Johnsonville
12-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Robert Johnson, Son House

enfilade
12-24-2005, 10:59 AM
i think most people would say robert johnston, but possibly charlie patton

ledhed68
12-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Robert Johnson because he influenced so many blues players, and classic rock guitarists

zxZoSoxz
12-24-2005, 12:59 PM
On me? or in general?

On me I'd probably say early Clapton (Cream, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds)

In general I'd say Robert Johnson.

False_God
12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Since I'm Irish I'll have to say rory G...But in general hmmm, probly hendrix or clapton

jayr123guitar
12-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Robert Johnson

Rising
12-25-2005, 04:39 PM
hi, im new to the blues thing, im a metal/shred oriented player, but ive been incorporating more blues inspired soloing mixed with what i do, after hearing Stevie ray vaughn

i hear alot of this robert johnson person, that he's good, can someone tell me the name of his band and soem songs so i can check it out, thanks

heh.. for me its Dimebag Darrel and Jimi Hendrix :)

misfits385
12-25-2005, 05:07 PM
hi, im new to the blues thing, im a metal/shred oriented player, but ive been incorporating more blues inspired soloing mixed with what i do, after hearing Stevie ray vaughn

i hear alot of this robert johnson person, that he's good, can someone tell me the name of his band and soem songs so i can check it out, thanks

heh.. for me its Dimebag Darrel and Jimi Hendrix :)

Dimebag isn't a blues guitarist.

Rising
12-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Dimebag isn't a blues guitarist.
i know he's not, but hes an influencial guitarist to me in general

EDIT : oops i didnt see that it said ''blues musician''

Encore_God
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Son House took the music from the fields and turned it into a holler that penetrated the work of Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf among others...

That's pretty influential.

jayr123guitar
12-26-2005, 09:20 PM

..:)

His only recordings date from the 30's and it's just him playing and singing. Look up "Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings". These are really old but are and were so influential to so many musicians. Listen to how it sounds so much like 2 or even 3 guitarists and then remember it's only him. You've probably heard Crossroads by Cream, that is a Johnson tune (As well as more than a few dozen tracks Clapton has released over the years) If you're as into metal as you say you may have to really try your best to get into this stuff. You won't be dissapointed if you do.

redwing_suck
12-26-2005, 09:38 PM
mine is SRV...

altthough the only guy who makes me very sad when he plays certain songs is Clapton.

however, I'd say in general for everyone it would be Robert Johnson or BB King... because EVERY famous blues musician talks about either one of those two...

CrazedGuitarist
01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Buddy Guy

AxeAbuser#2
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
BB king, eric clapton and Roy Buchanan. All three of them can make me have many mixed emotions at any one time, thats whats great about them all ;)

Encore_God
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
altthough the only guy who makes me very sad when he plays certain songs is Clapton.

Me too. Every album after the mid 70's, pretty much. :(

Dirtydeeds468
01-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Definitely Robert Johnson...

Angus76
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, and Muddy Waters.

crawlup0123
01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Clapton and Hendrix are a definite influence.

For real true blues, though, i gotta say Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, and Albert King.

Some had more of an influence than others but i had to mention them all. (no order)

mexican_shred
01-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Muddy waters no doubt.

crawlup0123
01-07-2006, 02:32 PM
i dont know how i did it :confused: , but i forgot to mention Son House. :( but im saying it right now, you cant forget Son House. I mean come on, he was an influence to even Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, thats gotta mean something

Fusion-Robbert
01-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Eric Johnson and SRV

Led N' Roses
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
robert johnson...w.c. handy....and ill tell you someone else who has some good tunes is arthur "big boy" crudup...he is the essence of memphis blues

alantra
01-14-2006, 02:29 AM
there is only one real answer for me and that SRV. he showed me the meaning of feeling rather than thinking and what a real explosion is "third stone from the sun"

False_God
01-14-2006, 06:41 AM
For me my brothers blues band The Mudcats Blues Band, they really inspire me to play...I give you a link to few of their songs http://www.thecreaturestudios.com/Samples.html he also owns the studio.

evvo_gc_fan
01-14-2006, 07:07 AM
SRV is awesome. my current fav blues player is a guy called Tab Benoit. check him out - he is incredible on the guitar and has one hell of a voice

Alex S.
01-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Just started getting into blues playing after listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn. A lot of my playing is starting to sound like his style of playing. I just love his sound, his feel, and it seems he is really into the music. That makes a good blues guitarist in my opinion

Encore_God
01-15-2006, 08:29 AM
This thread is mighty ambiguous..

