Porcupine Tree

PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

oblique
12-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but anyway...
I heard them for the first time a few days ago and was really impressed, I've downloaded a few tracks and will be getting In Absentia soon. The fact that they've been labeled prog might turn some people off, but the songwriting is great and Steve Wilson's vocals are just awesome. Great musicianship too, and while they do have some stereotypical 12 minute prog epics I much prefer the shorter songs that I've heard. Blackest Eyes, Trains, and Sound of Muzak are awesome.

Anyone else like them?

funkyrabbit7
12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I've also recently found out about them, and I really like them
lol the fact that they've been labelled prog may in fact turn some people off but it can also make some people give them a chance, and to speak the truth they are mostly prog except for some tracks in wich tehy vary the musica they play...
Anyway I recommende them ;)

AsianPirate
12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
go to waaf.com and go to the In-Studio Tunes on the left- find them- there's Sound Of Muzak and Lazarus acoustic- they're wonderful

oblique
12-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I've also recently found out about them, and I really like them
lol the fact that they've been labelled prog may in fact turn some people off but it can also make some people give them a chance, and to speak the truth they are mostly prog except for some tracks in wich tehy vary the musica they play...
Anyway I recommende them ;)

Well, from what I've heard they're more Pink Floyd prog than "Let's throw as many weird time signatures as we can into this song" prog. Which is the stereotype a lot of people have when they think about prog, and luckily there are no 3 minute synth solos in the songs I've heard.

drunken ninja
12-22-2005, 04:25 PM
yea porcupine tree is amazing. in absentia and deadwing are both great albums.

xxgenocide98xx
12-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Belongs in prog/shred though, doesnt it? I think it'd get more replies there.

oblique
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
I guess... but Pink Floyd gets put in Classic Rock, and Porcupine Tree doesn't have that much in common with Yes or Kansas.

Andrewbiles
12-22-2005, 04:46 PM
They're an amazing band. I've got four or five albums from them and I could quite happily listen to them end on end (but I don't).

ChurchNSkate
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
^No...Porcupine Tree is Progressive.

Pink Floyd isn't progressive, at least I haven't heard any prog in them. They're 100% classic (if psychodelic) rock.

Porcupine Tree is all progressive goodness.

Axegrinder#9
12-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Porcupine Tree is teh pwnzzz!

seriously I love this band to death, and lyrically their's is some of the finest stuff I've seen... ever...
a lotta people complained about their shift to a heavier sound in their more recent albums like "In Absentia" and "Deadwing", but I think that they still incorporated their best musical elements from their older albums into a different framework. Great ****ing band, god bless Steve Wilson.

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
I've heard about this band I'm really into prog metal at the moment, wanting to get into more earlier prog as well....I suppose "In Abstentia" and "Deadwing" are good places to start? I hear those albums mentioned the most.

Axegrinder#9
12-22-2005, 09:11 PM
^ well I'd actually recommend you start off with some of their earlier albums like "Up the Downstair", "Stupid Dream" and "The Sky Moves Sideways"

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-22-2005, 09:12 PM
^Interesting, I'll try to check those out. Thanks.
:cheers:

chase09
12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
hmm, im listening to soundclips from their site for deadwing. i must say its pretty good. cant wait for my parents to get back from some company christmas party for my dads work so i can show them to him. :D

ChildofBodom
12-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Incredible band. Everything they've done is complete class. I'd go for On the Sunday of Life or Stupid Dream (out of print, check eBay!) first, but that's me. Also, look for the cassette stuff! It's awesome.

InfiniteSadness
12-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Love PT, I saw them two weeks ago (third time this year..) and they were awesome, they're real good when performing live.

And check out some songs from their whole back catalogue, beautiful music.

I want the dvd to come out, I'm sure it will be worth buying, does anyone have some information about the setlist?

Andrewbiles
12-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I've heard about this band I'm really into prog metal at the moment, wanting to get into more earlier prog as well....I suppose "In Abstentia" and "Deadwing" are good places to start? I hear those albums mentioned the most.

Personally I wouldn't recommend 'Deadwing'. It's a decent album, but in comparison to 'Stupid dream', 'in absentia' and 'lightbulb sun' it's really quite poor.

«ÃFireÏnside»
12-23-2005, 09:14 PM
^Thanks, I managed to get a few tracks off In Abstentia and I quite liked them, inspired me to try to get more stuff from them. I really like their sound, quite cool. Different then stuff I'm normally into but I could really get into this stuff.

gimme_fuel_89
12-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I love PT, I don't know why they haven't gained more commercial success. They're amazingly talented and their music is very accessible.

anthonyzoso89
12-23-2005, 11:57 PM
get the album The Sky Moves Sideways its amazing

PooKoo
12-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I just downloaded a bunch, and i must say, i ****in love it.

Thank you, all of you, for turning me on to them.

btw, any specific songs you guys can reccomend?
Im not gonna be able to buy anything to a while after christmas.

anthonyzoso89
12-24-2005, 10:09 AM
The Moon Touches Your Shoulder

The Sky Moves Sideways (phase one)

Mellotron Scratch

oblique
12-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Trains is brilliant, just an amazing song. Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes are great too. I haven't heard much of their stuff either, I'll be getting an album as soon as I have the money.

PooKoo
12-24-2005, 10:54 AM
thank you.

Dreadnought
12-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Trains is brilliant, just an amazing song. Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes are great too. I haven't heard much of their stuff either, I'll be getting an album as soon as I have the money.

Man, I LOVE trains. Definitely my favorite song off of In Absentia.

Porcupine Tree are amazing... My MOHAA name is Porcupine Tree :p:

benchiefjr
01-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Are there any other bands that sound like PT, because IMO Porcupine Tree are absolutely brilliant

SGRocker0791
01-21-2006, 08:27 PM
The fact that they've been labeled prog might turn some people off,...

Doesn't for me. :p: I've heard about Porcupine Tree on the Progforum before, I might check them out.

Resiliance
01-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth >

seljer
01-21-2006, 08:56 PM
This might be of interest to all you people here: http://www.demonoid.com/torrents/details/262419/

I've had it for a while and made a torrent of it a couple of days ago

Erc
01-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Yea I've liked from what I've heard of them awhile back. Never got around to buying an album though.

