Guitar Solos in Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Solos in Punk

RandyVanHendrix
12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I know I know. Punk is all about simplicity. But lately punk has been sounding the same and it's really getting old. Tell me if you think really technical guitar shred solos would sound cool in music that's usally just bashing power chords.

planetary ruins
12-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Thats far from true. time and time again bands like discharge,contravene,planetary ruins,gism,cryptic slaughter,nail bitter,DIRT have proven to be somewhat if not extremely technical with solos and riffs.They sound more then great.

FenderStrat1337
12-21-2005, 08:47 PM
operation ivy has some cool guitar parts.

Their not exactly solos, but their some cool sounding guitar parts in the background.

Ramones had some really basic, yet cool. solos on their last few albums.

Thats all that comes to mind. I know some ska bands that solo but not many punk bands.

IlikeTheSKA
12-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Bad Brains had some badass guitar parts. The intro to "I Against I" may sound like what you are talking about.

hardrock1315
12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Bands with solos/decent guitarists:

New York Dolls
The Clash
Agent Orange
Agnostic Front (If you like shred, you'll like some of Stigma's work)
Aus Rotten
Bad Brains
The Beerleaders
Black Flag
Stray Cats/Brian Setzer (if you count him as punk - but he's amazing anyway, so listen!)
The Circle Jerks
Corrosion of Conformity (If you'd count them as punk)
D.R.I.
The Damned
Dead Kennedys
Discharge
Faraquet
Fear
MC5
No Cash
Social Distortion
The Stooges
Subhumans
The Suspicion
Television
U.S. Bombs

IlikeTheSKA
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
He's not talking a bout bands that actually have solos, he's talknig about technical, shred-esque solos, so don't waste your time.

capsfan17
12-21-2005, 08:57 PM
my favorite guitar solo is still nomeansno jesus was a terrorist, followed by marquee moon.

thekevinfoltmer
12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
i'm really no fan of shredding at ungodly speeds like i wish i could play that fast but after a while it gets old meliodic solos is where its at.

axeslinger01
12-21-2005, 09:05 PM
avenged sevenfolds new stuff is kinda like that (dont flame whats punk and whats not has always confused me)

ragethesage
12-21-2005, 09:08 PM
The Beerleaders

Flattering. Really.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
12-21-2005, 09:09 PM
There's already shread-esque solos in punk music.
See also:
Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys

capsfan17
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
yes, if you want proof of talent in punk musicians, listen to pull my strings, sorry for taking your like bryan

hardrock1315
12-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Flattering. Really.

You're welcome.

:cheers:

Well, I guess the only ones I mentioned with shreddy solos are:

Agnostic Front
Antischism
Bad Brains
Corrosion of Conformity
D.R.I.
Discharge
EDIT: FORGOT THE FACTION!

There are no real crazy solos in the Suspicion's music, but their guitarist knows his **** and is really good, he just doesn't show it. Trust me, I know him.

And jazz is a lot more technical than shred. Shred is just wanking that doesn't even have to sound musical as long as its played at 60 nps.

RandyVanHendrix
12-21-2005, 09:26 PM
I didn't just mean pure shred like John Petrucci trust me even that gets boring. I mean like a mix kind of like Randy Rhodes. He can play at the speed of light but his solos are emotional and Way more awesome than just emotionless shredding. I just meant really good guitar parts.

capsfan17
12-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Randy, you should listen to bad brains, there is a lot of raw emotion in their music, and Dr Know is a beast.

hardrock1315
12-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I didn't just mean pure shred like John Petrucci trust me even that gets boring. I mean like a mix kind of like Randy Rhodes. He can play at the speed of light but his solos are emotional and Way more awesome than just emotionless shredding. I just meant really good guitar parts.

Oh, OK. I thought you were one of those "Yngwie Malmsteen is the best guitarist ever" types. I hate those people.

RandyVanHendrix
12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Oh, OK. I thought you were one of those "Yngwie Malmsteen is the best guitarist ever" types. I hate those people.

No definately not. Granted he's very talented but a guitar solo is meant to be more than just scales moving up 5 octaves really fast.

whyvern
12-21-2005, 10:59 PM
You want some guitar solos in some punk music.

Annihilation Time is your answer!

capsfan17
12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
on that note david, check out municipal waste as well.

telex289
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
no cash, dead kennedys, and the misfits all have some pretty good solos

planetary ruins
12-21-2005, 11:13 PM
even though im not all about them at all and think their annoying GISM has some realy rippin solos almost to the cheesey metal tip that are very technical.

gonzosrevenge55
12-21-2005, 11:36 PM
bad religion did some pretty good solos (some are just typical one note punk solos, others are REAL solos). the outro on generator is a good one (not the first two, the one at the end), atomic garden has some cool harmonics worked in (but not a real solo),
the bass solo in rancid's maxwell murder is just balls out awesome.
maybe electric frankenstein, i've got brainfart at the moment, but a lot of the guys in the 90's were doing them...maybe i'll post again when i've gone through my cd collection.
and to whoever said the misfits did solos...what the hell? you're talking about the micheal graves stuff, right?

Iluvpowerchords
12-22-2005, 12:03 AM
why hasn't anyone suggested pull my strings yet?

LiLFLiP
12-22-2005, 12:30 AM
why hasn't anyone suggested pull my strings yet?
yes, if you want proof of talent in punk musicians, listen to pull my strings, sorry for taking your like bryan

That's actually also the first song that popped into my head.

Lagwagon also has a very technical guitarist. Check out the solo in their one song baggage...
http://www.derrelicte.info/baggage.mp3

Also, Propagandhi has some talent in their guitars...
http://www.derrelicte.info/halloffame.mp3

And lastly, Strung Out has two very technical guitarists...
http://www.derrelicte.info/contender.mp3

Yes, yes, pop-punk etc. etc. They're still good, regardless.

BrianApocalypse
12-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Power Chords are ****ing **** and useless. Forget about them.

The Dictators have some decent soloing in their songs, it's not shred, but it's fairly fast for the time. Check out their song "the next big thing"

bucky_2300
12-22-2005, 11:38 AM
^ Power chords aren't useless. They're no more useless than any other kind of chord.

johnnynemo
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Power Chords are ****ing **** and useless. Forget about them.

The Dictators have some decent soloing in their songs, it's not shred, but it's fairly fast for the time. Check out their song "the next big thing"

OMG.
I almost agree with Brian.

