Band Leading

PDA

View Full Version : Band Leading

Caressing Death
12-18-2005, 05:42 PM
My "band" (not really a band yet) wants a manager and I said 'screw that! Why the hell would we want someone to take our "pay" (I seriously doubt we'll be getting paid for a while yet) and to tag along?"
They also think that an agent and manager and all that buisness is the same.
Anyway they say "Fine! You be the manager". So now I've got that responsibility. Any advice or tips or even an explanation of my duties? How do I get this "band" in order?

kerrang
12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
that was a bad idea man. The point of a band manager is to take the load of getting gigs, sorting accomodation etc off band members so they can get on with writing great music

Caressing Death
12-18-2005, 05:55 PM
It'll be fine... I'm willing to work overtime, besides... we wont be doing much serious gigging. I'm also the most enthusiastic.
BTW I'm not posting this in the 'My Band' thread 'cause I'm also asking this as a non' specific question; I wanna know all the duties of a band manager/agent.

SilentDeftone
12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
There is no My Band thread anymore. We got a subforum now. :D

-SD :dance:

smitherson
12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm assuming it cant be too difficult

JMack
12-19-2005, 10:29 AM
^:rolleyes: well that helps.
anyways, if you arent playing any gigs yet, you wont have much to do. especially if you are young. band managers really come into play around your late teens, early 20s, when you can start playing at bars and clubs. then it is the managers job to get the actual gig. it is possible to get gigs withou a manager, but they do save time and work. also, if you hire a new manager, lay down the rules from the start. tell them what they can/cannot do. you hired them, you should be in control of them. dont let them take over completely,

DevilMayCare
12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Look in a library or somewhere and see if you can come across "Everything you need to know about the Music Business" by Donald S. Passman. It covers loads of stuff and isn't actually too bad to read either, it can be applied to well established bands or ones just starting out.

BrianApocalypse
12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
You have a lot of responsibility phoning up pubs and booking gigs. Man, you gonna be behind schedule :(

No seriously, you can deal with this easily. Not only do you have more say and power, but also, unless you embark on a world tour and have to calculate logistics, it's pretty easy. No worries there.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Having been playing for thirty five years and gigging in several bands, here are some things you have to look forward to:

1.) Picking an overall direction. My band has a format of doing radio friendly hits 50s - today. Find bandmates who are on the same page interest wise. If half you guys want to do modern county and the other half want to do strictly metal, for example, huge red flag in my book.

2.) Inventory your gear to see what you need to gig with and communicate to the rest of your band or buy it yourself.

3.) Develop enough guts to be able to let other musicians know if they are consistently screwing up their parts. Probably one of the more distasteful parts of bandleading. Stupid stuff sometimes like letting guitarists know that they're metal zone distortion pedal isn't working on songs like Wonderful Tonight.

4.) COme up with an expectation that this is the agreed on song or set lists and be firm with the guys to do their homework.

5.) Booking your band. Coming up with a demo as needed. Agree to take a percentage, say 15% for new gigs to compensate what will likely be several hours on the phone to get 1st time gigs in a club. Please don't be one of those guys who books a $1000 for a wedding for your 4 piece band and pay the other guys $50. Unless you are a bonafide rock star.

6.) WIth the circle of guys that play with, gigging musicians are happy musicians. GIve yourself a timeline that you are going to have 3 hours of material to go out with.
Again with experienced musicians, guys practicing more then two months in the garage start getting antsy and having second thoughts if there are no gigs in place.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:23 AM
***Closed due to 2005 bump***