classic rock set list

PDA

View Full Version : classic rock set list

onenakfaplease
01-13-2006, 07:22 PM
ok my band have our first proper gig in about a month. the audience will be emo/rockers. we play classic rock/blues rock - hendrix, cream all that stuff.

we will have about a forty five minute set.

our guitarist has talked us into playing "are you ready - thin lizzy" despite it not being our style...

so far our track listing roughly is...

are you ready? - thin lizzy
wild thing - the troggs
take me out - franz ferdinand
foxey lady - jimi
hard to handle - otis reading/black crowes
mollys chambers - kings of leon
purple haze - jimi

what else you guys think? different order? what other songs?

gpb0216
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Sunshine of Your Love or Crossroads - Cream
Locomotive Breath or Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Takin' Care of Business - Bachmann Turner Overdrive
Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan
Dust in the Wind - Kansas
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones

igotabcrich32
01-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Take Me Out, Wild Thing, and Mollys Chamber kind of ruin it for me, i saw get some known Zeppelin or Stones in there that will get the crowd pumped.

onenakfaplease
01-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Sunshine of Your Love or Crossroads - Cream
Locomotive Breath or Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Takin' Care of Business - Bachmann Turner Overdrive
Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan
Dust in the Wind - Kansas
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones

used to play sunshine - too slow
hate jethro :D
thought BTO only had one good song - will download
steely dan :cool:
never heard of dust in the wind
brown sugar we would definately do if we had two guitarists

onenakfaplease
01-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Take Me Out, Wild Thing, and Mollys Chamber kind of ruin it for me, i saw get some known Zeppelin or Stones in there that will get the crowd pumped.

i wish bonham was still alive so i could kill the lot of them

ibanezGAX75
01-13-2006, 07:50 PM
how do you drag that few songs into 45 minutes? when my band plays a gig, we make a set list of about 40-45 songs.

coming from tons of personal experience, if you are adding songs to that, i would add some more upbeat type stuff that people can dance to. maybe some ac/dc or zz top if you want to stay with the classic rock type stuff.

i have seen bands play gigs and sound amazing, but get a horrible crowd response, simply because they didnt play "fun" music for the crowd. on the other end, i have seen bands who could hardly play their instruments, and have the whole crowd think that they are great, because the songs they played had a good beat and got the crowd dancing and having fun.

when we put together our set list, we try to start with something easy, but sounds good. to get the crowd going a bit. we always try to end with our best stuff. if you have some songs that are slower, try to follow them up with something more up beat.

good luck

Caressing Death
01-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin
and
Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
Them two songs combined can kill a man!

KENZI
01-14-2006, 09:23 AM
ibanezGAX75 has got some good advice for the classic rock vibe, a good bti of ZZ Top or AC/DC would probably go down quite well if you can get the tone right.

onenakfaplease
01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
yeah i forgot to say we're playing

touch to much - ac/dc

and hopefully

she loves my automobile - zz top

ibanezGAX75
01-14-2006, 01:19 PM
yeah i forgot to say we're playing

touch to much - ac/dc

and hopefully

another good older ac/dc tune that my band does is rock'n'roll damnation. really easy to play, no real solo to it, so you could probably pull it up really quick. we sped it up just a touch. it has a great dance vibe to it.

semus
01-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Why not play ur own stuff?

ibanezGAX75
01-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Why not play ur own stuff?

there are lots of reasons why they may not want to play their own stuff:
1. they probably dont have their own stuff
2. if they do, maybe it doesnt suit the crowd
3. where i am from, most bars won't hire you if you play originals, so it may be the same thing where they are.

gpb0216
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
hate jethroI find it utterly amazing that anyone who likes classic rock enough to put together a set of songs from that era could hate Jethro Tull. One of the best butt-kicking live bands ever to hit the road, in my opinion. Have you ever actually heard Locomotive Breath?
never heard of dust in the windGreat song, and a monster hit in the mid-70s. But if Sunshine of Your Love is too slow for you, you can go ahead and dismiss Dust in the Wind out of hand.
brown sugar we would definately do if we had two guitaristsI never found one guitar to be a limitation with this song. But then again, in those days I was playing in bar bands and the drinking, throbbing crowd was only interested in dancing and getting the other sex home and into bed with them. The subtleties of a two-guitar rendition of Brown Sugar would have been lost on them, no doubt.

Good luck with your first gig. Please let us know how it goes.

Bulletbass man
01-14-2006, 11:07 PM
uh you don't play classic rock. Only like 2 songs were classic rock. But if you want try zeppelin sabbath van halen all them bands man i think you already know the bands you like.

onenakfaplease
01-15-2006, 08:03 AM
gee man did i not already explain that it was an emo/rocker crowd so half of them don't know their own gender never mind a repertoire of classic rock.

and bulletman, you "grungegod" "grunge head", i dont think you can tell me anything about classic rock ;)

gpb, im only generalizing with jethro tull ;) and sunshine is too slow for this crowd.

oh, and this isn't our first gig ;)

this is our first gig to an audience who aren't into "our" music.

we've now also agreed on

brown sugar - rolling stones
a whawha version of "oh flower of scotland" - geddit?

:cheers:

oh and for the cynics, songs like mollys chambers are to get the crowd going and we're dropping franz ferdinand ;)

opf
01-16-2006, 05:35 AM
I hate to be counter productive and all but... how did Franz Ferdinand get into your set list of classic rock??? If you are going to thrown that in then why not play one or two other modern songs...???
The Artic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor

d_man2k
01-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Van Halen - Ain?t Talkin ?Bout Love
Kiss - Crazy Crazy Nights (or God of Thunder, both excellent songs)
Run DMC feat. Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
The Knack - My Sharona
The Troggs - Wild Thing
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love?

Say 3 minutes a song, plus noodling around and talking the the audience inbetween songs, comes to about 40-45 minutes.

Our band does a lot of those songs, but I'll let you have our setlist ;)

I hate to be counter productive and all but... how did Franz Ferdinand get into your set list of classic rock??? If you are going to thrown that in then why not play one or two other modern songs...???
The Artic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dance Floor

123. Great song :cool:

uh you don't play classic rock. Only like 2 songs were classic rock. But if you want try zeppelin sabbath van halen all them bands man i think you already know the bands you like.

Except Sabbath aren't Classic rock.

semus
01-16-2006, 06:44 AM
there are lots of reasons why they may not want to play their own stuff:
1. they probably dont have their own stuff
2. if they do, maybe it doesnt suit the crowd
3. where i am from, most bars won't hire you if you play originals, so it may be the same thing where they are.

about #3 - ye, that makes since.

about #2 - there are different places for different crowds. you can always find a
fit crowd to play to.

about #1 - i dunno about others, but i feel really like a stupid poser playing other
people's music.

anyway, GOOD LUCK on first gig, hope u get the crowd goin :)

Rocker4500
01-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

Get them rockin'!

The Who #1
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Any Who, Zeppelin, or Stone song

slaptasticdave
01-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Any Who, Zeppelin, or Stone song

*reported*

next time try avoiding to post in a thread that's been dead for 3 years

Zakk_Lp
01-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I know its a little late to put loads of new tracks in but we have a fairly big classic rock influence and with covers we do stuff that appeals to a modern audience too so they enjoy it as much as us throw in something like walk this way or under the bridge or something.

Edit: sorry i didnt read the posts so i didnt know it was that old :\

Scott O
07-26-2013, 01:01 AM
How did the gig go?

pavnick91
07-26-2013, 01:15 AM
I just get a lil tipsy and(technobad) jam BACH