Singer or 2nd guitarist? HELP!

PDA

View Full Version : Singer or 2nd guitarist? HELP!

the1
01-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Okay, well I need to decide whether to get a 2nd guitarist or a singer. The only problem is that I write the songs, so surely I would be the only person fit to song them properly? I just wanna concentrate of either singing or guitaring, so I need to decide.
I'll ask the other members, but at the end of the day I am affected by this most. I would be happy to do a Alice In Chains type thing (Jerry wrote alot of songs, but he also did alot of vocals like backup and alternating like Layne)
So, what?!

Loosfur
01-10-2006, 10:32 AM
well... maybe you should start writing stuff as a band or drop the pride and get a singer.. it is possible that there is someone out there who can sing your stuff.... i mean really.. arent there songs you sing along to that were written by someone else?? anyway.. either get a new member or practice singing and playing more :) good luck

Sir Edwin CBE
01-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Ultimately it's your decision - we can't help - discuss it with your band.

Rocker4500
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I originally wanted to start my band with me singing as well as playing guitar, but getting a singer was possibly the best move I've ever made.
Also, we recorded a demo yesterday, even though I'm only guitar and backing vocals, I wrote something (music/lyrics/both) on every song. So don't think that if you write the songs you have to sing them.

deusexbass2150
01-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I would try being a singer first to try it out, if it goes well then stick to it and find another guitarist if need be but if you don't like it or your guitar comes calling to you then go back to your guitar and find a singer - well thats what I'd do and then when you do get a new singer you can write some of the stuff aswell

slipknot4
01-10-2006, 05:02 PM
i was actually gonna mention jerry and yea man hes an amazing guitarist and he wrote ALOt of alice in chains songs so depends if u like the guitar that much i dont see why u should give it up like alot of guitar players sing in bands like dave mustaine james hetfeild , the list goes on .

Murahilin
01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
The only problem is that I write the songs, so surely I would be the only person fit to song them properly?

Incorrect. Many, many, singers don't write the songs. That is if you meant "song" to be "sing"

Baba O'Riley
01-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Ultimately it's your decision - we can't help - discuss it with your band.
Of course it's ultimately his decision but we can help.

I just wanna concentrate of either singing or guitaring, so I need to decide.

Which one are you better at and how good are you at each? If you're a really good guitarist but not a good singer then you should get a singer and vice versa. You should go with your best skill.
The only problem is that I write the songs, so surely I would be the only person fit to song them properly?
That's not true at all. For example, Pete Townshend wrote almost all of The Who's material and Roger Daltery was the singer.

the1
01-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Okay, Ill try and find a singer, but its hard to find a decent singer at 15 yrs old, (And my school is jock central...)

Bulletbass man
01-14-2006, 11:15 PM
i heard your singing it isn't too great. THen again few is it usually takes a lot of time it tooke me probably 3 months before i could sing good.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Sorry - we obviously CAN help.

If you prefer singing, then sing.

If you prefer guitar, then play.

If you can't decide try both.