Your Influence

PDA

View Full Version : Your Influence

Stula1031
01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey I was wondering... What CR guitarists have influenced your playing?

For me it was Page for a while but I think I have a realy big Iommi influence in my playing now. Also Syd Barretts odd style shows up in me a lot. In general I think I have a pretty unique style and it changes as my musical taste does.

(Randy Rhoads too but he isn't CR. I started learning Classical scales recently because of him)

EDIT: Crap I forgot David Gilmoure! He has a huge one on me too...

Voldragon
01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I was never really influenced by classic rock players as I was too much into metal, shred etc. However, in the past few months Ive spent a while trying to broaden my playing so I've been playing a lot of AC/DC. So Im gonna have to say Angus Young, but I have also been majorly influenced by Hendrix and Clapton and a lot of others too.

ilovethinlizzy
01-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Hendirx for revolutionary playing
Slash and Izzy for the licks and playing styles
Angus Young for chordy riffs

distilledspirit
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Jimmy page
Clapton
Hendrix
Dickie Betts
Tonny Iommi (Him the most)

Evil Kid 93
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Angus Young for hard rockin' riffs
Jimmy Page for bluesy solos
Jimi Hendrix for extensive use of the wah-wah pedal
John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison for melody
And (even though he's not really CR) Johnny Ramone, for the whole in-your-face punk attitude of things

Quite a fucked up choice of influences, but hey, it works!

frippogenics
01-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I use many influences. You gotta learn how to play like your favorite guitarists, and then forget. Then its all your style.

distilledspirit
01-05-2006, 04:41 PM
And (even though he's not really CR) Johnny Ramone, for the whole in-your-face punk attitude of things

Not at all fucked up. You got some good motherfuckers there. Lol I'm getting used to the way to sneak fuck in.

CmS
01-05-2006, 04:42 PM
The only CR influences ive drawn in (recently) was Tony Iommi.

Pinkfloydguy
01-05-2006, 04:43 PM
For me its Hendrix and Clapton for total show off bluesy solos, and a bit of it is accidentally Jimmy Page for (slight :P) sloppiness when playing fast....
And of course Mr.David Gilmour for lifting songs to a whole new level with a single guitar solo:D

slinks
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Eric Clapton
Alex Lifeson
Tony Iommi
Dave Gilmour

EvilMonkeySG3
01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Angus Young
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi

Evil Kid 93
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Not at all fucked up. You got some good motherfuckers there.

:haha Okay, that made me laugh.

I guess it's not really a fucked up mix of influences, it's just that...if you put those guitarists all together in one band, it won't mix. At all. So if I can put em all together...I'm ecclectic. :D

BrainDamage
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
David Gilmour and Joe Perry.

psychodelia
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Duane Allman, Carlos Santana for phrasing. Stevie Ray Vaughn for tone. Frank Zappa for risk-taking. David Gilmoure for tasteful soloness. Hendrix for rhythm playing.

BrainDamage
01-05-2006, 04:58 PM
EDIT: Crap I forgot David Gilmoure! He has a huge one on me too...
David Gilmoure for tasteful soloness.
its Gilmour, not Gilmoure ;)

AxeAbuser#2
01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
paul kossoff - free
gary rossington - lynryd skynyrd
andy powell - wishbone ash
snowy white - thin lizzy

all amazing ;)

Angus76
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Angus Young, Dave Gilmour, Pete Townshend, and Neil Young. And even though It is not CR, I am very influnced by bluegrass banjo. I incorporate a lot that fast picking and finger picking stuff into some of my music. Sounds fancy.

JkHalen
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Main influences for me would have to be Eddie Van Halen, Slash(even though he isn't considered CR here), Jimmy Page, John Petrucci(but he's progressive), Iron Maiden's guitarist(not CR either), Angus Young, and Joe Perry.