I disagree with the power chord, but wholeheartedly agree about the Dictators, and was gonna recommend the song "Next Big Thing".

Also, early Manic Street Preachers, Lime Spiders, Radio Birdman, and Hanoi Rocks ALL have amazing guitar solos.

CowsWithGuns
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Broken Bones. **** off And Die has some nice guitar work in it.

Warm-And-Fuzzy
12-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I just flipped on some Generation X, and they have some pretty impressive solos.
(Youth, Youth, Youth)

one dead punk
12-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Radio Birdman mos def, and Joe Strummer does good solo's, not just in The Clash, but when he was in the 101ers.

I was also going to say Jesus was a Communist by Reagan Youth but pinhead beat me to it.

IlikeTheSKA
12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
no cash, dead kennedys, and the misfits all have some pretty good solos

The Misfits? They may sound good, but they certaintly aren't technical, which is what this thread is about.

BlakeIsAGod
12-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I Want to Conquer the World by Bad Religion is hard, for me that is.

BrianApocalypse
12-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Power Chords are more useless than other chords. You have to move your hand to go up an octave, you can't switch to interesting chords just like that.

If you play a barre chord, you can play the power chord, the low octave major chord, the high octave power chord, the high octave minor chord, 7ths and all of that stuff, if you use all 5 caged shapes you don't have to move your hand twice as much.

They have their place, and I'm not slagging them off, well, I guess I am, but the point is that if less people just used power chords they'd make better music. There's only so much you can do with those chords. Plus, they don't build your stamina so well. It's easy to 8th note 2 or 3 strings, but harder to do it to 5 or 6.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that they shouldn't be every course of the meal. I want a bread roll, soup and shred sorbet.

Sure, it's good that a kid can learn play the guitar in 5 minutes, but they should be its starting point, not the lion's share of its knowledge.

whyvern
12-23-2005, 10:58 AM
I agree with that somewhat. Since I stopped writing songs with Power-chords... I think my music has gotten alot better.

stevenlogan
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I was suprised that only one guy talked about Joe Strummer. Well, i forgot what i was gonna say besides that, so good day.

johnnynemo
12-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Brian you do make a strong argument, and have some valid points, especially with caged shapes making it easier to move up and down octaves quickly.

The problem is that when you're using distortion, you can't generally hear more than 3 notes, and that's why the power chords and barre chords have been used for so long.

Personally, I use lots of suspended 4ths and 7th chords, but I generally have to palm mute open chords or just isolate the strings to keep the sound from getting "muddy", and that can be hit or miss, if you're playing a fast progression.

Plus, with the power or barre chord, you can easily throw in the minor third, for that ole rock and roll sound.

PenCapChew
12-23-2005, 03:17 PM
Total Chaos
Bad Brains

ss311
12-26-2005, 02:47 PM
stiff little fingers- 78 rpm

lavazza
12-26-2005, 03:49 PM
The Ramones never played real solos so it´s not necessary but if you listen to Turbonegro ( i know it´s no real Punk ) you can see that solos also sound good

ScummerVacation
12-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Reverend Horton Heat counts in my book, as does Demented Are Go and the Stray Cats.

Rockabilly counts. It counts.

Bad Religion
12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I truley think brett of Bad Religion is the best at punk solos

planetary ruins
12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
thats a bold statement

rayIII
12-26-2005, 09:20 PM
I truley think brett of Bad Religion is the best at punk solos
you my friend have obviously never heard of BAD BRAINS

joshsirjoshules
03-18-2006, 01:58 PM

The Beerleaders

Ha ha, thanks man. Don't know too many people who would think I'm a good guitarist. Thanks.

Oh and if you don't believe me, just ask ragethesage.

zackboy
03-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Good one. Its awesome how ray cranks up the '80s rockstar' for that song. The solo fits perfectly and sounds exactly like it needs to

Catch23
03-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I like the solo in Nausea's Fall Out of Our Being.

rockeroller
03-18-2006, 05:42 PM
the toy dolls have a lot of solos.

jklsadj;sadjfak
03-18-2006, 06:12 PM
living end has some good ones. social distortion has good melodic ones, but nothing flashy.
johnny ramone busts out a big one on i wanna be sedated too.

pinheadslts75
03-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Conflict, Minutemen, Black Flag, Paint It Black, Fugazi, and Bad Brains have the best solos.

Adam_Harrison9
04-11-2006, 11:01 AM

I don't think Justin Sane of Anti-Flag gets enough credit for some of their guitar parts. Look at the solo for "A New Kind Of Army", "Tearing Everyone Down", "Until It Happens To You" and "Their System Doesn't Work For You". He also included nice fills and riffs in songs like "Got The Numbers", "Angry, Young and Poor" and others.

Ok, a lot of the bands you seem to mention are older punk bands I think because of the so called "punk is dead" era people tend to not listen to the newer stuff. I dunno.......I don't really listen to the older stuff (i.e Dead Kennedys)....

phil992
04-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Power Chords are more useless than other chords. You have to move your hand to go up an octave, you can't switch to interesting chords just like that.

If you play a barre chord, you can play the power chord, the low octave major chord, the high octave power chord, the high octave minor chord, 7ths and all of that stuff, if you use all 5 caged shapes you don't have to move your hand twice as much.

They have their place, and I'm not slagging them off, well, I guess I am, but the point is that if less people just used power chords they'd make better music. There's only so much you can do with those chords. Plus, they don't build your stamina so well. It's easy to 8th note 2 or 3 strings, but harder to do it to 5 or 6.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that they shouldn't be every course of the meal. I want a bread roll, soup and shred sorbet.

Sure, it's good that a kid can learn play the guitar in 5 minutes, but they should be its starting point, not the lion's share of its knowledge.

Power chords are just a barre chord with the third left out (including the third doesn't sound great with distortion). Within the context of a song, when the key has been established, it doesn't always sound better to use the third (you can kinda tell if its a minor or major chord anyway). Usually in a punk song it sounds better without.

I think strumming full barre chords fast with loads of distortion sounds pretty **** (open chords sound even worse). I prefer to hear one guitar playing the powerchord while another guitar plays the third. Harmonizing two guitars to create chords sounds much better in a punk song in my opinion.

Also, when you say about hand movement, the slide sounds you get when playing power chords sound pretty cool; much better than the random open strings youll strum when changing open chords.

boredretard
04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
black flag and bad brains have some god ones

lavazza
04-11-2006, 01:20 PM
the toy dolls have a lot of solos.

