Best songwriter (musically)

PDA

View Full Version : Best songwriter (musically)

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Who in your opinion is the most talented songwriter musically? Just forget about lyrics for a second. I personally think Billy Joel is the greatest. All of his arrangments are fantastic. Captain Jack, Ballad of Billy The Kid, Angry Young Man... the list goes on. Not only did he write all of his piano lines, but he wrote all of the guitar licks and progressions, all of the bass lines, and everything else that goes with the songs. Listen to the song Summer, Highland Falls for some of the greatest musicianship and songwriting ever... its probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard.

Peaceful Rocker
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
John Lennon, hands down

slash_015
12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
oh yeah John Lennon...great. That's right!!!

Raider
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Jimi Page...The Best

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
jimmy page,nikki sixx and johnny cash

UNIe
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
I really think it's Jimmy Page. Hats off

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?

Prophet of Page
12-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, George Harrison, Frank Zappa.

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Man... Billy Joel gettin' no love? Why so hard?

TimiHendrix33
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Jeff Beck
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
Frank Zappa
Syd Barret

Peaceful Rocker
12-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Jimmi Page wrote the guitar parts for Leds stuff, and we aren't talking about the best guitarist.. songwritting, meaning lyrics.. and the overall layout of the song.
So saying Jimmi Page is almost as bad is that one idiot that thought ozzy was in acdc.. lol

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Right... Jimmy Page.... would any of you care to explain why you think that?

uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:22 PM
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
uhhh....hmmmm.....BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK
And this makes him the greatest musical songwriter because? He was an average guitarist and an alright songwriter, but just because he's "JIMMY ****IN PAGE" doesn't mean shit.

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:24 PM
No... NOT lyrics... did you not read my first post. This is STRICTLY about the musical aspect, forget the lyrics.

lyrics or music...BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Not to mention Jimmy Page lifted most of his work from older blues artists :)

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM

so?it made him great,did you know chick berry didnt write his own music or songs?johnnie johnson did,but it still made chuck great

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins
Have you ever actually listened to Billy Joel? Probably not. I'm sorry you need to resort to name calling and insulting to prove your point, I wasn't aware you are 12 years old.

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
iwasnt aware i was 12 either.and yes i have listened to billy joel and he sucks

Burpin'Worm
12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Paul MaCartney. I saw a programme about how he was using lots of different composition techniques that hadn't been used in modern music before, only in classical etc. I hadn't really realised until then how innovative he was. I think one example to composer was giving was the end of Elanor Rigby.

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
so?it made him great,did you know chick berry didnt write his own music or songs?johnnie johnson did,but it still made chuck great
What do you mean so? So if its not his actual music how can he be a great song writer? Exactly. Good day :rolleyes:

12-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Pete Townshend by a mile!

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh well... at least he actually wrote his own music :cool:

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:32 PM
name some songs jimmy lifted

Pl3h-B0y
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
AHEM. nighttrain, not meaning to offend you or anything, but do you know the difference between a piano and a guitar??

Piano:
http://www.doncue.com/weblog/archives/piano.jpg

Guitar:
http://www.jaybuckey.com/Electric%20Guitar.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I think it takes more skill to play a decent song on a piano than on a guitar isnt it??

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Dazed and Confused and Whole Lotta Love are two pretty big ones. Theres a website somewhere that has all of the songs. Ask Derigible he's more knowledgable about Jimmy's thievery.

Maet
12-21-2005, 02:35 PM
My n00bie sense is tingling.....

Anyway, Paul McCartney or the boys of Rush for me.

frippogenics
12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
hmm...

John Lennon
Frank Zappa
Robert Fripp
Ray Davies

And the boys of Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young extending to all the groups they were in.

Probably some I forgot too.

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 02:50 PM
AHEM. nighttrain, not meaning to offend you or anything, but do you know the difference between a piano and a guitar??

Piano:
http://www.doncue.com/weblog/archives/piano.jpg

Guitar:
http://www.jaybuckey.com/Electric%20Guitar.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE!!

I think it takes more skill to play a decent song on a piano than on a guitar isnt it??

OMG I WASNT AWARE THEY WERE DIFFERENT :eek: and yes it probably does take more skill to play piano.some asswipe starts a thread asking who someones favorite musician is,they they start pointing out they stole this they sound like that while the person they like is like the man of steel,hes untouchable.if it wasnt for led zeppelin,**** knows where music would have went.jimmy page writes simple riffs which to me sound better than any 10 min guitar solo thingy that malmsteen or vai plays,and no im not saying those guys suck.take a look at the beginning of zeppelins bring it on home(i know its a cover) and rock and roll,little blues licks that were used and still are used in blues and rock n roll and always will be.and if the artists who jimmy "lifted"his stuff from thought he stole it,wouldnt they have sued him?eddie van halen learned to play guitar by lifting every clapton lick and putting it into his own style,and clapton never sued him.SHAME ON EDDIE AND JIMMY

Pl3h-B0y
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
But there's no denying it, jimmy did steal some songs and made them into his own, then claimed it was his, just like bob dylan took poetry and made them into his own songs (i think)

trey-col89
12-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm an asswhipe because I wanted to know why people favored certain musicians and why they felt that the musicianship of that person is better than others? All you did was come in here and suck Jimmy Pages dick saying something along the lines of "BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****ING PAGE". So i said just because hes Jimmy Page doesn't mean ****. Then you felt like you had to insult me and the person I picked, which is why I brought up the fact that he stole songs from people. Download the song Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes which came out years before Zeppelin's. I mean, come one, they didn't even change the name. The riffs are the exact same.

frippogenics
12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
But there's no denying it, jimmy did steal some songs and made them into his own, then claimed it was his, just like bob dylan took poetry and made them into his own songs (i think)

I don't think many of the riffs or the actual "songwriting aspect was stolen." Usually it's just lyrics that Plant took. There are a couple cases or so, like Black Mountain Side or Dazed And Confused. I still think he was a good songwriter, definitely not the best though.

Prophet of Page
12-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Actually, Page didn't discredit the original artists, Atlantic records did. I'll admit Page didn't do too much to stop them doing it, but it was still Atlantic that was responsible.

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm an asswhipe because I wanted to know why people favored certain musicians and why they felt that the musicianship of that person is better than others? All you did was come in here and suck Jimmy Pages dick saying something along the lines of "BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****ING PAGE". So i said just because hes Jimmy Page doesn't mean ****. Then you felt like you had to insult me and the person I picked, which is why I brought up the fact that he stole songs from people. Download the song Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes which came out years before Zeppelin's. I mean, come one, they didn't even change the name. The riffs are the exact same.

oh well it still made him great

Pl3h-B0y
12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Well then, there you go, frippogenics pwned me. But come on we're going off-topic. Wouldnt roger waters be a good songwriter? not saying he's the best, but he was good.

