The Dresden Dolls

PDA

View Full Version : The Dresden Dolls

MattDaviesFFAF
01-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Ok, well, I have no idea how popular these guys are here but I couldn't find any threads on them, spelt properly or otherwise.

Anyway, I got these guy's album yesterday and I was just blown away.

Incredibly original and refreshing.

and they're from Boston

Myspace (www.myspace.com/dresdendolls)
Purevolume (www.purevolume.com/dresdendolls)

I'm not sure if their music on Myspace works...

and

Official site (http://www.dresdendolls.com)

Check em out. There's no way to describe them.

coin Operated Boy= the most accessible song I've heard in ages.

balltounge
01-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Ive seen the coin operated boy video, its pretty good.

doesnt leave me wanting to persue anything else though, sorry.

Biggs
01-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I think they're pretty good...very original.

In fact, it's an album I wouldn't mind.

They're supposed to be pretty good live too, so I may have to go and see them.

we have sound
01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
I have the album and the live DVD. They are something special. Coin operated Boy is my least favourite song they have done though. It has nothing of the emotion of the style of the others.

CT

starsnostars
01-04-2006, 01:52 PM
saw them twice last year, the dvd only hints to how amazing they are live

they love to do covers live, check some of them out at automaticjoy (http://www.automaticjoy.com/), even if you're not a fan. listen to their cover of two headed boy from the 1/1/05 show, i was there :)

sponj
01-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I've heard Coin Operated Boy and Missed Me and none of them caught my atention. They're original allright but that doesn't implie they have to be good.

ChildofBodom
01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Dresden Dolls are amazingamazingamazing. I was recently blown away by thier Self Titled. There's more emotion in 30 seconds of any song they've written than most albums.

pumpkins_rule
01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Good Day has brought me to tears.

uhh_me?
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
they are good stuff, disappointed that i missed them when they came near me though

rogue.orchid
01-08-2006, 08:16 AM
yeh a woman at work likes them heaps - they gave themselves a genre - its something like brechian cabaret punk... and apparently its spot on.... but i dont know enough about that...

girl anachronism is an awesome song and coin-operated boy is so fun to play on the piano... i play it for people and they laugh like its something off play-school...

tim_mop
01-08-2006, 08:19 AM
i've heard girl anachronism and its very original. a great getaway from normal stuff

bettywrong
01-08-2006, 12:03 PM
ay, finaly some who have heard of them. we dont see much of them here in europe, but thay play at Roskilde Festival last year, and did the greatest cover of War pigs. Its was great that Danish TV has repeated the show, once a week for ages.

Girl Anachronism is absoluly amazing. If żou dont no them listen to that song, with your speakers turn up to the max...

drlazmeister
01-11-2006, 09:05 AM
i love it. it's all so dramatic.

Slut
01-12-2006, 02:07 AM
PLEASE EXCUSE HER FOR THE DAY ITS JUST THE WAY THE MEDICATION MAKS HER

dresdon dolls pwn

Andrewbiles
01-12-2006, 07:10 AM
They're alright, heard a few bits and pieces in the past but nothing really convinced me to pick up their album....

No one knows (QOTSA cover) (http://www.copycommaright.com/covers/ddolls-nooneknows.mp3)

CornLord
02-11-2006, 08:24 PM
girl anachronism is an awesome song
That song = <3

Even if I didn't like them, they'd still be cool because they're from Boston.:D

frodoisdead
02-12-2006, 05:18 AM
i find them a little dull...

coin operated boy sent me to sleep.

Glen_Hansard
02-12-2006, 06:29 AM
I like them, threadstarter already recommened them to me :D

I love Girl Anachronism.

slinks
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
They remind me a lot of the Fiery Furnaces, except I don't like them nearly as much.

letsnotPANIC!
02-14-2006, 04:33 PM
girl anachronism.....story of my life lol

fleabass
03-15-2006, 05:26 AM
girl anachronism is just so great

i_strum_i_drum
03-15-2006, 05:39 PM
i once heard coin operated boy on the radio and i remember enjoying it.
i'll look into them sometime in the future

culex-knight
03-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I thought they were pretty good. Such sick piano playing, nothing amazing, just so creative.