DownDark
01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Brian May (I love his harmonizing in his solos)

you gotta admit, the man is something special

mercedesisbenz
01-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
B.B. King
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Guy
SRV

rayIII
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Angus Young for crazy hyper-activeness and huge bends...
and Hendrix because I only improvise E pentatonic :D

self-made_page
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
David Gilmour
SRV

Uncle Salty
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Joe Perry and Brad Whitford
George Harrison
Eric Clapton
and Jimmy Page, a little

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Not really sure, hard to tell my influences seeing as I don't really write my own stuff. But if I did it wouldn't really sound influenced from any classic rock bands.

misfits385
01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Duane Allman
Dickey Betts
SRV

deadhead313313
01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I play bass, so:
Phil Lesh
Geezer Butler
Paul McCartney
John Entwhistle
Roger Waters
Tom Fowler

coldethyl
01-05-2006, 07:14 PM
In all honesty I'd say my biggest influences have come from Peter Frampton and Jimmy Page.
At a time when I was getting interested in guitar, those guys were big news and Frampton Comes Alive was doing the rounds as well as Led Zeppelin's albums.

I was also a big fan of Ace Frehley, but out of them all I'd have to say both Frampton and Page were the biggest to influence me. Throw a bit of EVH in the mix as well, but that didn't happen until '78.

Stula1031
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Ace Frehley is very underted...

KurtandKrist11
01-05-2006, 08:26 PM
David Gilmour for the sheer melodicness of this writing and playing has really influenced me along with Clapton, Hendrix, SRV and Omar Rodriguez (although he isn't CR, he's got a lotta CR influences).

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Jimmy Page for the riffs.
Hendrix and SRV for their trick play.
Clapton for the blues.
Garcia for the mellow moods.
Warren Haynes, Dickie Betts, Duane Allman for the Improvising
Derek Trucks because he's so young and so good (he's not from the CR era, but he plays with the Allmans)
Santana for being so ****ing good live.

Iruleeverything
01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
ooh for me I've been influenced by every single guitarist I've ever heard, which makes me unique because I'm better than you are and you can't do anything about it.......jk.......not........................okay I really was..........................or maybe not..........................but seriously I was.........................................................but then again I might not have been..........................................but I probably was.......................or not............................okay this is old.........................no it's not.....................................this time it actually is.........................................okay this time it wasn't....................

Johnsonville
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
My Dad

K00_b33n$!
01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Zakk Wylde (when he plays with ozzy) and Slash and a little joe perry

DownDark
01-05-2006, 10:02 PM
wow, Brian May really is underrated here, isn't he?

Master Shake
01-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Richie Blackmore and David Gilmour

MeGaDeth2314
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Angus Young
Jimmy Page
Hendrix
David Gilmour
Eric Clapton
SRV

and more recently Jeff Beck (solo)

Cousin Kevin
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
jerry garcia

me_and_my_esp
01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Who do you think?

Pete Townshend (the way he doenst rely on 100 mph and 100 minute long solos, and the way he works so well with tons of different chords, and the sound, like really old school punk. dammit i love it. you know that though lol)

anthonyzoso89
01-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Jimmy Pages slop
David Gilmours everything, is in my soul 100 % and everything play is based on Dave
Nels Clines noise
John Coltranes walls of sound
Jimi's Control
Omar's Sound effects

skydogzoso1986
01-06-2006, 03:07 AM
eric clapton
jimi hendrix
rory gallagher
jimmy page
jeff beck
duane allman/dickey betts

Wannabehippie
01-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Hendrix
BB King
Angus Young <------- Him the most
Ritchie Blackmore a little bit

groll01
01-06-2006, 09:18 AM
pete townshend

Prophet of Page
01-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Page (duh)
Gilmour
Scott Gorham
Gary Moore

About it for CR. Eric Johnson, Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert have all influenced me too.

BrainDamage
01-06-2006, 04:57 PM
wow, Brian May really is underrated here, isn't he? if you are saying that because not many people have listed him, then no...plenty of people think he's great (me included). Apparently he doesn't influence many people here.

Zach Strife
01-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Brian May
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page

spaceace_75
01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Ace Frehley all the way

Diabolic Clown
01-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Alot of players. David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin's latter stuff, Duane Allman, SRV, Roy Buchanan, Muddy Waters, and Robert Frippe to name a few.

jayr123guitar
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Jimi
George Harrison
Clapton
Jorma Kaukonen
Jerry Garcia
Carlos Santana
Page
on and on and on........
Blues is a different story.

