The ONLY AFI thread

PDA

View Full Version : The ONLY AFI thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Matt_sXe_Long
01-12-2006, 07:39 AM
So... the new song is available on myspace, and it's fantastic.
the new album is due out spring this year, and it's shaping up to be fantastic (see UG home page today for more info)

so who's waiting for the album, and who can't wait for a tour?

xpurplepolkadot
01-12-2006, 08:04 AM
i hope this is going to be a great album, a couple of years sing sing the sorrow, the anticapation of this album i can tell is high, i wonder where they r going 2 tour...who might they be with on tour? :vhan:

Rankles
01-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Keep it clean guys. This will be the only thread from now on.

Matt_sXe_Long
01-12-2006, 11:01 AM
can you do me a favour, and if any of the old problems should srise, can you delete the comments.

anyway, i hope they tour england, i've been gagging to see them ever since STS came out. what i love about AFI is their ability to evolve with music. originally they were just a punk band, but then as they evolved as people, their music evolved too, and now it has no genre to describe or classify it (although punk will do)

xpurplepolkadot
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
yea they have a class of their own, they written 80-100 songs, i have no clue if they were in a rush or they had lots of ideas, and cutting it down 2 just 22 and only recording 14... those 14 must be really good

Guitarist132
01-12-2006, 04:50 PM
yea they have a class of their own, they written 80-100 songs, i have no clue if they were in a rush or they had lots of ideas, and cutting it down 2 just 22 and only recording 14... those 14 must be really good
lets hope so.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Should be interesting to hear.

rayIII
01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I like all their stuff... I'll be checking out the myspace song :cheers:

HateBreeders138
01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I heard the new song. Its pretty good. If you like afi or the misfits/samhain/danzig or horror rock in general i would check out Son of Sam, a side project involving Davey. Its good ****.

sargasm
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
By new song, do you mean Rabbits are Roadkill on Route 37, or an actual new song?

Matt_sXe_Long
01-13-2006, 07:38 AM
rabbits are roadkill, but (from what i've heard from the official forums) a new song will be up by the end of the month.

caught22
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
just another cd from a band i love coming out this spring the vines new album is coming out in april as well.

it'll be cool to hear the songs that they chose to be on the album out of 100 and somewhat songs they wrote, if they are any good.

suicideangel_2
01-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Rabbits are roadkill on route 37 is not a new song and they will be touring the world but dont know when

Angelic_Demon
01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
MTV on Album (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1520443/20060109/story.jhtml) Kerrang on new album (http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/Teamaid/afi1.jpg)
Jade's Blog (http://shyboyswin.blogspot.com)
^ Contains an outro Jade wrote for the song spoken about in the MTV article, but the outro won't be on the album.
Jade on new Album (short) (http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/Teamaid/AFI.jpg)

Rankles
03-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Bump innit.

Ignite
03-17-2006, 04:05 AM
Ah... AFI. My favorite band. :) Kinda at the obsessed stage right now. Got all their CDs 'n stuff.

Anyone know how to get a good Jade tone? Like, what kind of gear would I need? I don't want to copy it completely, but he has a NICE guitar tone on STS.

die_kenny_die
03-18-2006, 02:59 AM
what's the album called?

matthew123
03-19-2006, 11:19 AM
AFI is not punk

RHCPhysco8
03-19-2006, 02:10 PM
yes they are.

sargasm
03-19-2006, 04:13 PM
They used to be.

Then they decided to start playing music that doesn't suck.

But we still talk about them here, because it would be a pain if there were threads about thim in more than one forum.

Get over it.

RHCPhysco8
03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
it's hard to classify them now but i dig both styles but it's great to see an only thread aboot them nontheless.

Ignite
03-26-2006, 01:59 AM
It seems like everything that AFI does is great IMO. I like almost every song they've made. From the speed-punkish oldskool, to then new dark melodic rock with little bit of punk thrown in there.

RHCPhyco8 is right, it's really hard to classify them. But if you listen to the song "The Prayer Postition" then that's downright rock.

As I've already asked, lol... Does anyone know how to get Jade's eargasmic tone (or something similar) from STS? It's a really great tone... :)

JohnnyNapalm
03-26-2006, 02:11 AM
Their first album "Answer that and Stay fashionable" is almost orgasmic.

misfitsdisciple
03-26-2006, 02:42 AM
almost, then they throw in "highschool football hero" and ruin it.

AusRottenApples
03-26-2006, 07:24 AM
I wonder if Davey nut's have dropped. I swear his voice went from slightly high, to kinda low, then way back up to 'nuts in a vice grip' high. He needs to hit a second puberty.

Anyhow, I can't wait for the cd.

sargasm
03-26-2006, 03:52 PM
It's called vocal range. It has nothing to do with the position of his genitalia. He's just a very good singer.

im not mental
03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
what do you guys think of that treasure hunt they're doing? i think it's really awesome. more bands should do stuff like that.

jckido21
03-29-2006, 10:25 PM
i really like all aspects of afi, tthe sorta emoish stage and the old school punk, and melodic rock stage, all were pretty awesome and cant wait for their cd

sargasm
03-30-2006, 12:19 AM
what do you guys think of that treasure hunt they're doing? i think it's really awesome. more bands should do stuff like that.

I remember calling the weight of words number when the email first came out, and later getting the (000)012-3456 call (which creeped me out because I didn't realise it was related)

I regret not having kept up with it since then.

Appearently there are supposed to be answers to the various STS riddles with the new album. Nothing resembling an answer to anything has popped up yet though.

Zaigonen
03-30-2006, 12:19 PM
haha, i dunno if anyone here is familliar with the language but the courus in bleed bl;ack always used to sound like it was in welsh lol

just thought that was quite funny

guh
03-30-2006, 08:33 PM
If it hasnt been stated yet, the new album comes out june 6th and is called decemberunderground

sargasm
03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
Appearently they will be playing headlining dates between their warped dates, which is exciting, because it may mean I get to see them twice, or even 3 times over a few days (If they play a Calgary warped date, a Calgary headlining date, and an Edmonton date which I can drive up for)

Prince
03-31-2006, 03:14 PM
ok, i will admit i watched a little bit of the grammy's last night. just the red carpet part with my 5 year old daughter. she likes kelly clarkson. there was an interesting comment made by a **** rock star that made me think about the state of music today, and here is what i think. i think it sucks.

the interview was with don dokken. ****ing dokken. **** rock at it's worst. dokken, arena rock, journey, melodies, power ballads, spandex, eyeliner, all that was wrong with music when punk started is back, and it's called punk by some ignorant people. dokken was asked who he liked in todays young groups. he said everybody. everybody is good to him because they were bringing back melody to their music. he said he liked sum 41 and avenged sevenfold. that pretty much sums it up right there. if dokken likes it, i hate it. i hate everything dokken does and will do. punk started out as a protest against the stale old **** that was on the air. bands that looked the same, sounded the same, got all the groupies, cocaine, and radio airplay were the enemy. punk bands were different back then. at one gig in london you could see sham 69, the clash, and the sex pistols and the slits. or in new york you could see television, talking heads, the ramones, and the dictators. in l.a. you could see the dils, the germs, the go go's, and black flag. not one of those bands looked or sounded like the others. it was raw, it was brutal, it was free and fun and crazy and true. it was what we were. it said what we were thinking. punk got a little carried away in the early hardcore years, with some newer bands drawing violent assholes who had a certain look to them, but the music was still different. middle class, bad religion, social distortion, the adolescents, they all were amazing and true and real. they played for the fun of it. there were no rock stars. in san francisco, dead kennedys opened for the germs, with flipper opening the show with a 45 minute version of sex bomb. the germs were a punk band. so was X. how different were they from each other? very different. that was the point. a common unity in protest and anti establishment, yet a very different approach in music, tempo, lyrics, etc... a new and different point of view that relected our ideals and our lives. it was as true a form of expression as we could get.

