First Band Session

PDA

View Full Version : First Band Session

SuperAnalytical
01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Hello fellow bandie UGers. :)

I was wondering what my band should do for our first "meeting" as it may be. We (the drummer and I, I was the person to think of the band idea and the drummer will probably be holding all of the practices at his place) were thinking that we would go just talk for the first meeting. We've got another guitarist from another school (but we all know him) who thinks it should just be talking. I agree on both ends.

So I ask of you, wise sages of the band scene, to help me out with a decision.

Should we play or talk? Or talk then play?

Thanks!

AcDc_1337
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
what fun is talking, if you can jam? jam some tunes, talk in between. its pointless not to play, if its a band thats going to play music. i dont mean this in a bad way, but do you go on stage to talk?

danilo19
01-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Talk then play. Get to know what everyone wants, then get an idea of everyone elses style.

Bodom_Shredder7
01-04-2006, 09:22 PM
you guys have plenty of time to talk in between practices, if any just talk decided kinda what you want to achieve as a band and set some goals. and i recomend learning some covers before originals.

SuperAnalytical
01-04-2006, 09:33 PM
you guys have plenty of time to talk in between practices, if any just talk decided kinda what you want to achieve as a band and set some goals. and i recomend learning some covers before originals.

I agree with the covers before originals. And don't worry, I have about 30 songs to work with of my own, so I think for originals it would be cool. I'm going to learn Come Together before then because it's such an easy jam song. At this point after one, unserious year of self-teaching I know Nirvana, I can improvise on al the pentatonic scales, and I know a few other miscellaneous songs. I can obviously expland on my knowledge a whole lot more, but from what I've done, I think I'm doing fine.

SuperAnalytical
01-04-2006, 09:34 PM
what fun is talking, if you can jam? jam some tunes, talk in between. its pointless not to play, if its a band thats going to play music. i dont mean this in a bad way, but do you go on stage to talk?

Point taken. :cool:

Nedir Kire
01-08-2006, 12:14 PM
What you need to do is make a small list of influences. Find a song you like and jam to it. I would NEVER DO COVERS BEFORE ORIGINALS. Playing covers takes away from originality. There's nothing wrong with having some of the sound of your influences, just don't be the influence (DON'T SELL OUT, PLZ; IT'S A HORRIBLE DISEASE).

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
play then talk.

if you're the one setting things up, you should have in mind before the jam just what you want to play- and let everyone who's jamming know tentatively before you meet what you you have in mind. doesn't matter if it's covers or originals (your call- every band's different) but it will go much smoother if everyone is on the same page.

Ubbe
01-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Jam, talk, have some beer, jam, talk, repeat.