Precision vs. Jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Precision vs. Jazz

Kwokinator
12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Whats the difference between the fender precision basses and the fender jazz basses?

thanx guys.

UtBDan
12-17-2005, 12:17 AM
the precision has a thicker neck and is generally less playable but some people prefer it. I am not one of those people.

The main difference is ofcourse the sound; particularly originated in the pickups. The j-bass has 2 j pickups and the p bass has 1 p pickup. Make sense?
The 2 pickups on the Jazz allow it to achieve many different tones, while the P bass really only has two tones: full volume and low volume. And it's not cool like that for anything other than the P-bass tone (see Iron Maiden, Green Day, Jane's Addiction, others).

The J pickup can be called "Single Coil" because... it is a single coil pickup. lol
The P pup can be called "split", split bar, split coil, stuff like that, because...
....because its split in two. Yeah.

Cool, simple, nice stuff.

Kwokinator
12-17-2005, 12:23 AM
thanx

grimreaper65
12-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Well, i preffer a p-bass, cause i have big hands, and the jazz necks seem to small to play properly for me, and i like the p-bass sound a lot. It's true that the jazz has a more varied tone, but i like the p-basses more...

Try to find sound clips of both, and see which kind of sound you like...

TheDistrict
12-17-2005, 04:13 PM
this thread has been done at least 6 times in the last 3 months, so search first

I prefer the pbass because of its warm sound
But I also like the body of a j.
So I got the Fender Aerodyne

ToolBass_dude
12-17-2005, 04:19 PM
the problem is, that its damn hard to recreate a p-bass sound without an actual p-bass. Things like Queen and Good ol' punk rock need a P to sound just right.

But for versatility, the Jazz bass rocks.

mountaindew88
12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Jazz for me.

^^But he's right, you can't get a P-bass sound without a P-bass...

But whatever. I write more than listen, and the Jazz is better for me.

Monkey_Bassist
12-19-2005, 07:57 AM
(sorry if this sounds stupid) Or you could get an Ibanez (SR300,400 etc) and get both sets of pickups, good neck (fast), and active electronics with EQ [I'm getting one for christmas and its an upgrade from a cheap beginner Ashton so I'm sorry to rant].

ToolBass_dude
12-19-2005, 08:24 AM
(sorry if this sounds stupid) Or you could get an Ibanez (SR300,400 etc) and get both sets of pickups, good neck (fast), and active electronics with EQ [I'm getting one for christmas and its an upgrade from a cheap beginner Ashton so I'm sorry to rant].

it won't sound like a P though. not entirely. My Ibanez Has a mm pickup and a jazz. But it still doesn't sound like a musicman with just the pickup.

crazyfool434
12-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Do all J basses have smaller necks? sry to take ur thread

ToolBass_dude
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Do all J basses have smaller necks? sry to take ur thread

on fenders, There are jazz and Precision necks, the Jazzes are always smaller. Some people get P's and switch the neck, some models i believe come with it already. However on other basses it will vary, they won't be using specifically one or the other, moreover one of their own, and how wide/thin it is is down to the company. You can usually find out widths and stuff from websites as well.

Alex

TheDistrict
12-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah the jbass Neck is skinnier, for faster playing
Mark Hoppus bass has a j body, but a P neck, which is weird. I would've had it the other way around.

83lespaulstudio
12-19-2005, 05:00 PM
these two basses share the name, Fender. thats about all they have in common.
two different animals. apples vs oranges. i would like to own both, but right now, i have a Jazz. :cool:

TheDistrict
12-19-2005, 05:06 PM
these two basses share the name, Fender. thats about all they have in common.
two different animals. apples vs oranges. i would like to own both, but right now, i have a Jazz. :cool:

I wish I had a jazz :liplick:
But my Bongo Makes up for that :D

gonzosrevenge55
12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
those bongos are ssWWwwwwEEEEEeeTTTttt.
i've got a sub...and it sounds like a toy compared to the bongo's low end.
it sucks, because as much as i like that punchy sound i get...something smoother would really be nice once in a while. think installing a preamp would help?

anyway, the real point of my question. do the basses with 1 jazz and 1(2) precision pickup(s) adequately recreate the sound of both basses? or is it a whole new thing altogether?

Yertle
12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I much prefer Jazz basses. They have a much more varied, distinctive sound IMO. I have yet to play a precision bass that stood out to me as anything astonishing.

JustRooster
12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
J bass, because i feel its easier to play than the pbass.

ToolBass_dude
12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
I much prefer Jazz basses. They have a much more varied, distinctive sound IMO. I have yet to play a precision bass that stood out to me as anything astonishing.

listen to queen or any old punk- That punchy sound is P bass, and you can't really recreate it with anything else...

UtBDan
12-19-2005, 08:46 PM
those bongos are ssWWwwwwEEEEEeeTTTttt.
i've got a sub...and it sounds like a toy compared to the bongo's low end.
it sucks, because as much as i like that punchy sound i get...something smoother would really be nice once in a while. think installing a preamp would help?

anyway, the real point of my question. do the basses with 1 jazz and 1(2) precision pickup(s) adequately recreate the sound of both basses? or is it a whole new thing altogether?

new sound. my old Ibanez sounded nothing like either.

It's not quite capable of sounding like a J because it doesn't have 2 j pickups, it has one. It's not quite capable of sounding like a P because it still has an active pre-amp (atleast most of the time) and has a 2nd pickup.

If you bought something with 2 SC pickups and one split coil, and a proper switch setup, I suppose that could work. But generally speaking...

J's will sound like J's, P's will sound like p's, mixes will sound like mixes.