David Bowie and Glam Rock Appreciation Thread!

PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie and Glam Rock Appreciation Thread!

a7xbowie
12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Now, we have ALL seen the amounts of Led Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, and Rush threads..but who remembers glam rock? I personally love David Bowie and his eccentric life back in the 70s. ZIGGY STARDUST WOOT. Any other Bowie fans out there?

Who else do we have..hmm T-Rex is amazing, along with Ian Hunters array of compliations..Brian Eno..Lou Reed..I cant remember anymore at the time. but yeah....post whatever you'd like to say about good ol' glam rock.

p.s.-ever noticed how F*d up this smiley is? :sexsmile:

GuitarJunkie
12-21-2005, 04:01 PM
The Darkness kinda reminds me of 80's glam metal...although i dont really know if they consider themselves glam, becuase they seem to take their music very seriously even though some of it may come off as a joke at first listen

TimiHendrix33
12-21-2005, 04:02 PM
David Bowie is awesome, and yes I have noticeed how f*cked up that "smiley " is. I guess you could call Queen glam rock, so go check out the article I did in the Classic rock bio thread.

TheStrangledCat
12-21-2005, 04:06 PM
I LOVE GLAM!!! ... yup

a7xbowie
12-21-2005, 04:08 PM
ehh. queen isnt really glam rock. freddie mercury took all that tight clothes and adrogendous act from david bowie and the spiders from mars from the 70s. so, were talking about 70s glam i guess.

ilovethinlizzy
12-21-2005, 04:15 PM
The Darkness kinda reminds me of 80's glam metal...although i dont really know if they consider themselves glam, becuase they seem to take their music very seriously even though some of it may come off as a joke at first listen

He means real 70's glam you loser!!! Sorry just got angry at the Darkness being mentioned when they suck

I like Bowie hes great. NY dolls are also awesome and T Rex

misfits385
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
David Bowie has to be one of my all time favorite artists.

Maet
12-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Now, we have ALL seen the amounts of Led Zeppelin, Floyd, Hendrix, and Rush threads..but who remembers glam rock?

YES! Noticable increase in Rush threads! I've been doing my job! :D

Anyway, I love David Bowie too. I'm not overly familiar with his work and career, or a massive fan for that matter, but I occasionally pop in my 'Best of Bowie' CD everynow and then and enjoy a great deal of it.

rx_eb
12-21-2005, 07:56 PM
YES! Noticable increase in Rush threads! I've been doing my job! :D

notice recently that there're heaps of threads about progressive rock

gotta love the album Electric Warriors

JethroTullfan72
12-21-2005, 10:56 PM
David Bowie's album Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is probably one of the best albums ever recorded.

other Glam Rock Artists
Elton John (you gotta say him, his costumes were outrageous)
Queen

slinks
12-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Holy shit I love T. Rex!!! I can't understand for the life of me how they were only one hit wonders (here in the States at least). Marc Bolan is the ultimate example of simple yet effective guitar playing. 3 or 4 of their albums were just reissued as well, though they are a bit pricey (about $20-25), I'll probably pick up at least one of them.

Of course I also love Ziggy Stardust, though I'm not a huge fan of most of Bowie's other work. That album is simply amazing.

ThePurpleRabbit
12-22-2005, 08:37 AM
!!!MICK RONSON!!!

And of Course Mott The Hoople!

Andrewbiles
12-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Bowie created some great songs & albums, it's just a shame that he did that thing with The Arcade Fire where he seems to not be on it (or maybe I was going crazy when I was listening to it).

hippiemusic101
12-22-2005, 10:18 AM
i luv bowie! it's just im always broke after buying my other cd's to get something of him. i've heard a lot of his stuff, but the only thing i own of his is the Space Oddity(jsut that single song), but it kicks major ass!

Maet
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
i luv bowie! it's just im always broke after buying my other cd's to get something of him. i've heard a lot of his stuff, but the only thing i own of his is the Space Oddity(jsut that single song), but it kicks major ass!

I strongly recommend the 'Best of Bowie' CD. It's a good starting point to really get into his stuff.

Has most of the hits a la Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, Changes, China Girl, Modern Love, Suffragette City and so on and so forth.

hippiemusic101
12-22-2005, 12:32 PM
k thx man

Canadiens1160
12-22-2005, 12:53 PM
WOOO yes I love glam rock!
Everything Bowie from Hunky Dory to Low, Brian Eno's days with Roxy Music as well as his solo career, Queen, T-Rex, big Lou Reed fan too.

