Positions of the Band

PDA

View Full Version : Positions of the Band

NevermorePsalm
01-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I'm in a semi formed band at the moment, me (the guitarist), and a drummer and a bassist. The problem is, my drummer is the best in our little community, possibly the state. He is 14? I think and he is sponsered by Tama already. (I think it was tama...tama or pearl) Now any way, he is amazing and basically what keep the band grooving. But there is the fact he listens to bands that, although I have nothing against, I totally dislike. (ex: Korn) He wants us to learn these songs, where also I dont have a seven string, and I would die before learning. Also, he is constantly wanting drum solos, where as I'm fine with a few per set, he wants one in every song. I know this is egotistical, because I basically want a guitar solo in every song in the set, but where as you have the droning beats of the drum and the melodies of a guitar solo, which would the average audience rather want to hear? He is fine with the guitar solos btw, just I dont think a drum solo is good for every song, especially ones that dont require one. (ex: slow, dissonant type of songs) Which we have one of those slow songs, and he want a solo in it, and I really dont want that, because it just wouldnt fit. Then, our bassist, who Ive never even jammed with, is a total bitch, because he is just a stage hogging ass. He want every song based around him, and from other band hes been in that Ive talked to, wont play unless he feels like playing, and that is never. Also my drummer want to keep him, because he is the only bassist around that we can find. So anyone have and idea of anyway I could get out of all this crazy ****?

marsvoltaguy
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
shove a drumstick up his ass

RandyismyIdol
01-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I say screw the lot. So what if the kid is good at drums. Find/form a band you can have fun with.

NevermorePsalm
01-07-2006, 09:32 PM
NO, me and the drummer have a **** load of fun jammin, but its just how do I explain to him that there is a time and place for drum solos, and Id rather not learn those song. And the bassist is really more of a problem, because hes been in juvie for homicide, and I really dont want to fire him.

archangels
01-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Sit down and tell him, seriously, that it's nothing personal, but you just don't want a drum solo in every song. Tell him it's not that you don't want him hogging all the glory, you just don't really like the idea of having so many drum solos. If you guys write your own songs, Maybe you could suggest just having crazier drum beats in the background. Or maybe you could be really creative and have him make up a solo during the verses or chorus or something. But if he keeps being an asshole about it, just forget it. No matter how good someone is, nobody's gonna wanna be in the same band as them if they bitch all the time. I mean, c'mon, look at Axl Rose.

RandyismyIdol
01-07-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd say show him how a bunch of songs didn't have drum solos and were extremely successful. As for the bassist get a taser or something. Either that or go with marsvoltaguy and shove their instruments up their a**es.

merfsullivan
01-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Tell the drummer the bass player is his problem to deal with. And that if you guys keep him, the drummer is gonna have to deal with him. Also, just tell the drummer that those songs aren't in need of a drum solo. Say it will bring down the whole feel of the song. Sacrifice some of your solos so that it's not a matter of you getting to do everything you want and he gets to do little of what he wants. There has to be that one guy in everyband that leads and gives the others some direction.

NevermorePsalm
01-07-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't think I'll have problems with the drummer much, and I'm rather fine with not all songs having a solo, because some songs dont need one. The crazy drum beats during verses and choruses sound appealing, any artists in mind, besides Lopez from the Mars Volta? Maybe some Sipe? The bassist is the only problem, because he is this gothic killer dude that just doesnt know how to work in a band or anything.

archangels
01-07-2006, 09:44 PM
In the case of the bassist, just find somebody who plays guitar and is willing to play bass for you guys. It's not that much different. But make sure you like them more than this guy.

And uh...I can only really think of Avenged Sevenfold, especially Bat Country...the drums in the back sound nuts, but they may be easier than they sound. And even then I dono how good YOU are, so yeah.

NevermorePsalm
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Bat Country has horrible sounding drums imo. An example of how good I am....I will post in the original recordings tommoorow...think way above above average but below prodigy. ;)

Dutch_Apples
01-08-2006, 01:21 AM
No Solos in ANY songs= Problem solved.

Anyways, a former band I was in had a similar problem. We had a 14 year old drummer who everyone swore was bad ass, yet all he could play was metal. He would sometimes do a drum fill every measure, I listened to a concert we did back when we were with him and it sounded like garabage. The players will make your songs come alive.

I say if you don't see eye-to-eye or at least agree somewhat on the direction of the band, leave him. I rather have 3 good players in a band than 1 great one and 2 below-average ones.

FFFDFEFRFKFFF
01-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Maybe you should show them this thread. You'd have a little fight and then make up and talk it all out.

golfskip
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Maybe you should show them this thread. You'd have a little fight and then make up and talk it all out.
GREAT IDEA!
Show him this and than I'd start looking for a different drummer anyway. If he's as good as you say he is, he won't be hanging around long , he'll be looking for bigger
and better things.

