Gary Moore??

PDA

View Full Version : Gary Moore??

Puppe
01-02-2006, 08:46 AM
My band plays very well blues and now we are heading to rock style... But my band members would want to play Blues still.... So I told them that Gary Moore plays Blues and rock.... So I want your opinion about Gary Moore....?

tim_mop
01-02-2006, 08:58 AM
legend! have you heard him with thin lizzy? Out in the fields has the most incredible solo!

WyldeGibsonPlyr
01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Gary's blues > everything else he's done.

AxeAbuser#2
01-02-2006, 12:42 PM
legend! have you heard him with thin lizzy? Out in the fields has the most incredible solo!

yeah, but his more recent stuff is way better. the albums scars, ballads and blues and power of the blues are great blues albums. Can't wait till his next album is out

Evil_Empire24-7
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
after hours is great also still got the blues.

gary is underrated as a guitarist of all genres with an untouchable tone.

Encore_God
01-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Gary's blues > everything else he's done.

Hardly. Gary's rock stuff kicked the crap out of his blues stuff.

WyldeGibsonPlyr
01-03-2006, 06:14 PM
^Opinions, opinions.

yeah, but his more recent stuff is way better. the albums scars, ballads and blues and power of the blues are great blues albums. Can't wait till his next album is out

Scars wasn't all that bluesy too me, I didnt care much for it.

Encore_God
01-03-2006, 06:24 PM
^Opinions, opinions.

Well, not only was Gary's technique better, but his songwriting and playing were infinitely more varied, interesting and better thought out.

Instead of tearing your face off with some of the most blistering guitar playing I've ever heard in my life, experimenting with jazz fusion, making (arguably) the best Thin Lizzy album, writing some fantastic songs across the rock, metal and even pop genres and being the player's guitarist, he decided to whip the shat out of the I-IV-V structure some more, and mimic Peter Green for 15 years.

I know Gary made some excellent music after his blues shift, but to me he was never settled as a pure blues guitarist. Every now and then he slips into a big old shred wank-off that sounds fine in a rock setting, but on a T-Bone Walker song sounds a bit weird.

Evil_Empire24-7
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
even though the man is old enough to lose his popularity but he is keepin' it real without losing it.

AxeAbuser#2
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
refering to nate: yeah scars wasnt all that blues you are right, but it has some element of blues there. and Encore_God:, so many bluesmen have covered 'they call it stormy monday' over the years, so every version is different. Gary does play some rock/blues stuff there yeah, but its just his own way of playing the song...

AndyGray
01-06-2006, 06:56 AM
I agree that gary moore is the most under-rated guitarist I have ever heard, his tone is only matched IMO by Gilmour. Cant wait to see him in march with BBking

Encore_God
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
and Encore_God:, so many bluesmen have covered 'they call it stormy monday' over the years, so every version is different. Gary does play some rock/blues stuff there yeah, but its just his own way of playing the song...

I know. It just sounds odd. And there are times where Gary plays totally inappropriate stuff on his blues records.

dr_john
01-07-2006, 07:15 AM
gary is mostly superb, but he occasionally goes off the rails. i had the misfortune to buy 'dark days in paradise' which was supposed to be a 'new direction' after rock and blues but it really didn't work for me.

he can't do anything wrong when he is playing the blues as fas as i am concerned.

LongBow
01-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Hey, Scars was not bad at all! Things like I wasn't born in Chicago and Ball and chain - you perhaps should listen to those once more! And there are more! :peace:

Ninjashidan
04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Gary moores my favirout guitarist! i love hes songs presisenne walkways (dont know how to spell it sorry) the loner still got the blues, empty rooms. all great songs!

~1954~
04-29-2006, 11:32 AM
^ that would be 'Favourite' and 'Parisienne'

I like his Blues and Rock equally, And i think that goes to show that a good guitarist and songwriter can sound great doing blues and rock, like Clapton and Page for e.g. They both started on blues and then progressed on to rock.

I think Hes arguably the best guitarist to come out of Thin Lizzy, definently in terms of his success afterwards. (dont know much about what happened to the other guys)

Hes also a great singer and all round performer- Id say one of the all time legends of the 80's, which id say was his best period.