cover songs with girl singer

PDA

View Full Version : cover songs with girl singer

AC/DC_07
12-16-2005, 08:23 PM
What are some songs that my band could cover with a girl singer?? preferably rock, pop, and punk.

[KoI]Xero
12-16-2005, 08:27 PM
walking with a ghost - tegan and sara

nighttrain
12-16-2005, 08:27 PM
vixen and lee aaron

SilentDeftone
12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
*moved*

What other instruments do you have available to your band?

-SD :dance:

wonderboy47
12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
The first one that comes to my mind is "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett.

Final
12-16-2005, 08:33 PM
You can cover any song you want with a girl singer. Just because you have a female vocalist doesn't mean you can only cover songs with female singers. I had two "bands" with female singers once, and with one we covered a few Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine songs. With the other we played melodic metal and the girl was great with that too.

rhcp_guitarist
12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
soft rock wud be pretty good (mayer, maroon 5, pete murray)
rock like rhcp oasis and some incubus wud work
mite be hard to get any heavier songs, but depends on the girl

WrathofKahn
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Who says it has to be a cover of a song that a woman already sings? Incubus sounds good...maybe some of the mellower RHCP stuff.

Dutch_Apples
12-17-2005, 04:37 AM
My Humps- Black Eyed Peas

seljer
12-17-2005, 04:46 AM
Magic Dirt - Plastic Loveless Letter
and other Magic Dirt songs

or try some Cranberries stuff

Freunleven
12-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Click here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/josie_and_the_pussycats_tabs.htm), here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/kelly_clarkson_tabs.htm), and here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/avril_lavigne_tabs.htm).

Or, as has been stated already, cover songs that don't originally have a female vocalist. Maybe even take an existing song, say, "Whiskey in the Jar," and re-write it from the perspective of the woman in the story.

:satan:

Peaceful Rocker
12-17-2005, 01:31 PM
When I had a girl singing lead vocals for our band I think it kinda made every song sound less cool, imo

joshsirjoshules
12-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Any Pretenders songs are good, off the first three albums preferably.

cokesodanotdrug
12-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Tsunami Bomb- Lemonade *OR* Barbie Girl
The Distillers- City of Angels
Yeah Yeah Yeah's (don't know if they have any cover songs)

the songs i listed are already covers, so you could try already made covers, or just search those artists and do covers of their original songs.

Baba O'Riley
12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
There are no "set songs" for a female vocalist. The problem with this thread is it is far too general. You are assuming that because she is a girl she will naturally be good at certain songs. So let's switch around for a second. Let's say you had a male singer. Just because you had a male singer that would not mean that he could sing any song any male singer has done in the history of the world.

To properly decide what songs she would be able to sing well you need to find two things: her range and her style. You need to know her range so you can pick songs which have notes in them that she can comfortably sing. (Ex. You don't want a song that is too low for her.) You need to know what her voice is good for because that will help you decide what songs to pick. (Ex. Pavoritti has a great voice which is suited for opera.)

I'm assuming you have not found those things so how can you? Have her try a lot of songs and see what works best.

Good luck :cheers:

Iboseth
12-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Any White Stripes song were the girl sings

EDIT: Try evanscence too

cokesodanotdrug
12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
There are no "set songs" for a female vocalist. The problem with this thread is it is far too general. You are assuming that because she is a girl she will naturally be good at certain songs. So let's switch around for a second. Let's say you had a male singer. Just because you had a male singer that would not mean that he could sing any song any male singer has done in the history of the world.

To properly decide what songs she would be able to sing well you need to find two things: her range and her style. You need to know her range so you can pick songs which have notes in them that she can comfortably sing. (Ex. You don't want a song that is too low for her.) You need to know what her voice is good for because that will help you decide what songs to pick. (Ex. Pavoritti has a great voice which is suited for opera.)

I'm assuming you have not found those things so how can you? Have her try a lot of songs and see what works best.

Good luck :cheers:

She's a girl, girls don't generally sing guys parts not only because it's a guy singing :rolleyes: but because guys usually sing as though they were guys..and if she's a girl she won't want to sing lyrics that would make her seem like a guy :o

so basically just suggest bands that have a female vocalist, it makes the whole process of finding songs to cover easier, they're sung by females so there's more in common between them as far as range of singing and as far as lyrics, she won't have to worry about singing male lyrics...although i guess that part isn't so bad...meh

bassninja
12-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Muse works pretty well...so does REM, Yellowcard...