Prophet of Page
12-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Well then, there you go, frippogenics pwned me. But come on we're going off-topic. Wouldnt roger waters be a good songwriter? not saying he's the best, but he was good.

Roger Waters is an incredible writer, both musically and lyrically.

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
who care if they stole this and that.it made zeppelin great and it made their songs great.if it bothers you so much napoleon dynamite,use your brothers time machine,go back to 1969 and stop page from stealing the songs.

Jesse Mrau
12-21-2005, 03:10 PM
^Well, first off: This thread is about musical songwriters/arrangers. And you blatently said Jimmy Page, nobody would have cared so much IF you put a reason down, and when you were asked you said: "HE'S JIMMY ****IN PAGE!!", hypothetically with your reasoning...I could be the best: "IT'S JESSE ****IN MRAU!!" there. Now am I the best? No! Did that statement make me? NO! And another thing, it wouldn't be so bad, if Jimmy Page and the rest of Zeppelin maybe gave credit where it was due.:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Now, I am not a Jimmy Page, so I will say where I got that information from: http://www.warr.org/zep.html

And, anywho I am done. But I haven't given my opinion yet, so I would say: John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival, his songs are just so simple, that people would ask: "Why had it never been done before?" Or Simon & Garfunkel, for their shear brilliance.

Maet
12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
who care if they stole this and that.it made zeppelin great and it made their songs great.if it bothers you so much napoleon dynamite,use your brothers time machine,go back to 1969 and stop page from stealing the songs.

:haha :haha :haha :haha :haha

Is there such a thing as the UG n00b awards? Oh please tell me such a thing exists!

nighttrain
12-21-2005, 03:21 PM
^Well, first off: This thread is about musical songwriters/arrangers. And you blatently said Jimmy Page, nobody would have cared so much IF you put a reason down, and when you were asked you said: "HE'S JIMMY ****IN PAGE!!", hypothetically with your reasoning...I could be the best: "IT'S JESSE ****IN MRAU!!" there. Now am I the best? No! Did that statement make me? NO! And another thing, it wouldn't be so bad, if Jimmy Page and the rest of Zeppelin maybe gave credit where it was due.:

"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
"Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
"Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
"Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
"Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
"Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
"Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
"How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
"In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
"The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70s and settled out of court.
"Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
"Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
"Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
"White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
"Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."

Now, I am not a Jimmy Page, so I will say where I got that information from: http://www.warr.org/zep.html

And, anywho I am done. But I haven't given my opinion yet, so I would say: John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival, his songs are just so simple, that people would ask: "Why had it never been done before?" Or Simon & Garfunkel, for their shear brilliance.

hmmm now i gotta look for all those songs,thanks for listin em all :haha

Uncle Salty
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
What's with all the people who can't spell "Jimmy Page" and then naming him as the best songwriter...
Anyways I like George Harrison and Joe Perry

Jesse Mrau
12-21-2005, 04:20 PM
hmmm now i gotta look for all those songs,thanks for listin em all :haha

You are very welcome, go ahead and listen to them. And what kind of Zeppelin fan are you that you still need to look up: Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Since I've Been Lovin' You, The Lemon Song, Dazed And Confused, Communication Breakdown, and Moby Dick. Those are basically Zeppelin's most famous songs! Wow, you say Jimmy Page is the greatest songwritter/arranger ever, but if you need to look up those songs, then I am unsure whether or not you have heard ANY Zeppelin before! And don't come back at me saying that: "I meant the other songs!" because in you post you say "all those songs".

^ And I forgot about George Harrison, all of his songs with The Beatles are my favorites, and I love his solo career too, especially Cloud Nine.

Uncle Salty
12-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I think he means the songs they ripped off

Jesse Mrau
12-21-2005, 04:22 PM
^ Read my long post, the songs I named in my last post are all in there. They were all ripped off.

deadhead313313
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
I gotta give the nudge to Frank Zappa on this one. Absolutely amazing composer of music

JimmyStradlin33
12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
To be fair a lot of those songs listed are suspicious claims. Not defending Page at all but Plant stealing the lyrics from Never by Moby Grape really hasn't got much to do with his songwriting. This is the case with a lot of those examples. Anyway in response to the post i would say Clapton, due to his staggering amount of original work with a band and as a solo artist.

Bulletbass man
12-21-2005, 04:40 PM
i would have to say Zappa when it comes to composing music and naming kids Zappas the best

Evil Kid 93
12-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Okay, enough about Jimmy Page, somebody's gonna get stabbed if this goes on (seriously, don't be surprised if a Led Zep elitist comes to your house and has a knife in his hand, those fuckers have problems). I happen to be a huge Zeppelin fan, but even I can admit that Page stole music. But people have been arguing this for a long time, it's getting old. Yes, Page stole music, that's true. Big fuckin' deal. It was 30 years ago, get over it.

And nighttrain, your seriously need to shut the hell up and get off these boards before you look like even more of a douche than you already do, and that'd be near impossible at this point.

Well, now that my rant is over...the best songwriter IMO is Paul McCartney. He could write such beautiful, enchanting melodies, yet at the same time he could churn out a solid pop song that could be simplistic and satisfying, and nothing more. Great examples are (from the Beatles, I don't own any of his solo stuff) 'For No One' (awesome melody) and 'Drive My Car' (great pop song). Awesome, awesome songwriter.

misfits385
12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Bob Dylan.

BrainDamage
12-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay, enough about Jimmy Page, somebody's gonna get stabbed if this goes on (seriously, don't be surprised if a Led Zep elitist comes to your house and has a knife in his hand, those fuckers have problems). I happen to be a huge Zeppelin fan, but even I can admit that Page stole music. But people have been arguing this for a long time, it's getting old. Yes, Page stole music, that's true. Big fuckin' deal. It was 30 years ago, get over it.

And nighttrain, your seriously need to shut the hell up and get off these boards before you look like even more of a douche than you already do, and that'd be near impossible at this point. :golfclap: well said. I'm also a big Zep fan.

anyway...tre-col, I agree with you that Billy Joel was a great songwriter. And as expected, I'm also going to say Roger Waters. Even if it's a predictable answer from me, the man is a great songwriter :p: .

