Working with other guitarists in a band

PDA

View Full Version : Working with other guitarists in a band

Maverick49
01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know why, but I seem to have a real problem working with other guitarists in bands. They're either not as good as me and I have to teach them what to play in rehearsals and it really pisses me off, or even worse: they're better than me and want to play all of the solos! (although this doesn't happen very often). What are you guys like with working with other guitarists? do some of you have the same problem?

lamf89
01-03-2006, 03:21 PM
what kind of music your band/you play?

steamin'
01-03-2006, 03:21 PM
:rolleyes: I have the exact same problem in the band i play in for college. We are halfway through the year n have hardly any material cos this guy cant learn anything and has no creativity. If it was just me on guitar i would be gigging every weekend by now with all the sh*t ive got written

SudzGitplaya
01-03-2006, 03:22 PM
I have somewhat the same problem at the moment. I am not a soloist by any means, i am a singer and guitar player so i only play rhythm, but my lead guitarist is obsessed with malmsteen and i have to scold him everyday almost about how soloing for 20 minutes is not going to get us a gig...

I think its natural to have the black sheep of the group that wants to do something the rest of the band doesn't...and yea its usually the guitarist or drummer.

lamf89
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I have somewhat the same problem at the moment. I am not a soloist by any means, i am a singer and guitar player so i only play rhythm, but my lead guitarist is obsessed with malmsteen and i have to scold him everyday almost about how soloing for 20 minutes is not going to get us a gig...

I think its natural to have the black sheep of the group that wants to do something the rest of the band doesn't...and yea its usually the guitarist or drummer.

best way to combat that is to giv him like a 5 min kinda jam/interlude thing between a song or spread the 5mins out in between a couple of songs.Works well and can sound really good if jam kinda leads into song.

DarkTranquility
01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I play with a friend of mine and he always wanted to make a band. Well finally i have in and we started playing a bit together , Well he would always want to take control. He'd be like " Play this right here and then ill solo over it! ". It got old soo fast. He never let me make my own riffs and he would always change them if i did. Not that im jealous but he does it to everything , drums , bass and me. So I quit the band.

Lemmon
01-04-2006, 04:15 AM
I cant stand guitarists who think that other people want to hear them soloing for 20 mins.

Maverick49
01-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Cool, at least I'm not alone! i was the singer and lead guitarist in my last band and the other guitarist just didn't have the groove, plus he worked so much and spent so much time with his girlfriend he never practiced guitar! he had a car tho, that's the main reason we kept him in....

SilentDeftone
01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Just chill. Not everyone can solo all the time, just take turns. It's like learning to share in kindergarten! :)

-SD :dance:

freemind12
01-07-2006, 05:51 PM
ive never had this problem my rhythm guitarist and i learnt to play guitar together (he started about 1-2monthes after me) I think hes better than me but hed probs say i was better than him. But he never really wanted to be the one at the front blazing through an insane solo full of pinch harmonics but he does solo sometimes.

smitherson
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Get a new band with people you can have fun with

redwing_suck
01-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Look at bands that have/had two guitarists... see how they work...

DiGiTaLiS
01-08-2006, 01:59 AM
i dont have a band yet but i use to have one going until the bassist moved. we had two guitarists, one me on lead and rhythm and one my friendo n lead and rhythm. we never had any problems on who would solo in one of our songs. we had it so one person would solo then he'd give me a nod and i'd solo or vice versa.. we didn't worry about who was better or who was playin better solos we just jammed and had fun

golfskip
01-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Get a new band with people you can have fun with

You've got to be able to work together! if not ?get rid of him. Both guitar players
have got to do their homework! You can't spend your BAND practice time teaching
a guy what to play

And for the players that whant to solo every song for 20 minutes? Do a sinle act!
NO BAND NEEDS PLAYERS THAT ARE ON AN EGO! :eek:

Rocker4500
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I know what you're going through. Just make comments in conversations about the band that hint how extremely commited you all (the other band members) are to the band. He'll either accept that he's not commited as the rest of you and quit, or he'll get commited and raise his game.

BRM_PTX
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Same problem here.

sevendayloss
01-13-2006, 11:41 PM
find someone else
in the long run itll be worth it.