# of band practices a week

PDA

View Full Version : # of band practices a week

useasdirected
01-02-2006, 12:37 PM
how many times does your band practice a week? my band practices around 4-6 times a week. This is kind to help starting out bands, to help them have an idea of how many times you should jam a week.

"Starting out"- 1-2

"So, So"- 2-3

"Gigging"- 3-5

"Recording, gigging, getting serious"- 5-7

just a guideline for some aspiring rockers.

korinaflyingv
01-02-2006, 12:44 PM
at most once. we get so much damned homework

atc228
01-02-2006, 12:47 PM
^we practice at most once as well, we all have tough schedules with school and homework and stuff like that. every month usualy we have a 10-12 hour practice though, that is when we get the most stuff done.

adamk991100
01-02-2006, 12:48 PM
We practice once a week. Every sunday :)

heartwarmingpie
01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Usually once a week, although e pretty much have the sogs down.

dre-0
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Practice on saturdays becuase its everyones freeday. No school, no work, just chill. And on holidays.

zparticus
01-02-2006, 12:56 PM
we try to practice more than once a week, but since it has been the holiday season its been really hard to get everyone together...so yeah

deusexbass2150
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
We usually practice every saturday but sometimes unfortunatly were busy so it gets postponed

fenderfreak101
01-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Every Sunday. It always helps to have a set date in which you can do it.

Slash Jr.
01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
^:cheers:

That's what my band does too; unless we have a gig the next day, then we might do a jam then.

Dutch_Apples
01-02-2006, 04:58 PM
We practice 3-4 days a week usually for 6-9 hours. Once we start recording our serious demo, that will probably turn into 6-7 days a week.

Satyrus
01-02-2006, 05:01 PM
My band practice (or, meet, rehearse, talk etc) once a week. Me and our drummer live a good distance from the basement we are rehearsing in, and we have to carry our instruments each time, so we have to drive car back and forth every time. But if we lived closer I guess we'd play just about every night, that'd be much greater.

quinny1089
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
usually once a week fro my band, and we gig about once every couple of months.

Freunleven
01-02-2006, 10:01 PM
As a whole group, once a week. However, in between those practices, I get together with the bass player, and the drummer gets with the other guitar player. The keyboard player and other guitar player live in the same house, so I guess they practice whenever they can.

The one group practice a week is 4-6 hours. We go through all the songs we know so far, and learn a new one as a group each week.

:satan:

Rocker4500
01-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Once a week. We practice in the local theatre's rehearsal space, and it's always so booked up we're lucky to even get a few hours every Monday.
Me, the bassist and rhythm guitarist also get together during the week for song songwriting.

latham_diaries
01-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Once every two weeks........ i lose :(

BreakingBnj
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
We actually just made up our new practice schedule last night, mondays, wednesday's, and every other saturday (that's when our bassist it at his mom's, in the town we practice in).

We don't have any gigs until april, and those few weeks before that we're going to practice almost every day. But until then, that's our schedule.

UtBDan
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
usually three times every two weeks (every Weds and every other Sunday), but we haven't practiced since before the holiday. :(

suicideangel_2
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
usually every saturday and sunday and sometimes after school

heartwarmingpie
01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Our band gets together about once a week, usually on a Saturday or a Sunday. If there is a holiday and we have off for a week or so, we have like 3.

eastern_riffs
01-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Once a week,and we play a show almost every week too.

But our practice is strictly for practice..None of us hold a practice to learn the new song we write or something.That's done at the school breaktime,over the phone,or over IM.

Rodders
01-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Once a week, and we're not just a 'starting out' band. Don't over practice, or you'll lose your natural creativeness, and everything will seem robotic, and unorganic. Once a week is fine. In between that week it gives you time to elaborate with the songs on your own, work out new riffs, and practice your parts. I don't think your guidelines are right at all.

Dutch_Apples
01-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the once a week thing. It's fine if your band is just playing for fun, but let me put it this way. I was in a band over the summer that practiced 1-2 times a week for maybe 2-3 hours each time. We played 1 gig in being together for 4 months. That band broke up and the new one I'm in contains 2 other member from that band. We practice 3-4 times a week and have been for the past 2 months we've been together. We now are gigging just about every week and are considered one of the most innovative and original bands in our area. We couldn't have accomplished that by practicing once a week. Why should a weeks band practice of my band equal a month's worth of yours?

Off days, we write and promote just as if we had an entire week off. A few years ago I attended a practice of a local band that was considered one of the "best" in the area. This was a time when hardcore punk was very popular on the East Coast. The lead singer told me they practice once a week. When I went to the practice, they just stood around and talked/made jokes for 45 minutes. Ran 3-4 songs, then stopped to go eat Chinese food. That band broke up about 3 months after that for unknown reasons. The lead singer is now still working at Subway.

In the early years, practice is key. Now if we were gigging 2-3 times a week, yeah only one practice a week but there is just too many things that need to be worked on to become a signed band.

PJF1000
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Twice.

mw7
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
once or twice a week, everybody is busy so its friday and/or saturday

golfskip
01-09-2006, 10:50 PM
My band gets together for some serious practicing about twice a year. well hit it about 8 hours for 2 consecutive days. We basically sit down and work out a new show. We do about 150
gigs a year so there's not a lot of time for FORMAL practices. BUT we do some practicing
and go over new songs after setting up at the gigs.

rathmusbass
01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
umm if it was up to me my band would be practicing 7 days a week, but because everyone is still under 18 and lives with their parents we have to settle for once a week.

=-p =-)

Rodders
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with the once a week thing. It's fine if your band is just playing for fun, but let me put it this way. I was in a band over the summer that practiced 1-2 times a week for maybe 2-3 hours each time. We played 1 gig in being together for 4 months. That band broke up and the new one I'm in contains 2 other member from that band. We practice 3-4 times a week and have been for the past 2 months we've been together. We now are gigging just about every week and are considered one of the most innovative and original bands in our area. We couldn't have accomplished that by practicing once a week. Why should a weeks band practice of my band equal a month's worth of yours?

Off days, we write and promote just as if we had an entire week off. A few years ago I attended a practice of a local band that was considered one of the "best" in the area. This was a time when hardcore punk was very popular on the East Coast. The lead singer told me they practice once a week. When I went to the practice, they just stood around and talked/made jokes for 45 minutes. Ran 3-4 songs, then stopped to go eat Chinese food. That band broke up about 3 months after that for unknown reasons. The lead singer is now still working at Subway.

In the early years, practice is key. Now if we were gigging 2-3 times a week, yeah only one practice a week but there is just too many things that need to be worked on to become a signed band.

It's probably different for every person....I wouldn't be able to practice more than once a week and be able to play creatively. I would end up doing the same old stuff over and over again. Our band has been going for ages with just the once a week practices and we also gig reguarly. I think it's a matter of whatever suits you best.

Next_Hendrix
01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
It depends on the living, and jamming situation. Honestly to everyone out there, if you can jam more than once a week, do it. I try to jam 3 times a week at least if the band can. It ensures creation of new material, and polishing old material. Peace,

Johnny

legions
01-13-2006, 05:04 PM
generally.... 3-4 times a week. we have jobs and stuff that get in the way, but i think 3-4 times is actually a good amount of practice.

TrappedUnderIce
01-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I hang out with my bandmates almost all day everday. So when it comes time to practice it goes like this.

"Hey let's practice."

"Alright, let's go to JB's house."