Is it legal to host and play in garage gigs?

PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to host and play in garage gigs?

frank694
12-18-2005, 05:17 AM
I was wondering if its legal to just host or play in someones garage? do i need somekind of permit?

UNIe
12-18-2005, 05:40 AM
If the garage is not your's, you definately need a permision :D

TTC
12-18-2005, 09:25 AM
lol ^^

It's legal, but do it when your neighbours are out of town. ( We got alot of complaints and we had to close the garage )

deusexbass2150
12-18-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah probably i mean its YOUR garage but you might get complaints

DevilMayCare
12-18-2005, 02:14 PM
It would probably be best to clear it with your neighbours, or work out a time with them which you could host it. Keep them sweet and you should get less trouble.

EDIT: Just remembered, I've heard 'Noise Permits' or something similar mentioned by some of my friends, I don't know who they apply to...maybe someone could enlighten me

tard on tour
12-18-2005, 02:20 PM
just send a letter to all your neighbours telling them that it will be happening

JMack
12-18-2005, 06:54 PM
try your hardest ot soundproof your garage as well. be somewhat courteous to your neighbors, they have the powwer to call the cops. :)

apc--ibanez
12-23-2005, 01:39 AM
i was wondering this as well. would you be able to get a permit from the council or something because i remember my friend had a party and the council gave a permit or whatever and they were allowed to make as much noise as they wanted up to 11.30pm.

blacksamba
12-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Another aussie!
Ive done some work with my local council and saw something about noise permits. I think it depends on the decibel level, but ive got no idea how youd actually measure that..

cokesodanotdrug
12-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I'd assume you'd need some kind of permit like a noise permit, I know my band was going to host a show at our local baseball fields, we needed a permit for that, but that's slightly different, I guess you should call your town hall and ask or something.

scrambler_66
01-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Galaxy Audio makes a noise checker. I don't have it, but I assume you turn it on, make some noise, and look at the LCD screen to see your decibal readings. Musician's Friend sells it for 50 dollars. Not bad.

Nedir Kire
01-05-2006, 11:16 PM
dude.....
if you have a garage of your own or somewhere outside to setup, use it.

LinoleumDino
01-06-2006, 03:25 AM
its not illegal but your nieghbors can call the cops. but if you can get like a warehouse or something in some kind of an industrial area you can be as loud as you want at any time you want. me and my bandmates pretty much lived in one for a few weeks that we rehearsed and gigged a little in. thats probly your best bet. course i dont know your laws

spike_8bkp
01-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Or you could just play in your backyard, as a get-together all afternoon, and then settle down later and be drunk by 9pm, and not have a damn thing to worry about.

Nedir Kire
01-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I agree with him /\ /\.

fancy_a_cuppa
01-09-2006, 08:52 AM
in the UK you need a license to play live music. i think... i'll dig up the article in guitar magazine.

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 11:10 AM
my band's first gig was a housewarming party in a friend's basement- not exactly a garage gig but the same idea.

we made a point of going around to the neighbours' houses the week before the gig- warned them we were having a party on saturday night, warned them a band would be playing- and provided them with our numbers to call if they felt the noise was out of control. this way if there was a problem they'd call us and not the cops.

the key- unless there are specific bylaws where you live prohibiting loud music without a permit- is to warn people ahead of time and then keep the party and gig down to a dull roar (will 8 do? then don't turn it up to 10...). just be considerate- and you'll be surprised how much smoother things go.