Yet another: How much to charge thread

PDA

View Full Version : Yet another: How much to charge thread

Dutch_Apples
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I have finally found some bars/clubs/venues that "allow" original music concerts in my area but I am unsure on how much we should charge. In our area, an act playing a cover show that is relatively unknown like us usually gets $500-$700 for 4 50 minute sets of material. We have 6 people in the band although not everyone is being paid the same.

Our original set is around 45 minutes and we would probably play these shows with other bands (perferably better known than us.)

I consider it offensive to play at a bar/club for free unless it is for other benefit (e.g. we are doing a show at a bar in the next few weeks for a radio show taping.) Unfortunately a lot of people in my area who don't know what they are doing are willing to play for free anywhere and give musicians a bad name because of it.

How do I go around this? Oh yeh, we have a pretty strong marketing approach, so we can bring people in.

##_Guitar-newb
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
oh cmon dude FO! its not bout the cash $$$ its bout the music man...the music

jof1029
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
^ not when the music is your job and income. then you rely on the $$ for living. you are gonna have a hard time using a guitar as your food, clothing and shelter dude. so please dont be stupid.

i would say $200-$300 would be about the right ammount to charge. if you think that you are playing 1/4 of the time, then you would get about 1/4 of the $700. but i kinda figured you might be able to get a bit more because you bring people in and i know that you are active in promoting. but if you have to start out for a little less, then do that and show the venue that you will be bringing in people and promoting. then they would probably be more likely to pay you more.

P. Townshend
01-07-2006, 04:52 AM
It's cool if music is your livelihood but playing for free doesn't give musicians a bad name at all dude. There's nothing wrong with that.

Freunleven
01-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Playing for free as opposed to playing for money: On the one hand, you get losts of visibility. On the other hand, you're going to be playing for free for a loooong time. I mean, why should the bar/club owners pay you - ever - if you've already been going it for nothing?

A few groups who are willing to play for nothing upset the system. A bar owner is more likely to give them the gig - for nothing - than to pay a band (wherein the members actually pay their bills with money they get from gigs). And then, when the income-earning band finally gets a gig, it'll probably be at a greatly reduced rate, simply because other bands will do it for nothing.

This is worse than file-sharing. With file-sharing, you'd cut a few executives and artists out of money that they already have too much of (IMHO) - besides, you're breaking the law. By playing local gigs for free, you're taking money from the pockets of guys you've probably jammed with before, or might jam with in the future. It's not illegal, but it feels immoral.

:satan:

boothy
01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
The way you get big and make the $$$ is by playing as much gigs as possible, free or not. Get yourself known, get your songs known. It's fairly obvious.... accept the free gigs, until you've made it, get a simple job outside music - washing at a pub. That's rock n' roll.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-07-2006, 04:47 PM
basically, how much you get paid depends how many people you can bring in. over here the norm seems to be that headliners get a certain amount, then everyone else gets flyers or whatever to get people to bring for cheaper entry- how much (if anything) a band gets depends on how many people come to see you.

basically, until you have a pretty good fanbase, you have to expect to play for free now and again really, its the only way to get yourselves known.

quinny1089
01-07-2006, 06:21 PM
My band havent yet played any venues that pay any money to any band, but we are playing a gig at the Cavern in liverpool in juse, and if we bring 20 ppl to the gig who have our flyers, we get paid 1.75 per person...

we are planning to bring about 30 people so tht would be only 52 for the band...which is nothing compared to what you could potentially get..

and i dont see how starting bands trying to get as many gigs as possible, and playing for free is giving musicians a bad name...although i do see how it could cause trouble for somebody relying solely on the band income...

i think you need to consider how many people you are likely to bring to the venue; find out how many people venues expect you to bring; how many people other bands bring, and how much they get paid.

most venues (from what ive heard from experienced giggers) dont really care for the musician, and are solely focused on the income they are likely to take from the night. And many contracts that people sign have clauses about the amount of people you need to bring to get paid, among many other things...

Try to get as much as you can, ask other bands what they asked for when they first started gigging...and also try to find out about the managers of the clubs, as my band have been warned about at some places they can really be dicks and fail to pay for stupid reasons...

Dont know if i really helped...

but gd luck anyway :cheers:

UtBDan
01-09-2006, 12:10 AM
I cease to see how playing for free gives musicians a bad name...

...if anything the opposite.

P. Townshend
01-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Playing for free as opposed to playing for money: On the one hand, you get losts of visibility. On the other hand, you're going to be playing for free for a loooong time. I mean, why should the bar/club owners pay you - ever - if you've already been going it for nothing?

A few groups who are willing to play for nothing upset the system. A bar owner is more likely to give them the gig - for nothing - than to pay a band (wherein the members actually pay their bills with money they get from gigs). And then, when the income-earning band finally gets a gig, it'll probably be at a greatly reduced rate, simply because other bands will do it for nothing.

This is worse than file-sharing. With file-sharing, you'd cut a few executives and artists out of money that they already have too much of (IMHO) - besides, you're breaking the law. By playing local gigs for free, you're taking money from the pockets of guys you've probably jammed with before, or might jam with in the future. It's not illegal, but it feels immoral.

:satan:

If you feel like you're good enough to be earning the dough, then you should be able to blow a band that plays for free off the stage. There's nothing wrong with playing a show for free at all, in my opinion. If you've practiced enough to play like Van Halen, you will get money for it, so go practice and write some good songs and you'll get paid. If you can't do that, get another job. Don't be mad at musicians who like to have their music heard and don't care about money.

That's my honest opinion.

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 11:32 AM
people get paid to play gigs!?!

where is this magic place?

here in toronto it's essential to start off playing for free- or for next-to-nothing amounts that are your cut from the door. then split it between the band- coffee money! yay! but here playing for nothing is better than paying to play- there are heaps of scams here in the city that have some bars actually charging bands to play gigs, while others are run by sleazy production companies that require bands to buy tickets up front and sell them, or pay entrance fees by setting up shows as "battle of the bands" type events.

here, getting paid is a distant dream- the thing to avoid is paying to play, because then you get known as one of "those" bands....