How to help my band mates?

PDA

View Full Version : How to help my band mates?

Rocker4500
01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi
Me and my band have our first gig coming up. We've practiced like hell and are musically fired up and ready. My only concern is that my some of my band mates may well get stage fright. And I know that from watching other bands, getting nervous, standing still and staring and your fretboard is one of the worst possible things you could do live. :no:
I'm reasonably confident that it won't happen to me or the lead singer. Of course the drummer doesn't matter much in this sense. I have a feeling that the bass player and rhythm guitarist will get scared and not put on a good show.
Is there anything I can say before the gig to ensure that they won't freeze up?

Cheers

BobFromReboot
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Umm, theres nothing wrong with standing still and staring at the fretboard man.

Edit: To put on a good show, play good music.

tallyKHLUJHRT
01-06-2006, 03:42 PM
tell them the floor is lava

SomeEvilDude
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Meditation is a good natural thing to do beforehand to help stop nerves. Other people often suggest smoking a bit of weed, or drinking a little bit - but not too much in either case.

Either way, once you get up and start doing your thing, everything will go alright as long as you play fine, and you'll all start getting into it by about the end of the first song. Also, check the stickied 'Order Of Performance' thread at the top of the 'Bandleading' forum, and scroll to my post at the end. Some of the stuff may be of some help to you.

Good luck. :cheers:

Dutch_Apples
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Host a mock show in your practice area a few days before the show. Be sure to invite some people who aren't nessacarily friends/family of the band. Not only will this give them expeirence performing in front of people they don't know, but will also give the "audience" the chance to tell you what you need to work on before the show. Also tape yourself during this mock show and play it back, I've found some people with stage fright act different even when a camera is in front of them.

The best way to cure stage fright though is play as much as possible.

Oh, and a good show isn't about music. I think live shows are 25% music, 75% performance/stage show.

The Nameless666
01-06-2006, 03:51 PM
takes tums before the show, my band always does that and it seems to work:p: and i dont even know what tums is supposed to do lol

BuryMeInBlack
01-13-2006, 06:42 PM
If the singer probably wont get stage fright - get them to try and play the crowd, this gives more time for the rest of the band to prepare, get used to the stageon the night and feel more relaxed as the attention is now on the singer. Thats what im gonna do when a band im in for a battle of the bands is playin because i know one of the guitarists will be nervous as theyve only ever performed 1 song on a small stage once - so have i but thats beside the point- because i dont care if i make a fool of myself!

sevendayloss
01-13-2006, 11:46 PM
buy a **** load of monsters, turn up afi, and make sponge bob noises at old women.
its lame. yes i know
but its the best cure,
promise it works :cheers:

KENZI
01-14-2006, 09:38 AM
make them naturally confident. its a tough thing to do but if they aren't then anything you do will wear off and could ruin it.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Mock shows as often as ossible are the best cure - listening to yourselves on tape could backfire unless you know that you're playing good stuff. If you can impress your band mates with a recording of your band, you can convince them they can easily impress an audience.