EDIT: I have to get this in...
i bet the only reason you said billy joel is because his name is so close to that fag in green day.and how many piano players did billy joel inspire?about 2?how many guitarists did jimmy page inspire?about 25,000.jimmy page wins you sir, are an ass :cheers:

KurtandKrist11
12-21-2005, 07:14 PM
These aren't exactly my favorite songwriters, but I think some of the most influential are Billy Joel, Elton John, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend and Roger Waters. If I had to choose favorites though I'd go with Lennon, Townsend, Waters and two of my personal favorites, Ritchie Blackmore and Joe Walsh.

JethroTullfan72
12-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Paul McCartney
John Lennon

Iruleeverything
12-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Pete Townshend, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Roger Waters, Frank Zappa

Those are all my favorite songwriters.

unkabonka
12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
lyrics or music...BECAUSE HES JIMMY ****IN PAGE YA STUPID SHYLOCK

You are an idiot.

McCartney and Harrison my favorites... they really are AWESOME... Macca gets a lot of credit but George is often overlooked... however I notice on this board people do appreciate George's talents :cheers:

ledzepsux26
12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Freddie Mercury
Jimi Hendrix

golfskip
12-22-2005, 01:01 AM
no, If you think Billy Joel sucks you've got a lot to learn!

Best song writer ever? John Lennon-na maybe 2nd best ,I'll go with his
old writing buddy-PAUL M.

fatarse1
12-22-2005, 04:07 PM
freddie mercury had his music written first than sang vocally that is hard to do and i think it is amazing

fuzzy navel
12-22-2005, 04:34 PM
your all a bunch of idiots.you ask someones opinion on they favorite musician,they get pissed off when someone gives you their answer.yes jimmy page stole a **** load of songs from other artists,but hes still a good musician.yes billy joel is a good songwriter and musician.grow the **** up and stop sitting on your asses all day on UG bickering back and forth about stupid things that happened 30 ****in years ago.now go ahead and do your little quote and say"you ma'am,are an idiot,you ma'am,are an ass".the only reason you jack offs type **** like that is because you know the other person is right and you cant think of a dumb **** comeback,so you have to insult everyone to feel good about your worthless lives.you ask"who do you think is the best songwriter(musically)?then when someone gives their opinion,you have to be a dick and say WHY?IF YOU DONT LIKE SOMEONES OPINION,DONT ASK SUCH STUPID QUESTIONS.and to answer whoever says is there such thing as n00b awards,yes their is,it goes to you and all the other idiots that use the word n00b.you goddamn kids these days have no respect for anything.you need to bitch about this or complain about that.if you like a person as a songwriter,go listen to their music insted of sitting here all day bitching like a 6 year old who cant get their own way.

FreddieMercury
12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Me

Evil Kid 93
12-22-2005, 04:43 PM
your all a bunch of idiots.you ask someones opinion on they favorite musician,they get pissed off when someone gives you their answer.yes jimmy page stole a **** load of songs from other artists,but hes still a good musician.yes billy joel is a good songwriter and musician.grow the **** up and stop sitting on your asses all day on UG bickering back and forth about stupid things that happened 30 ****in years ago.now go ahead and do your little quote and say"you ma'am,are an idiot,you ma'am,are an ass".the only reason you jack offs type **** like that is because you know the other person is right and you cant think of a dumb **** comeback,so you have to insult everyone to feel good about your worthless lives.you ask"who do you think is the best songwriter(musically)?then when someone gives their opinion,you have to be a dick and say WHY?IF YOU DONT LIKE SOMEONES OPINION,DONT ASK SUCH STUPID QUESTIONS.and to answer whoever says is there such thing as n00b awards,yes their is,it goes to you and all the other idiots that use the word n00b.you goddamn kids these days have no respect for anything.you need to bitch about this or complain about that.if you like a person as a songwriter,go listen to their music insted of sitting here all day bitching like a 6 year old who cant get their own way.

I don't think you should go calling people stupid when you can't even type a coherent sentence. Let's see...you didn't capitalize anything, there are no spaces in between your sentences, and you completely restated everything that everyone else in the thread already said before. What, are you borderline retarded or something? You go and type up this shitpile of a rant in which you basically bitched at everyone incoherently, and then you tell us to grow up?

Fuck off, we settled this already.

(And by the way, I'm not saying this because I "know the other person (you) is right", I'm saying it because you are, unfortunately, an ass.)

Stop Messin'
12-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Eddie Van Halen, Nikki Sixx, Joe Perry, Steven Tyler, Angus/Malcolm Young are my favorites.

Sgt_Pepper27
12-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, intresting thread so far.

Lennon/McCartney(do i even need to explain)
Jagger/Richards (underrated)
Billy Joel (for you threadstarter :), however I do consider him a great songwriter)
Gilmour/Waters (arrangements,music,lyrics outstanding)

that is all for now.

me_and_my_esp
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
i think you all know what i am gonna say...

Pete Townshend. i just like how he could make such simple songs (a lot of classics are A, G, and D proggressions) and still make them into huge songs and how, especially in Who's Next and Quadrophenia, he made great use of synths. i like his work because it shows that you dont have to have 5 hour/ 500 mph solos and insanely tough riffs to make a classic songs (take Baba O'Riley and Wont Get Fooled Again, for example).

Seeing as how i listen to music other than the Who, there are some others i really like.

Roger Waters
Paul McCartney
Ray Davies
John Lennon

im not listing the reasons for the above 4, cause they are just obvious genius'

hippiemusic101
12-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Lennon
&
Waters

mercedesisbenz
12-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Waters/Gilmour Duo hands down?

i didnt think there was much questioning in that..

Sgt_Pepper27
12-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Lennon
&
Waters

Woah! When i saw that i instantly imagined a Waters&Lennon battle with Gilmour&McCartney, ooh that would be good, dont you think so?

I'm a sad little kid, sorry for wasting your time.

Izz
12-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Tom Petty=)

BrainDamage
12-22-2005, 07:18 PM
^^simple, yet effective. I love it :)

Seeing as how i listen to music other than the Who, there are some others i really like.

Roger Waters
Paul McCartney
Ray Davies
John Lennon

im not listing the reasons for the above 4, cause they are just obvious genius' you listen to other music than the Who :eek:

:p:

barfy2000
12-22-2005, 07:32 PM
jimmy page,nikki sixx and johnny cash

one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesnt belong

mexican_shred
12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Mercury and Brain May.

