Need Help with a Sponser

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Sponser

SOADfan2021
12-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey im matt and im 14, in a band, and been playin guitar for a good while now (bout 12 years) and ive introed many big bands that we know now that have gone big, and i have yet still found a sponser that could help me cuz i aint very rich, my parents are always havin trouble with money, and i dont wanna live knowin that i could of done something. I dont wanna just blow up and become sum big-headed rich dumb***, but i dont wanna die withount sum1 hearing me.System of a Down and Red hott chilli peppers have been huge influenses in my love with music (ironicly both sponerd by rick ruban) Any help anyone? would be greatly appriciated

mw7
12-24-2005, 09:54 PM
youve been playing since you were 2??:haha:

SOADfan2021
12-24-2005, 09:55 PM
yea not good obviously but since 2 i had a mini guitar in my hands

mw7
12-24-2005, 09:58 PM
lol awesome

SOADfan2021
12-24-2005, 10:01 PM
lol thx but i seriously do need help with my problem. got any advice dude?

mw7
12-24-2005, 10:24 PM
keep playing gigs, get noticed,maybe gig where record company executives or whatever are, send demos to record companies. also try getting your music played on the radio. i dont know much on this stuff since i just formed a band a month ago

SOADfan2021
12-24-2005, 10:32 PM
well any advice is good advice, sept those from stoners. lol. thx dude

SilentDeftone
12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
*moved*

-SD :dance:

spuime4c1es
12-25-2005, 11:13 AM
keep playing gigs, get noticed,maybe gig where record company executives or whatever are, send demos to record companies. also try getting your music played on the radio. i dont know much on this stuff since i just formed a band a month ago

uhh..no, don't sned your demos to record labels..

all you need to do is focus on writing good music and getting your name out..DO NOT go out wasting your time looking for a deal..if yo uget th ename out enough and have good music they will find you..

seriously, take my advice ;)

-Spuime4c1es :rolleyes:

P.S. look for website's on google for marketing/promoting

mw7
12-25-2005, 02:34 PM
uhh..no, don't sned your demos to record labels..

k dude, lol i just read a bio of kurt cobain and it said he sent some demos to a record company, so that where i got the idea

P.B.
12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
when you go to a record company's website they say they will listen to your music, but most likly will NOT even respond to you submission.

i've talked to 2 label reps and his advise was to just keep on playing and playing. create a buzz in your city/state/province about your band, and then they will find you.

label reps know all of the club owners and managers, they will call the clubs and ask who is a big draw, and they will find those bands. so don't worry about getting sponsered, just worry about putting on a great show.

"there is no luck in music, you have to be damn talented and work your F*cking ass off" Noel Gallager.

also, have you ever considered getting a part time job? i was working for my first Les Paul at age 14, because at age 14 i doubt you are going to get signed anytime soon.

mangablade
12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
also ive read a lot that dont just up and take the first deal they offer you, especialy if its from a lesser known local company, make sure they dont have a contract that says "we will own your soul but you can play and get payed" kinda thing. i heard som1 advise som1 to get a Music Lawyer (SP?) , someone that can do all of that contract stuff and w.e for you.

P.B.
12-29-2005, 12:30 PM
also for you guys in the states, you are kind of in an unfortunate situation, the talent that tends to get signed is bassed less on musical talent, and more on saleabilty, or the amount of profit they think they can make. ie: what you look like, are you blond whith huge knockers? where as the rest of the world is more focused on musical talent rather than image, although being blond with huge knockers would help!

SlashHammett
12-29-2005, 02:43 PM
yeah really , i wouldnt expect to get signed for a few years , maybe when ur 16..

RobbieMac2002
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
try and get to know a bigger band that are constantly organising gigs, and playing lerger venues than you play and bring more people etc... basically a band that is a rung or two further up the ladder...

if you have a similar music style and you get along personally then you can support them for a bunch of dates, and hopefully a fair percentage of their fans might rub off on you...

put time and money into recording a REALLY good demo...

then be prepared to give it away for free... if you are confident enough in the whole band thing then think of it as an investment... you'll get that money back when you are playing gigs and getting paid and maybe get a contract etc... but if you have a great peice of music... and get as many people as possible to hear it (its easy to sell free stuff) then you start getting a word of mouth going etc...

imagine you give 1000 copies of your cd out for free in your area... all it takes is for 1 in 10 to like it, and you already have an extra 100 people to your fanbase... thats 100 more people who will come to shows you organise, and pay the cost of the ticket... giving you some cash to organise more gigs, play more venues, and record another even better demo...

like the people above me have said... eventually, if you are good, someone important will hear you... come and see you... and if you put on a good show that 200 people or so have come to see then more likely than not you will make a very good impression

best of luck... we're in the same boat :)

PICKS r4 DICKS
12-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey im matt and im 14, in a band, and been playin guitar for a good while now (bout 12 years)

damn, you better be good if youve been playin that long.

and im sure if you have as much experience as someone else thats been playing 12 years, if you can find someone intrested in sponsoring a guitarist, it probably wouldnt be hard to convince them.