This is Punk? They are funny but they sound like somebody who has candy floss inside his head like a kicked child like a baby with a dummy is his mouth

Cub
04-12-2006, 08:03 AM
soloes in punk are great in my opinion. but, the best soloes are usually simple but have a good sound to them, other then just shredding. might not agree with me but i think sometimes the soloes that are just octaved power chords sound pretty cool. not many examples are comin to mind right now, but in i dont wanna grow up by the ramones johnny does a solo that way and i reckon its kinda cool

BrianApocalypse
04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
?Brian you do make a strong argument, and have some valid points, especially with caged shapes making it easier to move up and down octaves quickly.?

Both true.

?The problem is that when you're using distortion, you can't generally hear more than 3 notes, and that's why the power chords and barre chords have been used for so long.?

Yep.

?Personally, I use lots of suspended 4ths and 7th chords, but I generally have to palm mute open chords or just isolate the strings to keep the sound from getting "muddy", and that can be hit or miss, if you're playing a fast progression.?

I?m not advocating the use of open chords, most notably E and G, obviously, for exactly that reason. Play a barred G on the third fret. Anyone with a bit of proficiency won?t have that problem. Now, if you play a G power chord, you have to pick more precisely so?s not to hit strings outside of the chord. Onstage, particularly, even the most accomplished power player is bound to hit these, which is pretty unprofessional. If one plays in a barre shape and plays the power chord notes only, this mistake, not only will it not matter, but will become an augmentation rather than a problem.
When playing a fast progression, you are far more likely to get spill using power chords, further increasing the mud-like tone.

?Plus, with the power or barre chord, you can easily throw in the minor third, for that ole rock and roll sound.?

Exactly. But since this is applicable to either, it?s not a factor in the debate. It certainly is a must use with either though.

?Power chords are just a barre chord with the third left out?

Not **** Sherlock :rolleyes:

However, when 99% of so-called ?guitarists? play a power chord, they use the root and the fifth above it, and more often than not, the octave of the root on the next string up, be it D, G or whatever. By placing this limitation on yourself, you miss out on an additional two octaves, one on the root, one on the fifth. Although not actually required, these extra strings are key to the thick sound desired by punk musicians.

Let?s look at 2 guitar sounds. Firstly, the Ramones? self titled LP. Although meagre record quality, the thickness of Johnny?s guitar stands out and is full. It?s a wall of noise, and was described in NME as a barrage of white hate. Compare this against an early Partisans song, for instance Bastards in Blue, which uses solely power chords. Listen how flat and boring it is compared to Johnny Ramone, even though they use chords solely, and are neither especially interesting as they are so limited.

A friend by the name of Nathan who used to play exclusively power chords went out and bough chorus pedals to rich up their tone. When playing with his new pedal, against my barre chords, my sound was still richer, and we were using virtually identical practice amps (both Marshall MGs, his was a 15CDR, mine was a 10CD.

As you will agree no doubt, Johnny, being from a poor background, not every kid can spend, what proved to be a wasted £85 on pedals. It would have been more effective, and better value to just learn a few barre chords. If an effect adds nothing beyond guitar capability, it is worthless. In other words, Wah, Delay, Flange, Underwater and Reverb are better than a chorus pedal you use just to get the effect you?d get if you could actually play

?Within the context of a song, when the key has been established, it doesn't always sound better to use the third (you can kinda tell if its a minor or major chord anyway). Usually in a punk song it sounds better without.?

I suppose it?s down to personal preference whether you want to include the third or not. But, even if you don?t, with Barre chords you have the option to strum above or below the third, or mute the third and play the whole thing. This gives you more options when playing because you can fit varied stuff in, and this principle leads to good guitar playing, as the sound is actually slightly interesting. With a power chord, you can sound raw. With a barre chord, you can sound raw, rich, jangly and flavoured.

Furthermore, the third can sound **** with distortion, but only if not utilised effectively. Check out the Clash?s career opportunities. In later (excellent) live versions, Mick Jones would sing the third of the A that Joe Strummer sang in the verse. Had this guitar line been played with power chords, it would have been crap.

?I think strumming full barre chords fast with loads of distortion sounds pretty **** (open chords sound even worse).?

In that case the musician in question is either A.) using too much distortion, or B.) Can?t play for toffee or ****. In the case of A, were they playing barre chords, they wouldn?t need to turn up so much, and wouldn?t have the problem.

True, open chords can sound muddy. But I?m not suggesting that guitar players choose them over power chords.

?Also, when you say about hand movement, the slide sounds you get when playing power chords sound pretty cool; much better than the random open strings youll strum when changing open chords.?

Again, this is irrelevant. That sliding sound can be acquired by the use of barre chords too, so that argument gives the power chord no superior standing over the barre chord whatsoever.

[quote]?I prefer to hear one guitar playing the powerchord while another guitar plays the third. Harmonizing two guitars to create chords sounds much better in a punk song in my opinion.?[quote]

Two guitars? How dare you argue against a chord that, when phrased carefully, allows me to do the work of two guitarists at once? Ever heard the jam(listen to how ?the Eton rifles? is arranged) or the dead kennedys (East Bay Ray uses a Dunlop echoplex and switches manically between lead and rhythm to fill out his sound) live? It?s proof that good musicianship fills out the space in the sound that whiny bitches need to fill with an extra guitar player. Your idea has clarity in the studio only, but hey, who doesn?t use overdubs?

That?s a typical view of the guitar playing today. Jokers critise Punk music, stating that it?s all power chords, and anyone can play it, but it?s an ignorant and stupid misconception from ?guitarists? who have no rhythm guitar talent whatsoever and are so great and godlike they need an extra player to fill out their sound. :rolleyes:

If they had any talent they wouldn?t. Loom at Motorhead, for instance. Lemmy and Eddie Clarke sound ****ing thicker than a big band, and there are 2 of them.