now what? what the **** is this new **** that people call punk? my chemical romance, avenged sevenfold, afi, fall out boy? these are giant bands now. they are the journeys and the fleetwood macs and the foreigners of today. the warped tour might as well be called the cash in on punk tour. there are still one or two bands on there who i like, but it has turned on itself, and eaten its own foot. we have let them take our music, our culture, our look and idea's and our very souls, and turn them into bank accounts, world wide press, and a huge fan base. sure, some kids will buy whatever you stick in front of them, but there are thankfully some younger kids who know what is true. these are the kids throwing backyard gigs, playing gigs with 3 people at them, going out in a van and playing basements. they are carrying on in the true punk tradition. i am 43 years old and i have never once thought of playing anything else. our drummer is 17. i could be his grandfather, but we share a love and a passion for punk rock music that transcends generations. he respects the old school, and i respect his young ideals and energy. we have a common thread that runs through punks. punk used to mean something to a lot of people. there are a few of us left. there are a million, if not millions out there who think they know what punk is. they have no clue, and i am not going to tell them. when i was younger i had to get to a gig any way possible. there was no internet, no file sharing. if i wanted to hear new music i had to find it, usually through a van load of other punks coming in to l.a. from all over the place. m.d.c. selling their first record at okie dogs. bad brains hanging out at the whiskey, handing out that first yellow cassette. amazing stuff. it still happens today, but not as often. punk still exists. it's in the heart and soul of an underground scene that is still kicking up it's heels in a beautiful display of life in the face of corporate death.

so, for those of you who look to mtv and the warped tour for punk rock, i can only laugh. for every million people out there who buy their uniform at hot topic and go see the latest in fashionably tragic boy bands de jour, there is a kid making a discharge shirt at home, trying to keep his ass from being kicked by the jocks and rednecks at school everyday, and keeping our music alive. go ahead and support those bands who are using us for profit. we don't want your fancy dollars anyway. this is not a trend, a fashion, or a hobby. this is my life. call me an asshole. i love it. if i have made you think, then punk still works.

**** dokken and **** rock. **** afi and small **** rock. that's all it is these days. pure ****. enjoy it.

-Brandon Cruz of Dr. Know

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-02-2006, 03:32 PM
AFI are for whimps.
Isn't that Davey guy gay?

Prince
04-02-2006, 03:36 PM
AFI are for whimps.

holy damn would you look who it is

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-02-2006, 03:42 PM
ahaha
yep.
back to pollute the **** outta this place.

Prince
04-02-2006, 03:44 PM
ahaha
yep.
back to pollute the **** outta this place.

most of the oldschoolers are gone

sargasm
04-02-2006, 07:19 PM
AFI are for whimps.

I hear if you listen to them, you're gay by association. I listened to them once, and I started thinking about penises, so I beat myself up.

sargasm
04-02-2006, 07:35 PM
BTW, Nick...

OMFGNEWALBUMJUNE6ANDALSOWARPEDTOURANDALSOWHEREARETHEFIVEFLOWERSANDOMGCHARLOTTEWTFLOLOMFGOMFG!!!!!!!!!11111111

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Omgwtfgdecemberundergrounfdimgoingmontrealwarpedandiftheydontplayimgointocalgaryforsyremxpxgoodcharlorteetetete Gkfkfjgnkgjnfg!@ww

edit: caps

sargasm
04-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Lolz.

When I said Charlotte, I meant the Charlotte from the new Weight of Words/Five Flowers stuff, not Good Charlotte, you rediculous man.

You should actually come to Calgary. That would be so party.

...party in my pants

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
PARTY IN YO PANTS.

ehehe

yeah
CHARLOTTEAPPLEHEADWITHBANDAGESUNRAVELING!!11!

sargasm
04-03-2006, 10:57 PM
So I was thinking about where the five flowers might be.

And I remembered This Time Imperfect where the lyrics go "There are no flowers, no not this time, etc. etc."

So yeah. There are no flowers. I win the 336clandestinecharlotteapple game

bucky_2300
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
After that Vampire Cats thread, I started to wonder where Nick was hanging out. Then I saw this thread.

"Ah." I said.

So yeah, AFI are still pretty cool. Maybe I will go see them in concert when Warped is here. I am totally not as hardcore as Jordan - I would not drive to Edmonton to see them. However, I would drive to Vancouver to see Joe Satriani. My priorities are dans la toilette.

Yeah, when AFI's new record comes out, I may buy it. If just for, you know, the street cred.

Because you totally get street cred when you buy an AFI album.

sargasm
04-04-2006, 01:23 AM
BTW

Duncan, I command you to go see The Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Plaza in Kensington during the may long weekend.

It's playing on the 19th, 20th, and 21st. (fri, sat, sun)

doors at 11, pre-show at 11:30, show at 12:00

Bring all your friends too. I'm going to be in the shadowcast, so I'm trying to get as many people as possible to come.

Also: http://www.uprisefest.ca

that may interest you.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh.. it makes sense
/swoons

AND...
that part where he's like...

... when the director sold the show, who bought his last rights

.. uh

damn.

hehehe if I come back to the forum Xtina, it's for the ahfee
and you

bucky_2300
04-04-2006, 05:24 PM
BTW

Duncan, I command you to go see The Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Plaza in Kensington during the may long weekend.

It's playing on the 19th, 20th, and 21st. (fri, sat, sun)

doors at 11, pre-show at 11:30, show at 12:00

Bring all your friends too. I'm going to be in the shadowcast, so I'm trying to get as many people as possible to come.

Also: http://www.uprisefest.ca

that may interest you.

Sure, I'll do my best to get there. I might as well get prepped, considering that musical theatre in PVA might be doing Rocky Horror next year, and I would totally audition for that.

I saw the uprise fest thing on albertapunk - I'll probably go, if I can squeeze it.

sargasm
04-04-2006, 06:35 PM
I highly doubt they're doing Rocky.

As far as I know, Richard O'Brien hasn't released the amature rights for it.

Also, I don't think they would want to run the risk of people like me showing up who would yell alot and throw things.

bucky_2300
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Hodge actually said we might do it though - which is the total awesome.

The yelling and throwing things is just part of it. "TOAST!" *wings a slice*

sargasm
04-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Is he aware of weather or not the rights have been released?

I definately read somewhere that the amature rights weren't released, but I think that information was about 10 years old, so it might have changed.

Ask him for me. I'm curious.

lespaul_jube
04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
what do you guys think about the whole 06/06/06 release date?...i didnt think that afi would go that goth...

sargasm
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
I think they're probably just doing it because it's the only time in 1000 years it will be 6/6/06, so they may as well release an album then.

sargasm
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Is he aware of weather or not the rights have been released?

I definately read somewhere that the amature rights weren't released, but I think that information was about 10 years old, so it might have changed.

Ask him for me. I'm curious.

Forget about this. I talked to him today.

Appearently the rights have been released in the past couple years, which is sweet.