And they're pretty fucking hilarious live when inbetween songs.

nickamon
03-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I've only heard "Coin Operated Boy" and whenever it's played on the radio, I change stations until it's over.

Lukeisonfire
03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
they are a great goth band. They are unique and from my hometown BOOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixiesfanyo
03-26-2006, 06:46 PM
good band. the new album looks pretty lame though.

starsnostars
03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
^from what i've heard there's a few good tracks, but for the most part, yes

they are a great goth band. They are unique and from my hometown BOOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldn't call them goth

uhh_me?
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
I just saw them last night and it was an amazing concert. I highly recomend seeing them if you get the chance.

MattDaviesFFAF
04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok, so these guys' new album's being streamed on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/dresdendolls

Enjoy.

Finalstraw23
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
They played two shows where I live one was actually for free at a Borders

mrFood
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Hmm, I like 'em, but I wish they would do more fast songs like Girl Anachronism.

I haven't heard any others like it, but I might be wrong.

Corpus
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
They are great live. A lot of crowd participation and performance. The drum is great live. A lot of fun to watch.

iamjosh
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
They're ****in' great, not for those of us who do not appreciate the slow tracks, but I have to mention "Half Jack" is the best ****ing song ever.

MattDaviesFFAF
04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
^I totally agree.

I pretty much orgasm everytime I hear that song.

I could listen to nothing but it for years.

Glen_Hansard
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I just got into them. Sex Changes is such a great song.

Will anyone furnish me with a linky to some bootlegys?

shifto
04-18-2006, 07:25 PM
^ http://www.automaticjoy.com/ is a pretty good site.

I listened to some of their new album on their myspace thing. I think it will be good but the first album is so excellent in my opinion it won't match it. Sex changes is superb but songs like Sing just seem lacklustre considering their talents.

one of my favourite bands though.

slinks
04-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I've really been enjoying Yes, Virginia..., I listened to it 4 times through on their MySpace and just picked up my own copy about an hour ago. I don't know if it stands up to their last album since I never picked it up but I've really been liking this one.

Glen_Hansard
04-19-2006, 06:56 AM
^ http://www.automaticjoy.com/ is a pretty good site.

OMG Awesomeo3000. Thanks!

MattDaviesFFAF
04-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Nicky, you idiot, that's already been posted in this thread and I have it bookmarked for months.

Anyway, yeah, the new album isn't half chaotic enough

Glen_Hansard
04-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Nicky, you idiot, that's already been posted in this thread and I have it bookmarked for months.

Anyway, yeah, the new album isn't half chaotic enough

Well at least I'm not a whore.

So should I get the first album instead?

MattDaviesFFAF
04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
:p:

Yeah, if you can find it, then totally get the old self-titled.

it's just an incredible debut.

Glen_Hansard
04-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Ok, coke baby.

MattDaviesFFAF
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, so I was getting worried that I might not get this album for ages cuz I hafta pay my brother back for an iPod (that hardly works...) and I didn't think I'd be able to get it til my birthday but I asked my mom to look in HMV today to see if it's in or anything and it was and she goes "Want me to get it for you?" and I was like "I have no money :(" and she said "Aw, well doesn't matter then" and all. Then when she got home she had gotten the album :eek: and I was like "I have no money" and she was like "I know" and I was like "I love you" and now I have the album.

It's still not as good as S/t. Not as emotional or chaotic and too many stories about sex (it's possible).

But standout tracks so far;

Sex Changes, Delilah, Sing, First Orgasm and Me and the Minibar.

Glen_Hansard
05-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Self-titled finally arrived today. I've only just started listening to it.

I hate the artwork.

Guitarist132
05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Hmmm they're pretty good.

This is what Nicky's had his panties in a bunch for?

Glen_Hansard
05-11-2006, 03:32 PM
This is what Nicky's had his panties in a bunch for?

*nods*

After listening to the album and watching the video of Girl Anachronism on the CD, I have decided this.

Amanda Palmer enjoys shaking her mamery glands about and likes the phallus.

I quite like the album.

MattDaviesFFAF
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
The art work isn't the nicest but the album is the ****ing sex.

And Sam, I had my panties in a twaist about this band wayyyyyy before Nicky.

