Butthole Surfers

PDA

View Full Version : Butthole Surfers

KURT4EVER
01-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Anyone like them? there music is one of a kind and you have to respect them for that.

DorkusMalorkus
01-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I like them, but I don't have any cd's. Just a few downloaded songs...

TheFluffy
01-05-2006, 11:15 AM
i like the name...some of there stuff is ok...

Joycey
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I only heard the one track that they did on the MI:2 soundtrack but i still think it's pretty cool... they certainly are a bit unique

JC 2K3
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, they're cool, Mike Watt is a God.

bassmo_part2
07-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Mike Watt ain't in the Butthole Surfers. He's in the Minutemen. Both are great though.

divid3d
07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
i love 'the shame of life' and i like 'pepper', but i havent heard anything else by them as far as i know. can anyone recommend any other good songs?

unluCKY...

slinks
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I've only heard "Pepper", "Moving to Florida", "Who Was in My Room Last Night?" and a few other songs I can't recall the name of. They're a good band, they just don't strike me as mindblowing.

opivenergy
07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
butthole surfers are awesome. i love the song pepper. they are really original and almost seem to change styles every song but its all great. tv star is a good song too.

Unseen_hero
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
^their stuff before 'pepper' etc. is what's really crazy. Find their stuff from the 80's. The singer or whoever used to do ****ed up things on stage too.

check out www.alternativetentacles.com

Ddarkgod667
07-07-2006, 01:22 AM
I love BHS..yes they did "sell out" a bit if thats the term you wanna use..(which is probally not the best fit) around ELectric Larryland...but still their music has been a huge influence on my playing and has led me to becoming a bigger fan of more trippy acidy music, and I'm a metalhead, So technically I play Thrash Acid Metal :)

~yardweasel~
07-07-2006, 01:13 PM
iv only herd one song, but it was good

GrungeMonkey
07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
whats a good album to start with if you want to get into the butthole surfers?

jticchi
07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
absolutly love em, tho im sorta the opposite ive only heard their stuff from the 80s (in terms if whole albums, i have heard the main songs)

the album i started with was rembrandt pusshyhorse, its a lot more surferish bits but blends em with feedback and sound experiments, check out waiting for jimmy to kick.
sea ferring's cool a basic surf rock song with weirded out lyrics, their cover of american woman is what ud expect from them at this time, its good. mark says alright is a scary jam.

psychic powerless... another man's sac is a lot more punkish with lots of feedback.
locust abortion technician is deemed their work of art, and thats right, tho its no mona lisa, its a work of art like that of Paul McCarthy's except on record, it opens with a twisted cover of Sweet leaf, titled sweet loaf, i saw in an interview they didnt want ot create an album wirth a concept but wanted to make each song a concept of its own , theres the very very sludgy, songs like the slow grave yard (yeh they do the song in 2 speeds) and pittsburgh to lebannon, the abstract, like Hay (not to b confused with their song Hey, lol) and more bizarre sonic exploration USSA and the o men , it ends with what people call the scariest song ever, 22 goin on 23. tho i didnt find it too bad, must depend on how high u r i guess.

Hairway to steven could also b a beginner record to after Rembrandt, it explores many genres, camp-fire sond, grunge or twisted metal (jimi) country check out Rocky (or track 8) which brings me to another point, there r no song titles (tho thats changed since ther net) just rude cartoons.

so there ya go,

does anyone have any guitar tabs from these albums (cept for the 1s already on UG) there was a site i was on b4 i got my guitar that had all the albums with a tab for each song, but when i got it a yr or so later it was gone, does anyone here have any of em, id really appreciate it.

daytripper75
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
my friend used to tell me about them a few years ago, but i never really liked them much until recently. theyre actually pretty good.

Doolittle
03-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, they're cool, Mike Watt is a God.
umm ok

but yeah i like the Butthole Surfers, i have their Locust Abortion Tecnichian album, it's really crazy it's like acid in music form good stuff nonetheless

Siftings
03-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I like "Whatever" and "Dracula from Houston", and definitely "Shame of Life"

Gibby Haynes sounds like Yosemite Sam on some bad acid, and I hear their early shows were legendary, with medical surgery footage playing in the background, and all the members ripping apart stuffed animals onstage, with lots of strobe lights and smoke. Fantastic band if you're into all the violent psychedelia :redbite:

kryptonite22
03-17-2007, 08:09 AM
they have that one song on guitar hero, its pretty fun.

paintITblack39
03-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I heard of them. I never got around to listening them.
Can someone give a link to me?

Emenius Sleepus
03-19-2007, 06:25 AM
I only heard a couple of songs, but they were excellent. Any recommendations as to where to start on albums?

edit: I just read a few posts above, but any other opinions are welcome

Doolittle
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
if you wanna start with an album get Locust Abortion Technician great great album...

Emenius Sleepus
03-20-2007, 08:46 AM
:cheers: I was thinking that too, so I might just do that

Liam Alan
03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Butthole Surfers are bad ass. Love their stuff. But my favorite Gibby Haynes work was when he did the scatting for Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" Too fricking sick.

VLVTRVOLVR13
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know what kind of gear the guitarists use, amp wise, guitar wise, effect wise...

ferchersan
06-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I have all the Butthole albums. I'd start at the beginning- A Brown Reason To Live. The first track The Shah Sleeps In Lee Harveys Grave is my favourite Butthole song. I would then recommend getting Hairway To Steven and the 2 E.P's on 1 cd Rembrant Pussyhorse/CReam Corn From The Socket Of Davis. Psychic, Powerless and Another Man's Sac is also highly recommended especially for the songs Lady Sniff and Butthole Surfer. On the albums from the 80's they had two drummers, King Coffey and his sister Theresa, they both played standing up and created some great polyrhythyms (check Dum-De on Psychic,Powerless...). Theresa had an aneurysm in the late 80's and had to leave the band. After this setback though, the remaining Buttholes got signed to a major label and got produced by John Paul Jones (ex-Led Zep) for the album Independent Worm Saloon. This was easily there most accesible album. Other major label albums from the 90's such as Electric Larryland and Weird revolotion were pretty much hit (Pepper) and miss. PIOUGHD is also worth checking out, especially for their version of Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man.

DownInAHole.
06-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I love their albums titles. Hairway To Steven, Electric Larryland, etc....those guys are genius musically as well.

Barracus
06-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know what kind of gear the guitarists use, amp wise, guitar wise, effect wise...

I think the guitarist uses some kind of sustainer equipped fernandez guitar.