If it happens, I might try to be in it instead of just showing up and yelling. It's not often I get a chance to be in it without just lip-syncing.

guh
04-14-2006, 09:41 AM
their new single miss murder premiered yesterday, an i think its the most amzing thing my ears have ever heard

MidnightHours
04-14-2006, 09:48 AM
www.myspace.com/afisnewsinglehere dont know if anyone has posted that yet.

the screaming in it is good, so is jades guitar playing. the electronics just add that extra little bit. please dont say it sounds like greenday.

fridge_raider
04-15-2006, 02:55 PM
The new single was good , but I have to say, on the the first listen it wasn't blowing me away. What does everyone else think ?

sargasm
04-16-2006, 02:38 AM
The new single was good , but I have to say, on the the first listen it wasn't blowing me away. What does everyone else think ?

I agree. But then again, if I just heard Girls not Grey on its own, I wouldn't be blown away by it either, but STS in its entirety blew me away.

lespaul_jube
04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
www.myspace.com/afisnewsinglehere dont know if anyone has posted that yet.

the screaming in it is good, so is jades guitar playing. the electronics just add that extra little bit. please dont say it sounds like greenday.

i hate to break it to you, but it does sound like green day. i was quite disappointed when i heard it. well, maybe its just that after sts, i was expecting something amazing. but i cant say i love this new style. hopefully the rest of the album wont be like miss murder.

DaveyHavokDavey
04-16-2006, 09:11 AM
i agree, its good but nowhere near as good as the songs on Sing the Sorrow album. Too Greenday like aswell. Also i think its lame how they waiting to release tha album on 06/06/06, if they have the album ready now they should release it!

MidnightHours
04-16-2006, 12:08 PM
i agree, its good but nowhere near as good as the songs on Sing the Sorrow album. Too Greenday like aswell. Also i think its lame how they waiting to release tha album on 06/06/06, if they have the album ready now they should release it!

It may be recorded but theres all that other jibber jabber that studios have to do.

MidnightHours
04-16-2006, 12:15 PM
i hate to break it to you, but it does sound like green day. i was quite disappointed when i heard it. well, maybe its just that after sts, i was expecting something amazing. but i cant say i love this new style. hopefully the rest of the album wont be like miss murder.

When I was waiting for black sails, art of drowning and sts to come out I was way more excited. Now I'm just nervous that there's going to be loads of new fans doing the propaganda while preaching their replicated political views from the great book of billy. Which will in turn piss off all the old fans.

NOFX-AquaCrack
04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
this is ****ing rigged...u can post ur damn afi **** but not NOFX...
who is more punk?

MidnightHours
04-16-2006, 01:10 PM
who is more punk?

who cares about the labels, sure to most people afi isnt punk but whatever. If it offends you so much ask to have it moved.

sargasm
04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
who is more punk?

There are posts regarding that issue at the beginning of the thread. Pay attention.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-16-2006, 06:12 PM
They first planned on releasing it on March 3rd, 2006 (03/03/06) but something happened and they had to change the date. 06/06/06 was the next somewhat 'cool' date

sargasm
04-16-2006, 08:15 PM
woah

3/3/6 would have been way cooler.

They should wait until next year and do 3/3/7

MidnightHours
04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
woah

3/3/6 would have been way cooler.

They should wait until next year and do 3/3/7

Clearly making fans wait another year would've made us all so happy.

On another note.

New temporary site up with news, tour dates, and miss murder. Also theres new stuff on the despair faction site for pre sale info on some shows.

lespaul_jube
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
can you post the link?

imburningstar4
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM
whos seen the five flowers site?

Rankles
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I've just stuck on Miss Murder and it does sound a bit too Greendayish, it really doens't sound like AFI. Rabbits are Roadkill was better. It does sound pretty 80's but his voice sounds like Billie Joe and it's a different kind of style to their usual stuff. Not happy.

The screaming was terrible. It sounded like some lame ass pop screamo band.

MidnightHours
04-19-2006, 11:32 AM
can you post the link?

It's just their main site that has the temp one up... www.afireinside.net

I also have a question...theres a history of afi that was just done. Once my computer was fixed I was going to do one, I still want to since the one thats up doesnt have much to it. Can I still do one?

MidnightHours
04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
The screaming was terrible. It sounded like some lame ass pop screamo band.

I guess you didn't like death of seasons or but home is nowhere...

Also the early stuff.

sargasm
04-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Omg! Wherearethefiveflowers is the best site yet! I'm going to be up all night with this one.

Rankles
04-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I guess you didn't like death of seasons or but home is nowhere...

Also the early stuff.

I've been listening to them for years and have all their albums. The screaming was weak on this song, high pitched and trebely.

In past albums it has been deep and strong.

Noone likes a know it all.

fridge_raider
04-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Lol, I know what you mean I wasn't too impressed with Miss Murder either. I just didn't think it measured up to their other stuff at all, in fact I was a little disappointed...

lespaul_jube
04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
click here (http://www.absolutepunk.net/gallery/files/1/0/8/3/Cover_Decemberu_300RGB.jpg) to see the album cover for Decemberunderground, not yet confirmed by the band, but obtained off Universal Music's press site, see the despair faction board for details. http://board.despairfaction.com/showthread.php?t=63020

Ignite
04-23-2006, 05:02 PM
everyone DOES know that their label made them release the album on 6/6/06.. right? The band can only say around what time they want the album to be released. Plus, 6/6/06 is on a Tuesday, which is the only date that albums get released. They are not becoming a goth band.

I really enjoyed the new single, and it way better than any Green Day song could ever be. Davey does seem to be a little deeper though..

Also, anyone know what I should get so I can have a nice tone like Jade? (STS)

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-23-2006, 06:59 PM
That 'tuesday' thing is bull****

yeah. now I'm positive that it's crap.

somepunkkid
04-23-2006, 08:46 PM
sorry but is your avatar a guy humping a guiar?

lespaul_jube
04-23-2006, 08:59 PM
not quite you dirty minded guitar enthusiast(everybody here is one, just look at the sex thread) hes simply holding a guitar

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-23-2006, 09:02 PM
sorry but is your avatar a guy humping a guiar?

No, he's humping your mom.

lespaul_jube
04-23-2006, 09:10 PM
No, he's humping your mom.
well said, the old "your mom" sums everything up

vlp_dope
04-24-2006, 11:54 PM
No, he's humping your mom. old and not cool

edit: holy sh!t...miss murder actually sounds like greenday! :eek:

Charlatan_001
04-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Yeah. I just heard it and I don't know what to think. I really like AFI, and the latter half of the song is good, but the rest is just too Greenday for me.

I hope the rest of their album is better.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
04-25-2006, 08:22 AM
old and not cool

just like your mom.

lespaul_jube
04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
just like your mom.

hahah, nice, exellent

RHCPhysco8
04-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Jesus christ, he's being sarcastic....

the cover of decemberunderground is pretty cool though.

swansareroadkil
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
hell yeah.
I dont know why you guys dont really like miss murder. THe first time iheard it i thought it was incredible.
Anyways, the song list is out on their latest myspace blog. www.myspace.com/afi i think hte blog is called here it is. something like that

NOFX_JustinSane
04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
NOFX are more ****in punk than these guys :/
Yet there not allowed in here........
Thats ****ed up

(btw i do actually not mind AFI)

sargasm
04-27-2006, 08:00 PM
NOFX are more ****in punk than these guys :/
Yet there not allowed in here........
Thats ****ed up

(btw i do actually not mind AFI)

We've been over this...

vlp_dope
04-27-2006, 11:05 PM
a million times, unfortunately jistin's right.

sargasm
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM
No ****. That's not the point.

