My band, or theirs???? HELP!

PDA

View Full Version : My band, or theirs???? HELP!

Megatallica
01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm learning guitar by myself. I'm crap tho! :D

I just started a band with some of my mates. We jam occassionally, and are gonna begin writing our own stuff soon. Nothing major tho!

However, a band i know (they're thrash/power/heavy metal) offered me to play bass in their band. Their bass aint that hard, so i figure i could possibly do it. Most of it is just standard root bass. They even have a demo out. It's not bad!!! And they get gigs too!

I don't know what to do! Stay with my band playing guitar, or go and play bass for the other band ( I dont have a bass, but they would lend me one).

Any advice???

Rocker4500
01-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Can you do both?

Megatallica
01-11-2006, 11:28 AM
I dunno, could I???? :D

How much is usually involved with a band? Like how often would the standard band practice a week? One that gigs, and has a demo out!!

I'm still in school, so I'm not sure if I could have the time!

Balsamo
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
I dunno, could I???? :D

How much is usually involved with a band? Like how often would the standard band practice a week? One that gigs, and has a demo out!!

I'm still in school, so I'm not sure if I could have the time!

It's all about organizing. If your current band would practise something like twice a week you'd still have time for both the other band and school.

[edit:You could also ask the band that has the demo etc. how often they train so you'd know how much of your time it'd drain]

merfsullivan
01-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I'd go with the established band first, then make the other band a side project.

Inf1n1tY.
01-11-2006, 11:41 AM
play with the ones u like more ~~ logically

turnipeater
01-11-2006, 11:49 AM
if you play with the more experienced band you could improve your guitar skills aswell as bass, its unbelievable how much you can pick up just by seeing other guitarists play and talking about it :)

Megatallica
01-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice.

I know nothing about bass though.....no scales or anything. I don't know much theory at all on guitar either. Would it be hard for them to teach me?

I was thinking that if I play bass for them, it would help me improve my guitar skills too?

Their bass is basically like Metallica's later bass (Newsted)....nothing really hard!

jklsadj;sadjfak
01-12-2006, 01:53 AM
do both! if yours isnt really serious, just make it your second priority, and something fun to do with friends.

rathmusbass
01-12-2006, 03:19 AM
go with the inexperienced band and let me join the thrash band ;-)

haha any thrash band that wants a bassist to do straight 16ths is a band i like ( 3 figner style pwns )

but seriously do both. im trying to see if i can join this hardcore/metalcore band while still being in my death metal band

=-p =-)

Some White Guy
01-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Both, it should be easy.