For insrumentals Malmsteen but eh.

trey-col89
12-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Billy Joel (for you threadstarter :), however I do consider him a great songwriter)
Haha thank you.... seriously though... he's just a musical genius. His arrangements are unparalleled. Scenes From An Italian Resturant? Its GENIUS. And he wrote all of it.

sirpsycho85
12-22-2005, 10:02 PM

most? people exaggerate so much when they make arguments. he was not an "average" guitarist. you can fault him for stealing several song arrangements, but thats a testament to his character not his guitar playing. saying more than that is really stretching the truth bc you don't like the guy.

billy joel is a pretty good choice, i didn't know he wrote the music for the other instruments as well. scenes especially, i love it. i'm thinking maybe pete townshend, though, and if it wasnt CR, billy corgan.

whoever said petty...one of the best 3-chord songwriters ever

me_and_my_esp
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
you listen to other music than the Who :eek:

:eek:

unlike other people

trey-col89
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah... he wrote all of the guitar lines, bass lines, and string arrangements as well as the piano lines. A true genius he is.

barfy2000
12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
As weird as both of these guys are, Prince and Michael Jackson both deserve some props...even thought they aren't CR... :p:

VChilli
12-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Ill go with Tom Petty and John Lennon

Stop Messin'
12-23-2005, 12:35 AM
:down: VChilli for having the greatest avatar ever.

me_and_my_esp
12-23-2005, 01:24 AM
:down: VChilli for having the greatest avatar ever.

:haha :haha

:down: yes! all hail VChilli's avatar!!

Stop Messin'
12-23-2005, 01:38 AM
:haha :haha

:down: yes! all hail VChilli's avatar!!

We're not worthy, We're not worthy!!
:down: :down:

me_and_my_esp
12-23-2005, 01:48 AM
:haha i laugh easily when im half asleep... that and i am horribly easily amused

The UG Squirrel
12-23-2005, 05:32 AM

What makes you think that?

I'd say Waters, and Zappa, though I'm no classic rock guru.

bodyheatseeker
12-23-2005, 07:17 AM

Dipshits like you are the reason people in here hate Zeppelin, you plonker.

Gilmour and Waters how they put together those amazing songs everything just flowed perfectly with their stuff

VoodooChild15
12-23-2005, 09:14 AM

He lifted a PORTION of the LYRICS from old blues artists on the FIRST TWO albums. Anyway, he's got my vote as well. Listen to Ten Years Gone.

daft
12-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Paul MaCartney. I saw a programme about how he was using lots of different composition techniques that hadn't been used in modern music before, only in classical etc. I hadn't really realised until then how innovative he was. I think one example to composer was giving was the end of Elanor Rigby.

Yeah I saw that aswell, when the guy was speaking about the Plagal Cadence (like an Amen ending of a hymn) of Eleanor Rigby. I always wondered though if Paul McCartney meant it, or if he got it by accident.

Burpin'Worm
12-23-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd been thinking about that, whether he did it instinctively or if he'd been studying some other music or heard something that he tried to imitate. God it would be great to talk to him about it.

That guy, Howard Goodall I think he's called should make more progarammes on TV.

BrainDamage
12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
:eek:

unlike other people :mad:

whoever said petty...one of the best 3-chord songwriters ever :cheers:

danocaster
12-23-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna go with Paul McCartney, Mozart and Charlie Parker...and JiMi PaIgE!!!11

VChilli
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
me_and_my_esp how can you be easily amused when u post at 5:48 in the morning? Id be going ape**** if i were up that early...

me_and_my_esp
12-23-2005, 09:02 PM
:haha

these times must be ****ed up, because i posted that at 1:18 in the morning in Michigan (eastern time zone)

zep123
12-23-2005, 09:27 PM
bob dylan

or

john fogerty

or

bruce springsteen

me_and_my_esp
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
:mad:

:haha actually i wasnt refering to you :D

FreddieMercury
12-23-2005, 10:08 PM
yea bob dylan was decent

j1mi_h3ndrix
12-23-2005, 11:02 PM
fricken steve vai

guitarecrazy
01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
jeff buckley- brilliant
damien rice brilliant
bob dylan- ' ' ' ' ' '
goo goo dolls- ' ' ' '
paul mcCartney' ' '
George harrison ' ' '

the best in my oppinion can only be John Lennon.

lamf89
01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Lennon
McCartney
Bob Dylan

DieN
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
David Bowie is the best songwriter. (imo)

lukef
01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Lou Reed (better at the three chord stuff than petty, imo)
David Bowie

OR Joe Jackson.

And damnit yes, Billy Joel too.

Ace_Frehley
02-05-2006, 10:07 PM
jim morrison listen to the lyrics to the end and you'll see wat i mean

trey-col89
02-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Why the **** would you bring this back? And you couldn't even follow the directions correctly.... this was related to the instrumentation alone... I even said in the first post to disregard lyrics. Jesus Christ

Noosie
02-05-2006, 10:22 PM
The King of Queen of course is one of the best Songwriters of all time Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the Greatest Recording/Songs ever made along with songs such as Nevermore and March of the Black Queen.

R.I.P. Freddy

the glue man
02-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Dave Gilmour
Roger Waters
Sid Barrett
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page

Rock1986
02-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Neil Young- listen to Cortez the Killer, Cowgirl in the Sand, Harvest Moon, Like a Hurricane ect. you'll know what I mean
Jimmy Page, he DID stel a lot of music, BUT he also wrote alot of awesome stuff
DAvid Bowie- He's just awesome
Freddie Mercury- also awesome

frippogenics
02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
jim morrison listen to the lyrics to the end and you'll see wat i mean

His drug-induced ramblings don't constitute great lyrics. By the way, what trey-col said, we're talking musically here...

Voodoo_Chile42
02-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Lennon/McCartney, Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Leiber/Stoller.

The Shawah
02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
john lennon and Page nough said.

Griswold
02-06-2006, 12:39 PM
I think there should be a Jimmy Page thread, so many threads descend into arguments over whether or not he was a genius.

Anyway, my nomination goes to Frank Black for the stuff he did with the Pixies. His solo album "Honeycomb" is pretty awesome too.

Master Of Shred
02-06-2006, 12:42 PM
mm lemme see:

mike oldfield
j.s. bach
ludwig van beethoven
w.a.mozart

common, none of the guys mentioned in the thread even come close to these ones ( all beethoven's symphonys for an example, or check out oldfield 'tubular bells' if you dont believe me ;) )

MuRph83
02-06-2006, 12:44 PM
neil young in my opinion

Griswold
02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Right, can you think of one more Mike Oldfield piece that's really good?

