Mississippi John Hurt...

PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi John Hurt...

Shoestick
01-08-2006, 10:14 PM
I started listening to this guy. I think hes awesome. He doesnt have the raw edge that you get from other good country bluesmen but he has a kind of melancholy lightness that is pretty cool. Hes like a delta blues version of Nick Drake.

Anyone else like him?

Calum_Barrow
01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
The only song by him I've got is Monday Morning Blues, and I love it. I'm gonna look into getting some more.

Encore_God
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
This man is phenomenal. I've played guitar until my fingers declared a jihad on me, and I STILL can't even come close to playing like him.

It's so downhome and honest. And it still has the Delta sound, that unmistakeable musical landscape.

This man is the only guitar player who MAKES me want to work harder.

Alarming Carrot
01-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Highly underrated and overlooked guitarist. One of the best ever, in my opinion, and influenced some great guitarists including my personal favorite, John Fahey. It's also sad that guys like John Mayer get a few pages but Hurt gets virtually no attention.

Encore_God
01-13-2006, 06:44 AM
It's also sad that guys like John Mayer get a few pages but Hurt gets virtually no attention.

AMEN. :cheers:

"Tele" Steve
03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
In my opinion, he's the greatest fingerpicker who ever lived. Some of his stuff really isn't all that "bluesy" as the term is generally thought of. Some of it's kind of reminiscent of early proto-bluegrass folk.

igotabcrich32
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
i had an album a few years ago when i first starting listening to the blues and i enjoyed it alot, now i want to listen to it again and i dont know the name of the album or where to start.

:(

al_
03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I will have to check him out, because surprisingly he isnt in my dads blues collection, and thats saying something.

"Tele" Steve
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I recently purchased 1928 Sessions. It's a really good collection of the only existing recordings of Mississippi John Hurt before the '60s I believe. I could be wrong but I don't think he recorded any more than that. I may have to read the booklet more carefully. Anyway, the quality of the recordings is really good. There's some crackling obviously but whoever translated the vinyl to digital format did a really good job...or the owners of the original recordings kept them in damn good condition. So far this seems to be in better condition than a fair amount of the collection of 1930 Skip James recordings I have.

Dom_H
04-11-2007, 06:22 PM
ah i was learning a song of his on tuesday in my guitar lesson, or atleast a version of one of his songs. 'shake that thing' i think its called. Really funny to play, once i got my head round it.