Hanzi_G
12-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Queen pwn at Glam Rock.

http://www.cathedralstone.net/Pics/Queen7a.jpg

Izz
12-22-2005, 02:07 PM
David Bowie rocks=) Love him. Got about every cd on the computer but haven't listened to more than 20 songs:P Tell me some songs to check out :D

DownDark
12-22-2005, 05:52 PM
It's cool when 2 Glam Rock bands like David Bowie and Queen collab and create such a revolutionary song like Under Pressure. That song is actually considered a New Wave song... Glam rules!

Sgt_Pepper27
12-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I like alot of Glam Rock bands! Recently ive gotten the best of T-Rex and i listen to it constantly.

GnRrelease_it
12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
woo!
Ziggy Stardust rules!!
huge Bowie fan!
heathen album also rocks although the cover makes him look like the creepiest man alive.

joshsirjoshules
12-23-2005, 12:34 AM

Glam wasn't in the 80s, I believe you're just thinking of just plain heavy metal or hair metal.

Anyways, Bowie is underrated if you ask me, as a performer, singer, and lyricist. He was brilliant.

zxZoSoxz
12-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Bowie is soooooo good. He get's a bad rap.

and T.Rex is so amazing, Marc Bolan is one of my many heroes.

Scourge
12-23-2005, 02:24 AM
David Bowie is AWESOME!

i love 'is stuff :D

ive got Changes and Best Of (double CD). Ziggy, John im only Dancing, Under Pressure, Fame (especially the 90's remix)... Changes... those are my favourites i think. well, the ones that i can remember straight off, anyway.

ThePurpleRabbit
12-24-2005, 09:05 AM
T.Rex ..!!

Of course!

IlikeTheSKA
12-28-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm not a huge Bowie fan myself. Well, not as much as I used to be.

For glam, I'm more into New York Dolls, Or Lou Reed (1972ish, like Transformer). I haven't listened to much T. rex, but what I have heard I liked.

DieN
12-28-2005, 06:54 AM
I *love* Ziggy Stadust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Heroes, Station to Station and nearly all the other Bowie Albums.
Aladdin Sane (the song) has to be one of my top5 favourite songs ever.
btw, brian eno wasn't involved in STS (drugs were^^)

Scourge
12-28-2005, 07:39 AM
hello brothers, :devil:

now brothers, u know david bowie is the shiit

ill c all u brothers in hell :peace:
you know, i cant believe it, but i find myself actually totally agreeing to a post by one of the dumbass dickheads that come to this site to get banned.

wow. just... wow.

i think i'll go listen to some Bowie tonight :D

ThePurpleRabbit
12-28-2005, 08:34 AM
haven't listened to much T. rex, but what I have heard I liked.

Get The Slider or/and Electric Warrior!

Grate Stuff.
:liplick:

coldethyl
12-28-2005, 09:35 AM
I liked Bowie (still do) but the glam band that I was into when I was growing up was Sweet.

My favourite album of theirs, which apparently one cannot get even on ebay, was "Strung Up"

Favourite Sweet song: "Set Me Free"

milla_swe
12-28-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't know if Slade count but I think they're sort of glam rock. They're great anyway...

coldethyl
12-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't know if Slade count but I think they're sort of glam rock. They're great anyway...

Slade had some good material, and yes they were a "glam" band!

wilty00
12-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Bowie is awesome live and on record... I used to be a huge fan but it sortof faded away on me.

Bmm386
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
Me lovey some Ziggy Stardust.

DownDark
12-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Queen rules!

jono034
12-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I started out listening to Bowie through Stevie Ray Vaughan, when he played on Bowie's "Let's Dance" album. From there I listened to a bit more and also around that time I got into Queen. Both great artists!

:cheers:

zxZoSoxz
12-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Hrm, I just got "Queen B1tch" from Hunkey Dorey 'cause it was the ending song to The Life Aquatic, and I'm thinking about picking up the album. think it's worth getting?