I have all of Beethoven's symphonies, Bach's "St Matthew's Passion" and a couple of string quartets by Mozart. I'd still rather listen to the Pixies. Plus, symphonies aren't really songs in my opinion.

I'll stick with Frank Black.

JackWhite1988
02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Bruce Springsteen...best songwriter ever

joshsirjoshules
02-06-2006, 08:13 PM
...That one dead guy? He was definitely the best...

kmaster 1337
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Mr Pete Townshend and neil young for me.

Bloozy
02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Best Songwriters: For me they are McCartney, Dylan, Lennon, and Paul Simon. (Jagger/Richard are up there pretty high too)

DireStraits
02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Zappa and his 60 some albums...

zeppelinfan2009
02-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I think there should be a Jimmy Page thread, so many threads descend into arguments over whether or not he was a genius.

Anyway, my nomination goes to Frank Black for the stuff he did with the Pixies. His solo album "Honeycomb" is pretty awesome too.

agreed and thr is one :P

yeah too many arguments... y cant we all just love the music god...

For the record

John Lennon/McCartney

and

jimmy page

Prince_Marquis
02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Jimmy Page, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan.

Yes I said Jimmy Page. Shall we have another bull**** argument about his "Theviery" or can we all just make decent posts, and stay on topic? Anyway the thread starter (who may I add is being very dumbass like), and Nighttrain, (another genius) started the whole debate in this thread.

ridcullylives
02-08-2006, 01:34 AM
i think you all know what i am gonna say...

Pete Townshend. i just like how he could make such simple songs (a lot of classics are A, G, and D proggressions)

A lot? Pretty much all of Who's Next is that same progression/riff... ;)

Won't Get Fooled Again, Love Ain't For Keeping, Baby Don't Do It, I Don't Even Know Myself...Bargain (although it's in E instead of A)

Not to mention Magic Bus and The Real Me

But I still love it. And Pete manages to make all these songs seem so different. Except I Don't Even Know Myself, which is basically Bargain + harmonica - synth.

But, um...Paul McCartney hands down. His lyrics may be stupid and his songs can slight, but he never, NEVER fails to come up with a beautiful melody. And when he gets emotion and good lyrics behind his tunes, then it becomes absolute genius (see Hey Jude).

groll01
02-08-2006, 05:22 AM
john lennon
paul Mccartney
George harrison
ronnie lane
steve marriot
harry vanda
george young
stevie wright
Ray Davies

are some of my favs

dream{M}theater
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Roger Waters
(Whoever writes the lyrics for The Eagles. Anyone care to tell me who? Love his lyrics)
John Lennon
John Petrucci
Jimmy Page

And, yes. It IS in that order

Cirrus Minor
02-08-2006, 06:49 PM
......Wow, you're a total jackass. Billy Joel is great, his songs are very musical.

I would choose Paul McCartney
Billy Joel
Elton John (melodically)
Paul Simon

trey-col89
02-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Jimmy Page, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan.

Yes I said Jimmy Page. Shall we have another bull**** argument about his "Theviery" or can we all just make decent posts, and stay on topic? Anyway the thread starter (who may I add is being very dumbass like), and Nighttrain, (another genius) started the whole debate in this thread.
Why the insults... what have I done to you? And second, the reason I asked why he thought Jimmy Page was the greatest, is because I named someone, and made an argument why. The next 4 or so people just responded "JiMM YI PAaGE!2!@! LOLOWTF!!@1"... so I asked why everyone thought that. So that douchebag gives me some bull**** excuse like "because hes Jimmy Page".... maybe if he had started an intelligent debate, I wouldn't have had to resort to the thievery comments.

Good day to you :)

Bloozy
02-08-2006, 07:47 PM
>>The Eagles Lyrics<<

Those guys shared the song writing and sang their own songs for the most part. Don Henley, Glen Frey, and Timothy Schmidt (on occasion) wrote the songs.

FaceTheBass
02-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Paul McCartney
Pete Townshend
Eric Clapton
The Allman Brothers

Prince_Marquis
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Why the insults... what have I done to you? And second, the reason I asked why he thought Jimmy Page was the greatest, is because I named someone, and made an argument why. The next 4 or so people just responded "JiMM YI PAaGE!2!@! LOLOWTF!!@1"... so I asked why everyone thought that. So that douchebag gives me some bull**** excuse like "because hes Jimmy Page".... maybe if he had started an intelligent debate, I wouldn't have had to resort to the thievery comments.

Good day to you

Hmmm... Last I remember I didn't single you out. My post was directed to you and Nighttrain. Stupidity hurts my brain. When my brain hurts I tend to insult the orgin of stupidity. Two people bickering over a stupid argument is the source of idiocy. You should have taken control, and told him to get back on topic or shut up. However I will apologize to you since you are the brighter one, and are able to keep your composition. Good Day to :)

nz_matt
02-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Were forgetting bob dylan here!

Why did i know this would end up in an arguement over whether jimmy page wrote lots of his songs or not - GET OVER IT

bat69420
02-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Were forgetting bob dylan here!

Why did i know this would end up in an arguement over whether jimmy page wrote lots of his songs or not - GET OVER IT

It always ends up that way. Id say david gilmour. Page produced things and played guitar. Gilmour wrote the near entirety of most of the pink floyd songs i think.

BrainDamage
02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
It always ends up that way. Id say david gilmour. Page produced things and played guitar. Gilmour wrote the near entirety of most of the pink floyd songs i think. not quite...

dragoon_mage2
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM

yeah and hendrix stole All Along the Watchtower and made it his own didn't he??????

Pl3h-B0y
02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
^WTF?
No, It's called covering a song.
Jimi just added the solos and that funky tone and all that ****.
Bob was impressed by it, he played it in his later shows (as we all know)

BreakingTheGirl
02-13-2006, 02:46 PM
ANTHONY KEIDIS
RHCP
hands down

Sherman901
02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Roger Waters
Dave Gilmour
Bob Dylan
Lennon

The Shadow
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Paul McCartney has a real gift for writing great melodies.

BreakingTheGirl
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
John Frusciante!!! For sure!
( i take back keidis )

Angus76
03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Neil Young is my most favorite song writer.

Mr. Eko
03-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna say

McCartney
Townshend

ktulu71
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
i really like stuff roger waters wrote

Messer
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
The Grateful Dead, man. They are an amazing band musically. They can play blues, blue-grass, rock, counrty and just bout anything else. Their music goes along with the mood. It's like it sings with Jerry. The same way with Jimi Hendrix. IMO, I think his guitar playing sings for him. They are both very talented musically.