Don?t get me wrong, it?s great that kids can learn to play the guitar in five minutes by being shown a power chord, but this is the most basic starting point, not the nirvana of rhythm guitar. I think that power chords in principle are a good thing, but not in the way they are used as the staple diet of guitar playing. If 99% of your diet were sweets, represented by power chords, you would seriously ****ing die, and it is this, in my opinion is what has killed rock and roll

In conclusion, barre chords are better than power chords, guitarists in bands who require more than one guitar player are incompetent musicians, especially bad religion, and anyone with a view of punk guitar as being simple, easy to play, free of solos and 100% power chords is a cünt who wouldn?t last five minutes of a punk set.

euge453
04-12-2006, 04:36 PM
In conclusion, barre chords are better than power chords, guitarists in bands who require more than one guitar player are incompetent musicians

Sometimes a power chord is better than a barre chord. It depends what you're going for. The 5th and the octave are the most consonant intervals, so power chords sound good. Sometimes that simplicity is all you need.

I think I'd take back the second comment. I'm pretty sure The Allman Brothers, The Beatles, Metallica, and The Eagles are all competent musicians. Some of them even have three guitarists.

Although I'll agree it's kind of annoying when two guitarists play the same power chords together and it seems kind of talentless, it can add to the richness of the sound to have the chord doubled over by two guitars with different tones.

PS: I like your band.

ss311
04-13-2006, 03:28 AM
I agree with Brian. A barre is what I do instead of the power chord.
I won't argue my case because it would look silly next to his.

Not Now
04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Rise Against have some decent solo's in a few of their songs.

Maybe not the best, but worth a listen.

pinheadslts75
04-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I play barre chords, but since I'm in a semi-metal band, I play a lot of pentatonic lead lines. Lead lines and barre chords make your music sound wider and keep the listener guessing. I also like playing improv, which takes a lot of skill to pull off. If you don't actually have some sort of skill, improv is an absolute mess.

BrianApocalypse
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Sometimes a power chord is better than a barre chord. It depends what you're going for. The 5th and the octave are the most consonant intervals, so power chords sound good. Sometimes that simplicity is all you need.

Even if you only need the power chord, it still makes sense to play the barre shape. Why? Because you can throw in many extra things with no effort. You can hit the high E as you changing string. You can strum the E and B together once to make a high octave 5th chord and break up a monotonous pattern. With a power chord, you?d have to move your whole hand. As some car advert goes ?The Possibilities are endless?, and the possibilities are more endless when you give yourself a wider scope with more to throw in.

I accept that sometimes a power chord is all that is needed, but still, I reiterate, playing a barre shape is more benefitial as you can not only play a power chord from it, but play several, and then go further.

?I think I'd take back the second comment. I'm pretty sure The Allman Brothers, The Beatles, Metallica, and The Eagles are all competent musicians. Some of them even have three guitarists.?

I won?t take back that comment, but I am prepared to rephrase it. A lot of players are considered to be great guitarists, but what people don?t consider is that they don?t bitch (play rhythm) for themselves, which if they were decent players they could. A lot of players quickly switch between the two in order to keep a thick sound. They do the job of two guitarists, yet they don?t get any recognition for it.

I said bands that NEED two guitars, not USE two guitars. Most songs can be played well using one guitar. Maybe not using the exact same arrangement, ill give you that, but the gap can be bridged by punchy bass playing, and putting chords, and octaves into the leads.

Although I'll agree it's kind of annoying when two guitarists play the same power chords together and it seems kind of talentless, it can add to the richness of the sound to have the chord doubled over by two guitars with different tones.

It can add to the richness, but it isn?t required. It can be compensated using EQ, Phrasing etc.

PS: I like your band.

Cheers. It?s not really a band though, it?s just me ATM, since the only free musicians I know are guitarists, who have their own preferences as to how my guitar parts should be played and would do it differently. Plus, myself playing bass would be wasted, as I don?t have any creativity or skill, or even aptitude on a bass guitar.

On ?I ain?t no goddam Elvis? I played the guitar line the pretty much same way I used to do live twice, so that I could pan the guitar sound, and also because although I could manually create a chorus effect by time shifting a duplicate of a single guitar track, I didn?t have the technology to give it a vintage sheen possible when using a chorus unit. The later Rockabilly version, however, was a different story.
I recorded a single guitar line, duplicated it six times. Tracks one and two were each assigned to far left and quite far right respectively, with track 2 timeshifted a few milliseconds and further fuzzed up beyond track one?s James Cotton type sound. The chords of tracks three and four (Mid Left and Right) were manually removed to leave the chords. Some notes in track 3 were pitchshifted to harmonise with Track four?s lead, or create simple chords in the solo. Track 5 (centre) was given reverb, and Track Six, a duplicate of track 3 was kept low in the mix, and given a Brian Setzer type delay. It was put on the far right.

I wouldn?t recommend being a solo artist. Not only do you have no-one to play ideas off, but it?s a bastard to do backing vocals.

I agree with Brian. A barre is what I do instead of the power chord.
I won't argue my case because it would look silly next to his.?

Maybe, but it took me a long time to reply. I wrote it twice ages ago, and when I clicked the post button it froze.

?I play barre chords, but since I'm in a semi-metal band, I play a lot of pentatonic lead lines. Lead lines and barre chords make your music sound wider and keep the listener guessing. I also like playing improv, which takes a lot of skill to pull off. If you don't actually have some sort of skill, improv is an absolute mess.?

I agree wholeheartedly.

sassamafras
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
NOFX has some ok solos...but ya punk lacks solos for a reason. there probably not alot of people in this forum that are old enough to remember when punk first surfaced, but it was to be different from all the other mainstream music at the time..(air supply, led zepplin.etc). metal was ALL about solos at that time and the founders of punk strived to be different from them...thus they stripped rock music too the bare bones..which equaled no solos. i THINK thats reason there are very little solos in punk, cause that method of making music has carried on to today. punk is simplicity at its best, and it doesn't need solos to make punk music better, but it is a nice change to hear one every now and then though

BrianApocalypse
04-13-2006, 05:37 PM
punk is simplicity at its best, and it doesn't need solos to make punk music better, but it is a nice change to hear one every now and then though

I agree. Solos can contribute a lot to punk songs in certain situations. For anyone with any skepticism, listen to the solo in the dead kennedys' "Buzzbomb". It has a crusing feel to it, which reflects the song's vagrant in a car theme.

sassamafras
04-13-2006, 08:19 PM
exactly

delongesmyhero
04-13-2006, 09:47 PM
rise against solo's alot

bassmo_part2
04-14-2006, 12:54 AM
^ ^ ^Shame they are WANK. Not really punk but I could imagine punks maybe liking them - Ween have some pretty good solos.

