.

destroy_hiphop
12-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Stay focussed dude. it'll all come together

geenday409
12-16-2005, 12:31 PM
and 2 members listen to a lot of avenged sevenfold, and metal. and no offense to metal fans, but i really really despise metal. and every single band in town is metal. i hate it. and theres another one who listens to stuff like me (GD, Rancid, Sex Pistols) and he is the drummer who never wants to practice. i feel like im being kinda bossy and forcing em to play punk/pop punk. but i started it as a punk band, so i dont feel any obligation to change really....i mean on the flyers it said who the influences were. whatddo you think on that issue? i mean, can someone get really serious about a band in a genre they dont particularly love?

DevilMayCare
12-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Just wondering whether you knew they were into metal when you put them through the 'mini audition thing', because if you did why would you take them onboard? If not then fair enough.

Remebol
12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
well im sure that if u arent proud of those recordings, you wouldnt give a**** about what ppl say, i mean if u put effort into it and actualy had a sense of pride with in that song, then it would hurt, but honestly dont get bummed out what ppl say, even iifs its ur entire school. My opion is to delete those recordings from ur myspace, and start over and make them a lil better ( after practicing the songs over and over and getting better on the recording behalf). But just with the metal part, you really should be leanant, becuase you cant jsut force someoone to think up of a song of a different genre of what they are confortable in. like you can tell them hey listen up, this band is punk, so try to make it so that punk lyrics can be incorprated. Becuase if you have a song that is full out speed metal, your not going to be able to add punk lyrics or anything to that, so you could make like a punk band with metal influences, unless its like death metal music, cuase death metal and punk dont mix at all

but you dont have to listen to what i say, im just giving you an idea, but it might not work at all, or just back fire in ur face

SG thrasher
12-16-2005, 03:41 PM
you need to chill dude, when i started my band it was just for somthing to do and have fun, dont stress or rush anything either, just enjoy yourself thats the main thing

Final
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
and 2 members listen to a lot of avenged sevenfold, and metal. and no offense to metal fans, but i really really despise metal. and every single band in town is metal. i hate it. and theres another one who listens to stuff like me (GD, Rancid, Sex Pistols) and he is the drummer who never wants to practice. i feel like im being kinda bossy and forcing em to play punk/pop punk. but i started it as a punk band, so i dont feel any obligation to change really....i mean on the flyers it said who the influences were. whatddo you think on that issue? i mean, can someone get really serious about a band in a genre they dont particularly love?

I hope you mean real metal bands. Avenged Sevenfold aren't even close to metal. So you all seem to have different tastes in music.. one thing about being in a band, if you guys all listen to different genres of music, try combining them so you'll all love playing what you're playing. If you feel like you're forcing them to play pop punk, then you probably are. When I was in a jam band with my friends, we all talked about what we wanted to play before actually playing anything. Our drummer was big into indie/punk music, the guitarist was big into metalcore, the other guitarist was big into pop punk, and I was really into hardcore. But we all managed to play something we all enjoyed. That is a really key issue in my opinion, don't just jump into anything, plan out your music a bit. It'll help make everything go alot smoother. Another thing, forget about what anybody says about your music, unless they're actually trying to be helpful. Ignore the people who will say "your music sucks, you posers", but if somebody says anything like "I wasn't impressed at all, one thing I didn't like was.. (insert thing here)", then you should try to improve on what that person didn't like. So just talk to all your band members, see exactly how they feel about the band and the direction it's going in. Good luck with it.

TI_Bryan
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
yes, you can. hell, I'll basically take anything myself, even though I like to play jazz and metal more than any other thing. but I enjoy making music and playing it. that's why I'll take anything

Wannabehippie
12-16-2005, 05:59 PM
You'll always get people, majority of them Chavs, commenting that you're in a band and making fun. But why should you care if you enjoy it and thats what you want to do. I suggest you pick a song you all like and do a cover, this will help you get practice working together as a band and hopefully should improve your sound.

Compromise is a big part of being in a band, if one person doesn't want to practice then fit around it, say for example, your drummer can't go to practice, you and your bassit should Jam, this will help give you a good playing relationship and it will feel easier when you have a big gig, because you will know that you play well together.

I hope that load of crap helped :)

fas11030
12-16-2005, 06:55 PM
first take down the myspace recordings, then have a performance or sumthin maybe battle of the bands (if there is one were you live) after practising alot and put on an awsome show. As far as the guy who doesn't want to practise is concerned, find someone who is just as good as him if not better. Once you do that, kick him out of the band.

fas11030
12-16-2005, 06:58 PM
btw, like SG Thrasher said, do for fun and because you like having a band.

WrathofKahn
12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I dont think it's stressful...but people dont generally bother me about it. Dont let it get to your head, man.

SG thrasher
12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
your supposed to start a band cos you wanna make music and have fun, like theres some loZers at my school and they are all like" Yeah we started a band to be kool" i just looked at them blankly , gave them the "Vees" ,and then walked off. dont ever get stressed about your band unless its the day of your gig and your drummer has lost both of his arms an a freak car accident along with the guitarist and the bassist, then you can stress, and maybe shed a tear or two

Just chill dude, and no i am not a hippy and No i am not high and NO i did not molest that dog :P

fender188
12-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Being unofficially the leader of my band (I write the music, own ALL the equipment, made the site, etc.), It is stressfull when my bandmates try to get it all how they want.

geenday409
12-19-2005, 11:36 PM
and ya, haha, i know its not "real metal" but these guys love avenged seven fold, metallica stuff. , and they think punk/pop punk bands are OK, but not their favorite genre. I make almost all our stuff, make sure everyone goes to practice, and pretty much organize it all. so the issue is more....is it fair to make em play it? or should i make some heavier songs? which i really dont like.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 09:10 AM
You automatically invite criticism when you make stuff available for public consumption. COnsider the source and ignore the non specific "You guys stink", while taking specific constructive criticism under advisement. Sometimes the best advice you can get is the advice is the advice you don't want to hear. "You guys stink" isn't advice, at least not without specifics; it's cruelty so consider the source.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:24 AM
***Closed due to 2005 bump***