The Mofaster
05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
hahahaha...

well I mean you payed for the music... the artwork is just extra.

Besides, this band is really good, enough to just ignore it's artwork and listen to without a care.

Glen_Hansard
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
hahahaha...

well I mean you payed for the music... the artwork is just extra.

Besides, this band is really good, enough to just ignore it's artwork and listen to without a care.

I know the artwork is just extra, I just said I didn't like it, too much kissykissy, and it doesn't effect my opinion of the music.

The album is really awesomeo3000. I'm listening to it for maybe the 5th time, I'm really into it now.

ratm136
05-13-2006, 07:37 AM
i've heard a few of their songs- coin operated boy, girl anachronism etc, and they're good. they seem to have an interesting thing going on, but Regina Spektor does a similar thing much much better.....

Glen_Hansard
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
The album is just amazing. I love every song on it(well, I'm not too keen on Truce but I still like it). I can't see why they aren't more well known.

Slide is so awesomeo3000. THE ORANGEMAN GOT YOU

Anyway, buy the album. Probably one of the top five albums I've bought.

MattDaviesFFAF
05-19-2006, 05:50 PM
^I know, I like Truce actually and the only songs I wouldn't skip forward to are Missed Me and Gravity.

Seriously though, Slide is just ****ing chaos in a piano.

Orgasmic

Glen_Hansard
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
^I know, I like Truce actually and the only songs I wouldn't skip forward to are Missed Me and Gravity.

Seriously though, Slide is just ****ing chaos in a piano.

Orgasmic

I love Gravity, the bit after "Someone tell her, Someone get her off!" is cool. Missed Me is probably my second least favourite, but I like the whole " it serves you right for kissing little girls" bit.

Glen_Hansard
06-16-2006, 07:24 PM
They are pwning on Jolls Holland.

I think someone told Amanda to put a top on, she was in her usual lack of outfit during My Alcoholic Friends, but then she had a top on during the second song(I can't remember the name, I don't have Yes! Virginia you see)

Andrewbiles
06-16-2006, 08:41 PM
They are pwning on Jolls Holland.

I thought it was terrible. The kid that only got one track was the best there.

MattDaviesFFAF
06-16-2006, 10:26 PM
They seemed completely out of place and played two completely unastounding songs. They can play soooo much better.

I thought it was terrible. The kid that only got one track was the best there.

You mean the Paolo guy with the peculiar nose?

I liked that The Automatics band, besides their keyboardist who looks like the vines guy and sounds like a blood brother.

reeced
06-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Those who have broadband can watch the Jools Holland show here (until June 23):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=later

There's also some great stuff from Automatic.

Andrewbiles
06-17-2006, 05:45 AM
You mean the Paolo guy with the peculiar nose?

I liked that The Automatics band, besides their keyboardist who looks like the vines guy and sounds like a blood brother.

Yeah, Nutini or something.
The Automatic would be alright if they got rid of the screaming kid. I've been telling people that for months now and its strange that people don't seem to actually notice him until you point him out (and then they get annoyed too).

Glen_Hansard
06-17-2006, 05:50 AM
I liked The Automatic a lot, I might buy an/the album of their's.

You're right Brian, they could have played way better songs.

Andrew, it pwned in my eyes because it was my third favourite band on telly, and I had never actually seen a proper video of them live. And Muse were on Wonathan Woss just before it *sigh* What a TVorgasmic night.

MattDaviesFFAF
06-17-2006, 08:40 AM
I missed Muse.

Don't suppose anyone's got a link?

fronkpies
06-17-2006, 02:35 PM
The kid that only got one track was the best there.

I agree :cheers:

Thats that last in the series for a while though :sad:

I didnt think the dresden dolls were to bad, gogol bordello (sp?) were good :D

EDIT: We have great air conditioning in this country.

Glen_Hansard
06-17-2006, 03:36 PM
I missed Muse.

Don't suppose anyone's got a link?

For Muse check on www.muselive.com. Someone will have uploaded it.