Punk Poser
01-06-2006, 10:11 PM
My main influences in classic rock are Hendrix and Page. Their exciting and energetic solos with tasteful bends and other techniques have had a big impact on my playing.

Encore_God
01-06-2006, 11:08 PM
I can't get bloody Clapton out of my style. I blame the fact that my guitar only knows 2 scales. ;)

Maet
01-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I can't get bloody Clapton out of my style. I blame the fact that my guitar only knows 2 scales. ;)

:cheers: (except I know way more than just two scales)

dionysus85
01-07-2006, 05:27 AM
I'd have to say Jimmy Page
i don't listen to much Zeppelin now a days or play much either
but my style while improving is a bit pagesque with a dash of gilmour and a hint of clapton :)

my fav guitarist is gilmour though

AICriff008
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
~Duane Allman
~Gary Rossington
~Neil Young
~Warren Haynes
~Bob Dylan (yes, odd choice)
~Jerry Garcia

All contributing in a different way really, bits and peices here and there.

Thokk
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Hmmm.
Duane Allman
Martin Lancelot Barre(have recently discovered that i sound a lot like him)
Eric
David Gilmour
Jimi
Jimmy

Bloozy
02-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Digging down deep for an influence, I have to mention Chuck Berry. He came up with the basic grammar for how rock guitar is played, and he is the guy who influenced the people who made me want to pick up a guitar in the first place.

prs_guitarist
02-05-2006, 02:25 AM
you guys are insane. having idols isnt a gud thing to . it limits your productivety and u end up with covers.
i know i might sound insane when i say this but i had an idol once. he died.

Voodoo_Chile42
02-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Jerry Garcia, John Lennon and George Harrison, Mark Knopfler, Robbie Robertson.. I don't know..

Voodoo_Chile42
02-05-2006, 02:38 AM
you guys are insane. having idols isnt a gud thing to . it limits your productivety and u end up with covers.
i know i might sound insane when i say this but i had an idol once. he died.
Bob Dylan spent his early years trying to emulate Woody Guthrie. John Lennon tried to immitate Elvis Presley as did Paul McCartney. Even Miles Davis tried to work the grooves of Hendrix and Sly and Family Stone into his music, creating some of his best work. Now are you telling me that these men, who changed the face of music, only ever produced cheap cover songs? Every musician emulates other musicians to degrees. That's how music progresses.

EDIT: Sorry about that double-post.

sirpsycho85
02-05-2006, 03:20 AM
of the classic rock guys: hendrix, townsend, ronson's bowie work, page, gilmour, betts...

beau05
02-05-2006, 03:27 AM
id say im more partial to Ace Frehley, like a hardened forn of rock 'n' roll. Also Jeff Waters, his killer-clean shreding is fuckin awesome

play th' geetar
02-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Pete Townshend
Neil Young
Some others

fallinsuburbia
02-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I'll do my best to stick with CR.
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page(duh)
Angus Young
Eric Clapton
Randy Rhoads

ZoSoII_13
02-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Jimmy Page for his tasteful riffs and well roundedness
Pete Townshend, who is the biggest influence, for being the best strummer in classic rock, and his use of rhythm even in solo. Also his stage presence is a huge influence on mine, as i do the windmill, not to copy, but because of the intensity it brings.
Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash for his melodies
Clapton for his classic blues runs
Hendrix for his all out crazy noise making
Gilmour for his tone
Peter Green for being well, Peter Green

ZoSo.Led.Zep.
02-05-2006, 11:43 PM
clapton (cream era)
jimmy page
billy gibbons
hendrix
srv

Lillian Barrett
02-07-2006, 01:15 AM
I have been inluenced by so many different people in all different kinds of genre's.

Slade, T-Rex, Yes, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Zappa, Brian May is a big one though i love his style and the sound of his "red special" guitar as he calls it. There are just way too many to name them all so i will leave it at that!!

star1navyboy
02-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughan*
Eddie Van Halen*
Angus Young*
Jimi Hendrix

* =inspored me to pick up a guitar

DownDark
02-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Brian May is a big one though i love his style and the sound of his "red special" guitar as he calls it.