HIM sounds amazing with a female singer...ummm....

When my band were playing backing to a female singer, I thought most things worked one way or another...you either go for stuff that is
a) Sung by a girl
b) Sung by a guy, but high-pitched
or
c) Go for something low, but get the singer to shift it up an octave. When this works, it *really* works. It also makes the song sound so much more different and original.

Freunleven
12-24-2005, 10:22 AM
As long as the cover doesn't turn out as horribly as Avril Lavigne's cover of "Fuel," you should be okay.

:satan:

Bulletbass man
12-24-2005, 10:38 PM
guns n roses, violent femmes, distillers, yeah pretty much all bands can work if your singer is talented enough

original_rocker
12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
You can cover any song you want with a girl singer. Just because you have a female vocalist doesn't mean you can only cover songs with female singers. I had two "bands" with female singers once, and with one we covered a few Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine songs. With the other we played melodic metal and the girl was great with that too.

You covered Rage with a girl singer? Its hard to imagine that going well....I mean i dont doubt you, i just mean I cant imagine it.
My band has a girl singer, we've covered Audioslave, the offspring, Lenny Kravitz (fly away - this one sounds really good), Jet, Blondie....loads of others

Slash Jr.
12-27-2005, 05:43 PM
You could do quite a few GNR songs. I've heard a few chick singers do it and it sounded great.

2 in mind:

*Sweet Child O' Mine

*Knockin' On Heaven's Door

spbme
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
I agree with bassninja, try something by HIM and sing an octave higher than the original if necessary. I recommend Liquid by The Rasmus. The original has a male singer with a high-pitched voice, and I'm very comfortable singing it (I'm a girl, and I have this same problem when we're šovering songs, too).

:)

fender188
12-28-2005, 11:36 AM
john mayer, soft rock,

Baba O'Riley
12-28-2005, 03:51 PM
She's a girl, girls don't generally sing guys parts not only because it's a guy singing :rolleyes: but because guys usually sing as though they were guys..and if she's a girl she won't want to sing lyrics that would make her seem like a guy :o

Did you read my post? I said nothing about lyrics. I was focusing on song selection from a musical perspective whereas you are looking at it from a lyrical perspective.

But since you brought this issue up... it's often very easy to change lyrics and a lot of the time you could sing the same lyrics and the audience wouldn't know the difference.
so basically just suggest bands that have a female vocalist, it makes the whole process of finding songs to cover easier, they're sung by females so there's more in common between them as far as range of singing h

That's basically just blind guessing. Like I was saying earlier we don't know what she's comfortable singing so a lot of the songs are not going to work. (Ex. some songs might be too high, etc.) However, there is some in truth in what you said about songs that already sung by female vocalists are more likely to be in her range.

cokesodanotdrug
12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
That's basically just blind guessing. Like I was saying earlier we don't know what she's comfortable singing so a lot of the songs are not going to work. (Ex. some songs might be too high, etc.) However, there is some in truth in what you said about songs that already sung by female vocalists are more likely to be in her range.

We know what kind of music the band wants to play, pop, rock, and punk. yea we don't know what kind of singing the vocalist can accomplish, but the whole female singing female parts makes it easier.

YOU my friend didn't read the first post, unless you mean style as something completely different, if you do, explain what you mean cuz I interpreted style as in music style ie. pop, rock, and punk as said.

As for the assumption that a girl would be good at singing songs with a female vocalist, I would have to say that's a VERY safe assumption, perhaps it doesn't always work, obviously people have different voices, but matching female voices with female voices narrows the field down a bit.

I did read your post, you're the one who sounds as though they're blindguessing on some parts.

But you did raise some good points, so rather than continue to discuss like we are, let's ask about the girl!

Threadstarter, how well does she sing, and what is her singing voice like?

Baba O'Riley
12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
We know what kind of music the band wants to play, pop, rock, and punk. yea we don't know what kind of singing the vocalist can accomplish, but the whole female singing female parts makes it easier.

I was referring to her range, not the style of music.
YOU my friend didn't read the first post, unless you mean style as something completely different, if you do, explain what you mean cuz I interpreted style as in music style ie. pop, rock, and punk as said.