Night_Lights
01-21-2006, 11:55 PM
awesome. fav songs are

Trains
lazarus
blackest eyes
chloroform

xxgenocide98xx
01-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I ab-so-****ing-lutely love PT. They're ****in awesome to listen to. They're one of the few bands that I listen to that chicks dont have a problem with (its pretty hard trying to get your ****in groove on when you've got a tech death metal band in the background, lol.)

narmi
01-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Excellent band

I have Deadwing and In Absentia

I have heard Lightbulb Sun

Yeah, I'm a bit of a PT n00b :sad:

LedZeppelin
01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
They're one of the few bands that I listen to that chicks dont have a problem with (its pretty hard trying to get your ****in groove on when you've got a tech death metal band in the background, lol.)

Dude, just buy one Michael Bolton album. You'll be set for life.

benchiefjr
01-22-2006, 09:16 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=138242861598716315&q=porcupine+tree OMG full live concert of Porcupine Tree....Amazing

SGRocker0791
01-22-2006, 09:18 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=138242861598716315&q=porcupine+tree OMG full live concert of Porcupine Tree....Amazing

Awesome find! I'll watch it later.

gimme_fuel_89
01-23-2006, 07:28 AM
What are the best songs off Deadwing?

«ÃFireÏnside»
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM

I love you.

PooKoo
01-23-2006, 06:07 PM
****in sweeeeet

Musicman48858
01-30-2006, 11:33 PM
What are the best songs off Deadwing?

Deadwing
Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here
Mellotron Scratch

or, if you're more of a metal fan than a prog fan
Open Car
Shallow

gunsn'pjs
02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
i recently found out about PT from one of the cd reviews on this site and decided to check them out. They are probably my favorite modern band right now. The music is so amazing. Its the kind of music i would want to play.

rushman55
02-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Porcupine Tree is very good and underrated. They remind me a little bit of pink floyd just because they have some kinda trippy music, yet floyd is stillbetter.

John Kimble
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Pink Floyd isn't progressive, at least I haven't heard any prog in them. They're 100% classic (if psychodelic) rock.

Are you retarded? Pink Floyd could not get more progressive. Listen to a song like echoes and tell me they arent prog.

boba fett
02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
i've been into PT for a little while now and i love em. but im wondering if anyone could reccomend bands that are similar to them in some way(style, genre, general awesomeness, etc). any help is much appreciated

oblique
02-24-2006, 09:12 AM
If you can deal with some death metal vocals, check out Opeth. Steve Wilson produced a few of their albums, and they have a really great metal/prog/acoustic sound. Their singber is a very good clean singer as well, and if the growls turn you off they did make an all clean album called Damnation.

perpetual shred
02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
i would say floyd are prog but not like prog metal or rock like dream theater. but ya can't say theyr'e not progressive. they sorta sound like a classic rock/jazz guitar band.

«ÃFireÏnside»
02-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I heard Deadwing and Lightbulb Sun for the first time the other day, to add to my collection of Stupid Dream and In Abstentia....the more I hear from this band the more they blow me away, such an amazing band. Looking at getting Signify next...

TimmyPage06
03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Of that full concert.. if you havent the time for it, at least watch THIS

Trains (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4550953707036498506&q=trains+tree)

LedZeppelin
03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I love Porcupine Tree. I borrowed In Absentia from my friend and ripped it to my computer. Kinda didn't like it at first, but it's much deeper than it immediately lets on. Great stuff.

Night_Lights
03-04-2006, 03:54 AM
i have in absentia it is amazing.

greenbottlecap
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
yeah, i need more porcupine tree. but from what i have, hello is my favorite.

narmi
03-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Can't stop listening to Deadwing at the moment

Some fantastic moments on there

pentagram_man63
03-07-2006, 04:46 PM
^ Yeah, I only have that album. Shallow is a great song, so is Deadwing and So Called Friend... theyre all great! I love the dreamy feel to some of their songs. VERY underrated IMO and need to be more heard of.

Is In Absentia good? I only have Trains and that is an amazing song, I was thinking about getting the album.

Andrewbiles
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
^ 'In Absentia' is a lot better than 'Deadwing', so as you like 'Deadwing' I highly suggest you look into some of the older stuff.

Downloaded a live acoustic show of Steven Wilson the other day out of curiousity of what the PT stuff would sound like played solo, and it's pretty damn sweet. Got it off dimeadozen if anyone else is interested in it.

narmi
03-08-2006, 09:55 AM
^ Yeah, I only have that album. Shallow is a great song, so is Deadwing and So Called Friend... theyre all great! I love the dreamy feel to some of their songs. VERY underrated IMO and need to be more heard of.

Is In Absentia good? I only have Trains and that is an amazing song, I was thinking about getting the album.

In Absentia is fantastic

I used think it was far superior to Deadwing, but Deadwing has really grown on me.

In Absentia is still better though - definately get it.

They're re-releasing Stupid Dream and some other records in the next month or so, should be great :)

Andrewbiles
03-08-2006, 09:58 AM
^ Really?
That's annoying, I felt priviledged having a copy of 'stupid dream' :(

narmi
03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
^ Really?
That's annoying, I felt priviledged having a copy of 'stupid dream' :(

Yeah, I've only got into them recently and haven't been able to find many old albums at decent prices.

Check their website, I think it's being released with a bonus DVD and some other stuff.

seljer
03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Apparently theres a 40 minute version of the song Moonloop floating about :eek: and other various multiple versions of their earlier slightly more psychedelic stuff

narmi
03-08-2006, 10:15 AM
The reissue of Porcupine Tree's 1999 album Stupid Dream will be available in early 2006 in the form of a 2 disc set containing a remixed and remastered stereo CD, and a 5.1 surround sound DVDA (with DTS encoded version which will play on any DVD player equipped with a surround sound / home cinema speaker set up). The 5.1 disc also contains surround sound mixes of "Ambulance Chasing" and the full length version of "Even Less", the video to "Piano Lessons", and a photo gallery. Lasse Hoile has also created completely new images for the reissue, since the band were never happy with the original cover design.

This 2 disc edition will only be available to buy direct from the Pocupine Tree Store. A standard CD edition will get a wider release at a later date, as well as a 2LP vinyl version on US label Gates of Dawn.

A reissue of Lightbulb Sun in 5.1 and stereo is also planned.