:cheers:

trey-col89
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Allman, Clapton, and Gilmour for improv and blues.

crazydiamond73
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
David Gilmour (mostly)
Buddy Guy, for the bluesier stuff I play.
Adam Jones
A little bit of Larry LaDonde
Robby Krieger

TimiHendrix33
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
Pete Townshend

Liam Alan
02-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Johnny Cash
David Gilmour
Lou Reed

..There are more I like but I dont use their progressions in my "diddies"

zeppfan
02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I would have to say that Hendrix got me wanting to play guitar but once i started i leaned more towards Clapton and Page.

Sun King
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
not very many CR influences anymore...
hendrix
lennon/harrison and all them
Iommi i guess is concidered classic rock now? so him big time

page was fun for about a year.

but mostly metal, like; Dave Murray and Adrain, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads (classic rock i consider it), and DimeBag(bigtime), Dave Mustain, K.K., Alexi.. stuff like that now, allot.

me_and_my_esp
02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Pete Townshend

who else??

I use chords more than anybody i know personally. no big long solos. either short but sweet, or just a kick ass riff.

Wilber
03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
My main influence would have to be Jimi Hendrix, but after hearing Jimmy Page, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison they are at the top of the list!!

VoodooChild15
03-08-2006, 07:08 PM
On guitar playing:

Jimi Hendrix - Probably the biggest influence on my style of lead. I have a very free way of playing. Where others compose solos with carefully selected notes, I (like Hendrix) most often rely on improvisation and play whatever I feel whenever I feel it.

Jimmy Page - Another huge influence, a large percentage of the phrases that I use in my solos are nicked from him.

Eric Clapton - One of my earliest influences, he served as proof that you don't need to play at light speed to be good. I learned from Clapton that feeling is more important than anything.

George Harrison - The man who inspired me to pick up a guitar. If it wasn't for his solo on Can't Buy Me Love, I would never have taken up the instrument.

On songwriting:

John Lennon and Paul McCartney - The Beatles were the first band I ever really got into. Five years full of other bands later, John and Paul are still the greatest still the greatest songwriting team in the history of rock and roll, as far as I'm concerned. I've tried at one point or another to emulate almost everything they did, from melodies to song structures to chord progressions and beyond.

Pete Townshend - Showed me that a kickass rock song is four chords, two minutes fifty. From Pete comes my great appreciation of simplicity, as well as my understanding of the power of volume ("You do something big on a stage and a thousand geezers go 'aaaah'").

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - It was through these guys that I was exposed to a wide variety of different styles of music and writing. It was because of them that I discovered DADGAD, and for a week or so after I did, I devoted most of my time to finding cool things to do in the tuning. I also learned that, if done correctly, you can sing about Lord of the Rings without getting your ass kicked.

On lyrics:

Bob Dylan - Who the hell hasn't been influenced by Bob? Dylan has tought me that no matter how simple whatever it is you have to say may be, there's always a beautiful, delicate, or stingingly witty way to say it.

Roger Waters - Roger set me on the path to writing about my distaste for my surroundings. About half of the things I wrote last year were in the same vein as Animals. He showed me that there was an intelligent way to slam the rest of the world.

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison ? Just like in everything else, the Beatles had a profound effect on my lyrics. Songs like A Day in the Life and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds inspired me to look for inspiration in ordinary things like newspapers or pictures.

Bmm386
03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Angus Young has had the most influence of any guitarist.

TheUltimateSin
03-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Well...

97% Randy Rhoads
2% Malcolm Young
1%Brian May

But I've notived that of the few things I have successfully written, they have had a difinitive Rhoads-sounding style. That's kinda why I have ceased writing music until I can develope my own style and not try to copy Randy's. I have too much respect for the man to do that.

EDIT: I suddenly realized that I kinda worded that oddly, but hopefully it is understandable and not confusing.

