essential tips

PDA

View Full Version : essential tips

boothy
01-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I thought here we could give tips oon how to run a succesful basic band, without it falling apart.

my first two are on problems/arguments in the band.

1. Keep your cool. You ain't a big rock star who can afford to smash his guitar into the amp and destroy the drum set... yet ;)

2. Compromise is not a dirty word :cool:

Zeus2716
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll add some:

don't be afraid to vary your style of music. experiment. try something new. there is nothing more boring than listening to a band who's every song sounds the same.

be open with each other, and make sure you can trust each other. become like a family. it can be so hard to share lyrics, a riff, a solo, or anything for that matter, with a group of people you don't trust and are afraid will make fun of you.

confidence breeds success. but don't get cocky or egotistical

and one big one: power chords can be good, and in many songs quite important, but DON'T OVER USE THEM!!!

edit: hopefully this thread will grow and pick up some good tips, and hopefully get stickied. hopefully :D

McCguitar
01-08-2006, 10:05 PM
If one of your band member is getting you frustrated with their playing or attitude, be upfront with them, dont talk behind their back, and decided to kick him out without a second chance.

im blanking right now... ill be back with some more

Remebol
01-08-2006, 10:57 PM
when ppl tell you to shut the **** up with ur instroment, then shut the **** up lol!! cuase its great u can play guitar or bass really well but your band needs to have a conversation with each other about band stuff with out u playing ur guitar.

Dont come to a band practice with out any ideas to bring to the table, or else things wont get done, and you guys will end up sitting there.

do not use taping (guitar) as an excuse for the entire solo

Dont mess up :peace:

jof1029
01-08-2006, 11:47 PM
the biggest one people need to learn: leave your ego in the closet with your coat, dont bring it to practice (first person to make a frozen waffle joke loses). no one wants to hear you go on about how good you are then watch you take the spotlight.

another one, be open and able to work together. sure maybe your favorite genre is classic rock but if the other guitarist wants to try a metal song go for it. and if you are more into metal and someone wants to try a blues jam, you have a clean channel for a reason DAMMIT! (bad personal experience with that one). you get the idea, work together and try to be open to the other members ideas/suggestions.

also, you need to work on your part at home and be able to play it decently, if not very well, by practice time. no one wants to spend the time watching you learn your part so you can play as a band.

redteamleader
01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
preparation, communication, honesty, commitment.

i know- it sounds cheesy. but you spend more time with the people in your band than anyone else- and it's not always easy fun time.

oh- and work first, get high/drunk later.

LedZepDudette
01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
- Share the work. Don't let someone else do it all, similarly don't hog all the ideas to yourself and insist on writing every song. Both ways you end up with no band.

- Don't let other people crash your practice... You have to be harsh on this, but when some guy comes in 'just to try yor guitar' you get nothing done. I'm tempted also to add not to leave other friends out, but that's because i'm a girl and one of my friends guilt tripped my other band members to quitting the band because she wasn't in it. Not good. Anyway, I suppose try to be extra nice to people who want to be but aren't in your band.

-...But get some friends to listen to you on the odd occasion. See above including jealous friends.

-Compromise or you'll just get arguments.

-Have chocolate biscuits atthe ready. Always. I don't know what I would have done with out them.

Well that's my two cents, hope it's appreciated :D

KENZI
01-09-2006, 02:09 PM
-Have chocolate biscuits atthe ready. Always. I don't know what I would have done with out them.

Well that's my two cents, hope it's appreciated :D

I know what you mean, chocolate biscuits are lifesavers sometimes, as is a good tin of old strongers (strongbow) either way some food/drink distraction for when things are getting tense or out of hand is gold.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I never thought of the food idea....

* In a trance *

Anyways - make sure these are people that you can get on with and always ask for everyones input. It's a team effort so everyone should have a say and feel valued and respected.

BreakingBnj
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
The ego thing CANNOT be over emphasized. I'm the singer/guitarist in my band, and I never try to be overpowering on others' ideas, nor do I try to make it sound like the "Oh it's all about me" project.

If someone wants to watch you practice, let them if they wont bug you, but warn them beforehand that it's a PRACTICE session, not a show. If they want to go do something else, hang out, or anything along thme lines, ignore them/tell them no. If they get pissed, explain to them that you told them it wasn't a show before they came!