Andrewbiles
03-08-2006, 10:17 AM
^ Yeah, I took a look after I saw your comment, it's good though for them, they should be the ones making the money out of their CDs not these shops that you see trying to sell them on amazon for $100. It's well worth picking up. Might have to pick up a couple more of the older ones at some point as well, so thanks for pointing that out. :cheers:

TheWretched
03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
The reissue of Porcupine Tree's 1999 album Stupid Dream will be available in early 2006 in the form of a 2 disc set containing a remixed and remastered stereo CD, and a 5.1 surround sound DVDA (with DTS encoded version which will play on any DVD player equipped with a surround sound / home cinema speaker set up). The 5.1 disc also contains surround sound mixes of "Ambulance Chasing" and the full length version of "Even Less", the video to "Piano Lessons", and a photo gallery. Lasse Hoile has also created completely new images for the reissue, since the band were never happy with the original cover design.

This 2 disc edition will only be available to buy direct from the Pocupine Tree Store. A standard CD edition will get a wider release at a later date, as well as a 2LP vinyl version on US label Gates of Dawn.

A reissue of Lightbulb Sun in 5.1 and stereo is also planned.

:eek: This is Awesome! I hadn't heard of this.

fps_doug
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
All of Porcupine Tree's CD are excellent, but no one here has mentioned Voyage 34: The Complete Trip. I heard it for the first time at my friend's house (The friend who got me into PT) and it was incredible! The narrations are just trippy and weird, but theyre pretty cool. And the music is amazing. I'm hoping to pick that CD up very soon. Otherwise, my favourite CD is In Absentia, my favourite songs from that are Trains, Sound of Muzak, and Heart Attack in a Layby.

narmi
03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I only have In Absentia and Deadwing in my collection

I'm definately going to buy all of their albums when I can. Next on my list is Stupid Dream and then Lightbulb Sun (this one seems to have vanished all of a sudden :( )

Andrewbiles
03-17-2006, 08:57 AM
^ Both of those are great CDs, I've only got those four that you've mentioned, always been put off by the others because they look shorter on amazon yet the same price.

narmi
03-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah exactly, I hate it when you buy an expensive album that is really short and in the end not really worth it.

TheWretched
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I've also only got In Absentia and Deadwing...though I have many songs from their other albums on my computer. I was planning on soon getting Stupid Dream but now I'll just wait for the reissue to hit stores. 'Trains', 'Heartattack in a Lay By', 'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' 'Baby Dream in Cellophane' and 'Open Car' are some of my personal favorite tracks. Awesome band.

PooKoo
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
does anyone have the tab, or just chords at least, for the rest will flow?

pentagram_man63
03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
They have a DVD????? Ill be getting it then.

BTW what are the best albums to get? I already have Deadwing. PT are so underrated :(

TheWretched
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
^I agree. They are quite underrated. You must[U] get 'In Absentia'!

laggard
05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
i really love half light...although it misght be lil slow for many people liking, i still love it...

mostlyharmless
05-20-2006, 03:27 PM
lightbulb sun, in absentia and then deadwing.. how do these guys do it. i started listening about a couple of months ago. i can still listen to deadwing over and over again
'arriving somewhere..' is a masterpiece. and the new version of 'shesmovedon' kicks some too.
im gonna get the other albums soon

Yespleasevicar
07-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Fuc king brilliant band

longliverockn69
07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
amazing band i just got most of their discography and very pleased with all of their music. just waiting for september to see the dvd.

dazedandconfusd
07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I finally got a copy of On the Sunday of Life, and I must say it's incredible. Well worth the $30 (it was used, meaning some idiot didn't know the value of it). Radioactive Toy is quite orgasmic...now I just need Lightbulb Sun...

longliverockn69
07-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I finally got a copy of On the Sunday of Life, and I must say it's incredible. Well worth the $30 (it was used, meaning some idiot didn't know the value of it). Radioactive Toy is quite orgasmic...now I just need Lightbulb Sun...

The original one?!?!!? if it is you're one luckky bastard, if it isn't they ripped you off

SGRocker0791
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Awesome, awesome band IMO.

mrantony
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I have In Absentia and Deadwing. In Absentia is a ****ing classic album but i havent quite got into Deadwing yet, im sure i will with time though. One thing i looove about PT is the vocal harmonies!

dazedandconfusd
07-16-2006, 09:35 PM
The original one?!?!!? if it is you're one luckky bastard, if it isn't they ripped you off
Yeah it's the original, I'm a lucky bastard :D

NevermorePsalm
07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
I like Steve Wilson's hair.

longliverockn69
07-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Yeah it's the original, I'm a lucky bastard :D

:eek:
Indeed you are there are only bout 20000 copies of that and the fact that it was completly done by SW=awesome.

lucky bastard barnone. :cool:

NevermorePsalm
07-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Besides my slightly meterosexual comment before, (lol) PT is becoming one of my favorite bands. Lazarus is beautiful.

duncang
08-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Porcupine Tree is genius, pure genius. In Absentia is a masterpiece in my eyes. I love every single PT track I have.

SlashHammett
08-07-2006, 06:40 AM
goin to see PT september 13th :)

narmi
10-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Picked up the reissue of Stupid Dream - fantastic album, love it

Also picked up:

Up the Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways

After they release their next album, their going to rerelease Lightbulb Sun.

Excellent.

walkinbazooka
11-18-2006, 11:00 AM

It's all about what side you're on really.

Pink Floyd made MOST of their music in the classic rock era, however, their sound is certainly prog.

Usually die hard Pink Floyd fans (like me) consider them prog but the casual listener or the skeptic tosses them in the classic rock bin.

Scorzerci
11-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Pink Floyd are definitely prog rock!
Currently, Lazarus is my favourite song. For the most part of the last 3 days I've just had that song on repeat.

Resiliance
11-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Bleh, just like calling Zappa classic rock, calling Floyd classic rock is just BS.

Axegrinder#9
11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
all you guys who dig PT and any self-respecting psychonaut, get the album "Voyage 34: The Complete Trip" - this is from back in the day when PT was just Steven Wilson... it's a part of the collection which he labeled "The Delirium Years" - crazy ****

midnitehysteria
11-19-2006, 12:35 PM
voyage 34 is ****ing hilarious. after the first track (phase 1) they explain how the album is about steven wilsons 34th lsd trip...very psychadelic. theyre new stuff is a lot different, but if youre into the Pink Floyd sound then check out "on the sunday of life" "up the downstair" "signify" and "the sky moves sideways".

Neon Knight
11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Are there any other bands that sound like PT, because IMO Porcupine Tree are absolutely brilliant

Opeth come to mind

anyway, this PT are one of my favorite bands, the solo in "A smart kid" kills me.

Scorzerci
11-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know how to play the main piano part of lazarus on piano?

SGRocker0791
11-24-2006, 08:38 PM
I bought Deadwing and In Absentia today. Almost done with In Absentia. Lovin the music. :)

David_VI
11-28-2006, 03:24 PM
A band kinda simular to Porcupine tree are Riverside :).

And well also Anathema but only slightly. Anathema were Doom metal and are slowly edging towards prog rock/atmosheric rock.. still rather depressive lyrical themes but in a good way.. although their new songs are the first positive stuff they've ever written..

Sorry i'm an Anathema fanboy.

-BobboHead-
11-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Hey all. New fan of PT here. Downloaded some of their songs last nite and must say..WOW! I can believe I haven't discovered this band earlier! I mean all the songs I have are awesome. Everytime I listened I think "THIS is how music should be made!". I've been searching for another band to fit my musical preferences and I think I fount it with Porcupine Tree. It's hard, its complex, great vocals...at first glance, FLAWLESS.

Fav Songs: Shallow, Lazarus, Halo, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Blackest Eyes, Trains, Sound of Muzak, Wedding Nails, Prodigal.

Night_Lights
11-30-2006, 07:37 AM
just got deadwing, title track is awesome!

SGRocker0791
12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
just got deadwing, title track is awesome!

You're welcomed. :)

Andrewbiles
12-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Every time I hear 'strip the soul' (just came on again) it drives me mad, who stole that intro bassline?
It wasn't a complete rip-off, but there is a song very, very similar.

EDIT: Ah, Velvet Revolver.

JimFear86
12-07-2006, 01:50 AM
PT own my soul :D

Gravity Eyelids is probably my favourite song, with Even Less, Russia on Ice, and Trains following close behind.

Rocker3829
12-07-2006, 02:58 AM
amazing band, Absolutely love "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" and "lazarus". Very Melodic

I forgot to add that Steven Wilson is a genious, especially his side project Blackfield and his producing skills(Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation for example)

SGRocker0791
12-07-2006, 07:22 AM
+1 to Steven Wilson is a genius. Seems like everything he does is awesome.

Ackj
12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is an incredible song. Plus it features a solo by Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth.

PooKoo
12-09-2006, 01:17 PM
it does?
I've been listening to it for over a year and didn't know that.

Neon Knight
12-09-2006, 02:58 PM
it does?
I've been listening to it for over a year and didn't know that.

Neither did I, however regarding Steve Wilsons genius, he co wrote Opeths "Death Whispered a Lullaby" which is a great song.

PooKoo
12-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Never knew he produced for them either, but I can definetely see the resemblance between Opeth's damnation and any of pt's slower stuff (buying new soul especially).

and i love death whispered a lullaby.

PooKoo
12-09-2006, 10:31 PM
does anyone actually have the up the downstair cd?

(if so could you pm me to discuss the wonders of steve wilson?)

jagstang270
12-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I am a long tiem fan of Porcupine Tree, and I was AMAZED that they are not that well known, I think Steven Wilson Is a genius and everything he touches turns to gold (i.e Opeth, Blackfield, and the new Orphaned Land album that he is producing..)

EDIT: Anyone ever heard of Blackfield?

www.myspace.com/blackfield

PooKoo
12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Of course i've heard of blackfield, great stuff.

Especially lullaby.

bloodstained
12-10-2006, 08:44 PM
It's all about what side you're on really.

Pink Floyd made MOST of their music in the classic rock era, however, their sound is certainly prog.

Usually die hard Pink Floyd fans (like me) consider them prog but the casual listener or the skeptic tosses them in the classic rock bin.

Pink Floyd mixed it up with the best of progressive. They were friends with bands like Yes and Soft Machine and blended right into the Canterbury scene. Though saying that doesn’t mean much, Jimi Hendrix was nearly going to be the fourth member of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, but then again, Hendrix’s music wasn’t progressive, Pink Floyd’s is.

adagio0952
12-12-2006, 10:57 PM
can anybody send me some of their songs, or maybe a link? I am interested in hearing them, but everywere I've gone to download a song, someting happens and it doesn't work. I'm especially interested in hearing the song lazarus. My e-mail adress is: Accolade_0952@yahoo.com Thanks.

boba fett
12-23-2006, 01:45 AM
A band kinda simular to Porcupine tree are Riverside :).

And well also Anathema but only slightly. Anathema were Doom metal and are slowly edging towards prog rock/atmosheric rock.. still rather depressive lyrical themes but in a good way.. although their new songs are the first positive stuff they've ever written..

Sorry i'm an Anathema fanboy.

would you(or anyone else really) mind reccomending albums by both of those bands? any group mentioned in the same breath as PT is intriguing to me...

The_Yoki
12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I love 'em too. Saw them three times live here in Berlin and on my HD are about 150 songs from 12 LPs. Great stuff, Steve Wilson is a genius.

NevermorePsalm
12-24-2006, 04:58 PM
*Just finished learning Lazarus and Lullaby*

Pook, you're gonna need to hear the Lullaby cover. It's going to me a hard one for me to cover, my voices range doesn't, uhh, well go to high.

Confused4930
12-24-2006, 08:29 PM
...and while they do have some stereotypical 12 minute prog epics I much prefer the shorter songs that I've heard.

12 minutes is nothing. Go for The Sky Moves Sideways...clocking in at a little over 40 minutes :p:

ratm_basssolger
12-30-2006, 07:55 AM
I have In Absentia and Deadwing,both amazing albums.Steven Wilson is a genius.

PooKoo
12-31-2006, 10:53 AM
*Just finished learning Lazarus and Lullaby*

Pook, you're gonna need to hear the Lullaby cover. It's going to me a hard one for me to cover, my voices range doesn't, uhh, well go to high.

haha mine does, it's funny.
Can't wait though. Playing it piano style?

..NEM..
01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
They are amazing! Especially 'Nine Cats' has been played alot in WMP.

Scorzerci
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Got Deadwing for Christmas! w00t!

add45
01-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I love them, I've got "In Absentia", "Trains" has to be my favourite track.

PooKoo
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Love em. I say it so much in this thread, but one of my fav. bands ever.

Boghead
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
^eh so do I actually. The pieces are just so beautiful, just beautiful.

PTfan
02-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Porcupine Tree is definately my fav band...lots of ppl are asking about similar bands, i think i saw some1 already mention opeth but i would also definately recommend Riverside, listen to "second life syndrome" or "out of myself" i heard some of the songs of those and i just ordered them both :) Lol some1 said pink floyd arnt prog? not only are they prog but they are definately the best prog psychedelic band ever.When Porcupine Tree started back when it was just Steve Wilson his music was very influenced by pink floyd.Listen to "radioactive toy", its almost a complete pink floyd rip off lol.But if your new to PT i'd recommend pretty much any of their albums,"Deadwing" and "In Absentia" are great, though their really early stuff like "On The Sunday of Life" may require a more refined taste.I haven't heard Voyage 34 yet but i heard its a psychadelic masterpiece :) Anyway check out Riverside they are great :D

The_Yoki
02-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Their new album "Fear of a Blank Planet" is due to be released in April - with two guest appearences: the first one being Robert Fripp of King Crimson and the second one Alex Lifeson of Rush! Can't wait for it, really!

PooKoo
02-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Cannot wait.

PTfan
02-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Following two album playback events in New York and at Abbey Road in London, the track listing of the new Porcupine Tree album "Fear of a Blank Planet" has been revealed:

1. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28)
2. My Ashes (5.07)
3. Anesthetize (17.42)
4. Sentimental (5.26)
5. Way Out of Here (7.37)
6. Sleep Together (7.28)

The album is set for April release through Roadrunner in Europe, Atlantic in the US, and WHD Entertainment in Japan. It's likely that both the stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVDA will be packaged together as standard.

Please note that a version of the album currently listed on several mail order sites in Japan with an additional track included in the running order, and supposedly coming out in March, categorically does not exist, so do not order it!

I can't wait to hear that 18 minute masterpiece :)

SGRocker0791
02-03-2007, 11:30 AM
It's interesting to see Roadrunner getting awesome bands on their label now. Can't wait for this album.

sTx
02-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Trains & The Sky Moves Sideways are awesome tracks! They blend so many things in their music, it's amazing!

PTfan
02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Piano Lessons - music video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9CvxoeasJ2E)

Lazurus - music video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fKzGm13RrHE)

Blackest Eyes - Live (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_m0Q0Lq4e0U)

The Sound of Muzak - live (http://youtube.com/watch?v=PSMa5dVGwzk)

Trains - live (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3aFcDCRZR2k)

Signify - music video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2O5inYSyL7s)

Mother and Child Divided - Live (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eP4QDWbMw2Y)

Heartattack In a Layby (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EdSYNBF3zas&mode=related&search=)

The_Yoki
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Anyone seen Gavin Harrison's Cymbal Song on Arriving Somewhere...? It's awesome, watch it - NOW! :p:

PTfan
02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Damn i want to get arriving somewhere(dvd)!

fps_doug
02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Anyone seen Gavin Harrison's Cymbal Song on Arriving Somewhere...? It's awesome, watch it - NOW! :p:

Haha its sweet. The whole DVD is amazing.

i love all of PT, I cant get enough of it. In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing are probably my favourtie, I like listening to Voyage 34 when high. I love Phase I and Phase II, especially the guitar solo parts. They are incredible. Anyone ever put on Voyage 34 and watch the crazy graphics in Windows Media Player? :wtf its intense

Also, does anyone know where I can find the song Buying New Soul on the internet anywhere? It's on the DVD but my DVD is at home, and I'm at university. I really want to hear that song. I found it on youtube but I want to download it.

PTfan
02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Just ordered the "arriving somewhere" dvd. Can't wait!!!

Baroque_and_Rol
02-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I got In absemtia recently. Its pretty cool but I don't quite see what the huge deal is. good album though

fps_doug
02-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I heard 2 leaked tracks from the new album, Fear of a Blank Planet. They weren't really that fantastic, but I'm sure the album will be great. Like, it IS Steven Wilson.

PTfan
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I can't wait to see them live in may!

6DOIT
03-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Holy Shitzu!!!!!! The album preview on there myspace sounds amazing...........
I learned trains and lazurus yesterday......any other suggestions on songs of theirs to play acoustic???

FEDS-91
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
REALLY been getting into these guys lately. Heard / found out about them about a year ago. Lost all the contents of my hard drive and never got around to getting their stuff again. But as of recently I picked up Deadwing and Futile. Going to pick up a few more as soon as I can. Love em.

PTfan
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Here's some awsome info about the new album, listen to this (http://wms-eu.stream.aol.com/timeinc/uk/ipcmedia/uncut/07/Porcupine_Tree_Interview.mp3) (interview/monologue with SW) it also has some awsome music clips as well (the ending part of sleep together sounds awsome!!.This will most likely be my favorite PT album yet.

NevermorePsalm
04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm heading out to a PT concert May 18th. psyched for that one.

PTfan
04-11-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm going to see them May 23rd, can't wait! it's my first PT concert :)

PooKoo
04-12-2007, 06:45 AM
may 22nd hopefully for me.
Where do you live ^?

"putnamehere"
04-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm listening to In Absentia (and Porcupine Tree) for the first time right now, so far so fucking good...

PTfan
04-14-2007, 07:54 PM
may 22nd hopefully for me.
Where do you live ^?
New Jersey

EZLN libertad
04-15-2007, 12:34 AM
i shall be seein them live in june....

sam i am
04-16-2007, 08:46 AM
My newest favourite band... I got signify and recently In Absentia then Deadwing.... any ideas of what I should go for next?

And I love the heavy PT songs the most probably. Shallow ftw!

PTfan
04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
My newest favourite band... I got signify and recently In Absentia then Deadwing.... any ideas of what I should go for next?

And I love the heavy PT songs the most probably. Shallow ftw!

You definately want to get Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, great album.After that I'd suggest getting Sky Moves Sideways.Also their dvd, Arriving somwhere, is amazing!

rocky0
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
The new album is good shit. Especially digging songs Anesthetize and Sleep together.

sam i am
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Does anyone else here have signify? I haven't heard it mentioned much. It's a decent album, although my least favourite of the three I have. I like sleep but no dreaming.

PTfan
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't have it yet but I've heard most of the songs off it.
I have:
In Absentia
Deadwing
Stupid Dream
Metonia
Voyage 34
The Sky Moves Sideways
On The Sunday of Life
Warsawza (live)
Coma Divine(live)
And i pre ordered Fear of a Blank Planet but it isn't released yet here in USA :(
Btw "sam i am" In the UK Fear of a Blank Planet released today so I'd DEFINATELY suggest getting it.It's their heaviest album yet and their best in my opinion and i've only heard bits of it.

mr moustache
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
ahg! i want to be in the UK today. sigh...only 8 days left over here.

sam i am
04-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Cool. I definately look into it, and the other albums that were mentioned

walkinbazooka
04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Who else is looking forward to Fear of a Blank Planet as much as I am?!?

Neon Knight
04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I am!!!

ThisPerishedMin
04-17-2007, 07:42 PM
steven wilsons great. fear of a blank planet reinforces that fact.

buy it.

walkinbazooka
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
steven wilsons great. fear of a blank planet reinforces that fact.

buy it.
I'm a po' folk! :cry:

PooKoo
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I can't wait, though I do like their mellower stuff more than their heavier stuff. The new videos awesome, who's seen it?

PTfan
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Who else is looking forward to Fear of a Blank Planet as much as I am?!?
Probably more then you, I've been grubbing at every bit of info on it i can since about 2 months ago :p:
BTW there was a music video to the main titled song on FoaBP but it was removed today due to the tragedy at virginia tech.(The video included kids with guns)

EDIT: is it back up pooKoo?

Axegrinder#9
04-18-2007, 01:36 AM
hello children, I just got hold of "Fear of a Blank Planet"

PTfan
04-18-2007, 01:57 PM
hello children, I just got hold of "Fear of a Blank Planet"
How?? Downloaded the leak..? I'm resisting myself from that :/

Axegrinder#9
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
resistance is futile.

PooKoo
04-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Probably more then you, I've been grubbing at every bit of info on it i can since about 2 months ago :p:
BTW there was a music video to the main titled song on FoaBP but it was removed today due to the tragedy at virginia tech.(The video included kids with guns)

Nope, guess not. Shame, it was a cool video.

InfiniteSadness
04-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Ah, the PT thread. I always forget about it because it's in the shred (&prog) forum.

Bought the new album 2 days ago, I think it has to sink in a little bit more in order to give a better judgement but it seems like it's a more mellow album than Deadwing (definitely not their heaviest) but it's still very good. It has two real rock songs and the other four are ballads or just mellow tracks, awesome soundscapes though, it's a very emotional album.

I'm seeing them in June, it's going to be my fourth PT concert.

PTfan
04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes but it inclued the heaviest track they ever made (anesthetize) thought I haven't heard it yet everyone says its their heaviest.I cant wait 5 more days and it's released in the u.s!
In May it'll be my first PT concert..I cant waiittt :)

PooKoo
04-19-2007, 05:51 PM
^ same and same, i'm excited.

walkinbazooka
04-19-2007, 06:29 PM

Well I guess we know who's the bigger fan then!
:p:

PTfan
04-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Well I guess we know who's the bigger fan then!
:p:
:P

Yes! Yesterday got the email, FoaBP has been shipped..Can't wait!

duncang
04-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Bought Fear Of A Blank Planet today.

It's pretty much standard PT, which is rather dissapointing really. There are moments of flat out awesomeness (end of Way Out Of Here, almost all of Anesthetize), but nothing of such beauty as Lazarus or Collapse The Light Into Earth.

There's some definite moments of inspiration from Meshuggah, suprisingly enough. Especially awesome then.

One thing I noticed is at 3:51 of Sentimental, it's the EXACT SAME chord progression as Trains.

vashts80
04-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I noticed that as well duncang, I was like "wtf trains?!" upon first listen. The album took some time to sink in for me, as I got into the more radio friendly tracks (FoaBP, My Ashes) first rather than the prog masterpiece Anesthetize...but that song is absolutely amazing, definitely a big Meshuggah element to the heavy part in it. Also, there was one riff in there, I think it's at around the 6:50 mark - it sounds almost like a Godsmack riff, haha.

PTfan
04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I've heard it takes more then a few listens to really appreciate it as a great album.Most people that have listened to it think its the best album by PT yet.I'll just have to wait till I have it to judge it for myself.

PooKoo
04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
i wish they'd go back to their mellow days. But still, I'm excited for this cd.

PTfan
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
i wish they'd go back to their mellow days. But still, I'm excited for this cd.
I, on the other hand love their heavier stuff, as well as their lighter stuff.I hope the cd arrives tomorrow, I can barely wait!

dustyboy316
04-22-2007, 11:37 PM
The new album wasnt their best imo.

I am a big fan of deadwing and in absentia (and I do like older PT, but I only listen to it when im trying to sleep usually because its so mellow.).

Fear of a Blank Planet is an awesome song, with good meaning behind it.

Anesethize is alright, good solo. I don't like My Ashes or Sentimental, too slow and boring. Other songs are alright.

One question, I read that Alex Lifeson and Robert Fripp played in the album? Anyone know where, if they did. I was thinking that solo could be from one of them.

guitarhero_764
04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Piano Lessons(except for the link to the music video)

Amazing song. Also, did anyone find Shallow an odd song for them, I'm not a diehard fan like some of you butI really love that song, PT plays good heavy suff. Do they have any other songs with the more metalish feel that Shallow has?

mr moustache
04-24-2007, 06:05 PM
i liked sentimental actually. i like the mellow stuff they do, its very...well, mellow. and relaxed. the first song is rather heavy, or at least, more so than the others on the album.

Amazing song. Also, did anyone find Shallow an odd song for them, I'm not a diehard fan like some of you butI really love that song, PT plays good heavy suff. Do they have any other songs with the more metalish feel that Shallow has?

blackest eyes from in absentia? that ones is rather heavy, compared to the rest of their songs. or some of deadwing.

PTfan
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Piano Lessons(except for the link to the music video)

All of their songs are so great, you can't really single out Piano Lessons as being significantly better, but it one of their better pop-sounding songs

PooKoo
04-24-2007, 11:07 PM
yes you can, piano lessons is amazing.

PTfan
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
yes you can, piano lessons is amazing.
Yes, but so is most of PTs' work

dustyboy316
04-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Voyage 34 is the best album to fall asleep too

guitarhero_764
04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I wasn't singling(sp?) it out, I was just surprised that no one had mentioned it yet.

PooKoo
04-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes, but so is most of PTs' work
ya, it really is. Piano Lessons always stuck out for me though, even though it's no better than the rest, I really love it.

Anyways, bought the new one bout an hour ago.
GO BUY IT!
it did not dissapoint me, and that's surprising, so far my favorite songs are my ashes and way out of here.

PTfan
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I listened to their album about 7 times so far, and it truly is an awesome blend of heavy and mellow music.The string arrangements are awsesome!! Maybe their best album yet, it really defines the PT sound.

GhostofSanity
04-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Can not wait to get my hands on the new PT. Hoping it will be another good one.

PTfan
04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
It is! just don't judge by your first listen, you have to listen to it a few times for it to really sink in :)

PooKoo
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
i've only listened through once so far, but i really like it. Still not my fav. but all their music takes time to sink in with me, that's why i love them.

For example, when i first heard lips of ashes, i hated that song, now it's one of my favorites by them.

PTfan
04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Right now I'm listening to it for about the 10th time..You really have to listen to it through a good stereo system.I tried listening to it on my small radio/cd player but it just sounds terrible.Right now i'm listening to it on my dads stereo.Damn that solo by Alex is so dark and moody! I love this album, can't wait to see them live!

dustyboy316
04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Right now I'm listening to it for about the 10th time..You really have to listen to it through a good stereo system.I tried listening to it on my small radio/cd player but it just sounds terrible.Right now i'm listening to it on my dads stereo.Damn that solo by Alex is so dark and moody! I love this album, can't wait to see them live!

It's the solo on Anesethize right?

PTfan
04-27-2007, 10:49 PM
^ yes

PooKoo
04-28-2007, 08:13 AM
i decided sentimental is the best track.

Scourge441
04-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Porcupine Tree are one of my favorite bands at the moment. All I have is Deadwing (although the case is autographed by the band, lucky me), but it's just so freakin' awesome.

I saw them live last fall, and the entire first set was made up of the new songs on Fear of a Blank Planet. We weren't told the titles of the songs, but I was able to match up one of the songs to Anesthetize, because it was really long and it owned.

GhostofSanity
05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
It is! just don't judge by your first listen, you have to listen to it a few times for it to really sink in :)

Porcupine Tree was a very hard band to get into at first, so I used to listen to their albums a few times before making a final judgment (which is that they are one of the most brilliant bands that I've heard :p: ). So yeah, I'll let this one sink in once I buy it.

Also, I seen a copy of Fear of a Blank Planet at FYE that was in a box for about $24. Can anyone give me details on this? I want to know if it's worth the extra money. Cheers in advance.

PTfan
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
YES it is worth the money!
I wish I could've got my hands on one :( it comes with an extended 40 page booklet,the dvd surround sound version of FoaBP which I heard sounds absolutely AMAZING if you have the right equipment, and its signed I think..It's limited to somewhere in between 1 and 5 thousand copies, not sure exactly.Btw they are going on ebay for up to 100 dollars already.+ there is differant artwork on the CD ect..

6DgOfInTb
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I recently came across them as well, when i was listening to one of the bands from UG, called Tetra-something (cant remember, sorry about that), and Porcupine Tree was one of their friends. Im a big fan of the song Mellotron Scratch. :)

PTfan
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
That was my favorite song when I first discovered PT ^
If you're looking to buy any albums I'd say go for In Absentia to start

Scorzerci
05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I've got the new album, it as hasn't really sunk in so no comment yet. What would you guys say is PT's mellowest album?

PTfan
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
^ Probably The Sky Moves Sideways or Voyage 34

narmi
05-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Love the new album and loved the gig in Glasgow

Anyone know what album Mother and Child Divided is on?

I'm guessing it's not on one....

PTfan
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
^ Its one of the songs that wasn't included on "Deadwing"

narmi
05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Damn, it sounded great live. Do you have it? Any chance you can send it to me?

PTfan
05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
The studio version of it is on the 2nd disc of "arriving somewhere.." dvd. I recommend buying the dvd, Its awsome!

narmi
05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
The studio version of it is on the 2nd disc of "arriving somewhere.." dvd. I recommend buying the dvd, Its awsome!

lol I've got it, just never watched the 2nd disc

PTfan
05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
^My bad you can watch the projection with the live version of Mother and Child Divided on the 2nd disc, but the studio version is played with the credits at the end of the first dvd ;)

Edit: If you want, I could probably make it into a music file and send it to ya

narmi
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
It's cool mate, no need to

Thanks for offering though bud

PooKoo
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I've got the studio version, it's easy to find, and quite good.

PTfan
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM
^download?
I just recorded it using creative record from the dvd version which is played during the end credits.It doesn't lose quality as it records it directly from inside the computer not from the speakers.

PooKoo
05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
yeahh

PooKoo
05-02-2007, 08:27 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=61819211
it's on thur too

narmi
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I'll search for it on Soulseek

Just ordered Lightbulb Sun from ebay - finally!
Also placed a bid on Recordings, but I doubt I'll win it

PTfan
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I wanna get Lightbulb Sun but I'm just going to wait for the reissue (sadly it might not be until next year) also theres going to be a reissue of Recordings, if you don't win just wait for it it should be sometime this year or next year.

PooKoo
05-03-2007, 02:38 PM
both those albums are amazing in every way, especially lightbulb sun.

narmi
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, the current bid is over £30, I didn't know it was going to be reissued so that's great. Buying New Soul is a fantastic song, heard it on the DVD and I need it

Lightbulb Sun only cost me £9 on ebay - brand new, sealed and being shipped from Asia! Fantastic

PTfan
05-03-2007, 09:52 PM
^Hopefully its a legit copy, I've heard theres loads of fakes being sold on ebay.But if its legit you got a great deal :)

narmi
05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
^Hopefully its a legit copy, I've heard theres loads of fakes being sold on ebay.But if its legit you got a great deal :)

Yeah, the guy I bought it from has sold copies of it before and had good feedback

Maybe I was a bit hasty, oh well time will tell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140113587572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

mr moustache
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
so im listening to signify for the first time. its really good. nice and mellow, which is great. i want to put it on as i fall asleep or something, because its such a relaxing mood.

narmi
05-05-2007, 02:01 PM
so im listening to signify for the first time. its really good. nice and mellow, which is great. i want to put it on as i fall asleep or something, because its such a relaxing mood.

