Goining/ starting a band

PDA

View Full Version : Goining/ starting a band

gibson_10
12-19-2005, 11:10 PM
Ive been playing guitar for bout a year and a half now and ive been want to be in a band ever since ive started playing. i was just woundering how good i should be before i join one?

TheDuck54
12-19-2005, 11:17 PM
ive been playing for 3 years and i havent even considered joining or forming a band. it seems a waste of time. id rather hone my skills through practice until i am at that all knowing point in my playing to start my own band

ZeRoGuY
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
starting you own band can be quite hard. it's hard when you've only worked with yourself for years and then adding other people's opinons and work into the mix.

as for joining a band, i would say as good as the band your joining. Depends on your style and how well it fits to the genre's you like and the band your considering joining. Try to hear em and see if you can possibly re-create their style. Thanks what i've done.

Ninjacow89
12-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Play with whoever you want to make a band with. If you are good enough to keep up with them go for it, if not you might want to keep practicing.

geenday409
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
you dont have to be very good. just be able to play chords smoothly and some decent leads (dont have to solo). its a good experience, but it can suck.

Murahilin
12-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Ive been playing guitar for bout a year and a half now and ive been want to be in a band ever since ive started playing. i was just woundering how good i should be before i join one?
Did you know:

Playing with others helps you become a better musician? When you play with people that are equal or better, it will go long ways in honing your skills. It will teach you how to work with the band, keep you in time, etc.

tongue untied
12-19-2005, 11:32 PM
you dont have to be very good. just be able to play chords smoothly and some decent leads (dont have to solo). its a good experience, but it can suck.

^ ya, you should be pretty good

its when ppl suck that bands and blink182, fall out boy, and new greenday get formed

Master Shake
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Murahilin is exactly right go for it!!

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I advocate younger or new musicans to start playing with other people as soon as possible Best way to get very good in the shortest amount of time. Rule of thumb" : gigging bands generally know at least 45 songs. Even the pros know that several simple songs are the best way to get a new band ready. Good luck! If it doesn't work right away go back to the woodshed and practice, and try it again a little later. Band breakups, "firings", disagreements are all part of the biz. Develop a thick skin and above all keep playing.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
***Closed due to 2005 bump***