general band leading advice?

PDA

View Full Version : general band leading advice?

mr. cool
12-20-2005, 03:55 PM
ok let me explain the sitution before i start asking questions

it all starts back at the start of the school year me, a friend we'll call frank, and to of our other friends started a band under my amazing leadership however two problems arose that basically ruined the whole thing 1) mike is a considerable better guitarist than me and so he didnt really listen to me or feel the need to inform me of things 2) the other two were dating and well didnt focus well...

so then i join a new band and they kick me out cause i was a third guitarist which i guess is ok i understand

so now i am back with frank and a girl named sarah now the line up will be frank on drums and me and sarah splitting vocals/rhythm and lead guitar depending on the song and how good she turns out to be (we havent heard her play but i am pretty confident that she is a fair to good player from what i have heard) and since frank is on drums i am hoping i wont have the same confrontation with him that i had before.

so does anybody see any problems with that whole thing at this point?

and does anybody have any advice for how to get this thing off on the right foot?

and about keeping things together and being a good bandleader?

and i do know we will be voting on everything and deciding things as a group but is that a bad way to do it cause then there's like no captain or something?

Guitar-God-Elf
12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
well if this "sarah" turns out to be gd then u sudnt hav any problems just make sure she dunt want to do all the solos lol

deusexbass2150
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
i see no problem at this point, try it, see how it goes and the main thing for a band staying together is for all of you to be happy with it.
and generaly it is actually better if you make decisions as a whole instead of just 1 person, that way every one has a say on what happens and you won't be seen as a cruel evil dictator if you make a decision that doesn't agreeb with everyone else

mr. cool
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
after we learn smoking in the boys room just cause its easy and i can already sing and play it and frank knows the drum part to it

we are gonna write a song to get everybody on the same page as far as styles and what style to play

no i said to frank that i would like to do this as a group so that everybody gets a say at least for the first original we do but i find that this is a slow boring process and people get distracted and what not is there anyway to speed it up and make it more interesting?

deusexbass2150
12-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Well i don't know how to make a decision process more interesting and to speed it up i guess you've just got to stay focused

DevilMayCare
12-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Agree that everyone will spend some time writing a bit of the song (a few riffs, or fills or whatever) and then when you go to your next practice collaberate what you've got, and work from there. Keeps everyone involved.

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Seems to work best when someone steps up and makes the final decision on band matters when no one else is willing to do so. And be clear on why.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
***Closed due to 2005 bump***