MidnightHours
04-29-2006, 02:21 AM
So people are saying that afi said that miss murder is the only "poppy" song on the album. Anyone know more about what was said?

Also has anyone here been to a recent show and heard them play kill caustic?

Rankles
04-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Warnings for VIP_dope and nofx_justinsane.

TeenBite
04-30-2006, 06:56 AM
MidnightHours, I think it was Hunter that said the new album is all grindcore apart from Miss Murder.

Should be brilliant, everyone saying Miss Murder is Green Day and that AFI are over, hush, they've been trying to get huge for years and years, they're allowed to release a pop song (and a damn good one at that).

joel_grieve
04-30-2006, 07:48 AM
just listened to miss murder.....hmmm.....well really its just sound like the wrote for radio track....the drums were just way to marching band, the screaming was pretty piss weak...guitar work was alright, but it all just missed something...i guess it didn't have that afi energy to it, you know....even girls not grey had energy to it, but that as just kinda, well meh....you know how most afi songs leave you with a feeling...like leaving song part 2 cant leave you feeling isolated, prayer postition can leave you energised, dancing through sunday will leave you moshing...miss murder really just does nothing for me...**** this i'm off to listen to black sails, so i can feel something.

GarageGuitarist
04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I thought miss murder was... ok... But I mean, think about it. AFI's never been a band that tried real hard to break into the mainstream. But they achieved a good amount of fame with STS. Now, they have a legion of new so-called 'fans' eagerly anticipating the new album. They need to release at least one poppy song to give those emos and pop-punk jackoffs some incentive to buy the new album, when the rest of it is probably not as appealing to the millions of people who claim to be fans but are really just casual listeners who've only heard GNG and Miss Murder and would instantly reject the band if they heard them release a song that had a different, less poppy sound (which describes most of their songs).

I'm definitely excited for the new release, though. And about the 'symbolism' behind the 06/06/06 release date, just remember that AFI have used pentagrams and other "demonic symbols" on their merchandise before. But note that a pentagram isn't really a satanic symbol, or at least, it didn't used to be. It was actually a pagan symbol that represented nature and purity. So there's probably something similar behind the number, 666. AFI are not goth, and they are not worshippers of Satan.

MidnightHours
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm definitely excited for the new release, though. And about the 'symbolism' behind the 06/06/06 release date, just remember that AFI have used pentagrams and other "demonic symbols" on their merchandise before. But note that a pentagram isn't really a satanic symbol, or at least, it didn't used to be. It was actually a pagan symbol that represented nature and purity. So there's probably something similar behind the number, 666. AFI are not goth, and they are not worshippers of Satan.

Somones been reading the DaVinci code. In the part where they were talking about Malleus Maleficarum I was ike...AFI!!!

Also I think some members buddhist.

!_ToToy_!
04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
afi > all
even tho miss murder was a little pop-rock-ly maybe the whole album could be as good as sing of sorrow or black sails =)

CANT WAIT MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH

ill be the first person to buy it

and btw THEY WONT COME TO MEXICO GRRRRRRRRRR ARGHHHH **** **** **** **** **** SUCKS :(

TiMaRmStRoNg101
05-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I've heard Kill Caustic
eh. eh eh.
:(

sargasm
05-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I've heard kill caustic.

It goes:

"omg 336 / Jordan is much 1337er than Nick / And he's totally better in bed / Although Nick gives pretty good head"

repeat x20

lespaul_jube
05-01-2006, 05:02 PM
seriously?....can anyone post a link to where they heard the song?

MidnightHours
05-02-2006, 06:35 AM
seriously?....can anyone post a link to where they heard the song?

They're playing it live on their current tour.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
05-02-2006, 05:21 PM
I've heard kill caustic.

It goes:

"omg 336 / Jordan is much 1337er than Nick / And he's totally better in bed / Although Nick gives pretty good head"

repeat x20

AND then the bridge is like

Nick R B 2 1337 than j00

SOLO

has everyone else heard those rejected guitar riffs for one of the songs from the new album? they're pretty sweet

MidnightHours
05-03-2006, 07:30 AM
AND then the bridge is like

Nick R B 2 1337 than j00

SOLO

has everyone else heard those rejected guitar riffs for one of the songs from the new album? they're pretty sweet

The one for endlessly, she said?

swansareroadkil
05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
yea, i heard it. it sounds like sts. pretty sick actually

GarageGuitarist
05-03-2006, 09:37 PM
I want to hear this Kill Caustic and rejected riffs of which you speak!

Actually i'm going to see AFI when they hit MA, so it's all good.

MidnightHours
05-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I want to hear this Kill Caustic and rejected riffs of which you speak!

Actually i'm going to see AFI when they hit MA, so it's all good.

The thrown out riff for endlessly, she said is on jades blog spot thingy... his thing is shyboyswin I believe.

I Walk Alone
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I just started listening to AFI, damn...those dudes have addicting music...

MidnightHours
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I just started listening to AFI, damn...those dudes have addicting music...

Which era of their music have you looked at so far?

sargasm
05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
The Miss Murder video is out, but you can't watch it outside the US on the MTV site, and the only one anybody's uploaded on Youtube is a ghetto video camera - tv one.

laaaaaaame. I have to wait 2 whole days to see it unless someone gets it up on Youtube.

swansareroadkil
05-09-2006, 12:25 PM
****, i wanna watch it
i dunno about you guys, but i thought that the silver and cold video was really cool

guh
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I was there for the premier at the nokia theatre

sargasm
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Saw the new video.

Lol.

I don't know how to feel about Davey's new hair.

That song is starting to grow on me though.

I also heard Kill Caustic. It is fantastic.

If anything, I'm just a little dissapointed by the appearent lack of evolution in their sound from what I've heard so far. I probably shouldn't judge too much until I've heard the whole album though.

Angelic_Demon
05-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Saw the new video.

Lol.

If anything, I'm just a little dissapointed by the appearent lack of evolution in their sound from what I've heard so far. I probably shouldn't judge too much until I've heard the whole album though.
If what I heard from some people who have been to the listening parties is true, you won't be dissapointed by the change some people say it's their biggest change yet.

Rankles
05-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Miss Murder is growing on me. If only because it reminds me of the 80s electronica they've always had a hint of influence from.

All their new hairstyles suck. i don't like what they're doing and I don't like who they're doing it for but I won't make judgement until the album comes out.

swansareroadkil
05-10-2006, 12:41 PM
how is the new video anyway?

guh
05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Saw the new video.

Lol.

kill caustic and miss murder are completely different from the rest of the album. Its a really mellow album too. there is a really big change so you wont be dissapointed

swansareroadkil
05-11-2006, 01:10 PM
do they have an old song that sounds remotely close to their new style?
if not, is it closer to sts than any other album?

Angelic_Demon
05-11-2006, 03:09 PM
kill caustic and miss murder are completely different from the rest of the album. Its a really mellow album too. there is a really big change so you wont be dissapointed
Have you heard it?
I've heard from Davey there are fewer woah's then ever, there goes their trademark! Well if the album's as good as I'm excpecting it will be allright.

MidnightHours
05-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Did anyone else watch them on much on demand last night?

swansareroadkil
05-12-2006, 12:31 PM
no
i was at the dentists, and they had a tv, and mod was on, but they only said that afi were coming up. my apointment didnt take long enough. it was teh first time i wanted ot stay at the dentists longer. i dont have mod at home

sargasm
05-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Did anyone else watch them on much on demand last night?

I would've, had I known.

It'll probably be on youtube soon enough though.

Thank god for youtube.