As trey-col89 said way back in front pages of this thread, Billy Joel. Very, very good. Another person along with the piano that I will say is Elton John.

Pink Floyd is an amazing band when it comes to music. A good example for them is DSOTM. That album is just amazing, breath-taking. One of my all-time favorite albums. The music on that album speaks to you when you listen to it. I love it.

blues_rocker
03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Frank Zappa is a great musician musically. His instrumentals just blow me away, he has some great composition skills.

Two_Sandals
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Jimmy Page really can't be called the greatest songwriter but rather an excellent song arranger since a lot of the music that is popular, he didn't write, but improved on. And this is coming from a huge Zeppelin fan.

I would say John Lenon is the best songwriter with Eric Clapton and close second

trey-col89
03-02-2006, 10:13 PM
John Frusciante!!! For sure!
( i take back keidis )
Okay... first of all, you bumped this thread up after it was dead for the second time, let it rest. Secondly, you didn't even name someone in classic rock.

Raginscotsman
03-03-2006, 12:52 AM
David Bowie by a long shot. Space Oddity, Suffragette City, Ashes To Ashes...etc.

DieN
03-03-2006, 09:02 AM
David Bowie by a long shot. Space Oddity, Suffragette City, Ashes To Ashes...etc.
:rasta:

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
03-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Tom Waits

Tom Waits is very underrated. He's a great a song writer and lyricist, IMO he's equally as good as Dylan.

zeppelin_maniac
03-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I think Bob Dylan is the greatest of them all just all of his songs are so great and make me listen to the music.
Some other great songwriters:
Neil Young
The boys from Rush
Lennon/Mcartney
Jagger/Richards
and......

Jimmy Page. :)

MacTavish
03-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Stevie Wonder

Petunney
03-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Its gotta be Phil Lynott (From thin lizzy)

born to run
04-12-2006, 04:08 AM
Bruce springsteen, Bono and John Lennon

manthtscrazy
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
jimi hendrix

curtis loew
04-15-2006, 12:05 PM
nikki sixx

AICriff008
04-15-2006, 12:20 PM
People seem to be forgetting that this was started with music, not lyrics in mind...

Best Songwriters [Music]:
- Frank Zappa
- Allman Brothers [Entire Band]
- Jimi Hendrix

Best Songwriters [Lyrics]:
- Neil Young
- Bob Dylan
- Neil Peart

ledhead73
04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Musically, no one can touch Jimmy Page as a writer. He understood better than anyone the importance of eclecticism and the use of dynamics. Look at a song like Ten Years Gone or The Rain Song. Simply perfect. However, no one beats Bob Dylan as far as lyricists go. I'm not even a Bob Dylan fan, but I know he's the best at what he does.

Guns_41
04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Cat stevens hands down.

FreddieMercury
04-16-2006, 08:46 AM
brian may what he did during every song just fits in and sounds great what more do you need

hobo467
04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I haven't seen too many modern artists mentioned.

I've heard amazing things about Maynard James Keenan (Tool); personally (at risk of being majorly flamed), I'd say Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy. Before you flame me; read their lyrics from older albums sometime and you'll see why I think so. Also, Matt Thiessen from Relient K is incredibly clever when he writes lyrics; both are fantastic.

deadhead313313
04-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I haven't seen too many modern artists mentioned.
:haha Probably because this is the Classic Rock forum

i hate rap
04-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Who in your opinion is the most talented songwriter musically? Just forget about lyrics for a second. I personally think Billy Joel is the greatest. All of his arrangments are fantastic. Captain Jack, Ballad of Billy The Kid, Angry Young Man... the list goes on. Not only did he write all of his piano lines, but he wrote all of the guitar licks and progressions, all of the bass lines, and everything else that goes with the songs. Listen to the song Summer, Highland Falls for some of the greatest musicianship and songwriting ever... its probably the most beautiful song I've ever heard.

ok, first your name is trey_col which is the drummer for Green Day. now you say that "Billy Joel" (Billie Joe) is the most talented songwriter. you are such a closeted Green Day fan. don't even lie.

radio_schizo
04-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Ray Davies. He's definatley one of the greatest songwriters ever.

Also his brother Dave is very underated too. "Death of a clown" is one of my favorite Kinks song.

BrainDamage
04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
ok, first your name is trey_col which is the drummer for Green Day. now you say that "Billy Joel" (Billie Joe) is the most talented songwriter. you are such a closeted Green Day fan. don't even lie. :haha hahahaha

Antroid
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I dont know why but i think Don Mclean's a brilliant song writer, cant argue with his lyrics O_O

Rubin Remus
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Jeff Buckley should definately be mentioned, and how about Ryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and Tom Petty, not forgetting the Beach Boys of course...

PatrickJR
04-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Even though his lyrics don't always make sense, Neil Pert writes a sh** load. And some of them are great! Along with being one the or maybe Thee best drummer in the world.

Rubin Remus
04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
I'll look into him. I'm ignorant of his work... :D

TwistedLogic
04-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Paul Macartney (sp) would be nowhere if it weren't for George Martin, who on a few occasion stated that the Beatles had no clue what they were doing when he began working with them. Yet to be mentioned brillian song craftsman, Steve Winwood. Not the best ever but very skilled.

wangmaster
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Anthony Keidis or Jon Bon Jovi

hippieboy444
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm sayin jimmy page is the best musician ever. heres my top five:
1.jimmy page
2.jimi hendrix
3.john lennon
4.roger waters
5.mick jagger

fishboneul03
04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
jeff buckley, gregg allman, john McLaughlin

Rubin Remus
04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Yay! I got a second to Jeff Buckley! This thread seems to have been revived! Hurrah!
I think this is one of the best threads possible.

I would also like to add to my previous listings Eric Clapton, Jim Croce, Ray Davies, Robbie Robertson (The Band) and I would like to second the George Harrison listings too.

I need to listen to more Jimmy Page...

wangmaster
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Marc Bolan or John Bon Jovi, though it could be Anthony Keidis...

Rubin Remus
04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Marc Bolan is definately worthy, not sure of the Bon Jovi thing though, since I find their music rather dull and samey, the same applies to Bryan Adams! :)

Elton John should be in the list too...