Get responsible members/people that know how to play their instruments. I have been in WAY too many bands where the members only know how to play the intro to smoke on the water. That's FRUSTRATING, and you will get no where like that.

Also, never start a band with a best friend. It will leave you fearing fights and such. This is a VERY bad thing, as you will be afraid to speak your mind, or even kick them out (last priority) if they need it.

If I think of more later, I'll post them.

McCguitar
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Also, never start a band with a best friend. It will leave you fearing fights and such. This is a VERY bad thing, as you will be afraid to speak your mind, or even kick them out (last priority) if they need it.

I disagree, i mean for the majority of people this might not be a good idea. But, i started a band with 2 of my best friends, and we never fight, and we get alot accomplished, and everything has been going well since we started 3 years ago.

anyway.... new tip...have fun, 97% of the time, music will not be your leading source of income. Dont be too serious about yourselves.

jof1029
01-09-2006, 09:17 PM
As does the guy above me, I also tend to disagree with this. i have had MUCH better experiences playing with my friends than playing with people i dont know well. i play with my best friend when we are both around (not often as we go to different colleges) and it is great to work with someone you already have a good relationship with and you know you can work well with, as well as be honest and know that they will respect your ideas. you dont have to work to make that connection as a band because you already have it. i can see how it might not work, especially if you are younger, because lets face it, young teenagers are not always the most mature group of people and are often craving for attention. little bit of a stereotype there, but ive found that its easier to work with more mature people that you know. its my personal opinion based on my experiences, im not asking anyone to agree.

Remebol
01-09-2006, 10:10 PM
if u start a band with ur bestfriend, and u honestly get in fights, thats just says much to begin with. If its ur best friend, friends come first, music 2nd.

rathmusbass
01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
take turns writing songs. It is much easier to take turns writing new songs. A good idea is to have one person write their part and guide everyone else with their parts so you get the sound you wanted. After you composed one song it can be someone else's turn to make one.

Also, have more than one person write the lyrics. It usually sounds better when you have two or more good lyricists in your band. for example, in my band i have 3 good lyricists. My singer, my drummer, and myself, so when i compose my song i write the lyrics, when the drummer composes he writes the lyrics, and when my singer and guitarist compose their songs the singer writes the lyrics.

also, be flexible. if you write a batch of lyrics to go with a song allow the singer to change them a bit to fit their style. for example, i write songs with a lot of big words that my singer was unfamiliar with such as eviscerate, seriatim, and malvolence, so i let him change that around and i dont get angry if he changes a few lines or the rhyme scheme, because in the end it will be better for the song.

also, dont be a dictator. usually i have to direct the band, even when it isnt my song that we are working on, because i dont forget where transitions are and since i usually get my parts down first, but i am never a dictator. it is good to help guide everyone, but to straight up tell them what to do and how and when with no questions asked is a horrible thing to do.

and dont start bands with your gf, they usually end horribly, if not for you then for everyone else in the band.

=-p =-)

redteamleader
01-10-2006, 09:47 AM
and dont start bands with your gf, they usually end horribly, if not for you then for everyone else in the band.

=-p =-)

i second this one- wholeheartedly. we've been through close to 10 bass players now and never once have i allowed my bf to even entertain the notion he could be the guy we're looking for- no girlfriends or boyfriends in the band is a really good rule...

(of course, a similar rule can certainly be extended for co-ed bands: don't mess around with the people in your band. i know, i know- gwen and no doubt reaaaally made it work for them- but it's an exception, and a rare one at that.)

les_kris
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Be comfortable being a musician, this is within your music and your playing. Never be ashamed to be a fan of a certain typ of music and never be ashamed to be of a lower standard than any other musician, it doesnt change who you are.

I have another one, Never be intimidated to speak your mind within a band.

This is for two reasons, firstly it will allow you to have equal share within the group, and secondly theres little worse than playing a song that isn't to you likeing or too easy/difficult.

Finnaly, be yourself, you are who you are, enjoy it.

McCguitar
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Have Fun

rathmusbass
01-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Be comfortable being a musician, this is within your music and your playing. Never be ashamed to be a fan of a certain typ of music and never be ashamed to be of a lower standard than any other musician, it doesnt change who you are.

glad you said that. in my band my singer is all about death metal, my guitarist is all about sabbath, my drummer gets hard-ons for soad and metallica, and im the KoRn kid, and we all respect each others likes. being in a band is about making music, not about arguing over what bands other members like.

=-p =-)