Ifoughtthelaw42
04-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Johhny Thunders pulls off some cool solos with the Dolls and the Heartbreaks.

webaldo
04-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Oi Polloi - Thin Green Line & albums of nofx when kidweiler is playing, black flag and one of my favorite solos are of acab, you`ll never walk alone, its very easy, but its beautiful :)

phil992
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
?I prefer to hear one guitar playing the powerchord while another guitar plays the third. Harmonizing two guitars to create chords sounds much better in a punk song in my opinion.?[quote]

Two guitars? How dare you argue against a chord that, when phrased carefully, allows me to do the work of two guitarists at once? Ever heard the jam(listen to how ?the Eton rifles? is arranged) or the dead kennedys (East Bay Ray uses a Dunlop echoplex and switches manically between lead and rhythm to fill out his sound) live? It?s proof that good musicianship fills out the space in the sound that whiny bitches need to fill with an extra guitar player. Your idea has clarity in the studio only, but hey, who doesn?t use overdubs?

That?s a typical view of the guitar playing today. Jokers critise Punk music, stating that it?s all power chords, and anyone can play it, but it?s an ignorant and stupid misconception from ?guitarists? who have no rhythm guitar talent whatsoever and are so great and godlike they need an extra player to fill out their sound. :rolleyes:

If they had any talent they wouldn?t. Loom at Motorhead, for instance. Lemmy and Eddie Clarke sound ****ing thicker than a big band, and there are 2 of them.

Don?t get me wrong, it?s great that kids can learn to play the guitar in five minutes by being shown a power chord, but this is the most basic starting point, not the nirvana of rhythm guitar. I think that power chords in principle are a good thing, but not in the way they are used as the staple diet of guitar playing. If 99% of your diet were sweets, represented by power chords, you would seriously ****ing die, and it is this, in my opinion is what has killed rock and roll

In conclusion, barre chords are better than power chords, guitarists in bands who require more than one guitar player are incompetent musicians, especially bad religion, and anyone with a view of punk guitar as being simple, easy to play, free of solos and 100% power chords is a cünt who wouldn?t last five minutes of a punk set.

I don't believe I just took the time to read through all this ****. Everything I said in my previous post was true in my opinion. Yes, I can play barre chords effectively; just as effectively as I can play powerchords. But like I said, I like heavily distorted guitars, and the third sounds muddy. I like other types of music that use full chord shapes, I don't think that Radiohead should stop using barre and open chords. It sounds good in their songs. There are punks songs in which it sounds good too but I'd rather not play them myself.

As for what you said about 2 guitars, I think it sounds much better if (eg) one guitar plays A5 and the other guitar plays the C. It just sounds better in my opinion. One guitar playing a power chord and the other guitar cutting through playing the third just sounds good to ME. Are you trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong? If you are then you don't deserve to listen or play music because you don't understand what its about at all.

And your comment about bands with 2 guitarist being incompentent musicians... Thats just plain stupid. Maybe you live in an imaginary world where being able to play barre chords makes someone a great musician but every guitar player I know can do it. Just because a bands songs are easy to play does not mean they are bad musicians. Ever thought that they just choose to play what they play because it SOUNDS BETTER?? There is no better or worse chord to play. It is opinion but you are obviously too ****ing stupid to understand that. Now **** off and die.

pinheadslts75
04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
If adding one little note makes it muddy, I suggest two things:

1.Turn down your bass. A lot of lows may sound thick with single note leads on the bass strings, but it makes your chords sound terrible.

2.You don't need a lot of distortion to make it sound heavy. Anywhere from 3-5 is good enough. Look at Annihilation Time: Their guitars are relativly clean and yet sound very heavy.

My thoughts on 2 guitars: I think it sounds cool if they both switch between lead and Rhythm amongst themselves, but are playing something totally different from each other. Take Fugazi for example. McKaye and Piccioto don't follow traditional twin guitar standards, and are always branching off and doing something different from the other. Plus, when one of them is singing, they're almost never playing at the same time.

Elaborating on my post about improv: Greg Ginn was always spot on with his solos in Black flag because he had an extensive knowledge of harmonics. This gave him an edge over people who just randomly pluck strings. You can here the odd harmony in his soloing.

However, if you don't the skill, it sounds terrible. Take October Faction, which was an SST records supergroup with Ginn, Chuck Dukowski and Joe Baiza of Saccharine Trust. Ginn and Dukowski had a natural chemistry, as well as considerable skill. Their jamming sounded good. But then there was Baiza. He was an okay guitarist, but he wasn't good enough to jam with the others. His guitar made everything October Faction ever did sound like mud out of a ditch.

BrianApocalypse
04-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Are you trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong? If you are then you don't deserve to listen or play music because you don't understand what its about at all.

Maybe you live in an imaginary world where being able to play barre chords makes someone a great musician but every guitar player I know can do it.

Just because a bands songs are easy to play does not mean they are bad musicians.

Ever thought that they just choose to play what they play because it SOUNDS BETTER?? There is no better or worse chord to play. It is opinion but you are obviously too ****ing stupid to understand that. Now **** off and die.

*yawns*

If you don't want your opinion judged, don't force your ideology upon others by posting in a debate. :bonk:

Just like you have the right to an opinion, so do I. And my opinion is that yours is wrong.

I don't believe I just took the time to read through all this ****.[./quote]

Neither do I. You blatantly haven't understood the fundamentals of my argument. I never even said that Barre chords doesn't make someone a great musician. You're a very clever girl, you know that, because you're taking something I've said, and taken it further. This is called exaggeration. I said that barre chords aren?t as boring to listen to.

[quote]Just because a bands songs are easy to play does not mean they are bad musicians.

??I?ve come to terms with my limitations as a guitar player. So I?m trying to break those boundaries? But I?m always trying to add to my repertoire? every time I play Headspace live it?s still hard to do. But I do love having those little fits and flurries.?

Well, I don?t think that Slash appreciates your opinion.

But hey, that?s just my opinion :rolleyes:

And who has more standing as a musician out of Slash, and some whiny bitch called Phil or whatever? That?s a rhetorical question if ever I saw one.

Ever thought that they just choose to play what they play because it SOUNDS BETTER?? There is no better or worse chord to play. It is opinion but you are obviously too ****ing stupid to understand that. Now **** off and die

A bit strong for an opinion don?t you think?

Well, I'm going to Mount Fuji to kill myself, because I do not deserve music.
I?d leave you my amps, because you?re a much more worthy musician, but unfortunately, you?re a total cunt.