Wont_get_fooled
03-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Pete Townshend:

-stage presence
-use of chords
-technique
-arrangement
-lyrics

KingBrendan5149
03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
mainly Eric Clapton. whenever i solo or improve i'm just pretty much laid back and don't try to play too fast and that's what he's like.

plus, Cream is by far my favorite band to jam too.

mojorisin58
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Guitar: Neil young
Bob Dylan
Johnny Cash
Jimmy Page
Keith Richards
Robby Kreiger

Lyrics: JIM MORRISON
Bob Dylan
Roger Waters
Neil young

rx_eb
03-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Blackmore of Deep Purple
Clapton of Cream
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
SRV
Rory Gallagher
BB King
Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
Iommi of Black Sabbath
Mark Knofler of Dire Straits
Glimour of Pink Floyd
May of Queen
Eddie Van Halen
Robert Fripp of King Crimson
Steve Howe of Yes
Mick Box of Uriah Heep
Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top

and numerous other jazz and blues guitarists

that will do

Dudefc1
03-10-2006, 06:55 AM
John Lennon, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan.

knerken
03-10-2006, 08:57 AM
My CR Bass influences are Phil Lynnott, John Paul Jones, Gene Simmons, John Entwistle, Lemmy, Nikki Sixx(not concidered CR, even though MC started in 1982..), Cliff Williams, Geezer...

groll01
03-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Pete Townshend

OMGIZZLEZ
03-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Pete Townshend
John Lennon
Billy Gibbson
Johhny Cash
SRV

Gabuydachk
03-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Jeff Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Trey Anastasio
Duane Allman and Derek Trucks
Jerry Garcia
Steve Howe
Slash (if you can call him CR)
David Gilmour
Frank Zappa
Carlos Santana

slinks
03-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Jeff Beck
Mark Knopfler
Rory Gallagher
Johnny Winter
Alex Lifeson
SRV
B.B. King
Eric Clapton
Alvin Lee
Jimi Hendrix
Bo Diddley
Peter Green
Dave Gilmour

smurphy74604
03-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Hendirx for revolutionary playing
Slash and Izzy for the licks and playing styles
Angus Young for chordy riffs

same here

rockergurl09
03-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I'd say (in order)

Van Halen
and not exactly classic, but they've been around for a long time: Kirk Hammett
Joan Jett
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton
Angus
SRV

ridcullylives
03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Page, Clapton, Townshend, Hendrix.

And Ben Folds, even though he doesn't play guitar and he's not classic rock.

Bmm386
03-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Angus young is my biggest influence.

TimiHendrix33
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
^Is your sig for your forum Bmm386?

Anyways,Hendrix,Page,and Gilmour are my biggest influences.

get-born
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
My style is very unique, its kind of a blues-metal hybrid, i have a lot of major influences,

Jimmy Page
i try to make all my riffs like something page would do, he is amazing, also i love his soloing, and his speed while keeping great control

Eddie Van Halen
i try to stay at the pace of many =VH= songs and almost all of my tapping techniques come from ed

Randy Rhoads
i try to make my solos as much like randy as possible, i love the scales he uses, and also how all of his notes build up to something

Eric Clapton
i love the bluesy style he uses and his soloing is awesome, i love making my riffs like his cream-era stuff while adding a little zeppelin flare

Roger Waters
i love how he instead of playing notes as fast as he can, he just lays it down and just lets the notes hit you

SGRocker0791
03-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Angus Young
Tony Iommi

rx_eb
03-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Roger Waters
i love how he instead of playing notes as fast as he can, he just lays it down and just lets the notes hit you

:confused:

with a bass?

Roger's bass is quite good but not that great. he's better known as a songwriter and singer

or perhaps you mean DAVID GLIMOUR

Rocket2D4
03-14-2006, 06:00 AM
Randy Rhodes
Van Halen
Micheal Schenker
Richy Blackmore
Jimmy Page
Joe Satrian
Eric Jonhson
Alex Lifeson
Steve Vai
Jeff Beck
Angus Young
Tom Shelch (boston)
Neal (journey)
Iron maiden

Unknown artist...Cd(between the line) amazing guitar work
It jazz, but the guitar play dose pretty cool rock/blues/metal guitar, riff/scales.

I listen to all types of music from classical to country.
I listen to the music, then transfer those scales or feel into my songs
If you ever have a chance to listen to alison kruss...the guitars kicks ass.

The first two albums I learnd (rythem) was black in black & High and Dry.

When I don't pratice I sound like kirk, (kill 'em all)
I just speed/double pick my notes stupid fast
cuase I'm not as good as randy rhodes or satrian.lmaf
But once I get into the grove, I slow down and study/focus on the music. I get better.