Rocker4500
01-08-2006, 10:45 AM
To save confrontation, leave the band and set up a new one. If there is another guitarist or a singer then take them to. It shouldn't be too hard to build a new band.

john15
01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
what i would suggest is you all get togeather and get drunk and start talking things out......thats how i solved some things with the folks i play with :)

d_man2k
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd rather have a down-to-earth drummer who is average at best than a drummer who is best in the state who is as egotistical as yours. Tell him to either stop being such a stuck up ***hole or get out of the band.

take_it_t
01-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Sounds like you've got some real issues to worry about, and I know where your coming at with not beeing able to find a bass player, and your best bet is just to either work without a bass player untill someone comes around or talk to your bass player, sometimes if you just discuss how you feel they will be understanding and come around. As for the drummer, I'd really like to hear how good this drummer is, and your going to need to really tell him maybe get the whole band to tell him that drum solos don't fit in with every song, and beleive me they don't, it's very rare your going to find a drum solo in most songs to begin with. I've gone through this sort of thing with my drummer before, I've been lucky and just telling them they will be understanding enough. It's same thing as a guitarist you want to shine in every song with a guitar solo but sometimes it just doesn't fit in. If the drummer wants to do something a little out of the ordinary or fancy have him do some sorta fill now and then. No matter how good someone is if they aren't going to cooporate they probably aren't worthwhile anyways.

boothy
01-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Well it wouldn't really be a big thing to do. Just drop it in - a conversation about the bands music, what the last gig was like, start talking about how you could improve. Go round each member of the band with what each could improve in, so your not singleing the drummer out. Just say "maybe one point would be to cut down a bit on the fills and solo's (or whatever) mate, so the rest of us can work together better".

Just something casual always does the trick. If you sit down especially to have that talk it looks all a bit... serious? And also like you are having a go at him in particular. I'm sure it shouldn't cause an argument or something - if it does, someone needs to smoke a J and chill ;)

Punk Rocker
01-09-2006, 12:04 AM
dude u just gotta tell him that not every song needs a drum solo. If you cant get along wit him then screw it. Take our jerk bassist and leave.

mangablade
01-09-2006, 01:57 AM
In the case of the bassist, just find somebody who plays guitar and is willing to play bass for you guys. It's not that much different. But make sure you like them more than this guy.

really? REALLY?

**** you, you ignorant twat. dont ever step on an instrument, no matter how crappy it seems. and in this case, bass > imo becuz it is more versatile.

but seriously: What would Jingle Bells be like if there were no Bells? "Jingle snare, Jingle snare, snare drums all the way, o wat fun it is to play snare drums this fine day HEY"

Murahilin
01-09-2006, 05:04 AM
really? REALLY?

**** you, you ignorant twat. dont ever step on an instrument, no matter how crappy it seems. and in this case, bass > imo becuz it is more versatile.

but seriously: What would Jingle Bells be like if there were no Bells? "Jingle snare, Jingle snare, snare drums all the way, o wat fun it is to play snare drums this fine day HEY"
are you 12 years old?

Threadstarter: Either say NO SOLOS, that includes you too, or try to work out which song needs one and which doesnt; compromise. You dont need solos to make a song, an occasional fill and embellishments can make a song sound better.

d_man2k
01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
LOL he edited his post... :p:
too late though, he already got quoted :p:

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
holy just talk to the dudes in your band. there's no point in spending so much time and effort on something if you can't even talk to the folks you're playing with.

doesn't matter what their age is- my band ranges from 21 to 30- or how good they are. the bottom line is you have to spend a lot of time with these people- and if you can't talk to them about a concern like "too many drum solos" then you might want to re-evaluate just what it is you're aiming for and whether you'll be able to get there with your current lineup.

rathmusbass
01-10-2006, 08:34 AM
yeah you should have a talk, and also compromise man. its like, every song can use a solo of some form, so how about you two trake turns with solos? one song has guitar solo, one drum solo. also, learn some covers he likes and have him learn some you like. my singer is a huge six feet under and cannibal corpse fan ( i like them to ) so i learned stripped raped and strangled and torture killer and we did covers of them, and i want to do a cover of either an opeth, KoRn, or Slayer song and he is cool with that.

also, if shiat doesnt end up working out, get another drummer. the best bands are not made of the most talented people, they are made up of people who work with each other better than anyone else.

=-p =-)

jklsadj;sadjfak
01-12-2006, 01:55 AM
im in the opposite postion. i have to sit there with 20 minutes showing my bass player blitzkrieg bop! :D

and if i were you id boot him out

Next_Hendrix
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Surprisingly enough, I've been through the exact same thing. If you want to ditch the band, use deception. Create a false writers block and play ****ty at practices. Instead of this though, I dealt with this problem by pumping out new songs, and tweaking the feel. As a leader, you have to compensate for each member. Add some alt tunings, or hard feel for your drummer, but stick to the lead scales and rhythms you like through transitions. Picture children of Bodem with more sevenths and suspended chords, and less screams and you see what I mean. Peace,

Johnny

NevermorePsalm
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, probelm solved basically. We worked it out, the solo thing has yet to be confronted, havnt had the time, but he's a good guy, so there won't be a problem with it. Well, we compromised and decided that we'd do a few cover to get into the groove, so I'm learning a bunch of Metallica for him, because thats his favorite band, and I enjoy them. The drummer felt the same way about the bassist so that was good, and fresh song ideas are flowing. Thanks for all your help.

fender188
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
you dont have to put a drum solo in every song. Nor do you have to put a guitar solo in every song. If he is sponsored by tama, whats he got to worry about? I say one or two a set, and mention to him how if you put a drum solo in everything, then almost everything you plays gonna suck.

You could do something like Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin) and have a very long drum solo to make up.