TiMaRmStRoNg101
05-12-2006, 09:50 PM
I saw it
it was pretty stellar.

Some bastard got to hold Daveys coat though.
UGH.
It was pretty sweet though.

tylerishot
05-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Any links to new video or where I can hear Kill Caustic?

sargasm
05-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Any links to new video or where I can hear Kill Caustic?

Youtube, Youtube.

tylerishot
05-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Youtube is like the God of leaks, eh?

mint_car
05-13-2006, 11:49 AM
da anyone know what have happened to the old site?

Angelic_Demon
05-13-2006, 12:18 PM
^
Robert Smith sued them and they had to take it down.

imburningstar4
05-13-2006, 06:25 PM
^
why did he sue them???

lespaul_jube
05-13-2006, 11:19 PM
i thought that the miss murder video was simply ok, nothing special... i definitely do not approve of daveys new haircut, it was clearly better before, but anyways, im just praying that the rest of the album will be better than miss murder

MidnightHours
05-14-2006, 10:20 AM
i thought that the miss murder video was simply ok, nothing special... i definitely do not approve of daveys new haircut, it was clearly better before, but anyways, im just praying that the rest of the album will be better than miss murder

Not like his hair really matters. It's like a longer makeshift version of what it was like back in the art or drowning era.

Hearing the screams in the video made me realize that they are very weak.

mint_car
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
^

why? i would really like to have some of the bass tabs from there..

swansareroadkil
05-15-2006, 12:33 PM
lol, in the miss murder video, the part where davey's standing on the castle, and the posters/banners or w. e you wanna call tehm come down, i thought they looked like communists.
also, does anyone know where to get tickets fo their toronto show on June 15?
ticketmaster doesnt have them, and i dont wanna get them from a scalper, alhtough i proboably will have to.

duncang
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I like AFI. But the last 3 (or two, can't remember. The albums with cartoon covers have all been good) albums have been crap. The early stuff absolutely owns though, particularly All Hallows EP.

The Boy Who Destroyed The World is probably my favourite punk song (its just about punk)

I'm not looking forward to the new album, cause I know they've left the old style forever.

Angelic_Demon
05-16-2006, 09:32 AM
why? i would really like to have some of the bass tabs from there..
I was kidding...
They made a new site because they're entering a new era. The bass tabs are still on the new site I think.
Btw anyone seen the directors cut of the Miss Murder video it has prelude 12/21 in it, and I LOVE it, it gives me a good feeling about this new album.

alm0st a skat3r
05-16-2006, 04:08 PM
so uhh..

is davey gay?

lespaul_jube
05-16-2006, 09:38 PM
*awkward silence*

no

swansareroadkil
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
if you ever read any of his myspace blogs, u'll see that he seems very very feminine.
But that doesnt mean he's gay.
afi says hes not.

MidnightHours
05-17-2006, 06:49 PM
would it really matter if he was gay?

The album should be good. Davey reminds me of hitler in the miss murder video.

RockThe40oz
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
would it really matter if he was gay?

The album should be good. Davey reminds me of hitler in the miss murder video.

No.. it was just a curious question.

I was always told he was gay, though.

JohnnyNapalm
05-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Actually, Miss Murder is pretty badass.

I'm looking forward to the new album.

PerfectByNature
05-17-2006, 09:52 PM
yeah, it should be great. they're experimenting with orchestral sounds and electronic elements...i'm excited.

MidnightHours
05-18-2006, 12:57 PM
yeah, it should be great. they're experimenting with orchestral sounds and electronic elements...i'm excited.

Ya, it was good when they used them on the last album, but I feel it will be even better on december underground.

I actually liked the little part with the choir in ...but home is nowhere.

MidnightHours
05-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Sorry if I came off as an ass. Just after hearing the question a million times it gets annoying.

swansareroadkil
05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
are all you guys gunna get the album the day it comes out?
i was going to, but i decided that i'll buy it when they come to Toronto. its like 9 days later
Might be able to get it signed that way. It'll also be cheaper.
But im gunna download it when it does come out, just so i can hear it.

mint_car
05-18-2006, 01:59 PM

btw he's married (with a woman :) )

mint_car
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I was kidding...
They made a new site because they're entering a new era. The bass tabs are still on the new site I think.
Btw anyone seen the directors cut of the Miss Murder video it has prelude 12/21 in it, and I LOVE it, it gives me a good feeling about this new album.
hehe.. i was nearly on the way to hate Robert Smith for the rest of my life for that. but do anyone got any of the bass tabs?

swansareroadkil
05-19-2006, 12:39 PM
btw he's married (with a woman :) )

WOW!
Either that's really secret, or
you think it's true when it isnt, or
your just messing with us.

i think its #3
not saying davey's gay though

vlp_dope
05-19-2006, 04:27 PM
haha i just saw the video in myspace and the singer looks like marilyn manson

Ignite
05-20-2006, 04:50 PM
http://www.fanscape.com/popup_blocker.aspx?id=2977&ck=AFIREINSIDE3004b9beaa4a4015bd4d42841ff0a982&gc=AFIREINSIDE0b8bb46c8f9040f3bdfde00798e08778

Click the link to listen to the studio recording of "Kill Caustic".

At least I think. They posted it on the OMB. I have 56k so I couldn't listen.

tylerishot
05-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Damn that's pretty sweet. Still needs some work though.

dchen93
05-20-2006, 10:39 PM
it leaked.

BigFatSandwich
05-21-2006, 12:46 AM
wow. the things that man can do with his voice.... it's amazing. especially when you go back and listen to answer that and stay fashionable...

I will be owning this cd as soon as possible

HungLikeAsian
05-21-2006, 03:33 AM
if anyone wants the link for the new afi album, pm me.

guitarpunk21
05-21-2006, 10:03 AM
miss murder is a good A.F.I song.
So is the older stuff

WashBurn!
05-21-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't consider AFI punk.

Amy_Lee
05-21-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't consider AFI punk.

Does that really matter? :rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to "Decemberunderground". I'm getting "Sing the Sorrow" and "Retrospective" as soon as I get money.

Does anybody else notice how in the new vid Davey Havok looks really old? I thought he was at least in his late 30's when I saw it. I Wiki'd him and he's only 31.

TeenBite
05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Davey does have a wife, he doesn't look like Marilyn Manson. Contrary to what one of my friends said, he doesn't sound like Fred Durst (WTF?!).

Love Prelude, gonna be a great album. Davey's "new" voice is amazing.

Amy_Lee
05-21-2006, 11:06 AM
^^Yeah, he sounds very British, especially on his "I"'s.

"Hey, Miss Murder, can I? Hey, Miss Murder, can I? May beauty stay if I take my life? Whoa oh ohhhhhhh..."

vlp_dope
05-21-2006, 01:56 PM
he doesn't look like Marilyn Manson

dude look at the miss murder video...

and what's with the "heil hittler" thing? when i saw it i was like wtf

Amy_Lee
05-21-2006, 02:05 PM
he looks about 45.

dude look at the miss murder video...

and what's with the "heil hittler" thing? when i saw it i was like wtf

Heil Havok!

TeenBite
05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
WTF! He doesn't look like Marilyn Manson! I've seen the video half a dozen times and seen the new pictures of AFI (official shoot, MTV shoot), and he just doesn't.

misfitsdisciple
05-21-2006, 04:07 PM
i saw that music video recently and i didnt know what band it was at first, i didnt recognize davy havoc or anything.... i guess he kinda looks the same w/ different hair and more skinnyish..

they sounded more mainstream radio produced though, i didnt really enjoy it.