I try not to sound like any body, but I sound like satriani/schenker
....not as good, of course. It also depends on what I'm listen too
that'll influence a song I'm writing.

born to run
04-12-2006, 04:10 AM
Mark Knophler
Jimmy Page
Bruce Springsteen

BrainDamage
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
:confused:

with a bass?

Roger's bass is quite good but not that great. he's better known as a songwriter and singer

or perhaps you mean DAVID GLIMOUR well, Waters does play guitar...but that's besides the point. I think he meant Gilmour.

AcdcKicksAss
04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Angus Young
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Slash
Eddie Van Halen
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Adrian Smith
Kirk Hammett

NineInchNails_0
04-13-2006, 03:20 AM
At first it was:

-Randy Rhoads
-Thomas Bangalter
-Mark Knoplfer
-Jimmy Page

But when I really started getting into music and when I developed my progressive rock style (Even though I didn't know myself that I was going to become a progressive rocker) the inspiration then, and now is:

Robert Fripp.

He's truly awesome in all ways. It was he that got me into experimenting with solos, chords etc.

ROBERT FRIPP FTW!

distilledspirit
04-13-2006, 08:52 AM
^^Haha dude he's one of the best and no one realizes it. He writes his songs with so much creativity.

Pl3h-B0y
04-13-2006, 10:50 AM
David Gilmour
Tony Iommi
Ray & Dave Davies
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Page
George Harrison (ive only been influenced by him lately)

aerosmithrock
04-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Mark Knopfler
David Bowie
Joe Perry

these guys rock

ThePurpleRabbit
04-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Mick Ronson & Angus Young mainly, but also Mr. Blackmore & Jeff Beck.

Mr. Eko
04-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Hmmm....I'd have to say:

Townshend, Clapton and Page.

Nobody's Hero
04-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Not CR, but Johnny Ramone has been the biggest influence on me. He just kept it simple. But also Jimi Hendrix, Lennon McCartney & Harrison, and when i first started playing, Angus Young.

AustinPrince13
04-21-2006, 04:47 PM
lets see... all 3 lynyrd skynyrd guitarists
jimmy page
billy gibbons
eddie van halen
guitarist for iron butterfly- heavy and in-a-gadda-da-vida eras
joe perry a little
and probably boston

Acϵ♠
04-21-2006, 05:00 PM
David Gilmour for sure without a doubt 100%.

Flying V
04-22-2006, 10:03 PM
In no particular order:

Michael Schenker, Ulrich Roth, Gary Moore, Tommy Bolin, Jimmy Page, Robin Trower.

What I like about each one of these guys is that they have very strong solo identities--each one has their own style and they never sound like someone else or lack distinction from other players. Schenker is in a league of his own, he has possibly almost as many imitators as Eddie Van Halen but no one ever sounds as souflul as Schenker when he's on. Ulrich Roth was doing whammy bar antics in the mid-70s that were pretty outrageous let alone the advanced scale concepts he was using. Gary Moore always plays like he's going for broke, an excellent player, lots of swagger. Tommy Bolin had a unique playing style, lots of triplets, pick attack, Echoplex wig-outs, and swagger. Page did a lot of large, strange-sounding bends that I don't hear many other players use. And Robin Trower's tone is so dark and spooky--his vibratos are great too. Trower seemed to only get better as he got older.

Having said all of this, I think Kieth Richards, Marc Bolan, Lindsey Buckingham, and J. J. Cale are really great players and definitely influences on myself.

I saw someone mention Gary Rossington and Paul Kossof above--also great mentions. Peter Green . . . Mick Taylor had one of the best vibratos ever . . .

joshsirjoshules
06-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Old thread needs to be ressurected.

Lyrics:
Syd Barrett
Bob Dylan
Jeff Tweedy
Bono
Tom Petty
Paul Westerberg
Alex Chilton/Chris Bell
Rick Nielsen
Mark Mothersbaugh
The Davies Brothers
Pete Townshend
Jack White
Teenage Fanclub
John Lennon

Guitar:
Syd Barrett
Michael Bloomfield
Mike Campbell
Jeff Tweedy/anyone else in Wilco
The Edge
The Replacements
Alex Chilton/Chris Bell
Lindsey Buckingham
Pete Townshend
George Harrison/John Lennon
Roger McGuinn
James Burton
James Honeyman-Scott
Richard Lloyd/Tom Verlaine
Teenage Fanclub

Bluesdriver90
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Eric Clapton, SRV, Robert Johnson, Mark Knopler, and Tommy Shaw

Cptbeefheart
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Guitar:
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
B.B King
George Harrison
Robby Krieger

Lyrics:
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen

wilty00
06-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Angus Young got me started on guitar, but Joe Perry has influenced me beyond anything Angus ever will.

