Major Gig problem

PDA

View Full Version : Major Gig problem

Dutch_Apples
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
We have a MAJOR gigging problem that has come up and I seriously need some advice. We have spent the last month practicing 3-4 days a week and we usually split that up by half originals/half covers since we had the intention to start playing at bars/clubs in our area to make some money. We practiced about 30-40 of them and got them down.

Friday night we played our first bar gig opening up for a band in a resort town outside of our county. They told us it was a 21+ show (so we couldn't bring our fan base in since our fan base is pretty much 13-18 year olds) The band informed us that they wanted to play with us because we have a younger fan base, but also that we can't gig in our own county because there is some law about bars hiring underage musicians.

Our band members age ranges from 18-21 (Me being the only member that is 21.) I haven't seen many bands my age at bars because usually when I talk to bands my age, they are against doing covers for "artistic reasons." I haven't heard of any law of this sort and have seen bands with underage kids (although their parents were there.)

We haven't bothered presenting our stuff to clubs yet because we were waiting until we get some of the covers recorded and get a good press kit. My question is, if this rumor is true what should we do? Traveling to perform the covers isn't really an option since we are in a rural area and it would mean driving an hour or so to a bar, but we do need a 21+ fan base.

Should we stop learning covers and focus strongly on original gigs? Any advice?

gpb0216
01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Friday night we played our first bar gig opening up for a band in a resort town outside of our county. They told us it was a 21+ show (so we couldn't bring our fan base in since our fan base is pretty much 13-18 year olds) The band informed us that they wanted to play with us because we have a younger fan base, but also that we can't gig in our own county because there is some law about bars hiring underage musicians.Have you verified that this is indeed the law in your county, or are you taking this other band's word for this?
Our band members' ages range from 18-21 (Me being the only member that is 21.) I haven't seen many bands my age at bars because usually when I talk to bands my age, they are against doing covers for "artistic reasons."Musicians who are against doing covers for "artistic reasons" usually keep their day jobs forever.
I haven't heard of any law of this sort and have seen bands with underage kids (although their parents were there.)Again, it is very much in your best interests to find out for yourself, from someone in a position to know, exactly what the law is where you're hoping to play.
We haven't bothered presenting our stuff to clubs yet because we were waiting until we get some of the covers recorded and get a good press kit. My question is, if this rumor is true what should we do? Traveling to perform the covers isn't really an option since we are in a rural area and it would mean driving an hour or so to a bar, but we do need a 21+ fan base.I don't know how to break this to you, but traveling is part of being a gigging musician.
Should we stop learning covers and focus strongly on original gigs? Any advice?This question is confusing. Are you saying that only bands playing original music are allowed to play bars in Maryland? Or is it that only people aged 21+ are allowed into bars that hire bands that play only original music? How exactly are covers / original songs related to the ages of people allowed to frequent bars in your Maryland county?