DieN
12-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Oh yes!!!
And don't forget to get Ziggy Stardust as well! (his next album after hunky dory) There are many songs with the style of Queen Bitch :)
my favourite songs on HD:
"Changes"
"Life on Mars?"
"Quicksand"
"Queen Bitch"
...and all the other songs^^

zxZoSoxz
12-30-2005, 11:25 AM
groovy.
yeah, I have Ziggy, and I love it.
His best of is decent too. (leaves a lot out though in my opinion)

a7xbowie
12-30-2005, 03:00 PM
mott the hoople = :D

i wasnt too sure if they were considered glam, but thinking back yeah. did you guys know that when bowie wrote and gave them "All the Young Dudes", they had a choice? They also had the opportunity of recording "Suffragette City" as their own. I personally like Mott the Hooples version of All the Young Dudes better than Bowie's, but I always wonder if they chose Suffragette how it would sound. interesting..yes.

but i agree with other people on this threat that the Best of Bowie is a great way of getting into Bowie. (personally the double disk). its a bit out of your wallet but very very worth it.

oh by the way, have any of you seen the movie "Velvet Goldmine"? its a great movie all about glam rock and has a great soundtrack. i highly recommend seeing it if you're really into glam. it has a bit too much homosexuality going on, but once you get past that, its really cool. surprisingly, it doesnt have any Bowie, and the story is basically about David Bowies life during Ziggy and after..even though he says he had nothing to do with the movie....

anyway really long post here haha sorry about that. :p:

ThePurpleRabbit
12-30-2005, 04:05 PM
mott the hoople = :D

i wasnt too sure if they were considered glam, but thinking back yeah. did you guys know that when bowie wrote and gave them "All the Young Dudes", they had a choice? They also had the opportunity of recording "Suffragette City" as their own. I personally like Mott the Hooples version of All the Young Dudes better than Bowie's, but I always wonder if they chose Suffragette how it would sound. interesting..yes.

i Knew That :D

But did you know that Verden (Allen) , Ian (Hunter) and Joe Walsh invited the selves to Graceland?
They didn't meet the king though...
And luckily they failed to get shot by the guards.. :D

DownDark
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Queen toured with Mott The Hoople when they first started as their opening act.

Lilee_Relvis
12-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, glam is the most fun form of rock. Would Slade and Wizard count? I mean, it's all so happy and pretty to look at and well...fun! It's not my favourite, but man can it cheer me up. I think the 70s is a bit of an ignored decade, but it shouldn't be 'cause it's great and gave birth to some of the most memorable songs. Some of my favourite songs are Get it On, Starman and Bohemian Rhapsody, because they're so happy! Ooh, thanks for making this thread, it's put me in a much better mood.

DownDark
12-31-2005, 10:18 AM
part of Bohemian Rhapsody is happy (the operetic section) and some is angry (heavy headbang section) but the rest is sad (the intro, verses, choruses, outro)

Lilee_Relvis
12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
yeah, but c'mon, it's not meant to be taken seriously! The atmosphere is very uplifting and the best bit, the solo is major.

Iluvpowerchords
12-31-2005, 11:47 AM
You're all forgetting the New York Dolls.

DownDark
12-31-2005, 04:22 PM
the solo for BoRhap is a totally different face from the rest of the song. Brian May didn't want the solo to be the exact same as the melody for the choruses, he wanted it to have it's own style, a mind of it's own. Along with Comfortably Numb, it's one of the best solos ever recorded.

ThePurpleRabbit
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
it's one of the best solos ever recorded.

:cool:

Top 5 at Least!!

psychodelia
01-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Bowie... let's see.

Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, and Alladin Sane are great albums. The Best Of is good too. Then most of his other albums still have good songs on them, like Heroes, Scary Monsters and The Man Who Sold the World. He has a varied body of work, but some real quality stuff.

I don't know if Todd Rundgren (can't spell) is considered glam, although the pictures I've seen of him would suggest that. I think some of his stuff is quite good, though not at Bowie's level.

JethroTullfan72
01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
You guys are all forgetting Elton John.

ThePurpleRabbit
01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Not forgetting, not liking.

That's how it is with me-!
:cool:

Lilee_Relvis
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
I went to a 20th Century party and dressed as a glam rocker. I had big hair, a headband saying "Princess", platforms, a red velvet top, jeans, 3 sparkly bracelets, a purple choker, a tatoo on my face, rings on every finger, a bag with big lips on and loads of make up.