Duane_Allman
06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Duane Allman of course, then Allen Collins, then a tie between Steve Gains, and Gary Rossington.

motleycruefan
06-30-2006, 12:45 AM
i'm a bassist so i would have to say when i began playing, Cliff Williams of AC/DC because all his riffs are easy, but my current influence is Jason Newstead

Jesse Mrau
06-30-2006, 03:19 AM
My biggest influences would have to be Pete Townshend and George Harrison. Just because of the wonderful rythym and power of Pete. And George because I am a perfectionist with music, as was he. As well I could list Mark Knopfler as a huge influence too.

Pride_And_Joy
06-30-2006, 09:47 AM
i more influenced by blues guitarists, but i did start out on classic rock, so heres the top 3

jimi hendrix
eric clapton
jimmy page

VR05
06-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Eric Clapton
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Neil Young
(I know it isn't CR, but) Trey Anastasio (Phish)
George Harrison
Robbie Krieger
Joe Walsh
Alvin Lee
Jimmy Page
Pete Townshend
...the list could probably go on...

Sloopy
07-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Mines gotta be:
Ace Frehley(for his wild vibrato techniques)
Jeff Beck (for my use of blues scales and riffs that work well with lyrics)
Keith Richards (for my strumming and chords)
Brian May (for the inprovisation and such)

EDIT: I didn't realize I could also post lyrical influences. Mine are:
John Lennon
Syd Barrett
David Bowie
Steven Tyler
Alice Cooper
Freddie Mercury
Jim Morrison
Burton Cummings

distilledspirit
07-06-2006, 06:34 PM
For guitar definetly Jimmy Page, a lot of Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton, Steve Howe, Ritchie Blackmore and George Harrison.

For lyrics it would be John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, George Harrison, Jon Anderson, Ronnie Dio.

Tadely
07-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I've mostly been influenced by Jimi Hendrix, but I also get inluences from others like Jimmy Page.

AdayTripper
07-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Same.

ratbollocks
07-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Im not a guitarist so I will just say my influential CR bassists.

John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin
Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
Glen Cornick - Jethro Tull
Roger Glover - Deep Purple

:cheers:

fr0zt
07-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Not necessarily for guitar, but for music altogether:

SRV for style/chops;
George Harrison for songwriting (brilliant);
Hendrix for style;
Crosby, Stills, Nash for harmonies;
Zappa for making me laugh, think, and be inspired in equal thirds;
Joe Walsh for tone and technique;
Jeff Beck for the cool factor.

hard_rock101
07-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Angus young
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix (though he is overrated)

Brandon860
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
my cousin kind of got me started into playin guitar but I think the one person who made me seroiusly want to learn was Joe Walsh. Just watchin him play live and seeing how well he could lay with like huge stubby fingers was just amaizing to me. It was also cause his stlye was to make everything sound sloppy but sweet at the same time. Him or Alex Lifeson, Lifeson because the guy has arthrits and still plays like a madman

Brandon860
07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
my cousin kind of got me started into playin guitar but I think the one person who made me seriously want to learn was Joe Walsh. Just watchin him play live and seeing how well he could play with like huge stubby fingers was just amaizing to me. It was also cause his style was to make everything sound sloppy but sweet at the same time. Him or Alex Lifeson, Lifeson because the guy has arthrits and still plays like a madman

g4cytheclown
07-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hendrix, Lennon (not the best player, but I like his music), Harrison. I didn't listen to much before I came on this forum.

alex_haeni
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
More out-there guys.
Nothing bluesy-rock like.
Frank Zappa.
Jethro Tull.
Some Gilmour.
Ect ect.

merkalos666
07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Gary Rossington from Skynyrd