Jamming with a second guitarist

PDA

View Full Version : Jamming with a second guitarist

OpFor
01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
A friend of mine never wants to jam because he's into slower emo type rock and I like stuff like fall of troy or ATDI. He has this whole attitude that the song must either be really slow and emoish or he cant play it. He refuses to even play if I'm in drop D. Any ideas on what I should do?

BluesHombre
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
**** em and find another guitarist that isn't a close minded pretentious bastard.

Grunge
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Tell him that he either compromises (you both play each other's music), or nobody plays at all. People need to be flexible. If he's ABLE to play it, he shouldn't have a problem with it.

Skadogg
01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, seriously. Any "musician" who only wants to play one style of music is not worth jamming with. When I jam with my friends, we'll play a blues song, then a post-punk Gang of Four style jam, then some reggae, basically whatever the hell comes up next. Playing all different music types makes you a better guitarist and musician. We only play the same stuff when we're practicing a song.

sevendayloss
01-13-2006, 11:49 PM
show him whos boss
:cheers:

Dirk Gently
01-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Not all musicians are compatible. You might not be able to play with each other unless it's with a bottle of astroglide and some roofies.

deusexbass2150
01-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Sticking with just one type of music when jamming isn't too good, I would say find another one but you could also try it then go into something spontaneous that isn't the slow emo thing and he might like it.

Open his mind
(If that doesn't work find someone else)

KENZI
01-14-2006, 09:24 AM
**** em and find another guitarist that isn't a close minded pretentious bastard.

thats some damn good advice but yuo could still use him to practise slow music with.

PICKS r4 DICKS
01-20-2006, 05:54 PM
well im not very fond of any new rock music now. and if he wants to a pussy let him go kill himself

lmnop
01-22-2006, 05:19 PM
tell him to suck it up, i play in open C while my friend jams over me in standard and its pretty slick, tell him to suck it up or get someone else

Wasted_Sorrow
01-22-2006, 06:44 PM
tell him to suck it up, i play in open C while my friend jams over me in standard and its pretty slick, tell him to suck it up or get someone else

Yeah you can always do that. (Anything you can play on standard you can also play on any drop tuning, so it would sound fine.)

Remebol
01-22-2006, 09:29 PM
well what u can do is - get with the other band mates, learn a song ( not a song that wwill blantly piss off the guitarst, but a song you all agree on that you all like) and then come to pracitce and start playing the song, and tel lthe guitarist to learn the song, if he disagrees to learn the song, kick him out, if he learns the song - do what u want with him at that point

robertreilly666
01-24-2006, 01:20 AM
id break this fingers

Piltdown
01-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Why should he care if you are in Drop D? It doesn't make a difference to him. I personally think you should find someone else who likes what you like to jam with, as tastes that differ that much might not blend well.

Off topic, i'm glad to see ONE other person on Earth likes Fall of Troy. Very few people where I live have ever heard of them :) .