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2006, 09:41 AM
SRV, Clapton, Albert King, Johnny Winter.

satchboogie_123
01-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Robert Johnson sarted it all

eltravo
01-15-2006, 05:02 PM
for me its SRV, followed closley by Albert & B.B. King

srv_numberone
01-16-2006, 11:13 PM
srv influenced me to play the blues, and that turned me onto many different players, like albert king and clapton. but in general the most influential blues guitarist is robert johnson. you see his style copied the most, look at clapton :)

ridcullylives
01-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Me too. Every album after the mid 70's, pretty much. :(

:haha

...so true.

Influential on me: Clapton, Hendrix

Influential in general: RJ, Son House...has anyone said Leadbelly yet?

vantage4
01-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Buddy Guy
roger that, goose. buddy guy live....damn he is amazing, his playing isn't all as old school as bb king's so i don't think he gets as much recognition but if anyone here hasn't seen one of his shows, they should. albert king and muddy waters are both also very inspiring.

Page&HammettFan
02-23-2007, 05:39 PM
SRV is awesome. my current fav blues player is a guy called Tab Benoit. check him out - he is incredible on the guitar and has one hell of a voice
I'll second good old Tab Benoit. He is an INCREDIBLE guitar player. His voice is great. Just an all around great blues artist, and thank God he was discovered because he is great.

Noah Halvorson
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield, my father, Jeff Healey (though he is sometimes rather rock-oriented), and Duane Allman (though not a pure blues guitarist, blues is intrinsic in his style)

pyrochris
02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Buddy Guy
+1...

He had a big role in the british invasion due to his early performances in Britain. He was a major influence and inspiration for Clapton, Hendrix, Keith richards, Townshend, Jeff Beck, and many more. And those people also went on to influence the next generation of guitarists. So both directly and indirectly, Buddy was pretty damn influential.

Blues Breaker
02-23-2007, 07:51 PM
For me its gotta be early Clapton. i can't dig anything after Derek. Peter Green and Rory G and Duane Allman in third.

Is it just me but i cant dig SRV. i have two CD's on my computer (couldnt Stand The Weather and Texas Flood) but i dont see whats so great about him. His Playing does not appeal to me, at all. :( I Hear soooo much about him but i dont get it. I would like to listen to him. Am I The only one????

pyrochris
02-23-2007, 08:21 PM
^^^ you are not the only one. I don't know, I just think he's a little over the top and annoying. But us listeners are allowed to be picky :D.

claptonfan55
02-23-2007, 10:58 PM
On me I'd probably say early Clapton (Cream, Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds)

Me too.

Friedmaniac
02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
For me definately Robert Johnson. But i'm also getting into Elmore James right now, and the guy was the first person to use overdrive, so that has to count for something.

mansterbeastman
06-02-2007, 12:39 PM
For me, It would have to be between Leadbelly and Blind Lemon Jefferson. But I've heard alot more Leadbelly material so I would have to say him, but I seriously love both their music.

ufossuck
06-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Muddy Waters by far.

Ramblin'_Man
06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
For me definately Robert Johnson. But i'm also getting into Elmore James right now, and the guy was the first person to use overdrive, so that has to count for something.

thank god someone said elmore james. his stuff is amazing and he is the electric slide guitar GOD.

now biggest influence on me would have to b Duane Allman, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James and Clapton.

On the world.. Son House and Johnson(everyone has said him).

'Floods!'
06-02-2007, 02:04 PM
SRV for modern times.

Robert Johnson for old times.

Rawk Awn
06-02-2007, 03:43 PM
if i could have the showmanship of Buddy Guy, the phrasing of B.B. King, and the appeal of Eric Clapton, and the full throttle chops of Stevie Ray Vaughan, i'd be more than happy.

Quoteman
06-02-2007, 03:55 PM
^^^ Wouldn't we all

TheDev01dOne
06-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Well I'm only recently getting into blues a lot so apart from blues/rock, Page, Clapton, Mark Knopfler (Does he count?) from before..

Robert Cray is probably one of my biggest influences at the moment.
B.B. King for the more traditional blues stuff is probably my biggest influence.
And Buddy Guy is just the ultimate showman.

Minor placings go to SRV, Gary Moore, Dave Hole (Pretty killer slide guitarist, even though I don't play slide guitar..)

Page&HammettFan
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
^
I don't play much slide guitar, but playing slide on some blues tracks like Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying" is really fun :) I like the idea of being in open tunings and soloing, too.

Confusius
06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Buddy Guy is just the stone cold blues master

thetearsibleed
06-03-2007, 02:55 PM
i really dig mississipi john hurt, freddie king, SRV, and roy buchanan

but in general id have to say either RJ or son house for sure

ledhed68
06-03-2007, 03:59 PM
if i could have the showmanship of Buddy Guy, the phrasing of B.B. King, and the appeal of Eric Clapton, and the full throttle chops of Stevie Ray Vaughan, i'd be more than happy.

Also add the passion of Muddy Waters.

easthatred
06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn, I think he was the best guitarist ever to live and he was the reason i picked up guitar when i was 12 im 17 now and im into hard rock etc. but i always fine my ways back to the blues.

tilleking
06-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd probably say SRV, though Joe Bonamassa is a hugely influential to me and has been since I first started listening to his music a few years ago.

Encore_God
06-05-2007, 08:20 AM
I've just noticed that the threadstarter is a fake me :haha

'Floods!'
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
All these so-called 'masters' are crap. Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Elmore James etc. I hate it when people say that 'white boys can't play the blues', even though SRV, Gary Moore and Jeff Healey are the three best blues guitarists ever.

Encore_God
06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
All these so-called 'masters' are crap. Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Elmore James etc. I hate it when people say that 'white boys can't play the blues', even though SRV, Gary Moore and Jeff Healey are the three best blues guitarists ever.

I'd say those are some fairly inflammatory statements. You're entitled to your opinions, but I simply do not agree that those three gents are the 'best' blues guitarists ever.

FreeManson15
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
robert johnson, leadbelly, skip james, muddy waters

redstripe
06-09-2007, 02:15 AM
i would say robort johnson

but hendrix is a pretty proficient blues player too, he mixed trippy music, rockj and blues. He influenced many people. Though he was influenced by muddy waters and johnson. Basically he's just a bit higher than those guys in the timelines.

boboguitar
06-09-2007, 07:30 AM
SRV, johnny winter, clapton

blueindian
06-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Mike Bloomfield, my father, Jeff Healey (though he is sometimes rather rock-oriented), and Duane Allman (though not a pure blues guitarist, blues is intrinsic in his style)

Mike Bloomfield; The Paul Butterfield Blues Band is amazing.

Buddy Guy is one my favorite electric guitarists, has anyone said Albert King?
and of course...
Robert Johnson and Leadbelly are somewhat givens. I also love Skip James.

Ethicdoom
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Oh God Buddy Guy-he blows me away. Robert Cray and Muddy Waters are also highly influential on me. I can't touch Buddy though.

JilaX^
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Johnson and SRV, without doubt.

tomisamonkeyman
06-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Muddy Waters, he basically started Rock N Roll with an electric guitar

drugless_stoner
06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
clapton clapton clapton! i just love everything about his mucis, from the slow acoustic numbers to the massive rock anthems, and the evolution over the years of his style, the people he has played with, his guitar is amazing, i love his phrases, the reptition and change of certain riffs and ideas to make up the solos, the massive bends(which hurt my hands and my brain so much), everything about that man sums up the blues, and rock and roll in general to me. he has been the womanising, drug addicted guitar heor, he has been the quite little old man with an acoustic guitar, he has two signature guitars, electric and acoustic, fender and martin, he has done it all, i know he mght not have started everything(although he was the first real rock god), but he did more then every other blues guitarist when you weigh it all up