(powertab)The Dark Streets of Paris

PDA

View Full Version : (powertab)The Dark Streets of Paris

piquet
01-12-2006, 12:40 PM
This is my first composition with powertab I am proud of. It's meant to paint a picture of well, the dark streets of Paris. I was thinking mid-19C when I wrote it, so .. enjoy it! I really loved making this one! :)

piratepirate
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
errr....sounds really dissonant. a lot of the chords dont fit that violin part and just sound really aweful.

and the guitar part is really just random and doesnt compliment either other part very well.

The violin part by itself wasnt bad, but partnered with these other parts and it all really just clashed and didnt sound very well.

piquet
01-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I see what you mean by that - but to a bit of my defense, it was actually supposed to sound like that (forgiving the ..fantastic quality that .midi presents). My guitar instructor from back when taught me the essense of dissonance, and how it sends a 'shiver' down the small of your back. He taught how different note/chord combinations effect different parts of the body for whatever the desired effect may be. For this song, I wanted a feel of unknowing fear, which ..well, I think came out all right. I do admit it got a little out of hand in section 41, but I used the slides because ptab doesn't really capture the sharpness of the hammer/pull.

I wrote it to be an unsettling piece, not a fluidic movement, but I will look into those chords. I didn't agree with them either, really. I chose them for their melencholic effect, but I think it's really just the bright sound of the guitar contrasting against the daunting violin (which I thought got a little repetetive, but in all fairness, I got lazy!)...

tubab0y
01-12-2006, 07:05 PM
thats pretty good...

Egrodyne
01-13-2006, 08:58 AM
I see what you mean by that - but to a bit of my defense, it was actually supposed to sound like that (forgiving the ..fantastic quality that .midi presents). My guitar instructor from back when taught me the essense of dissonance, and how it sends a 'shiver' down the small of your back. He taught how different note/chord combinations effect different parts of the body for whatever the desired effect may be. For this song, I wanted a feel of unknowing fear, which ..well, I think came out all right. I do admit it got a little out of hand in section 41, but I used the slides because ptab doesn't really capture the sharpness of the hammer/pull.

I wrote it to be an unsettling piece, not a fluidic movement, but I will look into those chords. I didn't agree with them either, really. I chose them for their melencholic effect, but I think it's really just the bright sound of the guitar contrasting against the daunting violin (which I thought got a little repetetive, but in all fairness, I got lazy!)...

Thats all very well....but its gone far to far in this song....it just feels lost, not scary....

piquet
01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
So to help make it 'better', what should I work on? I tried to make everything 'not fit' - which can be heard especially in the part with all of the sliding up and down the scale. Should I take that out and maybe do an arpeggio form? I'm sorry, but I am having trouble seeing past what I have, but do want it to be an 'enjoyable' listen for people who are not me..

hthedinga
01-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Compliment sandwhich:
The first three measures were pretty good
Measures in 4/4 time should have 4 beats in them
Too repetative
Too dissonant
Not a whole lot of value to this song
Solid attempt at a song

Philosopher1989
01-13-2006, 04:15 PM
It overall get somewhat repeative and I'm not a big fan of the dssonace since you have to carefully use that element of music. Some parts were okay but try a different way of harmony since dissonace can get to you after a while (4th, 3rds, etc harmony). And if u're looking to make something scary, try the Diminished Scale, you can get some weird sounds from it.

piquet
01-13-2006, 04:17 PM
OK, so cut down on dissonance, switch it up a bit and change up the scales! I thank you for the crits - they're really helping me get to know how to make my music better.

piquet
01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I apologize for posting twice, but I figured it would be better than starting a new thread in this case.

I was thinking that after the 1st part of the song, I fade out the violin and enter the rhythm for some rhythmic power chords. I was thinking something along the lines of this:

A:|-2-2-2-2-3-2-2-2-|(repeatx3)-|-2-2-3-2-5-
E:|-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-|-----------|-0-0-1-0-3-

I really dont' want to get too metal, but if it must be done....

saddam
01-14-2006, 11:57 AM
i liked the melodies, but the dissonance doesn't work in the way you meant it to. and there's this little part that is in 4/4 but only has 6 8th notes everytime. you should put that in 6/8, it'll sound more correct.

please check out mine : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4777312#post4777312