Xenn99
05-22-2006, 01:35 AM
I've really just started to listen to AFI. I got an album of theirs a while ago and listened to it a bit (AFI was the album) and I thought it was pretty good. I picked up Sing The Sorrow the other day and I was REALLY impressed. Great CD.

Then, I saw the video for "Miss Murder" and thought it sounded pretty good. Although the video was...odd. As for it being mainstream sounding, I didn't think so. It reminded me of the songs on Sing The Sorrow. I didn't notice much difference in sound...

I'll definetly get the new album. It should be great.

Lee_Himsa
05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I've heard the new cd plenty of times and it's amazing.
Really different to their other stuff.. but really good.

Angelic_Demon
05-22-2006, 12:05 PM
quoted for truth :)

tylerishot
05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone watching Muchmusic right now? Interview with AFI. They accidentally called Adam Carson, Jade.

Xenn99
05-22-2006, 08:55 PM

It's not even out yet. How did you listen to it?

Fr3wt
05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
So anyone here this album yet? I really like it, although it is different than their previous releases. I like the song 37mm it's sorta like a synth-pop song. Kill Caustic is also a song that has Davey screaming alot.
Check it out.

Ignite
05-22-2006, 09:43 PM
so far I've heard

Prelude
Miss Murder
Kill Caustic
The Killing Lights
The Missing Frame
Kiss and Control

And so far I like it. I didn't know the album had been leaked yet, and I thought I was getting live versions... heh. Oops. The Missing Frame is weird. It's like a disco pop song. Odd.

Fr3wt
05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Yup it leaked on BitTorrent trackers May 19th (according to Wikipedia).

I also like the part in "Kiss and Control" where Davey says this strong little speech that says "Hold me and tell me we'll burn like stars......."
I think this album has many great tracks.

sargasm
05-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I haven't decided weather or not to listen to it.

I'll probably just wait. June 6th isn't that far off.

Leftover_Crack
05-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I listened to the album, I didn't care for it. If anyone wants it, tell me and i'll send it over AIM.

tpen892004
05-22-2006, 11:08 PM
ive only listened to the album once, and i like what i hear

i like daveys scream

Angelic_Demon
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
I haven't decided weather or not to listen to it.

I'll probably just wait. June 6th isn't that far off.
I think you'll like it though, the progression is really like you hoped it would be.

sargasm
05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Glad to hear it. I might give it a listen.

DaveyHavokDavey
05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
The new song on www.myspace.com/afi is called Kill Caustic. Not too keen on it from my first listen.

MidnightHours
05-23-2006, 07:51 PM
The new song on www.myspace.com/afi is called Kill Caustic. Not too keen on it from my first listen.

It doesnt sound very afi at all.

Ignite
05-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Even though the album is very different, and not as good as STS, I'm still excited for the new direction they decided to take for some reason. I can't wait until June 6th so I can get my copy.

I just wish the STS-era would have stayed forever...

Lee_Himsa
05-24-2006, 04:35 AM
I feel bad for having decemberunderground, but it's AFI, i couldn't resist, it officially comes out May 29th over here (UK) so only like 5 days. How it leaked i dont know.. but i'm still buying it to show my appreciation for the band, i don't usually rip off bands by downloading their stuff.

Stay dark.x.

Angelic_Demon
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't really want to listen to the leak anymore before the albums officialy drops, because it's such mediocre quality, I already got mine pre-ordered :) For the people who have an AFIseries account, download the live session from the lock-up, they're amazing + it has Kill Caustic.
For anybody who hasn't heard the album, it's has a very 80-ish sound.

swansareroadkil
05-24-2006, 12:40 PM
i cant wait!
is it true that there's gunna be more than 1 album cover?
like 4 different ones?

Angelic_Demon
05-24-2006, 01:53 PM
i cant wait!
like 4 different ones?
No, there will be four (1 per album) different pictures inside one for each member.

MidnightHours
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
i cant wait!
like 4 different ones?

Beneath each insert of the new album theres going to be a portrait of one of the members, if thats what your thinking of?

Amy_Lee
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Maybe it's a grower :confused:
One of these tracks you detest on first listen but after sixty billion times of it you're moshing around like it's the best track in the world. :confused:

BigFatSandwich
05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
exactly how many afi CDs have you heard? they're ALWAYS changing their sound. Listen to Answer That And Stay Fashionable, then Black Sails in the Sunset, then Sing the Sorrow....

LedZeppelin
05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, except this song sounds like nothing. Just boring rock.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Where is this leak at?

BigFatSandwich
05-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, except this song sounds like nothing. Just boring rock.

ok.

lespaul_jube
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Where is this leak at?

anywhere...limewire...kazaa...any downloading program

Leftover_Crack
05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Where is this leak at?

link (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z4HSHNNS)

Spaceman_Spiff
05-24-2006, 09:29 PM
The new single is cool

swansareroadkil
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
im just loving the new album
its not that different from sts, though it does have itas moments where you wouldnt even think it was afi
good stuff though

by the way
lespaul_jube, are you an official afi fan?
like are you in the despair faction?
lol
just kidding

Xenn99
05-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Does anyone know what kind of guitars they use? I saw one pick of the guitarist with what looked like a Gibson Les Paul Studio...Anyone know any other guitars they use?

I already know they use Marshall amps, But I don't know of any other guitars besides the studio.

lespaul_jube
05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know what kind of guitars they use? I saw one pick of the guitarist with what looked like a Gibson Les Paul Studio...Anyone know any other guitars they use?

I already know they use Marshall amps, But I don't know of any other guitars besides the studio.

here you go sir, jade's gear (http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164219)

and he uses a mesa

Xenn99
05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
^Thank you kindly.

And am I the only one who noticed the wall of Marshalls in the Miss Murder Video?

tylerishot
05-26-2006, 04:51 PM
From what I've heard, the guitar is very similar to STS, but otherwise it's a very different sound for AFI.

lespaul_jube
05-26-2006, 11:42 PM
^Thank you kindly.

And am I the only one who noticed the wall of Marshalls in the Miss Murder Video?

no you are not, for one, they probably put them in for the brand name, and marshall probably payed them for it, also, they are just cabs

MidnightHours
05-27-2006, 02:16 PM
exactly how many afi CDs have you heard? they're ALWAYS changing their sound. Listen to Answer That And Stay Fashionable, then Black Sails in the Sunset, then Sing the Sorrow....

All of them...I've been a fan for 11 years. I just didn't elaborate on what I meant because I'm lazy. The songs I've heard already have grown on me and now I love them, but I still feel this is more of a mainstream effort, even more then sing the sorrow...and It's just not what I'm used to from them because it sounds like alot of bands out there. I know afi changes with every album, they're getting older and more mature, so the music will as well. It's one reason why I grew up listening to them so much, as I evolved into new music so did they. I'm an afi ***** (even joined the despair faction), jsut whenever bands come out with new albums I make stupid comments for some reason before I lsiten to the whole things 30 times over. So I guess just ignore my last comment.

MidnightHours
05-27-2006, 02:22 PM
^Thank you kindly.

I don't know if it says in that thread...I can't click on links...but Jade now uses a gibson sg live for the more clean songs, and he used a fender to record the leaving song.

Guitarist132
05-27-2006, 07:06 PM
new stuff is bad.