TwistedLogic
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
I do not know for sure if this is right but I love David Gilmour's solo's. He writes very lyrical music that goes perfectly with the music and mood being created by Waters. WYWH is just brilliant, especially the first four movements of Shine on you crazy diamond part I.

angus69
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Malcom Young ( just listen to ac dc riffs ) , and of course jimmy p.

muralichoudry
04-27-2006, 01:57 PM
well..
john lennon inarguably, ronnie van zant and roger waters

muralichoudry
04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I do not know for sure if this is right but I love David Gilmour's solo's. He writes very lyrical music that goes perfectly with the music and mood being created by Waters. WYWH is just brilliant, especially the first four movements of Shine on you crazy diamond part I.
David is one and the only less contributed Floyd member when it comes to lyrics my friend. That was the reason for the failure of Pink Floyd music after the departure of Roger. He's a great guitarist and one of very good vocalists of rock. Dont' you know, the media and Roger says 'For david gilmour, It takes ten years to write a song'.

les_paul_01
04-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Neil Young, for his ability to write great simple songs, Jimmy Page for his ability to write some of the greatest rock songs of all time, and Mick J. and Keef for the same reason.

Zevious Zoquis
04-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Well, I've had a look at most of this thread and seen lots of big names. I'm astounded at a few of the names that I haven't seen mentioned though. What about Van Morrison, Lou Reed, or my personal choice - Richard Thompson, all of whom have been responsible for some of the greatest songs I've ever heard...

y2james2005
04-29-2006, 08:19 AM
all great suggestions-also great songwriters are thom yorke, noel gallagher and richard ashcroft

Gabuydachk
04-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Jeff Beck

invincibleneo
04-29-2006, 06:12 PM
All the regular names mentioned.

I know its a classic rock section but I thing Green Day is worth a mention here. They've done fantastic work which will go down in history like all these guys u people are discussing.

I think the greatest songwriter there ever was (Musically) is ENIGMA.

Plz listen to his music bfore commmenting on this. Michael cretu the sole man behind enigma makes all of his music all alone. Excluding singing, which too he does a lot. He is the only artist I know whose on the charts for 16 consecutive years. 16 ppl, 16. Its a long time. In 16 years time a small baby girl grows old enuf for action!! I truly believe he will be apprieciated once he is long gone. just like J.S. Bach. Thats when people will realize how he has invented NEW things in music which went unnnoticed.

TheHeartbreaker
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Musically speaking, I'd say some of the best musical composers (bands) of the Classic Rock era are...

Led Zeppelin
Carlos Santana
The Allman Brothers Band
The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Yes

JackWhite1988
04-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Bruce Springsteen

Sherman901
04-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Paul Macartney (sp) would be nowhere if it weren't for George Martin, who on a few occasion stated that the Beatles had no clue what they were doing when he began working with them. Yet to be mentioned brillian song craftsman, Steve Winwood. Not the best ever but very skilled.

Of coure The Beatles had no idea what they were doing... they were just starting. It takes experience to figure out what to do.

Noosie
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Freddie Mercury simply because he had such unique arrangements for every song he ever wrote for instance the obvious Bohemian Rhapsody and other songs like the March of the Black Queen and Somebody to Love all different in style with extrodinary musicianship behind every bit of it

mercedesisbenz
04-30-2006, 02:34 AM
For classic writers I'd have to agree with Billy Joel, and maybe John Lennon. Nowadays though, Steve Vai's composition is beyond the comprehension of most musicians breathing, as well as Eric Johnson's.

And to the guys who keep arguing(sp?) about Jimmy Page stealing work, chill out, it doesn't make it bad music just because he didn't write it. He essentially did make the songs his own, but I still agree he should have done more to have Atlantic give credit to the originals.

P.S. - If you're gonna claim Jimmy Page as the best songwriter ever, at least spell his first name right...

TheHeartbreaker
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM
^^:cheers:

Couldn't agree more with you on anything you said.

I haven't heard much of Vai, but what I have heard is pretty good. Johnson work is also sweet, and a lot of it is due to his pursuit of perfection.

I also agree with everything you said on Page - even though it was wrong to "steal", in no way does that make his music bad.

distilledspirit
04-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Best Songwriter Award goes to Jimmy Page. Ever hear of Physical Graphiti?? I rest my case.

rjspats
05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
2 canucks write fantastic stuff both musically and lyrically

gord downie-tragically hip

tom cochrane

Pharoah
05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Roger Waters fo' shizzle! :D

TheHeartbreaker
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess I'll add a few more to my opinion...

The Beatles
The Doors
Steely Dan

The Who #1
01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Townshend by far than bob dylan

laxman38
01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
dave matthews. amazing guitarsist/singer, very deep lyrics to go with his great guitar slinging

RHCP94
01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Well, if we were talking lyrics I'd definitely say Dylan, but we aren't so...

Springsteen
David Bowie
Lou Reed

For classic rock, at least.

A Rolling Stone
01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Beatles
Dylan (even the music was amazing)
Elton John
Rolling Stones

Saif Mehdi
01-19-2009, 04:18 AM
John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Black Francis and Kevin Shields.

volcom_sk8_rock
01-19-2009, 04:23 AM
I'm struggling between Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young but I'm going to have to say Neil Young hes an amazing songwriter not to mention one of the most unique voices I've ever heard.

CobenBlack
01-19-2009, 06:24 AM
brian may

the prophets song
whiteman
who wants to live forever
bijou
death on two legs
procession (all played on one guitar - ****in impossible)
innuendo

not to put my opinion above anyone elses - but its worth him being noted

ripple07
01-19-2009, 06:32 AM
John at the bar is a friend of mine, he gets me my drinks for freeee.

To answer the question, Jimi Hendrix, tied with Neil Young.

ohhey9040
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
No one thinks of Stevie Wonder as a good songwriter, but he was absolutely amazing. He was able to blend the harmonic sophistication of jazz with the catchiness of pop music so well without having the pitfalls of either.

Honorable mentions would go to Dylan, Neil Young, Nick Drake, Lou Reed, and all of the Beatles (excluding Ringo)

DownInAHole.
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
I really enjoy alot of stuff that Steve Howe wrote. And, naturally, Frank Zappa.

Oh, and... DONALD FAGEN.

UNIe
01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
My current favorite ones are: Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Dave Brubeck, John McLaughlin, Mark Knopfler and Frank Zappa. Oh, and how could I forget Bruce Springsteen!

TDMize15
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Paul McCartney really cannot be matched. His melodies and progressions and piano parts, bass lines, guitar riffs, etc. are just incredible and beautiful. And he wrote some very complex and unique stuff.

And of course Pete Townshend... who wrote some pretty intricate songs in Quadrophenia and other places.

Steve Winwood and Billy Joel deserve a mention too.

