Rest of band dragging you down

PDA

View Full Version : Rest of band dragging you down

the1
12-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Anyone of you ever been in that situation when if feels like the other band mambers aren't good enough? I've written alot of songs, but I find myself showing the other members the crapper, simpler one because otherwise they can't keep up.How about u?

xrawrockkillsx
12-20-2005, 07:03 PM
i did a thread like this on another forum and they just called me a dick :( but i know what you mean... ive got the same problem

the1
12-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, I wanna meet my full potenial, and I love being in a band with those guys, I just feel that if we all worked harder we'd get somewhere

Beavis_Is_God
12-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah me and my band are having the same problem but with are drummer

Dutch_Apples
12-20-2005, 08:46 PM
This is just another matter of the business. People don't like to admit that they are worse than someone else. I was considered a "dick" in high school because I keep pushing everyone and I was the only musician my age in town who really practiced on a good basis (at that time I was playing guitar about 6 hours a night for 2 years.) Other musicians that tried playing with me keep saying that playing everyday was "boring" or just tried to play what I wrote but couldn't.

I was in a band over the summer in which I quit because some of the guys keep calling me arrogant for pushing the band to it's limit and not accepting mediocore results. That band broke up 1 month after I quit.

Recently, I have finally got a band that I can see myself staying with for a long period of time. The other people know for a fact that I have the most musical experience and while they are all good players, no one really blows me away. But I never set out to be a virtouso. I rather people listen to a band and say "DAMN they are good" instead of "That _____ player is awesome but the rest of the band sucked"

I wrote a song a few months ago on acoustic guitar that has a lot of "difficult"chord changes that sound jazzy. I showed 3 guitarist who were playing with me the song and neither one of them could play it. Instead of getting mad, I came off my principal instrument of synths and played acoustic guitar while the others played their own parts. And it still came out a great song.

Part of being a good songwriter is knowing the limits of the people who are going to perform your song. Don't write hard parts just for the ego boost. However, if you know its to the point where you are writing ridiculously easy guitar parts, you should probably move on to find better performers.

I found out that the performers are really the people who make the song in bands, and I have the demos to prove it. Talk with them about it and ask them if they are willing to practice more. Also offer to give them free private lessons. We once had a band meeting where each member told the others what they really thought of them positively and negative. The drummer said that he wanted to learn from me because he knew I had a lot of experience and knew what I was talking about.

If they get mad when you mention this, they probably can't handle negative comments and you should leave.

Good luck.

mw7
12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
i kind of got that problem. there are two guitarists in the band, me and this girl rachel. the problem is that shes been playing for 3 years and she basically sucks. ive been only playing for a year and im way better, i hate to sound like a dick, but its the truth. she also has really crappy gear and doesnt know any theory and when the band started i wanted to start with a cover, i decided iron man by sabbath, since i know all the parts, and it took me about 20 mins to teach her the chorus part, and the verse part. i would want to kick her out of the band, but one thing, she supplies our bassist with a bass guitar, and if we kick her out the bassist wont have a bass guitar. i dont know what to do..

Scourge441
12-23-2005, 10:45 PM
i kind of got that problem. there are two guitarists in the band, me and this girl rachel. the problem is that shes been playing for 3 years and she basically sucks. ive been only playing for a year and im way better, i hate to sound like a dick, but its the truth. she also has really crappy gear and doesnt know any theory and when the band started i wanted to start with a cover, i decided iron man by sabbath, since i know all the parts, and it took me about 20 mins to teach her the chorus part, and the verse part. i would want to kick her out of the band, but one thing, she supplies our bassist with a bass guitar, and if we kick her out the bassist wont have a bass guitar. i dont know what to do..
Tell the bassists to get his own bass/pool your money together and try to get him one.

SOADfan2021
12-24-2005, 10:04 PM
i know wat u mean dude, the basist in the band im in isnt bread and butter, yea he needs learnin 2 do but hes still my friend. i always stay a bit patient with him

Bulletbass man
12-24-2005, 10:32 PM
dude just wait. Its amazing how fast some kids progress. ANd there is almost always one person in the band thats the best. In my old band i played everyones instruments better than they did but i was just good i guess. Just wait teach em some stuff and hope they get better if they don't then id suggest getting a new band.

the1
12-25-2005, 05:48 PM
lol, we got a new bass player, and we r gonna get anuther guitarist so I can concentrate on vocals, its only the drummer that needs to tighten up/ And a new name. My vocals need doing up, but i hope that'll come with time. I just dont wanna let this fall apart

mw7
12-25-2005, 06:41 PM
lucky dude, most people in my area don't even know what a bass guitar is, and im stuck with a beginner bassist, and a crap ass guitarist

quinny1089
12-25-2005, 08:36 PM
yer, we did have a bassist that was ****...he wouldnt learn songs...wouldnt practice said he wasnt going to get any better...bull****ted alot...

so we sacked him...and got a bassist that is ten thousand times better than the old one

Chuck Mott
08-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Develop the leadership skills to tell these guys they need to start stepping up. Only other alternative is to join other musicians closer to your level. I personally think the best way to develop as a musician is to play with guys who are better musicians then you, or at least as good. If that is the way you feel, trust me when I tell you if you are commited to improving your skills, you will always be disappointed when the other guys aren't consistently playing well. But be honest with yourself about your abilities.

JustRooster
08-21-2011, 12:14 AM
A band is, essentially, a small business. Figure out your resources and what you can market.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Chuck, not sure what the obsession is with 2005, but stop bumping threads from that era.

AlanHB
08-21-2011, 08:15 AM
**Closed due to 2005 bump**