BigFatSandwich
05-28-2006, 12:35 AM
All of them...I've been a fan for 11 years. I just didn't elaborate on what I meant because I'm lazy. The songs I've heard already have grown on me and now I love them, but I still feel this is more of a mainstream effort, even more then sing the sorrow...and It's just not what I'm used to from them because it sounds like alot of bands out there. I know afi changes with every album, they're getting older and more mature, so the music will as well. It's one reason why I grew up listening to them so much, as I evolved into new music so did they. I'm an afi ***** (even joined the despair faction), jsut whenever bands come out with new albums I make stupid comments for some reason before I lsiten to the whole things 30 times over. So I guess just ignore my last comment.
I sorta know what you mean. You're a fan of AFI like I'm a fan of silverchair. I grew up and evolved with them too. I remember when Diorama came out, the first time I listened to it I was like, "whoa, what?? I don't get it. I don't like it." But after a few more listens it became one of my favorite CDs of all time... just like every other silverchair CD. and now I absolutely cannot wait for the new one. ooooh man. but I digress...

I dunno about you but I like it when bands come out with CDs I don't get right away. Those tend to be the ones I have to actually sit down and listen to and concentrate on and they always end up becoming my favorites. For example, I absolutely hated Thursday's War All The Time when I first heard it. Then I actually sat down and listened to the words, and listened to the music, and wow. (I still think the guitars sound like **** on that record, but whatever)

So I'm really excited to hear this CD. Even though I really don't like miss murder. ugh. I love kill caustic though.

DaveyHavokDavey
05-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Second listen...I like!

ss311
05-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Not impressed with any of the leaked songs I've heard

MidnightHours
05-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I sorta know what you mean. You're a fan of AFI like I'm a fan of silverchair. I grew up and evolved with them too. I remember when Diorama came out, the first time I listened to it I was like, "whoa, what?? I don't get it. I don't like it." But after a few more listens it became one of my favorite CDs of all time... just like every other silverchair CD. and now I absolutely cannot wait for the new one. ooooh man. but I digress...

For sure I'll end up loving the album.

I dunno about you but I like it when bands come out with CDs I don't get right away. Those tend to be the ones I have to actually sit down and listen to and concentrate on and they always end up becoming my favorites.

I was sort of in a way hoping for songs like Kill Caustic, even though I didn't really like it at first. What I mean by that, so it doesn't sound like I'm just walking around contradicting(sp?) myself is, when I heard Death of Seasons I fell in lvoe with it and hoped instantly that more songs would be like it on the new album. But Kill Caustic, to me, just ended up sounding like your typical mainstream screamo band. Songs like Death of Seasons and ...but home is nowhere were brilliant, and thats what I hoping we'd get more of. Jades nice little electronics in death of seasons that weren't even originally part of the song were great. So was the cello at the end with the faded screams.

sargasm
05-28-2006, 11:39 PM
They're pretty good. I'm not blown away right now, but they seem like they'll grow on me.

I definately like the electronic bits.

Alot of people will definately hate it though.

JohnnyNapalm
05-29-2006, 12:22 AM
oh god I love Electronic stuff.

Like the bridge in Death of Seasons.

Thats just ****ing awesome.

Ignite
05-29-2006, 05:27 AM
The electronic stuff and SWEET. Like the part in the chorus in "Love Like Winter". There's a little techno part. Yumm..

Update on what I've heard:

Miss Murder
Kill Caustic
Summer Shudder
Love Like Winter
Kiss and Control
Prelude 12/21
The Killing Lights
The Missing Frame

So far I am blown away. I mean, definately NOT as good as Sing the Sorrow. Nothing will EVER touch Sing the Sorrow. But this album is so cool. It's very diverse. I love the 80's influence in what I've heard. I think you have to have someone of an open mind to be appreciate this album.

I haven't heard Affliction, The Interview, Endlessly She Said, or 37mm. I REALLY want to hear these because I keep hearing how great they are compared to the other tracks.

I think it's safe to say the Kill Caustic will be my least favorite on the album. It's just WAY underproduced. It seems like they barely put effort into it. And it's very plain. But it's still a nice song to listen to.

I didn't expect my post to be that long. Wow.

EDIT: I know whats wrong with Kill Caustic. The guitar... somethings wrong. Not enough overdrive. It's not smooth enough also. The palm-mutting just doesn't sound heavy like it does on the other songs.

sargasm
05-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Love like winter = omg t3h sex

afi'er
05-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Yes, i/ve had a chance to hear ALL the songs including an unlisted track which surprisingly wasnt a hidden song but more like the stuff on STS "But home in no where" before it gets to the hidden track--- cool music with random voices rambling about something etc... but if there's a FULL hidden song i haven't heard it...

Also, after hearing Davey's voice on Miss Murder for several weeks b4 hearing the rest of the album I was afraid age was finally catching up to him because i felt like he was holding back,,, fortunately after hearing the hearing the rest, he still has it, but on the whole album he never lets his voice break down in the same way he does on on STS but his screams are more like black sails,, harder to understand and not as melodic etc...

As far as my fav's yea
Prelude 12/21 ---good intro like it,, on first listen i smiled when i heard the clap beat that if you don't go into the DENIAL stage ,youll admit sounds like a 50cent beat...ha but no its really cool

Kill Caustic ---good throw back and manages to capture imo the old sound pretty good...yes underproduced but i suspect its intentional

Miss Murder --good single has a funky beat afi's never used b4

Summer Shudder-- so far my favorite,, really after hearing it several times the chorus will bring you back for another listen...reminds me the most of STS...

The Interview-- good song and one that davey said was the band's fav on the album...if you like organ endings youll likethis one..

Love Like Winter (long live the 80's)

Affliction -- hard- faster paced and cool ending....

The Missing Frame (long live the 80's again)

Kiss and Control (really good too, is more reminiscent of sts too)

The Killing Lights (liked the feeling of this one, and of course kicking it of with davey's aaaaouH always is likable)

37mm --the techno influenced song everybody's talking about,, its good but its not the mix of techno/punk that death of seasons was... this sounds more like it'd be from davey's future blacq audio stuff --- also has a very 80's influenced sound,, but hey its 2006,, something old something new....ha

Endlessly She Said--good ending song,, but davey never really lets loose on it,, love the lyrics tho...

Random hidden music (really cool beat,, little wierd on what sounds like a recorded 911 call tho..) not sure if its after endlessly or where it is on the cd..but anyhow

its still afi,, davey's voice would sell albums from any decade or style and thats what they're doing,, just getting ready to sell albums to new generations knowing they won't lose the old generation and its music the band likes...so...btw some of you still talk about davey looking or not looking like a woman , come on... Sanfran, bay area, guys looking a bit feminine isn't new there right? its been a known fact for a few years...research it...

MidnightHours
05-30-2006, 01:35 AM

That's pretty funny.

Angelic_Demon
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
So true

tpen892004
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
^favourite song on the album

sargasm
05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
This album is definately growing on me in a big way.

The two screamo songs seem really out of place though. In fact, I think the album would be perfect without them, but they kind of disrupt the flow.

Angelic_Demon
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm really not that much into Davey's new scream, his STS scream was a lot better, this sounds very screamo indeed. I kind of like Kill Caustic, but I agree it really doesn't fit on the album. I also think the album is too short, I would have gone for a few more songs. I was sort of hoping the songs would be long as in a little progessive long.

lespaul_jube
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
This album is definately growing on me in a big way.

The two screamo songs seem really out of place though. In fact, I think the album would be perfect without them, but they kind of disrupt the flow.
which two?

MidnightHours
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
which two?

kill caustic is probably one he's talking about.

