problems establishing a fan base and promoting

PDA

View Full Version : problems establishing a fan base and promoting

~Rock~Guitarist
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey, i got a dilema here with my band. I think that we have great songwriting, we have good recordings, a good set list, and about as many gigs as we are able to have with our current situation. we have a myspace to promote our recordings also and we are in a fairly big city. the problem here is that we have almost little to no fan base! people just arent picking up on it at school so we cant really find fans there, and we've been getting nothing from adding various people on myspace and playing shows - especially since its hard to get shows with little draw. My question is - where do i go from here? What do i do to promote our recordings and get the word out? What am i not doing/doing wrong in trying to establish a fan base?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

DorkusMalorkus
01-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Fliers? Give out free CD demos/recordings whenever you do a gig and leave your Myspace/dmusic URL on the cases. I bet it would be a good idea to find bands that are similar to you and that have a fan base and try to open for them when they gig.

I don't know I am just throwing out ideas. I don't have a band or anything...

Edit:

Contact venues? Maybe the House of Blues in San Diego and see if there are anyway you can open for bands. I don't know how that works though.

How is it in SD anyway? I might move up there when I am old enough to move out of the house and go to college.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Give out some free CD's at your gigs and get as many gigs as you can.

Dutch_Apples
01-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't understand how you got nothing from adding people on myspace. That was one of the key compontents of how we built ours. Also, start playing shows w/ bigger bands than you and gain from thier fan base. At shows, have a handstamp with you website on it, so when they go home they remember to check it out.

Then again, the reason you may not be getting a fan base is because people think you are horrible and not as good as you think you are. Just a possibility.

quinny1089
01-05-2006, 12:57 PM
flyposting is one possibility...

but dont cover other bands posters...first out of curtosy...and second because (well around manchester near me) a lot of flyposting is controlled by gangs and such (or so ive been advised) and pissing them off by putting your time date and location isnt the most wizest thing to do...

another way is to just make as many friends with similar type bands as you can the more established the better...do double gigs with them and basically steal their fans...go out watching bands gigging, get to know them and such...

~Rock~Guitarist
01-05-2006, 05:58 PM
thanks all for the suggestions

How is it in SD anyway? I might move up there when I am old enough to move out of the house and go to college.

well the city is great, but if you are talking about the music scene... its not that great. theres only a handful of bands making good, original music. a good majority of the music scene is taken up either by hardcore bands, or by washed up old man cover bands. nothing against hardcore music but theres really nothing new and original

sjones
01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
What kind of music do you play? If it is something that not many people will want to listen to, you may want to try maybe changing some songs to make them more "listener friendly".

DorkusMalorkus
01-05-2006, 09:59 PM
thanks all for the suggestions

well the city is great, but if you are talking about the music scene... its not that great. theres only a handful of bands making good, original music. a good majority of the music scene is taken up either by hardcore bands, or by washed up old man cover bands. nothing against hardcore music but theres really nothing new and original
Thats better than what I got...

Can I see your myspace?

~Rock~Guitarist
01-06-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, our myspace is www.myspace.com/ifmusic

eastern_riffs
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
A fan base should theoretically come as you play in concerts.However,it seems like this is not the case with you,so you have to try some other ways.Or,you have to build your style of concerting itself.

First of all,you said you were gigging as much as you possibly could.I know the money you get from gigs is very helpful,but you have to be selective on your gigs.You're not going to play just about anywhere,because that would make people think 'Oh,theres that band again.They seem to play everywhere'.You have to keep away from that situation.Play in selective places only.For us,we made sure we played only in clubs and got a good response from the club regulars.Yet,we make sure we dont play in the same club more than once a month.

Secondly,if building a fan base is your primary concern,then you have to give up your own musical style and play for the crowd.If the musical scene in San Diego is full of hardcore musical listeners,then you have to play a little bit of hardcore too.Dont drift away from your basic music style,just add hardcore to it.

If you go to a school,you can definitely build a solid worship group.Here's how we went about it when we weren't well-known yet. Firstly,we went to each and every class and got kids to tell us what kind of songs they liked.Of course,we were doing covers then,but its one in the same thing. So we got what songs they liked,and took 10 of the most common ones and played them live.Now,our schoolmates pay us to play a song they want to hear or dedicate.Yet,we're a rarity and do that for only one or two songs in a gig.

Handing out demo tapes and cds is a good idea on paper,but it wont work.If people dont like what you play live,how can they like what you're doing in a cd?And its an expensive method too,so it can really backfire.

You're not in desperate zone yet,there are still a lot of things you can do.