Dresden Dolls on BBC.co.uk or whatever, for UK people only.

ghettohippygrrl
06-17-2006, 04:16 PM
My gf loves thems... I don't know why. I've managed to find a couple of their songs decent through being exposed to them by her. We have a deal that I let her play music she likes that I don't if I get to play music I like that she doesn't. She likes a couple Mogwai songs. :D This post no longer has anything to do with the Dresden Dolls... but I don't know the names of any of their songs so I can't say which ones I like. :p:

Andrewbiles
06-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree :cheers:

Thats that last in the series for a while though :sad:

I didnt think the dresden dolls were to bad, gogol bordello (sp?) were good :D

EDIT: We have great air conditioning in this country.

I'm sure the last one's next week.
Overall the show was average. No one was exactly fantastic.
I spotted a video of the Muse performance on dimeadozen earlier. Didn't find them especially great either - but then again I haven't been much of a fan for a long long time now.

Glen_Hansard
06-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Muse weren't that amazing last night, but then it was only the third time they've played Supermassive live, and the first time with Chris's Vocoder.

ugly organ
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
i love the dresden dolls! i think they are amazing and refreshing something new and different! i listened to the song, "Sex Changes," and was blown away...Im probably gonna buy the album b/c their work is great stuff..totaly amazing..
anyone heard their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs."
o btw..I think its great that they're form boston too! :)

DigUpHerBones
11-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Yeah this is an old thread. I listened to a few of their tracks a few months ago and liked them, and for the past few days I've been completly obsessed to be honest. I'm really pissed off that I didn't get tickets last time they played here! Favourite songs are Half Jack, Girl Anachronism and My Alchoholic Friends. Does anyone here own their cover of Life on Mars by Bowie?

uhh_me?
11-18-2006, 01:50 PM
^Si, it is quite good...not as good as their Two Headed Boy cover, but good nonetheless

slinks
11-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Their "Karma Police" cover is pretty good as well.

Horebane
11-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Their Such Great Heights cover is amazing in my opinion, here's a link.

http://www.automaticjoy.com/mp3/Covers/The_Dresden_Dolls-Such_Great_Heights_(2004-11-05_Chicago).mp3

jagstang270
12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Girl Anachronism is amazingly written.

lukkrazy
12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
awesome band...i saw them a while back with panic at the disco! its cool theyre only a 2 piece. they have a heavy theatrical theme in thier music which makes it work for them. i recommend checking out the video for 'girl anacronism.' catchy tune.

----------
help me win mariana;s trench contest! clickage belowwww ;0
http://m30.ca/contest/?marianastrench?lukkrazy

bah humbug
09-22-2007, 09:07 AM
i love them like a fat kid loves cake.

Saintsatan
10-08-2007, 04:37 PM
They're awesome! They're a band which just makes the most of two people. They push the limits of their capabilities.

fallenangel20
01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
I love'm.

The first song I heard was the live version of "Astronaut". It was a video, actually, but I still liked it enough to want to get more.

I've loved everything I've heard so far, as well. :)

betty boop
01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
they are sooo damn avangarde.
girl anachronism is a complete mess. just <3 it.
coin operated boy was my first dresden experience.
i still feel those infantile feelings it awakes in me.
when u fall in love blindly and u want to put your boy on a shelf and watch him 24-7 lawl.

METALLICAFAN77
08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a incredibly wide variety and right now and for the past couple of months, this band has been the center of my obsession. I absolutely love them.

My girl and I have both planned on filming each other doing covers creative Karaoke Verit'es of there songs. We also plan on going to a concert of theres dressed exactly like them. If they ever come around. :cry:

break-me-in
08-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Ok, so I feel like posting here, but there's no real discussion going on.

Uh... Everyone's favourite songs?
Mine:
Sing, Sex Changes, Dirty Business, Mrs. O

I only have Yes, Virginia...

11yunited
08-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I only have Yes, Virginia...

Well get the self-titled album. It's mroe interesting.

TommUK
08-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for it and didn't see one so...opinions on Amanda's solo work?

insomniac68
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
wow, this thread is kinda dead...
i just got into The Dresden Dolls about a month ago, i was listening to my Last.fm radio thingy and their song Half Jack came up, and its now one of my faves by them. Also like The Kill.

rockfan7
09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/30936857880/the-whole-of-theatre-is-evil-is-now-streaming-its

Holy crap, new Amanda Palmer album is so incredibly good.