So, like, get the fuck out.

DaveyHavokDavey
04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
The solo in Dancing Through Sunday by AFI is good.

clash1057
04-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Stephen Egerton from the Descendents has some catchy solos, nothing fancy. Bigwig also has some cool lead guitar parts on their songs.

phil992
04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
*yawns*

If you don't want your opinion judged, don't force your ideology upon others by posting in a debate. :bonk:

Just like you have the right to an opinion, so do I. And my opinion is that yours is wrong.

[quote]I don't believe I just took the time to read through all this ****.[./quote]

Neither do I. You blatantly haven't understood the fundamentals of my argument. I never even said that Barre chords doesn't make someone a great musician. You're a very clever girl, you know that, because you're taking something I've said, and taken it further. This is called exaggeration. I said that barre chords aren?t as boring to listen to.

??I?ve come to terms with my limitations as a guitar player. So I?m trying to break those boundaries? But I?m always trying to add to my repertoire? every time I play Headspace live it?s still hard to do. But I do love having those little fits and flurries.?

Well, I don?t think that Slash appreciates your opinion.

But hey, that?s just my opinion :rolleyes:

And who has more standing as a musician out of Slash, and some whiny bitch called Phil or whatever? That?s a rhetorical question if ever I saw one.

A bit strong for an opinion don?t you think?

Well, I'm going to Mount Fuji to kill myself, because I do not deserve music.
I?d leave you my amps, because you?re a much more worthy musician, but unfortunately, you?re a total cunt.

So, like, get the fuck out.

That Slash quote had nothing to do with this discussion. Not that it would matter if it did, I don't even like his band. And you stated your opinions in an insulting way; I did the same with mine.

BrianApocalypse
04-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry if you didn?t get the relevance of the quote, I was in a rush when I posted it. So, I?ll clarify.

The point is that Slash thinks that it is good musicianship to constantly push your boundaries and limitations as a musician when playing and writing

Indeed, this is sensible, because it is probably the best way to get better all the time.

There is no such thing as the perfect guitarist, even Hendrix doesn?t come close. I would estimate that the majority of guitarists are trying to get as good as possible at the instrument, and playing as well as you possibly can is what will theoretically put new ideas and creativity into the mix. Obviously, this isn?t always going to work in practice. It?s the increase of things to do in the playing, which makes the guitar line more interesting to an audience.

Back to this:
Just because a bands songs are easy to play does not mean they are bad musicians.

It doesn?t make them good musicians either. It doesn?t make them better musicians than someone who challenges their limitations on a daily basis in order to break through into a new school of playing.

That?s the basic relevancy of the quote.

BrianApocalypse
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Also, I don?t like Guns and Roses either, but it is blatant that Slash knows what he?s talking about.

minorthreat123
04-17-2006, 08:28 PM
bad religion has some good solos

Joe Publicity
04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Captain Sensible does some really cool Solos,not like I know what I'm talking about cos I'm not a guitarist, But for me, I can't think of anybody elses that sound as good. Brian Baker from Bad Religion Once said all he has ever done is copy Captain Sensibles guitar style.

phil992
04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Sorry if you didn?t get the relevance of the quote, I was in a rush when I posted it. So, I?ll clarify.

The point is that Slash thinks that it is good musicianship to constantly push your boundaries and limitations as a musician when playing and writing

Indeed, this is sensible, because it is probably the best way to get better all the time.

There is no such thing as the perfect guitarist, even Hendrix doesn?t come close. I would estimate that the majority of guitarists are trying to get as good as possible at the instrument, and playing as well as you possibly can is what will theoretically put new ideas and creativity into the mix. Obviously, this isn?t always going to work in practice. It?s the increase of things to do in the playing, which makes the guitar line more interesting to an audience.

Back to this:

It doesn?t make them good musicians either. It doesn?t make them better musicians than someone who challenges their limitations on a daily basis in order to break through into a new school of playing.

That?s the basic relevancy of the quote.

Yeh, but it doesn't make them bad musicians. Earlier in this thread you very much implied that it did. Generally people learn what they want to play. If a punk band guitarist has been playing mainly power chords for 20 years it is much more likely to be because thats what they want to be playing. If they don't try to improve at guitar it is because they are happy with their current abilites. Imagine that you just really, really like the sound of simplistic punk music. Maybe some more complicated guitar parts sound kinda cool to you, but you don't like them enough to spend the time learning.

Maybe you'd rather spend the time writing songs instead of practising with a metronome until you're the greatest technical guitarist on earth. However, if you love the sound of extremely technical guitar then practicing all day would be the way to go.

Obie
04-30-2006, 12:53 PM

New York Dolls
The Clash
Agent Orange
Agnostic Front (If you like shred, you'll like some of Stigma's work)
Aus Rotten
Bad Brains
The Beerleaders
Black Flag
Stray Cats/Brian Setzer (if you count him as punk - but he's amazing anyway, so listen!)
The Circle Jerks
Corrosion of Conformity (If you'd count them as punk)
D.R.I.
The Damned
Dead Kennedys
Discharge
Faraquet
Fear
MC5
No Cash
Social Distortion
The Stooges
Subhumans
The Suspicion
Television
U.S. Bombs

much better list than what that planetary_ruins guy posted. the ones he posted arent even punk bands

Obie
04-30-2006, 12:54 PM
^ ^ ^Shame they are WANK. Not really punk but I could imagine punks maybe liking them - Ween have some pretty good solos.

well said, rise against is not punk

some of you younger kids need to stick it in your ignorant heads that this music nowadays is not punk, its pop punk

llanafreak44
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Listen to social distortion, almost all their songs have a intermidietee to hard solo

BrianApocalypse
04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeh, but it doesn't make them bad musicians. Earlier in this thread you very much implied that it did. Generally people learn what they want to play. If a punk band guitarist has been playing mainly power chords for 20 years it is much more likely to be because thats what they want to be playing. If they don't try to improve at guitar it is because they are happy with their current abilites

It might be what he wants to hear, but think about this, after 20 years of using 12 chords, it?s going to get pretty repetitive, no? As an audience, I would not be too interested in samey songs, and it?s the audience who really judge what is good and what is not. Guitarists can play what they want, but if no-one else is interested in listening to it, they might as well be doing Steve Vai?s 10 hour workout in their bedroom.

As for my earlier very much implication, saying it makes them bad musicians is an exxageration, but it isn?t untrue. Please refer to the earlier stuff about limiations, blah, etc.