Rock1986
03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
I strongly recommend the 'Best of Bowie' CD. It's a good starting point to really get into his stuff.

Has most of the hits a la Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, Changes, China Girl, Modern Love, Suffragette City and so on and so forth.

I strongly second that

joshsirjoshules
03-28-2006, 09:24 AM
"And I turned myself to face me"

I wish I had come up with that line. David Bowie's awesome.

joic3389
03-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I absolutly looooovvvvveee bowie!

for years i thought he was crappy (having never actually listented to his music) someone bought me a "best of" last year and i have been over the moon with him ever since. recommend him to anyone.

Plus i kinda like these modern glam rock bands that are about at the mo, like goldfrapp im liking them alot.

rx_eb
03-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd not consider Bo Rhap as a glam rock song

but a prog rock song instead

DieN
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I think it fits into this thread.^^
Some you tube bowie videos:

When I'm Five (very early bowie video) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VrmiDWzGvSI&search=david%20bowie)
Let Me Sleep Beside You (very early as well) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zUH6vae0mec&search=david%20bowie)
Space Oddity (live, 1973-->not the one from the motion picture!) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cV2njkz8b9Y&search=david%20bowie)
Live On Mars (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lN1Yyt1XmrY&search=david%20bowie)
Moonage Daydream (live in his ziggy times) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=p79JKclG-oc&search=david%20bowie)
Look Back In Anger (one of my favourite 70s bowie songs) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QEJjASV20kc&search=david%20bowie)
Time (very weird 1973 performance. must see) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IO2Cq7oKSBQ&search=david%20bowie)
Queen Bitch (glam rock :)) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6n24aGSnfq0&search=david%20bowie)
Heroes (1978, he sings it in a dutch TV show) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=D54PAFBsTKA&search=david%20bowie)

get-born
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
first off, the best bowie song is panic in detroit and second...

not one person posted about SWEET!

the original glam rock, c'mon ballroom blitz? they also have have other awesome songs, little willy, ACDC and many, many others, you all should listen...

:sexsmile:

ilovethinlizzy
03-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Some of these guys are so right
You are all Forgetting the NY Dolls And Roxy Music
But yeh Glam rules

FadingRoots
04-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Three Words.

Hang
Onto
Yourself.

AustinPrince13
04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
queen is awesome
david bowie is awesome
elton john is awesome

sgtsniff
04-22-2006, 04:55 AM
i like bowie, ziggy is great and i like starman.

Flying V
04-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Mick Ronson was a great guitar player. Great tone, great riffs and style, he really made the Spiders From Mars band bring Bowie's voice & songs to life. No doubt about it that David Bowie would not have had the same effect in 1972 without the Spiders From Mars sound.

Personally, I am a real big fan of Marc Bolan & T. Rex. Great songwriter, unique vocalisms (I really think Michael Jackson "borrowed" a couple of vocal sounds from Bolan), great stage presence. The movie Born to Boogie (directed by Ringo Starr) is terrific from beginning to end, Bolan is a very high-energy live performer. The tone on those old T. Rex records is killer.

The early 70s Glam era looked like it was so much fun.

pipnorton
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
1. Sweet
2. Slade
3. Mud
4. Gary Glitter
5. The Glitter Band
6. The New York Dolls
7. Hello
8. Alice Cooper
9. Mott the Hooper
10. Suzi Quatro
11. Mark Bolin
12. Wizzard

also; Angel, Silk, Bay City Rollers, Medicine Head, Chicory Tip, Showaddywaddy, Geordie, Cockny Rebels, Sparks, Barry Blue, and Blackfoot Sue, Cozy Powell, Kenny, Hot Chocolate, John Kongos, Chris Spedding...

from research and charts

Sloopy
08-06-2007, 12:43 AM
^ You know Wizzard? Dude I LOVE Wizzard. Great band.

Anybody got the 'The Slider' re-issue? With the Rabbit Fighter bonus disc?

Mobius Man
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
queen is awesome
david bowie is awesome
elton john is awesome

+1: This man knows what he's talking about! :D

metallicaPOOS
03-15-2008, 08:39 PM
new york dolls, mott the hoople, sweet influenced Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue. Motley Crue's 1st album is actually really good. im not a fan of 80's glam metal. But motley's 1st record was soo great. I love glam rock.