Big Light
01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I think Clapton is the best songwriter. Paul McCartney and John Lennon are good, but I can't really get into most of their songs.

Kylianvb
01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm missing this one in a lot of lists:
Jim Morrison

Also I'll go with Clapton, McCartney, Vai and Tenacious D.

volcom_sk8_rock
01-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Tenacious D, cmon they are super lame gods of rock, satan, lightening bolts they are just plain cheesy even for a joke band.

UNIe
01-21-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm missing this one in a lot of lists:
Jim Morrison

Also I'll go with Clapton, McCartney, Vai and Tenacious D.

Yeah, Doors had amazing soundscape in their songs. Just the way they played and combined instruments was amazing. And though their songs were based on simple and cliched chord progressions, they made them their own.

FreddieMercury
01-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Tenacious D, cmon they are super lame gods of rock, satan, lightening bolts they are just plain cheesy even for a joke band.
Not going to lie i really like them. Jack black has a very good voice compared to some people

2trouble
01-24-2009, 09:43 PM
McCartney/Lennon/Harrison(not given enough credit) - Their songs have great melodies

The Young Bros. (AC/DC) - Simple riffs yet rockin songs

Murray/Smith (Iron Maiden) - Their intricate sounding guitar parts gave Maiden a unique sound

I've also read that John Paul Jones had alot to do with Zeppelins arrangements and such.

Pete Townshend

Led Pepplin
01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
John Lennon/Paul McCartney

TwistedLogic
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM
great song writers should include:

Gilmour and Waters of Floyd

Elton John

Neil Schon and Steve Perry of Journey

Blackmore and Dio of Rainbow

Springsteen

Jimmy Page

Steve Howe and the other members of Yes.

All in all; for classic rock David Gilmour is my favorite and for hard rock / early metal I would say Page is mmy favorite. Ya he may have stolen alot of blues standards but an objective listent to Physical Graphitti and tell me its crap; cannot be done.

eberg2
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
billy joel

UNIe
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
McCartney/Lennon/Harrison(not given enough credit) - Their songs have great melodies

The Young Bros. (AC/DC) - Simple riffs yet rockin songs

Murray/Smith (Iron Maiden) - Their intricate sounding guitar parts gave Maiden a unique sound

I've also read that John Paul Jones had alot to do with Zeppelins arrangements and such.

Pete Townshend

Ohh, they had their credit getting times... ;]

omarkandah
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
page (i should just say all of zepp)

and another one, is John Frusciante. just released the greatest album ever to be released since i was born. (1993)

turnstiles27
01-28-2009, 02:14 AM

:cheers:

Billy Joel is one of my all time favorites. I'm very glad you mentioned "Summer, Highland Falls" as that is a brilliant and terribly underrated song. Lately I've been listening to a lot of The Nylon Curtain, fantastic album.

As for my FAVORITE songwriter, it'd be a three-way tie between Lennon, McCartney and Harrison. McCartney's gift for catchy and beautiful melodies is unrivaled ("Yesterday", "Here There And Everywhere", "Getting Better") and John balanced these out with his harder, darker, more complex, but also very beautiful works ("Happiness Is A Warm Gun", "Because", "Hey Bulldog"). I include Harrison as well because he wrote a number of my favorite Beatles Songs ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Within You Without You", "Love You To"), and his eastern influences gave the group a completely new and revolutionary direction.

fireoptic
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Get cancer.

Billy Joel is a PHENOMENAL musician.

And half of these posts need to be deleted, the topic starter said songwriters MUSICALLY. I would have to say Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir and Phil Lesh, most of their original songs were so out there for the time period. Definitely Robbie Krieger and Ray Manzarek.

UNIe
01-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I have just listened to some Billy Joel's songs, since I'm new to his music. It's really good, creative and arranged beautifully but I wouldn't say he's better than say Bruce Springsteen, because everything Joel plays is made from Rock'n'roll and 80's Pop.

fireoptic
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I have just listened to some Billy Joel's songs, since I'm new to his music. It's really good, creative and arranged beautifully but I wouldn't say he's better than say Bruce Springsteen, because everything Joel plays is made from Rock'n'roll and 80's Pop.

Hey man, I respect your opinion, but I see a fault in your last line there. Joel has been an active musician since the mid 60's, and the album Piano Man was released in 73! His early music by no means was cliche "rock'n'roll". I'm just counter-arguing your line "Everything Joel plays is made from Rock'n'Roll and 80's Pop."

This could not be falser.

UNIe
01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey man, I respect your opinion, but I see a fault in your last line there. Joel has been an active musician since the mid 60's, and the album Piano Man was released in 73! His early music by no means was cliche "rock'n'roll". I'm just counter-arguing your line "Everything Joel plays is made from Rock'n'Roll and 80's Pop."

This could not be falser.

Well, maybe I wrote too little of my thoughts, so my bad. I haven't listened much of him, but his style seems to be just like that to me, like a blend between rock'n'roll, pop and a bit of jazz. I guess I'll have to listen to more of his stuff.

Peaceful Rocker
01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Robert Fripp

fireoptic
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Robert Fripp

Fripp is the most underrated guitar player/writer in history?

Peaceful Rocker
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
pretty much

hymero
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
My favorite composer is definitely Rudolf Schenker (Scorpions).

A Rolling Stone
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Been doing some listening lately, and I've got to say...David Bowie.

TwistedLogic
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I have been listening to some Opeth lately and must say that Mikael is a very talent and has a unique songwriting style.

due 07
02-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm going to go with John Lennon. Jealous Guy and Strawberry Fields are fantastic, as was all of Plastic Ono Band. I may be a bit biased, but check him out.

savatage5150
02-23-2009, 11:18 PM
geezer butler too

rjkahlon
02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
John Lennon

moptopguitar
02-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Bob Dylan
however john lennon kinda takes the cake musically :/

seth's daddy
02-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, & Eddie Van Halen.

greenmanelishi
03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
toss up between Micheal stipe and Roger waters

volcom_sk8_rock
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
My two most favourite song writers would have to be Bruce springsteen and Neil young if they collaborated (which they probably wont) I would die happy!

datzach
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I think that Axel Rose or someone like the lead inger for Pink Floyd and Robert Plant.

Iemdie
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Mark knopfer is the best!!

wickedawe
03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I think best songwriter is a little bit too wide of a subject but to answer your question, I think Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters from the 60's/70's

init24
05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Pete Townshend or Ray Davies, hard to choose really.

Ndelle94
05-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Musically, I would have to say Page or Brian May, As far as lyrics go the correct answer is Bob Dylan