Not One- Two Problems

PDA

View Full Version : Not One- Two Problems

guitarsolo91
01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey guys. Got a couple of problems here. First one. Not being conceited, but I think that I'm a pretty talented guitar player. I know music theory, chords, blah blah. I do have kids at my school who play instruments and all of which happen to be best friends. Now here's the perdicament. They kinda suck. I want to start a band, but first there is no one to play with, second, they consider me their "band" leader and expect me to make it sound good with them still sucking. Remember, all good friends. What do I do?

Second problem. Short one. How do you incorporate drums into a song? I can do guitar, rhythm guitar, and bass, but don't know how to put good sounding drums into a song? Any suggestions?

I Hate Music
01-02-2006, 11:35 PM
I know what you're talking about. When I was in highschool I played every instrument and sang lead vocals. I had to write out all the parts for my friends and none of them read music. I just kinda left them and did a solo thing for awhile. They understood I was just a lot better and I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

TrappedUnderIce
01-02-2006, 11:36 PM
You shouldn't have to write the drum parts, or the bass.

A band is a GROUP of musicians making music TOGETHER, not one person writing parts for eaCh instrument and having everyone else play them.

I know they are your friends, but if they suck, kick them out.

thechoicecat
01-02-2006, 11:37 PM
well, depending on how big of a gap in playing ability there is and how long they have been playing, and also how old you are will play a big part. suggest that they take lessons, and you since you are significantly better than your other guitar player (assuming he'll play rhthym) give him lessons. teach him how to play, since you can write parts for rhythm, teach him those. it just takes time, they probably have not been playing as long as you. do the same with your bass player if you feel confident enough to teach him. as far as the drums, i know nothing about that, but have your drummer just play some basic beats. practice, is what makes it.

EZLN libertad
01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
first problem, who says you gotta work with kids in your grade? i've had a similiar situation, i jam with em, just to get the experience of working with other people, one of them would pull out some half assed powerchord riff, and i'd just go nuts soloing over it, but i also formed a real band, which im working with now, im 15, vocalist is 18, bassist is 18, and drummers 16, im the youngest one, but yet, im like closer to their level then i am to kids in my age, you're not limited to just your friends at school, so yeah, you form a little screw around band with them, play at a party, gets you reputation as a good guitarist, makes people wanna see your band

second part, iunno really, try building riffs off of a beat, maybe when youre just going to your room, and a beat pops in your head, say hey if that drum intro came in with that, and i slowly built around it with this...

btw, kick ass mitch hedberg sig

thechoicecat
01-02-2006, 11:39 PM
also, you might remember that what makes a band sound good is creative difference. if you write everything it wont be a band, it will be you, guitarsolo91. what makes a band is everyone contributing.