Imagine that you just really, really like the sound of simplistic punk music. Maybe some more complicated guitar parts sound kinda cool to you, but you don't like them enough to spend the time learning.

I can imagine that, but I can?t associate to it. Johnny Thunders owns Johnny Ramone, even if Syl Syl is biatchin?. Lead guitar is exciting for both musicians and non-musicians, even in punk music. If it?s good lead it will be liked enough to want to learn. It?s the same with rhythm: if it sucks I don?t care very much for it at all.

Maybe you'd rather spend the time writing songs instead of practising with a metronome until you're the greatest technical guitarist on earth. However, if you love the sound of extremely technical guitar then practicing all day would be the way to go.

I do both. Obviously, there?s no substitute for practicing when you have to get down a new technique or chord, but the moment you have the basic hang, start writing a song, and incorporate this technique in the writing. Why? 1.) You get a breath of fresh air in your writing 2.) You get the best of both worlds in terms of practice and songwriting 3.) You will remember the technique much better.

I only practice for about an hour a day max, and I get better all the time. I use a metronome much less, but you really need to use one however technically, or not technically, you play. It?s fine to be a bit sloppy live, it?s the norm, but in the studio, you ain?t gonna cut it. And sure, you can always give away your cd?s, it?s a very, very, very good thing to do. But if that playing ain?t tight enough, someone?s cd is going to wind up as a tea coaster :)

~~cemetary~~
05-18-2006, 10:12 PM
there's some solos in rancid

webaldo
05-19-2006, 03:40 AM
punk music promotes punk culture, so on the beginning people without some music knowledge played that music, when punk started to be known in world there were more and more musicians who had many advanced knowledge than musicians before but they loved punk so they started playing solos in punk and thats nothing bad.. Mick Geggus from Cockney Rejects have solos from the beginning of the bend, you can see his influents through time on their web (eddie van halen is one of them.). anti heros had some amasing solos on their live albums, black flag, partisans, thing green line of oi polloi is amasing guitar song too.. or east bay ray who always showed with his solos what is happening in the story of the song etc..

CowsWithGuns
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
^ What the ****?

RockThe40oz
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

Axe Miester
07-28-2006, 11:01 PM
The best punk rock guitar solo ever is by Robert Quine of Richard Hell and the Voidoids on "Blank Generation". The guy is on phuckin fire on those two lead breaks (cuz one was definitely not enough). As for some cool feedback/noise, I'm definitely partial to "Youth Yoputh Youth" from the first Generation X album. The fact that a punk song, actually a pretty great punk song, can have like a five minute solo that has Derwood Andrews controlling feedback behind Tony James' cool bass lines and Mark Laff's machine gun drumming makes this a must listen for any punk guitarist. As for hardcore punk it's hard for me to pick something cause I was brought up listening to Brian James (actually met him backstage when he was performing with Stiv Bators and I made him show me his main lick, twice), James Williamson's metallic sound on "Search and Destroy" (though everything else on that record sux), Andy Gill (the feedback he gets out of a Marlboro amp on "Anthrax" from the single, not the album, is just phuckin' incredible) and Keith Levine on "Pop tones" is surreal in a acid trip way. But lets face it, if you're in a hardcore punk band and you wanna lay down a bitchin' solo, you're gonna hafta listen to Rock when the competition between guitarists was someting fierce and no way listening to Dr. Know (the guitarist or the band) will help you come up with something viable and kick ass. ;) ;)

The Axe Miester! :liplick:

P.S. I think I'll transcribe "Smash it up Part One" in honor of the original :devil: punk guitarists that had that sweet sense of style down pat.

opivy21
07-28-2006, 11:21 PM
^ Agreed about Robert Quine. I finally got Blank Generation yesterday - Quine and Ivan Julian are on fire the entire cd. Those two made some of the most interesting punk guitar parts ever in my opinion.

Iluvpowerchords
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
The best punk rock guitar solo ever is by Robert Quine of Richard Hell and the Voidoids on "Blank Generation". The guy is on phuckin fire on his two lead breaks (cuz one was definitely not enough). As for some cool feedback/noise, I'm definitely partial to "Youth Yoputh Youth" from the first Generation X album. The fact that a punk song, actually a pretty great punk song, can have like a five minute solo that has Derwood Andrews controlling feedback behind Tony James' cool bass lines and Mark Laff's machine gun drumming makes this a must listen for any punk guitarist. James Williamson on "Search and Destroy" (though everything else on that record sux)

1. Robert Quine is the best guitarist to have ever graced punk rawk, and Blank Generation is one of the best solos. (I say this alot.) Have you ever heard Bob's solo on Lou Reed's "Waves of Fear?" It's brilliant. I don't think he plays a single traditional "note." It sounds like the guitar is having a nervous breakdown!

2. Feedback is cool. I think the Velvets used it best (Sister Ray)

3. Raw Power had more good tracks than just "Search and Destroy" Ex: Raw Power, and Hard to Beat. Actually the only song on Raw Power I don't like would be "I need Somebody." Although I will say "Funhouse" is my favorite Stooges Record.

4. The more I think about it, the less and less I like James Williamson. Ron Asheton fit the Stooges best.

That was just me fixing some of your opinions :D ;)

Axe Miester
07-28-2006, 11:53 PM
I think Ron Asheton is an incredible bassist ( especially on that one version of "I got a right" where he comes in with the sliding bass line ) and I love Fun House but the sax is playing more leads than Ron Asheton. I also like Williamson's solo on "Chairman on the Bored" ( from Iggy's No Values ) so even though the Stooges had better albums prior to Raw Power (just my opinion, that's all) the metalic sound he gets from his guitar is what really impresses me. Robert Quine died not too long ago (suicide, I believe). I remember one afternoon driving a taxi and seeing him walking the streets of lower manhattan with this woman so I peeled up to him, jumped out of the cab and begged him to give me his autograpgh cuz "you're my favorite guitar player". He did and then thanked me on the sly for making him look good around his date. I'm glad I did it cuz I don't collect autographs but I do like making my guitar heroes feel good any time I can.
I'm not familiar with "Waves of Fear" but I will seek it out. His lead work on "Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet was phuckin' slamming. Kind of like you described, as if he's pulling notes from Jupiter to Mars until it finally graces us here on planet Earth. I'm positive the guitar gods have him sitting amongst them up there in Valhalla. :cool:
Just curious, do you like the second Reagan Youth album? That would be songs 11-22 on A collection of pop classics.

