What Gutiar / Equiptment Did Slash Use?

PDA

View Full Version : What Gutiar / Equiptment Did Slash Use?

Hardin
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey I don't know if this should go in the settings thread, but what guitars, amps, effects, and stuff did Slash use. The songs "Sweet Child","November Rain", and "Welcome to the Jungle" if you want to be specific. Thanks.

ibanez4life SZ!
01-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Gibson les paul.....tube marshall stack.....dunlop wah?

Refixer
01-02-2006, 09:59 PM
His Wah was rackmounted I think too

ibanez4life SZ!
01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, just didn't know if I had to go that in depth...

GBMan
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
http://homepage.oniduo.pt/rupean/Slashsound.html
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/1986/equip.htm
http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html

He uses a rackmount CryBaby now...

maddd0g
01-02-2006, 10:10 PM
If I had a pennie for everytime ive seen this thread...

Basically, a Gibson Les Paul, a Marshall JCM Stack, a CryBaby, and a Heil Talkbox on some songs.

Hardin
01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
THANK YOU, YOU ARE MY LOVE BUG NOW HAHA lol

Thanks.

ac/dc_freak91
01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
guitar: gibson les paul with seymour duncan alnico pro 2 pickups
amp: marshall silver jubillee
amp settings: (dirty) Presence: 7, Bass: 7, Middle: 4.5, Treble: 7, Output Master:6, Lead Master: 10, Input Gain: 6.5 (clean) Presence: 0, Bass: 9, Middle: 3, Treble: 5.5,
Output Master :10, Lead Master: 0, Input Gain: 6.5
effects: (i dont know in what order) Boss CH-1 chorus (always on), Heil talkbox, MXR 10 band equalizer (dont know settings) dunlop wah (im not sure what model)
hope this helps :D

ac/dc_freak91
01-02-2006, 10:49 PM
oh yeah i forgot he uses Ernie Ball Slinky R.P.S. strings of gauge 11-48

ac/dc_freak91
01-02-2006, 11:34 PM
once more i forgot something he uses a boss DD-3 delay pedal in the intro to "welcome to the jungle"

xxgenocide98xx
01-02-2006, 11:40 PM
The most important aspects to slash's tone:

Marshall Silver Jubilee stack. A JCM 800 will do, though.

Gibson Les Paul w/ SD alinco pro II or original PAF humbuckers.

Dunlop Wah (a good crybaby will do the trick)

MXR 10 band EQ used as a mid boost.

The way he plays is also integral to the sound, he usually picks very far up the strings, on the neck pickup or even the neck itself for most things that arent really palm muted, it gives him a softer/warmer sound than he would achieve by picking at the bridge.

Yerffej
01-02-2006, 11:51 PM
His Wah was rackmounted I think too
how do you mean? like his wah was on a loop in his rack and was just brought in by some guy on the sidelines?

xxgenocide98xx
01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
There is a wah mounted on a rack and its got foot controllers on the stage all around, I think its wireless, too.

utsapp89
01-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I remember a while back baseball posted a thread talking about his Appetite for Destruction tone was next to impossible to get because the JCM he used in the studio had some special mods to it.

tool_fan_trav
01-03-2006, 12:39 AM
the appetite tone wasnt even a jcm, it was a marshall 1959T tremolo plexi, it had a mod done that used the tremolo section of the amp and turned it into a boost of the gain. Slash rented it from SIR in hollywood and loved the tone so muhc that he tried to steal it from them but they eventually got it back from him. The amp has since dissapeared, so someone probably in california has the greatest rock tone of all time probably sitting in there basement

BlinkBlinkBlink
01-03-2006, 02:07 AM
he does NOT use a gibson les paul. I don't know why people think he does, it's been said over and over that he doesn't use authentic gibsons. He has a custom replica of a 57 les paul. I can't remember the luthier, but it was someone who was incredibly talented and the point of the slash signature was to model that. He passed away a while back, god bless his soul, so his copies are now incredibly rare and pricey.

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-03-2006, 02:12 AM
he does NOT use a gibson les paul. I don't know why people think he does, it's been said over and over that he doesn't use authentic gibsons. He has a custom replica of a 57 les paul. I can't remember the luthier, but it was someone who was incredibly talented and the point of the slash signature was to model that. He passed away a while back, god bless his soul, so his copies are now incredibly rare and pricey.

he used the 59 les paul copy on appetite - he now uses real gibsons and has for a long long time.

ac/dc_freak91
01-03-2006, 08:13 AM
he also tunes his guitar down 1/2 a step and uses dunlop tortex 1.14mm ( the purple ones)

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-03-2006, 08:21 AM
the tuning down is an important bit. - to whoever said he picks towards the neck pickup, i dont know. he rests his hand on the bridge do it wouldnt be firther than anyone else

xxgenocide98xx
01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
the tuning down is an important bit. - to whoever said he picks towards the neck pickup, i dont know. he rests his hand on the bridge do it wouldnt be firther than anyone else

I Saw VR twice (not really old enough to have seen guns n roses) and basically he picked most of his **** up towards the neck, mostly because his guitar is hung so low and he cocks it at an angle ( like this " / ") so he can play it. but it DOES effect your tone, playing up by the neck/neck pickup, most of his arpeggiated chords and palm mutes are played down by the bridge but alot of his strumming and leads are played like I said, near the neck pickup, at least thats from my experience seeing him live. I was in front next to slash both times, lol!

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
i know that where you pick effects your tone - but when slash solos he tends to lift up his guitar so its straight up and down (like this '' | ''). who here doesnt recognice that position as a slash move? when he does this he rests his hand on the bridge, causing the picking to be in what i consider to be the 'normal' picking area - pretty much between the pickups but closer to the bridge than the neck. thats for leads anyway but for rhythm, as you said, his guitar is so ****ing low its all up by the neck.

ps - saw vr once, not a bad show.

timi_hendrix
01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
A marshall MG, Squier strat and elastic bands for strings.

Dave_Mc
01-03-2006, 01:16 PM
^timi's joking, in case you didn't notice, threadstarter!

i don't think this needed to be reported, to be honest, but i suppose some might regard it as spam.

Carry on!

:cheers:

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
he was joking?!?!

damn i went out and bought that gear for nothing..

Dave_Mc
01-04-2006, 12:13 PM
^did you get a good deal on the elastic bands, zoso? I hear they go for less on ebay...

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
well the price was pretty high...but i got the slash signature ones so i guess its worth it because now ill play and sound liek my hero!!!1!!!1!~*~*~*~

Dave_Mc
01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
^ :haha

it's a wonder Zakk hasn't got signature elastic bands...

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
well either zakk has signature bands or i got ripped off big time!

leid sepplin
01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
oh snap! elastic bands? why didnt i ever think about that?

*puts them on guitar*

Man these sound great!!!!1!!1

deltarogers
08-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi Everyone!!!!
Slash has rented, borrowed, and probably stole a lot of amps and guitars, pre 1986. Post 1987 he has aquired a lot of each as well. I will try to list the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I am not sure about the internal specs of them other than the obvious.

Most of his non-signature Les Paul's (except the vintage models) have Seymore Duncan Alnico II Pro's in them, and he uses Ernie Ball custom 11-46 setup. My information is based on interviews (with Slash) and reliable sources as well of pictures that I have seen, so feel free to please correct me if I am wrong.

Pre 1983

GUITARS
Les Paul Replica
BC Rich Mockingbird
BC Rich Doubleneck (two six strings)
Fender Stratocaster

AMPLIFIERS AND PEDALS
MXR Distortion pedal
Dunlop Wah
Fender Princeton Amp
JCM800 (borrowed)

1983-1986

GUITARS
BC Rich Mockingbird
Les Paul replica (used) sold for money for drugs
Gibson Les Paul Standard (used) sold for money for heroin.

AMPLIFIERS & PEDALS
Heil Talbox
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Rission Heads (1984)
2 JCM800 Heads (rentals) post 1984 (it's hard to tell in pictures cause they look so beat up)

1986-1988

GUITARS
Kris Derrig build 1959 Les Paul replica (Slash's favourite guitar, used for all AFD sesions)
MAX built 1959 Les Paul replica (his back up) seen in the "Welcome to the Jungle" Video
*both of these guitars were used at the Ritz Gig*

AMPLIFERS & EFFECTS

Heil Talk Box

Dunlop Crybaby

Delay pedal (for "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Rocket Queen"

Marshall 1959 SuperLead Tremolo Metal Plate (A.K.A. SIR Stock #39) modfifed by Tim Caswell - Used for the "Appetite for Destruction" rehearsals.

Marshall 1959 SuperLead Metal Plate (A.K.A. SIR Stock #36) and excact replica of #39 mod, done by Frank Levi and Glenn Buckley - This amp was used for the "Appetite for Destruction" recording sessions.

2 Marshall JCM800 - Used for the first leg of the AFD tour.

1988-1993 (here's where it gets tricky because Slash aquired A lot of guitars during this period). He retired both Derrig and MAX replicas for Studio work only....These are more or less based on what he played live.

GUITARS
1 1987 Gibson Les Paul Standard (flametop) Serial #: 81757532 his first real Les Paul
2 1988 Gibson Les Paul Standard (heritage sunburst)
1 1988 Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony)
2 1989 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (notably used on the "Estranged" recordings and live)
2 Travis Bean
1 Acoustic Guitar (for the L.I.E.S. acoustic set) not sure which brand.
1 1959 Gibson Les Paul Tobacco burst (Joe Perry's) as seen in the "November Rain" video
1 Gibson EDS-1275 Black Doubleneck (12/6)
1 BC Rich Mockingbird (probably his old one)
2 Guild "Crossroads" Doubleneck - 1993 on

AMPLIFIERS & EFFECTS

2 to 5 Dunlop Crybaby over the stage

1 Heil Talk Box

Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee (4 to 5 full stacks) most of these were destroyed in the famous "Guns N' Roses" St. Louis Riot on July 2nd 1991. I know Slash has at least two of them still.

Marshall JCM800 (A.K.A. SIR Stock #34) modified by Frank Levi. Used for most of the 'Use Your Illusion" recording sessions. Slash still owns this amp, and was used in the R&D deveopement stage of the AFD100.

Marshall JCM800 - post 1991-1993 for the remainder of the Illusions tour

By 1994 he had aquired over 100 guitars, most of which are Les Pauls. he has sold off and bought new ones so it is difficult to keep track. So from here on I wil only post his signtaure gear

Guitars
Slash Snakepit Les Paul (green and red with the Snakepit Logo)
Slash USA Signature Les Paul (tobacco burst)
Slash Custom Signature Les Paul
Slash Custom Aged & Signed Les Paul
Slash USA Gold Top Les Paul
Slash USA AFD Les Paul (a replica of a Derrig's replica)
Slash Custom Shop AFD Les Paul
There are also Epiphone versions of the everyone of the these....

AMPLIFIERS & EFFECTS

Slash Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Heil Talkbox

Marshall Vintage Modern - Used for the last 'Velvet Revolver' album and Solo album.

Marshall SL2550 - Slash's first signature amp 1996, basically a Jubilee with some added features.

Marshall AFD100 - Slash's second signature amp 2010, a two tone amplifer the first being "AFD tone". "Sampled" (I know the tone isn't really sampled in the technical sense since we are dealing with tubes and analog, not digital technology but for lack of a better term I will use the word sampled) from Slash's indivitual tracks off the AFD masters. The overall amp is based directly off of JCM800 #34 amp (as I said Slash still owns it). #34's is the other setting inside the amp. He is currently using these amps for touring.

IF you have any further information or corrections to my post please post them.

mulefish
08-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Holy necro bump!
This thread is 5 years old!

Tunder250
08-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Holy necro bump!
This thread is 5 years old!

haha indeed

shadow__666
08-28-2011, 06:53 AM
So how'd those elastic bands go then?