I was referring to the sound of voice. For example let's say someone suggests a song that has a "screaming section". If she can't pull it off because she isn't good at that then obviously it's a bad choice. Or she was at that sort of thing in which it would be a good choice.
As for the assumption that a girl would be good at singing songs with a female vocalist, I would have to say that's a VERY safe assumption
No it is not a safe assumption. Like I was saying before if he had a male vocalist that would not mean that that singer would be good at all songs sung by other male singers. Let's say I recommended some Led Zeppelin for that singer. Robert Plant's voice is quite high, but since I know nothing about the range of this singer I would not know if he could hit those notes or not and therefore I'm not effectively recommending songs.
matching female voices with female voices narrows the field down a bit.
Yes I already agreed with that.
I did read your post, you're the one who sounds as though they're blindguessing on some parts.

Care to point out where? :D

But you did raise some good points, so rather than continue to discuss like we are, let's ask about the girl!

Threadstarter, how well does she sing, and what is her singing voice like?

Good idea (and yes I see the irony of me saying this in this post). cokesodanotdrug, let's keep this civil, I know it's easy to get mad on the internet. ;) :cheers:

Threadstarter: do you know what her range is?

cokesodanotdrug
12-28-2005, 05:09 PM
No it is not a safe assumption. Like I was saying before if he had a male vocalist that would not mean that that singer would be good at all songs sung by other male singers. Let's say I recommended some Led Zeppelin for that singer. Robert Plant's voice is quite high, but since I know nothing about the range of this singer I would not know if he could hit those notes or not and therefore I'm not effectively recommending songs.
Well then it's a safer assumption than suggesting bands with male vocalists :p:

Care to point out where? :D
I already did, and you already cleared it up, it was a misinterpretation of the word style

Also, Threadstarter, could you elaborate on punk? I know people that would consider bands like greenday punk..so yea..the genre of punk should definatly be re..re..what's the word...worded? I dunno they should rewrite the definition of punk haha

Dirk Gently
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
You could cover a lot of Jeff Buckley songs, since Jeff Buckley covered a wide variety of female singers (including Nina Simone and Edith Piaf). I think a lot of Buckley's singing is high enough, too, that a woman should be able to sing it comfortably.

guitargirl80
12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Well, as somebody already said, Magic Dirt, but I'm totally biased.

I'm the lead singer of our band, and we cover mainly songs that guys sing. I don't bother changing words anymore, most people don't notice anyway. But female songs that we cover : Malibu - Hole, Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage, Lever - The Mavis's, Don't It Get You Down - Deadstar (maybe a bit soft??), Come Over - Barb Waters & The Rough Diamonds, 500 - Lush... Some of these are real girly songs, my favourite Magic Dirt song to sing is Girlboy, great lyrics and great fun.

But as for covering songs that guys sing and finding it difficult, how about changing the key? Or is the band unable to transpose... I actually find I have to change the key more often when covering girl songs than guy songs, but I guess that's just my voice.

Nedir Kire
12-29-2005, 11:22 PM
try some evanescence (don't mean to be too obvious), lacuna coil, nightwish (if u like goth metal), possibly flyleaf. :p:

Mr.Brown$t0ne
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
anything by paramore

Black Star
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Rush - Freewill, Fly by Night
Coheed and Cambria - A Favour House Atlantic, Welcome Home

Blackout826
07-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a girl singer we did

Misery Business - Paramore
Fully Alive - Flyleaf
Black Horse & a Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
You wouldn't last a minute on the creek - Chiodos
Public Static Final - Jinxed
Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
Keep Holding On - Avril Lavinge

Saofan12
07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
dude try paramore or flyleaf
for song by them like , misery business, pressure,emergency-paramore
cassie,fully alive, im so sick-flyleaf
take r pick they're all great songs to play live with a girl lead singer

wholovesthesun
07-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Try "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin or really any Joplin song.

Retro Rocker
07-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Blondie and Kim Wilde are good.

lagunasunrise
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Te Offspring always sounds awesome with a girl for some strange reason...

Aidy Damage
07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
DAISY CHAINSAW.

www.myspace.com/lovesickpleasure

If that's too brash for you, Queenadreena.

Mikeizzle
07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
When I had a girl singing lead vocals for our band I think it kinda made every song sound less cool, imo

i hate girl singers except in pop (i hate pop but thats the only genre they fit in, no offense)

Johnljones7443
07-23-2007, 11:47 PM
anything by paramore

Please, don't bump old threads. Especially ones that are nearly two years old!! :eek: