Not Going Well.... HELP NEEDED BADLY!

PDA

View Full Version : Not Going Well.... HELP NEEDED BADLY!

i_am_jimi
12-23-2005, 10:23 PM
OK so here's the deal. My band and I just got started. We each individually are quite good musicians, except for one. Me. I'm quite good at guitar, but I'd like to be the singer. The only problem is, I'm not a good singer. I can hit notes absolutely fine, but I have absolutely terrible tone. I'm 15 and have braces, so I don't know if puberty or braces getting in the way would have any affect. All I know is, I have a terrible terrible singing tone. This has led to other problems. Mainly, the other members of my band went behind my back and asked this girl to audition to replace me. I got super pissed and I still think I had good reason too, but the other guys said that I need to stop trying to be the only person in the band. When we practice though, no one ever communicates and says yes this is good or no this sucks. I'm the only one who ever talks or makes suggestions but even when I do, no one gives feedback. If this girl is good and replaces me, I don't know what I'd do. They say I should still stay on and play guitar, but the other kid plays guitar too. If we were a 2 guitar band, I don't know how useful I'd be if I wasn't singing too. There wouldn't be a problem if I was singing too and just played guitar to augment it, but I don't want to only augment the other guitar. I'd feel useless. Finally, the guys in the band don't really try to improve songs. They're just more like well that song sucked let's do a different one. So basically, what should I do? I'd like to remain the singer. I'm thinking my band might need a complete overhaul. Sorry for the long post, but things aren't going very well. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wingedgopher
12-23-2005, 10:29 PM
dont worry about the voice. youre a green day fan as the icon suggests and billy joe armstrong doesnt really have a good voice but he makes it work as did joe strummer or joey ramone. you have to learn to appreciate the beauty in whats ugly (an oxymoron i know). im the lead singer of a 4 piece band myself and i dont have a really good voice either and i also have braces and i am 15 so i know what youre going through. you just gotta go with it and not give a ****. if theyre being jerks tell them and thingsll be much better than if you keep it inside.

mud
12-23-2005, 10:29 PM
My impression of the situation is that if you can't sing but want to sing, then you should sing. However you don't have much of a choice if the other guys don't want you to, so I'd take that as a majority decision. I'd also tell you to stay on as a guitarist, as rhythm guitarists are in no way less important than lead guitarists and you shouldn't feel like a third wheel.

However, if you don't feel that the band communicate enough you need to tell them that they should, and why they should. And if that doesn't work, quit... don't feel you need to stay in a band you're not entirely happy in just for the sake of being in a band.

Scourge441
12-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Puberty definetly affects your voice. Your vocal chords haven't fully matured yet, and they won't for a while.

If the girl singer is good, stick around on guitar and maybe do backup vocals. IF that's not an option, then be the lead guitarist.

mud
12-23-2005, 10:31 PM
You can always share lead duties with the other guitarist. Hundreds of bands do that.

i_am_jimi
12-23-2005, 10:33 PM
The thing is I put that Green Day icon up a long time ago when I made that account. I'm actually way more into stuff like Led Zeppelin, the Who, and Janis Joplin, people who could actually sing. And to Mud, do you think it's possible with lessons to improve my tone so I wouldn't have to give up the position as singer? EDIT: Also I live in a small redneck podunk town, so these are most likely the best guys I'm gonna find to be in a band with. And we're all good friends, but things just aren't going smoothly.

alter-bridge10
well if the girl is good and she replaces you as the singer there would be no problem with a two guitar band one plays rythym one plays lead and you can switch on some songs and if your not that good at singing you just gotta admitt it. i mean when it comes time for your first show your not gonna wanna sing if you dont feel confident.just tryin to help

-cb

wingedgopher
you could also split vocal parts ala system of a down

guitarfan93
12-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Puberty takes a huge toll on your voice,i dont have braces but i would imagine it would hurt to somewhat sing.I say try out the girl(especially if shes hot).Also remember communication is everything.If it the song sucks stop it and play it again.I know how frustrating it is to be replaced by someone (in my case i was kicked out of the band completley) yet i was better then the other guitarist but they didnt like my style.Communication is key so remembe that.And if your not a good singer thares no point in you singing.I know singers are the center of intention but you see more slash is better than eddie threads than axl is better than david lee roth threads

Piltdown
12-23-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't know how useful this will be but make sure you practice a lot, as often as you can to develop and maintain your voice. And make sure you're practicing correctly. Read some of the articles on this site about singing and stuff, they're really good, especially the ones by SingingSabre *i don't know for sure if this is the right person but i'm reasonably sure*. I'm also 15 and don't have quite the voice i want yet but i've gotten much better after i learned more about how to properly sing and how not to. And there's nothing wrong with having a two guitar band...one person plays lead, one does rhythym...occasionally the rhythym guitarist can sing a little if he/she wants, heck have a dual lead thing going! Lol, it really doesn't matter. But worst comes to worst, if you do get replaced, practice, get better, and later replace the girl. Best of luck to you and sorry for this equally long return post =P

wingedgopher
12-23-2005, 10:36 PM
this sounds stupid but drinking hot tea soothes the voice

cokesodanotdrug
12-23-2005, 11:18 PM
^also kinda pointless and I don't know why but I found that pretty damn funny

ANYWAYS

Kind of in addition to what mud said, your band is like your wife..or husband..or gf..or bf..or something, if you're not happy and don't communicate try and fix it, if it doesn't work quit, there's no sense in staying with a band that doesn't make you feel good. Also, voice lessons, look into them, they'll definatly help if you're not a good singer, also the person that pointed out that you should find the beauty in what's ugly is right, you and your band may think you sound terrible, but work on your voice, get out your cd's, sing along, as dumb and stupid as it might sound, it helps, get used to singing. if worse comes to worse, you can always do a LOT of backup vocals!

Bulletbass man
12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
what ever you do don't quit till you already have a new band lined up. I did that not because i was bad or anything but because i just got pissed punched a hole in my drummers wall and got in a verbal fight with his dad. Yeah but i was a guitarist and singer in a three piece my voice is by far not the greatest but i make do. Find a voice that works with you and then work from there. I don't know why but the day i tried bullet with butterfly wings i learned i could sing. till then we had our basssist sing and he sucked. I was actually forced into the job but ended up liking it. oh well thats totally beside the point

les_kris
12-26-2005, 06:33 AM
I say sing backup to another singer, coast off him or her. Good opportunity for you to improve based on his/her tone. Then if or when they **** off, you will be in a better position.

Also pubity is the problem, my mate has braces and he sings really good.

Caressing Death
12-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I was in the exact same situation as you except instead of JJ and The Who it was Iron Maiden and Pantera which made it even worse.
Eventually I just decided to do guitar. And also, how can two guitars be bad? It mkes it twice as dynamic! Look at Maiden, they have three lead guitarists!

pentagram_man63
12-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Puberty definetly affects your voice. Your vocal chords haven't fully matured yet, and they won't for a while.

If the girl singer is good, stick around on guitar and maybe do backup vocals. IF that's not an option, then be the lead guitarist.

I agree, if your not good at vox, just face it and admit it. Im ****ing terrible but I know I would make a great frontman. Backup vox would be a good idea if your not that good.

As for the un cooperative thing... sit down and have a talk together, say u wanna make it better and tell them that the only way this is gonna work is if you put in an effort.

twisted reality
12-26-2005, 02:23 PM
You guys really sound like you need to communicate a lot more. Sit down and talk with the rest of your band. I had almost the same problem, and i ended up quitting. So if worse comes to worse, quit. It's not worth staying in te band if your not happy and having fun with it. But thats just my two cents.