Alpha_Centauri
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
AFI do not remin static. I have full repect for their progression as musicians.

... I love Black sails in the sunset (my fave album of theirs), but i would not want them to release a BSITS rip-off album. Its all positive.

sargasm
05-30-2006, 10:37 PM
which two?

Kill Caustic and Affliction

Angelic_Demon
05-31-2006, 09:29 AM
^^ Kill Caustic doesn't fit on any AFI album and Affliction doesn't really fit on this album, it fits a little...

swansareroadkil
05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
is it just me, or does the unlisted song (the instrumental one) sound like its taken out of a blink-182 song? Personaly i like it cuz i like blink, but its pretty funny. Afi is the last band i thought would sound like blink. However, you cant say it doesnt sound nice to just close ure eyes and relax while listning to it.

DaveyHavokDavey
05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Angelic_Demon]I'm really not that much into Davey's new scream, his STS scream was a lot better, this sounds very screamo indeed. [QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more about the scream but this album sounds good too. A bit more poppy than i thought it would be and too many effects used in my opinion. Sing The Sorrow is still by far the best AFI album!

Ignite
06-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Agreed! Sing the Sorrow is the best AFI album!

And IMO, nothing will ever touch STS, as it's my favorite album of all time. Great, great album. And then Art of Drowning is my second favorite. Oh how I love that album.

I guess I should make a list of my favorite AFI albums from favorite to least-favorite. Here it is!

Sing the Sorrow
Art of Drowning
All Hollows E.P.
Decemberunderground
Black Sails in the Sunset
Answer That and Stay Fashionable
Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes
Very Proud of Ya

Everything else not listed means I don't have it.

(Yes, I know that was completely pointless, but I'm bored!)

Xenn99
06-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Sing The Sorrow is great. "Silver and Cold" is one of my favorite songs ever. And, no matter what CD's I'm listening to, I always feel myself wanting to listen to STS more.

joel_grieve
06-01-2006, 03:20 AM
not really liking the new songs. mainly because form what i've heard it sounds like a half assed sing the sorrow. i've noticed this though : every afi soung off sts or black sails i can listen to and feel something, you know like be that moved by the song. but with the new ones nothing....:(

sargasm
06-01-2006, 08:45 AM
not really liking the new songs. mainly because form what i've heard it sounds like a half assed sing the sorrow. i've noticed this though : every afi soung off sts or black sails i can listen to and feel something, you know like be that moved by the song. but with the new ones nothing....:(

It took me a few listens before I felt it, but now I find myself being rather moved by Prelude, The Interview, and Love like Winter.

lespaul_jube
06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
^yea...definitely the interview, missing frame hits the spot, along with summer shudder, one of my favourites on the album...

lespaul_jube
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
sorry about the double post...

but yea, the least favourite have got to be affliction...doesnt fit with the rest of the album IMO

Angelic_Demon
06-01-2006, 04:58 PM
37mm is my favorite right now, pretty weird as I love the natural energetic AFI and this is the most opposite song...

joel_grieve
06-02-2006, 07:20 AM
i understand it may take a few listens, but with black sails and sing the sorrow i instantly loved those albums. meh.

MidnightHours
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
sorry about the double post...

but yea, the least favourite have got to be affliction...doesnt fit with the rest of the album IMO

Miss Murder, Affliction and Kill Causitc don't fit what so ever. This really has been the first time in eleven years of listening to them that it didn't it seem like it was afi. With the early albums you had the signature afi sound, now it's like we have the every day top one hundred radio sound.

Actually, when I first heard they were going to do this album with the older afi sound in it...I thought we were getting a black sails meets sing the sorrow.

Rankles
06-02-2006, 05:58 PM
I've listened to the album countless times now and it really grew on me. In fact, i love it. It's mellow and very 80s. I love the electronics and I love the melody.

However it is no way punk. In fact it's not even AFI as we once knew. Since this change has now been cemented since STS with no punk roots showing through I'll be moving AFI threads to the Modern rock forum from now on.

tpen892004
06-02-2006, 07:03 PM
^this album definately takes a few listens ti get into...im loving it as well

sargasm
06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I've listened to the album countless times now and it really grew on me. In fact, i love it. It's mellow and very 80s. I love the electronics and I love the melody.

However it is no way punk. In fact it's not even AFI as we once knew. Since this change has now been cemented since STS with no punk roots showing through I'll be moving AFI threads to the Modern rock forum from now on.

The only problem I have with that is having to set foot inside the modern rock forum. :p:

Primate-Primus
06-02-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm not an AFI fan, but I'm not here to flame, but it bothers me that they are touring with Dillinger Escape Plan, does anyone know why this is happening?

Rankles
06-03-2006, 03:58 AM
The only problem I have with that is having to set foot inside the modern rock forum. :p:

I know it'll suck. I dunno man I mean they aren't posted about in any other forums. Oh what to do...

joel_grieve
06-03-2006, 05:21 AM
i just listened to the whole album on the mtv leak. :( i dont think i'll even buy this. like someone else said i was expecting a mix between black sails and STS. and i was dissapointed. there nothing wrong with this album, just nothing overally good about it. its a kinda post-STS thing, it cant really be topped.
Black Sails > STS imo,
STS > Art of Drowning.
Art of drowning > Shut you mouth and open you eyes. and every thing before it
STS > december underground
Black Sails> december underground
IMO of course.

Ignite
06-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Well AFI doesn't even label themselves as Punk anyway. On their myspace, they label themselves as "rock/rock/rock".

I mean, STS wasn't really punk... at all. More like upbeat modern rock.. with punky beats. And now DU is like modern rock with extreme 80's influence.

I miss the AOD/STS days.

joel_grieve
06-05-2006, 07:29 AM
^ i miss the black sails days. :(

sargasm
06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm going to try to get a job at warped.

Getting paid to see afi = sweet deal.

lespaul_jube
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Well AFI doesn't even label themselves as Punk anyway. On their myspace, they label themselves as "rock/rock/rock".

I mean, STS wasn't really punk... at all. More like upbeat modern rock.. with punky beats. And now DU is like modern rock with extreme 80's influence.

I miss the AOD/STS days.

get the new issue of Guitar World, theres a huge interview with Jade Puget, it talks about punk music, and what they think they are...

sargasm
06-05-2006, 06:45 PM
get the new issue of Guitar World, theres a huge interview with Jade Puget, it talks about punk music, and what they think they are...

That entails buying an issue of Guitar World... :puke:

sonixon
06-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Jordan <3

Anthony, throw them in the emo forum if you want. I know, I know, bleccch emooo but most bands are thrown in there anyways regardless of their actual genre. Many AFI threads have shown up there anyway.

sargasm
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Jeffff<33

I'd quite frankly rather go in the emo forum than modern rock.

Or we could just have our own forum called "omgAFI336fiveflowersclandestinelololol"

waterproofpie
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
I downloaded an AFI song...

I feel really dirty inside.

sargasm
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
You Liked It, Didn't You??

There's no crime in giving yourself over to pleasure...

Christinalovesafi!!!!!

lespaul_jube
06-05-2006, 09:25 PM
whats wrong with where it is now...

waldorphPRS41
06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
I love the new album. It's a little different but I really really like it and it's growing on me even more.

chloroformkisme
06-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Ok, I just bought decemberunderground and I love. Prelude12/21 is a great way to open the album and if you watch the entire video for "Miss Murder" it's how they open the video. I;m not disappointed and I am UBER PSYCHED for June 18th when I get to see AFI in Detriot at the 89x birthday bash!