Iluvpowerchords
07-29-2006, 01:02 AM
^ Yeah, The Ashetons did make a hell of a rhythm section. I read somewhere that Iggy attributed that to a "telepathic bond" of sorts. I thought the Sax was a nice touch on Funhouse. Especially the way that Ron and Steve played leads at the same time. It gave some of the songs a kind of Free form feeling.

I'd certainly stop a cab to meet Robert Quine :p:

As for the Reagan Youth thing. I think the first 11 are all brilliant examples of how good hardcore can be, and the ones after are spotty but not without a few good gems.

Soaper
08-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Old Bad Religion has some really good solo's and what about The Holy Mountain but i guess they might be more of a crossover band but they have some pretty sick guitar

llanafreak44
08-06-2006, 01:14 AM
i agree with that one dude, anti-flag does have some pretty good solos, even though most of yall think they suck

IlikeTheSKA
08-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I'd certainly stop a cab to meet Robert Quine :p:

Haha, I would too. He has been called the "inventor of punk guitar solos". A shame he killed himself, however.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, and I think Bullet for my Valentine all have good solos. We need more of those guys. But from the post on the first page, if punk had Randy style solos, I could cry w/ happiness.

RockThe40oz
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
My Chemical Romance, Avenged Sevenfold, and I think Bullet for my Valentine all have good solos. We need more of those guys. But from the post on the first page, if punk had Randy style solos, I could cry w/ happiness.

We don't need any of those guys. They're not punk. At all.

Harmonius
08-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Top 40 Hit - Tsunami Bomb

Now that is a tune. Pretty awesome and very nice use of harmonics. It's a shred-style lick. Unfortunately, there are no tabs for the solo and the solo it too hard to work out.

Great_What?
08-06-2006, 01:49 PM
We don't need any of those guys. They're not punk. At all.

Thanks 40, I was just about to say the same thing.
Furthermore, what is it with all these pricks coming around and saying that "punk should have Randy Roads' (or _____ guitarist's) solos"? I find that incredibly ****ing stupid and thickheaded-- if you want to listen to Randy Roads, go ****in pull out a RR album 'cause it ain't going to be heard here. What's worse, is all this comparison bull****; cut it the **** out, wouldya? It's all personal opinion.

cheers

Pick It Up123
08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
no cash has a really good guitar player. as does leftover crack and choking victim...i mean, the use of natural and pinch harmonics, octaves and the tapping over parts really sound good to me...but i guess im an idiot for like loc...haha, iknow alot of people here hate em

TheAdict310
08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
no cash has a really good guitar player. as does leftover crack and choking victim...i mean, the use of natural and pinch harmonics, octaves and the tapping over parts really sound good to me...but i guess im an idiot for like loc...haha, iknow alot of people here hate em

No Cash has amazing guitar. I've never been too impressed by Leftover Crack or Choking Victim's guitar, but they sound good anyway.

Punk Rocker
08-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Im happy with simple melodic solos. Going through scales up and down really fast dosent appeal to me...

Iluvpowerchords
08-21-2006, 12:27 AM
BTW.

Billy Zoom is freakin' ridiculous. I saw X tonight and he was playing these face melting solos with the sweetest grin on his face. He made it look like he could sleep while playing his parts.

It was an amazing show.

greggybhoy
08-21-2006, 05:48 AM
For me, the best solos to come out of punk music were from Mick Jones of The Clash. He was a seriously underrated guitarist, who wasn't given nearly enough credit for his talent. He was like the punk version of Keith Richards. The Jam had good solos when Paul Weller decided to put one in (think: "Strange Town), and after recently getting into the 'Dolls I like their soloing too - probably because it's the level of skill I aspire to - does that make me humble in my ambitions with guitar!?

Personally, I'm not up for any shredding solos in punk music because I don't think it would add to the music - however I could see a Randy Rhodes style solo fitting in though because as it was said earlier, there is feeling in his playing, but it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Aidy Damage
08-21-2006, 05:50 AM
'Blank Generation' by Richard Hell and the Voidoids has a sweet solo

opivy21
08-21-2006, 07:25 AM
BTW.

Billy Zoom is freakin' ridiculous. I saw X tonight and he was playing these face melting solos with the sweetest grin on his face. He made it look like he could sleep while playing his parts.

It was an amazing show.
I read an interview with Billy where he said that he smiles all the time because when he was little and he saw bands on TV, the guitarists would play easy stuff with looks on their faces like it was really hard stuff, so Billy started actually playing really hard stuff and grinning the whole time.

And I'm jealous of not seeing X.

ss311
08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
I like some of the stiff little fingers solos actually.

TheAdict310
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I like Social Distortion's solos even though they're not too complicated, and they're usually just like the chorus, but still.

Iluvpowerchords
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I read an interview with Billy where he said that he smiles all the time because when he was little and he saw bands on TV, the guitarists would play easy stuff with looks on their faces like it was really hard stuff, so Billy started actually playing really hard stuff and grinning the whole time.

And I'm jealous of not seeing X.

If the Rollins Band/ X tour is coming any where even remotely near you I suggest you go.

It was righteous! There were maybe 75 people at the show last night (I may be under with that estimate) so it was real intimate. It was kind of surreal seeing Henry Rollins and the members of X so damn close up, and X is amazing live.

captain_jack
08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
complete control by the clash has a pretty badass solo in it.

ultimate_punk
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
78 RPM- Stiff Little Fingers

****in' erotic

The Pit Dancer
08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
buzzcocks

solos are so simple its ridiculous (if they can be called solos)

joeyramoney
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I was suprised that only one guy talked about Joe Strummer. Well, i forgot what i was gonna say besides that, so good day.

the clash's lead guitarist was mick jones, strummer was just rhythm.

Metallica32791
08-22-2006, 08:22 PM
social d.

capsfan17
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
If the Rollins Band/ X tour is coming any where even remotely near you I suggest you go.

It was righteous! There were maybe 75 people at the show last night (I may be under with that estimate) so it was real intimate. It was kind of surreal seeing Henry Rollins and the members of X so damn close up, and X is amazing live.

damnit, I couldnt afford to go... I went to the Mad Conductor insted, which was pretty cool

Osiris77
08-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Listen to lagwagon

Choking Victim
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
DSNF. Thee only band.