Yeah, most of their earlier material is like that, great to chill too.

dustyboy316
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

I got my gf that dvd for uhh, christmas. It's siickk. Deadwing is prob myfav album, and voyage 34.

PooKoo
05-05-2007, 07:32 PM
you bought your gf that dvd? Does she even like them?

narmi
05-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Speaking of Deadwing, have they ever played it live?

Baroque_and_Rol
05-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I was at a CD World in Dallas and I saw Fear of a Blank Planet pretty cheap. Is it a good album?

PooKoo
05-06-2007, 01:10 AM
yup.

PTfan
05-06-2007, 03:38 PM
I was at a CD World in Dallas and I saw Fear of a Blank Planet pretty cheap. Is it a good album?

Yes, but make sure you listen to it a few times to let it sink in :):

"putnamehere"
05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I saw In Absentia at Best Buy yesterday, but I didn't get it. I'll surely get it the next time.

dustyboy316
05-06-2007, 06:48 PM
you bought your gf that dvd? Does she even like them?

Yah, I showed them to her and she loves them now. Everyone I show their music to likes them.

Flibbertigibbet
05-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Yah, I showed them to her and she loves them now. Everyone I show their music to likes them.
She's just doing it to get in your pants.
Because you're so damn hot.

Anyways, only started listening to Porcupine Tree yesterday :)
I got In Absentia and I like it!

"putnamehere"
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
^ Yes you should, I like that album alot too. Only problem is that I downloaded it, it's next on my "Albums To Buy Next" list.

Mazzakazza
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Awesome...I've liked this band for ages, but never bothered to get much of their stuff. Got Voyage 34 and Fear of a Blank Planet today...
I was blown away by the new one, and voyage 34 is still as trippy as i remember :D.

The song 'fear of a blank planet' is gonna top my most-listened to song very soon...

PooKoo
05-07-2007, 02:37 PM
i don't really like that song, to be honest. Love the cd though

PooKoo
05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm sure it'll grow on me, of course. They always do.

Anywayssss, has anyone seen them live yet? IF so, what'd they play?

Baroque_and_Rol
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I just put an In Absentia layout on my myspace...

unfathomable_bo
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Listened to In Absentia for the first time in ages the other day

I forgot how fookin great that album is, I've had Trains and Sound of Muzak on repeat for like 2 hours haha

Mazzakazza
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know what the bonus tracks at the end of "Fear of a Blank Planet" are called? I can't see them on any track listings...
Oh, and track #5 on Voyage 34 doesn't seem to have a name either?

Confused4930
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I forgot how fookin great that album is, I've had Trains and Sound of Muzak on repeat for like 2 hours haha

Two of the better songs on the album....but I prefer the live version of Trains better. It's on youtube if you haven't seen it yet.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN1_dIM4Tm8) 's a two part video of Anesthetize...if anyone wants a quick orgasm :p:

EDIT- The only possible B-side I know of is "Nil Recurring"

PTfan
05-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Thank you for posting the youtube link! Now I REALLY can't wait to see them live !

Baroque_and_Rol
05-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Might be picking up the new album tomorrow

Baroque_and_Rol
05-12-2007, 10:17 PM
the new album's pretty awesome

"putnamehere"
05-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I officially bought In Absentia a while ago (I downloaded it, lol). The artwork is amazing.

schizoid man77
05-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I have only recently (last weekend) got into the tree, and they're already one of my favirote modern artists. Fear of a blank planet is a masterpiece!

Confused4930
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I officially bought In Absentia a while ago (I downloaded it, lol). The artwork is amazing.

I've always loved PTree's cover art...

PooKoo
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
7 days!
and so have i ^

PTfan
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
God, I can't wait 7 more days for the concert...I wanna see them now!

godofshred
05-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, from what I've heard they're more Pink Floyd prog than "Let's throw as many weird time signatures as we can into this song" prog. Which is the stereotype a lot of people have when they think about prog, and luckily there are no 3 minute synth solos in the songs I've heard.

i'd day a mix between radiohead and pink floyd

PTfan
05-21-2007, 12:57 PM
I definately wouldn't compare PT and Radiohead, as they are too very different bands.Also PT were formed before Radiohead as far as I know, unless Radiohead started before 1987?
I'm not saying Radiohead are posing PT, they are in almost no way alike to PT.And as for Pink Floyd, their earlier albums up to "Signify" definately had the Pink Floyd influence, but, all their new stuff has barely any Floyd influence in it at all.

PooKoo
05-21-2007, 06:16 PM
seeing them tomorrow night!

PTfan
05-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Damn you, I have to wait another day :/

PooKoo
05-21-2007, 08:27 PM
well, i'lll tell ya how it was.
Maybe i'll try and get photoz.

PTfan
05-23-2007, 03:34 PM
^ Well how was it ?
In 5 hours I'll be seeing PT LIVE!!! Well, actually I'll be seeing "3" but after that I'll be seeing PT :)

PooKoo
05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
3 is great, but pt was ****ing amazing.
Just, fantastic. Everything was so dead on, the breakdown's were ****ing amazing, everyone was freaking out, and they play a perfect mix of old and new.
Stick around for the encore, it's awesome.

PTfan
05-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Wow, awesome concert! And they played ".3" and "Melletron Scratch"! it's a shame the accoustics were so bad and the bass level too high, as there were alot of parts you could barely hear at all, like the strings at the end of "Sleep Together".But it was my first PT concert so it was still awesome :)

PooKoo
05-24-2007, 06:50 AM
aw man, we didn't get 3 or mellotron scratch. I guess they change up their lineup.

Did you guys get open car?

PTfan
05-24-2007, 12:06 PM
^Yeah and Blackest Eyes :)

EDIT: We didn't get Gravity Eyelids though, which is another great song :(

PooKoo
05-24-2007, 03:22 PM
yeah, we got that one, and a smart kid.
And sever!
And lightbulb sun!

NevermorePsalm
05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
yeahhh. I had gravity eyelids...sever...and lightbulb sun...I don't think I got a smart kid? I got mother and child divided